• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
1) When They See Us - Heartbreaking, agonizing, frustrating and so many more adjectives could be used to describe this miniseries. Brilliantly cast and sublimely directed by Anna DuVernay. If you haven't seen this miniseries, you're doing yourself a disservice and missing out on some of the greatest television that's ever been produced and a series that dives into the injustices the supposed criminal justice system has thrown and continues to throw at minorities. Harrowing exploration into just how much that fateful night in Central Park became a touchstone moment defining the lack of value placed on black and brown lives. Antron, Kevin, Yusef and Raymond's stories are all impactful and no less important but Korey's will shake you to your very core; what Jharrel Jerome pulled off here is one of the best acting performances of all time.

2) Chernobyl - HBO has a unique talent of capturing atmosphere in a bone chilling and spine tingling way which evokes a visceral fear that no other network can match and they didn't disappoint here with Chernobyl. Riveting look into one of the preeminent disasters our species has had to grapple with and the effects it's had in the consciousness of our species going on the better part of three decades now. The series does a wonderful job balancing the Soviet Union's cover-up and recklessness with the breadth of people it affected and the scope of the disaster in a larger narrative. Jared Harris, Stellan Skarsgard and Emily Watson seem born to play their roles and portray them in an almost scarily genuine manner. There are numerous scenes here that will take your breath away; from the irradiated pets being condemned to slaughter to seeing someone literally scorched to death by the open core of a nuclear reactor.

3) Unbelievable - The year of the miniseries continues with another breathtaking Netflix gem. For anyone who has ever been sexually assaulted and known the horror of not being taken seriously or told they aren't telling the truth, I can't imagine the pain a series like this dredges up. Based on the Pulitzer winning investigative article published for The Marshall Project, Unbelievable explores the serial rapist who assaulted multiple women in Colorado and Washington between 2008-2011. As much as you'll want to smash your head against a wall and be absolutely disgusted by the way Marie's case is handled by police, the work done here by Grace Rasmussen and Karen Duvall is unflinching, determined and ultimately successful. Toni Collette, Merritt Wever and Kaitlyn Dever put together a masterclass of emotionally draining and heroic performances that demand your attention.

4) Sex Education - This came across my feed on Netflix last January and boy am I ever glad I decided to check it out. Rarely has a show dealt with sexuality, acceptance and diversity in a coming of age scripted drama so effectively. And in such a humorous manner, even when trauma finds its way to the main characters and their lives. Most of the topics Sex Education touches upon and deals with have a lot of intersectionality between them and they're always dealt with in a thoughtful and intelligent way that doesn't stereotype or cheapen these experiences. The acting is spot on and Gillian Anderson is riotous good fun and steals each and everyone of her scenes but the cast as a whole just works. If you're looking for somebody to identify with here, young or old, straight or gay, binary or non-binary, black or white... you will find it.

5) Dark S2 - When writers and directors can put together a script involving multiple timelines, bounce between multiple futures, pasts and the present while juggling over a dozen important characters nearly flawlessly and keep their show's plot cohesive and intriguing, well... it's a masterclass in storytelling. Dark is one of the wildest mediums of entertainment you'll ever consume and the 2nd season continued to build on an already mindbending first season. This series is German so if you're somebody, for whatever reason, that steers away from subtitled entertainment do give this a chance. Don't watch it in the English dub. I'm ridiculously impressed with how good Dark tackles the existential nature of time travel and opines on the morality of the decisions its characters make. It's an intelligent show that requires your full attention. In addition to the solid writing and direction, the acting and cinematography here is some of the best on TV.

6) Stranger Things S3 - Perhaps my favorite season of Stranger Things yet. The show has a formula, which it sticks to, that could get tired and stale but to the show's credit it continues re-invent itself just enough every season to remain intriguing. The Russia plot got a little convoluted and wild this season but S3 found its strength in the interpersonal dynamics between its groups of characters more than anything else. The addition of the Scoops Troop (Steve, Dustin, Robin, Erica) provided a lot of levity and humor that counterbalanced the arcs of other character groups. The Eleven + Max relationship was handled really well too. Phenomenal production values from its set pieces to the CGI and its atmospheric soundtrack always delivers. Never expected that an episode of Stranger Things would pull on the heartstrings and have a big emotional impact but we get that in the season finale as well.

7) The Boys - Prime's best original series? I think so. This is my biggest and most welcome surprise of the year. I didn't know anything about the source material going in and wasn't even aware that the series was a Prime Original. Well boy, am I ever glad that a special someone recommended it to me and wanted to watch. The Boys manages to subvert the most harmful tropes of the Super Hero genre, especially as it relates to the perspective of its antiheroes. Its premise could easily devolve into a meandering and shallow plot but it's elevated into a multifaceted thread that takes the time to make sure each character has a meaningful part to play. Insanely impressed with the VFX which manages to appear film quality the majority of the time. They've set up a lot of interesting potential plots going forward and I can't wait to see them materialize. Also, Giancarlo Esposito in S2? Fuck yeah.

8) Mindhunter S2 - Mindhunter at #8? Not an indicator of its quality, just representative of how strong this year of Television has been. Still the preeminent and gold standard of crime thrillers on television, this season delved into the Atlanta child murders with David Fincher's usual unsettling flair. I found the character of Holden to be a little over dramatized this season and his focus a little too narrow compared to the source material and real life counterpart but it's really my only complaint here. Maybe would have liked to see a little more time dedicated to the Wayne Henley and Charles Manson (who was portrayed amazingly) plots but the narrative constraints here are understandable. Mindhunter is HBO quality programming on Netflix and has surpassed True Detective in the crime genre for me. Season 3 is going to be a long and tough wait with Fincher working on Mank at the moment.

9) Game of Thrones S8 - When GRRM calls out the fandom as toxic and denounces the nerd rage that plagued the final season of Game of Thrones, I have a hard time blaming him for the slow delivery of Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring. The final season was all over the place from a writing and narrative perspective and eschewed both for impressive set pieces and battles a little too often. It hit the mark just as much as it missed it while not being nearly as disastrous as the critics and fandom say but it also wasn't up to the standard the show had set either. Disappointing to see characters throw away their reasoning and motivations for whimsical poorly thought out spontaneity. Looking forward to the prequel series that's been green-lit and would one day love to see a sequel following season 8's events grace our screens. Drogon and Ghost will always be the goodest boys and Dany the one true queen.

10) The Expanse S4 - Originally picked up this series while season 3 was airing and instantly got hooked. Love the dynamics between the inner worlds, the belt and every other faction in the series, the conflicts between them are explored in such a unique and complicated manner compared to other science fiction shows set in space. This show has one of my favorite characters on television at the moment in Naomi Nagata; wish more shows could take a hint when it comes to writing multilayered strong female characters. I have never read the source material but from the indications I've gotten, the themes the next book covers already have me anticipating season 5. Have to give a shout out to David Strathairn here too. I never imagined that Klaes Ashford would become one of my favorite characters in the entire show; his character arc was one of the most rewarding journeys and
I'm going to miss seeing him on the show going forward

Honorable Mention:

Star Trek Discovery S2 -
Originally wasn't as high on this series but season 2 was a noticeable step up in every regard. This show looks gorgeous and goes into season 3 exploring uncharted territory for Star Trek. Looking forward to them developing their own cannon and stories now being in the 29th century and not beholden to anything at all. Anson Mount as Pike, Ethan Peck as Spock and Rebecca Romijn added some much needed heft and I'm hopeful that they get their own spin-off series to complement the Picard and Section 31 offerings.

Fails of the Year:

The Mandalorian -
For what was supposed to be Disney +'s killer app when it came to their bare bones library of new original programming, the show is a major let down. Poor acting, horrible writing and an unimaginative shallow plot that completely lacks any substance whatsoever. There isn't really anything positive to say about this offering other than the fact that its production values are decent and the show looks great most of the time.

Last edited:

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
It has been a momentous year for pop culture this year, and it was no different on the small screen. Many great (or at least well known) tv shows ended this year and many more of them will end in the next. I lost a lot of shows to cancellation this season and many of them will be honored in this list.

This was an extremely difficult list to make. There's so many shows I want to highlight, but I can only choose 10. Such is the cruelty of RatskyWatsky. Let's get started.

