• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Approximately at the 55 minute 56 second mark on the 343 mixer social stream 343 Industries employee Jeff Easterling (also known as GrimBrother One) stated what seems like confirmation that 343 Industries will not be chasing trends by tacking on a Battle Royal Mode in Halo: Infinite.

https://mixer.com/Halo?vod=44214540

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
They know the trend will be over by the time game releases. Only Fortnite and probably PUBG will stand still at that point.

BDubsLegend

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Well there you go Something I personally would as never worried about nipped in the bud. Halo sets its own standard and as far as multiplayer is concerned they have a good thing going already.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
aahh that makes me sad. since my youth I've been hoping for a mode set in the past, where you play a teenager spartan in the forest with "last man standing" kind of mode.
Kind of like that scene in the book "Fall of Reach" but this time without cooperation :D

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They know the trend will be over by the time game releases. Only Fortnite and probably PUBG will stand still at that point.

It may level off some but the genre is here to stay, just like mobas are here to stay.

Not every game needs a BR but-- quite frankly, PUBG is a broken game that still doesn't have any direct competition (Fortnite is too different to really compare, even if the audience has some crossover). We have some low end buggy early access attempts at the genre, but no major studios have taken a swing at this yet. Maybe Halo should've made a BR. :p

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
It may level off some but the genre is here to stay, just like mobas are here to stay.

Not every game needs a BR but-- quite frankly, PUBG is a broken game that still doesn't have any direct competition (Fortnite is too different to really compare, even if the audience has some crossover). We have some low end buggy early access attempts at the genre, but no major studios have taken a swing at this yet. Maybe Halo should've made a BR. :p

Yeah, I tend to this. Why close off your options?

Even if BR is "dead" by HI release, ok, then just kinda backburner it. Doesn't hurt to have it available.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While a Halo BR sounds like something that could work out well, by the time the game comes out I'm not sure it's what people will want.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
The only thing I would've wanted them to do is a literal copycat of PUBG that runs better using Halo weapon models and Halo vehicle physics. I'll be fine with PUBG and Halo Infinite though.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Good, if they're going to focus on a multiplayer mode they should be doing a larger scale Warzone.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
That's a shame, Halo seemed like the perfect franchise for a Battle Royale mode. It's got great vehicle controls and is well known for having an excessive amount of different modes. It's got really cool worlds that'd lend themselves well to cool big maps. And it's got a large variety of weapons, including fun melee weapons.

It's kind of annoying that the first trend Halo's choosing not to chase is the first one that's actually made sense.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's a shame, Halo seemed like the perfect franchise for a Battle Royale mode. It's got great vehicle controls and is well known for having an excessive amount of different modes. It's got really cool worlds that'd lend themselves well to cool big maps. And it's got a large variety of weapons, including fun melee weapons.

It's kind of annoying that the first trend Halo's choosing not to chase is the first one that's actually made sense.

I haven't played the newer Halo games, but if they're anything like the Bungie games in mechanics, then I'd agree. They're a very good fit due to the two weapon system, and how Halo feels to play.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
I haven't played the newer Halo games, but if they're anything like the Bungie games in mechanics, then I'd agree. They're a very good fit due to the two weapon system, and how Halo feels to play.

Halo 5 is basically just a slightly modernized Halo, with a shitty Warzone mode and a kinda fun CS/Siege type round based mode. It's got some new techniques, but they're integrated into the gameplay pretty well (unlike in 4) and are universal to all players (unlike 4/Reach). The game controls great, the gunplay is fun, the vehicles are ace. My only real complaint is that all the BTB maps are Forge maps.

OP
OP
Cranster

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm going to have to disagree, I think with battle royal 343i would be forced to literally build weapon balance around it, so it just wouldn't work with the rest of the game.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Love that reply. I don't necessarily think that a BR mode would work that well in Halo to begin with and the game is still so far away that the concept would most likely be played out by then.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
I'm going to have to disagree, I think with battle royal 343i would be forced to literally build weapon balance around it, so it just wouldn't work with the rest of the game.

I think they would have to balance things separately, and I wouldn't expect Halo Battle Royale to necessarily even be in the same game as Halo Infinite. I don't think changing weapon balance for a different mode would be too terribly tough, they've already made Warzone full of different variations of similar weapons. In addition, I think Halo's balance already lends itself well to Battle Royale, as it already allows for firefights that are relatively long.

Spanic

Oct 31, 2017
US
All they have to do is add some Battle Royale specific tools in forge and that's it. The community will make it for them.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Good. I hope they bring back some of these ideas instead:

Global Battle on planetary surface AND in space? Yes, please!

Interficium

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Makes sense.

After all why should the next Halo, likely to be a 2020 title, chase the hot trend of 2018?

Treythalomew

Oct 27, 2017
It would have been interesting to have BR mode for Halo considering Warzone is practically a couple variations away from being suited for it but I'd rather keep Warzone and have them focus on iterating on it than chasing BR. I don't follow the numbers but I still play Halo 5 a ton and play BTB for awhile and then pop over to Warzone Assault and have a great time they feel so different.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
(Except for H4) Halo Multiplayer always made the competition follow, not the opposite.
This answer was great!

CoLD FiRE

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Good.

Still, they don't necessarily have to include a BR mode themselves. 343 could just focus on improving Forge to allow for community created BR modes. E.g. Design Forge to support higher number of players and provide the tools to make it possible to create a BR mode.

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, that's their loss. I think it could work exceptionally well with a game mode where you always play as Masterchief and see all other players as Covenant. In a related note I never understood why you are forced to a colour in CTF and the like. I always want to be blue. I always want to play against red. It's not that hard. Having to remember which team you are currently on is half the problem of these modes.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
They were Reaching quite a bit with that joke

the same way the only reaching I'm interested in is Halo Reach in MCC.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's still a market that can't get into Fortnite and needs a bug free FPS BR game.
Indeed. There might be a lot of BR games out, but there is still room to improve. There isn't yet a full blown AAA BR game that everyone is happy with.

Who knows, maybe either Fortnite or PUBG might patch themselves into one day becoming that perfect game. I guess other developers look at the risks and the challenge of trying to steal players from these two companies, and decided it is not a sure thing.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif