Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Currently just making my way through the first season of Into the Dark. It's not bad per se, but so far much of these films just seem like they were not quite made for TV, but were also not theater caliber either. Only through the first five films, but so far the only standout has been Pooka. Which unfortunately, I saw the ending from a mile away.

25. Wes Cravens New Nightmare

Gage from Pet Sematary and Nancy team up to fight Nightmare Freddy in this extremely meta entry. Honestly this is the best Nightmare on Elm Street since Dream Warriors. I enjoy seeing everyone try to portray fictional versions of themselves, and the idea of what makes Freddy in this world is really clever

9/10

Yep. For me, it's the first, third and this. In that order. The rest are all varying degrees of watchable, but none of them come close to those three.

The Blob (1988). How did I ever miss this? Good, solid 80's horror!

That's one of the better horror remakes.

Watched I Saw the Devil and Terrified tonight. A foreign double feature.

I very much like I Saw the Devil. What a fucking ride that thing was. My god.

Wish I could see it again for the first time. Korean horror has been some of the best of the last decade, while also surprisingly sparse with releases (in the US at least). Quality over quantity I suppose. Technically, this particular film though sits on that grey line between actual horror and thriller I think.

Last edited:

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
21. Duvidha (1973)
Not really a horror film but it has a ghost in it and I'm running behind the schedule so it will have to do. Duvidha is Indian arthouse ghost story based on a folk tale. The film is very much a mood piece with deliberate framing, lot of voiceover and some chrismarkeresque use of still frames. Not really the film for me. 6/10

22. House of 1000 Corpses (2003)
First of Rob Zombie's horror trilogy about the murderous Firefly family. Frankly the film is a bit of a mess. The build-up before the murdering starts happening is probably the best part of the film with some wonderful acting by Sid Haig but the film gets lets interesting as it moves along. Still I would say its a better movie than its reputation would suggest. 6/10

23. The Beast (1975)
This film by Walerian Borowczyk tells the viewer right from the bat what kind of film they are going to see by opening with a long scene of two horses making love with lots of way too many close ups on various organs. The actual plot of the film involves an arranged marriage in a French mansion that has a secret. I don't think I have seen anything quite like this film. It's like an erotic horror fairy tale comedy. Also it's actually quite good. 8/10

24. The Raven (1935)
Another Poe adaptation that has nothing to do with the original text starring Bela Lugosi and Boris Karloff. Very over the top horror melodrama with plenty of opportunities for Lugosi and Karloff (especially the former) to ham it up. Entertaining but no masterpiece. 7/10

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Day 1. Ghostbusters.★★★½
Day 2. Zombieland 2. ★★½
Day 3. Aliens. ★★★★
Day 4. Get Out. ★★★★
Day 5. Midsommar. ★★★★
Day 6. Beetlejuice.★★★★
Day 7. Hagazussa. ★★★
Day 8. Night of the Living Dead. ★★
Day 9. Ghostbusters 2. ★★★½
Day 10. Alien. ★★★★½
Day 11. Pan's Labyrinth.★★★★½
Day 12. Sleepy Hollow. ★★★½
Day 13. Suspiria (1977). ★★★
Day 14. Annihilation.★★★★
Day 15. Wickerman (1973). ★★★★
Day 16. Shaun of the Dead. ★★★★½
Day 17. IT (2017) ★★★½
Day 18. The Addams Family.★★★★½
Day 19. Addams Family Values.★★★★
Day 20. Hereditary. ★★★★
Day 21. La Llorona. ★★★
Day 22. Cabin in the Woods. ★★★½
Day 23. Onibaba. ★★★½
Day 24. What We Do in the Shadows. ★★★★½

Day 25. Ringu. ★★★★

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 24.

39. Cabin Fever (2016)

This is the version of Cabin Fever I had expected but was denied back in 02

Gone is the shitty comedy that came unadvertised in 02.

This one is mean and gnarly

Nothing special plot or ingenuity wise but some good effects and a mostly mean tone. Still too much back woods yokeling though

It's probably ultimately massively inferior to the 02 version but I hated the comedy in the original

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
1-15
16-20

21: The Vast of Night (2019) ★★★
A well shot, well acted, interresting take on the classic 50's alien invasion movies.

22: It Follows (2014) ★★★★
Wow this was good, and scary, and creepy and, to me at least, original. One of the best horror movies in the past 20 years.

23: Suspiria (Rewatch, 1977) ★★★★
Still as creepy and unsetteling as the first time i watched it. And beautiful to look at.

24: Sinister (Rewatch, 2012) ★★
Remembering liking this alot, but as i rewatched it, the story is exciting while the scare are ruined by jump scares. The atmospheric super 8 scenes does the job and are disturbing enought, but the jump scares ruins the movie for me.

25: Sleepy Hollow (Rewatch, 1999) ★★★★
Visualy a masterpiece and entertaining as all hell. I know it's not the real Sleepy Hollow story, but it works really well. Atmospheric, beautiful and even gory.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
23. Mon Mon Mon Monsters (2017)

A Taiwanese film about this kid and his bullies finding and capturing one of these two monsters they encounter, and it is one of those who really are the monsters in this case. The bullies are portrayed as being absolute piece of shits, that somehow gets away with things, and even the kid himself, who ends up being part of the group, starts becoming a "monster" himself, realizing that by the end. It is a pretty enjoyable flick that has a pretty fitting ending with some good ass karma, and even one of the most gut wrenching death I seen this month. There is bit of a humor edge to it also that is kind of weird, like some farting moments lol.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
59. Night of the Lepus (1972): A hilariously dumb movie. People need to get off their high horse and admit The Birds is not much less ridiculous than this yet it's considered one of the greatest horror movies. 2/5

60. Creature from the Haunted Sea (1961):
Campy horror movie with a quirky sense of humor but it also treats women and Latino/a characters VERY poorly. 1.5/5

61. The Killer Shrews (1959):
Dogs in rat costumes!!! 1/5

62. Suspiria (2018):
This is better than the original in every way except color. I don't care what critics think. 4/5

63. Gremlins (1984):
Not as fun as I remember it being. It has its moments but overall not so great. 2.5/5

64. The Black Cat (1934):
A fun little movie that pits the two greatest horror legends of the time against each other. 3/5

65. Coraline (2009):
One of the most beautiful looking animated movies I've ever seen. It feels like a modern day Alice in Wonderland. Strikes the right balance of fun, adventure, mystery and dread for a dark children's fairy tale. 4/5

