• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Glad Van Helsing is getting another season though I'm starting to feel like it should be nearing its end next year.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
This makes no sense. It's not like they fired him, he left for a better job.
Look, when off-broadway theatres are capable of firing his ass with the statement "We're committed to creating and maintaining a respectful and professional work environment for everyone we work with " (emphasis mine but yeah) Netflix should do the same. It was just a comment on how he wasn't in charge of Van Helsing anymore and shouldn't be in charge of shit.

Oct 27, 2017
Look, when off-broadway theatres are capable of firing his ass with the statement "We're committed to creating and maintaining a respectful and professional work environment for everyone we work with " (emphasis mine but yeah) Netflix should do the same. It was just a comment on how he wasn't in charge of Van Helsing anymore and shouldn't be in charge of shit.

Your statement obviously makes it sound like SYFY fired him, which they did not. Unless you're trying to claim the MCC Theater was putting on a sci-fi tv show instead of a play.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Your statement obviously makes it sound like SYFY fired him, which they did not. Unless you're trying to claim the MCC Theater was putting on a sci-fi tv show instead of a play.
I can't take responsibility for whatever you read into my post. Nowhere in the first post you took umbrage with did I mention that he was fired or anything akin to that, just that he wasn't in charge anymore (which is accurate), that not having him in charge is smart (which, also accurate), and that maybe Netflix should consider the same. Your reading of that post is not obvious at all.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I can't take responsibility for whatever you read into my post. Nowhere in the first post you took umbrage with did I mention that he was fired or anything akin to that, just that he wasn't in charge anymore (which is accurate), that not having him in charge is smart (which, also accurate), and that maybe Netflix should consider the same. Your reading of that post is not obvious at all.
I'll chime in and disagree with you. Saying that SyFy is smart for not having him in charge of the show anymore implies that it was their decision. A more apt word would be "fortunate" since it wasn't their choice.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
I'll chime in and disagree with you. Saying that SyFy is smart for not having him in charge of the show anymore implies that it was their decision. A more apt word would be "fortunate" since it wasn't their choice.
🤷‍♂️
I don't even mention SYFY by name and the whole thing was a suggestion that Netflix is dumb for letting him be a showrunner. If that's how you two read it, ok, not how it was intended but I have already spent way more time arguing about anything even remotely related to Neil LaBute for this day to turn out to be good.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I only watched the first two, but Jesus that series went downhill fast. I think there were two issues with that franchise. YA adaptation fatigue & the second novel would have been way too hard to adapt so they had to make an entire new script.

It's a shame. As someone who likes comic book movies I did like that there were other franchises around at the beginning of the decade. Now there is nothing.

Okay, I barely remember this. This was the thing were they went "Okay, last movie is cancelled. We'll just conclude the movie with a TV show." and all the actors were all "wtf no." right?
I believe it was originally just supposed to be a TV movie. Then they changed it to a show:

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I only watched the first two, but Jesus that series went downhill fast.
Only 2 were made.

I think there were two issues with that franchise. YA adaptation fatigue & the second novel would have been way too hard to adapt so they had to make an entire new script.
The movies didn't even do badly at the BO, they were both ~$300 million. I blame Shailene Woodley, she was so bad they even cut here from Amazing Spider-Man 2! :P
Seriously though, the film franchise died because the director quit.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I barely remember this. This was the thing were they went "Okay, last movie is cancelled. We'll just conclude the movie with a TV show." and all the actors were all "wtf no." right?
Yeah, Shailene Woodley found out during the press tour for Snowden, and then went all "I didn't sign up to be in a television show".
Only 2 were made.

The movies didn't even do badly at the BO, they were both ~$300 million. I blame Shailene Woodley, she was so bad they even cut here from Amazing Spider-Man 2! :P
Seriously though, the film franchise died because the director quit.
I can't tell if this is a joke à la "there are no Matrix sequels" or not. So disregard the following if that's the case; they had already switched directors once in the series so that's not the main issue, it
s that the third film flamed out hard (it made only $66M in the US and $179M total worldwide on a $110M budget) which led to Lionsgate first slashing the budget for the fourth film before they killed it all together for a TV movie turned TV series that now is confirmed will never happen.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Nah, that was my bad about 3 movies actually coming out and I was only looking at the first two when I wrote my post. The director of 2 and 3 quiting instead of finishing 4 (which was actually 3: part 2) sure as hell didn't help. Either way, it wasn't YA fatigue tanking the series when crap like Maze Runner 2 and 3 still did well at the BO during the same time.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Tuesday night's repeats...oh, right, The Voice is still airing new episodes:

Fast-Demo-2018-Dec-18.TUE_.png

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of bad ideas and sci-fi; remember that supposed Divergent spin-off?
Buzzfeed News: How "Divergent" Turned Into A Disaster
lol they didnt have to put book spoilers like that.

But Im sad, I loved this movie franchise.

Disagreee with the person saying it was aimless and had no clear direction. I think the goal was always breaking the borders and escaping their castes, and then freeing everyone of the walls they lived in.

That said, on my list of Hunger Games, Twilight, MazeRunner, Percy Jackson, and so on,

Divergent comes under Hunger games. Twilight and MazeRunner are tied for one for me.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"What's more frustrating for its tens of fans, the story ended on a cliffhanger. "

Love the low-key shade here.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Poor Divergent, I actually enjoyed the first two for the most part but part 1 of the third book/movie did lose me.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
OWN Breaks Up With 'Love Is _' Amidst EP Salim Akil Domestic Violence Claims
After just one season, Love Is_ has been cancelled today by OWN as executive producer Salim Akil faces allegations of domestic violence and lifting the idea for the series from an ex-lover.

