nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
AApuGeq.jpg

22. Starry Eyes (2014)

A woman's pursuit of Hollywood stardom puts her on a collision course with a satanic cult.

I really enjoyed this one. I was expecting this to be like Suspiria and it starts off similarly as such, then goes off in a complete different direction which blew me away. The acting isn't perfect but they got the casting right, the "elite" are pretty fucking creepy, the Big Taters boss was awesome and Alexandra Essoe puts on an impressive performance as the desperate wannabe starlet Sarah. Some of the effects are brutal and the last 30 minutes is what horror is all about. Recommended.

👻👻👻👻 out of 5

Last edited:

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
220px-The_Final_Girls_poster.jpg

40. The Final Girls (2015)
Five Teens are transported (like in Last Action Hero) into an '80's slasher. Some time looping (like in Groundhogs Day) shenanigans are introduced and quickly forgotten. One of the teens lost her mother who was a cast member of the film, now she can interact with a younger version of her Mom (like Back to the Future) while they all try to survive.

The film never really achieves anything because it doesn't know what it wants to be. It's rated PG-13 and about an '80's R-rated slasher which means lame deaths, little blood, no nudity, sex, drinking or drugs.

The looping running time aspects brought up some interesting ideas about having to get things right in the length of a movie, and then they drop this aspect.

The meta jokes about the stereotypical characters in slashers are a very small part, there's some legitimate moments of dark humor that had me laughing out loud, but again it's not a direction it wants to stick with. The driving storyline is the grieving daughter bonding with the celluloid version of her deceased mother.

Other problems-
-It cribs a ton from Friday the 13th and gets the dates wrong about when the fictional slasher takes place. Being 1986, it's way too late to be "the most influential slasher", then it uses '90's music in it's soundtrack.
-The slasher film's final girl is completely wrong for the '80's.
-The killer's design sucks and is distracting.
-The production design seems like it got the wrong memo. The summer camp, field of flowers, church and final scenes feel like knockoff Dario Argento.
-Why was this PG-13? Do that many under 18 year olds watch R-rated slasher films from 35+ years ago for them to be the primary audience?

There were some interesting ideas here, it's just too much of a mess in tone and purpose.
=2 out of 5

Steamlord

Oct 26, 2017
24. The Iron Rose (1973) (Rewatch)

Rollin with (most of) his sillier tendencies stripped away. We do see a clown and what seems to be a vampire near the beginning of the film, making sure we know that this is in fact a Rollin film through and through, but once night closes in it's only the central couple in a massive gloomy graveyard. I have to commend the wardrobe choice here, something I don't always pay a ton of attention to; the characters' vibrant yellow and red outfits cut through the clutter of grey crumbling tombstones and rusty iron gates, making them beacons of youthful vivacity in a world of the dead, the woman's clothing becoming increasingly dirty and tattered as she becomes enticed by that world. We see the man cut a striking figure in a black suit at the beginning of the film, highlighting the role reversal the couple undergoes - the man obsessed with death and the macabre and the woman repulsed by it, until they are engulfed by it. The lighting and camerawork are among the best in any of Rollin's films, depicting a world of inky blackness punctuated by mausoleums that dwarf the two leads, who, after all, are utterly insignificant in the face of the inevitability that surrounds them. 9/10

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
#22(?) Never Hike Alone - good fan film/10
First time watching. Haloid1177 liked it, and I wanted something short after Borat 2, so why not?
I watched Friday the 13th: Vengeance around the 9th, but I couldn't finish it cause it was real bad. This was much much better. Jason moves a little fast for my liking, the YouTuber stuff wasn't bad like it usually is in media, and the ending has some cool stuff.

Might watch two movies to put one in the 22 slot tomorrow.

Borat 2 was good too.

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
#22. Chopping Mall - Needed something short and easy after the debate. It is a very serviceable slasher movie where the killers are three malfunctioning robots in a mall where a bunch of teenagers decide to party. Bit of schlocky fun. I might have to say it's the scariest film I've watched for this marathon because of the tarantulas. Nothing makes me avert my eyes from a screen quicker than a spider.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
22) Gremlins 2: The New Batch

gremlins2_1990_poster_1-293x440.jpg

Tonight, on the Clamp Cable Classic Movie Channel, don't miss Casablanca, now in full color with a happier ending.

