• Sell ok I guess

• Sell more than we expect

• Sell like gangbusters

• Cyberfrunk 2: The Bulletproof World

Results are only viewable after voting.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I still think it looks like one of those "futuristic" cars from an 80's/90's film.

Not sure I like that look either.

I guess if I wanted an EV truck, I'd want a Lightning still.

Because it looks like a truck
It was designed that way specifically because Musk wanted a truck that looked like it was from Blade Runner.

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly this looks more like something out of the game Hard Drivin

384681321_379bc2bc1b_z.jpg

Horrendous design. Also how does this qualify as a truck with the closed cab?

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why is he unhappy, this Nissan all under his supervision, the quality is shit because of you pal

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
At this point they are just fucking with potential buyers right? Just spit balling how much dumb shit they can get away with

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
Worth reiterating. Cars are designed to protect the people inside and not outside, especially in America.
And when we say "cars" we mean the entire automotive spectrum, including pickups, SUVs, crossovers as well as sedans, wagons and hatchbacks, but the first three are most dangerous to people.

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
It looks awful x 10

It's as if some dude wrecked his pickup, but had sheet metal to spare.

Oct 26, 2017

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I'm not gonna lie I actually really love how ugly they are. They're the kind of ugly that makes me happy.

Like I'd never buy one because I don't trust the ecosystem in the slightest but I actually dig how they look so fucking ugly. It's like the fucked up the model order so the low poly version got loaded up close and it's a beautiful stupid mess.

Would never get it but lmao, I kinda like it.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'm misremembering, but I recall a good number of people tripping over themselves preordering the Cybertruck in the announcement thread lol. They still around?

Yeah I definitely recall the launch sentiment had a lot of "you know what, YOLO, this might be the next big thing, I'm IN" vibe from people.

Higher poly count than the cyber truck.

also LMAO first time hearing that music.
While there were some of those people later in the thread as most moved onto other things, reaction was pretty overwhelmingly negative from the start.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not gonna lie I actually really love how ugly they are. They're the kind of ugly that makes me happy.

Like I'd never buy one because I don't trust the ecosystem in the slightest but I actually dig how they look so fucking ugly. It's like the fucked up the model order so the low poly version got loaded up close and it's a beautiful stupid mess.

Would never get it but lmao, I kinda like it.
I'm almost there with ya. Needs a paint job that looks like a warped PS1 texture map to complete the look.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Elon Musk just isn't as universally cool anymore. It's a similar deal with Tesla but that was already in people's hands before his rep started to tank. Buying into Tesla and Cyber Truck for many was much less about the product itself and more about buying into the Elon Musk persona.
But the Tesla look like elegant Sedans. You can't really compare Tesla's to cybertrucks and say people liked then both because of Musk.

R1CHO

Oct 28, 2017
If Coke can do it, so we can.

Motherfucker are you making cans?

If you need 10 microns precision, what you need is to change the design.

Oct 26, 2017
Can Lego sets float? The ones I grew up with didn't

Every Lego set can briefly serve as a boat.

Speaking of Lego, does anyone else have a problem with buying sets with the full intent to build them, but either never finding the time to build them, or just not feeling like it? Don't have the money for any of the big sets sadly, but I'm still sitting on Everyone is Awesome, TIE Bomber, Death Star Trench Run, and a couple other small sets. And I also have a few Prince of Persia sets I bought because nobody wanted them so they went on cheap clearance many, many years ago.

Build and display EiA at least. Luckily if you don't care for unopened Lego, you can usually sell it for more after a few years.

Tranquility

Oct 28, 2017
Does Elon even know how a soda can is made and how it can reach such small tolerances?
It takes at least 13 steps in a machine to just form the can part, before you put the lid on.

Unknown

Oct 29, 2017
Does Elon even know how a soda can is made and how it can reach such small tolerances?
It takes at least 13 steps in a machine to just form the can part, before you put the lid on.

Never mind that Lego's entire business has been built around their massive advantages in large scale ultra-precision manufacturing, right?.

First hand accounts I've heard about him suggest he has a profound lack of respect for the time and capabilities of those he works and competes with.

