Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like an upgrade from my 2015 and a downgrade :(

I just want all my ports back. I don't want this dongle life TT_TT

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I have a friend who feels the same as you. He's been a long-time Mac user and, while he's an executive now, he still spends a fair bit of time actually writing and even coding. He says the low travel helps him type faster, so I guess maybe there are two kinds of touch typists: ones like me who absolutely need the tactile feedback of key travel, and ones like him who just fly through without actually registering what their fingers are doing.

I'm a very fast typist - and I type more quickly on my butterfly MBP than I do any other machine/keyboard I use - including some mechanicals and ergonomics.

It feels like crap on your finger tips. It would suck for games. But for pure speed? It can't be beat, IMO.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
Excuse me but it has no Wi-Fi 6 and the ancient 720p webcam... wut
The WiFi 6 - Obvious upgrade for Apple to purposefully offer next spring.

The more concerning thing for me is I have no confidence that Apple will improve the web cam next spring. It seems like Apple has always lagged behind on the web cams on MacBooks. Where's my 4K FaceID, Apple?

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
This is a solid update and honestly this fixed nearly everything I had gripes about. To be fair, I still want 10nm CPUs from Intel and WiFi 6 but that's probably a 2020/2021 revision - overall this is a welcome improvement in almost every way.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The upcoming Surface Book 3 is going to nuke it out of orbit.

they're very different kinds of computers. the 15" sb2 only uses 15w cpus and lpddr3 ram - it wasn't even competing with the previous gen 15" mbp in those regards (which used 45w cpus and ddr4). the gtx 1060 was a nicer gpu due to apple's weird insistence on sticking with amd, but that's about the only leg up it has. unless ms makes some major strategic changes for the sb3 i doubt it'll compete with this.

smuf

Oct 27, 2017
Really happy for this. Looks like a return to form.

I only got a new one last year so won't be needing one anytime soon, but I'm excited for whenever I do upgrade.

My 2018 MBP is easily my least favourite Apple device I've had.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017

YBwUHzL.jpg

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Hard drive sizes are pathetic at those prices.

1TB SSD should be the base size, they're insanely cheap..and Apple can get them cheaper than a consumer..far cheaper.

They could freaking put two M.2 drives in there if they wanted to. Heck, two 1TB M.2 drives is cheaper than one 2TB, and there's only a $40± price difference from a 512GB if you buy them as a consumer.

2TB minimum on the higher end model should be the absolute minimum too. Come on.

Last edited:

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
The WiFi 6 - Obvious upgrade for Apple to purposefully offer next spring.

The more concerning thing for me is I have no confidence that Apple will improve the web cam next spring. It seems like Apple has always lagged behind on the web cams on MacBooks. Where's my 4K FaceID, Apple?

I have to imagine they will implement Face ID at some point. It makes more sense on a Mac than on a phone.

Maybe then we can have a non-terrible Macbook camera.

Deleted member 20986

Oct 28, 2017
Eww look at those tall ancient keys....

Knock on wood my butterfly keyboard doesn't break on me

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Man I JUST bought a base model 15 inch 3 weeks ago from MC, got a 320$ discount so it doesn't sting as bad but it still stings
Wonder how well the resale value could be, might try to sell it since im 2 weeks out of return policy, can maybe get 2000-2100 for it on CL

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
EDIT: misread the specs
  • 2.4GHz 8‑core 9th Gen Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz
  • 64GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory
  • AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 8GB of GDDR6 memory
  • 8TB SSD storage
$6099 fully loaded lol...

MS has never quite nailed the landing on any of their devices. So I doubt it.

Surface Book 2 was a great device.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
The thread title should emphasize the fact that the butterfly keyboard is now dead and the scissor keyboard is back

Really looking forward to having the scissor keyboard in future MBA's

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
actually I just caught the luckiest break ever and micro center hit me with a 1 month out of return date refund, bless good customer service, we about to snap this baby up

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
MS has never quite nailed the landing on any of their devices. So I doubt it.

The recent generations of Surface have been really good though (thinking Surface/Pro after Gen 4, since those had a screen flicker issue).
I mean, it took them a while, but I think they're where they want to be quality-wise.

Deleted member 5627

Oct 25, 2017
Assholes they put the escape key back. Time to accidentally drop this thing from a ridiculous height and call the helpdesk.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like a pretty good upgrade from the previous model. Dat wasted space tho, they really couldn't fit a numpad to a 16" laptop? And the ports...

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Are there smaller models with that keyboard?

Don't need a 16 inch screen

Just like they did with the switch to Retina, i feel like the 'smaller' one is going to release half a year later (retina 15" was early 2012, 13" was late 2012)

I just gotta compare my late 2012 13" retina's weight and feel to a colleague's 15" Retina-with-touchbar model ... To see if i'll get this one or wait for the 14".

My current laptop is 1.62 kg - this new one's an even 2kg...

95% of the time, my laptop's on my desk - i barely take it on vacations anymore - so it's really a mobile productivity machine and i could use the screen real estate.

Out 1

Oct 25, 2017
much cheaper than expected. I just wish they'd kill the butterfly keyboard on 13 inch model.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
The lack of a proper HDMI port and a single USB-A is still painful on this machine, and the camera remains embarrassing.

But it's the first time since 2015 that Apple's released a laptop that isn't actively worse than the one it replaces, so that's no small thing.

And can everyone who's defended the butterfly keyboard since the 12" Macbook shipped finally admit it was garbage?
I love it butttt like I said I'll prob rage if it breaks

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
this model is pretty much perfect. everything people wanted and prices arent that bad at all.

ToD_

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine scaling is still enabled by default with a resolution of 3072x1920? On the 15.4" MBPs of the past few years, scaling has been the default. On those machines everything is rendered at 3360x2100, then scaled down to the native resolution of 2880x1800. I wish they would use higher resolution panels to support the desired work space without scaling, but with the chosen resolution and display size this does not appear to be the case.

Sep 14, 2019
I'm not gonna have a laptop for a while, I guess.

Especially if Best Buy is sold out later this week.

Would love to get 32GB RAM and upgrade a few other things, and make it last for several years, but Best Buy credit is all I have.