1. Doom Patrol

giphy.gif

Legends was still pretty good, but cast chemistry issues bogged it down. Thankfully for me, there was a show that matched my needs perfectly. The entire season was basically a bunch of misfits going through an acid trip of plot. Yet it was some damn good acid trip. The characters all meshed well with each other (and that includes Cyborg, which I thought was impossible). All will trying to take on by far the best villain of 2019, the seemingly unstoppable maniac Mr. Nobody. Trust me when I say that you won't believe what these dorks went through, all the wacky characters and places they encountered and what sort of craziness they had to pull to succeed. All in all, it made Season 3 of Legends look like a regular stroll. There's just so much to analyze the show that would make you appreciate it even more.

2. One Day at a Time

tumblr_pm46d1oN1N1qhc9d1o1_250.gifv

Forgive me for not putting in the best comedy Netflix had on its disposal. A couple episodes alone were nothing but non-stop laughs and are in contention for the best sitcom episodes of all time. It helps that the show has such an enigmatic cast of characters from the caring yet fierce Penelope to the feisty octogenarian Lydia and Elena, the lesbian Jesus herself. And of course, the show wouldn't be complete without harsh moments that would make you bawl your eyes out. It's a rare treat of a comedy (even with a laugh track) and we can all give thanks to Pop TV for giving it another chance.

3. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend

tumblr_ppjg10PdNc1qg0u4go2_500.gif

One of many on the list to meet its demise this year, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend continued to wow us with spectacular music sequences while delivering informative tidbits (who knew women had different symptoms for heart attacks?) This is what I loved about the show. For all of its zaniness from Rebecca's head, it remained one of the realest shows in television. It's loss will be sorely felt on the CW. Thanks for completing the story you absolute madmen.
4. Primal

GrouchyAmusedLark-max-1mb.gif

Tartakovsky continues to make Sony regret not greenlighting that Popeye movie by releasing a new show for Adult Swim. It's a simple concept, a primitive human living in a world with dinosaurs and ice age creatures, that turns into a wordless masterpiece. Samurai Jack already had large swaths of episodes with no dialogue, but Primal takes it further with none whatsoever... and makes it work. Emotions from all creatures alike are conveyed wonderfully through song and facial expressions. The fights are as brutal as the world that is created and it is definitely not for the faint of heart, but it is worth it. Oh and did I mention it has the best animated work of the year? There were some parts where I've never seen 2D animation work as smoothly as it did for that show.
5. Fosse/Verdon

source.gif

The only miniseries on this list, the story of the two greatest dancers of their time were an interesting tale that I wanted to check out. It did not disappoint in the slightest. Michelle Williams put on a clinic with her performance, but the entire class deserves credit with what they did to the story. May you get the recognition you deserve in the Emmys.
6. Amazing World of Gumball

tenor.gif

Gumball has been overlooked compared to its other CN brethren. While Adventure Time, Regular Show and Steven Universe got all of the accolades, this show continued to truck along with more subdued applause. I say it wasn't nearly enough. Just the very concept of the show, a conglomerate of different animation styles within one show, was ambitious. Even more impressive was just how consistent the show kept on being funny. It could make you cry, tackle certain issues of society or just kill you with laughter. And there was no topic they wouldn't cross. For pete's sake they made an episode on their Chinese imitators. Not to mention they made some of their best episodes this year. Rick and Morty may be best known for their parodies, but they haven't topped this year's DnD episode of Gumball. Here's to getting that movie of yours to wrap things up.
7. Jane the Virgin

tumblr_px0hmuNBWc1xeef9ao3_540.gif

Jane was sadly overshadowed by its sister show ever since it debut, and while the final season wasn't as solid in that instance, it was still a solid end to the greatest love triangle on television. I know some people were not happy with the outcome, but that was bound to disappoint someone. Yet the show always us root for Team Jane and her bond with her mother and abuela. That was the core strength of the show and it was maintain up to the end. It may not have gotten a spinoff, but it managed a satisfying ending.
8. Black Lightning

tumblr_pom9vaHlrt1wnwt0go4_540.gif

One would expect a CW show to falter after some some time despite a strong start. Black Lightning apparently didn't get the memo. The show continued to do what it does best; delivering great character work from all factions while treating them like people with actual critical thinking. There's a reason people think Tobias could outsmart anyone from team Flash. The effects aren't as flashy, but are more than enough to convey the story.
9. The Tick

giphy.gif

The Tick was already a contender for the list last year, and their second season proved to continue that trend. Going into the intricacies of superheroics while on the job with an unabashed idealist at your side proved to be a winning formula. Sadly, the series got canceled along with a number of other shows.
10. Cloak and Dagger

tumblr_psfhemQUJf1y57gmqo3_540.gif

The show had a strong debut with the help of the chemistry between the two leads. That continued in the second season of course, but they received additional support from new players in the plot. It was fun seeing them all grow into their roles as the plot progressed, including some harrowing sequences. I'm glad they took risks with the show and it paid off with better reviews. Another show that got cancelled, so cheers for the recognition.

Honorable mentions include The Good Place, (which would almost definitely make the list next year if they land the finale), Superstore for being the best 'new' show I'm following, Supergirl for having it's best season yet and AEW for delivering a strong start to the wrestling business.

The Game of Thrones Awards for Fail of the Year (not listed because it's a foregone conclusion at this point. But I enjoyed the laughs from the threads)
1. WWE

c2ab5f28faae62ff-600x338.gif

Initially, I thought that the problem with the series was sorely in the hands of Raw. It appears I have been too soft on this franchise, so I'll have to be more harsh on you by ostracizing this entire business. Horrible PPVs, terrible feuds and arcs, characters that can't get over because the fans no longer give a shit and the few things that you did manage to do well gets buried because you wouldn't know a hit if it smacked you in the face. Your Hell in a Cell was the worst PPV I've ever seen and I've been following you since 2000 (how the hell do you do a no contest in a Hell in a Cell match). Then you had to outdo yourselves by doing a cuckolding angle with the resident black guy at the expense of lovable heel Rusev. And all of this is compounded by your continued lack of regard to your own 'superstars'. Just look to that incident in Saudi Arabia where you left a good number of your roster to dry for unpaid money. Oh and continuing to host events there despite what's happening there is disgraceful. I really hope AEW sets you straight in this new year if not put you out of business. You deserve it.

2. Fear the Walking Dead

DapperMasculineBunting-size_restricted.gif

Look, I'm not going to pretend to be unbiased being a fan of Alycia's performance Lexa in The 100, but I genuinely hoped that the show could do her justice. And for a time, they did. She was consistently stated to be the best part of the show, even as it continued to turn to shit. Yet not even she could escape the mediocrity, especially with this season. I mean... painting fences? Relegating leadership to Morgan of all people? And judging by the previews for the next season, the producers seek to ignore the complains the fans threw at time Enjoy your sagging ratings.

3. The Neighborhood

giphy.gif

Obligatory addition to the worst comedy that got renewed in the worst freshmen season of TV in a long time.

And if sporting events were allowed, I would have added this year's Super Bowl as well. The first one I missed and years and didn't regret it at all. A boring game topped with a terrible Halftime Show, bland commercials and lackluster lip service to Spongebob. Nobody won (besides the Patriots of course).

Last edited:

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
1. The Good Place - It's just so heartfelt and charming and imaginative and the world will become the Bad Place next month when it's over.
2. Marvel's Agents of SHIELD - Still the best comic book show on TV.
3. Star Trek: Discovery - I dunno, I just like it? I'm not great at summarizing my thoughts and feelings on everything. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
4. The Boys - A welcome fresh take on superhero shows.
5. Supernatural - Nice good consistent quality.
6. The Magicians - I missed Eliot so much.
7. The 100 - The new setting breathed some new life into the show. Either my second or third favorite season.
8. The Expanse - Still very engaging, but the Bobby/belter/Avisarala plots all felt more like setup for next season, so in hindsight that kinda brings down my opinion of it all.
9. The Umbrella Academy - Really good but I wish I had known it was ending on that kind of cliffhanger so I could've waited to watch it until Season 2, lol.
10. Santa Clarita Diet - God I'm so mad at Netflix.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
RatskyWatsky you should have a "2019's 2018 show of the year" category because everyone always has shows they are catching up on...

...and I just want an excuse to list Sharp Objects :(

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I thought it was kind of a nifty idea.