This was much more of a cartoon, compared to the black comedy of the first. In fact it operates almost like a parody of the first film, and of 80s excess, consumerism, media moguls and a hell of a lot of movies, from the Silent era to then recent releases. Thankfully, it's a hell of a funny cartoon. The bigger budget means way more Gremlins, and way more variety in their appearances and personalities, including the villain of the first film inexplicably reincarnating with a meaner design (but hey, cartoon logic, they also drink potions to turn into vegetables and bats). There's a lot of amusing fourth wall gags, including a random movie critic negatively reviewing...Gremlins 1, on VHS, and getting battered by said Gremlins for it, and I'm always a sucker for satires of 80s culture, being a child of Robocop and its ilk.

It's funny that the most dated parody is John Glover's "Daniel Clamp" Trump (with a little Ted Turner) spoof, mainly because he's portrayed as a vacuous but harmless rich goober instead of a cruel and corrupt tyrant. Ironically the standard evil CEO character of a family film would be too normal as a parody nowadays. Still, Glover is always good and gets plenty of the funniest lines, alongside Christopher Lee.

Given a choice between this strange self-referential wacky sequel and just a flatter rehash of the vibrant first film as one might expect from a typical sequel, there's no competition for me, I'm glad they went this route. It preserves the creativity and imagination while taking it in a new direction.

Recommended.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Week 1: The Unholy Trinity
  1. Rosemary's Baby
  2. The Omen (1976)
  3. The Exorcist
Week 2: Keeping It Classic
  1. The Phantom of the Opera (1925)*
  2. Cat People (1942)*
  3. Dead of Night (1945)*
  4. House of Wax (1953)*
  5. The Creature from the Black Lagoon*
  6. King Kong (1933)*
  7. Godzilla (1954)*
Week 3: Slasher Central
  1. Sisters (1973)*
  2. Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon*
  3. Peeping Tom*
  4. The Burning*
  5. Dressed to Kill (1980)*
  6. Prom Night (1980)*
  7. When A Stranger Calls (1979)*
Week 4: In Recent Years
  1. Tigers Are Not Afraid*
  2. Sputnik*
  3. Relic*
  4. Color Out of Space*
color-out-of-space-still8-1280px-1005x420.jpg

It's beautifully repulsive.
Color Out of Space is about a family living on a farm outside of city limits whom discovers a strange meteorite on their property. Afterwards, the family begins to undergo transformations in their attitudes and even in their outer appearance.

Body horror. There are some abominations created in this Lovecraftian inspired setting that'll make you squirm. The practical effects were necessary in order to turn this very unrealistic circumstance into a grounded experience. It's Event Horizon meets The Fly. Audiences may want to make sure they're not squeamish before taking this one on.

This movie is just plain gorgeous. The pink and purple blasted lights casting off of the countenances of each actor looks so entrancing that most will find themselves gazing at the colors, temporarily ignoring the plot onscreen. It's an unworldly mist that the characters should be more concerned about than they actually are.

Looking for some good new body horror this year? This one won't disappoint.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
AApuGeq.jpg

22. Starry Eyes (2014)

A woman's pursuit of Hollywood stardom puts her on a collision course with a satanic cult.

I really enjoyed this one. I was expecting this to be like Suspiria and it starts off similarly as such, then goes off in a complete different direction which blew me away. The acting isn't perfect but they got the casting right, the "elite" are pretty fucking creepy, the Big Taters boss was awesome and Alexandra Essoe puts on an impressive performance as the desperate wannabe starlet Sarah. Some of the effects are brutal and the last 30 minutes is what horror is all about. Recommended.

👻👻👻👻 out of 5
That final act goes so hard, it's crazy

Color Out of Space is about a family living on a farm outside of city limits whom discovers a strange meteorite on their property. Afterwards, the family begins to undergo transformations in their attitudes and even in their outer appearance.

Body horror. There are some abominations created in this Lovecraftian inspired setting that'll make you squirm. The practical effects were necessary in order to turn this very unrealistic circumstance into a grounded experience. It's Event Horizon meets The Fly. Audiences may want to make sure they're not squeamish before taking this one on.

This movie is just plain gorgeous. The pink and purple blasted lights casting off of the countenances of each actor looks so entrancing that most will find themselves gazing at the colors, temporarily ignoring the plot onscreen. It's an unworldly mist that the characters should be more concerned about than they actually are.

