• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Id just be afraid of Manifest losing everyone in s2, how did something like LOST stay for so many years without growing stale.

Lost had some of the most memorable characters to ever grace an hour-long drama from like... the very start. I don't think Manifest has that or will have that.

Lost also managed to stay fresh most of the time, even if not everyone liked the direction. When it was starting to feel as if it is was spinning its wheels and not going anywhere (first half of season 3), they announced when the show would be ending and the pace never really slowed down from the end of season 3 onward.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
B99 season 5 ended this year so it counts for Ratsky's top 10 thread right?

Eh, it was already in last year's thread. But if people want to throw a vote towards it for some reason, then whatever.

and they wanna keep going for 10 years.

Obviously, it makes zero sense to cancel it. It's still incredibly popular. But these ratings will continue to trend downward. It might be better to start thinking of an end date over "10 more years!"

The "10 more years" thing was explicitly about the franchise as a whole - they weren't saying that The Walking Dead is going to be on the air up to season 19.

SGPvGYi.gif

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The "10 more years" thing was explicitly about the franchise as a whole - they weren't saying that The Walking Dead is going to be on the air up to season 19.

If the main show's ratings keep getting worse and worse, there is no 10 year plan. The TV franchise will simply end.

They haven't even proven that they can handle one spin off correctly, let alone continuing a declining franchise into the future with more spinoffs.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
If the main show's ratings keep getting worse and worse, there is no 10 year plan. The TV franchise will simply end.

They haven't even proven that they can handle one spin off correctly, let alone continuing a declining franchise into the future with more spinoffs.

I mean, that's quite a leap to make. And the ratings will keep getting worse because that's what happens to literally 99.99% of all shows over the course of their lifespans.

Fear the Walking Dead is one of the most successful and profitable cable series in history so I'm not sure what you mean there.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
So I discovered something pretty funny, none of the CW shows will be airing on regular Canadian networks this year, only specialty/basic cable. For example, normally The Flash would air on CTV/CTV2 then later on Space (they're all owned by Bell) but this year no Canadian network is airing it at all (unless I missed it). Arrow/Legends of Tomorrow/Supernatural will only air on Space (Bell), All American/Charmed on W Network (Corus), and Legacies/Supergirl on Showcase (Corus). I don't think any of the other shows (Flash, Black Lightning, Riverdale, Dynasty, Crazy Ex) will air on Canadian networks at all. Guess Canadian networks are done with these low rated shows and them starting after everything else. I've been saying it for the last few years but the CW really needs to start their seasons before the other networks, not after them.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
So I discovered something pretty funny, none of the CW shows will be airing on regular Canadian networks this year, only specialty/basic cable. For example, normally The Flash would air on CTV/CTV2 then later on Space (they're all owned by Bell) but this year no Canadian network is airing it at all (unless I missed it). Arrow/Legends of Tomorrow/Supernatural will only air on Space (Bell), All American/Charmed on W Network (Corus), and Legacies/Supergirl on Showcase (Corus). I don't think any of the other shows (Flash, Black Lightning, Riverdale, Dynasty, Crazy Ex) will air on Canadian networks at all. Guess Canadian networks are done with these low rated shows and them starting after everything else. I've been saying it for the last few years but the CW really needs to start their seasons before the other networks, not after them.

Riverdale, Black Lightning, and Dynasty are Netflix again this year, I believe, but you're right, not on networks. All of CW's remaining line-up is so fragmented in Canada. I figured someone like Crave would grab them all up, or at least the Canadian version of CBS All Access would try and do it.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Riverdale, Black Lightning, and Dynasty are Netflix again this year, I believe, but you're right, not on networks. All of CW's remaining line-up is so fragmented in Canada. I figured someone like Crave would grab them all up, or at least the Canadian version of CBS All Access would try and do it.
What really surprised me and what caused me to look into this is when I saw The Flash wasn't on any Canadian network at all tonight or for the next week. It seems Bell just dropped it completely. Why wouldn't they throw it on Space with their other shows?

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
What really surprised me and what caused me to look into this is when I saw The Flash wasn't on any Canadian network at all tonight or for the next week. It seems Bell just dropped it completely. Why wouldn't they throw it on Space with their other shows?

Very true, unfortunate Space wasn't able to keep them all together. There was a Netflix Canada video showing The Flash having new episodes in October, but no date attached. Hopefully it'll be like Black Lightning and be the next day.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I know you go to bat for this show a lot but come on, you know the 10-year-plan is not going to work out for AMC.

It absolutely is.