I stumbled across the Marianne one by chance and thought "Well, love that image so I'll use that on my list." but then it felt weird to have that be the only one so off I went for more. I was really surprised that I found one for Black Spot and Evil. Black Spot being a show I've never heard anyone talk about and Evil is new and on CBS which feels like a deterrent for fan art.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I forgot Santa Clarita was also this year fuck. Actually doesnt change anything, I don't think I can fit it in even tho I liked it quite a bit, same for Umbrella or Ozark.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
1. Watchmen: By far and away the best thing I've seen on TV all year. Probably a top 5 show of the decade imo
2. Mr. Robot: Esmail manages to stick the landing in an engrossing, introspective final season
3. Chernobyl
4. Barry
5. BoJack Horseman
6. Stranger Things
7. The Mandolorian

Last edited:

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
1. Mindhunter - Fincher and co doing what they do best with the slow burn serial killer investigation. Loved that they weaved in the racial climate and problems that would arise from white cops investigating those particular murders. Holt McAllany has so much charisma just playing an everyman.
2. Chernobyl - extremely foreboding
3. Watchmen - The most interesting thing to happen to superhero media in years. The original comic was beholden to the political narrative around the cold war. It was a deft move to make the sequel echo the present with the alt-right and police culture in particular. Also sad that I found out about the Tulsa Race Massacre from a fucking cape show.
4. Barry - Often hilarious but also surprisingly deft dramatic performance from Hader. It is a damn crime that the only big film role he's had in recent memory is freaking It 2.
5. When They See Us - Equal parts heartwrenching and frustrating. I just saw this recently so I had to edit the list to include it. The young actor who plays Korey Wise has to be the most emotionally captivating performance on TV in 2019. I hope this dude has a bright future.
6. Mr Robot - its best season since the first, the direction has been as ambitious as ever but hitting the mark more for me as well. Plus it got a lot more personal again, less focused on trying to throw twists at us and focusing more on the emotional turmoil of Elliot and Darlene
7. Warrior - best action series in a minute. Such a breath of fresh air seeing kung fu on screen again, excellent fights and the characters in here have so much god damn swag. Its like The Knick meets Gangs of New York meets Bruce Lee. I appreciated that the drama was very competently done too. A lot of the time these action shows just half ass it or have pretty bad acting. Netflix's Spike in Cowboy Bebop will never measure up to Ah Sahm who really channels that Lee swagger.
8. The Deuce - just an all around engrossing period piece. Really settles you into the gritty New York of the past. Gonna miss this show. Its the best David Simon has been since The Wire imo.

Last edited:

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
2019 was another incredibly strong year for TV. I am always surprised by how diverse the lists are for TV. If you have not seen one of the shows that I have on my list, I went ahead and threw in a YouTube link to the trailer at the end of each write up so you can see more about it.

Best of the Year

PqWqfQq.png

1. His Dark Materials; I never had any interest in this property, and only watched it because I saw that James McAvoy was in it as I was browsing HBO Go to watch Last Week Tonight. I gave it a shot and ended up getting completely sucked in. His Dark Materials is set in a fantastical world where everyone is linked with a spirit animal that can talk, witches, a race of intelligent bears, etc. And yet it all still feels very grounded. It is a whimsical adventure that sees the protagonist Lyra, played brilliantly by Dafne Keen, traveling to the north. It perfectly captures that sense of adventure that I have not felt since I started One Piece. The characters are constantly moving and every episode has a new location being explored. The quality of the CG is also top notch, with animals talking and fighting but never looking out of place. Link to trailer here.

2. The Umbrella Academy; I have always loved superhero goodness, but like a lot of people I have been itching for something different than what Marvel has been offering. The Umbrella Academy (and The Boys) have shown that there are other interesting stories to tell involving super powers. The characters, both protagonists and antagonists alike, are all incredibly inept, and it is fun to see them all fumble around trying to push their agenda forward. Link to trailer here.

3. Good Omens; I have enjoyed every Neil Gaiman book I ever read, although I never read Good Omens. Hearing that he was hands on for this show gave me great hope, especially seeing as how they were adapting the entire book in the single season. Good Omens does not disappoint, providing a wonderful story of friendship with angels, demons, and Armageddon as the backdrop. David Tennant and Michael Sheen completely carry this with their chemistry and charisma. Link to trailer here.

4. Castle Rock; The first season of Castle Rock was a giant mystery that kept you guessing throughout the entire series. The second season in this semi-anthology series is much more straight forward with its plot and easier to follow, even as their are some twists and turns throughout. Taking place in both the towns of Castle Rock and Jerusalem's Lot, season 2 does a great job of introducing and fleshing out its protagonists and making the world feel more fully realized. The "protagonists" are all much more interesting than those in the first season, although I felt the main threat was a little undercooked. If you are a fan of Steven King style supernatural spookiness then this is more of that. Link to trailer here.

5. To Old To Die Young; Did you ever watch the movie Drive, or any other Nicolas Winding Refn film, and think "I really enjoy the style but this is moving at way too fast a pace for me." If so, then Too Old To Die Young is going to be the perfect show for you. It is a hyper stylish, hyper violent show that moves at the slowest snail pace I have ever seen anything move at. You definitely need to be in the right mood to watch this and just let yourself melt into the experience. The average episode is about 90 minutes long so each episode is like its own movie. Miles Teller does a fantastic job with his character that says very little, and I also appreciated how much Spanish is used in the series. Like, the entire second episode is set in Mexico and is entirely in Spanish. Don't go in expecting an actual ending, it seems like they just ran out of money before they could finish the last episode. Just accept that you are along for a ride filled with beautiful visuals and an incredible soundtrack. Link to trailer here.

6. Seis Manos; Seeing la Raza represented in an anime brought me a ton of joy and was something I immediately knew I had to watch. I ended up watching the Spanish dub (because why the hell would I want to see people in Mexico speaking in English?) and thought it was fantastic. Some beautiful animation (this is from the Castlevania people) and some Santa Muerte supernatural goodness all come together to create a really spectacular ride that combines many different influences to create a tightly packed 7 episode series. There is an eighth episode that comes after it seems that everything was resolved that goes full anime bullshit in order to extend the series and starts introducing a lot of new shit from out of nowhere which puts a damper on an otherwise really awesome series. Link to English trailer here. Spanish trailer can be found here.

7. The Boys; The Boys feels like what Zach Snyder has repeatedly been trying to make with his shitty comic adaptations. A "what if superheroes were real and gritty and they were also assholes" story. The "heroes" are all incredibly charismatic and hammy pieces of shit that you love to root against, and it is nice to see a super hero property where the protagonists actually feel like underdogs. Link to trailer here.

8. Russian Doll; I have always enjoyed "stuck in a time loop" media, whether that be a book like "Help! I'm Trapped in the First Day of Summer School, or a video game like The Sexy Brutale, and Russian Doll is no exception. The main character gets some interesting deaths, and the plot actually moves at a solid pace despite constantly reseting the day. It is hard to say more without spoilers but suffice to say that it does a lot with its premise and has some excellent character development. Link to trailer here.

9. Preacher; Season 4 brought about the final season, and while I am bummed to see it go, I am happy that we at least got to see an actual proper ending and send off to this series. AMC was constantly skimping on the budget since the series first premiered and unfortunately this final season was no exception. It sucks because you could not have asked for a better cast and yet it was painfully apparent that they had very little money to play with. There were still a lot of laughs throughout and the script and performances carry the show through to a satisfying ending. If you have not watched the show before, feel free to binge through it now knowing you will get a complete story. Link to trailer here.

10. On My Block; The first season of On My Block completely blew me away. It was my favorite show last year. Season 2 was still really good, and in a lot of ways I think it had higher highs, but the tonal whiplash is starting to get to me. It feels like two separate, equally good shows. One is an over the top goofy comedy that has (magical?) gnomes, while the other is an LA gang drama. It is all coming of age goodness and there is plenty of stuff that falls in-between but the constantly shifting tone is a bit much and I want to see them do a better job at balancing it next season. Also they need to knock it off with the damn cliffhanger endings! Link to trailer here.

