• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 20892

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Stereotyped Chicano #784 is my favorite
I was so stunned when I watched "Altered Carbon" and the female lead was Latina.
And of course she was fucking gorgeous. Hollywood, America needs to see our women
Yeah I wish you hadn't steered this convo in this direction, gross

Same goes for those framing the issue as minority vs minority

cmalex23

Avenger
Oct 10, 2018
220px-Miss_Bala_poster.jpg

Does this not count OP?

jk.... I feel you. I think TV is doing a better job, but its still hard out there for brown people.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Bueno, since you said Hispanic instead of Latino, I'm going to point out the Dave Bautista has also had a great string of roles in big-budget films. Of course one big name doesn't make it better, but he's been on a hot streak these days and I personally appreciate hearing a name like that associated with large franchises like Marvel, Blade Runner, and Dune.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I think representation for Hispanic actors will increase by a bit soon, but unfortunately, it's not going to be for the best reasons. I think Hispanic people are currently going through what Middle Eastern people went through post 9-11, and that's an increase in roles - but only within a very specific (and damaging) type of role. For them it was terrorists, and for Hispanic people - it's Cartel related.

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Naming one (1) Hispanic actor/actress in a film isn't a "gotcha"
We should be 1/5 characters in films.

How you gonna have all these movies set in New York, in LA, and not portray your second largest ethnic group?

Jan 10, 2018
White Hollywood chose to target China and thats how representation took quite a turn. Its still a miracle that Pixar gets quite frequently away with stories rooted in minority cultures(so to speak)

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Stereotyped Chicano #784 is my favorite

Yeah I wish you hadn't steered this convo in this direction, gross

Same goes for those framing the issue as minority vs minority

I never framed it as minority v minority

Also, y'all are reading too much into what I said. Actors/actresses are usually beautiful people are they not?

Oct 25, 2017
I hate the tokenism that goes into it whenever we do get hispanic actors / characters more than the actual lack of representation.

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping Marvel can do better with this when it comes to FF and X-Men. (I will never stop fancasting Oscar Isaac for Reed, fuck John Krasinski). Salma is already in Eternals.

But yeah definitely agree, OP.

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Look, I just want more roles that have NOTHING to do with that persons "culture" or "ethnicity"
Name one reason why the next detective in a Fincher film can't be Hispanic, or why the quirky dude who owns a bed and breakfast in a Wes Anderson film can't be Hispanic.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
well hispanics needs to start being louder in their disapproval. oscarssowhite was created by a black woman and many people wanted to co-op the movement when they should be starting their own. maybe if hispanics stopped supporting big movies as well it would change some stuff.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I was coming here to post these three names.

These guys are juggernaut talents and they're opening doors for the next generation.

The thing is... they're not really opening any doors outside of being an inspiration for up and coming talent in the region. Del Toro is probably the worst of the three

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
I have less of an issue with proportional representation and more of an issue with how typecast Hispanic actors usually are. I didn't grow up in a situation where I'm going to identify with gang-bangers and cartels.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Bueno, since you said Hispanic instead of Latino, I'm going to point out the Dave Bautista has also had a great string of roles in big-budget films. Of course one big name doesn't make it better, but he's been on a hot streak these days and I personally appreciate hearing a name like that associated with large franchises like Marvel, Blade Runner, and Dune.
As a brown person who grew up with Filipinos, I'm really happy about Dave's success.

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Hispanic representation in America really is piss poor in pretty much all visible culture, I think a lot of this has to do the language barrier, as well as the obvious virulent racism of course

Compare Hispanic representation to African American representation in America, it's pretty much night and day

If you want support from African Americans it damn sure isn't going to happen taking the approach you are taking. The whole "look at the blacks" approach other minorities seem to be taking with a myriad of issues is extremely off-putting.

African Americans made our own shit and put our own people on. Made ourselves hot so we couldn't be ignored. Waiting on a handout will leave you waiting on a handout.

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Hispanic representation in America really is piss poor in pretty much all visible culture, I think a lot of this has to do the language barrier, as well as the obvious virulent racism of course

Compare Hispanic representation to African American representation in America, it's pretty much night and day
How about we don't pit our respective minorities against each other.

