Status
Not open for further replies.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know how many executives gave Beto money, or that they were even executives?
Nope. We just know the donation numbers that came from the oil and gas job field, which was a very small amount of his overall donations in the Senate race. Won't stop fans of a certain candidate as trying to promote him as pro oil and gas though

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know how many executives gave Beto money, or that they were even executives?

I've sort of been taking the accusations at face value, and I didn't know about the executives clause. I'm googling but it's giving me some white noise.
IIRC it was just people in the industry giving more than $200 that triggered him breaking the pointless promise.

Honestly, the same people who complain about people bringing up Sirota, who actually has a tangible effect on how Bernie's campaign operates, complaining about this repeatedly, which is an entirely pointless gesture, kinda seems... Well, hypocritical.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Beto got money from oil and gas employees because he campaigned in TX for Senate. He also got alot of money from people in every other profession. How is he going to return money from a Senate race that's over when he already gave that money to the TX Democratic Party?

I have zero issues with oil and gas workers. I used to work in that industry and have liberal friends and relatives still working in it.

But he pledged to decline large donations (over $200) and from oil executives and he should have worked harder to meet it.

His campaign finance people should have known, since they're the ones who file the Campaign disclosures.

I've sort of been taking the accusations at face value, and I didn't know about the executives clause. I'm googling but it's giving me some white noise.

https://readsludge.com/2018/12/10/beto-orourke-oil-and-gas-contributions-2018/

I've found that of the $430,000 that O'Rourke's Senate campaign received from individuals who work in the oil and gas industry, 75 percent has come in the form of "large" donations over $200. The donors include more than two dozen oil and gas executives. More than 30 donations were the maximum allowed amount of $2,700. But the Texas representative also took in tons of small donations of $200 and under.

So two dozen.

Again, I don't think it's a big deal.

I just think someone should be called out when they break a pledge. (Like Bernie's dreaded tax returns.)

Don't make a promise you can't keep.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Tax returns are a much bigger deal than this after-thought of a pledge. Politicians make much bigger promises they can't keep than something as pointless as this on the regular.

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have zero issues with oil and gas workers. I used to work in that industry and have liberal friends and relatives still working in it.

But he pledged to decline large donations (over $200) and from oil executives and he should have worked harder to meet it.

His campaign finance people should have known, since they're the ones who file the Campaign disclosures.

https://readsludge.com/2018/12/10/beto-orourke-oil-and-gas-contributions-2018/

So two dozen.

Again, I don't think it's a big deal.

I just think someone should be called out when they break a pledge. (Like Bernie's dreaded tax returns.)

Don't make a promise you can't keep.
Can you show me where he pledged not to take donations from people that work in the oil and gas field during his Senate run?

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, Tukarrs!
Can you show me where he pledged not to take donations from people that work in the oil and gas field during his Senate run?
In the article, right under that quote:
I also found that O'Rourke broke the No Fossil Fuel Money Pledge—a commitment to reject campaign donations over $200 from fossil fuel PACs and executives that was endorsed by 16 environmental groups—which he signed.

Last edited:

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
I don't know anyone changing email accounts frequently enough for that to be an issue

It's going to be an issue with anyone's base for anything, whether we're talking about emails or phone numbers. You're never going to have a 100% retention rate using data that's several years old. Having worked with email databases myself (including Sanders' campaign in 2016) I can say that having outdated data is a common occurrence and the only real way to stay up to date is to stay active with the base and refresh the list as much as possible. There will always be people whose information remains consistent over a long period of time, but those people aren't an overwhelming majority when it comes to donor lists.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be an issue with anyone's base for anything, whether we're talking about emails or phone numbers. You're never going to have a 100% retention rate using data that's several years old. Having worked with email databases myself (including Sanders' campaign in 2016) I can say that having outdated data is a common occurrence and the only real way to stay up to date is to stay active with the base and refresh the list as much as possible. There will always be people whose information remains consistent over a long period of time, but those people aren't an overwhelming majority when it comes to donor lists.
Changing your email address is such a pain in the ass I wouldn't guess that the majority would change it over a few year period.

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've dealt with email lists myself and at most 1% of people change their email address frequently. What you may have been seeing was people signing up for his mailing list with fake emails or accidentally doing typos when inputting it.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
I've dealt with email lists myself and at most 1% of people change their email address frequently. What you may have been seeing was people signing up for his mailing list with fake emails or accidentally doing typos when inputting it.

I never referred to people changing their emails frequently.

