Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is ridiculous, NAACP attorney and civil rights activist Sherrilyn Ifill was literally asked to give up her seat on an Amtrak train yesterday, Friday, January 17th right before MLK weekend begun:

She revealed that it was just her singled out to ask to move to a different seat on the Amtrak train:

Baltimore Sun article:

January 18, 2020

Sherrilyn Ifill was returning to Baltimore from New York on Amtrak train 80 Friday, as she does at the end of many working weeks, when she says a junior conductor approached and asked her to give up her seat.

To say that the internationally known civil rights attorney and activist bristled would be an understatement.

"When I was laying her out to the [lead] conductor, at one point, I said, 'I can sit where I want,' and I thought, 'This isn't 1950,' " the Baltimore resident, who is African American, wrote in her Twitter feed Friday night.

What unfolded in the pages of Ifill's Twitter account was a sometimes irate description of an incident that is evoking memories of just the kinds of civil rights violations she has spent her career fighting, all as Martin Luther King Jr. Day weekend — a time she calls "sacred" — was getting under way.

"I am colossally disappointed in @Amtrak for both this incident & the way it was handled,'" she tweeted Saturday afternoon.

Jason Abrams, an Amtrak spokesman, said in an email to The Sun that the company tried "numerous times" to reach out to Ifill directly Friday night and apologized to her upon finally reaching her Saturday morning.

"We should have responded publicly sooner, and we apologized for the incident and our slow response," Abrams wrote. "Amtrak is looking into the matter more closely so that we can prevent situations like this going forward."

Ifill, the president and director of the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund in New York and cousin of the late former Evening Sun reporter and PBS political analyst Gwen Ifill, did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

According to her Twitter account, she was sitting in a general-admission area of a largely empty passenger car Friday when a female conductor asked her to leave her seat and move into another car.

"The conductor has asked me to leave my seat because she has 'other people coming who she wants to give this seat.' Can you please explain?" she tweeted at 5:36 p.m. Friday, directing her words toward Amtrak officials as well as her more than 163,000 Twitter followers.

Ifill later called for a lead conductor in order to voice her displeasure, but the encounter that followed only compounded her frustration.

"I laid it out. [The younger conductor] now said 'she wanted to keep empty seats at the front,' " Ifill wrote. "Me: 'oh so there were no 'special passengers.' "

The senior conductor offered his apologies, Ifill wrote, but the younger agent simply said, "Follow me; I've found a seat for you."

"What really disturbs me is how someone with this authority can just entirely make up something so ridiculous and approach a customer in this way," Ifill tweeted. "I did wonder when she was carrying on — how far will I take this? And the immediate answer in my mind was 'all the way.' "

On Saturday morning, Ifill noted that as the situation developed, Amtrak officials began following her account online but nonetheless waited to reach out to her publicly, via Twitter, or privately by direct message.

"You are doing this all wrong," she wrote in a tweet meant for Amtrak officials.

As Ifill described the events in real time, her followers took umbrage — and pointed to painful echoes.

Rosa Parks' refusal to give up her seat at the front of a bus in Montgomery, Alabama, in 1955 is considered a turning point in the civil rights movement, and the fact that this incident happened on the cusp of Martin Luther King Jr. weekend only deepened the irony for some.

"Shades of similarities from civil rights history are [so] fitting here that it doesn't even need mentioning ... what this reminds you of," @_amroali tweeted.

"Rosa Parks in 2020. Unbelievable," @ShaimaStreet wrote.

Spokespersons for the passenger service have informed Ifill that an investigation is under way.

"We apologize again for what happened on the train last night and understand that both this and our slow response are upsetting," one Amtrak official tweeted on Saturday. "Our senior business and operations executives are sharing the information we received from you by phone with internal teams so that we can learn and prevent situations like this going forward."

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I posted this earlier and it got no traction, but your OP is better so I hope you have better luck.

Also what a bizarre story. All the apologies but no one can give a good reason why the conductor would do that. I mean we probably know why, but still. At least Amtrak (finally) reached out.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
59f91a6f79546a883e0c2e865fd8a920.jpg

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I posted this earlier and it got no traction, but your OP is better so I hope you have better luck.

Also what a bizarre story. All the apologies but no one can give a good reason why the conductor would do that. I mean we probably know why, but still. At least Amtrak (finally) reached out.