66. Young Frankenstein (1974):
A wonderful homage to classic horror movies. It's very funny (especially early on) and it looks very good for a comedy as well. Gene Wilder, Madeline Kahn, Peter Boyle and Marty Feldman were all perfect for their roles. The casting was spot on and I can't believe Gene Hackman was in this and I never realized until now. 4/5

67. The Fly (1986):
Probably the best and most horrifying transformation movie. The effects are so impressive and truly gross. Jeff Goldblum nailed every phase of his character and the changes he goes through. This is one horror movie that really makes me feel the horror of what's happening at a molecular level. Cronenberg's body horror never topped this from what I've seen.
4/5

68. Carrie (1976):
This horror classic is so beautifully shot with so much style. The soft look to the whole movie makes it feel like a dream. It's got the usual DePalma camera peeping on women issues. The soundtrack is so great and at times very off putting. Spacek is iconic here. The remake had none of the style and feeling. It's also the earliest major movie I can think of dealing with the issue of bullying and its consequences so directly. If you think about it, the ending of the prom is a magic/horror movie equivalent of a school shooting. 4/5

69. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920):
Don't think I'm ever going to understand the obsession of critics and film buffs with this movie. Chaplin, Sunrise, Joan of Arc, Nosferatu, Metropolis, Safety Last! are all better than this. I can appreciate the style, costumes and sets. 2.5/5

70. Us (2019):
A very timely commentary on class oppression and warfare. The way things are heading in the west with the wealth disparity, the underclass will rise up. This is better on the second watch because you're not spending your time trying to figure out what's going on and you can take in more of the movie. How did Nyong'o not get an Oscar nomination for this?
4/5

71. The Silence of the Lambs (1991):
For how little time Anthony Hopkins as Hanninal Lecter has on screen he created quite a cultural impact. He may be the ultimate serial killer character in movie history. The presentation of the position of the female main character in a male dominated world is well done without seeming preachy. It does contain the offensive trans psycho killer trope though. A very well directed movie with great use of camera positioning. It also has top notch tension building.
4/5

72. Jaws (1975):
I usually dislike movies about animals hunting people but this is the best of the genre. It's just better made with a lot more depth to it. The parallels between the Trump administration's handling of covid-19 and the mayor's handling of the shark situation are hard to miss (minimizing, ignoring, wishful thinking and putting money ahead of lives). One of my favorite scenes is when the educated scientist and the expert fisherman are competing in manliness and scars, the police chief checks his own scar and decides not to show it off because he's not trying to prove anything like the other two. A great window into all three characters.
4/5

73. CAM (2018):
Good premise and build up but it felt like it didn't go anywhere after a while. There was no real payoff. Felt like an episode of lost: more questions at the end and no answers. 2/5

74. The Endless (2017):
What a great premise and it pulls it off relatively well. I understand why they had a Lovecraft quote in the beginning, his work is a huge influence on this movie. Beyond that it asks some good questions on time, the meaning of life and if we are just repeating the same day over and over again most of the time.
3.5/5

75. It Comes at Night (2017):
This is one brutal, grim movie that doesn't pull its punches and presents no silver linings and that's ok because sometimes there aren't any. This feels more relevant in 2020 in a Covid world than when it came out in 2017. 3.5/5

76. Gerald's Game (2017):
This movie has a good premise but fails to deliver. It didn't work super well in general but the epilogue seriously diminished from the whole thing drastically. Leave some mystery in your movies! Dumb detailed explanations like this one at the end don't add anything but subtract. God awful ending.
1.5/5

77. The Invitation (2015):
There is such a thing as healthy rational levels of paranoia. When someone you haven't seen in a long time invites you to dinner and the main subject is joining a cult? Red flag. When all the doors and windows are locking you in? Red flag. When the initiation of the cult is a video of someone dying? Red flag. When a large stranger tells you they murdered their wife and they don't feel guilty about it? Red flag.

They built up for so long with so many false starts to the danger that before it finally happened I seriously started considering maybe it's all a red herring and the story is supposed to be about the main character's mental illness. So when it finally happened it was anticlimactic and long overdue.
2.5/5

78. Dawn of the Dead (1978):
Fun zombie mall hijinks. It doesn't take itself as seriously as Day of the Dead or Night of the Living Dead and that is to its benefit. The best location to shelter in an apocalypse is a working mall. This movie REALLY made me wanna play Dead Rising.
3/5

79. Day of the Dead (1985):
Great make up and special effects, awesome soundtrack, cheesy dialogue and a lot of overacting. Very 80s. 2/5

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Day 25 - Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island, 1998 (NEW)

1XV8luP.gif

Kind of whiplash going from Rob Zombie to Scooby-Doo, but Zombie Island popped up on Netflix a little while back and I knew I wanted to give it a rewatch at some point this October. It holds up pretty well, all things considered - animation has its ups and downs, dialogue is corny, but the core mystery is a lot of fun. The twists and turns (ghosts, zombies, voodoo, cat people...) keep it engaging, even if you know the story - and having watched it more times than I can count on Cartoon Network back in the day, I still remembered just about every scene, beat for beat.

Looking back, the late 90s and early 00s were a renaissance for Scooby-Doo, and Zombie Island is definitely the high water mark for that era. I remember it having a lot of cultural cache when I was a kid that's faded nowadays. I really should check out Mystery Incorporated at some point...

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
24. Fright Night (1985)

Welcome to Fright Night! For real.

Fright Night is a pretty fun ride as a kid is trying to figure out how to deal with his vampire neighbor. It is funny, bit scary, has really good acting (particularly Chris Sarandon and Roddy McDowall), and some pretty good effects. Overall just a cool vampire, who is hot and overconfident, with the vampire form being on the monstrous side.

beloved freak

Oct 27, 2017
#25 - Kwaidan

giphy.gif

Rather lengthy and slow paced, Kwaidan may not be for everyone but I found it to be a brilliant, masterfully crafted film.

Such a visually striking film; there are some breathtaking moments throughout. The scene with all the ghosts in the 3rd episode was fantastic. The sound design is just phenomenal - terrifying in "The Woman of the Snow", downright beautiful in "Hoichi the Earless". What an experience. Loved it.