Looking for some good new body horror this year? This one won't disappoint.
Nic Cage's performance really hurt this for me, but the filmmaking style - a lot of quick edits, way too close camera, shadows - hide so much of the effects and body horror that much of the impact was lost IMO

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
They had that amazing llama creature in the barn but the scene spends more time on Cage hamming it up than on the actual effects work. Basically sums up the entire movie for me
Yeah, I get what they were going for since
he loved those alpacas so damn much they wanted to emphasize his reaction,
but I wasn't fond of his portrayal of that character. He was pretty annoying and awkward at times.

OP
OP
ThirstyFly

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017
CQgcIGz.jpg

20) Rawhead Rex (1986) [George Pavlou] (Oct 20)

An ancient god is awakened in the Irish countryside and goes on a destructive (and kind of adorable) rubber suit rampage.

Based on a Clive Barker story, Rawhead Rex is a cheaply made movie that clearly doesn't do the premise justice. It starts out with promise, the small Irish town setting is a nice change of pace, and the religion angle is fun, but then you see that gloriously awful Rawhead Rex suit and the unintentional laughs begin. The general tone of film is somewhat serious, but the whole thing is so silly and they unfortunately never go full cheese. They totally drop the ball with the nonsensical ending too.
And what's with all the awkward kissing scenes in the movie? There's so many scenes with people slobbering all over each other it's comical. At one point a someone is even watching a movie on TV, and of course the scene they're watching is a make out scene. It's so bizarre.

Overall, Rawhead Rex is worth a watch for some hilarious rubber monster tempter tantrums and some even funnier cursing, but don't go in expecting a good representation of Clive Barker's vision, or even a good movie.

Bad, but entertaining. 2.5 / 5

At least Rawhead Rex's failure helped bring us Clive Barker directing Hellraiser himself.

RedSonja

Oct 29, 2017
The Pit (1981)...what a weird little movie. Shoulder pads, lots of hair spray, troll things and a seriously weird little boy. Still trying to process it.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Week 1: The Unholy Trinity
  1. Rosemary's Baby
  2. The Omen (1976)
  3. The Exorcist
Week 2: Keeping It Classic
  1. The Phantom of the Opera (1925)*
  2. Cat People (1942)*
  3. Dead of Night (1945)*
  4. House of Wax (1953)*
  5. The Creature from the Black Lagoon*
  6. King Kong (1933)*
  7. Godzilla (1954)*
Week 3: Slasher Central
  1. Sisters (1973)*
  2. Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon*
  3. Peeping Tom*
  4. The Burning*
  5. Dressed to Kill (1980)*
  6. Prom Night (1980)*
  7. When A Stranger Calls (1979)*
Week 4: In Recent Years
  1. Tigers Are Not Afraid*
  2. Sputnik*
  3. Relic*
  4. Color Out of Space*
  5. La Llorona*
la-llorona-movie-review-2020.jpg

Not produced by James Wan, thankfully.​

La Llorona takes place in Guatemala, where a former general is court-martialed for genocide against the native people. His family is confined to his large estate due to angry protestors surrounding the property after his sentence is overturned. After the arrival of a new, mysterious housekeeper, the general and other members of the household begin to undergo abnormal experiences.

Everything happens for a reason in this film. Although not immediately apparent, the events that occur to each individual all end up making sense before the credits roll. It's cryptic without being too confusing; the creator's aren't trying to trick anyone, everything is presented in a natural way.

The setting is not entirely what you'd expect from a horror movie. It's like Dawn of the Dead, but replace the zombies surrounding the mall outside with living protestors. The protestors are made apparent throughout the entire film; you can hear them in the background in almost every scene while on the estate. At one point, I had to pause my TV because I thought I was hearing my neighbors outside. The filmmakers are able to make the most out of this forced seclusion of the cast The environment never feels claustrophobic or tiresome.

It's the best kind of ghost story. A breath of fresh air for this subgenre.

Oct 25, 2017
MV5BMzIxZjA2MzAtZTU5MS00N2FjLWI2NDQtNGMwYzQxMGE1NDlmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

40. Hellbound: Hellraiser 2 (1988)
So after only seeing bits and pieces of the later ones on TV over the years and watching the original last year, I decided to properly check out the second entry. I can see why people love the series and I'm glad I finally watched it but I don't think this series is for me. I'll probably check out the 3rd one but that will do it for me.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
The Pit (1981)...what a weird little movie. Shoulder pads, lots of hair spray, troll things and a seriously weird little boy. Still trying to process it.

One of the weirdest 80's Canadian movies I've ever seen.

Fun fact:

Sam Snyders gave up on pushing people into the pit, and is now a dance instructor.

normal_Dance_competition_ballroom_078.jpg

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
31 Days of Horror 2020: #26/31
Wishmaster (1997) - ★★★

qKUutVN.jpg

Everything in Wishmaster that's not Andrew Divoff or gonzo gore special effects is passably average for a slasher and a supernatural horror film. Everything in Wishmaster that is Andrew Divoff or gonzo gore special effects offers such hammy delights that the rest of the film becomes easier to sit though in anticipation.

The opening and finale of Wishmaster are exuberant displays of practical effects, beginning with a snakeman and ending with living statues slaughtering museum guards. Starting your film with a skeleton extracting itself from a man's body is going to be a hard act to follow, and Wishmaster never does top that moment. But the gory chaos is presented with such relish that we're rooting more for the evil Djinn than his victims. Certainly more than Tammy Lauren's extremely bland Alexandra. Every twisted wish is such a fun little set-piece, propelled by devilish dialogue and capped by some inventively ghoulish fate. Every line uttered from behind Divoff's viperous grin is slick with delicious evil. You watch Wishmaster to watch him (and the fantastic effects), and he crushes every single scene.

Learned afterwards that this has the same writer as Hellraiser 2, and now I'll just sit here imagining the the scenery-chewing possibilities of a Djinn v Pinhead movie.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Watched Body Melt because some dude here hyped it up to no end. Movie fucking sucks. It wants to be different so badly it hurts, has an obnoxious soundtrack throughout and there is no plot (not that I care, but there was nothing to hold on to here). That wouldn't be so bad if the gore was any good, but outside of maybe that first dude on the hood of his car the effects were pretty shitty. A waste of time.

I also finally watched Return to Nuke 'Em High Vol 1 and Return to Return to Nuke 'Em High AKA Vol 2. Now nobody will call any Troma film high art, but what I like about the better Troma films is the sheer insanity and high energy of it all. The plot is...I dunno, some bullshit and yes like Body Melt there's little to hold on to in that regard, but these films are so insane and over the top that it actually doesn't matter. You never know what the fuck is gonna pop up on screen next. Now unfortunately they lean on CG effects a bit too much, but there's plenty of physical gore to go around too.

I always love how visually dense Lloyd Kaufman's films are. Every scene every frame is packed with people doing things. His movies almost feel like parties, they feel so alive.

So in short: don't try to make sense of it and try and let it wash over you and you should have a blast if you like gory, un-pc over-the-top insanity-fests. I liked the second one more than the first btw, but really it's one big movie.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Watched Body Melt because some dude here hyped it up to no end. Movie fucking sucks. It wants to be different so badly it hurts, has an obnoxious soundtrack throughout and there is no plot (not that I care, but there was nothing to hold on to here). That wouldn't be so bad if the gore was any good, but outside of maybe that first dude on the hood of his car the effects were pretty shitty. A waste of time.
Necronomicon has a better body melt than anything in Body Melt (helps to have an all-star ensemble of special effects masters and the directing sensibilities of Brian Yuzna)

Last edited:

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Cool, I'll check it out, thanks.
Edited that post with the fixed title

It's a Lovecraftian anthology in the vein of Stuart Gordon-style horror. Jeffrey Combs plays HP Lovecraft himself. Brian Yuzna, Christophe Gans (Silent Hill, Brotherhood of the Wolf), Shusuke Kaneko (Gamera trilogy) direct. Brent V. Friedman (The Resurrected, Ticks) writes. And Tom Savini, Screaming Mad George, John Carl Buechler, Christopher Nelson are the practical effects dream team

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
How is Green Room? I remember hearing some buzz for it a few years back but never got around to it, and it's on Netflix now.

How is Green Room? I remember hearing some buzz for it a few years back but never got around to it, and it's on Netflix now.
Damn good. It's one of those films that the first act kinda lulls you into thinking that it's just about this struggling punk band having to settle for playing at a Nazi hangout in the middle of nowhere, and then it turns into an incredibly violent spin on Assault on Precinct 13, complete with a quietly sinister Patrick Stewart.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Green Room is one nasty thriller in the best possible way. The third act is a bit of a let down imo, but up until then it pulls zero punches. I was legit gripping the theater armrests most of the movie when I saw it lol.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
38. 47 Hours To Live (2019)

I was prepared for a generic teen gen z cell phone social commentary cheep spook story, and there's some of that, but the performances are pretty solid, the leads likeable and relateable. Solid ending too. Impressive for a rando

coma

Oct 28, 2017
First 31 films.

32. Martin (1977, George A. Romero) ★★★★

33. Santa Sangre (1989, Alejandro Jodorowsky) ★★★★★

Disturbing. Beautiul. Heartbreaking.

Pitcairn55

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Film 17Strange Behaviour aka Dead Kids

R6Swpre.png

Probably the most straightforwardly entertaining movie I've seen so far this month, this 1981 mad-science / revenge / mystery slasher is the story of a small American town beset by a series of gruesome murders. The trail soon leads to the science labs of the local college, and a series of strange experiments that are driving local teens to commit bloody murder.

It's muddled in places and frequently ridiculous, the acting is pretty bad and the ending is limp, but I just really liked it. There's some entertaining kills, interesting characters and a fantastic dance scene at a house party that I rewatched several times because I am a complete sucker for dance scenes, no matter how incongruous.

Film 18 – Zombie Creeping Flesh aka Hell of the Living Dead

p5Leh6d.jpg

This Romero rip-off, zombie apocalypse in the jungle effort has some good gore, a vaguely interesting set-up and a pleasingly bleak ending, but there's very little else to enjoy. The acting is terrible, the plot frequently adopts the haphazard shuffling pace of the zombies themselves and none of the characters are likeable. On top of that, there's a lot of stock jungle / wildlife footage clogging up the works, the dialogue is atrocious and leading lady Margit Evelyn Newton has a very annoying scream. She also features in quite possibly the stupidest nude scene I've ever witnessed, getting her kit off in order to blend in with one of the native tribes. Obviously being white is a bit of hurdle as far as blending in is concerned, but it's ok, she's somehow got make up/ paint on hand to colour her pale flesh in just the right exotic fashion to soothe the brutal savages. And naturally she can't just walk naked into the village, she has to jog bouncily in...

Verdict: mainly dull and occasionally sleazy rubbish, but the gore is definitely fun.

Film 19Stung

jNlfpns.jpg

An entertaining modern comic monster movie about giant parasitic wasps growing very quickly inside their (mostly) human hosts and bursting out messily at inconvenient moments. The leads are engaging enough to keep your interest throughout and whilst the film never made me laugh it did make me smile quite a bit. Sadly, while a lot of the sfx are great, the giant flying wasp CGI is not even vaguely convincing, and the movie features an uncharacteristically half-assed performance from Lance Henriksen. Still fun though, and I'm glad I watched it.

Film 20Satan's Blade

f2Ie0c4.png

Considering the terrible acting, unpolished script and complete lack of tension or suspense, this 80s slasher is far more entertaining than it has any right to be. The main reason it succeeds is a twisty plot that refuses to stick to the standard genre cliches, some great snowy cabin in the woods scenery and a fabulous synth / piano score. Given a tighter script, a bigger budget and some much better actors, this tale of a cursed knife causing homicidal mania in any who hold it might have been genuinely great. Even as it stands there's pleasure to be had here, especially if you're willing to embrace the basic amateurishness of proceedings. Personally I found spotting things like a corpse very obviously blinking just added to the fun.

Films I've watched so far

Last edited:

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Just a heads up if anybody wants to knock off two flicks in one night, Joe Bob's Halloween Hideaway will be airing tonight on Shudder.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Day 23 - Ring, 1998 (NEW)

n9Cek7W.gif

I dug this one a lot! The fact that the film (or, at least, the American remake of the film) has seeped so far into pop culture made it pretty unscary, but it's just a really great ride. The core mystery is engaging, and they unravel it at a good pace. The characters are pretty one-note, but are enough to carry things forward. It's just fun. I particularly loved the "I copied it!" twist at the end - but my immediate reaction was that she copied the ghost, creating a duplicate that isn't necessarily tied to the physical body of Sadako, which frankly would be a MUCH better sequel hook than the "pass it along like an STD" bit.

I particularly loved the analog nature of the whole thing. "Memetic horror" has taken off more in the internet age, but Ring is pleasingly physical, even with cell phones about. VHS tapes, tube TVs, wired phones, newspapers, books, photographs... it makes the movie, and Sadako, sort of grounded. I don't think a purely digital urban legend would hit quite the same way.

