nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
My subscription just ran out. Is it best to stock up on XBL Gold and convert it to Ultimate for $1/month?

EDIT: I resubbed to XBL, paid $14.99 for a month of GPU and it converted the rest of my XBL time to GPU.

Last edited:

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I understand why core gamers are looking for Microsoft's angle but there really is no mystery to it. Companies in every business field are absolutely in love with subscriptions because they bring in guaranteed steady income. You don't own permanent licenses to those games so you will want to keep for subscription for continued access and most people have a fire-and-forget attitude towards subscriptions, as in once they subscribe they keep the subscription going even if they don't use it every month. Therefore if Game Pass catches on in a major way it will be bringing in stupid amounts of money to Microsoft every month.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
That is not true. It gives developers more freedom to make the types of games they want to make.

My favorite part about these arguements is treating it like it's some kinda ultimatum. Like those selective pressures and internal pushes won't be drastically changing from year to year depending on external factors and whatever execs were focusing on at each given moment. Look at something like youtube, people. It's gonna fluctate it's gonna get better here, worse here, there's gonna be bad periods with bad decisions going out of control, then better, blah blah, like all services like that do, because they are subject to ongoing changes and shifts in internal priorities, if gamepass stays around long enough.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I think the catch is being locked to the ecosystem and not owning the actual games, but that's how it goes with any subscription service. The value is definitely there, especially if you got the $1 deal and stacked XBL with it.

I don't think it's sustainable at this low price but this is Microsoft we're talking about with enormous cash reserves. They have been making the right moves and setting themselves up nicely for next-gen so I wouldn't be surprised if they kept the $1 Game Pass Ultimate deal going for a while.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The catch is the long term cost of continuing to get access to those games is $180/year, and Microsoft's aim is to have people subscribe to them to the tune of $1260 per 7 year console generation.

Vs... just buying the games you want to play, maybe not always day 1, maybe it's some of the many FTP games or cheap Indy games. Personally there is no way I spend close to that per generation, and I have those games "forever".

But you got a good deal, so fair enough, for now. Microsoft will lose money on it for now.

Joo

May 25, 2018
There really isn't a catch for OP. You just get the benefits of being an early adopter and MS gets to keep you in their ecosystem.

How many casual gamers are going to stack multiple years of Game Pass? Not a single one. Like in my case, I've never even stacked PS+ for more than a year at once. If everyone was stacking it, MS would have taken the upgrade path out already as it just isn't viable business, but for the smaller hardcore audience, it's gets the word of mouth going, it's pretty much a deal you can't pass and not a major blow for MS.

The price of the sub will eventually go up and the $1 upgrade path will be taken away, but that could still take a long while considering how Game Pass is still pretty new and in its growth phase.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
The catch is for the average person to spend more money on DLC in the long term or even buy the game. stuff like Flight Simulator and Crusader Kings 3 is a prime example of this being available Day One on the PC version I for one would rather use the Steam eco-system for those type of games.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
The catch is that Microsoft is now developing their games differently because of game pass. They will more resemble ftp games that have multiplayer elements and microtransactions.
Ah yes, the infamous Tell Me Why, riddled with micro transaction and lootbox
Unlike Avengers which is a paid to play game with exclusive elements on PlayStation and has no microtransaction whatsoever

Wait what.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
  • You are now attached and will probably pay 10-15€/month in the future
  • Games will be made with Gamepass in mind, so more multiplayer, living games, GaaS, MTX
  • You don't own the games
  • You need to use their shit software on PC

Deleted member 1659

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The same thing that happened to Music (Spotify, Apple Music) movies (Netflix, Amazon Prime), books (Kindle, Kobo) will happen to games. People just are living in denial about it.

Microsoft is doing Game Pass to get ahead of the curve, rope people into their ecosystem. Their aim is to be as ubiquitous and platform neutral for gaming as Netflix is for movies.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I really wish Xbox invested into VR, I would be a lot more willing to get a series X if they had a way to play VR games

As it is I'll probably just upgrade my PC at some point

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
The catch is you have to stay subbed if you don't buy games to play outside of the service. And if you do buy games outside of the service are you really saving money?

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
If you take advantage of Microsoft Rewards you can extend your subscription even further. Especially if you actually play Game Pass games.

