dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
10 million subscribers is less than 20% of all Xbox users. I'm not saying don't subscribe, I'm not saying it's a bad deal for most people, but just for comparison the average PS4 user has only purchased 10 games. I hope it gets bigger and gets more games day and date, but at the moment I'm not sure if it's a great value for most people.
10m subscribers is still....10m people. That's a lot, no matter how you want to dice it.

What's the source on PS4 owners buying only 10 games? Do you have similar data for Xbox owners? Maybe PS4 owners lean more casual, hence a much smaller number. Would like to see the source data though.

Shion2

Aug 3, 2020
10m subscribers is still....10m people. That's a lot, no matter how you want to dice it.

What's the source on PS4 owners buying only 10 games? Do you have similar data for Xbox owners? Maybe PS4 owners lean more casual, hence a much smaller number. Would like to see the source data though.
Here you go
segmentnext.com

PS4 Software Attach Rate Is Less Than PS2 But More Than PS3

Sony is clearly leading the gaming industry with its PS4 which is still doing exceptionally well as compared to its competitors like Xbox One and Nintendo

I believe 10 is already a pretty good number, most consoles won't get this high. I wouldn't be surprised that Xbox does lower this gen.

Edit: This link below says Xbox one is 6.55, but it also says PS4 is 8.76 so I'm not sure if the data is accurate or not.
vgsales.fandom.com

Software tie ratio

The software tie ratio tells us how many games were sold for every console purchased. Put another way, the hardware to software tie ratio shows how many games a system owner buys on average. A system's tie ratio is Total Software Unit Sales divided by Total Console Unit Sales. Often a system's...

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

10 million is a lot, I agree, but it's less than the amount of people who bought the Wii U, on the upside though that means that there's lots of room for growth.
As for my source, this is push square regurgitating Sony's numbers

and that's actually a high amount. Microsoft doesn't report hardware sales so no way of getting the number.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
My question with gamepass is, how are people ok with a game they're in the middle of enjoying being removed from the service? Like if I signed up in July excited to play DMC 5...apparently that's leaving August 14th. That would drive me nuts. Let alone wanting to go back and play your save file of something you enjoyed a year ago... nope, it's gone. It seems like it's for the type of gamer who wants to play lots of random stuff and then is fine with moving on completely, which isn't me.

Buy the game with the 20% discount that's applied to all games on the service, or wait for it to go on sale again if you missed it. Your save file will always exist, regardless of whether a game's removed or you stop subbing. DmC5 has been on the service for a year, which is pretty great for a 3rd-party game.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Reading this and an average of 10 games per person on PS4 is actually a good result. Yeah, okay that's the average. So Game Pass would be a hell of a deal for those same people.

And we shouldn't expect anywhere close to 100% adoption of Game Pass for Xbox. Not everyone pays for online either. From a quick google search, only 30% of PS4 owners pay for PS Plus. And that has been around for what, a decade? Yes, there's room for growth with Game Pass but 10% is a pretty amazing number at this stage. If they ever get any real competition things may change, but no one else even comes close to offering what Game Pass offers. Not even close.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My question with gamepass is, how are people ok with a game they're in the middle of enjoying being removed from the service? Like if I signed up in July excited to play DMC 5...apparently that's leaving August 14th. That would drive me nuts. Let alone wanting to go back and play your save file of something you enjoyed a year ago... nope, it's gone. It seems like it's for the type of gamer who wants to play lots of random stuff and then is fine with moving on completely, which isn't me.

Buy it? I figure this happens to people on netflix all the time. You're half way through a show and boom, it's gone.

Reading this and an average of 10 games per person on PS4 is actually a good result. Yeah, okay that's the average. So Game Pass would be a hell of a deal for those same people.

And we shouldn't expect anywhere close to 100% adoption of Game Pass for Xbox. Not everyone pays for online either. From a quick google search, only 30% of PS4 owners pay for PS Plus. And that has been around for what, a decade? Yes, there's room for growth with Game Pass but 10% is a pretty amazing number at this stage. If they ever get any real competition things may change, but no one else even comes close to offering what Game Pass offers. Not even close.

Again, if you're enjoying gamepass, that's fine. Also you're assuming those same people would play more games if they were able, but that's not entirely true, doubly so if the games they actually want to play aren't on gamepass. I agree gamepass is a good value, but it really wouldn't be for me, or many other people who buy consoles.

well, gamepass PC is a good deal for me at the moment sense I was going to buy halo infinite anyway, but if the price went to $10 a month, it wouldn't be.