Fails of the Year

wisr4Dm.png

1. Marvel Television; The blatant "throw everything away so we can start fresh with Disney+" purge completely deflated any interest I had in watching any of the shows they are releasing. It bummed me out to the point where I still haven't watched the latest seasons of Punisher, Jessica Jones, Agents of Shield, Cloak and Dagger, or Runaways. And fuck them all the way to hell for not giving the green light to a Gabriel Luna led Ghost Rider series.

2. Apple TV+; Hey this looks like it might be a neat thing to check out. What's that? There is no Xbox app? Fuck you, no I don't want to buy another device for your streaming service. Like, seriously, how the fuck do you launch a streaming service at the ass end of 2019 and not make sure you are on all devices? I have a Roku in my bedroom but I ain't interested in moving it back and forth. Sort your shit out and do better Apple.

3. Game of Thrones; I don't even fucking watch Game of Thrones and yet I constantly heard about this collosal fuck up, both online and in real life!

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
f3QON4L.jpg

1. Warrior – Had a lot of fun with this show. The period of time, the cool fights, awesome music.
  2. Chernobyl – Excellent crafted show with incredible tension and horror on display.
  3. The Boys – Might be the biggest surprise of the year with such a well made superhero show. Homelander might be the most favourite character this year being absolutely menacing character played so well.
  4. The Good Place – Kind of started this show this year only a month ago and going through Season 1 to 4 has been really fun. I think this marks the fourth comedy show I've actually enjoyed enough to continue season to season. Kristen and Ted are a joy to watch.
  5. Primal – A very well animated show
  6. The Marvelous Mrs Maisel – It's still a really well made show even if I didn't quite enjoy the season as much as the first two due to various character directions which wasn't as entertaining to watch prior.
  7. Mindhunter – Really enjoyed the first season and I think the show for the most part continued to engage.
  8. The Dark Crystal – Quite a massive appreciation for the Puppetry involved.
  9. The Witcher – I had reservations about the show but I think it certainly exceeded them. Great fights, interesting stories and the cast for the most part were great. I think there's a few segments which weren't quite as well done and at times do feel a little cheap.
  10. Reprisal - I thought it was a show with excellent production, quite fun show to watch even with a few flaws.
Other shows I started watching this year that I quite enjoyed that didn't release this year have been The Wire which was a great show all around and very informative at the same time, the Newsroom as I love Sorkin's writing style even if the news focus doesn't quite engage me, The Americans which had some incredible acting which also had such a perfect ending as well, Downton abbey and Veronica Mars which kind of reminds me a bit of Riverdale in a way except in the latter, I despised every single character or relationship within while I quite liked the Mars dynamic.

Biggest fails this year would have to be
  1. Game of Thrones – I think the negativity everywhere speaks for itself.
  2. The Terror – I initially liked the show, I very much liked the new setting, Japanese horror theme but I would say it not only squandered the opportunities to explore such an interesting period of time but quality turned incredibly poor. Forget living up to the same level of quality of the first season, the show couldn't even stand on its own with just poor acting, poor editing, poor script though I did find Kiki's performance quite good under this mess
  3. I'm fitting every single other disappointing even if it doesn't count. Yellowstone absolutely did not get any better but worse which is an achievement in itself, I thought American Gods was fairly disappointing though it had some amazing scenes within the first, Season 2 was certainly much weaker show, feels directionless and now the best character isn't there anymore,I really did not enjoy Dragon Prince at all and I think it's a show that's not for me and I tried giving it opportunities too. I think the season started quite well but the last few weren't of interest. Swamp Thing Cancellation was sad, Disney+ was pretty much disappointing with the content, some of the older shows just poor resolutions, while I really enjoyed Mandalorian at the start, my interest completely dropped at episode 4.
I think there's a lot of other great shows out there I really enjoyed as well, The Crown which I'd say was better that second season and the actors all did wonderful, Mrs Wilson, When They see Us, Stranger Things S3, Gentleman Jack, Watchmen would have probably been the runnerup at 11th for me, Quite enjoying His Dark Materials at this time, Our Planet, She-ra is really good, True Detective which was quite a step up in quality from the Second Season. Harley Quinn in the few episodes thus far is also being a huge nice surprise as it's hilarious.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Need to see a bit more before I can vote but just to confirm the Deadwood Movie is eligible right? Cos that's got to be in my list

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
  1. Chernobyl - Easily my favorite show of the year
  2. Stranger Things - Their best season yet
  3. The Morning Show - Apple doesn't have much, but this was great

Fails of the year
  1. The dumpster fire of crap that is the CW lineup
  2. See
  3. Truth Be Told
  4. The Mandalorian

Raggie

Oct 16, 2018
1. What We Do In The Shadows
2. Good Omens
3. Chernobyl
4. The Crown
5. The Toys That Made Us
6. The Movies That Made Us
7. Unbelievable
8. Last Week Tonight With John Oliver
9. Russian Doll
10. The Mandalorian

Last edited:

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
1. Succession ; I haven't had this much fun watching a show that's full of assholes. Impeccable script, excellent acting, intriguing setup.
2. Top Boy ; Holy shit, I'm glad I discovered this gem. It manages to squeeze some amazing performances out of its cast, and it's highly emotional and captivating despite every single character being a despicable criminal.
3. Mr. Robot ; "407 Proxy Authentication Required", need I say more?
4. Chernobyl ; Immaculately crafted show in every sense of the word.
5. Mr. Inbetween ; discovered this gem quite late and thoroughly loved it. The main actor has some presence, that's for sure.
6. The Righteous Gemstones ; Ridiculously fun, McBride & co. are getting more and more assured.
7. Peaky Blinders ; Not as good as the previous seasons, but this stylish show still holds my attention.
8. The Boys ; Homelander is the best villain to be put in media in a long time, and the show's just plain fun to watch.
9. What We Do In The Shadows ; Hilarious, with some amazing gags.
10. Suburra: Blood on Rome ; I'm a sucker for Italian neo-noir crime dramas, and the second season was great.

Honorable mentions:

- Doom Patrol ; Slightly too ridiculous on many occasions, but very fun all the same.
- True Detective ; Almost a return to form, just too bad it didn't truly stick the landing (but the same can be said for the first season).
- Barry ; Didn't find it as good as the first season, but its flashes of brilliance truly punch in the upper weight class.
- Watchmen ; Way too uneven with a wet fart of an ending, but the highs were REALLY high. Too bad it couldn't contain the ambience of the early episodes before going hard into the fantastical and ridiculous, and it occasionally went too far up its own ass.

Last edited:

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
1. Doom Patrol ;
2. Watchmen ;
3. Mindhunter Season 2 ;
4. Counterpart Season 2 ;
5. The Boys ;
6. The Witcher ;
7. Stranger Things Season 3 ;
8. The Dark Crystal Age of Resistance ;
9. The Mandalorian ;

Last edited:

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Best of the Year:

1. Fleabag Season 2 - What can I say? It has already skyrocketed into being my favorite show of all time. The wit, the charm, the incredible use of the 4th wall as a measure of growth within the character of Fleabag herself. *Chef's Kiss* Every character is either immensely likeable or loathsome in just the perfect way (looking at you, Godmother), and there isn't an inch of fat in the show.

2. The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance - A wonderful return to the world of Thra that somehow surpassed the original thanks to smart storytelling, loveable characters, and amazing world-building that was only bolstered by the stunning sets and puppetry. I cannot believe how much I fell in love with this show.

2. The Mandalorian - A great introduction to the lesser-seen side of the galaxy which brought along Baby Yoda for the ride. Strong character work, campy charm, and the return of Saturday-morning, episodic storytelling. What more can I ask for?

Honorable Mention:

Game of Thrones: "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms" - I know this season of GoT (rightfully) gets a lot of shit, but I thought this episode was sublime and represents one of the highs of the show for me. So much character work is paid off here, and done in such a beautiful way that I wish Bryan Cogman had written the rest of the season. I still get teary-eyed when I watch it. This is the sendoff to the characters I needed. Chills!

Fail of the Year:

1. Stranger Things 3 - I fucking *hated* this. I was willing to forgive the second season for retreading the same ground as season 1 and stalling any growth in the story or characters because it felt like Netflix wasn't prepared for the success of the show and hadn't yet plotted the long-term future, but for 3 to continue to stagnate and cover the same, well-worn ground was unforgivable. Simply awful.