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. I was simply talking about databases often containing outdated information and how having a large database of contacts doesn't guarantee that those contacts are still active several years later.
Keep in mind a lot of his contributions are coming from new email accounts. Many of the old ones are probably defunct now.
Sounded like you were saying it here, although I might be misinterpreting your post. I think if he had a list of donors from 2016, a good 97-99% of those emails are still valid. You aren't going to see a large percentage of those go defunct over a 3 year period. Either way, this isn't really relevant at this point to the topic at hand so I'll end it there.

Elizabeth Warren was just on Chris Hayes and it sounds like she's already given up on winning and just hopes to stay in to push her ideas now lol

Manashima

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Just donated my first ever political contribution to Bernie Sanders. Feels good.

Does anyone know where is the total number of contributions for Bernie, so I can keep track of it?

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown

I haven't watched this yet to get a read on Marianne's immediate response but it looks possible that she'll raise her position on the issue to $2 trillion for reparations.

daschysta

Mar 24, 2019
Nope. We just know the donation numbers that came from the oil and gas job field, which was a very small amount of his overall donations in the Senate race. Won't stop fans of a certain candidate as trying to promote him as pro oil and gas though

His voting record paints him as pro oil and gas, not a smear. He has voted in favor of drilling in the Eastern Gulf of Mexico and consistently has supported lifting moratoriums on exports of crude oil and natural gas. He's from Texas, I get it, but it isnt a smear to question his coziness to the Fossil Fuel industry.

Last edited:

daschysta

Mar 24, 2019

He has voted against pipelines transporting Canadian Tar Sands, true, and occasionally paid lip service to the dangers of fracking (obviously no problem there) however when it comes to Domestic production he has voted Against bills seeking to curb offshore drilling exploration in the gulf and for increasing natural gas exports. Also for Protecting utilities from liability when they cause fires on federal land and for radical bills Abolishing the ban on oil exports. He certainly supports voting to encourage market conditions that incentivize the rampant proliferation of domestic fossil fuels. He was often of the few democrats voting with republicans on these measures and in fact votes far more often with Republicans than anyone sometimes called "progressive". The outcome of this type of legislation is the increased production of fossil fuels. No other democrat who call themselves environmentalists, or claims Climate Change as an existential threat would vote this way and still expect to be credible.

I get that hes from Texas, but his record is problematic if we are trying to paint him as an environmentalist or a progressive in that respect.

daschysta

Mar 24, 2019
That's not the same as being corrupted by those industries, however. He is a Texan, of course he'd be more inclined to help those industries.
I didn't use the word corrupt. Just pro oIl and natural gas, as you did. I simply said to call him pro oil and gas isn't a smear. You posited one possible explanation, probably valid. Its just that that record belies his claims to be a champion on climate.

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good article on the human cost of Harris's Truancy policy

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/kama...ressive-prosecutor_n_5c995789e4b0f7bfa1b57d2e

Shayla frequently missed school because she was in too much pain to leave the house or was hospitalized for long-term care. Her school was aware of these circumstances; it had records on file from the regional children's hospital explaining that Shayla's condition would necessitate unpredictable absences and special educational accommodations. Peoples and the school had worked together to set up some of those accommodations, which are required under federal disability law. At the time of her arrest, Peoples claims she was fighting with the school to get it to agree to additional accommodations under an Individualized Education Plan, which she said the school had rejected.

"This is a young woman who spends a lot of her life in the hospital," Peoples said. "How is it that she's giving off the impression of being a gang member? … Why are they coming after me?"

Peoples was caught up in the hugely complex forces Harris and her tough-on-truancy stance unleashed more than a decade ago.

Harris has since replaced her punitive stance with the message that parents of truant children need help, not scare tactics. It's a shift that happened roughly in step with voters' waning tolerance for using the criminal justice system to address complicated social problems and Harris' own preparations to seek higher office. In the memoir she released shortly before announcing her candidacy for president, Harris described her work on truancy as "trying to support parents, not punish them."

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Specifically on natural gas, if you're pursuing renewable it's impossible for you to have that without a follower power source, of which the only options are natural gas, coal, and oil. So, if you're pro renewable, you're supporting natural gas (Which is why the natural gas lobby is pro renewable).

Not to mention that renewables without energy storage can only take up like 30% of the overall grid over a year. Even if you were to solve the energy storage issues (even water storage costs $100 per kwh, ridiculously expensive) you'd still need 40% of the grid on something like natural gas because of variability in wind and solar generation. Only way to minimize follower use to about 20% is nuclear.

daschysta

Mar 24, 2019
Specifically on natural gas, if you're pursuing renewable it's impossible for you to have that without a follower power source, of which the only options are natural gas, coal, and oil. So, if you're pro renewable, you're

Not to mention that renewables without energy storage can only take up like 30% of the overall grid over a year. Even if you were to solve the energy storage issue (even water storage costs $100 per kwh, ridiculously expensive) you'd still need 40% of the grid on something like natural gas because of variability in wind and solar generation. Only way to minimize follower use to about 20% is nuclear.