My only question is... where the fuck do you go with the sequels? There's two branching paths? Both of them seem to have kind of an iffy reception? And they both have their own separate sequel series? And then there's a crossover movie, and a prequel? Maybe I'll try Rasen AND Ring 2 and compare/contrast...

WEEK 1 - 100 Years of Horror
Dr. Caligari, The Golem, Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde | Bonus: Häxan

WEEK 2 - Creature Features
Dracula, Dracula's Daughter, Son of Dracula, Frankenstein & Bride of Frankenstein, Son of Frankenstein, The Mummy, The Invisible Man & The Invisible Man Returns | Bonus: The Invisible Man

WEEK 3 - In Living(?) Color
The Curse of Frankenstein, Dracula, The Mummy, The War of the Gargantuas, Rosemary's Baby, Suspiria & House | Bonus: The Love Witch

WEEK 4 - Blood, Guts, and Videotape
Videodrome, Hellbound: Hellraiser II, Cronos, Funny Games, Ring

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
19. At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul (1964)
Marins_poster5.jpg

Or "Jose Marica Marins is an asshole for an hour and a half". Marins plays Zé do Caixão (or "Coffin Joe" in English speaking countries), a sadistic debauched mortician who terrorizes his small Brazilian town with violence, rape and murder. Joe is Hyde without the Jekyll, a twisted power fantasy who gleefully ignores societal norms and all sense of good taste in order to act out his every fantasy. He believes the only true path to immortality is to sire a son, and he'll do anything to get it. Admittedly the film struggles to remain compelling as it drifts from one atrocity to another, but Marins' dark charisma mixed with senses shattering sequences of terror and brutality really make this film.

Last edited:

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I got around to watching Dark Water last night.

Not as spooky as I thought it was going to be but i really, really enjoyed it. There's just something about Japanese horror films that do it for me. There is so much heart and care put into these films. What a tragic story. I damn near started crying at the end. I can't recall that last time I got emotional while watching a horror film. Great flick. Highly recommended. This was the same person who made the Ringu series. For those who have not seen the Japanese Ringu or Ju'on: The Grudge, I highly recommend both as well. A lot was lost in the American remakes. These are amazing films that deserve your attention.

Oct 25, 2017
Same here, doesn't deserve to be in the same category as Brain Dead (Dead Alive), what a waste of an afternoon. biggest piece of shit I've seen in a while.

RedSonja

Oct 29, 2017
its great. as someone posted earlier, you get to see Picard do naughty things.

great flick that is solid throughout, I don't think it faltered at all in the final act.

Agree totally with this. It's the the same director that did Blue Ruin, I think, and that's a really good film too. Watch it after Green Room if you get the chance.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Day 23 - Ring 2, 1999 (NEW)

TXP9qJ3.gif

I had an extra couple hours and was in the mood so fuck it, Ring 2. May try Rasen at some point, but it seems like less of a direct sequel so it's down the line.

Some movies have good ideas, but just end up executed sloppily. Ring 2 has (mostly) bad ideas, executed boringly. It mostly gives up on the mystery/sleuthing angle of the first, trying it for a focus on parapsychology that just leaves the film feeling unfocused. The cast is even less dynamic than in the first, and some plot choices are pretty baffling. And, aesthetically, it just feels worse overall.

It's not without some bright spots; pretty much everything with Sadako's grandfather is interesting, for example. And I think it's scarier than the first in a lot of ways. But it mostly just feels like untapped potential.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
e17473d68e8b0f15043c0cbdb3fcf4cb.jpg

23. Viy (1967)

A young priest is ordered to preside over the wake of witch in a small old wooden church of a remote village. This means spending three nights alone with the corpse with only his faith to protect him.

I was rather impressed with this late 60's Soviet horror film. It is beautifully shot for it's time, very colorful and the set pieces are a feast for the eyes. It's in Russian, but the humor caries over through subtitles and there is just a lot of charm. There is a religious overtone, we're dealing with a lot of priests here. But the end of the movie really shines, with ghasts and ghouls and more conjured up and seeking revenge.