Venuslulu

Oct 28, 2017
1. For All Mankind; By the first episode, this period piece in an alternate reality set us up for a space program brimming with endless possibilities. Joel Kinnamen and cast are firing on all cylinders, and it shows.

2. Unbelievable; The most thorough drama on the psychology of rape. Knowing rape victims, and watching the show with them really made for an uncomfortable viewing, but also a contender for one of the best shows of the year.

3. Mandolorian; Writing was weak on some episodes, but it was solid Star Wars regardless, and that will always end up high on my list.

4. The Morning Show; The star studded cast actually delivered performances at that caliber, and with a more nuance take of the #MeToo movement than any other drama on TV. Matt Lauer is crying everyday I'm sure.

5. Looking for Alaska ; A teenage coming of age tv show on Hulu that hits all the right notes and adapted the novel pretty damn faithfully.

6. Rick and Morty ; The writing is honestly the strongest it has ever been, and idk how you can think otherwise. Writing isn't a story arc, but the complete visual storytelling. It hit hard, and I expect the show to stay that way in the second half.

7. You S2 ; Best schmuck on TV right now.

8. Barry ; I liked it a lot, and it's clever. It didn't like stick with me hard or anything so yeah.

9. Servant; Moody and atmospheric horror tv show with an actual budget. Finally.

10. The Boys ; Cringe inducing writing but wrapped in a fun show that examines our obsession with Supes.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
TV Show of the Year:

1. Mindhunter - I love this show. The mood, the characters, the dialogue - it's all incredibly engrossing and well done. Truly hope it gets to keep going. Don't hurt my heart Netflix.

2. Barry - A show I ignored for quite awhile, and boy was I wrong to. Hader knocks it out of the park, and the show manages to feel like a comedy but have more intensity than most dramas.

3. Mr. Robot - A beautiful send off to a great series. I think I liked the previous season more, but this one was still great.

4. True Detective - I skipped season 2 based on the negative reviews, but I jumped back in for season 3. I think I ultimately liked it more than the original season all told.

5. Unbelievable - Wow. Just really powerful all around. Gut wrenching story with phenomenal acting. Nothing negative to say here.

6. The Affair - This show makes me cringe so hard, and I never was a huge fan (the narrative conceit always annoyed me with the mixed perceptions sometimes seeming a bit too unbelievable). That said - I enjoyed this final season quite a lot. I know not everyone enjoyed the future stuff, but I thought it was a good conceit for wrapping up that narrative thread without dragging the original cast into it as much.

7. Russian Doll - What a fun, unique little show. I'm not convinced I want another season, but I loved the debut.

8. The Witcher - The show picks up over time, but the rocky start weighs this down some. I could see a second season really knocking it out of the park though.

9. Stranger Things - I know some people hate this show, but I've always thought it was a lot of fun. This was maybe my favorite season of the show so far - though the first may still win out.

10. You - Wow, this second season was pretty great. The last few episodes were just constant intensity. Also managed to avoid fumbling the ending.

Honorable Mentions:

Good Omens - I enjoyed the acting in this a lot, even if the plot was a little mixed at times.

Supernatural - Okay, okay. This one is purely due to my biased love for the series. I did really enjoy the back half of the season before this and the cliffhanger leading into the final season. So far the final season has been decent, and I'm hoping they nail the ending though that's a 2020 conversation.

The 100 - I enjoyed the latest season and how it changed things up, but there were some weird choices made that hold it back.

Big Mouth - Extremely funny, but not enough meat there to hang with the above.

Sex Education - Ditto

Killing Eve - I loved the season, but fucking hated the ending.

Veronica Mars - Ditto

Fail of the Year:

1. Game of Thrones - What a horrible way to send out the series. I enjoyed the show so much, even through the seasons others hated. This last season just was so rushed and abandoned all attempts at developing characters. Instead they would just do and say whatever was needed to move the plot where the showrunners wanted, regardless of if it felt earned or made sense.

2. Fear the Walking Dead - This show's latest season was one of the worst I've ever seen. Truly a dumpster fire. The only reason this doesn't win is because it didn't have the expectations and hype that GOT had.

Last edited:

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
30b88c93509c36fdf8fcdd2e06f0895a.png

1. Stranger Things - I had so much fun with this season, it was great from start to finish, and introduced one of my favorite new characters in Robin!
te_t.jpg

2. The Expanse - A great season overall despite the more limited setting. This show is always firing on all cylinders.
latest

3. She-Ra and the Princesses of Power - I adore this show and the latest season was the best yet. Bring on the (presumably) final season!
The_Mandalorian_logo.jpg

4. The Mandalorian - This show got off to a great start. Mando is cool, baby Yoda is an instant classic, and it has cool Star Wars action on a weekly basis...plus some dope teases for future seasons.
5. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Probably the weakest season in a few years, but the first and last of the old MCU shows remains great.
6. Watchmen - A show that should have been absolutely terrible and somehow ended up being incredibly exciting. Unfortunately, the somewhat muted ending takes it down a few places.
7. Rick and Morty - Only a few episodes aired this year, but almost all of them were great or even among the funniest of the series.
8. The 100 - This season was on the weaker side, but it was still good and features some interesting setups for the final season.
9. The Good Place - This show continues to be funny and heartwarming as it heads towards its final episodes, even if it isn't quite as good as the first two seasons.
10. Legends of Tomorrow - Always funny and enjoyable to watch even if its not breaking new narrative ground or anything.

Fail of the year
1. Game of Thrones - I mean, was there any doubt? Never have I seen a TV show with such high quality implode so spectacularly. An absolutely radioactive dumpster fire of writing and direction whose actors, set and costume designers, and composers deserved better. Rest in peace my queen. BEST SEASON EVAAAH!
2. Star Wars Resistance - It's not uncommon for animated Star Wars shows to take a few episodes to catch their footing. The Clone Wars and Rebels developed into incredible must-watch television. Unfortunately, Resistance never did, and never will before it ends in a few weeks. Kids' animated TV can do better.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
1. Succession - This show is as good as you've heard and you should do yourself a favor and watch it if you haven't.

2. Chernobyl

3. Watchmen - Was genuinely amazed by how good this turned out to be.

4. The Expanse - I'm so glad this show exists, and with an Amazon budget they really nailed the new season. Fantastic cast.

5. Fleabag - Is this show overhyped? Yes, but it doesn't mean it isn't good, it's great actually and really funny and well done.

6. Veep - Perfect ending to this perfect comedy series.

7. Santa Clarita Diet - One of, if not the best Netflix originals, and doesn't suffer from the usual Netflix symptoms of dragging and sucking, so they naturally cancelled it.

8. Mindhunter

9. Trapped - Icelandic TV show that is criminally underrated.

10. Russian Doll - While not exactly an original idea, it's done really well and it manages to be its own thing and yes, Natasha Lyonne makes it. So Netflix will probably cancel it next year.

Honorable mentions:
The Boys
Good Omens

Note: Still haven't finished His Dark Materials and The Morning Show.

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Show of the Year

1 - Unbelieavable - Fantastic showabout a horrible subject matter, with amazing performances by the three main actresses (by all the cast really), a more in depth look at police procedurals than usual, and just a gut wrenching compelling story all around. Easily my favorite show of the year.

2 - Patriot Act - The true successor of Jon Stewart in my opinion, Hasan Minhaj continues to tackle super interesting topics in both funny and informative ways.

3 - Watchmen - Awesome sequel to the graphic novel (which is an achievement in itself), fantastic cast, great visuals, great characters, I loved it. I'm fine if there is no more seasons.

4 - Mindhunter - One of my favorite shows last year came back with a strong second season, as the cast continues to be delightful to watch and I particularly liked how they left the question of they caught the right guy up in the air. I fear this won't come back for a third season with Fincher's hectic schedule tho.

5 - Sex Education - Biggest surprise of the year, this was a fantastic comedy tackling some usually touchy (no pun intended) topics in a super chill way. Great cast, great chemistry with the leads, bring on season 2.

6 - Stranger Things - A return to form after a somewhat lackluster second season (I didnt hate it like some), the gang is back together, the story is fun (if very silly), the visuals are better, the monster is great and its just a ton of fun overall. Curious to see where they go with S4.

7 - The Mandalorian - This show proved that, in my opinion, Star Wars works best when it's on a smaller scale. It's thin on plot but heavy on style, baby yoda is adorable, there are some great characters and the whole "space western" vibe just worked wonders for the show.

