• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trump is president and actual threat now. Not some joke that could never possibly win like in 2016. participation is going to be way up.

then again in a post-2016 america putting forth a candidate like joe biden would be like a "really? really????" kind of thing more so than hillary. it's one thing to underestimate trump prior to him actually winning anything. it's something else entirely to underestimate trump after he has already won the presidency. at one of the most dire times for our country the party signaling that no lessons were learned has the potential to be devastating.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think Biden would be less aggressive with the executive orders than Bernie or Warren should Republicans hold the Senate.

So for this reason alone, I cannot abide a Biden presidency. If any Dem is going to be stonewalled for 4-8 years, then let it be the Dem that's willing to push the limits of executive power.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Why is this such a common idea this thread, meanwhile he has the best poll numbers against Trump, especially in battleground states?

Because the only reason he's polling high, is BECAUSE he's polling high.
His perceived electability is the cause for his electability argument.

As an actual candidate he's trash.

Watch the debates, go to his website, read up on the man, do all of that without looking at a single poll, and you'll wonder why would we run this guy against trump too.

He's the wrong candidate, and the Hillary loss is the lesson we need to apply to this cycle. We need the exciting candidate. Last time it was Bernie, this time it's any of the following: Bernie, Warren, Pete, Beto, Kamala, Yang.

I like Booker too, but he comes off a bit too peaceful

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Biden is like Bitcoin at $15,000. It's not actually worth $15,000, it's a lot of people thinking they can make a quick buck on it and buying up Bitcoin.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hold on. Is Bernie really anti war? I'm pretty sure he would intervene in Kosovo or Rwanda if he had to make a decision on that. Being against the military industrial complex isn't the same as being anti-war and I think Bernie is the former not the latter.

And if you agree with my assessment then you have to agree he's not the only candidate. It would be accurate to say he's the only front runner with those qualities.
It's possible he would advocate for intervention in those specific circumstances, but he is clearly against regime change and conflicts to project US global hegemony. He is also against assisting other countries in their bombing runs (hey Saudi Arabia). What other candidate takes a similar stance?
Elizabeth Warren is pro-war now? In what universe?
I didn't say she was 'pro-war' necessarily but she's voted to increase the military budget every time and I'm not sure she would discontinue our armed conflicts. Dismantling the military industrial complex hasn't been one of her stated goals. I like Warren, but I don't see her being much different than, say, Obama when it comes to foreign policy...and Obama was definitely a war president.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think Biden would be less aggressive with the executive orders than Bernie or Warren should Republicans hold the Senate.

So for this reason alone, I cannot abide a Biden presidency. If any Dem is going to be stonewalled for 4-8 years, then let it be the Dem that's willing to push the limits of executive power.
The limits of executive power are also tied up in the Senate with the supreme court. The only reason half of Trump's EO's have stayed afloat is because, despite failing in lower courts, the supreme court is republican.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The limits of executive power are also tied up in the Senate with the supreme court. The only reason half of Trump's EO's have stayed afloat is because, despite failing in lower courts, the supreme court is republican.
Boy I wish I could forget about the Supreme Court. Haven't said "pack the courts!" for a few months now so pack the courts!

Also Biden would probably never pack the courts.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Boy I wish I could forget about the Supreme Court. Haven't said "pack the courts!" for a few months now so pack the courts!

Also Biden would probably never pack the courts.
Neither would Bernie. Has literally said he would never pack the court. His idea is to have rotating justices, which would require a lot more votes to make a reality. On the other hand Warren has specifically said she would nuke the filibuster and pack the courts.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Neither would Bernie. Has literally said he would never pack the court. His idea is to have rotating justices, which would require a lot more votes to make a reality. On the other hand Warren has specifically said she would nuke the filibuster and pack the courts.
I'm aware, one of my gripes about his stances. It is, I feel, balanced out by some of his other stances regarding spending, worker ownership, foreign policy, etc.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
It's possible he would advocate for intervention in those specific circumstances, but he is clearly against regime change and conflicts to project US global hegemony. He is also against assisting other countries in their bombing runs (hey Saudi Arabia). What other candidate takes a similar stance?

I know for sure Williamson has this stance. Yang is currently in questionable status.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
They're certainly not the be-all but they're not nothing, especially with people as well known as Biden and Trump.
I think they're fine as a bit of supporting evidence, but it seems Biden supporters are using it as the singular argument to dismiss all concerns about his electability, and that's an over reliance on these extremely early polls.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Why is this such a common idea this thread, meanwhile he has the best poll numbers against Trump, especially in battleground states?

Because there's over 12 months until an election and Joe is already running out of stamina

No one does anything of note without taking the Senate. Everyone will do something of note with the Senate. Of course Biden/Bernie both are taking the tact of maintaining the filibuster. To be fair enough dems have pledged to keep the filibuster (something like 11?) that it doesn't actually matter if you're for or against abolishing the filibuster.

I think Bernie and Warren will use executive orders to do things Biden won't. I also think Bernie and Warren are more likely to use labour and unions to exert influence from outside the political system.

Last edited: