• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
A 16-year-old Indian girl was raped — then burned to death by her attackers when her family sought justice, according to reports.

The man believed primarily responsible for the brutal attacks was arrested Saturday. At least 14 other men were also nabbed in the incident in eastern Jharkhand state.

The horrific series of events began when the accused man, Dhanu Bhuiyan, saw the girl at her uncle's wedding ceremony Thursday evening, according to the Indian Express newspaper. Bhuiyan took her for a motorcycle ride along with his cousin, Sudhir Bhuiyan.

She was allegedly raped in a wooded area and then brought back to the wedding about an hour later.

By then, word had spread about the disappearance, and the family appealed to the village council.

The council on Friday ordered Bhuiyan's family to pay a fine of 50,000 rupees, or about $750, and apologize to the girl's family. The accused men were also told to do 100 sit-ups each.

The ruling led to a fistfight. In the meantime, an enraged Dhanu Bhuiyan allegedly went to the girl's house, beat her up, poured gasoline on her and lit her on fire. He then took off, law enforcement said.

Most of the subsequent arrests came in connection with the attack on the girl's family members, the paper reported. A search for Sudhir Bhuiyan is ongoing.

Village councils carry no legal authority but exert huge influence over India's rural life. They often resolve disputes, bypassing India's costly judicial system.

The killing is the latest in a series of headline-making sex crimes in India. An 8-year-old Muslim girl was gang-raped and murdered last month in Kashmir.

India's crime records show about 40,000 rape cases reported in 2016. Reported rapes of minor children more than doubled between 2012 and 2016, reflecting more than 40 percent of all sex crimes.

https://nypost.com/2018/05/05/16-year-old-girls-rapist-burns-her-to-death-after-she-sought-justice/

why does this keep happening in India

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
ONE HUNDRED SIT-UPS.

WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FUCK.

How is that any kind of punishment at all? Get your shit together, India, fucking hell.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Knew it was India before I checked, i've read countless stories that are similar.

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Remember that one rule in GAF that was against posting horrible stories where the only thing you can do is say "that's horrible"? that'd be nice to have here. There's no discussion to be had with threads like these. I know this is thread whining but still.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And the story of that 8-year old too? Fuck, this world is sick. We need to help those families somehow. Are there any orgs involved with dealing with this sex crime murders?

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember that one rule in GAF that was against posting horrible stories where the only thing you can do is say "that's horrible"? that'd be nice to have here. There's no discussion to be had with threads like these. I know this is thread whining but still.
Shit like this needs to be brought to the attention of everyone, turning your eyes away from something because it's unpleasant doesn't make it go away.

hasan114

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Im from pakistan so have a lot of exposure to Indian cinema. They definietely have problems there, i remember seeing indian movies are n the he 90s and in hindsight remember seeing inordinste number of "rape scenes" usually by the villains. Normally rape is supposed to be about power and control but Indians soecially have sexualized rape in a way that is hard to understand I think for a western audience.

It is not just a problem they have though Pakistan and Afghanistan have a similar problem with normalizing child molestation but I think that is different and even more damaging in many ways.

Rabbit Clock

Oct 25, 2017
$750 and 100 sit-ups equals a human life? wtf is this? Disgusting.

edit: oh the fine and sit-ups were for the rape. Like that makes it any better...

Last edited:

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

that rule exists here, and this is a good candidate for a lock imo

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I need to sit down before I break some shit. God fucking damn.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
The council on Friday ordered Bhuiyan's family to pay a fine of 50,000 rupees, or about $750, and apologize to the girl's family. The accused men were also told to do 100 sit-upseach.
Hey guys, this is not really a middle school kind of a deal here...

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
The ruling led to a fistfight. In the meantime, an enraged Dhanu Bhuiyan allegedly went to the girl's house, beat her up, poured gasoline on her and lit her on fire. He then took off, law enforcement said.

I always wondered if the people that do this things believe they can get away with it. They can get away with rape, sure, but setting people in fire is so over the top even a crappy police force can't overlook it, not to mention family members looking for revenge.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine $750 wherever this took place at is probably not an exact equivalent in purchasing power in the US. It sounds like a small village as you don't normally have trials conducted by councils.

