Mar 3, 2019
I wonder how well this thing handles heat? The previous generation was known to immediatelly start underclocking to avoid overheating, basically reducing your performance in crappy ways. With this having even more power I can only imagine it would get worse.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how well this thing handles heat? The previous generation was known to immediatelly start underclocking to avoid overheating, basically reducing your performance in crappy ways. With this having even more power I can only imagine it would get worse.

It's a bit thicker and has a revamped cooling system; Apple's site even calls out being able to run "longer" at higher clocks (but that could mean almost anything).

Dynamic3

Oct 31, 2017
Curious if the 8GB 5500 will offer any benefit over the 4GB 5500 if my only use case for the GPU is an occasional game or two.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Do we know what the default "top spec" they'll have in stores? Every revision they offer the base specs and some combination of upgrades without getting too crazy as the models they have pre-built in the stores. I usually go for that option.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Pretty awesome how the price stayed the same while having more storage and bigger screen.

Seems like an awesome computer.

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I am set to upgrade yet, my Late 2013 MBP still surprisingly ok, but I am so happy to see when I do need to replace it, the butterfly keyboards are dead.

Mar 3, 2019
It's a bit thicker and has a revamped cooling system; Apple's site even calls out being able to run "longer" at higher clocks (but that could mean almost anything).

That bodes better at least, though their fix to the butterfly keyboard didnt mitigate much until this new brand of keyboard, so I'll reserve my judgement. For as much as you pay for these, you should be getting 100 percent performance

X05

Oct 25, 2017
Just give me an option for no TouchBar and this would be great (would also like not having everything soldered on the motherboard, but I'm aware that sadly that ship has sailed)

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
After dealing with Dell for over a year I can't wait to return home to a macbook for personal use.

Fuck constantly troubleshooting shit. I respect that at least Apple put in some effort into better thermal management. 7590 is still incapable of handling an i7 let alone an i9.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I dropped 4K for a specced out pro last year, wonder what I could get for it now. If I can cover half the cost of the new model it may be worthwhile.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
F i just bought a 15" with an i9 in August...

I should make them replace the keyboard and anything else i'm owed under applecare then trade it in

Big Boss

Oct 27, 2017
I want this but I don't wanna spend 3k on this. 🤔

Especially with rumors of redesigned iPhone dropping next year.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
After dealing with Dell for over a year I can't wait to return home to a macbook for personal use.

Fuck constantly troubleshooting shit. I respect that at least Apple put in some effort into better thermal management. 7590 is still incapable of handling an i7 let alone an i9.

I work with Dell's at work.

Besides the XPS line (laptops) they all belong in the trash. Even then, fuck Dell Command Update. Pieces of shit I tell you lol.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
gah i want one bad but my 2013 RMBP is holding up like a champ and has and NVIDIA graphics card.

I always say no sense in "upgrading" if the product you own is working fine and doing what you need it to do without issue.

It's why I'll probably have a 1080p set well into the 2020s, despite some of the odd coloration issues I can spot every now and then.

Based0ne

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I just saw this by going to Apples website to check something out. My god is it beautiful, I wish I held off on this VS the refurbished MacBook Pro I bought. I'll just wait for this to be refurbished and potentially get it.

I have a friend who feels the same as you. He's been a long-time Mac user and, while he's an executive now, he still spends a fair bit of time actually writing and even coding. He says the low travel helps him type faster, so I guess maybe there are two kinds of touch typists: ones like me who absolutely need the tactile feedback of key travel, and ones like him who just fly through without actually registering what their fingers are doing.
That must be me because I love the keyboard. Thank god for those typing classes I took back in middle school.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
The problem is the same execs that got fucked hard by Nvidia back in 2009 are still there. Phil, Craig, Tim. All of them surely remember how badly Nvidia fucked them.

Yep - the 8600GT debacle. To be fair, AMD has also had their fair share of defective GPUs (not sure if this is due to inefficient cooling or the chips actually go bad or both) but dammit, bring back Nvidia at some point!

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Oh boy I'm this close to pulling the trigger.

I know I was talking about maybe a 14" that might possibly have the same specs (Like a dGPU) as a 15" but I'm not going to count on Apple putting one out so I'd end up sticking with the larger model. I like that it's bigger than what I have now (2013 15" model) but is still lighter. So that's cool. It's slightly bigger and heavier than the previous 15" though but since I don't have one of those I wont feel like I'm stepping down.

I just want to know what the "scaled resolution" options are. Probably will still have the same as the 15" just everything will be slightly larger at the same setting. Which I guess is good for my rapidly aging eyes. lol

I want it now. I would love to spend the $8 for faster shipping if it guaranteed that it would come on Friday. I hate weekends. It's 2019. Why can't we have deliveries on Sundays? Or Saturday across the board? I want it nooooowwwww!!!!! Anyway, yeah I'd love for it to show up Friday morning.

I especially like that the base model has everything I need without having to do any custom configuring. I don't have to jump to the 512GB. It already has 16GB RAM. I just wonder why it's not available in store at all. Not even an estimated date. Wish I could just go get it right now.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to know what the "scaled resolution" options are. Probably will still have the same as the 15" just everything will be slightly larger at the same setting. Which I guess is good for my rapidly aging eyes. lol
Native Resolution:
3072 x 1920 (so 1536 x 960 at 2x)

Supported scaled resolutions:
  • 1920 x 1200
  • 1680 x 1050
  • 1280 x 800
  • 1024 x 640

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Native Resolution:

• 1920 x 1200
  • 1680 x 1050
  • 1280 x 800
  • 1024 x 640
So basically the same as before. But now it'll look slightly larger but clearer because of more pixels when I use the 1920x1200 option. Which I'm totally fine with.

I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna pull that trigger on the Pro with a pair of AirPods and a USB dongle for the very few times I ever need to plug anything in.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Native Resolution:

• 1920 x 1200
  • 1680 x 1050
  • 1280 x 800
  • 1024 x 640
So basically the same as before. But now it'll look slightly larger but clearer because of more pixels when I use the 1920x1200 option. Which I'm totally fine with.

I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna pull that trigger on the Pro with a pair of AirPods and a USB dongle for the very few times I ever need to plug anything in.

marco arment suggests the list on apple's tech specs is wrong (and given that he has a 16" mbp in-hand, i am inclined to trust him):

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Yep - the 8600GT debacle. To be fair, AMD has also had their fair share of defective GPUs (not sure if this is due to inefficient cooling or the chips actually go bad or both) but dammit, bring back Nvidia at some point!

It also happened again with the 330M. It was just fuckery all round those few years. At least everyone basically got free Applecare out of it.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i don't think apple's deal with AMD has anything to do with faulty nvidia gpus - i would bet it's much more to do with AMD being willing to do a lot of semi-custom parts for apple and working more closely with them on metal and the like

x3sphere

Oct 27, 2017
Just ordered one. I'm using an SB1 right now, have wanted to go back to macOS for awhile but stayed away due to the keyboard issues. Since that's fixed, I'm in. Also awesome that this includes 16GB RAM / 512GB in the base config, exactly what I wanted. Doesn't really seem like a bad price compared to other high end laptops, as far as the base config is concerned.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
512gb SSD base, thank god. I can actually get the base model.

Gonna see what I can get for my 2018 higher-end version. Might swap up to the 16" base. I fucking hate the butterfly keyboard.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Hmm. This is actually the laptop I've been waiting for from Apple. I've been holding out since 2011 for something bigger than 15".

I'll give it some serious consideration, but I'm still not very interested in soldered-on memory and storage. We'll see.