Question to non Americans
OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
question to our European, African, and Asian and Australian friends, based off our movies, how often do you think you'd come across a Hispanic American if you were to walk around the US?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
All that come to mind at the moment are Selena Gomez, that one princess Elena of Avalor, and the entirety of Coco's cast. And Oscar Isaac if Star Wars counts
There's also Sofia Carson from Descendants, the Stuck in the Middle cast, and I think Auli'i Cravalho is Puerto Rican though most think of her as Hawaiian. Oh, and Bella Thorne but nobody's claiming her.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Minorities should stick together....if one of us does better we all sooner or later profit from it.
Look, I just want more roles that have NOTHING to do with that persons "culture" or "ethnicity"
Name one reason why the next detective in a Fincher film can't be Hispanic, or why the quirky dude who owns a bed and breakfast in a Wes Anderson film can't be Hispanic.
Yeah...it messed up how Hispanic people are only considered when it's something street or cartel related.

Need them in more roles that are "generic" as in the could be placed by any other race .

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
question to our European, African, and Asian and Australian friends, based off our movies, how often do you think you'd come across a Hispanic American if you were to walk around the US?
It depends on the state, city etc

edit: miss understood your post

based on movies, only in big cities getthos, for the most part.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
If only movies were representative of the real world...

Just because movies aren't real doesn't mean the paycheck, the celebrity status, and the respect isn't real.

Well, that's kinda hard to have both ways. You either have someone bringing a certain background and presence to the role, or you whitewash everyone into the same white stuff that's already been done.

well hispanics needs to start being louder in their disapproval. oscarssowhite was created by a black woman and many people wanted to co-op the movement when they should be starting their own. maybe if hispanics stopped supporting big movies as well it would change some stuff.

The Oscars are trash and I think a more diverse movie landscape will eventually happen without their validation.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's funny you bring this up but can't see the differences African Americans are doing compared to other minorities

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
We are always side character, sex objects (which is ok sometimes), or criminals.

Also, movies where THE ENTIRE cast is Hispanic, or the movie is set in an other country, isn't really what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about your regular movies, your films where any actor could be switched to a different gender or ethnicity and it wouldn't affect the story. Why not a Hispanic actor for that role?

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017

Honestly, the reason that Black representation has improved is because black people in the industry created their own sub genres of film/television and hired their own, and black audiences went out of their way to support these properties. Black individuals in the industry and black audiences also went out of their way to be vocal about under representation and misrepresentation that was happening through out film and television. It also kind of helps that there's no Non-American alternatives for American Black people to watch, so all of their focus is dialed in here.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Martin Sheen had a prominent role in Departed (first that came to mind from Scorsese). While I adored the perfomances of Driver and Garfield, the casting of Silence was bit of a missed opportunity. Originally Benicio Del Toro and Gael Garcia Bernal were going to appear in the film (alongside with DDL). The cinematographer for the film was hispanic if that means anything, probably not regarding on-screen representation.
Viggo Mortensen) don't really present themselves as "Hispanic"
No kidding. Always knew the guy had Danish roots, but no idea his mother was hispanic.
Look at the cast of Oceans 8 for one second.
Not one of these hollywood suckers thought, hey, maybe we should cast a Latina?
Did we really need cate Blahchette in there?
Is "Blahchette" a typo or a bad pun? She's an extraordinary actress either way. Nobody more talented worked on that movie (wasn't able to save it though). I do agree that casting a latina in one or two of the main roles wouldn't have hurt at all, apart of Michelle Rodriguez.

Last edited:

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
His Spanish language films have been.... set in Spain... I get the impression that the point of the thread isn't to improve Spanish representation in film.
I meant foreign language films popular with English speaking audiences. That's usually a decent way to get Hollywood's attention on this matter.

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Also, totally forgot ANA DE ARMAS
Bombshell Cubana, glad she's getting cast in stuff.

And she's gonna en Marilyn Monroe too lol, our own Scarlett Johansson!