They're pretty easy to take advantage of currently.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The catch is you have to stay subbed if you don't buy games to play outside of the service. And if you do buy games outside of the service are you really saving money?
Buying a game you like isn't a catch on other systems, why is it on Xbox? And play before you buy offsets disappointment. Also the game is discounted on GP.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Buying a game you like isn't a catch on other systems, why is it on Xbox? And play before you buy offsets disappointment. Also the game is discounted on GP.
Buying wasn't the catch, but not owning anything for the money spent is what I was saying the catch was. You have to stay subbed if it's a game that you take too long to finish, or just like to replay but for whatever reason you don't buy the games you suddenly feel like replaying. That said, you still have to buy games because not everything, or close to everything is on Gamepass.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
The catch is that eventually this won't be cheap. For someone like me who doesn't own an Xbox to come into this now... it's moderately expensive. Another catch is that if you rely on Gamepass, the months you don't feel like owning it you lose everything. Of course you can still play games you own, however people pushing the service make out as if Gamepass is all you need, and as people become more reliant on it then they will have more and more of their gaming provided by it and own less and less games going forward, so when you stop subscribing you lose all of your gaming. That's a pretty big catch. And if you're supposed to also buy games on the side then I don't really see what the appeal is of Gamepass in the first place.

You have to hope that the price never gets ridiculous.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
GamePass has been around for 2years already ? Kinda crazy.
Will be interesting to see how the sub rates increase post the XSX/xCloud launch.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
The catch is that if it takes off, everyone will launch their own subscription service. You'll be paying the same or more and owning none of it.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Even if Microsoft's games will be made with GP in mind, you obviously won't see them until years into the gen. But I think it's certainly possible since it could potentially generate a shitton of money.

Didn't someone or some company say they make more money with DLC and MTX than actual game sales?

I mean, from a business standpoint, why wouldn't they do it then?

Last edited:

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
Games will be made with Gamepass in mind, so more multiplayer, living games, GaaS, MTX

I don't think, I mean, except for 1st party game.

But I see GamePass as an opportunity for a lot of small solo games to be thrown in and maybe even published by Microsoft themselves, in the same way Netflix is creating a lot of "Netflix Originals" with a smaller budget but a continual stream of content.

Thing is, smaller solo games are easier to market for GamePass with a saying that you get every months more content and diversity for the same price, rather than GaaS which is, in the end, still the same game. I'm not sure GamePass GaaS games will be enough to sell the GP, I mean, most games can go the F2P road, they don't need to be within the GamePass (unless for games like Destiny 2 where you get the paid extension included within the GP).

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  • Games will be made with Gamepass in mind, so more multiplayer, living games, GaaS, MTX

This is mostly FUD, the idea GP will impose MTX as unlike $60 is simply false, most $60 games are aggressively integrating MTX that's inescapable. SoT doesn't punish you for not purchasing items or passes, the same goes for Gears 5, Forza Horizon 4 which have fleshed out modes without a single MTX needed or puts you at a disadvantage to others, these modes can stand next to any other quality full priced game. GP games have also been reported to perform well at retail on top of being accessible through GP, MS have got both bases covered.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I think the only catch is the same catch all subscription services have, if you're not interested in the content, it's a bit of a waste.

I understand why people have opted for a longer sub due to costs, but, like Netflix, it probably makes more sense to sub when there's something you want to play rather than just on an ongoing basis.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
The catch is that you can't be very selective of the games if that is your only way to game.

Otherwise it's really cheap.

That's not really a "catch" because there's no pressure to make it your only way to game.

The catch is that if it takes off, everyone will launch their own subscription service. You'll be paying the same or more and owning none of it.

This is no 'catch' either (and not accurate) because every game in these services is also sold outside of them, typically with a discount if you're a subscriber. The cycle of playing a game on gamepass initially, then buying it cheaper at a later date is a common one. Your overall spend per game ends up lower.

I'm not sure why people keep arguing that MP, GaaS games would be the type made with gamepass in mind. It makes no sense.

