N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017
Outstanding Achievement in Character

• Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Alejandro Vargas

I don't play CoD anymore but is this a good nom? I feel like there were a lot of great characters in games last year and (going off of past experience with CoD) the thought of a character in a CoD game getting praise is kinda laughable to me.

NaikoGames

Aug 1, 2022
man, even TGA nominated Xeno3 for best music.

and also Stray best "adventure" game of the year? in what sense is that an adventure and not...idk, Kirby is one?

ER for best story kinda makes sense imo, if you see it from the angle that their taking stuff like enviromental storytelling as an important factor

Gideon

Nov 8, 2022
Elden ring not nominated for music and art direction but COD warzone is nominated??? the hell? and elden ring getting nominated for technical achievement??? the hell? tech side was terrible.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Outstanding Achievement in Character

• Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Alejandro Vargas

I don't play CoD anymore but is this a good nom? I feel like there were a lot of great characters in games last year and (going off of past experience with CoD) the thought of a character in a CoD game getting praise is kinda laughable to me.

Yeah, but if you see the rest of the list... it feels like they didn't really put much thought into it. I mean, I would totally put Kratos in (mostly because of Christopher's performance) but after him you could find equally or better choices than Atreus (Freya, Sindri!), Aloy, or Guybrush, but somehow all the "classic" characters made the list.

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, but if you see the rest of the list... it feels like they didn't really put much thought into it. I mean, I would totally put Kratos in (mostly because of Christopher's performance) but after him you could find equally or better choices than Atreus (Freya, Sindri!), Aloy, or Guybrush, but somehow all the "classic" characters made the list.

The fact that Sindri keeps getting overlooked in these kinda awards is a shame. I thought he had the best performance in the game.

StredeZ

Dec 8, 2022
Does Dice define art direction as graphical fidelity and technical achievement as maybe systems + world design? Cause in the traditional sense no way should COD be in art direction and ER be in technical achievement, GT7 and Horizon not in sound + XB3 not in music is also very strange.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Same. I get that you get to play a cat and it's cute and all that, but it's just...so bad to mediocre in almost every way except art direction/graphics

That's the thing: this isn't true. It's not "bad to mediocre." And that's why it's so acclaimed.

Not every game is for everyone. And that's okay. Doesn't make them bad.

The idea that Stray was well received by both critics and industry peers simply because you play as a cat is completely ridiculous and fairly disrespectful to the developers.

No, Stray is not as acclaimed by every segment of the industry as it is "because cat."

Res

Oct 25, 2017
Some of these choices are...interesting. Like why is ER not nominated for art direction, for example

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
What the fuck is that family game category? Wrong Kirby, and what the hell is Trombone Champ?

Edit: What the hell is this. It's like Wii Music except even worse.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
What the fuck is that family game category? Wrong Kirby, and what the hell is Trombone Champ?

Edit: What the hell is this. It's like Wii Music except even worse.

Don't you dare disparage the beautiful name of Trombone Champ like that, dammit!

Edit: Also just noticed the Lost in Play nomination in the Family category. I just added that to my wishlist yesterday - I have no clue I never heard about that game this year, but it looks delightful.

Last edited:

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Couldn't find anything in their site about the techincal achievement award, but this is what it says in Wiki:

"The award celebrates the highest level of technical achievement through the combined attention to gameplay engineering and visual engineering. Elements honored include but are not limited to artificial intelligence, physics, engine mechanics, and visual rendering."

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
How do you nominate all these Art Direction nominees over Elden Ring and Cuphead?
How do you not nominate Elden Ring for best Music, especially when those are the other nominees?

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
It is okay to have an opinion that is different than the generally accepted one. The game didn't break into my top 5 for the year, and that's okay. The same that is okay to not really have anything notable in memory from it.
Literally nobody cares if you like or dislike it haha, you do you. It's just odd to see it expressed that way from a dev.

misho8723

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Elden Ring nominated for its story and tech but at the same time not being nominated in the Art category is really something