That's after she publicly called out Amtrak for the lack of an official response to her:

Nov 1, 2017
Have you ever been sitting and relaxing in your favourite chair, accompanied by your cat who has taken residence in your lap?

Added to that, you're enjoying a nice cup of tea and thinking to yourself 'I haven't been on ResetEra all day. I think I'll check in.'

Before you see what's going on in the gaming world, you stop into EtcetEra. A disheartening title catches your eye. After reading it, all you can do is heave a heavy sigh, the remaining sips have turned to sand, the lovely taste of a moment ago, ruined by disgusting people.

Maybe it's just me?

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Have you ever been sitting and relaxing in your favourite chair, accompanied by your cat who has taken residence in your lap?

Added to that, you're enjoying a nice cup of tea and thinking to yourself 'I haven't been on ResetEra all day. I think I'll check in.'

Before you see what's going on in the gaming world, you stop into EtcetEra. A disheartening title catches your eye. After reading it, all you can do is heave a heavy sigh, the remaining sips have turned to sand, the lovely taste of a moment ago, ruined by disgusting people.

Maybe it's just me?
The OT is such a consistent downer that I have to brace myself for negativity every time I check for new threads.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
That moment when you pull some racist ass Rosa Parks bullshit (on MLK weekend no less) and it turns out the black lady you're doing it to is an NAACP lawyer. Plot twist!

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

Maybe it's just me?

Why would you do that? ERA outside of the random hype threads is usually either bad news, or things that are divisive.

My advice is to 'watch' threads that usually have good vibes (usually communities) or things like movie reviews or whatever and stick to that.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Holy fucking shit.

Us asians are with you. Once they get you, they move to the Jews and then us. That train is never late.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
But this was truly bizarre. I left the train at Baltimore and called over the lead conductor and the agent/conductor who attempted to remove me from my seat. I laid it out. She mow said "she wanted to keep empty seats at the front." Me: "oh so there were no "special passengers."
"Nah, I was just fuckin' with you. Hahaha. What? Why's everyone looking at me?"

Fire.
Her.
Now.

Rahfiki

Oct 28, 2017
I was having such a good time browsing Era.....got one op struggling with "high expectations" in the bedroom & one trying to convince people that leaving ramen in cold water for 30min is cooking it but then this.....

Its almost impressive how people like that conductor go out of there way to be assholes for no reason :(

Oct 25, 2017
Doing customer service over Twitter is still really weird to me. Expecting customer service over Twitter is even weirder. I must be old.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
To this to happen to a NAACP official of all people...wow.

Somebody better be getting fired.

honestrade

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Concern trolling over racism; history of inflammatory commentary
What evidence would you expect?
Anything that shows this was racially motivated. Otherwise comparison to Rosa Parks is not accurate, and it was simply a minor inconvenience. Most people would have just moved on with their lives, but maybe she saw an opportunity to get people riled up.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anything that shows this was racially motivated. Otherwise comparison to Rosa Parks is not accurate, and it was simply a minor inconvenience. Most people would have just moved on with their lives, but maybe she saw an opportunity to get people riled up.

Do you have any examples in mind?

Why did they lie about expecting "special passengers"?

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
lol as if racism always has a clear sign on it that says "I am being racist, check out my racism". yo they livin in that doubt gap

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any evidence this happened to her because of the color of her skin?
Hard to believe this post was made in good faith.

Yep. Just as I thought. Some good ol' whitesplainin away racist shit.

xaosslug

Oct 27, 2017
what the fuck. :(

also, was the train empty? People saw/heard this happening and they were OK? How was there not an angry mob formed on that jr conductor?

Oct 31, 2017

That's even worse that most people would just accept being treated poorly for no reason at all and a totally justified reason to get people riled up at some company.

The implications in this post are straight trash

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
black peoples' lived experiences = meaningless. racism only exists where there is documented evidence verified by a judge.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any evidence this happened to her because of the color of her skin?

How will there be any evidence of this? You can never objectively prove someone is racist. Even if someone said "yes I am racist, I hate nonwhite people" you could say it was a joke or old footage or out of context. On the other hand, Occam's razor.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017

Maga

Bring forth the social media.

perineumlick

Nov 12, 2017
Let me tell you something, as a Black man, how fucking dare you? How many times must I ignore obvious attacks against my rights so as to not "rile up" fragile fuckers like you? Do you know how exhausting and demeaning that existence can be?

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Christ, always one of you, every fucking time.

You're not being clever, bruh...