ERA predicts that the 2024 Game of the Year will be...

• an RPG (ARPG, CRPG, JRPG etc.)

Votes: 129 35.7%
  • a Microsoft Gaming game

Votes: 15 4.2%
  • a PlayStation 5 Pro Enhanced game

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • a Switch 2 Exclusive

Votes: 82 22.7%
  • a Digital Only game

Votes: 8 2.2%
  • an Unannounced game

Votes: 46 12.7%
  • a game that might release in 2024

Votes: 63 17.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
It wouldn't surprise me if TOTK wins here, lots more people here have played Zelda, BG3 still is a CRPG

BOTW is ERA's GOAT game, only Bloodborne comes close.

It's so close that it'll just come down to who gets more votes over the next few days of voting. Could go either way. I would've expected/do expect TOTK to take it though, it's honestly closer than I thought. Era has always been console-centric.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
It's so close that it'll just come down to who gets more votes over the next few days of voting. Could go either way. I would've expected/do expect TOTK to take it though, it's honestly closer than I thought. Era has always been console-centric.
Wouldn't it be easier for a multiplatform game to win? Honest question, I don't know how it would work. Sure, BG3 isn't a game for everyone, but it's also not your typical cRPG (in a good way).
And how close is it? :D

OP
OP
BrickArts295

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Ironically I don't think I'll vote this year 😭
Out of 70+ games I've beaten in 2023, only 5 of them released in 2023 😬 I chose to tackled my backlog on the worst year. Barely touched Tears (no idea why, I loved BOTW but something didn't click with me on the tutorial island), I'm intimidated by BG3 (I'll play it eventually) and I'm currently going through AW2 (but I won't finish it in time).
Wouldn't it be easier for a multiplatform game to win? Honest question, I don't know how it would work. Sure, BG3 isn't a game for everyone, but it's also not your typical cRPG (in a good way).
Surprisingly this not always the case on Era, there's been more exclusive GOTYs than multi-platform ones.

2022 - Elden Ring
2021 - Metroid Dread
2020 - The Last of Us Part II
2019 - Resident Evil 2 Remake
2018 - God of War (2018)
2017 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2016 - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
2015 - Bloodborne
2014 - Bayonetta 2
2013 - The Last of Us
2012 - Journey
2011 - Portal 2
2010 - Mass Effect 2
2009 - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
2008 - Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
2007 - Super Mario Galaxy
2006 - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
2005 - Resident Evil 4
2004 - Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
2003 - Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Ezio2048

Jan 2, 2019
Ironically I don't think I'll vote this year 😭
Out of 70+ games I've beaten in 2023, only 5 of them released in 2023 😬 I chose to tackled my backlog on the worst year. Barely touched Tears (no idea why, I loved BOTW but something didn't click with me on the tutorial island), I'm intimidated by BG3 (I'll play it eventually) and I'm currently going through AW2 (but I won't finish it in time).

Surprisingly this not always the case on Era, there's been more exclusive GOTYs than multi-platform ones.
You completed 70+ games in 2023?? How?? I barely completed 10-15.

What do you think about AW2?

OP
OP
BrickArts295

BrickArts295

Oct 26, 2017
You completed 70+ games in 2023?? How?? I barely completed 10-15.

What do you think about AW2?
Lot of them were smaller titles under 10hours so it's not that impressive if I'm being honest.

AW2 has been excellent so far, very likely to be my GOTY. Would have played it sooner but I recently finished Control Ultimate with all the DLCs after I was told that it was a must play before AW2 (and yep it was).

Ezio2048

Jan 2, 2019
Lot of them were smaller titles under 10hours so it's not that impressive if I'm being honest.

AW2 has been excellent so far, very likely to be my GOTY. Would have played it sooner but I recently finished Control Ultimate with all the DLCs after I was told that it was a must play before AW2 (and yep it was).
Yeah it's my GOTY too (although I am having difficulty in voting for it in ERA goty. Need to do it from PC, mobile is not letting me vote correctly) and so was Control in 2019.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019

As BrickArts295 mentioned with the list, not really. Not on here anyway, this is an enthusiast forum people usually have all the consoles they would want. Going back to 2006 (cutoff there because I don't remember the platforms the previous winners released on) we've had 17 different GOTYs win here/old site. Of that, in the year of release (some games went multiplatform later) we've had 8 PS exclusives win (MGS4, Uncharted 2, Journey, TLoU, Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, God of War, TLoU II), 5 Nintendo exclusives (Twilight Princess, Galaxy, Bayo 2, BOTW, Dread), 1 Xbox and PC exclusive (Mass Effect 2 was Xbox only for consoles the year of release), and 3 truly multiplatform games (Portal 2, RE2 Remake, Elden Ring).