Last edited:

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Buy it? I figure this happens to people on netflix all the time. You're half way through a show and boom, it's gone.

Again, if you're enjoying gamepass, that's fine. Also you're assuming those same people would play more games if they were able, but that's not entirely true, doubly so if the games they actually want to play aren't on gamepass. I agree gamepass is a good value, but it really wouldn't be for me, or many other people who buy consoles.
You are looking at it all wrong. Look at it like Netflix. You may want to watch...shit...what is even out now? Umm....that new Russell Crowe movie. It's not on Netflix. But there is a bunch of other stuff that is. You may not know as much about this stuff as the Russell Crowe movie but you will give it a chance rather than spending the $20 to watch the Russell Crowe movie. OR you pay to watch the Russell Crowe movie and you STILL subscribe to Netflix because it keeps you busy from 9-10 at night before you go to bed. You can't watch the Russell Crowe movie every night.

And you know what else is great about Game Pass? IT's not the only way to play games! If you choose to buy a game that's not on Game Pass. You can do that! Pretty great, huh?

It's a great value for a ton of people and we will see that subscription number continue to increase. You would think other companies would try to get into the game before Game Pass becomes too big. We'll see!

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You are looking at it all wrong. Look at it like Netflix. You may want to watch...shit...what is even out now? Umm....that new Russell Crowe movie. It's not on Netflix. But there is a bunch of other stuff that is. You may not know as much about this stuff as the Russell Crowe movie but you will give it a chance rather than spending the $20 to watch the Russell Crowe movie. OR you pay to watch the Russell Crowe movie and you STILL subscribe to Netflix because it keeps you busy from 9-10 at night before you go to bed. You can't watch the Russell Crowe movie every night.

And you know what else is great about Game Pass? IT's not the only way to play games! If you choose to buy a game that's not on Game Pass. You can do that! Pretty great, huh?

It's a great value for a ton of people and we will see that subscription number continue to increase. You would think other companies would try to get into the game before Game Pass becomes too big. We'll see!

Games aren't the same as movies though, games are a much longer commitment and active entertainment. Like I said, I haven't bought many games this year, but I'm always playing something. I'm not going to pick a random game on gamepass to play for an afternoon because I don't play a game in an afternoon.

Also yes I know I can buy games not on gamepass, most of the games I buy aren't on gamepass and it takes me months to finish a game, hence why I rarely use gamepass PC.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Games aren't the same as movies though, games are a much longer commitment and active entertainment. Like I said, I haven't bought many games this year, but I'm always playing something. I'm not going to pick a random game on gamepass to play for an afternoon because I don't play a game in an afternoon.
But isn't Microsoft trying to change that with Game Pass? You buy three games a year and you end up disliking two of them. What do you do? Give up or play through and beat it since you dropped $60? I'm guessing the latter. With Game Pass you don't have to make that decision. You don't like a game? You move on. It's that easy. Or if you love a game you keep coming back to it again and again and again. That's what I've done with Slay the Spire. I really ought to buy the game, but why would I? It's free on Game Pass and I get to play it as much as I want. Once it's removed from the service I will likely buy it, and I will be able to buy it at a discount thanks to Game Pass.

Have you tried Game Pass? You seem to be afraid to try something new or something you haven't researched. If you're only buying three games a year it seems like you really research those games and really try to make sure it's the right game for you. Maybe you should just try Game Pass and randomly choose some games to play. You may end up loving them and you would have NEVER experienced said game without Game Pass. Like I said, Slay the Spire is amazing. Streets of Rage 4 is great. Ori is fantastic. Void Bastards is a lot of fun. I'm guessing you haven't played any of these games. You could play them all today! For as little as $5. Give it a go!

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
What makes your habits special. Your problem is specific to you. If you can't start a game because you can't beat the game in a few hours that is your problem.

You refusing to pick a random game off of gamepass to try doesn't mean others are the same. Gamepass has given me the ability to play around 40 games in the past 2 years I would have NEVER given the time of day had they not been on gamepass.

These smaller studios put out some really fun titles and I've been hitting up the AAA games for a long while. I've been missing out.

Play a game
turn it off
come back later when you want

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
What makes your habits special. Your problem is specific to you. If you can't start a game because you can't beat the game in a few hours that is your problem.