BaraSailey

Oct 25, 2017
29. Cadaver (2020) - This had a lot of style but very little substance when you break everything down. The visuals were great, but this wasn't a very scary film by any means. I think this had some interesting ideas, but the execution was lacking for me.
30. Maniac (1980) - A lot of gore but nothing else here really stood out to me. I feel like the characters were barely developed and there was barely a plot.

Full list so far in spoilers:

1. House (1977) - This was quite the fever dream of a film. The editing was really unique and entertaining, and I feel a lot of the choices in editing made me enjoy the film much more than I would've otherwise. It was strange, comical, and very memorable.
2. Eyes Without a Face (1960) - This was a film I'd been meaning to watch for a while, and I really enjoyed it. I feel black and white really suited this, and color would have been a detriment, especially during the surgery scene. The mask also looked wonderfully creepy, and the mad-doctor-trying-to-fix-his-daughter plot was simple but really good.
3. The Brood (1979) - This was a solid film. The ending scenes really saved it for me even though I felt the child actress that played the daughter was a bit weak. The army of mutated children that just killed anyone based on Nola's rage were pretty creepy. I kept thinking about Don't Look Now whenever I saw them. The small amounts of body horror mixed in, especially at the climax, were well done.
4. Scanners (1981) - I decided to have a small Cronenberg marathon Friday night. I had only seen Videodrome before now, which I really liked, so I decided to watch more of his work. Scanners was definitely more sci-fi than horror, but like in The Brood there was some body horror mixed in. As a sci-fi film I enjoyed this, but as a horror movie both Videodrome and The Brood were far better.
5. Eraserhead (1997) - This was surreal. Definitely oozing David Lynch's style. I feel like I might have to watch this again sometime to really figure out how I truly feel about it. There was a lot going on and a lot to take in. It seemed to be about fear of parenthood, but I feel like there may be more to it than just that.
6. The Thing (1982) - I'm a big fan of John Carpenter, and this is my favorite movie I've watched so far for this marathon. There were so many memorable scenes and the creature effects were phenomenal. The isolation of the setting, as well as trying to figure out who was no longer human made for a suspenseful and fun watch.
7. The Binding (2020) - This was just very average and forgettable. It's your basic evil-entity-tries-to-take-over-a-kid-and-the-family-has-to-save-them story. It did surprise me with some red herrings since the original direction I thought the film was going was slightly different. It was competent. I really don't have much to say about this one. I didn't hate it but it was nothing special.
8. Witchboard (1986) - This was also pretty average, but I enjoyed the fact it was a ouija board story that centered around adults and not teens or children. This really didn't have much going for it other than that though. The characters were very stereotypical, but there was a bromance aspect going on that I thought was kind of fun. I wish there had been more campy deaths though, since the spirit killed people with a hatchet.
9. The Loved Ones (2009) - Tonight was a night of re-watches, starting with this little Australian gem. Filled with dark humor and some pretty messed up torture, I still really enjoyed this film after years removed from seeing it.
10. Excision (2012) - This film I have mixed feelings on. The performance by the lead actress is great, and the dark humor and plot itself I think make for an interesting film. Like Akumatica I also feel like the ending is unearned. Shit goes from 0-100 with how crazy this girl is and explodes in the ending scene. It would definitely be a stronger, shocking finale if she had shown herself or her visions becoming more and more extreme (though her fantasies/dreams were pretty messed up, but she barely acted on anything until the end).
11. Fright Night (1985) - This was a fun little flick! I love the 80's aesthetic, and I enjoyed the fake TV vampire hunter the main character hunted down to help him; I thought that was a really fun idea. The effects were also pretty solid. Overall a fun film, of course not very scary though.
12. The Final Girls (2015) - This had some fun moments. I enjoy movies that play on slasher tropes and this movie's plot was full on that. The final fight I didn't love just cause it was so over the top, but overall I thought it was a fun little film.
13. Annabelle Comes Home (2019) - A rewatch for me. I enjoy this movie as a sort of haunted house attraction type film. You have different ghosts and demons throughout different parts of the movie and the main characters go from dealing with one thing to the next. It's simple fun but nothing special.
14. Crimson Peak (2015) - Another rewatch, but I haven't seen this since it came out. Definitely not a scary film, but an enjoyable and atmospheric Gothic romance with a touch of the supernatural.
15. Puppet Master (1989) - This gave me some Child's Play vibes, but I mean any movie with a killer doll/puppet that runs around makes me think of that. I really enjoyed the different puppets and watching them kill off the cast; not sure if it's something I'd watch again though.
16. The Mothman Prophecies (2002) - This was more of a thriller than a horror film and I honestly did not like it. I debated turning it off halfway through but I wanted to give the full movie a chance. I did and it was definitely meh.
17. Nocturne (2020) - This is one of the four movies Blumhouse released on Amazon this month. I actually quite liked this film. It reminded me of Starry Eyes, which is another horror film in a similar vein about the pressures of being in a competitive arts field. This isn't a particually scary film or anything; it's more of a drama with a small supernatural element to it. It was way better than I expected, given it was a Blumhouse film that went straight to Amazon Prime.
18. Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986) - I've never been big on Friday the 13th; there's not a lot of substance in the series (not that there has to be, I just prefer movies like Halloween and A Nightmare on Elm Street when it comes to slashers). I enjoyed the watch overall -- it was a campy teen horror flick, though I doubt I'll revisit it.
19. Wishmaster (1997) - I enjoyed all the special effects and body horror that was prominent in this film; it looked great and there was some pretty disturbing stuff in it. The plot was okay, but I wasn't too invested in that aspect.
20. Swallow (2019) - This is more of a psychological drama than pure horror, but I definitely felt a bit squeamish seeing the stuff the main character decided to swallow. Really good movie overall with a lot to explore involving the main character's struggles. It also was a stylish, well shot, and gorgeous film aesthetically.
21. Society (1989) - Another body horror film, but this time about the rich literally feeding on the lower class. This won me over with how crazy the ending section was.
22. Hell House LLC 2: The Abaddon Hotel (2018) - I had no idea they made a sequel to the original Hell House LLC (which was just an okay horror film) but oh man this was completely unneeded. Some of the acting was pretty awful, and I don't remember having that complaint about the first. It wasn't the worst thing I've ever watched but I wouldn't recommend it.
23. Sleepy Hollow (1999) - I hadn't seen this in years and it was an enjoyable rewatch. I enjoy Tim Burton's style most of the time (minus those Alice in Wonderland movies), and though this isn't quite a scary film I think it's a nice gothic horror story. Overall it's a fun, stylish take on the story of the headless horseman.
24. The Blackcoat's Daughter (2015) - A rewatch for me, but a nice and creepy revisit overall. I really enjoy the way the story of this film unravels itself; I love a good slow burn horror film and this is definitely one of them.
25. Poltergeist II: The Other Side (1986) - Well this was awful. Really a great example of a sequel that had no reason to be made (other than to make money). The preacher guy was slightly creepy I guess, and the acting was fine across the board; that's really the only positive points I can think of.
26. Carnival of Souls (1962) - For it's age, this film stands up rather well. It's incredible what quality was accomplished with such a small budget here. I really enjoyed the ballroom scene with the ghosts especially, it was eerie and really stuck with me.
27. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986) - This was quite a departure from the feel of the first movie. This almost felt like a parody of a horror movie at times, and some of the more over the top aspects of the film I really enjoyed. A fun ride from start to finish.
28. House of 1000 Corpses (2003) - This film was a rewatch for me. It feels almost like an homage to Texas Chainsaw Massacre with the shared story element of a family of maniacs living in a secluded area. Overall I think this film is a fine, fun, gory haunted house attraction of a horror movie.