8 - Big Mouth - Weaker season than last year (Shame Wizard was hard to beat) but still a great show. Funny, raunchy, great writing, one of my favorites every year, it just lacked that something extra season 2 had.

9 - Brooklyn Nine Nine - I'm a B99 fanby so of course this is on the list, but this season was actually one of the strongest, as it continues to be hilarious and this year it tackled some nice issues like the episode with Terry being profiled by another cop, or Rosa coming out as Bi. Still great, and I'm delighted it's already renewed for 2 more seasons.

10 - Russian Doll - Nice surprise this one, a good dark comedy with a FANTASTIC lead and a bizarre story. Groundhog day style stories are a dime a dozen but this pulls it off nicely and I can't wait to see where they take season 2.

Honorable Mentions

Umbrella Academy, Rick & Morty, Santa Clarita Diet, Killing Eve.

Fail of the Year

1 - Game of thrones Season 8 duh, it was terrible.
2 - The streaming wars are getting ridiculous, Netflix, HBO, Disney +, Amazon Prime, Hulu, how many fucking streaming services are we going to have?
3 - Netflix canceling Santa Clarita Diet what the actual fuck?

Last edited:

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
TOP TEN SHOWS OF 2019

1. Watchmen

Like Twin Peaks and Game of Thrones before it, this was appointment television for me, something I couldn't just wait until the next day to catch up on. A brilliant follow-up to Alan Moore's original graphic novel, perfectly calibrated to telling a story about Watchmen in 2019 and addressing the pervasive evils of racism, white supremacy, and generational trauma in a frank and innovative manner. Some episodes are better than others (the Nostalgia trip through Will Reeves' memories in episode 6 is a clear standout) but the writing, direction, cinematography, production design, and especially performances across the board are outstanding. Both new and old characters are handled so so well, from Regina King's Angela to Tim Blake Nelson's Looking to Jean Smart's Laurie to particularly Jeremy Irons' Veidt. These nine episodes were utterly fascinating to watch, and had my eyes glued to the screen for every moment of the season. Also the music just fucking rocks. My favorite TV show of the year.

2. Fleabag
I was lttp on this show as I only just started watching it last month. Season 1 started out solidly and elevated to greatness by the end, but this year's Season 2 hit the ground running and transcended its own past highs almost immediately. Phoebe Waller-Bridge's performing and writing double-duty is sensational, sharp, intensely likable even when she's not being particularly likable, and just funny as hell. Also, just utterly moving at times. The dynamic between her and Andrew Scott's Priest is some of the best two-hander material you'll see on a screen anywhere this year. Totally captivating. Even if you're jaded about will they or won't they sitcom pairings, this show will absolutely make you root for it here. Incredibly impressive.

3. Mindhunter
Like Watchmen, this is another show where I'm just immediately absorbed into the story, the world and atmosphere on screen, the characters and all their particular quirks and foibles and flaws and personalities. While Tench may be the standout individual character, the whole thing works as a really compelling tapestry that simultaneously tackles (successfully) a lot of weighty ideas: from systemic, institutional racism and the blindspots of even well-meaning white people to that racism; to the psychology of killers; to the personal and emotional pressures that this kind of work forces onto the ones carrying it out; to the utter brutality and ugliness of children being murdered by the dozens and a system too inept or negligent to do anything about it. Also, like Watchmen, this isn't just a fascinating story but a major accomplishment of filmmaking craft. Mindhunter is the Zodiac tv series I never knew I wanted, and I can only hope Fincher is able to eventually execute his full five-year vision for it.

4. Barry
The ronny/lily episode is one of the most impressive directing achievements all year, but the show as a whole remains a major success and continues to perfectly straddle this line between dark drama and goofy humor without leaning too far in one direction, or undermining one tone with the other. I don't know how Hader has pulled this off so well, and it's a real testament to his ability as a performer that I can continue to buy him in this role and never once see or hear, say, Stefon. The supporting cast of Sarah Goldberg, Henry Winkler, and Stephen Root are also stellar.

5. Chernobyl
A haunting piece of filmmaking. Cinematography, sound design, production design, just the authenticity of the whole thing impresses. Someone here once said this miniseries is basically just 5 hours of exposition, which it is, and it's a credit to the writers and directors and actors that this thing is as absorbing and affecting as it is both in spite of and because of thaat. A great cast of character actors who are elevated by some really sensational filmmaking, and vice versa. Those shots of the radiation burn victims essentially melting in their hospital beds is some unforgettable shit.

6. Big Little Lies
I don't know what the consensus on this season was compared to the last one, but I liked this way more. S1 started out feeling like a trashy guilty pleasure, and only by its last couple episodes did it feel like a genuinely compelling drama to me. I was onboard with Season 2 from the jump and, for the most part, thought the writers did a really strong job exploring the lingering psychological aftermath that something like committing a murder can have on a person and her group of friends. Nicole Kidman continues to impress and watching her go toe-to-toe with Meryl Streep, who is flexing her acting muscles here in a way I haven't seen from her in a long time, makes for one of the most engaging character dynamics of the year. It's also just a treat to watch Laura Dern go apeshit on people every episode.

7. Russian Doll
Sweet birthday baby! Where the hell did this show come from? Natasha Lyonne was my favorite part of Orange is the New Black, so I was glad to see her head up a show of her own and she absolutely kills it here. The Groundhog Day premise is instantly interesting, and the way the time loops layer on top of each other make for a complicated but compelling puzzle to figure out. Thank god for the 30 minute runtime too; it never once feels like it's padding things out to hit an arbitrary 60 minute length like so many other shows today. On the contrary I probably would not have binged through this as quickly as I did if it was any longer. Looking forward to season 2, whenever that is.

8. Saturday Night Live
I don't normally list SNL for these things but why not? Like very few other shows, it's something I make a point of watching every week (when it's on), live. It's appointment television for me. I generally like the cast, I usually find it pretty funny, and even when it's not firing on all cylinders it's still enjoyable to have on in the background at least. It's consistently one of my favorite things to watch week after week, so it's going on here.

9. Game of Thrones
I thought I was going to be the only one not listing this as fail of the year, but I see one other poor soul is on the "I thought it was ok" bandwagon too lol. Yeah, seriously, I thought it was just fine? I agree that it was rushed, I agree that the choice of who sits on the Iron Throne at the end was, uh, odd, and I agree that The Long Night was simply too dark at times. All the same, I found a lot of the hyperbole around this season (e.g. "They DESTROYED all the characters" "Every arc was RUINED" "NOTHING made ANY sense" etc.) fairly insane. It's far from my favorite season but it had a lot of great moments, I was mostly onboard with a lot of the major story choices including Dany's turn, and I was overall pretty satisfied with the ending too. It could've been better but I liked it for what it is. Now bring on House of the Dragon!

10. True Detective
After the absolutely dire second season, season 3 renewed my interest in both True Detective and Nic Pizzolato. While it doesn't reach the heights of S1, the writing itself might be just as strong if not stronger. Season 3 is a subversive, self-reflective, and surprisingly tender-hearted take on the "hard-nosed cops chase a killer" story, with both an ending and a dynamic between Mahershala Ali and Stephen Dorff that upend a lot of the usual tropes that go with this sort of thing. I was not expecting to be moved by old-man Dorff lamenting not having his friend to talk to for whatever dumb bullshit reasons for so many years; it's the kind of emotion I was not expecting from Pizzolato at all, but it really worked for me. Speaking of whom, Dorff is really fantastic in this series and his is imo one of the standout performances of the year. I remember liking the guy back in Somewhere and it was great to see him finally get an opportunity like this to really shine. I am pleasantly surprised by how this turned out. I am definitely in for a season 4.

Honorable Mentions: Stranger Things 3, Killing Eve, The Deuce, The Imagineering Story

Still need to see: The Crown, GLOW

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
1. True Detective - a wonderfully told story that made memory the mystery
2. Mr. Robot - the entire final season contained peaks in formal innovation, paired with a beautiful conclusion to the story
3. Perpetual Grace, LTD - Special boys!
4. Chernobyl - Perfectly cast, perfectly presented with patient intensity
5. Documentary Now! - I continue to love the format, and the episodes and guests this season were some of the best of the series
6. I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson - very weird and very funny
7. Saturday Night Live - I will always love it

Last edited:

radosiewka

Oct 29, 2017
Warsaw, Poland
1. Chernobyl
61823347_10157640876233933_6528424408170627072_n.jpg

For me, it's the best show that I've watched this year - greatly produced, one of the best set designs, costumes, montage and photos I've ever seen. The story itself is scary and alluring at the same time (it may also resonate more in the viewers like me, as living in Poland is not so far away from the place of those events). That is how everyone should do a miniseries and HBO and BBC know how to do it. There is a reason why so many people put it in their first place in their top shows of the year.