The draw of gamepass is that it has a wide variety of games to choose from - SP, MP you name it. People return every month to see what else is new. Flooding the service with MP GaaS would be go overwhelm it with individual games games that require a large time investment - which would decrease the services viability as a discovery tool as gamers find the select few games that occupy the majority of their time.

While the reality is that ANY game is a "gamepass game", a specifically designed for gamepass would be bite-sized or episodic SP game.

Last edited:

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
The catch is that eventually this won't be cheap. For someone like me who doesn't own an Xbox to come into this now... it's moderately expensive. Another catch is that if you rely on Gamepass, the months you don't feel like owning it you lose everything. Of course you can still play games you own, however people pushing the service make out as if Gamepass is all you need, and as people become more reliant on it then they will have more and more of their gaming provided by it and own less and less games going forward, so when you stop subscribing you lose all of your gaming. That's a pretty big catch. And if you're supposed to also buy games on the side then I don't really see what the appeal is of Gamepass in the first place.

Every other New service has Extensive trial
Periods to get subscribers on. Netflix. Apple TV plus. Spotify. YouTube TV. Kindle Unlimited.

But it's only Gamepass that people pipe up to issue dire and dark warnings of a future price hike to gouge users.

Hard pressed to believe this comment was made in good faith.

The catch is that Microsoft is now developing their games differently because of game pass. They will more resemble ftp games that have multiplayer elements and microtransactions.

I feel a moderator should be asking you for insider credentials now. Otherwise, I'd remind you that there are forum rules against deliberately posting misinformation.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Periods to get subscribers on. Netflix. Apple TV plus. Spotify. YouTube TV. Kindle Unlimited.

But it's only Gamepass that people pipe up to issue dire and dark warnings of a future price hike to gouge users.

Hard pressed to believe this comment was made in good faith.
Those other services you mention (apart from Kindle, kind of) don't require you to buy an expensive piece of hardware just to access it though. And sure MS want to change that and have streaming, but really to make the most of Gamepass you need to buy into Xbox in a way you don't need to with something like Netflix. If like most people you can only afford to buy into one ecosystem, and if you buy into Xbox for Gamepass as your main game delivery vehicle, then when you stop paying you're really left with an expensive box and not much to play on it. That's all I was getting at.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

So you don't see any value in renting games? Gamepass essentially lets you rent hundreds of games a month for $10.

The value is that for many people there are games that they would like to play, but don't neccisarily want to own. Or they would like to try before they buy and the discounts offered to subscribers makes ownership cheaper.

Last edited:

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Like Netflix, first-party content can stick around indefinitely, but expect little continuity for your third-party games.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
So you don't see any value in renting games? Gamepass essentially lets you rent hundreds of games a month for $10.

The value is that for many people there are games that they would like to play, but don't neccisarily want to own. Or they would like to try before they buy and the discounts make ownership cheaper.
I totally get the value, I don't think I made a comment on that. It is a great service, and I'm signed up for a year of PS Now because I got it for the cost of one game but I've played more than that already. The thread was asking what was the catch and to me what I said is a valid "catch" of all these kinds of services. With gaming and owning a system primarily as a means to use a service like this does leave you hostage after a while to continuously pay to keep access. That is the catch. It's also a feature, for better or worse. For instance you can sign up for a month to play a few games you want to, and cancel in full knowledge you only have that time to play. It's a feature of this system, but can also be a catch. That's all.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I totally get the value, I don't think I made a comment on that. It is a great service, and I'm signed up for a year of PS Now because I got it for the cost of one game but I've played more than that already. The thread was asking what was the catch and to me what I said is a valid "catch" of all these kinds of services. With gaming and owning a system primarily as a means to use a service like this does leave you hostage after a while to continuously pay to keep access. That is the catch. It's also a feature, for better or worse. For instance you can sign up for a month to play a few games you want to, and cancel in full knowledge you only have that time to play. It's a feature of this system, but can also be a catch. That's all.

I was referring to
And if you're supposed to also buy games on the side then I don't really see what the appeal is of Gamepass in the first place.

Gamepass is essentially a rental service that gives you access to the large catalog all at once. Most people will see their needs met by a mix of renting and ownership and Gamepass makes that dynamic cheap and fruitful with its quality selection and nice discounts. Its not a "one or the other" situation.