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
#24. Unsane - If healthcare in America wasn't already fucked up, imagine a psychiatric institution forcing you to stay just so they can make money off your insurance to meet a quota. That would already be pretty scary but the woman we follow in this story also has to deal with her stalker getting a job at the same hospital. It's a pretty gripping movie and the lead actress is great even though I was sure it was Emily Blunt when I clicked on the Amazon Prime video. It's not but if you need your famous actor fix, there is a very random two minute cameo in the middle of the movie. The film has a very grimy feel to it while the sets are bland to an almost creepy level. Recommended.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Wish I could see it again for the first time. Korean horror has been some of the best of the last decade, while also surprisingly sparse with releases (in the US at least). Quality over quantity I suppose. Technically, this particular film though sits on that grey line between actual horror and thriller I think.

I just recently watched Train to Busan and plan on watching The Wailing shortly.

I liked Train to Busan but
I was incredibly pissed at how many people the CEO killed. His demise was so fucking unsatisfying it drove me nuts. That soured me a bit. Also some of the deaths were absurdly dramatized with the swelling music and such. Solid flick tho.

Deleted member 1265

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
38/31 films

Here's what I watched in week 3.

oTUhDfq.png

27. Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning (1985) - 3.5/5

becoming more and more unrepentant in finding this the best in the series behind only the first two films. catch me in 2024 when i just go full in and decide this is my favorite in general.

28. Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986) - 3/5

...and i've reached the halfway point of the box set.

it sure was Jason Lives. this rewatch was similar to the recent one of Part III on two levels. this shares the fun factor of that film and it grew on me compared to some of my previous viewings.

it still isn't a favorite but i'll take it.

29. Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood (1988) - 3/5

the lack of chemistry between Tina and Nick always makes me scream.

for all the problems that it has with lack of solid support characters or MPAA hack jobs, there's something like my favorite Friday score, the best iteration of zombie/undead Jason, plus Tina and her powers.

i appreciate how this feels a bit darker in the midst of the more comedic entries that make up the latter parts of the franchise.

30. Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan (1989) - 3/5

still at it with this box set. might be slowing down a bit since it goes to hell from here, quality wise lmao.

even in spite of the flaws this has (oh and are there flaws...) i have a lot of affection for this one. love the settings (the boat and city, even if it's Vancouver and not New York), Jason's pre-unmasked design, how generally colorful this feels after the past few films, and so on. at the very least it's a breath of fresh air in a series that doesn't do much experimenting.

31. Da Sweet Blood of Jesus (2014) - 3/5

it was about time i got to another Spike Lee film. the first (and only) one i've seen so far was 25th Hour a few years back. what better place to start than with a remake of my favorite new watch of last year's seasonal halloween festivities, Ganja & Hess.

at the very core of things, the film is still appealing. the narrative, characters, and general themes are all pleasantly stimulating. my problems come from the presentation and performances. i can see how it might be a sticking point for some but the low budget and grittier aesthetics of Ganja & Hess were 100% part of the package for me. the mixture of the smoother aesthetic and lack of chemistry between the characters of Ganja and Hess resulted in a sterile or almost clinical feel? it's hard to put it into words.

that isn't to say the film is without standout moments. some of the settings are absolutely stunning and bits like the song in church channeled the energy of the original film a bit. i just wish there was more of it.

probably not something that will linger around in my headspace much in context of being a remake but i could see myself enjoying a rewatch down the line. maybe it will click with me further.

32. Antiviral (2012) - 3.5/5

feel like something about this might resonate or hit a bit harder in 2020 than it might have at the time of release but i can't fully speak for that as i'm late to things as usual. at least in regards to stan culture and the like (which has kinda just boiled over/worsened in the time since then).

the most effective fresh/new to me watch of the season (at least so far) in terms of impact. some truly nightmarish stuff going on here both visually and in concept. there wasn't a lot for me to grasp on in terms of a greater narrative (potential room for improvement on a revisit?) but Brandon Cronenberg lived up to his namesake and Caleb Landry Jones fucking nailed it, for sure.

33. Salem's Lot (1979) - 2.5/5

the tamest thing i've seen in Hooper's filmography so far. whether that's for better or worse may depend on how one feels about his other work. with my favorite Hooper efforts being the more outlandish ones it was definitely a bit of an adjustment. it didn't help that this was so long but had stretches of down time.

there were some really solid moments here and there that could've had great impact in terms of frights. they get jumbled by an overuse of corny freeze frames (pretty sure this happened during 80% of, if not all of the major scares) which end up being comical. i know this was a tv special so cutting away was a necessity but i can't help but wonder if fading to black or to the next scene would've offered a better outcome.

as always, it's great to see a new Hooper film. can't see myself having a craving to return to this one but it was solid enough for a first time viewing experience.

33. Carriers (2009) - 1/5

this really fell in my favor. wasn't a big fan when i watched it originally but i thought it was at least solid. memory can be a funny thing sometimes.

nothing characters can't support a film that spends most of its duration focused on said characters. attempts at getting into things beyond the leads don't go well either with inconsistent behavior/logic with the disease popping up frequently.

not even my old crush on Chris Pine or the topical nature of the film could save this.