2. Watchmen
72945355_10158078079423933_1683072871552778240_n.png

It's the last show that I've watched in 2019 (and kind of started watching it because of good reviews). At first, I had no idea what was happening and it was hard for me to follow the plot and be more involved in the story, so I've decided to watch the Watchmen movie again and it was a great idea (if you want to watch the tv show and never read comic books or watch a movie - do at least one of those before watching the TV Show). Acting is great and the history envelopes slowly - two first episodes are more of a prologue than the main course. Thinking about it, it's more about prejudice and racism than superheroes themselves and that is where the show shines the most.

3. Counterpart
Counterpart-The-Crossing-Recap-1.png

I am absolutely devasted that this show did not get enough appraisal as it should and got canceled. It's a science fiction thriller with only a little bit of SF and a lot more of espionage and mystery. Set in Berlin, action follows the story of Howard Silk has been working for a Berlin-based United Nations agency, Office of Interchange. For almost 30 years he just does his job without knowing the whole picture. Everything changes when he meets his counterpart - a version of him from a parallel Earth (the "Prime world"), a copy of Silk's world. I won't spoil anything, because finding out what are the differences between worlds, how they are connected and how it all started are the best parts of the shows. And it all plays out in Berlin, Germany so we finally get something other than the US or UK. And J.K. Simmons as Howard and his second version and just as important (or ever more for the plot) Olivia Williams as his wife (at least on this side) are great at showing conflicted emotions that are tearing up characters and who are faced with tough decisions and not enough knowledge. A must-watch for everyone.

4. Mindhunter
small_88291808.jpg

I admit, that I like watching a good thriller or crime movie but never actually liked the true crime genre and Mindhunter (even though it includes great cast with my favorite Anna Torv and produced by David Fincher and Charlize Theron) seems a lot like true crime and not enough drama. But after watching some episodes of the first season - oh boy, it's great that I've started binge-watching it after already 2 seasons were available on Netflix. Interviews with famous murderers are the best part of the show and they are not boring at all! In season two creators put a little more action into the show and gave our characters more investigation work, which shifted the dynamic of the show (I'm not sure that for the best as I like the first season a little bit more than the second). Holden, Bill and Wendy get more personal stories in the second season, though they could be written better - at the last episodes Wendy mysteriously gets less air time and goes to the background and Holden's mental problems are kind of disappearing (maybe they will come back in the next season)?

5. The Witcher
80058784_2283013681800676_6578354330699563008_o.jpg

I've waited for this show for a long time and it is a good show, sometimes even great (fighting in the first episode, funny banters between Geralt and Jaskier, queen Calanthe and her sarcasm etc.). It's a set up for a bigger story and as such it does it. Probably if I wasn't from Poland (where everyone treats the book series and videogames as a national treasure) I would enjoy it more - because books have so much more depth in them and some of the short stories were stripped out of the most important dialogues in the show. And you know what? There were things that underbudgeted Polish crappy 2002 TV show got better. I guess it's mostly because of an inexperience of the staff that created Netflix's version - there weren't enough experimenting with the shots and everything was done in a "safely" manner. Bagiński said in one of the interviews that they are aware of that and learned a lot while filming it (and they are listening to the fans) so the second season may be better than the first one.

6. The Expanse
The-Expanse-Cast-Logo.jpg

I've watched the new Star Wars movie yesterday and just though that damn it, there are so many things that the Expanse does better and maybe they should learn something from the Amazon TV show. Based on a series of books, it's a hard science fiction at it finest - complex characters, fractions, space and science - it's all there! The first season after Amazon saved it from canceling is as good as earlier ones and is a must-watch for every SF fan.

7. Legends of Tomorrow
Legends-Of-Tomorrow-feature.jpg

I am a huge superheroes fan and watched almost all of the shows that CW produced about them. But after some time, I've stopped watching most of them and now - only Legends of Tomorrow and Supergirl (I have to catch it up though) left. Legends of Tomorrow after a rather mediocre first season found it's unique style and just got funnier. Creators are not afraid to make fun of history, popculture and Sara as the leader is absolutely great (and her sidestory with a little bit uptight special agent working with the Time Bureau Ava Sharpe is one of the best parts of the show). The finale of the show left it all so opened that I can't wait to see the 5th season.

8. Killing Eve
killing-eve-big.jpg

The second season was a downfall comparing to the first one but stellar cast and witty writing are doing their job. There is this thing about British shows like Killing Eve and Bodyguard - you just start watching it and finally feel that it is something completely different and fresh.

9. Lucifer
Lucifer-990x474.jpg

I've watched all seasons this year and I can see why this is such a successful show – great guilty pleasure with a charismatic main character and adding Eve was a great idea!

10. Years and years
rokzarokiem-czolo.jpg

At first, I did not like this show but the more episodes I've watched the more I saw why people like this one. It's a scary vision of the future but unfortunately possible.

Last edited:

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
1. Counterpart ; A really great second season that improves on pretty much everything, and manages to tie up loose ends pretty decently. J. K. Simmons once again steals the show with incredible acting.

2. Chernobyl ; This maybe plays a bit too fast and loose with actual history, but it's mostly in the service of creating a really thrilling story. The final courtroom scene in particular was probably the best scene in any show I've seen this year, as it actually delivered a pretty good and simple explanation of just how and why the Chernobyl explosion happened.

3. What We Do in the Shadows ; The funniest show I've seen this year, and a really good follow up to the movie.

4. The Expanse ; The best sci-fi show on television right now, by a pretty significant margin. I felt like this season didn't quite live up to my expectations, but even a bad season of the Expanse is still better than most other shows.

5. The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance ; In a time where fantasy TV seems to mean "super grimdark edgy stories filled with tons of blood and sex", it's so nice to see something that actually feels fantastical. Plus in terms of the production, this is just a work of pure art, with incredible set designs, masterful practical effects, and great puppetry.

6. Our Planet ; Unfortunately, this is a gigantic step back in terms of writing compared to Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II. But it remains an absolute visual spectacle throughout.

7. Star Trek Discovery ; A massive improvement on the first season, which means Discovery is now actually decent instead of just pretty terrible. And as a big sci-fi fan, I'll take that.

8. The Mandalorian ; This was an okay enough action show I guess, and baby Yoda is pretty cute. Plus, it's not absolutley terrible, which already puts it into like, the top half of all Star Wars media.

Zousi

Oct 31, 2017
1. Mr. Robot
2. Chernobyl
3. Doom Patrol
4. Watchmen
5. The Deuce
6. The Boys
7. Good Omens
8. When They See Us
9. The Expanse
10. True Detective

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
We only have a little over a month left! Get your votes in people!

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
1. Succession
2. Barry
3. Chernobyl
4. Watchmen
5. The Boys
6. The Mandalorian
7. Fleabag
8. The Righteous Gemstones
9. The Other Two
10. Russian Doll

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. Succession
2. The Good Place
3. Stranger Things
4. The Righteous Gemstones
5. The Mandalorian

Have seen Witcher, new Expanse, or Watchmen yet.