"Now we are entering the final crunch on this directionless vanity project of mine, I have decided that you all need to make sure that a key requirement I never planned for is not only met, but actually exceedes all industry benchmarks and norms to an extent that haters would say isn't physically possible. To prove them wrong here are two world class examples from unrelated industries, using very different materials and processes that clearly show this is actually a totally trivial to do. I will not be taking questions." /s

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Someone should tell him that this is physically impossible with the current materials they are using considering they shrink and expand based on temperature way above that precision, lol.

Lol

Also manufacturing techniques are more like kitchen doors - you need tolerance to allow for rapid fit and you can adjust later. If you need that insane tolerance that won't work - it has to fit perfectly in a single position/orientation

Add to Tesla already iffy QC and this ain't happening.

Also not sure why it has to happen. I'd have though uniform gaps would work ok (if similarly difficult for them)

Ayato_Kanzaki

Nov 22, 2017
Call me paranoid if you wish, but I think that in Elon's mind, the Cybertruck is the future armored car wealthy people will use in the post-economic collapse era to move around without being bothered by the unwashed masses.

When you take a hard look at every project Musk is pushing, from Tesla cars to hyperloop or going to Mars, it is clear that the future he has in mind is for the upper middle class and the wealthy.

So gaps that said masses might pry open with crowbars or something are unacceptable to him.

Mar 7, 2020
USA
Call me paranoid if you wish, but I think that in Elon's mind, the Cybertruck is the future armored car wealthy people will use in the post-economic collapse era to move around without being bothered by the unwashed masses.

When you take a hard look at every project Musk is pushing, from Tesla cars to hyperloop or going to Mars, it is clear that the future he has in mind is for the upper middle class and the wealthy.

So gaps that said masses might pry open with crowbars or something are unacceptable to him.

so able to drive on water as boat is also part of his plans to escape from the mass of poor people attacking him in the post apocalypse?

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Let me guess, the whole thing went something like:
Elon: "Do it exactly like this"
Engineers: "But that will look terrible and suck"
Elon: "Do it, I'm the boss"

Later

Elon: "This sucks and it's all your fault, fix it"

Some Tesla engineers secretly started designing a Cybertruck alternative because they 'hated' the original concept

Some Tesla engineers weren't fans of Elon Musk's plans for the Cybertruck, the automaker's design chief Franz von Holzhausen
"A majority of the people in this studio hated it," von Holzhausen said of the futuristic design, according to the book. "They were like, 'You can't be serious.' They didn't want to have anything to do with it. It was just too weird."
Some Tesla engineers even took to covertly designing another version of the electric pickup after they saw a mock-up of the futuristic truck on display at SpaceX's showroom in Los Angeles during the summer of 2019
But Musk was "less patient," Isaacson reported, and did not want to hear concerns related to the Cybertruck.

"I don't do focus groups," the Tesla CEO said
www.google.com

Some Tesla engineers secretly started designing a Cybertruck alternative because they 'hated' the original concept, according to the new Elon Musk biography

"They were like, 'You can't be serious.' They didn't want to have anything to do with it," Franz von Holzhausen said, according to Walter Isaacson.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone tell Elon that Legos have tight tolerances because they're small and that you physically can't achieve that with large sheets of stainless steel? Is he an Era gaming poster who says that the devs should simply optimize better?

"Just tighten up the dynamics on axel 3"

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
Um, Elon Musk is a brilliant man with lots of well-thought-out, practical ideas. He is insuring the financial security of this company for years to come. Oh yes, and his personal tweets are above reproach.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Considering that I've seen people picking apart Teslas with their bare hands, I don't get a positive mental image when I hear him comparing his target build quality to Legos.

Deleted member 20986

Oct 28, 2017
There's giving your staff lofty goals to aim for, and there's telling your staff to make unicorns.

Lv99 Slacker

Oct 27, 2017
This thing was ugly from the jump upon first reveal. I thought that was part of the meme package that appealed to Musk fans?

Ayato_Kanzaki

Nov 22, 2017
so able to drive on water as boat is also part of his plans to escape from the mass of poor people attacking him in the post apocalypse?

No. The boat part is just some random bullcrap he spewed, just like when he claimed his X app would caputre over half of financial transactions. Not something he really wants or thinks he can achieve.