entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I stick to English if its available. I don't want to deal with subtitles, especially since they're poorly formatted many times. Tiny text and so on.

I used to be a Japanese language person during my Japanophile years. That's long gone.

lightchris

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
To be honest I don't really care that much about what "the developer had in mind". I'm in for my personal enjoyment after all.

I just tend to enjoy Japanese games more with their Japanese voice acting. And yes, I think the Japanese voice acting in these games is better in most of the cases, or to be more specific, it is more to my personal taste. That may very well be due to the fact that my Japanese is much worse than my English, and as such I don't notice the shortcomings. But even knowing this doesn't change the outcome, which simply is that I enjoy the Japanese version more.

There's one thing I often notice in dubbed Japanese games though (regardless of the quality or flaws of the Japanese voice acting): The English voice acting in these games just is.. different than in most other western games. I'm not even sure if it's down to the choice of voice actors itself or if they're told to speak in certain way. But it just strikes me as odd.

Of course there are exceptions to the rule. For example, I liked the English voice acting in Xenoblade Chronicles which fit pretty well.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
There's one thing I often notice in dubbed Japanese games though (regardless of the quality or flaws of the Japanese voice acting): The English voice acting in these games just is.. different than in most other western games. I'm not even sure if it's down to the choice of voice actors itself or if they're told to speak in certain way. But it just strikes me as odd.

The main reason behind it is that the scenes are animated and lipflapped differently from western games. Not every game is Kingdom Hearts, where all of the facial animations are redone for the Western version.

This is why

you get a lot of

dramatic pauses between (or within) lines. Because Japanese voice actors love to do shit like that and the Western VAs have to do what they can to fit their lines into the lipflaps they've been given.