Fail of the Year:
1. Game of Thrones - jesus christ
2. Apple TV+

Oct 29, 2017
1. When they See Us ; The hardest story to tackle, the one where a mistake means the biggest fuck up, and thus the biggest success when it works perfectly.
2. Chernobyl ; Another historical piece, but this one with more freedom to play with its tone. Shifting to legitimate horror, thrilling suspense, sharp political commentary, but also a surprisingly educative series. I walked out of this show knowing how the god damn reactor failed and you can quiz me on that.
3. Russian Doll ; The surprise of the year for me. I would say this felt like a movie, equally because there is no pause between episodes, and because I couldn't stop watching once it started and it was over before I noticed.
4. Mindhunter ; One of the best shows of the decade, in its second season it maintains the same quality.
5. Watchmen; The other surprise of the year. Who would have thought you can make a sequel to a comic book on a different medium, on a different decade, and by a different author and still feel like the one logical evolution to the themes of its predecessor.
6. The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance ; probably the best prequel in recent memory; one that proudly expands its source material in every way, and frankly, surpasses it.
7. Glow ; A show that loves its characters, whether they are big roles or small roles. you don't feel there are any small characters, only big characters that receive less time in front of the camera.
8. The Boys ; The Dark gritty, and edgy show of the bunch. One that manages to keep you on the edge of your seat instead of cringing, which is the victory every edgy media should strive for.
9. Dark ; I don't know for how much longer this show will be able to keep it up, since it is starting to run our of time travel twists, but season 2 still managed to deliver a very good watch for fans of mystery.
10. Steven Universe ; We basically got a series finally last year, and it was excellent. Would be a perfect send off even with the new season now airing.

Seems like a need to watch Succession and Barry.

Last edited:

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I don't got many, but here is my list as It currently stands
  1. The Expanse; Season 3 was amazing, and it followed that up with Season 4 in December to perfectly setup the upcoming seasons
  2. The Witcher
  3. The Mandalorian
  4. Chernobyl

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Bearing in mind that I only pay for my TV license (BBC) and occasionally buy the odd TV series on iTunes, my list isn't reflective of somebody who watches any streaming services:

1. Deadwood: The Movie — a dream end to one of my favourite TV series of all time.
  2. What We Do in the Shadows — the 'Vampire Council' episode is just, *chef kiss*
  3. Looking For Alaska — an excellent adaptation of the John Green book.
  4. Kidding — Jim Carrey is superb at playing two different characters.
  5. Barry — that 'ronny/lilly' episode is perhaps the greatest thing I had seen on TV last year.
  6. Chernobyl — balances drama with the real life event really well; some harrowing scenes too.
  7. The Good Place — my favourite 'happy show' of the last decade.
  8. The Righteous Gemstones — it's not quite as good as 'Vice Principals', but funny nethertheless!

Yeah, that's all I have watched last year.

I bought the first season of 'Succession' on iTunes after all the praise, although I have yet to get around to watching it, and I umm'ed and ahh'ed over buying 'Watchmen', but I am no hurry to see it.

Fail of the Year:

• Legion — the third and final season was a bloody awful mess. It becoming increasingly clear to me that the first season was a one-hit wonder and, unfortunately, both the second and third season proves it to be true...
  • Luther — the fifth and final series was not great, and the ending was just not good either. They should have focussed on one person to chase after, not three. The gang boss side story (George Cornelius) was also completely unnecessary, and bogged the last two episodes down.

Oct 27, 2017
1. Kim's Convenience ; My favorite TV show. Manages to be poignant and funny all at once.
2. The Mandalorian ; One of the best things to happen to Star Wars. Cannot wait to see where the show goes from here.
3. Watchmen ; Incredible writing and performances. A fantastic follow-up to the graphic novel.
4. Chernobyl ; Terrifying and fascinating drama about the real world disaster.
5. You ; I was hooked on every twist and turn.
6. The Boys ; A violent and hilarious takedown of the superhero genre.
7. Fresh Off the Boat ; Randall Park is the best.
8. Brooklyn Nine-Nine ; One of the most consistently funny shows on TV.
9. Superstore ; This past season in particular has felt really relevant.
10. Agents of Shield ; Being finally free of the shackles of the MCU has allowed the show to soar.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Fail of the Year:
  • Legion — the third and final season was a bloody awful mess. It becoming increasingly clear to me that the first season was a one-hit wonder and, unfortunately, both the second and third season proves it to be true...
I hated the second season so much I didn't even bother with season 3 but if you loved season 1, I'd highly, highly recommend you find a way to watch Doom Patrol. It has all the weirdness of Legion but great characters and a great story behind it.

I'll write up my list in a week or two but I need to finish Titans S2 first, as it comes out on Netflix in a few days. I've heard bad things about it but I loved the first season, so I want to give it a chance. I'm also halfway through The Mandalorian but eh, if it didn't have a decent CG budget behind it and the Star Wars license, it'd just be your standard Netflix show. Decent enough that you can sit down, turn your brain off and watch it but that's about it.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
1-Doom Patrol
Danny the Street and Flex Mentalo. The best villain in a long time.
Absolute crazyness. Absolute love.
2-Watchmen
Everyone alreayd said it better than me =P
3-Agents of SHIELD
Not the best season the series ever had but it was an awesome season of space opra and alien zombies.
4-His Dark Matterials
Awesome adventure with huge budget (the first episodes feel like rushed since every episode has a completely new setting xD) and a world with cool rules (even if the tv show does not follow it as much as i like it) and a perfect cast.
5-Good Omens
I could watch those 2 idiots forever.
Best tv couple of 2019
6-Dark Crystal Age of Resistence
While it didn't grabbed as much as I hoped (i had HUGE expectations) it was still the most beautiful thing to appear on tv in a LONG TIME
7-The Boys
It is a miracle how they took that shit comic and adapted into this. It has it's problems but damn if they didn't found something cool in that. And that superman like dude is scary as fuck
8-Amazing World of Gumball
One of those tv shows that should have lasted forever since they can tackle anything and still be awesome. For someone who loves the craft of animation is a treat on itself.
9- The Mandalorian
They knew what it wanted to be and did it spetacularly. Best TV Show in the "person is shoot in the back when it is aiming to shoot a main character" genre
10-Gotham
I absolutely love how the show is both the most faithfull batman adaptation and the less faithfull. And the cast always have a blast.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. Doom Patrol ; The best thing I've seen on TV in a long
2. What We Do In The Shadows ; They managed to make a show even funnier than the film. Watched the season a second time immediately after finishing because I loved it so much.
3. Watchmen ; I still can't get over how good the show, a sequel to a comic book, ended up being.
4. The Good Place ; Such a positive, goofy and smart show. It's losing some steam as it reaches its conclusion but the show manages to still bring a smile to my face every time.
5. The Mandalorian ; Baby. Yoda.
6. The Witcher ; The show is just a vehicle for getting 'Toss a coin to your Witcher' stuck in heads.
7. Umbrella Academy ; Poor man's Doom Patrol still proves to be a lot more fun and refreshing than the array of superhero shows that are out.
8. Good Omens ; Just a ridiculous amount of fun.
9. The Boys ; It's entertaining to get a take on how awful and scary a world full of superheroes can be.
10. Game of Thrones ; It has a garbage ending but it was still a great spectacle.

Fail of the year:

Legion ; Season 2 and 3 are a mess. A few key episodes are really good but for the most part the show felt like it was trying desperately to capture the magic of season 1.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
1. Succession
2. Righteous Gemstones
3. I Think You Should Leave
4. Barry
5. High Maintenance
6. Veep
7. The Boys
8. Russian Doll
9. Fleabag
10. This Time with Alan Partridge

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
No other mentions for Veronica Mars, The Loudest Voice, or Euphoria? Didn't you guys watch these shows at all? Or maybe you didn't care for them?

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Man, it is hard to rate these. Even the bottom of my list is excellent.

1. Russian Doll -- so good I watched it twice. Standout television
2. Watchmen -- thought I would maybe be hate-watching it, ended up loving it
3. Steven Universe -- the series finale was amazing. One of the most emotional shows on television
4. The Good Place -- still l great and funny, and better than last season
5. Marvelous Mrs. Maisel -- funny, interesting, and beautiful to look at
6. The Expanse -- gimme that hard sci-fi, though this season is less "hard" than the previous ones
7. Doom Patrol -- exquisite weirdness, true to the spirit of the comic, and unlike anything else out there
8. Good Omens -- great adaptation of a great book, and perfectly cast
9. The Deuce -- David Simon at it again. Some of the best performances on TV as well.
10. What We Do in the Shadows -- always hilarious

Barely missed the cut:
The Mandalorian
Undone
Umbrella Academy

Not out in 2019, but surely would place high on the list:
Better Call Saul

Did not make the list:
The Boys -- it was OK, but kinda overbaked
Game of Thrones -- shocking it didn't make my list, but it really fell off a cliff

Should have seen and would probably rank high:
Counterpart -- I loved Season 1, didn't get around to season 2 yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.