34. Stepfather II (1989) - 2/5

outside of Terry O'Quinn's performance as Jerry Blake and a few standout moments this is definitely a bit of a downgrade from the original film. wasn't feeling the family in this one as much so a lot of things in terms of narrative or dramatic heft fell flat.

was intrigued by the third film in the series but it turns out Terry didn't reprise his role? i don't know about that...

35. Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday (1993) - 1.5/5

miraculously grew on me a bit but Steven as a main character is a major sticking point. still, this will probably never be more than one of the bottom tier films in the franchise for me. it's a shame as i love the oddball entries in the slasher franchises.

the diner showdown where shit pops off is kinda great. the film needed a lot more of that.

36. The Witch Who Came from the Sea (1976) - 3.5/5

the poster had me expecting something much more gothic horror than what this actually was lmao.

a pleasant surprise of sorts. when reading the synopsis before giving this a go i had truly feared for the worst. films that deal with trauma can be flippant or worse, flat out disastrous and i don't trust like that. this definitely steps in it a few times with the dialogue but on average was solid. i'm thankful for it.

wasn't expecting this to hit me like a bus but the last 10 minutes or so were incredibly painful. file this with the 80 other horror films that wreck me, i guess.

37. Poltergeist (1982) - 4/5

gonna be honest. i only returned to this one right now because i saw 2 and 3 are on streaming services and i'm interested in viewing them. i decided to start with this since it was also available.

i've always associated this one with The Amityville Horror because both are haunted house films that go absolutely wild in their endings. this one is much less of a chore to sit through in thanks to the solid score, characters with performances of said characters, and just a general sense of activity going on.

the false ending leading into to the actual climax is just as exhilarating on a rewatch as the first viewing.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
25. Vampires (1998)

Oh hey, I ended up throwing in some John Carpenter into this year's list afterall, and it is one of his less well received films. John's direction and music can shine through, but otherwise it is mostly okay, just okay. Honestly a thing to note is how dickish the characters were, to the point that it actually felt kind of cringe worthy at times, not help knowing that James Woods is an actual piece of shit. This also extends to the way Katrina was treated as they bring her along to have the psyche link she has with the master. I mean sheesh at that bed scene for one. I will also note that the combustion effect was kind of cool, so it was nice when the vampires were being dragged out into the sunlight, and jet of flames just burst out. XD

Alright damn, getting into the last week of the month. Going to feel sad at the end per usual, but damn is it currently exciting to be on track for 31 films this time!

Last edited:

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
MV5BMTEzNDk1MzM4MDleQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU4MDM2NTI4ODEy._V1_.jpg

25. A Dark Song (2016)

A grieving woman named Sophia convinces short-tempered occultist Joseph to risk their souls to perform a dangerous ritual that will enable her to contact her deceased son.

A Dark Song is a slow burn with just the two main actors for the majority of the movie. They are stuck inside a house that they cannot leave otherwise the spells crafted may prove fatal, so they get to know each other for better or worse. The rituals begins to take on a sadistic nature, and at one point Joseph tricks Sophia into stripping naked so he can jerk off. In another "re-birthing" ritual, Joseph drowns Sophia in the bathtub and then resuscitates her. Yeah, this one gets strange. But after Joseph suffers an accident the movie gets more interesting, with glimpses of heaven and hell in between.

👻👻👻 out of 5

Last edited:

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
24. Creep

Another underrated found footage gem I've managed to stumble upon. It's always a treat when you see comedians (Mark Duplas) play a more sinister role. I'm looking forward to the sequel.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
27. Day of the Dead
03dbe445088516f48f13b981bb5646b6.jpg

First time seeing this movie. I do like the continued take on the idea of the zombies learning that got expanded on in Land of the Dead. The characters are all interesting in their own way. This felt like what the 3rd Resident Evil film was trying to go for and failed spectacularly

9/10

Steamlord

Oct 26, 2017
29. Blood and Roses (1960) (Rewatch)

This is definitely the most stately, refined adaptation of Carmilla I've seen; unlike the more lurid interpretations of the late 60s and 70s, this one is all ambiguity, suggestion, fugue states and fever dreams. It's a beautiful looking and sounding film, with its rich color cinematography and harp score, and the surreal dream sequence remains impressive. The first time I watched this I mainly watched in anticipation of that dream sequence and probably didn't give the rest of the film its due, but watching it now it really is impressive throughout, its somber, ghostly atmosphere not letting up for a second even if there is a bit of levity from the two young girls and one of the servants. It's a slow moving film that's low on shocks, and it's frankly all the better for it. 8/10

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
#25 Ice Cream Man - DNF/10
I saw this on TV when I was younger, and I remember this haunted me. Clint Howard is creepy af, but that is all the movie has. Got bored and watched clips of the good parts.

#25 House of 1000 Corpses -good(-)/10
First time watching. This was weird. Weird edits all over, and no real plot. jph139 put it well that the movie is the equivalent to a haunted house. I think this is probably much better if you're with a group and you are all a bit drunk. It has a ton of variety that keeps it interesting tho.

Last edited:

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
BodymeltDVD-1-.jpg

41. Body Melt (1993) A pharmaceutical company and health spa is testing new supplements that causes body horror effects in the unwitting subjects. Australian horror comedy that's light on laughs but heavy on bile and attempts at gross out humor. It doesn't really develop any of its plot lines and comes across as a slightly higher budget, and actually watchable, Troma film. A good techno soundtrack and the gore effects are the highlights.
= 2 out of 5

Scare_Me_poster.jpeg

42. Scare Me (2020) A few people in a remote cabin tell each other scary stories during a power outage. Only one scene of mild violence in this horror comedy that relies upon the actor's abilities to play all the characters in the spooky tales, while the film is restrained in how it embellish's them. Creative jealousy, idea theft and toxic masculinity are undercurrents to the effective bottle design of the plot. While there are a few moments that don't work for me, I ended up liking it.
= 3.5 out of 5

the_beyond.png

43. The Beyond (1981) A young woman inherits a hotel in Louisiana. As she renovates it, deadly occurrences happen as something more sinister is taking place. Or is she going mad? With the weird characters, ADR, cheesy dialogue and very basic plot, the gore is the main attraction. The camera zooms in and lingers as the wounds are inflicted and the blood flows, but a very extended scene with spiders has some of the worst effects amongst the rest that are above average for the most part. There's actually some good camera work here and there too. I think it just runs out of ideas with the last act seemingly abandoning all of the mystery and becoming rote. The ending is good though.
= 3 out of 5

Last edited:

RedSonja

Oct 29, 2017
Feed (2005). What a nasty, disgusting Australian horror movie. Don't want to give any spoilers, so I will not go into the plot. Suffice it to say that it might put you off eating (too much!) for a bit. Scary to think that stuff like this does go on in the big, bad world. Puts a whole new spin on gambling at the same time. If you want a different type of horror movie that's, erm, a bit more grounded, watch this one. 7500 calories/10 000 calories per day. I'm loving it.