You refusing to pick a random game off of gamepass to try doesn't mean others are the same. Gamepass has given me the ability to play around 40 games in the past 2 years I would have NEVER given the time of day had they not been on gamepass.
This guy gets it!
*goes back to playing Slay the Spire for the 800th time.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I'm not saying everyone is like me, I'm saying people like me.....exist?

I keep saying if it's great for you then it's great for you, awesome! It's just not a no-brainer for everyone.

But isn't Microsoft trying to change that with Game Pass? You buy three games a year and you end up disliking two of them. What do you do? Give up or play through and beat it since you dropped $60? I'm guessing the latter. With Game Pass you don't have to make that decision. You don't like a game? You move on. It's that easy. Or if you love a game you keep coming back to it again and again and again. That's what I've done with Slay the Spire. I really ought to buy the game, but why would I? It's free on Game Pass and I get to play it as much as I want. Once it's removed from the service I will likely buy it, and I will be able to buy it at a discount thanks to Game Pass.

Have you tried Game Pass? You seem to be afraid to try something new or something you haven't researched. If you're only buying three games a year it seems like you really research those games and really try to make sure it's the right game for you. Maybe you should just try Game Pass and randomly choose some games to play. You may end up loving them and you would have NEVER experienced said game without Game Pass. Like I said, Slay the Spire is amazing. Streets of Rage 4 is great. Ori is fantastic. Void Bastards is a lot of fun. I'm guessing you haven't played any of these games. You could play them all today! For as little as $5. Give it a go!

I've said it several times, I have gamepass PC and I haven't finished a single game on it. I've been subscribed sense late last year, and again, if it goes to the full $10 a month price I'm cancelling.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Well DMC V was on Gamepass for a full year. If you really wanted to play DMC V for cheap you should've signed up anytime in the last 12 months.

Gamepass also gives you a 10-20% discount if you decide to buy the game.

OP
OP
Phonzo

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not saying everyone is like me, I'm saying people like me.....exist?

I keep saying if it's great for you then it's great for you, awesome! It's just not a no-brainer for everyone.

I've said it several times, I have gamepass PC and I haven't finished a single game on it. I've been subscribed sense late last year, and again, if it goes to the full $10 a month price I'm cancelling.
I mean then nothing in the world is a no brainer

lets saya store is giving away free peanuts. People will agree that free is a no brainer. Well then a person that is allergic to peanuts come into the room and yells "it's not a no brainer for everyone"

Oct 26, 2017
The catch is you're playing Xbox.
david-james-nodding.gif

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
This is no 'catch' either (and not accurate) because every game in these services is also sold outside of them, typically with a discount if you're a subscriber. The cycle of playing a game on gamepass initially, then buying it cheaper at a later date is a common one. Your overall spend per game ends up lower.
So you end up paying the price of the subscription + the game itself, how is that cheaper?

With games becoming a service, we should compare them more with music than TV/Films (you'd play those games for months, not just once). The only way a service like that is actually cheaper is if it becomes something like Spotify, not Netflix. Otherwise you end up having to pay for multiple services + the price of whatever GaaS your friends play that's not on them, which would be more expensive and you'd own nothing.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I mean then nothing in the world is a no brainer

lets saya store is giving away free peanuts. People will agree that free is a no brainer. Well then a person that is allergic to peanuts come into the room and yells "it's not a no brainer for everyone"

Well yeah, fine. My only point in all of this was that gamepass ultimate costs $180 the price of 3 full games, and that the majority of people don't buy that many games a year. Unless you get 3 full games a year of value out of gamepass then it's not a great deal. I personally have not gotten 3 full games of value out of gamepass, but I only have gamepass PC, my brother, who had gamepass PC, cancelled it for that reason. The question of the thread was "what's the catch" and for me, and a few people I know in real life, it's that we don't extract the full value out of it. Honestly I straight up don't have the free time to extract it's full value out of it.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I enjoy Xbox Game Pass for PC and intend to keep on subscribing.

I wasn't able to get the extended free/cheap passes, perhaps because I'm in the UK, but I intend to keep paying the price.

The price difference between PC and Ultimate is huge so I won't be getting that. Shame because xcloud looked appealing

Any other PC only game pass users?

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Alright I'll have a go at this.

A gamepass ultimate subscription at full price is $15 a month, that's $15x12 = $180

So total cost of ownership for a Xbox Series X plus 5 year membership would be $499 + ($180x5) = $1399

Maybe you buy a few games here and there, including season passes, DLC etc = $2000 all up.

