• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Strongest year ever for animated films? Have not seen Marcell the Shell, but the other 4 were all excellent.
I don't know about strongest, but it was very strong indeed- they could have happily slipped The Bad Guys or Wendell and Wild in too.

Shame two of the animated films on Disney's watch face-planted last year, but I'd be pretty surprised if Turning Red didn't take it regardless.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Avatar for best picture? lmao, cmon.
Also I think Batman should have been recognized in cinematography category.
Happy for EEAAO though, hope it gets some wins too.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
That's exactly what I was getting at, but wanted the OP to explain their comment. I guess they are confused what it means to be Cuban.

I'm well aware that many Hispanic people are white and that is largely true of those whose origins are Spanish. Ana De Armas certainly falls into the white Hispanic category.

I'm also well aware that race is many ways a societal construct. That large portions of society (particularly in the US where these awards are given) do not treat white Hispanic people as "white" in a similar way that Jewish people are frequently not treated as "white". That there's a reason there was a backlash that a Hispanic actress was going to portray Monroe in the first place. That Hispanic actors/actresses are still frequently underrepresented in Hollywood pictures and have historically been largely ignored by the Oscars as well, and few people here know as much about the Oscars as me, I've been studying/analyzing them for 20 years.

I don't know that an Oscar thread is the place to have a long discussion about it, but I do think its a form of representation to see her nominated. My original point is largely the same with or without her though. 6 nominees of color in the acting categories is still one of the highest totals the Oscars have ever had.

Daemul

Dec 13, 2017
Scotland
Both Avatar and Top Gun got nominated for BP? Damn. When was the last time the 2 highest grossing films of the year both got BP noms?

odiin

Oct 27, 2017
Despite some fuckery with the Actress category, and Decision to Leave being snubbed for International, I am happy with these nominations. Absolutely beaming over Paul Mescal getting in.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait ... Top Gun Maverick... best movie? Is this the MTV movie awards or the oscars?

Avatar?... God, those folks will be unbearable. Yuck.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yay for EEAAO, Michelle, Stephanie, Ke Huy, and Angela!!! Also nice surprise at seeing Brian nominated!

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
A pretty decent list of noms overall.

I don't know about strongest, but it was very strong indeed- they could have happily slipped The Bad Guys or Wendell and Wild in too.

Shame two of the animated films on Disney's watch face-planted last year, but I'd be pretty surprised if Turning Red didn't take it regardless.
It's going to be Del Toro's Pinocchio with the win.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017

I actually think Pinocchio has the best shot, with puss in boots having the most momentum and also having a shot. Turning red is at most an outsider imo.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Best Supporting Actor
Ke Huy Quan ("Everything Everywhere All at Once")

Best Supporting Actress
Angela Bassett ("Black Panther: Wakanda Forever")

Best Animated Feature Film
"Puss in Boots: The Last Wish" (DreamWorks Animation)

Best Adapted Screenplay
"Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery" (Netflix)

Best Original Screenplay
"Everything Everywhere All at Once" (A24)

Best Original Song
"Naatu Naatu" from "RRR"

Best Visual Effects
"Avatar: The Way of Water" (20th Century Studios)

Best Lead Actor
Austin Butler ("Elvis")
Brendan Fraser ("The Whale")

Best Lead Actress
Cate Blanchett ("Tár")
Michelle Yeoh ("Everything Everywhere All at Once")

Best Director
Daniel Kwan, Daniel Scheinert ("Everything Everywhere All at Once")

Best Picture
"Everything Everywhere All at Once" (A24)

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone seen the Whale? Got swallowed up by Avatar at my local theatres here in Boston. Hopefully it hits streaming soon as I want to see that - I also want to catch up on RRR and maybe Elvis.

I can't see the academy 100% on board with Everything - I still think momentum builds behind Fabelmans or Banshees, maybe even Tar. There's a lot of time.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Team Tár over here, my brain keep coming back to that movie. Haven't seen fabelmans or triangle of sadness yet though.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Both Avatar and Top Gun got nominated for BP? Damn. When was the last time the 2 highest grossing films of the year both got BP noms?
This is an interesting statistic. I went back through box office data a bit and it seems like the last time this happened was in 1982, with E.T. and Tootsie.

