• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
And yes, good completed stories are still superior to good uncompleted stories, and I am not budging on that.

But is a great uncompleted story superior to a good completed story?

(I'm not even sure on this myself, which is why I haven't got around to watching Carnivale yet. The time investment for it knowing it was killed 2 seasons (or was it 3 seasons?) early vs how good/great it is, makes me wary of it.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
But is a great uncompleted story superior to a good completed story?

(I'm not even sure on this myself, which is why I haven't got around to watching Carnivale yet. The time investment for it knowing it was killed 2 seasons (or was it 3 seasons?) early vs how good/great it is, makes me wary of it.
Probably. But it also makes it hurt ten times as much knowing it doesn't see an ending. As you say, it makes it even harder to start a show like that after the fact.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These short episode orders and 18-minute run times have been a godsend for me.

"BONDiNG", "Special", and "I Think You Should Leave" have all been cool experiments.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Got the free first month of HBO Nordic just to watch the newest episode of Game of Thrones ASAP (even though the last episode I've seen was S7E1). The hype for the episode got to me and just thought that I already saw the end for one saga in Endgame, might as well see how this particular end is handled in GOT. Started watching Killing Eve after that ended and fuck me if this didn't hook me immediately. Sandra Oh is such a treasure. She was one of the only standout things in Grey's Anatomy and she's great in this too.

But seriously. Fuck this show if they make me like a certain side character this much in only two episodes only to kill that character in the third. I've got the third episode paused currently because I'm afraid to watch forward. -_- Like, plz leave this character alone, I'm begging you gods of fiction.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Simon Pegg & Nick Frost's Stolen Picture To Adapt Ben Aaronovitch's Epic Fantasy Drama 'Rivers of London'
Stolen Picture, the production company set up by Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, is to adapt Ben Aaronovitch's epic fantasy drama Rivers of London.
The Rivers of London series follows Peter Grant, no relation to the infamous Led Zeppelin manager, an ordinary police constable turned magician's apprentice as he solves crimes across the British capital with a blend of urban fantasy, mystery thriller and fantasy caper. The franchise has sold over 2.5M copies worldwide
The first book, which is known as Midnight Riot in the U.S., sees Grant as he attempts to solve a puzzling murder with information from an eyewitness who happens to be a ghost. He then works with Detective Chief Inspector Thomas Nightingale, who investigates crimes involving magic and other manifestations of the uncanny. After, as a wave of brutal and bizarre murders engulfs the city, Grant is plunged into a world where gods and goddesses mingle with mortals and a long-dead evil is making a comeback on a rising tide of magic.
The first book will become the first season but Aaronovitch said that in future seasons they may potentially put more than one book together. It will likely be eight or ten episodes in its first season.
The team are currently at the "assembly" stage of the process and have not yet put together a wider writing team or gone out to pitch to broadcasters or SVOD platforms. Ketley said that it will be a global series.
kinda similar premise to the loooooooooong gestating Pratchett/The Watch series.

'Intergalactic' Producer Moonage Pictures To Adapt Lionel Davidson's Russian Spy Thriller 'Kolymsky Heights'
Moonage Pictures, the UK production company set up by a handful of Peaky Blinders execs, is adapting Lionel Davidson's Russian spy thriller Kolymsky Heights.

The BBC Studios-backed firm has optioned The 39 Steps-esque novel, which was originally published in 1994 but was republished by Faber in 2015 after it became one of the most requested out of print titles at UK bookstores.
It tells the story of an Oxford Professor, who receives an envelope containing nothing but two cigarette papers, which begins a chain of events that will change the course of history. Set just after the fall of the Iron Curtain, the story follows Johnny Porter's attempt to infiltrate the most secret research facility in Russia – a laboratory buried deep underground, a place nobody has ever left alive. Porter's quest takes him over the Arctic Ocean and into deepest Siberia – constantly switching identities as he goes.
I love the resurgence in spy thrillers, lay 'em all on me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'American Gods' Creator Neil Gaiman Talks Tonight's Season 2 Finale, His Favorite Episode + Teases Season 4 Plans
GAIMAN: ... I've spent the whole of South by Southwest working with Chic Eglee, our new showrunner, on breaking down what was going to happen to all of our characters of Season 3, and how Lakeside was going to work. Actually, I spent part of this week with him, and I'm going to be spending more time with him in the next few days not just working out Season 3 but also how that moves into Season 4, and what we're doing in Season 4.

DEADLINE: Season 4? Has there been an official renewal from Starz I haven't heard about?

GAIMAN: Not yet, but Chic and I are working right now on Season 4. He's come out to the East Coast for a couple of days. We're just breaking it down. Some of that is going over what we already planned for Season 3 and just figuring out how we're doing Season 4, how many episodes it is, and what we're delivering in the story by the end of Season 4.
The full article has spoilers for season 2.
But,. uh, yeah. Someone is feeling (over)confident.