I don't think casual gamers spent $2000 last gen.

So enthusiast gamers would get a lot out of it if they played it all day. But for casual gamers - they get choice, even though they're not actually playing the games. They're not paying for the games, they're just paying for the choice. Like just because I own a massive backlog on Steam doesn't mean I'm actually playing all these games. So for Microsoft a game that just sits in the game library unplayed is the same as a game that's unpurchased, except with gamepass - Microsoft gets paid for unplayed games. If that makes sense. Like they offer 100 games, WOW, but most gamers will play like 5.

Shion2

Aug 3, 2020
I'm legitimately curious as to what games you play.

What are your favourite games of this gen?
Games I played most this gen are Monster hunter world, Nier Automata, Ys 8 and 9, Bloodborne, Sekiro, MGSV, FF7R, Ace Combat 7, GT Sport and a bunch of games from Bandai Namco like God Eater 2 Rage Burst, God Eater Resurrection, SAO LS/HR/FB/AL.

Maybe I should correct my previous post, The XGP lineup is not lame af, it just lacks in quality and variety and doesn't happen to cater to my taste.

Deleted member 68874

Banned
May 10, 2020
Games I played most this gen are Monster hunter world, Nier Automata, Ys 8 and 9, Bloodborne, Sekiro, MGSV, FF7R, Ace Combat 7, GT Sport and a bunch of games from Bandai Namco like God Eater 2 Rage Burst, God Eater Resurrection, SAO LS/HR/FB/AL.

Maybe I should correct my previous post, The XGP lineup is not lame af, it just lacks in quality and variety and doesn't happen to cater to my taste.
I'll just say Monster Hunter World, Nier Automata, MGS V, Ace Combat 7 and SAO:FB are all on or were at one point on Gamepass.

But I see your point overall as you seem to play a lot of Japanese developed games and unfortunately a lot of Japanese developers skip Xbox.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Many subscription services offer incredibly compelling lineups and great deals early in their life. Look at Netflix. With Netflix, I've found that the selection gradually diminished with time as the price increased, although it still has a decent selection bolstered by some high-quality originals. We'll see what happens to Game Pass in the longer term.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Why not just start and stop with "doesn't happen to cater to my tastes"?

Shion2

Aug 3, 2020
I'll just say Monster Hunter World, Nier Automata, MGS V, Ace Combat 7 and SAO:FB are all on or were at one point on Gamepass.

But I see your point overall as you seem to play a lot of Japanese developed games and unfortunately a lot of Japanese developers skip Xbox.
Well that's the problem that many have mentioned before in this post, that they were all at one point on Game Pass, and in most cases they join long after their initial release, by which time I have already bought something like a digital deluxe version on day one.

I agree that XGP has put some effort in securing Japanese titles, like for example I know FFVII, VIII, X, X-2, XII, XIII trilogy, and XV have all at some point appeared on their lineup. But it's not like that I don't have already played them long ago on other platforms. Also none of these games have Japanese text, which is why I've been getting many of my games from the Japanese PS store or Nintendo eshop.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
It's gonna be like that McDonalds menu that has doubled and tripled in price over the years. Now that they got you hooked on the value and taste, they'll slowly start rising the price and stable out on a cost to the public that just barely makes it worth it.

Shoreu

Oct 25, 2017
I've gotta stop you right here. Microsoft goal isnt to convince their users to consume games primarily or exclusively through Gamepass. So why should we be imagining the outcome or economics of that scenario?

Having this as an end goal would be devastating for xbox's bottom line It would be like if pre-covid Disney said, forget the box office, let's rely solely on Disney+.

Gamepass compliments xbox's traditional revenue streams- it's not out to replace them. MS hasn't grown sick of the high margins of the digital sale. They are using a service that primarily features past prime games, as a means to get people to make future purchases via the xbox store.

For example, my kid got introduced to the lego games via gamepass. The ones on the service were out for several years before he played them. Guess what dad had to do each time a Lego game was removed from the service? Guess what dad had to do when Lego DC villains launched and it wasn't on Gamepass?

Microsoft stands to make WAY more money by using Gamepass as a means to extend the life of old games and build franchise and brand engagement in a way that compliments the rest of their business. It's not designed to completely replace game sales ( not even amongst subscribers) and never will be.