That's uh with only 5 noms back then though. Doubtful both Avatar and Top Gun get a nomination if the list of nominees was for 5 movies and not 10.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
I'm going to be real, both Avatar and Top Gun's nomination's kind of feels like a pointed statement about "The return of 'classic' Blockbusters." lol

It's a statement about Oscars viewership declining every year.

That's the exact reason they increased the potential nominees to 10 (it was a direct reaction to Dark Knight not getting a nod and the ensuing furor), and the first Avatar was nominated for BP, so the second one also being so is hardly the shock of the century.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I thought Claudio would have snuck in there for TGM, same with Greig for THE BATMAN. I don't understand how the fuck AVATAR is in there for Production Design…the academy is on drugs.

chubbpenguin

Banned
Jan 16, 2023
I'm going to be real, both Avatar and Top Gun's nomination's kind of feels like a pointed statement about "The return of 'classic' Blockbusters." lol

Thats definitely how people have been using them in online discourse.

I havent seen Top Gun (either the original or the new one) but avatar 2? Come on with that. Does not deserve to be anywhere near EEAAO.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
EEAAO sweep, lets go.

Very happy Wakanda Forever got so many nods also, rooting for Angela Bassett hard here.

Lev

Oct 29, 2017
United States
I'm well aware that many Hispanic people are white and that is largely true of those whose origins are Spanish. Ana De Armas certainly falls into the white Hispanic category.

I'm also well aware that race is many ways a societal construct. That large portions of society (particularly in the US where these awards are given) do not treat white Hispanic people as "white" in a similar way that Jewish people are frequently not treated as "white". That there's a reason there was a backlash that a Hispanic actress was going to portray Monroe in the first place. That Hispanic actors/actresses are still frequently underrepresented in Hollywood pictures and have historically been largely ignored by the Oscars as well, and few people here know as much about the Oscars as me, I've been studying/analyzing them for 20 years.

I don't know that an Oscar thread is the place to have a long discussion about it, but I do think its a form of representation to see her nominated. My original point is largely the same with or without her though. 6 nominees of color in the acting categories is still one of the highest totals the Oscars have ever had.

Okay, I see what you mean. It just looked weird seeing your list of actors with no context.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
The Batman not getting recognize for cinematography and score is criminal(y insane). Aside from that nominations look as expected, gonna root for EEAO for everything.

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
Hoping for an EEAaO sweep.

I'd be good with Colin Ferrell taking lead actor.

Pinocchio for animated.

Haven't seen The Whale, but I won't be mad with Fraser winning, given the last decade.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Top Gun Maverick, which I haven't even seen, is one of the most critically-acclaimed movies of the year. It destroyed with absolutely every metric for critical adoration and audience enthusiasm (A+ Cinemascore). Another one where a best picture nomination is hardly startling, especially in a lineup of 10.

Those cinematography nominations are a little underwhelming.

I was going to say Greg Fraiser not being nominated for Batman is the real snub here, but that's a solid lineup. Bardo basically replaced it if you go by the BAFTA nods, but I can't hate too much on it. That movie looked (and was) insane, and also got a nod from the ASC.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
My salty thoughts:
- Decision to Leave was robbed
- I hate the look of Sea Beasts, would have rather had Wendell and Wild there
- Why does the Academy love war movies so much?
- Why don't they just rename Production Design to "Biopics that made us miss the good ol days"

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Top Gun Maverick, which I haven't even seen, is one of the most critical-acclaimed movies of the year. It destroyed with absolutely every metric for critical adoration and audience enthusiasm (A+ Cinemascore). Another one where a best picture nomination is hardly startling, especially in a lineup of 10.

I was going to say Greg Fraiser not being nominated for Batman is the real snub here, but that's a solid lineup. Bardo basically replaced it if you go by the BAFTA nods, but I can't hate too much on it. That movie looked (and was) insane, and also got a nod from the ASC.
The Fabelmans is some of Kaminski's best work. That's the real cinematography snub.