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Zelda and Souls series is probably the most popular games here and exclusives in general rank higher than multi.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
2021 was a weird year. I wish Psychonauts 2 got more love!
She'll find you.

Metroid%2BDread%2BChozo%2BFight%2BGif.gif

It wouldn't surprise me if TOTK wins here, lots more people here have played Zelda, BG3 still is a CRPG

BOTW is ERA's GOAT game, only Bloodborne comes close.
As always, best game should mean best game, not best game in more popular genre.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
Kinda Funny Games - TOTK

GameXplain chose Spiderman 2 and KFG chose TOTK? Interesting result lol

www.youtube.com

Kinda Funny's Game of the Year 2023

This show is sponsored by BetterHelp - go to http://betterhelp.com/kindafunny to get 10% off your first month.The votes are in! What games made it to our Top...

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be surprised if TOTK won on our site considering a big part of the Nintendo fan base moved over to famiboards. But I guess Metroid Dredd won too so who knows.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'd be surprised if TOTK won on our site considering a big part of the Nintendo fan base moved over to famiboards. But I guess Metroid Dredd won too so who knows.
There are plenty of Nintendo fans to take their place.

It's also worth noting that a big part of this site's Xbox and Playstation fan bases aren't here anymore either... as a result of getting themselves straight-up banned for console wars shit over these last 4 years. I'm not kidding, the number of long-time posters who aren't here anymore because they just couldn't help themselves is non-negligible.

I'd say we're at a point where there's probably as many Nintendo fans as there are Playstation fans, if not more, on this website. I could be wrong, what with Playstation having such momentum as a brand right now, but that's just me eyeballing it.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017

It's also worth noting that a big part of this site's Xbox and Playstation fan bases aren't here anymore either... as a result of getting themselves straight-up banned for console wars shit over these last 4 years. I'm not kidding, the number of long-time posters who aren't here anymore because they just couldn't help themselves is non-negligible.

I'd say we're at a point where there's probably as many Nintendo fans as there are Playstation fans, if not more, on this website. I could be wrong, what with Playstation having such momentum as a brand right now, but that's just me eyeballing it.
Holy smokes lol. Console wars are serious business.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

An exodus of people that went to FB and IB isn't the same as people just getting banned over the years. You're severely underestimating it.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
An exodus of people that went to FB and IB isn't the same as people just getting banned over the years. You're severely underestimating it.
Maybe I am. I don't think there's any shortage of Nintendo fans here regardless, even despite the most dedicated ones having left for Famiboards.

People keeping saying this while ignoring that most of the people here still own Switches as if Nintendo fans were some endangered minority here.
^

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
Maybe I am. I don't think there's any shortage of Nintendo fans here regardless, even despite the most dedicated ones having left for Famiboards.

^
I don't want to pick a fight with people with people, but it does feel any exodus is exclusively referenced when people don't get their way and want to write it off.

It's just something that stands out to me whenever someone goes "geeze, I see why all the Nintendo fans left now".

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019

Prepare to be surprised then, I guess. But what you refer to is people who posted in the Nintendo OT, there are plenty of people here with Switches who didn't. BOTW just recently won a poll, even beating Elden Ring by a good margin, of "best game to win TGAs GOTY." There is *plenty* of Nintendo fans still here. And what Doskoi Panda said is true too, this site in general has just lost a lot of members to bans, not just Nintendo. The numbers are thinned everywhere. Look at voter participation on the 2017 GOTY thread compared to 2018 and so on.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There are various factors at play including an Xbox exodus and the Sales Age exodus as well then there are factors like the rise of large Discord communities as well, but to act like the former were insignificant is being disingenuous, just like saying there aren't Nintendo fans left here either. Both the statement that the community is smaller while still having fans of every platform can be and is true.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
Also, not that I take the vote that seriously, but the implication that you need console specific fans present to get an exclusive over (not just people who own multiple systems and actually try multiple games) does the sour the thing a bit.

