• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Star Wars seems to be the only franchise who gives a fuck about our actors, with Pedro pascal being the lead of their first series, the wonderful Oscar Issac in the sequel trilogy, and I always forget his name, but narcos Mexico guy in Rogue One

marvel, only Zoe saldana, and funny guy from antman

dc, fire guy from suicide squad, and of course he's a criminal.

disney movies, I can't think of single Hispanic actor or actress in any of them.

Donde está el amor?

shout out to Jlo for apparently crushing it in Hustlers.

name a single Hispanic in a David Fincher movie
Name a single Hispanic in a Wes Anderson movie
Name a single Hispanic in a Cristopher Nolan movie
Name a single Hispanic in a Quentin Tarantino movie
Name a single Hispanic in a PTA movie*
Name a single Hispanic in a Steven Spielberg movie
Name a single Hispanic in a Martin Scorsese movie

Edit * Luis Guzman in his early films

Last edited:

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Name a single Hispanic in a PTA movie

Name a single hispanic in that lineup of directors

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Clearly this guy is taking all these thoughtfully crafted, nuanced roles..

596f5db3c4f07.jpeg

Sadsic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Hispanic representation in America really is piss poor in pretty much all visible culture, I think a lot of this has to do the language barrier, as well as the obvious virulent racism of course

Compare Hispanic representation to African American representation in America, it's pretty much night and day

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hispanic representation in America really is piss poor in pretty much all visible culture, I think a lot of this has to do the language barrier, as well as the obvious virulent racism of course

Compare Hispanic representation to African American representation in America, it's pretty much night and day
Compare it to white ppl instead

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That director list is the whitest white boy list of being white. They're so white. You need a non-white director to hire people of color. I feel like it's the only way.

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Michael Pena
Bendiciones Del Toro
Pedro Pascal
Oscar Isaac
Diego Luna (googled his name)
Cameron Diaz
Jennifer Lopez
Luis Guzman (just remembered PTA had him in multiple films)
Jessica Alba
John Leguiazamo
Benjamin Bratt

According to Hollywood these are the only Hispanic actors

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i feel like hispanic representation was bigger back in the 90s and 2000s with Antonio Banderas, Selma Hayek, Penelope Cruz and Sofia Vegara starring in several summer blockbusters.

Now we only have Carlos Pena and maybe Pedro Pascal filling those roles. Disappointing but expected. Hollywood is fucking racist.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are a few,

Edward James Olmos, Leguizamo, Andy Garcia, Raquel Welch, Martin Sheen, Freddy Prince Jr. Aubrey Plaza, Benicio Del Toro, Oscar Issac, Pedro Pascal, Madeline Stowe, Cameron Diaz, America Ferrera, Salma Hayek, Zoe Saldana

I mean, it should be higher, but its not totally missing. Edit: Added a few morebanes.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

It's white folk who are in control of all of this and you want to start shit with black folks?

Tabs2002

Feb 1, 2018

Don't do this

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think Demian Bichir played a character literally named Mexican Bob in The Hateful Eight.

ΑGITΩ

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Its not just hollywood, its most forms of media in which we lack representation. Video Games have a larger white, black and Asian rep than hispanic. But since i guess we aren't as vocal as other groups out there. Idk

Disney? Pixar just made a whole movie about Mexican culture.

But not all us are Mexican, i mean as a Puerto Rican i can't call that movie part of my culture.

maxxpower

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Honestly, if I want to feel at home I just watch something that is actually in Spanish, which is why I loved Narcos Mexico.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars seems to be the only franchise who gives a fuck about our actors, with Pedro pascal being the lead of their first series, the wonderful Oscar Issac in the sequel trilogy, and I always forget his name, but narcos Mexico guy in Rogue One

marvel, only Zoe saldana, and funny guy from antman

dc, fire guy from suicide squad, and of course he's a criminal.

disney movies, I can't think of single Hispanic actor or actress in any of them.

Donde está el amor?

shout out to Jlo for apparently crushing it in Hustlers.

Name a single Hispanic in a PTA movie

Star Wars and Marvel has Lupita

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Who casts Hollywood movies?
Isn't it in LA? Wtf, can they really not find Hispanic/Latin actors?