Look at the ratings for both shows - TWD is still huge and FtWD is very respectable. Now look at the ratings for the rest of AMC's lineup. They could launch a new WD universe series that's getting half the ratings of FtWD's most recent season and it would still get at least 4 seasons. AMC owns TWD's film and TV rights and they make huge amounts of money off it - money that isn't wholly dependent upon ratings.

You also need to keep in mind that their "10 year plan" wasn't limited to airing Walking Dead series on AMC - they're open to licensing the IP out to other channels and streaming services, and films are also on the table. They're planning a foreign version that could be fully funded by Sky or RTL or Canal or NHK or Yes Oh or Foxtel or whatever channel that wants it bad enough.

There's absolutely no reason to believe that The Walking Dead franchise won't last another 10 years - outside of giving in to the ridiculous hyperbole that permeates any discussion of The Walking Dead or AMC in general.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It absolutely is.

Look at the ratings for both shows - TWD is still huge and FtWD is very respectable. Now look at the ratings for the rest of AMC's lineup. They could launch a new WD universe series that's getting half the ratings of FtWD's most recent season and it would still get at least 4 seasons. AMC owns TWD's film and TV rights and they make huge amounts of money off it - money that isn't wholly dependent upon ratings.

You also need to keep in mind that their "10 year plan" wasn't limited to airing Walking Dead series on AMC - they're open to licensing the IP out to other channels and streaming services, and films are also on the table. They're planning a foreign version that could be fully funded by Sky or RTL or Canal or NHK or Yes Oh or Foxtel or whatever channel that wants it bad enough.

There's absolutely no reason to believe that The Walking Dead franchise won't last another 10 years - outside of giving in to the ridiculous hyperbole that permeates any discussion of The Walking Dead or AMC in general.

Well, I took the "10 year" comment specifically as TWD on AMC so that's fair.

But I think you're really overestimating how long the franchise as a TV show has left.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
'Wild Wild Country' director Maclain Way said he shopped the six-part documentary series to a number of outlets where he and brother Chapman Way received a "very cold" reaction. One distributor, which initially went nameless, asked if any celebrity had been part of the 1980s cult — or at minimum, would agree to narrate Wild Wild Country.

Hmm, which network is obsessed with star fucking to a detrimental degree? Who could it be...

Pressed by moderator Johanna Coles to name the outlet that spurned the Emmy Award winning documentary, Maclain Way volunteered — HBO.

Source

I am shocked.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, Fox is making a sequel to David Carradine's 'Kung Fu'

Fox has given a put pilot commitment to Kung Fu, a present-day sequel to the 1970s David Carradine-starring TV series, from former Sleepy Hollow executive producer Albert Kim, Greg Berlanti's Berlanti Prods. and Warner Bros. TV, where the company is based.

Written by Kim, Kung Fu is an action-driven procedural about a young Chinese-American woman who inherits her father's kung fu studio, only to discover it's actually a secret center dedicated to helping members of the Chinatown community who have nowhere else to turn. With the help of a former star pupil — a smart and driven ex-Marine — she vows to continue the school's mission. In the process, she discovers things she never knew about her cultural background and family's heritage, including a connection to a legendary ancestor.

That legendary ancestor presumably is Carradine's character from the original series, Shaolin monk Kwai Chang Caine.

Last year, Fox, Berlanti Prods. and WBTV developed a more straight-forward female-lead reboot of the original series with a different writer. The period drama, which did not go to pilot, followed the adventures of Lucy Chang, a Buddhist monk and kung fu master who travels through 1950s America armed only with her spiritual training and her martial arts skills as she searches for the man who stole her child years before.

per Deadline

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AH yeah Manifest and 9-1-1- are holding steady, odd the season Im not watching anyting on ABC and CBS is the season NBC has its best performance in years.

Gimme that s2 and s3 announcement.

Id just be afraid of Manifest losing everyone in s2, how did something like LOST stay for so many years without growing stale.

LOST was far from perfect but it legitimately had some of the best character writing of any show on television, even to this day. Even when the show would get messy it had a flat out incredible cast / ensemble with strong character writing behind it

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, I really thought that The Flash was still airing this year on CTV or CTV2... WTF?

So, how Canadians will be able to watch the new crossover event in December?

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, I really thought that The Flash was still airing this year on CTV or CTV2... WTF?

So, how Canadians will be able to watch the new crossover event in December?

The Flash will now be on Netflix Canada, but it's still unknown if it's next day like the other CW shows (it only says "new episodes starting in October" at the moment).