You aren't a hostage either. If you like something but dont want to subscribe anymore, you can buy it and you'll get a hefty discount.

I guess I dont see how losing access to the games you rented when you decide to stop renting them is a "catch"

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
OK? That is a hell of a deal. Buy three games a year or play hundreds a year. Hmmm...

well, depends on how you game. If you only play about 3 a year then it's not worth it. I have game pass PC and if I'm being honest I've never finished a game on the service.

Hundreds of games are great if you were going to play them anyway.

Microsoft putting their first party day one is great though, but I don't see 3 games a year coming to the service that I'll actually play.

I guess long story short, if you take every game you actually play and enjoy on gamepass and add up the prices of them on the day you downloaded and played them you'll be surprised at how close the values actually are.

Last edited:

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think there is a catch on the consumer end. MS may end up taking a loss on the whole thing but that's none of our business.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
I'm enjoying the ride, the service will be worth it until it isn't. Microsoft Rewards & Game Pass rewards will have me in free Game Pass Ultimate to the end of time at this rate. I'll take it.

Exactly. As of now it is of great value,but its value is gonna be constantly evaluated throughout these years from a consumer's perspective.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
well, depends on how you game. If you only play about 3 a year then it's not worth it. I have game pass PC and if I'm being honest I've never finished a game on the service.

Hundreds of games are great if you were going to play them anyway.

Microsoft putting their first party day one is great though, but I don't see 3 games a year coming to the service that I'll actually play.

I guess long story short, if you take every game you actually play and enjoy on gamepass and add up the prices of them on the day you downloaded and played them you'll be surprised at how close the values actually are.
Bad deal for you then. Great deal for most others. You stick to your three games a year.

I have probably saved over a hundred dollars this year with game pass. Yeah, just thinking about it I definitive have and that is only including games I've beat.

Hell of a deal!

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bad deal for you then. Great deal for most others. You stick to your three games a year.

I have probably saved over a hundred dollars this year with game pass. Yeah, just thinking about it I definitive have and that is only including games I've beat.

Hell of a deal!

Hey, more power too you man, just saying that depending on the person it's not a complete "no brainer" value. I'm not sure about most people though, most people on this forum though? More than likely.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Hey, more power too you man, just saying that depending on the person it's not a complete "no brainer" value. I'm not sure about most people though, most people on this forum though? More than likely.
Aren't they already at 10m subscribers? Seems significant. It will be a no brainer in the same way netflix is, or so ms hopes. People complain about netflix content but they continue to subscribe. Because of the value.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Aren't they already at 10m subscribers? Seems significant. It will be a no brainer in the same way netflix is, or so ms hopes. People complain about netflix content but they continue to subscribe. Because of the value.

10 million subscribers is less than 20% of all Xbox users. I'm not saying don't subscribe, I'm not saying it's a bad deal for most people, but just for comparison the average PS4 user has only purchased 10 games. I hope it gets bigger and gets more games day and date, but at the moment I'm not sure if it's a great value for most people.

Shion2

Aug 3, 2020

I don't think Game Pass is anything comparable to Spotify, it just can't bring as much value.

I have subscribed to Spotify for 7 years now and I still think it's a hell of a value. I listen to music for like 1200 hours annually and I'm only paying $120 for it, that's only enough for 6-8 albums if I buy CDs instead.

Spotify is different from GPU because with the former I get ever flowing music from new bands I would have never found by myself, but there is only that many new games I intent to play each year. When XGPU eventually terminates their introductory offers like $1 upgrade, I would be left with the choice of either spending $180 on a subscription filled with games I don't necessarily like, or 3-4 good games that I can keep.

Edit: Maybe I will change my view when XGPU gets some killer games in the future, but I'm afraid right now their lineup lacks in variety and doesn't cater to a lot of people's tastes.

Last edited:

HiHowAreYou

May 31, 2019
My question with gamepass is, how are people ok with a game they're in the middle of enjoying being removed from the service? Like if I signed up in July excited to play DMC 5...apparently that's leaving August 14th. That would drive me nuts. Let alone wanting to go back and play your save file of something you enjoyed a year ago... nope, it's gone. It seems like it's for the type of gamer who wants to play lots of random stuff and then is fine with moving on completely, which isn't me.