If I pushed for Spider-Man in 2018
Metroid Dread in 2021
Forza Horizon in ... 2021 (shit)

its because I like those games, not because I'm specifically a fan of the console last first party dev.

And this year I get to root for a multiplatform game that no one played.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's definitely true that a lot of Nintendo fans left ERA, but at the end of the day, that's pointless when discussing our GOTY. It's always going to have some semblance of a popularity contest.

None of us are omniscient and have played every game that came out this year. I voted TotK as my #1 and haven't touched BG3 or AWII. I scroll through the GOTY vote thread and there are tons of people who only submit 1 vote for BG3. And tons of people who only have PS5 games on their lists.

I'd say all the games we picked so far are great, but at the end of the day we're still a reader's choice.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to pick a fight with people with people, but it does feel any exodus is exclusively referenced when people don't get their way and want to write it off.

It's just something that stands out to me whenever someone goes "geeze, I see why all the Nintendo fans left now".
Totally get it. I constantly read about it and really don't know the extent of anything. I could see it being a point of frustration based on your observation.

rzks21

Aug 17, 2023
People keeping saying this while ignoring that most of the people here still own Switches as if Nintendo fans were some endangered minority here.

Not to mention it can be emulated so anyone interested enough due to the immense TOTK hype could play it regardless, which was a pretty common occurrence for BOTW at least.

Anyway, I wrote a dumb script to see how these were going and while it's not accurate at all (double counts quoted posts and users posting edited versions) the number of votes for TOTK and BG3 is huge, with both getting hundreds of votes more than what Elden Ring got last year. It's going to be really close.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Baldurs Gate 3
estnn.com

ESTNN Game of the Year 2023

As the gaming world stops for another year, ESTNN looks back at our Game of the Year 2023, plus a few honourable mentions.
www.podcavern.com

161 - Top 5 Video Games of 2023 - PodCavern

January means it's that time of year again for...video game discussions! 2023 was a weird year for video games. It has arguably the highest highs in gaming we have seen in a long time in terms of quality of output, but it also has arguably the lowest lows we have seen in the industry as a whole...

readers, not sure about critics
level1.ee

AASTA MÄNG 2023! – Hilisõhtu Sten Kohlmanniga - Level1

Daamid ja härrad, Level1 toob teieni Eesti kõige eksklusiivsema late-night talk show eales – Hilisõhtu Sten Kohlmanniga. Vaid ühel korral tuuakse teieni jutuajamised kodumaa kuumimate staaridega, et saada vastused arvukatele küsimustele. Mida arvab Märt Koik Bethesda uusimast rollimängust...

critics and readers
www.goha.ru

Итоги GoHa.Ru Awards 2023: лучшие игры и победители голосования

Завершилось голосование GoHa.Ru Awards 2023 за лучшие игры 2023 года. Читатели нашего портала оставляли свое мнение в двух десятках номинаций, выбирая любимые игры, сериалы, фильмы и аниме.

Last edited:

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Baldurs Gate 3
www.gamekapocs.hu

2023 legjobb játékai - szerintetek

Párját ritkítóan izgalmas volt a 2023-as év a játékrajongók számára, rengeteg fantasztikus címmel hódolhattunk a kedvenc hobbinknak. Az év végén arra kértünk titeket, hogy nevezzétek meg a kedvenceiteket - lássuk a szavazás eredményeit!
www.gry-online.pl

Czytelnicy GRYOnline.pl wybrali najlepszą grę roku. Spider-Man 2 poza podium | GRYOnline.pl

Plebiscyt Gra Roku 2023 za nami, dzięki czemu możemy podzielić się z Wami wynikami. I choć największy wygrany nie dziwi w ogóle, tak sądzę, że znajdziecie tu kilka niespodzianek. Zatem nie przedłużając – co pokochaliście najbardziej i czego nie możecie się doczekać?
dtf.ru

Baldur's Gate 3 стала лучшей игрой 2023 года по версии пользователей DTF — Игры на DTF

Alan Wake 2 и Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty ничего не смогли поделать с RPG от Larian.

Last edited:

rzks21

Aug 17, 2023

Before reading the gry-online poll I didn't know Polish devs had so many great titles under their belt this year, damn. Against the Storm, Robocop and Ghostrunner 2 on top of Phantom Liberty, oof!

4Player Podcast did their category awards and hey! They did the level design category people were saying would be too hard to do B)

Couldn't go through it all because they did spoilers for most categories, but it looks like some deep discussions with lots of love for TOTK in the level design section.