51MSXXA72VL._AC_.jpg

Last edited:

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25.

40. Poltergeist II: The Other Side (1986)

The first one was a slow burn. This one is a car crash. Really creative looking shit for 1986. Much more in your face hauntings. The braces and the vomit creature are major stand outs.

Oct 25, 2017
MV5BM2Y3Y2FlNTQtOTYzYS00NjdjLTlkNjEtNTE5NzRiMTZkNTgxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

44. Urban Legends: Final Cut (2000)
The first one was fun with all of the kills being based on urban legends but they unfortunately dropped that idea and instead the focus was a group of students making a film about urban legends. It is nowhere near as smart as it thinks it is and is a pretty forgettable slasher.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Week 1: The Unholy Trinity
  1. Rosemary's Baby
  2. The Omen (1976)
  3. The Exorcist
Week 2: Keeping It Classic
  1. The Phantom of the Opera (1925)*
  2. Cat People (1942)*
  3. Dead of Night (1945)*
  4. House of Wax (1953)*
  5. The Creature from the Black Lagoon*
  6. King Kong (1933)*
  7. Godzilla (1954)*
Week 3: Slasher Central
  1. Sisters (1973)*
  2. Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon*
  3. Peeping Tom*
  4. The Burning*
  5. Dressed to Kill (1980)*
  6. Prom Night (1980)*
  7. When A Stranger Calls (1979)*
Week 4: In Recent Years
  1. Tigers Are Not Afraid*
  2. Sputnik*
  3. Relic*
  4. Color Out of Space*
  5. La Llorona*
  6. 1BR*
1br-880x320.jpg

The cost of living in L.A. is a lot more than you expected.​

1BR is about a woman who moves to LA to pursue her dream of becoming a fashion designer. Upon approval of an apartment she applies for, she begins hearing some strange noises at night in her bedroom that no one else in the complex seems to hear.

I don't want to spoil too much because I went in blind expecting something else and got something totally different. I will say it reminds me of Saw mixed with Oldboy, but even I consider that hybrid comparison a stretch.

It's Stockholm's syndrome the movie. All I will say is the correct decisions (in my opinion) were made in the end.

Decent picture.

Last edited:

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Week 1: The Unholy Trinity
  1. Rosemary's Baby
  2. The Omen (1976)
  3. The Exorcist
Week 2: Keeping It Classic
  1. The Phantom of the Opera (1925)*
  2. Cat People (1942)*
  3. Dead of Night (1945)*
  4. House of Wax (1953)*
  5. The Creature from the Black Lagoon*
  6. King Kong (1933)*
  7. Godzilla (1954)*
Week 3: Slasher Central
  1. Sisters (1973)*
  2. Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon*
  3. Peeping Tom*
  4. The Burning*
  5. Dressed to Kill (1980)*
  6. Prom Night (1980)*
  7. When A Stranger Calls (1979)*
Week 4: In Recent Years
  1. Tigers Are Not Afraid*
  2. Sputnik*
  3. Relic*
  4. Color Out of Space*
  5. La Llorona*
  6. 1BR*
  7. Host*
host-1.jpg

I didn't expect this to be the scariest movie I've seen all year.​

Host takes place on a Zoom call with friends attempting an online séance.

This movie is just shy of an hour long, and it presents some great scares in a variety of ways. The first act will have scenes that get under your skin; very few jump scares with lowkey, creepy visuals. The last act comes at you with full force, so expect to jump if you're alone in the dark.

The movie is created entirely using Zoom... It's pretty damn cool. Movies like Unfriended have done things like this in the past, but this film taking place during quarantine makes it more relatable to a current audience. Also, you will see characters doing things that actual people do during Zoom calls: people in the background interrupting calls, characters moving the camera from room to room, video backgrounds, filters, etc. The creators really showcased everything they could think of to make the most out of this platform, and it's really fun to watch play out.

Now, I haven't gotten scared from a horror movie in a very long time. I watch horror movies as I fall asleep for Christ's sake, but this movie is scary if you watch it alone in the dark, and I'll tell you why.
Jump scares don't scare me. And while this film has its fair share, the scariest scenes of this movie are the things in the background that are SO easy to miss because the characters won't react to them since they don't notice what's going on. No loud jump scare noises during these scenes, just creepy imagery. I love that stuff in horror movies.

With that being said, this isn't the best movies I've seen all month, but it's one of the most creative and definitely the scariest.

If you want a few good scares, give this one a shot.

I want something thats legitimately scary, yet is not gory or disturbing, any options
I love conjuring one and 2, ive seen paranormal activity and both blair witches. Are the paranormal activity sequels any good?
I typically gravitate towards ghost movies or monster movies.
I wanted to recommend this movie to you if you haven't seen it yet. Sounds right up your alley.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
TearablePuns Host is one of the best movies and horror movies of the year; it's truly an achievement IMO. Not just a naturalistic non-exploitation time capsule of 2020, but also a testament to low-budget creativity. After some tutorials and an effects-tool package, the actors did all their own practical FX, stuntwork, lighting, camerawork, etc from their own homes. That the movie is able to pull some really impressive scare moments and effects, turning this dire time into a creative boon, elevates the entire film for me

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
TearablePuns Host is one of the best movies and horror movies of the year; it's truly an achievement IMO. Not just a naturalistic non-exploitation time capsule of 2020, but also a testament to low-budget creativity. After some tutorials and an effects-tool package, the actors did all their own practical FX, stuntwork, lighting, camerawork, etc from their own homes. That the movie is able to pull some really impressive scare moments and effects, turning this dire time into a creative boon, elevates the entire film for me
It's definitely up there in terms of most impressive horror movies I watched this year. Wow, I didn't know they did all of that stuff themselves, that's really amazing. I guess I should have read the credits, but the font was too small in Zoom... lol
Definitely not afraid to admit that the movie gave me chills during a few of those earlier scenes. Like I said, I love horror movies that reward attentiveness with some great scares. I know movies don't go for that often because without the LOUD NOISE jump scare moments, viewers might miss those lowkey moments entirely.
I want to watch it again to see if I missed anything else!