This whole thing sounds very insular and backwards and it's awful that a young girl is ultimately the one to pay the price when all she wanted to do was celebrate with her family.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
What is different about India that things like this occur? Are locals as horrified as we are, or is setting people on fire and throwing acid in faces not indicative of a profoundly abnormal mindset over there? He could have just stabbed her to death. The choice to burn her means he wanted to torture her. That takes so much more viciousness. Where does that come from?

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is different about India that things like this occur? Are locals as horrified as we are, or is setting people on fire and throwing acid in faces not indicative of a profoundly abnormal mindset over there? He could have just stabbed her to death. The choice to burn her means he wanted to torture her. That takes so much more viciousness. Where does that come from?

India has ingrained sexism, women and girls are seen as less important from birth.

Hell they sometimes bury newborns alive if they're girls, just because they have to pay a dowry when they get married and because boys look after parents into old age whereas girls are expected to take care of their future husbands.

I also read a stat that hundreds of thousands of girls go 'missing' ever year and they're never found, just nightmarish.

blinky

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The sit-ups thing. Oh my god.

Oct 27, 2017
A 16-year-old Indian girl was raped — then burned to death by her attackers when her family sought justice, according to reports.

The man believed primarily responsible for the brutal attacks was arrested Saturday. At least 14 other men were also nabbed in the incident in eastern Jharkhand state.

The horrific series of events began when the accused man, Dhanu Bhuiyan, saw the girl at her uncle's wedding ceremony Thursday evening, according to the Indian Express newspaper. Bhuiyan took her for a motorcycle ride along with his cousin, Sudhir Bhuiyan.

She was allegedly raped in a wooded area and then brought back to the wedding about an hour later.

By then, word had spread about the disappearance, and the family appealed to the village council.

The council on Friday ordered Bhuiyan's family to pay a fine of 50,000 rupees, or about $750, and apologize to the girl's family. The accused men were also told to do 100 sit-ups each.

Most of the subsequent arrests came in connection with the attack on the girl's family members, the paper reported. A search for Sudhir Bhuiyan is ongoing.

Village councils carry no legal authority but exert huge influence over India's rural life. They often resolve disputes, bypassing India's costly judicial system.

The killing is the latest in a series of headline-making sex crimes in India. An 8-year-old Muslim girl was gang-raped and murdered last month in Kashmir.

India's crime records show about 40,000 rape cases reported in 2016. Reported rapes of minor children more than doubled between 2012 and 2016, reflecting more than 40 percent of all sex crimes.

https://nypost.com/2018/05/05/16-year-old-girls-rapist-burns-her-to-death-after-she-sought-justice/

why does this keep happening in India
There's more than one billion people in India so it's more likely you'll find horrible shit happening there.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
India has ingrained sexism, women and girls are seen as less important from birth.

Hell they sometimes bury newborns alive if they're girls, just because they have to pay a dowry when they get married and because boys look after parents into old age whereas girls are expected to take care of their future husbands.

I also read a stat that hundreds of thousands of girls go 'missing' ever year and they're never found, just nightmarish.
What the FUCK.

I hope this starts to change sooner rather than later. Humans are so fucking disgusting.

ehf

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
theres over a billion people in India, I'd be surprised if it doesn't happen MORE. Humans suck lets be honest, and we live in a horrifying world.

RIP to that poor girl.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia

The rape, depressingly, I get. Even killing the victim over the pathetic slap-on-the-wrist punishment. Those are things we're fighting against in the West, too. But the brutality of the violence is profoundly different. We frequently read about attacks like this happening in India (I also guessed the country before clicking the thread). I want to know where the capacity to torture someone like this comes from. Nevermind the motivation - how is this something so many men are capable of over there?

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the FUCK.

I hope this starts to change sooner rather than later. Humans are so fucking disgusting.

Seriously, these girls are just snatched off the street, and since most of the parents are either illiterate or have no money they don't know what to do, even when they go to the police there's little action taken because hey, it's a girl, not that important.

I mean go read up on the2012 Delhi Gang Rape

They took a god damn wheel jack to her anus and pulled out her intestines and then LAUGHED about it... I can't even fathom.

Status
Not open for further replies.