Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I know it's a small fish in a big pond kind of thing, but in general, what are the legal implications for something like this? If years down the line it still hasn't been released. I've always wondered about that.

Specifically when the advertised DLC is positioned in a way to upsell the Deluxe/Premium editions of a game. Can the company hide behind "Terms and Conditions are subject to change" and that's that? Declaring bankruptcy/shuttering probably is probably a valid 'out' as well.
If you paid for something that was contractually promised then you're entitled to your money back. That would be the case with these characters.

If a business goes bankrupt, you're likely fucked, because there will be a ton of creditors above you.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
I know it's a small fish in a big pond kind of thing, but in general, what are the legal implications for something like this? If years down the line it still hasn't been released. I've always wondered about that.

Specifically when the advertised DLC is positioned in a way to upsell the Deluxe/Premium editions of a game. Can the company hide behind "Terms and Conditions are subject to change" and that's that? Declaring bankruptcy/shuttering probably is probably a valid 'out' as well.

Again, I know in this case it's pretty trivial, but I've always wondered how much recourse buyers have if the day one 'advertised on the box' dlc is never, ever delivered.
It's not going to take years. They wouldn't be updating the Steam backend otherwise.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
just today the intergration1 and integration2 steam branches were updated which happens very rarely so they are probably gearing up for DLC1's release either this week or next.

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
This board regularly crushes Nintendo and PlayStation for lack of communication. Microsoft was just crushed for it with their multiplatform "announcement" that came way too late.

This qualifies, c'mon. Yes, in a court of law, they LEGALLY can say "we did communicate!" but this is not engaging with the community.
As someone who paid for the hero pass, I don't be engaged with. I want to play it when it comes out.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
They're working on it and they'll release when they are done. Don't think there's more to the story than that, though perhaps it'll come with an update or some content to go along with the characters, since it's taken some time.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
They're working on it and they'll release when they are done. Don't think there's more to the story than that, though perhaps it'll come with an update or some content to go along with the characters, since it's taken some time.

I'd be VERY surprised if the Characters come out without some sort of Huge Update Overhaul.

Isn't an offline mode still being promised among some other things that haven't hit yet?
Gonna sounds odd, but I could kinda see a "relaunch" perhaps being part of the picture.

There's a base for something there, just needs some more touching up. Bethesda has turned around games with shakier starts before like F76

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I'd be VERY surprised if the Characters come out without some sort of Huge Update Overhaul.

Isn't an offline mode still being promised among some other things that haven't hit yet?
Gonna sounds odd, but I could kinda see a "relaunch" perhaps being part of the picture.

There's a base for something there, just needs some more touching up. Bethesda has turned around games with shakier starts before like F76
An offline mode was never promised, to be clear. Just something asked about prior to launch and was something they would look in to. It absolutely should be given an offline mode because there is 0 reason for it to be online only.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I wish there was laws forcing a time window disclosure (with a maximum duration of 1 year) for content sold that isn't available yet, and if not met refund everyone

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017

They never promised an offline mode, only that they would see what was possible. Some extra content, a larger patch, maybe an offline mode and the characters could be seen as a kind of relaunch. I doubt they'll go for long term support beyond this, but they'll leave it in a decent spot.

Sep 8, 2019
Arkane doesn't know how what to do with Morgan Yu as a secret Hero so they take the time and release them all together.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
i'd laugh my ass off if Blade ends up being one of the DLC characters tho

Jul 24, 2018
Still such a disappointment of a game from one of my favorite studios in the business. I hope whatever Austin is working on next is better!

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Ah ok, I just recall people talking about an Offline Mode. Wasn't sure if it was something that was promised or not. Thanks for the clarification all.

Some extra content, a larger patch, maybe an offline mode and the characters could be seen as a kind of relaunch. I doubt they'll go for long term support beyond this, but they'll leave it in a decent spot.

This is what I expect. Don't think it'll be something they continue to support or anything, but just a final "update" that puts it in a pretty good place for people to willingly check out. Whether via Game Pass or maybe future ports. Sort of like what Ghostwire got when it came to Xbox.

Marven

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Illinois
Well shit. I wonder what they mean by "make good on those that bought the hero dlc." Probably credits at the Microsoft store or something? Still it really sucks.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
those 15 people deserve a refund

giphy.gif

Fudus

â–² Legend â–²
Sep 18, 2020
Would publishers change how they do pre-order DLC? Like some legalese shenanigans that absolves them from releasing it if the games flops, maybe in return for some store credit at the publishers unsuccessful steam competitor.
That sort of happened now, I guess the next step is for it to become a formalized as standard practice.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who got the game (and the season pass) via a redeemed code I wonder how they'll handle this. I mean, other than telling me to get bent.

I assume almost all owners of the season pass got it with their GPU, lol. But I'd love to hear from the person who actually bought the season pass day 1. Surely this person exists.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
It made sense they were going to refund. That's just how it works when games fail.

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
As someone who got the game (and the season pass) via a redeemed code I wonder how they'll handle this. I mean, other than telling me to get bent.

I assume almost all owners of the season pass got it with their GPU, lol. But I'd love to hear from the person who actually bought the season pass day 1. Surely this person exists.
Hahaha that must be me 🙃. Yeah ,I've always been kind of a Arkane fanboy and have been getting day ones since Dark Messiah plus cuadrupledipping on many of their games like Arx Fatalis I even purchasing it on MS Store lol.