So I guess the crossover event would go Netflix Canada (potentially a day late for Flash, so on the same day as Arrow) > Space (for Arrow) > Showcase (Supergirl).

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
The Flash will now be on Netflix Canada, but it's still unknown if it's next day like the other CW shows (it only says "new episodes starting in October" at the moment).

So I guess the crossover event would go Netflix Canada (potentially a day late for Flash, so on the same day as Arrow) > Space (for Arrow) > Showcase (Supergirl).
Damn, it's a real mess for Canadian viewers now.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but it looks like CTV dropped every superheroes tv show that they were airing?

Arrow, The Flash, DC's Legends of Tomorrow, The Gifted, anything else?

It will probably be the same thing for Gotham and Agents of SHIELD next year.

Last edited:

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, it's a real mess for Canadian viewers now.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but it looks like CTV dropped every superheroes tv show that they were airing?

Arrow, The Flash, DC's Legends of Tomorrow, The Gifted, anything else?

It will probably be the same thing for Gotham and Agents of SHIELD next year.

It's definitely looking that way, unfortunately. Gotham and Agents of SHIELD are still in CTV's system, but not listed in their current shows (while other off-season shows are). It's looking like a lot of the others were dropped and picked up by Space and Showcase, it's possible those two will as well, as CTV focuses on drama, comedy, and reality.

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely looking that way, unfortunately. Gotham and Agents of SHIELD are still in CTV's system, but not listed in their current shows (while other off-season shows are). It's looking like a lot of the others were dropped and picked up by Space and Showcase, it's possible those two will as well, as CTV focuses on drama, comedy, and reality.
I think I found the real reason why all of this is happening with CTV right now:
https://www.bellmedia.ca/pr/press/b...tination-and-launches-new-ctv-movies-service/

Bell and CTV will be rebranding many of their tv channels soon; Space, Bravo, Comedy and Gusto will become CTV Sci-Fi, CTV Drama, CTV Comedy and CTV Life.

This is probably why Arrow and DC's Legends of Tomorrow moved from CTV to Space, the original CTV channel stopped airing sci-fi tv shows because there will be a CTV Sci-Fi channel really soon.

Last edited:

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
LOST was far from perfect but it legitimately had some of the best character writing of any show on television, even to this day. Even when the show would get messy it had a flat out incredible cast / ensemble with strong character writing behind it

It did? The characters were boring archetypes with way too many daddy issues.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Because I know y'all were waiting for this:

Snap Originals Unveils Slate Of Fall Shows
In Endless Summer (launching Oct. 10), Summer McKeen and Dylan Jordan try to balance love, friends, family, and fame in this intimate snapshot of their lives in Laguna Beach, California. Class of Lies (Oct. 10) features best friends and college roommates Devon and Missy Missy cracking cold cases on their successful true-crime podcast — one of them being the disappearance of their best friend. Also launching on Oct. 10 is the Duplass Brothers college coming-of-age series CO-ED.

In Vivian (Oct. 22) from NBCU Digital Lab, we follow the life of the titular Vivian, the youngest model scout at Wilhelmina, one of the most prestigious modeling agencies in the world. Snap goes from supermodels to supernatural in The Dead Girls Detective Agency (Oct. 22). Based on the young adult novel by Susie Cox, the dark comedy follows Charlotte Feldman, a young woman who must work from beyond to figure out how and why she died, in order to avoid an eternity in purgatory. And in the spirit of anthologies, Snap will launch the horror series V/H/S on Oct. 28 — just in time for Halloween.
Another scripted original slated for a TBD release on Snap include the French format-inspired Bref as well as the romantic comedy #Vanlife about a young couple that decides to opt out of the rat race and start a new life in a 2004 Dodge Sprinter.
Bringing Up Bhabie, a recently greenlit docuseries that will follow "cash me outside" viral star Bhad Bhabie. Other greenlit docuseries include the Bunim/Murray-produced docuseries Growing Up Drag which follows the coming of age of teen drag stars as well as Stunt Brothers, a series that follows daredevil brothers recreating Hollywood movies at home. In Deep Creek, a group of friends gets put to the test when they make their yearly summer trip to Deep Creek, Maryland only to have all their emotional secrets revealed.
The slate of shows adds to Snap's continuing push for original content. Their first original Good Luck America launched 2 years ago. They have since added over 60 original series from dozens of partners, including NBC, CBS, ESPN, Viacom and others.
Not gonna lie, some of these shows sound neat, but I don't wanna watch them on Snapchat. (I'd kill for The Dead Girls Detective Agency on like the CW.) The show they launched two years ago I haven't ever seen, or seen anyone talk about anywhere, mobile first video platforms have not succeeded so far and I don't see Snap doing much better.