👻👻👻 out of 5

I can't get over how well it looks for it's age, so here are some screens:

VIY-bway.jpg

viy3.jpg

eL0iHcjMoQnm1YUk47VnNwjOwwN7gUQRB-LbkjawAyxtWGCDR-VsThHoeLDeBgUEfFMCbuCH-SXKvCu3nz23D9f0TMxVBEl9klcHVp1cWzV3c5AbaVw8cEXZCaeFYpodCy1ikvp_xNiyghKHNG1t9Azz8aYvEwb-UvHIFchWVU9jxjhU8lfOCWbTtrOTsMlgbaOUoiWWOxA-rV_ke4B5_EqxNUd8YU39l3UO_BBErOUewPHVMWd_KJZykmqmovwVoW11RXMTDCbEjzdTtiNBRLf1DDK_oQ

BaraSailey

Oct 25, 2017
25. Poltergeist II: The Other Side (1986) - Well this was awful. Really a great example of a sequel that had no reason to be made (other than to make money). The preacher guy was slightly creepy I guess, and the acting was fine across the board; that's really the only positive points I can think of.

Full list so far in spoilers:

1. House (1977) - This was quite the fever dream of a film. The editing was really unique and entertaining, and I feel a lot of the choices in editing made me enjoy the film much more than I would've otherwise. It was strange, comical, and very memorable.
2. Eyes Without a Face (1960) - This was a film I'd been meaning to watch for a while, and I really enjoyed it. I feel black and white really suited this, and color would have been a detriment, especially during the surgery scene. The mask also looked wonderfully creepy, and the mad-doctor-trying-to-fix-his-daughter plot was simple but really good.
3. The Brood (1979) - This was a solid film. The ending scenes really saved it for me even though I felt the child actress that played the daughter was a bit weak. The army of mutated children that just killed anyone based on Nola's rage were pretty creepy. I kept thinking about Don't Look Now whenever I saw them. The small amounts of body horror mixed in, especially at the climax, were well done.
4. Scanners (1981) - I decided to have a small Cronenberg marathon Friday night. I had only seen Videodrome before now, which I really liked, so I decided to watch more of his work. Scanners was definitely more sci-fi than horror, but like in The Brood there was some body horror mixed in. As a sci-fi film I enjoyed this, but as a horror movie both Videodrome and The Brood were far better.
5. Eraserhead (1997) - This was surreal. Definitely oozing David Lynch's style. I feel like I might have to watch this again sometime to really figure out how I truly feel about it. There was a lot going on and a lot to take in. It seemed to be about fear of parenthood, but I feel like there may be more to it than just that.
6. The Thing (1982) - I'm a big fan of John Carpenter, and this is my favorite movie I've watched so far for this marathon. There were so many memorable scenes and the creature effects were phenomenal. The isolation of the setting, as well as trying to figure out who was no longer human made for a suspenseful and fun watch.
7. The Binding (2020) - This was just very average and forgettable. It's your basic evil-entity-tries-to-take-over-a-kid-and-the-family-has-to-save-them story. It did surprise me with some red herrings since the original direction I thought the film was going was slightly different. It was competent. I really don't have much to say about this one. I didn't hate it but it was nothing special.
8. Witchboard (1986) - This was also pretty average, but I enjoyed the fact it was a ouija board story that centered around adults and not teens or children. This really didn't have much going for it other than that though. The characters were very stereotypical, but there was a bromance aspect going on that I thought was kind of fun. I wish there had been more campy deaths though, since the spirit killed people with a hatchet.
9. The Loved Ones (2009) - Tonight was a night of re-watches, starting with this little Australian gem. Filled with dark humor and some pretty messed up torture, I still really enjoyed this film after years removed from seeing it.
10. Excision (2012) - This film I have mixed feelings on. The performance by the lead actress is great, and the dark humor and plot itself I think make for an interesting film. Like Akumatica I also feel like the ending is unearned. Shit goes from 0-100 with how crazy this girl is and explodes in the ending scene. It would definitely be a stronger, shocking finale if she had shown herself or her visions becoming more and more extreme (though her fantasies/dreams were pretty messed up, but she barely acted on anything until the end).
11. Fright Night (1985) - This was a fun little flick! I love the 80's aesthetic, and I enjoyed the fake TV vampire hunter the main character hunted down to help him; I thought that was a really fun idea. The effects were also pretty solid. Overall a fun film, of course not very scary though.
12. The Final Girls (2015) - This had some fun moments. I enjoy movies that play on slasher tropes and this movie's plot was full on that. The final fight I didn't love just cause it was so over the top, but overall I thought it was a fun little film.
