• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cybertruck will

• Bomba

• Sell some for sure

• Sell ok I guess

• Sell more than we expect

• Sell like gangbusters

• Cyberfrunk 2: The Bulletproof World

Results are only viewable after voting.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017

View: https://x.com/adambrowning/status/1705672169068663105?s=46

View: https://x.com/klwtts/status/1705409441586467231?s=46

Elon Musk is not impressed with the build quality of Tesla's new Cybertruck. On Wednesday, the Tesla CEO told followers on social media that he "just drove the production candidate Cybertruck at Tesla Giga Texas," as the angular pickup slowly moves from concept to something real people might be able to drive. But workers at the Tesla factory may be in for sleepless nights in the coming weeks and months, judging by a company-wide email first seen by the Cybertruck Owner's Club.

"Due to the nature of Cybertruck, which is made of bright metal with mostly straight edges, any dimensional variation shows up like a sore thumb," Musk wrote in the email. Indeed, every image we've seen of the Cybertruck thus far—including those posted by Musk to his social media account yesterday—shows shockingly inconsistent build quality, particularly at the front of the vehicle where multiple stainless steel panels meet at angles that remind some of a deli slicer.

"All parts for this vehicle, whether internal or from suppliers, need to be designed and built to sub 10 micron accuracy. That means all part dimensions need to be to the third decimal place in millimeters and tolerances need to be specified in single digit microns. If LEGO and soda cans, which are very low cost, can do this, so can we," Musk wrote, referringto products that are the result of decades of constant manufacturing improvement.

Why does this matter?

"Customers may not visit showrooms with gap gauges, but they do unconsciously register the harmony and "one-ness" of a car with gaps so narrow that it looks like a seamless shape. It's a visual manifestation of precision, care, and thus, quality," wrote Bob Lutz, who at various times ran each of the big three US automakers.

Publicizing one's ability to build cars with small, consistent panel gaps is a point of pride for automakers, particularly those at the premium end of the market. Few brands demonstrated the importance of that perceived quality to customers more than Lexus, which in 1992 made a point of showing off just how consistent its manufacturing was with the aid of a ball bearing in a widely remembered TV commercial.

This is not the first time Musk has admonished his workers to build his cars more precisely. In 2018, perhaps embarrassed by constant media reports of wildly inconsistent panel gaps, Musk emailed his workers to tell them, "Our car needs to be designed and built with such accuracy and precision that, if an owner measures dimensions, panel gaps and flushness, and their measurements don't match the Model 3 specs, it just means that their measuring tape is wrong."

Judging by ongoing complaints from new owners at forums like the Tesla Motor Club and the company's poor showing in JD Power's Initial Quality Surveys, Tesla might want to start including its own measuring tape with each new car because five years after that first email, it appears the OEM's problems have not gone away.
arstechnica.com

Musk unhappy with Cybertruck’s poor quality, calls for Lego-like precision

After driving a production prototype, Musk told his workers to do better.

Was originally buried in an older thread, so just started this

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
How do Tesla engineers not die of cringe when they hear something like this? Whats their pay like compared to industry?

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How many tens of thousands of surprised Pikachu faces will be made when insurance is going to be like $4,000 for 6 months of coverage.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone tell Elon that Legos have tight tolerances because they're small and that you physically can't achieve that with large sheets of stainless steel? Is he an Era gaming poster who says that the devs should simply optimize better?

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
sub 10 micron accuracy?

If there's one thing Tesla has been known for it's panel gap and overall assembly shoddiness. Not sure why Elon thought this would be different.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
From the first moment I saw the Cybertruck, I thought it looked hideous and stupid. That he opted for a design with sharp angles that is going to show off bad panel gaps like bright red pimples is just the icing on the cake.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
what kinda damage do the sharp edges do to someone in an accident? i thought car shapes were designed a specific way for safety reasons these days.

RetroRunner

Dec 6, 2020
Did anyone tell Elon that Legos have tight tolerances because they're small and that you physically can't achieve that with large sheets of stainless steel? Is he an Era gaming poster who says that the devs should simply optimize better?
I saw someone do the calculation that the stainless steel frame would bend that much with a 1 degree temperature change

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017

This is telling me they should make the cybertruck out of millions of tiny Lego sized pieces so it explodes on impact.

DMczaf

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
This shit is boring me now, because the Development Process has been going on for like what, 5-6 years? And now that social media is laughing at him he goes "HEY! HEYYYYYYYYY!!! This isn't good quality guys!!! I'm putting my foot down!!!" when he's approved everything that we see on social media and now the city streets.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Such an odd vanity project. If you want to make a sci-fi car at least pick a cooler design

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
John Deloran had to use Cocaine to get it to work

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
That monstrosity could be constructed by advanced aliens and it would still look like shit.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
He should've switched to Unreal Engine. One a serious note, that is one butt ugly truck.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
A truck made out of LEGO would look better

Exhibit A:
lego-10290-pickup-truck-1024x740.jpg

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Probably not a good idea to have a design like that in the first place. It's pretty ugly also.

froday

Jul 29, 2018
Looks worse than those super car kit cars people build in their garages.

Why do people get excited about tesla stuff?

delete

Jul 4, 2019
I thought Teslas were known for having pretty bad panel gaps and build quality? Seems it's par for the course really.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Woof it looks dreadful from behind (in general I think it looks bad, but those tweets are next level).

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
I just want to see the first snowy winter of this truck. I heard you guys use salt to melt snow. The rust will be epic.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like a major safety hazard for pedestrians and bikers with the way it's shaped.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
From the first moment I saw the Cybertruck, I thought it looked hideous and stupid. That he opted for a design with sharp angles that is going to show off bad panel gaps like bright red pimples is just the icing on the cake.

I felt the same way when it was announced. Weird, impractical and ugly. But there were plenty of people- both online and in my actual social circle- talking about how they loved the looks, they were going to buy one at launch, etc.

What changed, that this now seems universally despised? Was it just the novelty of the thing that caught people's eyes?

Jeffapp

Oct 29, 2017
This is by far the ugliest car I've ever seen. I wouldn't drive this if I got one free

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly impressed they made it look far stupider in production. That was a high bar with the reveal model.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Someone should tell him that this is physically impossible with the current materials they are using considering they shrink and expand based on temperature way above that precision, lol.