"OWN has decided not to move forward with the second season of Love Is _ ," the Oprah Winfrey founded outlet said Wednesday, almost five months after initially announcing this summer that the Mara Brock Akil and Salim Akil produced series was renewed. "The TV memoir was inspired by the real-life love story of married producers Mara Brock Akil and Salim Akil," OWN added in a telling insight into the decision to pull the Love plug.
BTW – The show may be over but cast and producers were all paid for the second season under contractual obligations, I've learned.

The cancellation follows the completion of an inquiry by producer WBTV on both Love Is _ and the CW series Black Lightning. Salim Akil is the showrunner on the latter and both Akils serve as Eps on both shows. While there never were allegations of misconduct by Salim Akil on either show and none were found as a result of the inquiries, the studio made the move on November 30 after the abuse case from actor Amber Dixon Brenner in Los Angeles Superior Court became public knowledge.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
I just came across the tweet again, and this time I will remember to tell y'all about it:

Worth noting that this was originally set to be on that world famous OTT service blackpills (I'm still not making it up, it's a real OTT). Now blackpills is a mobile first OTT (and as we know with go90 and Studio+ that's the most successful type of OTT, rooting for u Meg) and Deadline notes that:
blackpills had an option to put it on their platform but instead producers brought it to Netflix, which bought the series fully produced and there will be no editing on it.

here have a trailer (NSFW language, but it doesn't have nudity in it, sorry 2 disappoint RatskyWatsky )

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Listen, maybe the internet has broken my brain, but I'm not watching any streaming/cable content if it doesn't have hardcore nudity in every episode.

I did actually watch Netflix for the first time in months. Binged The Fix, a comedy panel show. It's okay but a little stilted. These kind of shows live and die on the host banter, and filming them all back to back didn't give them much time to develop that. But the writing is decent and when it goes off the rails it's damn funny.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I just came across the tweet again, and this time I will remember to tell y'all about it:

Worth noting that this was originally set to be on that world famous OTT service blackpills (I'm still not making it up, it's a real OTT). Now blackpills is a mobile first OTT (and as we know with go90 and Studio+ that's the most successful type of OTT, rooting for u Meg) and Deadline notes that:

here have a trailer (NSFW language, but it doesn't have nudity in it, sorry 2 disappoint RatskyWatsky )

oh this could be good

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Huh, I thought that had beem confirmed already, like back when season 7 got announced. Maybe I'm just thinking about how season 7 wasn't a sure thing so it just seemed like it would be the finale when it did get renewed.

Hopefully they can finally get Moriarty back on the show. I know they were pretty famous and probably busy with other stuff, but their absence was definitely felt the last few seasons (including a prison breakout we never saw and communicating with Sherlock through a random third party character).

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Freeform Buys 'Scare Club' Drama From Matt Hastings
Freeform has bought drama Scare Club to develop as a potential special event series from Matt Hastings (Shadowhunters: The Mortal Instruments). Hastings will write the first two hours of the six-part series as part of Freeform's Halloween block and is attached to direct and executive produce the pilot and series.
I know they aren't doing this deliberately but...

'Luke Cage' Showrunner Cheo Hodari Coker Inks Overall Deal With Amazon
Two months plus a day after Netflix and Marvel pulled the plug on a widely expected third season of Luke Cage, creator Cheo Hodari Coker has found a new long-term home with Amazon Studios.

In a stealth and strategic move in the television talent wars, the House of Bezos has signed now ex-Cage showrunner Coker and his new Fighting 99th Entertainment shingle to an overall deal to develop and produce new series. The finances of the agreement were kept under lock, but the deal is for three years, I've learned.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watched the Deadly Class pilot. I'm not big into YA stuff at all, but found it pretty appealing. It's got a certain style to it that "Feels" both comic book and 80s. Good cast of characters (even if they are a bit tropey) and they somehow managed to service all of them pretty well in just one episode. Looking forward to seeing where it goes.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Thursday night's ratings. Looks like the series finale of Timeless did about as well as its original 2-season run. Murphy Brown ended on a low. It was the only show to air a new episode last night and that number is about on par with how it did for the season anyway:

Fast-Demo-2018-Dec-20.THU_.png

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
So what's going to happen to Black Lightning is a huge question in my mind. My impression is that he's a huge driving force on that show and it has such a unique voice. Seems likely that he will eventually be gone but will the show go with it?

The same thing happened with some of the other CW superhero shows last year though it might of been easier to keep those shows running since they're all filmed in Vancover and I'm sure they have a major production base there for the shows (and even with that I remember that a bunch of Supergirl episodes got delayed), I believe Black Lightning films somewhere else.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The same thing happened with some of the other CW superhero shows last year though it might of been easier to keep those shows running since they're all filmed in Vancover and I'm sure they have a major production base there for the shows (and even with that I remember that a bunch of Supergirl episodes got delayed), I believe Black Lightning films somewhere else.
They film in Georgia. BL is also unconnected to the other shows due to Akil's desires(for the best). I would hope it continues and they get another black showrunner with a strong voice to helm.

Status
Not open for further replies.