In totally unrelated news:

Snap Stock Hits New Low; Analyst Says It's "Quickly Running Out Of Money"
Shares in Snapchat parent Snap Inc. took a dive after a harsh report from a Wall Street analyst, who warned that the company is "quickly running out of money."

The stock dropped more than 6% today to close at $7, the lowest closing price since the company's IPO in March 2017. Trading volume was double the average level. During the final hour of the session, shares dipped to an all-time low of $6.84.

Veteran media and tech analyst Michael Nathanson put the social media giant on notice in a blistering note to clients, warning that the social media company is "quickly running out of money" and needs a "miracle" solution. Its war chest could be completely empty by 2020, he projected.

Nov 1, 2017
Another reason TWD can stick around for awhile: the high cast turnover prevents ballooning cast salaries which becomes a big problem for long-running shows.

Nov 1, 2017
I say with the ratings they have at least 2 seasons, then they will make big changes behind and in front of the camera then a season after that.

I mean, it's still the third highest rated show on tv. It's still got a ways to fall. It could totally be in the cancellation range in a couple seasons especially if the decline continues to accelerate, but I could also see a situation where it stabilizes at a lower demo and runs for another 7-8 years.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's still the third highest rated show on tv. It's still got a ways to fall. It could totally be in the cancellation range in a couple seasons especially if the decline continues to accelerate, but I could also see a situation where it stabilizes at a lower demo and runs for another 7-8 years.
Depends if advertisers will want a discount

Oct 27, 2017
Well, if The Outpost can be renewed at .1, then Black Lightning will be safe.

Although I wish it would be a bit higher, as well.

Not the same situation in any way. Outpost is licensed programming, (IIRC it was made for SYFY's international channels) while BL is a CW original. I'd guess BL costs at least 10 times as much as they pay for Outpost.

Keep in mind that ratings are not what determines a shows fate these days. If Warner Brothers, who own half of CW, is making money selling BL internationally and to streaming, then CW isn't going to cancel it.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Not the same situation in any way. Outpost is licensed programming, (IIRC it was made for SYFY's international channels) while BL is a CW original. I'd guess BL costs at least 10 times as much as they pay for Outpost.

Keep in mind that ratings are not what determines a shows fate these days. If Warner Brothers, who own half of CW, is making money selling BL internationally and to streaming, then CW isn't going to cancel it.

The comment was made as more of a joke of The Outpost being renewed. My spoiler is more of what I am feeling.

Pedowitz though has been pretty open on keeping the DC shows going/showing his support and I have a feeling that won't change for awhile.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
WarnerMedia Launching Direct-To-Consumer Streaming Service In Fourth Quarter Of 2019
WarnerMedia boss John Stankey announced the company will throw down the gauntlet against Disney and digital competitors with a new direct-to-consumer streaming service launching by the end of 2019.

"Today we announced plans to launch a new direct-to-consumer streaming service in the fourth
quarter of 2019," Stankey said in a statement. "This is another benefit of the AT&T/Time Warner merger, and we are committed to launching a compelling and competitive product that will serve as a complement to our existing businesses and help us to expand our reach by offering a new choice for entertainment with the WarnerMedia collection of films, television series, libraries,
documentaries and animation loved by consumers around the world. We expect to create such a compelling product that it will help distributors increase consumer penetration of their current packages and help us successfully reach more customers."
So in addition to HBO Now, DC Universe (heh), and Audience (which I know technically isn't an OTT). I mean sure, why not.

also, remember what I said about how no mobile first services have worked out yet? I'm just mentioning this for no reason.
Jeffrey Katzenberg And Meg Whitman Unveil Name Of NewTV: Quibi (Short For Quick Bites)
Media mogul Jeffrey Katzenberg and veteran tech executive Meg Whitman used the prominent platform of Vanity Fair's New Establishment Summit to announce the name of their new mobile video startup and drop the names of four high-profile Hollywood players who will create content for the subscription service.
Filmmakers Sam Rami, Guillermo del Toro and Antoine Fuqua and noted producer Jason Blum will all create shows for the new mobile subscription service, which launches next year.
Whitman announced the service will be called Quibi, short for quick bites of content.

"Jeffrey can't stop saying the name Quibi," Whitman said. "I think that will be a fun name for us."
MgkjxbP.jpg

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Why do people keep trying to make bespoke entertainment networks when you don't own a huge back catalogue you can leverage??

Status
Not open for further replies.