Biggest surprise mentions: Pikmin 4, Hi-Fi Rush existing, Connections, Lethal Company, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Armored Core 6, CP2077 2.0, Fire Emblem Engage combat
Biggest disappointment mentions: Final Fantasy XVI (two mentions), TOTK (storytelling only, otherwise loved it), Jedi Survivor (Steam Deck performance), Fire Emblem Engage, Starfield (two mentions).
Won't quit you award (promising they will finish them in 2024): Cobalt Core, Alan Wake 2, Jedi Survivor (guy that played on Steam Deck will now try it on his desktop lmao), TOTK.
Spotlight (deserved more attention) awards: Pseudoregalia, Aliens Dark Descent, System Shock, Friends vs Friends, Against the Storm

I really liked the disappointments section commentary on Starfield; it goes very deeply into why the game failed for a lot of us who enjoyed Skyrim.

Ezio2048

Jan 2, 2019
BrickArts295, I was trying to compile the developer wins for all the big award ceremonies GOTY if you're interested to add them to your "Additional Stats" section. Started with 2 of my favourite developers.

(Note: To keep things fair, counting Critics win only for all ceremonies and Readers win only for Golden Joystick as it is primarily a readers goty. Especially as some ceremonies started their readers goty in recent years only)

Rockstar - 17

VGA/TGA - 4
Golden Joystick - 4 (5 if you count Critics win for RDR2)
GDC - 2
NAVGTR - 3
Brazil Game Awards - 1
Fun & Serious Game Festival (Titanium Awards) - 2
Italian Game Awards - 1

Naughty Dog - 17

VGA/TGA - 2
Golden Joystick - 1
GDC - 2
NAVGTR - 1
Brazil Game Awards - 1
Fun & Serious Game Festival (Titanium Awards) - 1
Italian Game Awards - 1
SXSW - 2
DICE - 2
BAFTA - 2
New York Game Awards - 2

If others can join and add to it, might make some interesting stats. Nintendo, Bethesda, Santa Monica, and From Software might give some tough competition to Rockstar and Naughty Dog.

Last edited:

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
As far as studios (not publishers) are concerned, here are the biggest winners of GOTY's:

1- Naughty Dog - 907
Th Last of Us Part II - 326
Uncharted 4 - 190
The Last of Us - 257
Uncharted 2 - 111
Uncharted 3 - 20
Uncharted Lost Legacy - 1
The Last of Hs Part I (2022) - 2

2- From Software - 597
Armored Core 6 - 4
Elden Ring - 435
Sekiro - 85
Dark Souls 3 - 15
Bloodborne - 34
Dark Souls 2 - 15
Dark Souls - 5
Demon's Souls - 4

3- Rockstar - 491
Red Dead Redemption - 111
Grand Theft Auto 4 - 39
Grand Theft Auto 5 - 163
Red Dead Redemption - 178

If GTA6 performs as well as Elden Ring then Rockstar may stand a chance to surpass Naughty Dog who themselves aren't standing still but actually working on "ambitious" games. Sounds like fun times ahead.

Sources: 1 and 2

Ezio2048

Jan 2, 2019
As far as studios (not publishers) are concerned, here are the biggest winners of GOTY's:

1- Naughty Dog - 907
Uncharted 4 - 190
The Last of Us - 257
Uncharted 2 - 111
Uncharted 3 - 20

2- From Software - 597
Armored Core 6 - 4
Elden Ring - 435
Sekiro - 85
Dark Souls 3 - 15
Bloodborne - 34
Dark Souls 2 - 15
Dark Souls - 5
Demon's Souls - 4

3- Rockstar - 491
Grand Theft Auto 4 - 39
Grand Theft Auto 5 - 163

If GTA6 performs as well as Elden Ring then Rockstar may stand a chance to surpass Naughty Dog who themselves aren't standing still but actually working on "ambitious" games. Sounds like fun times ahead.

I was looking for big ceremony wins as overall goty count and outlets have inflated a lot in recent years compared to early 2000s and 2010s so it's unfair to those years' games.

Also, Rockstar would be 511. 9 for Gta San Andreas, 5 for Vice City and 6 for Gta 3.

Ezio2048

Jan 2, 2019
BrickArts295, I was trying to compile the developer wins for all the big award ceremonies GOTY if you're interested to add them to your "Additional Stats" section. Started with 2 of my favourite developers.