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely up there in terms of most impressive horror movies I watched this year. Wow, I didn't know they did all of that stuff themselves, that's really amazing. I guess I should have read the credits, but the font was too small in Zoom... lol
Definitely not afraid to admit that the movie gave me chills during a few of those earlier scenes. Like I said, I love horror movies that reward attentiveness with some great scares. I know movies don't go for that often because without the LOUD NOISE jump scare moments, viewers might miss those lowkey moments entirely.
I want to watch it again to see if I missed anything else!

Maybe I'm just coming off the high of my feature last night but Creep(2014) was also an enjoyable handcam/found footage romp. But like I said in my impression, comedians playing a serious role is always fun to me. Some genuinely uncomfortable moments, imo. I've heard good things about the sequel too, even though it seems like it's more self-aware of what it is.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I'm just coming off the high of my feature last night but Creep(2014) was also an enjoyable handcam/found footage romp. But like I said in my impression, comedians playing a serious role is always fun to me. Some genuinely uncomfortable moments, imo. I've heard good things about the sequel too, even though it seems like it's more self-aware of what it is.
Creep is a great movie. Creep 2 is a lot different than the first being that it seems more thriller than horror this time around, but I still really enjoyed it.
I actually watched it earlier this year:
Took the plunge and finally watched Creep 2. Mark Duplass is a treasure

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
12. The Changeling (1980)
Certainly moves at a, shall we say, languid pace for a while but things really start to heat up after the seance sequence (which was great). I kind of like how the film doesn't get bogged down in George C. Scott playing the supernatural skeptic for so much of the story; he sees and hears what's going on, and is onboard with investigating this shit right from the start. Maybe because this was filmed so shortly after, but for some reason this movie reminds a bit of Paul Schrader's Hardcore, also starring a late 70s era Scott. Although the story pivots into something of a murder mystery direction, it does maintain a horror vibe throughout, which all comes to a head in a really impressive looking climax. Good movie.
7/10

Pitcairn55

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Film 23The Witch Who Came From the Sea

TlIqDgf.jpg

With a title like this I was hoping for a little bit of folk horror, but instead found myself watching less of a horror movie and more of a psychological... well I was going to say 'thriller' but this film is not exciting enough to warrant that definition, so psychological study, maybe?

It's an over-earnest depiction of a woman violently collapsing under the weight of repressed childhood sexual trauma, and despite the jazzy 70s fashions and interior design it's bleak and depressing from start to finish. It's also often dull, occasionally pretentious, and feels much longer than it actually is. And while it was pretty well acted, I never really connected with or believed in the lead character, at least not in her adult form. In fact (and at the risk of coming across like Helen Lovejoy) most of my emotional engagement with the movie come from worrying not about the characters, but about the child actors portraying three of them, and hoping they were being looked after on set, because they were involved in some pretty difficult, unpleasant scenes.

I don't know, maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I'd gone in with different expectations, or in a different frame of mind. Both in this thread and elsewhere online the film has its admirers, but I just really didn't like it.

Films I've watched so far

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Another off-list recommendation: Rituals (1977)

5cXruBH.jpg

After finishing this, I think I can decisively say that Rituals is better than Deliverance. This is all the best aspects of Deliverance and Southern Comfort but crueler and more emotionally raw than either. Boorman's film is the slick foundation, but Peter Carter's nightmare has no room for "slick", or for banjo build-up. Rituals doesn't waste a single grueling second, quickly establishing the group's personalities - arrogant doctors air-dropped into extremely remote wilderness - before jumping into its woodland hell. Even these seemingly harmless moments of leisure are rife with tension, largely due to that isolation but also due to a quietly lurking presence. Deliverance may be its ancestor, but Southern Comfort is its descendant.

The suspenseful dread starts innocuously with missing boots, then accelerates to spiked carcasses, beehive ambush, and far worse. Their tormentor is an unseen but constantly-felt terror until the finale reveal, only ever noticed as a rustle of movement or distant silhouette. The raging waters and unfriendly landscape are hellish, purgatorial, by their own merits, drawing out bleak vulnerability from its dwindling male cast. That raw hopelessness is only intensified by moments of stark violence and the actors' very physical endurance among nature. Rituals' restrained approach to survival-horror smothers the film in a haze of cruel anxiety.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
# 32 - The House With Laughing Windows (1976) (FTV)

House+with+Laughing+Windows.jpg

Every year that I've had this marathon, there always manages to be one movie that is critically acclaimed which I find to be dreadful. Well, here is this year's entry: The House With Laughing Windows.

The only thing that attracted me to this movie (besides it coming up on my top 500 list) is that it's a highly rated Giallo that has been compared to such classics as Don't Torture A Duckling, Torso, Four Flies on Grey Velvet, and Whatever Happened to Solange. In my eyes, those films I mentioned at least have engaging plots and manage to be entertaining while keeping the viewer guessing. There is none of that in Laughing Windows.

This film was an hour and 46 minutes long. It wasn't until the hour and 15 minute mark that something interesting actually happens. The final 30 minutes are decent, and would have been much better had I not figured out who the killer was in the early parts of the film. This movie did an awful job keeping the mystery, and instead throws these bizarre acting characters at the viewer thinking they would place some doubt into the audience's mind. Also, there are barely any death scenes in the movie. Instead, the film just explains to the viewer how bad the killers are, and what they've done. There are a couple of shocking scenes towards the end that I appreciated. There is also a romance sub-plot between two people that have very little chemistry, which made me just not care about either of them.

I just did not enjoy my time with this one at all. It felt like I could have tuned in halfway through the movie, understood what was going on, and the ending would have worked better. But since the film does almost nothing for 75% of it, I was far too bored and restless to really care about the good 25% left.