'Mr. Robot' Creator Sam Esmail Says Series Will End In Season-Long "Christmas Special'
"Is anybody here a fan of British television?" he asked a packed Tribeca Talks crowd at the Tribeca Film Festival. He then offered a gift he hopes will keep on giving. "Typically how [British shows] wrap up series, like the British [version of The] Office, you tend to do a Christmas special. So the final season of Mr. Robot is one very long Christmas special that will last about a week over Christmas of 2015,"
Again, full article has spoilers in it!

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
HBO really knocked it out of the park last night with that big battle scene.

On Barry.

Because fuck that was awesome.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
HBO really knocked it out of the park last night with that big battle scene.

On Barry.

Because fuck that was awesome.
Yeah haven't even watched GoT yet and I know it's not topping that episode of Barry. It was so perfect that I didn't even miss
Hank
which I didn't even think could be possible.

Sunday nights are just amazing right now. So far this morning I've watched the aforementioned Barry along with superb episodes of Billions and Killing Eve. Truly the only thing I don't like about the current Sunday lineup is that it's almost too good.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Sunday night's ratings. ABC's "American Idol" went up quite a bit from last Sunday:

Fast-Demo-2019-Apr-28.SUN_.png

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
omg, someone beat Cornballer

in very unrelated news:

BBC, Netflix 'Dracula' Series Sets Directors, Adds Cast

Jonathan Aris ("Black Mirror: Bandersnatch"), Sacha Dhawan ("The Boy With the Top Knot"), Nathan Stewart-Jarrett ("Misfits") and Catherine Schell ("On Her Majesty's Secret Service") will be joining the already-announced Claes Bang, who plays the bloodthirsty count, in the three-part drama. Youssef Kerkour ("Jack Ryan") and Clive Russell ("Game Of Thrones") have also signed on to the series.
Production is now underway, with Jonny Campbell ("Westworld") directing the opening installment. Damon Thomas ("Killing Eve") and Paul McGuigan ("Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool") will helm Episodes 2 and 3, respectively.
The "Dracula" shoot started at Orava Castle in Slovakia and has since moved to England and Bray Studios, which was once owned by Hammer Films, the iconic U.K. horror producer.
61330289.jpg

A+ choice of castle to set a horror show in

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Phil Lord & Chris Miller Ink Mega Deal With Sony Pictures TV, Will Develop Spider-Man Universe TV Series
Oscar-winning writers/directors/producers Phil Lord and Chris Miller have signed a massive five-year overall deal with Sony Pictures Television.

None is commenting but the value of the pact but it is believed to be in the nine figures. Under the agreement, the duo will develop live-action comedy and drama series as well as animated shows through their Lord Miller Productions company, including a suite of TV series based on Sony's Universe of Marvel Characters, referred to Spider-verse, which had been a priority for SPT.
and I can't possibly leave out the drama:
Lord and Miller are moving to Sony Pictures TV after nine years at 20th Century Fox TV. I hear 20th TV was not under consideration by the duo at least in part because of its new status as Disney-own and Lord and Miller's history at Disney where they were dismissed as directors of the Han Solo Star Wars movie.
and might as well throw in what they did there:
Under their 20th TV pacts, Lord and Miller executive produced several series, including The Last Man On Earth, Making History and Son of Zorn. They remain in business with the studio as executive producers on two upcoming animated series, Bless the Harts for Fox and Hoopsfor Netflix.

Oct 27, 2017
Be interested to hear what Netflix has to say at their next investor conference call on what metrics they are using to tighten up their shows, whether its pure audience/sub metrics or if costs are starting to play a big part. Do they have a pretty good idea now on what kind of things a new show needs to hit the ground running well? By now they will have absolutely insane data on cast, content type, episode lengths, number of episodes, laughs/surprises/etc per episode, thumbnails, how long someone will stick with something before drifting away, etc.

Many of the newer netflix shows I have zero interest in, I do enjoy Altered Carbon but was kinda surprised it got a renewal given how expensive it must be. Wonder how things like Lucifer, Altered Carbon, Lost in Space will fare. Are those shows doing better than their newer stuff like Russian Doll?

In a recent article there was a tiny note where an unnamed source claimed Netflix's data showed they gain basically zero subs for a show beyond it's second season. Unless a show is a mega hit, 2-3 seasons looks like what we'll get from Netflix, which honestly I'm fine with.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Bloomberg: Walmart Bets on TV Shows for Families, Date Night in Media Push
The retailer plans to bankroll at least a half-dozen original programs over the next year, and will unveil the first few to advertisers in New York this week, people familiar with the plans said. Walmart has talked with several Hollywood studios about rebooting family-friendly projects from years ago, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the plans aren't public yet.