13. Annabelle Comes Home (2019) - A rewatch for me. I enjoy this movie as a sort of haunted house attraction type film. You have different ghosts and demons throughout different parts of the movie and the main characters go from dealing with one thing to the next. It's simple fun but nothing special.
14. Crimson Peak (2015) - Another rewatch, but I haven't seen this since it came out. Definitely not a scary film, but an enjoyable and atmospheric Gothic romance with a touch of the supernatural.
15. Puppet Master (1989) - This gave me some Child's Play vibes, but I mean any movie with a killer doll/puppet that runs around makes me think of that. I really enjoyed the different puppets and watching them kill off the cast; not sure if it's something I'd watch again though.
16. The Mothman Prophecies (2002) - This was more of a thriller than a horror film and I honestly did not like it. I debated turning it off halfway through but I wanted to give the full movie a chance. I did and it was definitely meh.
17. Nocturne (2020) - This is one of the four movies Blumhouse released on Amazon this month. I actually quite liked this film. It reminded me of Starry Eyes, which is another horror film in a similar vein about the pressures of being in a competitive arts field. This isn't a particually scary film or anything; it's more of a drama with a small supernatural element to it. It was way better than I expected, given it was a Blumhouse film that went straight to Amazon Prime.
18. Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986) - I've never been big on Friday the 13th; there's not a lot of substance in the series (not that there has to be, I just prefer movies like Halloween and A Nightmare on Elm Street when it comes to slashers). I enjoyed the watch overall -- it was a campy teen horror flick, though I doubt I'll revisit it.
19. Wishmaster (1997) - I enjoyed all the special effects and body horror that was prominent in this film; it looked great and there was some pretty disturbing stuff in it. The plot was okay, but I wasn't too invested in that aspect.
20. Swallow (2019) - This is more of a psychological drama than pure horror, but I definitely felt a bit squeamish seeing the stuff the main character decided to swallow. Really good movie overall with a lot to explore involving the main character's struggles. It also was a stylish, well shot, and gorgeous film aesthetically.
21. Society (1989) - Another body horror film, but this time about the rich literally feeding on the lower class. This won me over with how crazy the ending section was.
22. Hell House LLC 2: The Abaddon Hotel (2018) - I had no idea they made a sequel to the original Hell House LLC (which was just an okay horror film) but oh man this was completely unneeded. Some of the acting was pretty awful, and I don't remember having that complaint about the first. It wasn't the worst thing I've ever watched but I wouldn't recommend it.
23. Sleepy Hollow (1999) - I hadn't seen this in years and it was an enjoyable rewatch. I enjoy Tim Burton's style most of the time (minus those Alice in Wonderland movies), and though this isn't quite a scary film I think it's a nice gothic horror story. Overall it's a fun, stylish take on the story of the headless horseman.
24. The Blackcoat's Daughter (2015) - A rewatch for me, but a nice and creepy revisit overall. I really enjoy the way the story of this film unravels itself; I love a good slow burn horror film and this is definitely one of them.

beloved freak

Oct 27, 2017
Going back in time with a pair of classics for my next double feature. Admittedly I'm not big on old school black and white films, but I thought it would be nice to change things up.

#23 - Carnival of Souls

giphy.gif

Carnival of Souls holds up quite well despite being almost 60 years old, displaying some effectively nightmarish imagery. The scenes with the creepy ghost people were great. The sound design is nice - the parts that are mostly muted save for some spooky music were well done. Great stuff, enjoyed this one a lot.

#23.5 - House on Haunted Hill

giphy.gif

House on Haunted Hill was a fun time, a campy movie capitalized by a nice performance from Vincent Price. Some fun twists, this film didn't really go the way I was expecting. That scare with the old lady was pretty good. Skeleton scene was goofy (was that scary back in the 50s?).

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017

22. The Fog (1980)
BbWxBsB.jpg

The movie is really strong at selling you the atmosphere and the feeling of dread. And I really appreciate how it went out of its way to sell you on which time period it's taking place which made this movie feels pretty close to an 80's period piece. Sadly, those are the only good that it has going for it. The story is pretty thin and become contrived in the 3rd act, the characters are one dimensional and there were hardly any scares. Nevertheless, I adore how confidence this movie is by doing more showing than telling in the beginning.

3.5/5