4 knives into the body of a strung up victim out of 10.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
Another off-list recommendation: Rituals (1977)

5cXruBH.jpg

After finishing this, I think I can decisively say that Rituals is better than Deliverance. This is all the best aspects of Deliverance and Southern Comfort but crueler and more emotionally raw than either. Boorman's film is the slick foundation, but Peter Carter's nightmare has no room for "slick", or for banjo build-up. Rituals doesn't waste a single grueling second, quickly establishing the group's personalities - arrogant doctors air-dropped into extremely remote wilderness - before jumping into its woodland hell. Even these seemingly harmless moments of leisure are rife with tension, largely due to that isolation but also due to a quietly lurking presence. Deliverance may be its ancestor, but Southern Comfort is its descendant.

The suspenseful dread starts innocuously with missing boots, then accelerates to spiked carcasses, beehive ambush, and far worse. Their tormentor is an unseen but constantly-felt terror until the finale reveal, only ever noticed as a rustle of movement or distant silhouette. The raging waters and unfriendly landscape are hellish, purgatorial, by their own merits, drawing out bleak vulnerability from its dwindling male cast. That raw hopelessness is only intensified by moments of stark violence and the actors' very physical endurance among nature. Rituals' restrained approach to survival-horror smothers the film in a haze of cruel anxiety.

Great review and photo, you sold me. Will check this out sometime.

Divius

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
24885-long-weekend-0-460-0-690-crop.jpg

#20 - Long Weekend (1978)
It has been a long time since I had some Aussie horror on my list so here we go! Peter and Marcia are pretty terrible people, arguing and fighting about everything and anything while disrespecting nature at the same time. Nature doesn't like that. Nature strikes back. Atmospheric and crazy and annoying. 6/10

31186-someone-s-watching-me--0-460-0-690-crop.jpg

#21 - Someone's Watching Me (1978)
Nice little TV-Movie from Master John Carpenter. Girl movies into new highrise apartment. Girl gets increasingly disturbing phone calls and messages from her stalker. Things escalate. It's lightweight fun, effective in what it sets out to do. The climax is a bit disappointing because it's as predictable as they come. 6/10

44703-the-testament-of-dr-mabuse-0-460-0-690-crop.jpg

#22 - The Testament of Dr. Mabuse (1933)
Pioneer of German cinema Fritz Lang returns with this second installment of his classic Mabuse series. Moving from expressionism into something a bit more grounded, it's masterful filmmaking. Strong direction, storytelling, gorgeous cinematography, striking imagery, theatrical and emotional performances. Everything is top-notch. Would not classify as horror though. 8/10

tgqSoIp2PU6jKE1c8CgjAvdvc4W-0-460-0-690-crop.jpg

#23 - Dead Heat (1988)
Goofy 80s buddy cop movie with some of the worst oneliners ever brought to the screen. Dumb fun and trash. So why is this included in my horror marathon? Well, there are some zombies in there too. 5/10

coma

Oct 28, 2017
40. The Blood on Satan's Claw (1971, Piers Haggard) ★★★½

41. Night of the Living Dead (1990, Tom Savini) ★★★
Like an unnecessary made-for-TV version with Telltale-level acting/writing. With a better budget, writing, directing, etc. there could've been something a bit more worthwhile.

01. Cat People (1942, Jacques Tourneur) ★★★★
02. The Burning (1981, Tony Maylam) ★★★★
03. The Innocents (1961, Jack Clayton) ★★★★★
04. Village of the Damned (1960, Wolf Rilla) ★★★½
05. The Strangers (2008, Bryan Bertino) ★★★
06. Hush… Hush, Sweet Charlotte (1964, Robert Aldrich) ★★★½
07. The Invisible Man (1933, James Whale) ★★★★
08. The Black Cat (1934, Edgar G. Ulmer) ★★★★
09. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931, Rouben Mamoulian) ★★★★
10. Scream for Help (1984, Michael Winner) ★★★★
11. Sleepy Hollow (1999, Tim Burton) ★★★½
12. Amsterdamned (1988, Dick Maas) ★★★★
13. Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight (1995, Ernest R. Dickerson) ★★★½
14. The Conjuring (2013, James Wan) ★★★★
15. The 'Burbs (1989, Joe Dante) ★★★★
16. My Bloody Valentine (1981, George Mihalka) ★★★★
17. Fright Night (1985, Tom Holland) ★★★★
18. What Have You Done to Solange? (1972, Massimo Dallamano) ★★★★
19. The Conjuring 2 (2016, James Wan) ★★½
20. The Hunger (1983, Tony Scott) ★★★½
21. Dracula (1992, Francis Ford Coppola) ★★★★½
22. The Witch Who Came from the Sea (1976, Matt Cimber) ★★★
23. Salem's Lot (1979, Tobe Hooper) ★★★½
24. The Beyond (1981, Lucio Fulci) ★★★½
25. Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979, Werner Herzog ) ★★★½
26. Angst (1983, Gerald Kargl) ★★★★½
27. The Shout (1978, Jerzy Skolimowski) ★★★★
28. The Haunted Palace (1963, Roger Corman) ★★★★
29. The Sentinel (1977, Michael Winner) ★★★½
30. Vampire's Kiss (1988, Robert Bierman) ★★★½
31. Hands of the Ripper (1971, Peter Sasdy) ★★★½
32. Martin (1977, George A. Romero) ★★★★
33. Santa Sangre (1989, Alejandro Jodorowsky) ★★★★★
34. The Evil Dead (1981, Sam Raimi) ★★★★
35. Evil Dead II (1987, Sam Raimi) ★★★★★½
36. Army of Darkness (1992, Sam Raimi) ★★★★
37. Evil Dead (2013, Fede Alvarez) ★★
38. Thesis (1996, Alejandro Amenábar) ★★★★
39. The Cabin in the Woods (2011, Drew Goddard) ★★★½

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017

24. Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986)
dMoFUN2.jpg

What a bleak and depressing movie. The story follows Henry as he encounter 2 step siblings with their own set of problems and situation. And as it goes on, his nature basically starts to take a toll on them in the worst way. It's really interesting to watch how stuff goes down knowing the nature of the titular character while everyone else in the movie does not. It's horrifying, sad and scary knowing this is based on a real life case.

4/5

25. The Lighthouse (2019)
Xeix9W5.jpg

This movie feature some amazing performances by Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson, great looking cinematography and just ooze a sense of style especially with the language ---- similar to The VVitch. It's surprisingly funny too at parts. Unfortunately I'm not fan of the story and how it relies on outside references to be understood. And the long runtime feels really unnecessary.

3/5