I don't disagree. I am not nearly as stridently anti-nuclear as many progressives. ( IMO the maon concern with nuclear is from a consumer/ratepayer protection POV) Encouraging oil and gas exports, however doesnt merely acknowlege the reality that we cannot go 100 percent renewable (yet), but creates market conditions that encourage a boom in fossil fuel production, which is precisely what we've seen happen.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Just donated my first ever political contribution to Bernie Sanders. Feels good.

Does anyone know where is the total number of contributions for Bernie, so I can keep track of it?

https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/...rs.com/one-million-donations.png?no_replace=1

Elizabeth Warren was just on Chris Hayes and it sounds like she's already given up on winning and just hopes to stay in to push her ideas now lol

Yeah. Warren pretty much plainly stated that policy ideas show what we stand for, and that it doesn't matter who the candidate in a year is as long as these ideas permeate to the public.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't disagree. I am not nearly as stridently anti-nuclear as many progressives. ( IMO the maon concern with nuclear is from a consumer/ratepayer protection POV) Encouraging oil and gas exports, however doesnt merely acknowlege the reality that we cannot go 100 percent renewable (yet), but creates market conditions that encourage a boom in fossil fuel production, which is precisely what we've seen happen.
The thing is, renewable will always be a base load power source so it will never be possible to go 100 percent renewable (Since power use is not a flat line).

On the other hand with more advanced nuclear reactors, variability could be possible. Either case, from a rate-payer point of view, if you actually try to get into renewable energy storage, there is no power source more expensive.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Quinnipiac 2020 poll

D2vfTaFXQAA1AlP

https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2611

Would you want trump to have a primary challenger ?

Yes: 35
No: 56

Would you like the 2020 dem candidate younger or older all things being equal?
Younger 39
Older 21
Doesn't matter 35

Should the candidate be more progressive or more moderate?
Progressive 49
Moderate 44

Should the dem candidate work with republicans or stand up to them
Work with 52
Stand up 39

Should the 2020 dem candidate share your views or be the most electable
Share views 51
Electable 45

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Pete tying Warren for 5th place already is pretty awesome. He still hasn't even technically launched his campaign yet, just the exploratory committee. He's got a whole lot of room to grow once more people learn who he is.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Pete tying Warren for 5th place already is pretty awesome. He still hasn't even technically launched his campaign yet, just the exploratory committee. He's got a whole lot of room to grow once more people learn who he is.
Yup, I'll say he's gonna be in the serious contender tier going forward if this surge lasts/grows.

I know he's currently doubling staff and expanding campaign infrastructure. I'd expect an official launch sometime late next month after they've had some time to expand operations with this new success/ momentum.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
Pete's interesting, because he's really the only one with no national presence that has shown any sort of momentum.

I'm curious how high he'll go. An Iowa shocker of even placing in the top 3 might really shake things up.

Deleted member 29676

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Pete's interesting, because he's really the only one with no national presence that has shown any sort of momentum.

I'm curious how high he'll go. An Iowa shocker of even placing in the top 3 might really shake things up.

There are more than half a dozen DNC debates before the Iowa Caucus. We are so far away from people actually voting it isn't even worth wondering yet

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Some things never change
Yeah that's what drives me up a wall about the "stop talking about bipartisanship/compromise/negotiating" crowd.

No Democratic candidate for president, not even Bernie is ever going to go up there and just be like "fuck Republicans, they suck" and win on that platform. Even Trump makes token passes towards winning Democratic support for his bills, even though he doesn't really follow through on it.

Hillary said half of Trump's supporters were deplorable and got reamed for it. And she was 100% fucking right. Too generous if anything. Doesn't mean she should have said it.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly can't think of a single reason why someone who wants to push left policies would vote Bernie over Pete. Pete is left through and through where as Biden, Kamala, and Beto have more moderate tendencies and isn't a cranky old 80 year old straight white dude.

Bernie has nothing over Pete at this point for someone who is far on the left. Pete has a left policy agenda plus is young, far more charismatic, and not a straight white guy.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly can't think of a single reason why someone who wants to push left policies would vote Bernie over Pete. Pete is left through and through where as Biden, Kamala, and Beto have more moderate tendencies and isn't a cranky old 80 year old straight white dude.