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Another thing is that some Hollywood actors with Latin American roots (like Alexis Bledel, Viggo Mortensen) don't really present themselves as "Hispanic"

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Honestly, if I want to feel at home I just watch something that is actually in Spanish, which is why I loved Narcos Mexico.

But America is my home.

Shit, sometimes I'll watch a movie set in Miami that will BARELY have Latinos in it.

If you've been to Miami, you have to try real hard to do that

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
As a hispanic person, I don't like the argument of saying "Look at how much representation black people get." That representation was hard-earned, not handed out. It's not us vs. them. Also, plenty of hispanic people are black, so I don't like that division in general.

Instead, we should be calling out the disproportionate representation of WASPs.

Sadsic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Compare it to white ppl instead

It's white folk who are in control of all of this and you want to start shit with black folks?

I'm not dying on this hill but I find it curious that this is seemingly an impossible conversation to have in good faith - it is probably a rightward leaning mental frame so probably not necessary to think about, so I recant here. Anyways I agree hispanic representation needs to be better basically everywhere

Oct 26, 2017
I feel your frustration.

im Arab and all we have going for us today is Rami Malek. Technically many of us are white but beyond color of skin, our culture and people are not represented appropriately.

Really feels like Hollywood thinks the world is compromised of nothing but Americans, Asians or (South Asian) Indians at times.

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Look at the cast of Oceans 8 for one second.
Not one of these hollywood suckers thought, hey, maybe we should cast a Latina?
Did we really need cate Blahchette in there?

maxxpower

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
But America is my home.

Shit, sometimes I'll watch a movie set in Miami that will BARELY have Latinos in it.

I get you. I'm Mexican/American and grew up in Mexico so I can just fall back on some Mexican stuff that I know. I get what you mean though.

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
I was so stunned when I watched "Altered Carbon" and the female lead was Latina.
And of course she was fucking gorgeous. Hollywood, America needs to see our women AS WELL

Edit: Added "as well"
Hollywood is completely superficial place, so it doesn't make sense why when they cast For "hot chick/dude" SO OFTEN that a Hispanic name doesn't come across their board.

Obviously this isn't the goal of representation, or the goal of this thread, but there's already many jumping at this reply to try and invalidate my point

Last edited:

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I feel your frustration.

im Arab and all we have going for us today is Rami Malek. Technically many of us are white but beyond color of skin, our culture and people are not represented appropriately.

Really feels like Hollywood thinks the world is compromised of nothing but Americans, Asians or (South Asian) Indians at times.

Man, throwing Asians and Indians under the bus now too?

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
There's also the thing where if you're white looking enough and don't have an accent, you might go by a more white sounding name for the sake of it being easier on you professionally(I'm so guilty of that lol) which I imagine happens in acting too. Probably not great for representation since a lot of white latinos take the path of least resistance(again, I'm guilty. Job interviews were a lot easier when I started going by my middle name lol)

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was so stunned when I watched "Altered Carbon" and the female lead was Latina.
And of course she was fucking gorgeous. Hollywood, America needs to see our women

Wanting representation so that white people can oogle at your "superior" women is the grossest and most sexist argument for it. Fucking disgusting.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Not one of these hollywood suckers thought, hey, maybe we should cast a Latina?
Did we really need cate Blahchette in there?
hollywood executives care about a return on investment more than nearly anything else

the only other thing they care about is awards on occasion, and turning those awards into a return investment as well

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
People like Alfonso Cuaron, Alejandro Inarritu, and Guillermo del Toro could do an infinitely better job of improving representation

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Who casts Hollywood movies?
Isn't it in LA? Wtf, can they really not find Hispanic/Latin actors?
I was under the impression that directors had a hand casting too. I know black directors seek out black actors for their projects

I dont know why Del Toro for example doesnt really do this. I feel like he has pull? Like in Pacific Rim he could have had a latino lead etc...

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
But America is my home.

I know what you mean. Oftentimes, the only representation for Latinx/Hispanic people is either stuff set in Latin America or viewed as an "immigrant experience." And there's nothing wrong with those stories in isolation, but I've lived in America my whole life. My first language was English. I'm "American" as hell, but seeing that experience reflected in film and TV is super rare.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We do not exist in Hollywood, yeah. I also feel like we had a bit more representation in the 90s. Not a huge amount, but...