(Note: To keep things fair, counting Critics win only for all ceremonies and Readers win only for Golden Joystick as it is primarily a readers goty. Especially as some ceremonies started their readers goty in recent years only)

Rockstar - 17

VGA/TGA - 4
Golden Joystick - 4 (5 if you count Critics win for RDR2)
GDC - 2
NAVGTR - 3
Brazil Game Awards - 1
Fun & Serious Game Festival (Titanium Awards) - 2
Italian Game Awards - 1

Naughty Dog - 17

VGA/TGA - 2
Golden Joystick - 1
GDC - 2
NAVGTR - 1
Brazil Game Awards - 1
Fun & Serious Game Festival (Titanium Awards) - 1
Italian Game Awards - 1
SXSW - 2
DICE - 2
BAFTA - 2
New York Game Awards - 2

If others can join and add to it, might make some interesting stats. Nintendo, Bethesda, Santa Monica, and From Software might give some tough competition to Rockstar and Naughty Dog.
To make things even fairer, if we exclude regional award/discontinued ceremonies and only count the 6 big oldest ones (Golden Joystick, DICE, GDC, VGA/TGA, BAFTA and NAVGTR) then Rockstar would be 13 and Naughty Dog would be 10.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Zelda will win here, lots more people having it in their list.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017

1- Naughty Dog - 907
Uncharted 4 - 190
The Last of Us - 257
Uncharted 2 - 111
Uncharted 3 - 20

2- From Software - 597
Armored Core 6 - 4
Elden Ring - 435
Sekiro - 85
Dark Souls 3 - 15
Bloodborne - 34
Dark Souls 2 - 15
Dark Souls - 5
Demon's Souls - 4

3- Rockstar - 491
Grand Theft Auto 4 - 39
Grand Theft Auto 5 - 163

Is Nintendo EPD not being counted here?

JMS

Jul 22, 2022
NWTV (nl) Reader's Choice - wizard game

www.nwtv.nl

NWTV-Awards 2023: Hogwarts Legacy is de beste game van 2023

Eind vorig jaar kon je stemmen op de beste game van 2023 en dat deden jullie massaal. Hogwarts Legacy is volgens jullie de beste

xDlate - ??? can't translate

www.youtube.com

ЛУЧШИЕ игры 2023 года: xDlate Awards 2023

2024 год, наконец, наступил и нас ждёт целая прорва интересных релизов самой разной направленности. Однако не помешало бы подвести итоги по прошлому году, ве...

saate7 (SA) - RE4 Remake, Reader's Choice

www.saate7.com

بهترین بازی های سال 2023 - ساعت هفت

بهترین بازی های سال 2023 - امسال بازی‌های بسیار خوبی منتشر شدند و یکی از پربارترین سال‌های صنعت بازی‌سازی را پشت‌سر گذاشتیم. به رسم هر سال هریک از اعضای تحریریه ۷ بازی برتر سال را انتخاب کردند و این برایمان بسیار سخت بود

Baldur's Gate Joins the 200 club / Sub-Categories Up to date
OP
OP
BrickArts295

BrickArts295

Oct 26, 2017
Current standing so far:
Elden Ring (FromSoftware) - 433
The Last of Us Part II (Naughty Dog) - 322
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (CD Project Red) - 281
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo) - 264
God of War (2018) (Santa Monica Studio) - 263
The Last of Us (Naughty Dog) - 257
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Bethesda) - 229
Baldur's Gate III (Larian Studios) - 203
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (Naughty Dog) - 190
Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar Games) - 178
Grand Theft Auto V (Rockstar Games) - 163
Dragon Age: Inquisition (Bioware) - 139
Death Stranding (Kojima Productions) - 118
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (Naughty Dog) - 115
Overwatch (Blizzard Entertainment) - 114
Red Dead Redemption (Rockstar Games) - 111
God of War Ragnarök (Santa Monica Studio) - 105
Mass Effect 2 (Bioware) -102

Sub-Category updated again, here are the current leads per game so far (subject to change):

Baldur's Gate 3
Best Multiplayer
Best Community Support
Best Developer/Studio
Best Performance (s)
Best Role Playing Game
Best PC Game

Alan Wake 2
Best Game DIrection
Best Art Direction/Visual Design
Best Narrative
Best Technology/Graphics