Bernie has nothing over Pete at this point for someone who is far on the left. Pete has a left policy agenda plus is young, far more charismatic, and not a straight white guy.
There are still some policy differences.
Like if you believe in single-payer health care or federal job guarantee, Bernie would still be preferable. On the other hand, Pete believes in court stacking, which is a plus if one cares about correcting the mess of a supreme court.

MadScientist

Oct 27, 2017
Go Mayor Pete! I had never donated to a campaign before until a few weeks ago. I donated to his campaign as they were trying to hit 65,000 unique donations to hit the debate threshold. He's so genuine, smart, progressive, and young (my age). I also don't think I disagree with any policy suggestions he's mentioned yet. Still a large mountain to climb.

Oct 25, 2017
Pete is now easily the likeliest non Beto, Biden, Bernie, Kamala nominee. His momentum is real.

Yup. And now I'm hoping Pete takes 'em down one by one at the debate stage and ultimately nabs the nomination. He's still got a long way to go, for sure, but Pete is showing a ton of promise and momentum.

My only concern right now with Pete if he wins the nomination is if he can energize voters beyond the Dem base and lead us to winning big enough that the Democrats take back the Senate. We need that in order to actually get things done.

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. And now I'm hoping Pete takes 'em down one by one at the debate stage and ultimately nabs the nomination. He's still got a long way to go, for sure, but Pete is showing a ton of promise and momentum.

My only concern right now with Pete if he wins the nomination is if he can energize voters beyond the Dem base and lead us to winning big enough that the Democrats take back the Senate. We need that in order to actually get things done.
Pete doesn't really seem like the energizing type. I do like him though.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018

Yeah, Bernie has nothing on him, except for being a champion of said left agenda for literally decades on end and being the one who popularized it in the first place...

Deleted member 10224

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love Pete, but It's pretty straightforward why a lot of lefties support Bernie over everyone else. They just like Bernie's personality more, some people here might not understand that, but that's the truth, they just like the grandpa vibes they get from him. They also trust him more because they can look back 20-30yrs ago and see him fighting for the same issues, and a lot of them also believe that Bernie will be more isolationist on FP compared to others. I can understand why a lot of people are so in love with Bernie.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Yeah, Bernie has nothing on him, except for being a champion of said left agenda for literally decades on end and being the one who popularized it in the first place...

The main difference between them is that Bernie ran for president a few years back, so people know about him now. Had he started on the ground level this year they'd likely be equal because nobody knew who Bernie was for the majority of his career.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is being old enough to push it for decades make Bernie somehow more worthy than Pete who also pushes left policies? Being first doesn't somehow make someone more likely to get the policy through congress. There isn't anything about being "first" that helps a candidate or President.

Oct 25, 2017
Pete doesn't really seem like the energizing type. I do like him though.

I'm not sure, personally. He's definitely not like Beto- but the guy has been gaining more and more momentum lately and impresses most people who see his interviews, policies and general rhetoric. Beto might be of the Obama mold, but Pete reminds me a lot of Mr. Rogers with his warmth, positivity and intellect. That's absolutely a form of charisma- just more subtle than Beto's more immediate approach, I think.

Whether that yields massive results on the voting field remains to be seen.

The main difference between them is that Bernie ran for president a few years back, so people know about him now. Had he started on the ground level this year they'd likely be equal because nobody knew who Bernie was for the majority of his career.

Yeah, I think this is a valid point too. Maybe the theory that Bernie has more popularity right now because of his grandpa persona is the whole truth, but I think at least a chunk of it comes down to Bernie having been more prominent in the public eye for a few years already.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
I can compromise with Pete honestly, at least he doesnt have Beto"s gross voting record. Also it would make me very happy to have a gay president, that would mean a lot for many people.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
How is being old enough to push it for decades make Bernie somehow more worthy than Pete who also pushes left policies? Being first doesn't somehow make someone more likely to get the policy through congress. There isn't anything about being "first" that helps a candidate or President.
Your framing is dishonest here - we're not Bernie supporters because he's old as fuck, but because he's been screaming about these issues for decades - even when they were wildly unpopular - and that shows real commitment and makes us trust that he WILL implement said policies.

Bernie's appeal comes from him being painted as the loner crazy socialist for like 40 years, only to find out that he has been the voice of reason all along.

And I love Pete, he's easily one of the best candidates and is smart as a whip, but people still want to see commitment from him until the voting starts. Some candidates can't commit to a position for days or weeks let alone an entire year or decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.