Walmart's slate is supposed to lure more viewers to Vudu, a company-owned streaming service that already offers free programs with commercials, along with online rentals and sales of movies and shows.
Unlike Netflix and Amazon, Walmart isn't going to sell its customers a subscription. It sees an opportunity to generate cash by using shows on Vudu to advertise products. The Bentonville, Arkansas-based retailer has been pitching advertising agencies in recent weeks, eager to line up deals in time for its presentation this week.

The company will tout new advertising technology at the event, and has already convinced some of its biggest suppliers to commit tens of millions of dollars in upfront advertising sales, the people said.

The new shows will test the potential of "shoppable" content -- programming that can directly lead to sales in stores or online. Not only will viewers see ads, they will have the option to buy products seen in the shows, such as paper towels or soft drinks.
The show is typical of what Walmart has told Hollywood executives it wants -- programs that families can watch at home together. The company wants to appeal to kids, parents and couples on date night. It's close to deals for a science-fiction show and a procedural program like "CSI.''

With just days to go before its presentation, Walmart was still scrambling to get deals done, and had yet to reach agreements on at least a couple shows that it wanted to announce, according to the people.

FoneBone

Oct 27, 2017
This has potential:

Aftershow Spoof 'What Just Happened,' Starring Fred Savage, a Go at Fox
The network has handed out a nine-episode, straight to series order for What Just Happened??! With Fred Savage, a satire on the glut of aftershows and the big genre dramas they follow — like AMC's Talking Dead and The Walking Dead.

What Just Happened is described as a half-hour hybrid comedy/talk showwhosefocus on the fictional drama series The Flare. The latter is based on the also fictional book The Moon Is the Sun at Night, which revolves around a solar event and its effects on Earth — specifically, the small, blue-collar town of Milford, Ill. – and slowly unfolds into a post-apocalyptic battle for human survival. The Flare and Moon were both teased on Fox's social media accounts early Monday. (See those teases in the photo, above.)

Savage will be the super-fan of the book who serves as the pseudo-host of What Just Happened. The half-hour satire will feature sit-down celebrity interviews, set visits to the fake drama The Flare and interviews with the latter's "cast," on top of discussions with fans and more.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017

this is bullshit.

No surprise about Santa Clarita Diet given the recent articles about Netflix's m.o. with regard to its original shows.

I'd gladly watch more of it, but it's nice for a show to end and leave me wanting more instead of dragging on like way to much stuff does now.

Critically acclaimed and highly rated shows with actual lore that hasn't been explained much at all yet being canceled is awful. Netflix needs to pull its head out of its ass and stop this 3 seasons and done shit.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
anyone know when any of these are coming back?

Bill Nye Saves the World
Black Mirror
Castlevania
Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee
Dear White People
GLOW
Jessica Jones
Mindhunter
My Next Guest Needs No Introduction...
Orange is the New Black
Ozark
Jack Ryan
The Expanse
Forever
Silicon Valley
Rick & Morty
Search Party
Divorce
The Affair
Robot Chicken

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Re: The Son season two - it's about time someone cast Lois Smith as a lead in something! She's always so good in everything and I'm still annoyed the Emmys snubbed her for that episode of The Americans in favor of Margo Martindale.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

any news on international distribution?

Black Mirror - yes
Castlevania - yes
Dear White People - yes
GLOW - yes
Jessica Jones - no its dead
Mindhunter - yes
Orange is the New Black - no its done I think?
The Expanse - yes on amazon
Rick & Morty - yes one day...eventually... in the far future...

changed your quote with the ones I know about

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

Bill Nye Saves the World
Black Mirror
Castlevania
Dear White People
GLOW
Jessica Jones
Mindhunter
Orange is the New Black
Ozark
Jack Ryan
The Expanse
Forever
Silicon Valley
Rick & Morty
Search Party
Divorce
The Affair
Robot Chicken
That's a very long list to ask about. No offense, but Google is your friend. Or the TV sites often have a calendar of upcoming premieres. Jessica Jones was cancelled.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Bill Nye Saves the World
Black Mirror
Castlevania
Dear White People
GLOW
Jessica Jones
Mindhunter
Orange is the New Black
Ozark
Jack Ryan
The Expanse
Forever
Silicon Valley
Rick & Morty
Search Party
Divorce
The Affair
Robot Chicken
Wait i thought The Expanse was cancelled?

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Now that I started watching Santa Clarita Diet, I'm sad that Netflix canceled it.

I hear that it didn't have a proper ending... why not order a mini season just to wrap things up?

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
That's a very long list to ask about. No offense, but Google is your friend. Or the TV sites often have a calendar of upcoming premieres. Jessica Jones was cancelled.

I've googled. Google isn't great for this because it pulls up sites that dishonestly say in the title the premiere date but then in the actual content they say "no one knows yet"

Jessica Jones has a Season 3 coming. Again, all these are coming back.

Status
Not open for further replies.