"Guess what dad had to do" took me out 😂😂😂

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
it's a long term play and nobody knows how or when MS will drop the other shoe

also, wtf is up with replies in this thread. cant people be skeptical about a company that told it's users to go pound sand if they didn't have reliable internet connections last gen?

Richardbro

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Simple, the catch is I need to own my games and gamepass does not allow me to own the games.

Fantastic service for those who dont care and dont need to own their games.

Deleted member 68874

Banned
May 10, 2020

also, wtf is up with replies in this thread. cant people be skeptical about a company that told it's users to go pound sand if they didn't have reliable internet connections last gen?
That entire leadership team is gone, so it's a little bit silly to hold the previous team's decisions over their head 7 years later.

Be skeptical all you want but I think at some point you have to realize they've gone in a very different direction.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I always saw it as an annual investment. 180 EUR equals three full-price games. Since I like most of Microsoft's first-party games, I would've bought those anyway. And the wide breadth of Game Pass ensures that there's always also one or two heavy-hitter third-party games plus a ton of indies and smaller games that I'll enjoy. So in the end it's most likely gonna be cheaper for me than before plus I get to discover so many new games!

That said, I'll be benefiting from that crazy cheap deal until way into 2022 so I'm set haha

Yeah I get you but what I mean is when all of us on the crazy deal start to pay monthly I wonder if it will feel expensive when it isn't

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You mean like how Sony told people to get a second job to by a PS3? Or the blatant racist PSP White ad?

KillingJoke

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If you like xbox games and the 3p they make deals with, then GP is a no brainer. Just like EA access is great deal if you happen to like EA games. They catch is they want 100% of the money instead of the pie chart spilt when selling one copy of game.

The only issue is when people try to use it as a fighting point for console wars. They don't have a big enough 1P to convert fanbases and i don't think it will even really sell consoles to be honest. Its still a great deal either way.

Necronomicon

Banned
Dec 11, 2017
The catch is that now, at the end of the generation, it seems the best service ever, because AAA games of third parties come and go. But with new generation, it will take years to have new AAA games on the service and you will play only Microsoft's Studios' titles and retrogaming.
Some people will say "yeah! Games!"
Others will find the choice of what to play limited.

Myself, I like to decide what to play and when to play it, so I don't really like services like gamepass. Economic value is great... but it's kind of a trick, you judge it by quantities, but you won't play everything on the service.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
The catch is its Microsoft's way of disrupting the traditional business model of games because they know they cannot win it the old way.

They care about increasing revenue and profit, not "winning" a contest that isn't zero sum to begin with, and only matters to fans who are overinvested in the brands they patronize.

They moved to a more subscription-oriented model for games, for the same reason they moved Microsoft Office to a subscription-oriented model: they see a lucrative, consistent, iron-clad revenue stream down the road.

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
I'm not sure if it is a lot but I'm sure Gamepass leads to some sales. I know people who try games on Gamepass and end up buying the game to support it.

Also if Gamepass takes off, it will lead
to more console sales.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
The catch is that on this site you gotta put up with some terrible hot takes about it due to insecurity.

Seriously, everyone I see putting gamepass down gives an entirely different and unsubstantiated reason with nothing to back it up than mere faith it'll go bad.

And I say that as a PS player. It's a damn good service. PS Now is a joke by comparison.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
It's a shame I wasn't able to really get in on the extension deal. My Gold and Game Pass just combined to extend until a few months ago and I let Ultimate run out because it wasn't worth $15 per month to me.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
The catch is getting casuals to spend more on games.

Say a company makes a billion dollars a year from selling 20 different titles, and suppose the average person spends $100 a year on games by buying two of those games. If you can get the average person to spend $120 a year through a subscription, everyone kind of wins out. The person is getting to play a lot more games. The company is now making 20% more.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
There is no catch. The second we got the x86 architecture in the PS4 and XBO you should have immediately realized that P.C. and console gaming was going to start homogenizing and the individual hardware was going to become less and less relevant.

We talked about this at the start of last generation but it's actually starting to happen. Your console is a budget computer and the real money will be in services. EA told us this before Microsoft.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I think the catch will come later when they've locked enough people in to raise their prices.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
The catch is that Microsoft is now developing their games differently because of game pass. They will more resemble ftp games that have multiplayer elements and microtransactions.

I think this is going to be the case with Halo and Forza.

The catch will be Game Pass players have access to all the basic Battle Pass MTX stuff, that non subscribers have to pay/grind for.