• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
It's a game mode, not some mechanic that completely rewrites the combat.

Sure, but perception is a powerful thing... especially among the tribalist nature of gamers.

People only need a small marginally relevant detail to latch onto, e.g. the new Halo has a BR mode, and they'll run with the narrative that Halo is now derivative and chasing trends instead of setting them, regardless of the fact that the rest of the game might be exceptionally unique.

It totally isn't a hard to imagine scenario.

I'd rather, 323i instead put their own spin on the BR archetype and call it something else... at least then it would be more likely to be taken seriously.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just so y'all know, BR has been playable this whole time in Halo in the form of custom games.

It was typically referred to as "Hunger Games" back then. Still is now in Halo 5 custom games sometimes.

Deleted member 42221

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
I would like a Halo battle Royale mode just because halo has genuinely iconic weapons and it'd be fun having to use them in a more open and desperate context...

But yeah, I feel like they could let players do something similar in forge. I do like high player count Halo stuff, so I hope there's a bit of that in Halo Infinite.

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
At least they know that the appeal of the Battle Rifle will outlast the Battle Royale genre

36 Chambers

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thank the fucking rings.

I've been saying for YEARS that Halo needs to go back to leading instead of following.

Halo 4 (And you could argue Reach) was trying too hard to emulate what the rest of the market were doing. Putting sprint, ADS and loudouts into Halo was a huge mistake. People began looking at Halo as just another AAA generic shooter instead of focusing on what makes the games unique. I would personally love to see a return to focus on the core rock paper scissors game play of previous games. Enough with terrible Sprint requiring terrible maps. Enough super powers and trash ass loadouts. Leave all that goofy shit in Warzone.

And fuck Battle Royale. Doesn't belong in Halo as much as I love the genre.

Just make a Halo game

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
Replace War zone with a BR mode of odst's. You start in a drop pod with a small amount of control to the decent. Set on multiple style of maps in the Halo universe.

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like a Halo Battle Royale featuring Helljumpers / ODST so it's a bummer to me.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
GOD

DAMNITTTTTTTTTTTTT

this isn't a "trend" that will die and nobody will care about. It's simply an entirely new multiplayer game MODE

It can be offered alongside other content.

this is so short sighted (if it's actually representative of their goals)

all of you agreeing with this are being so naĂŻve "just bring back classic halo, that's all we need"

No it's not!!

this isn't a mechanic that 343 is chasing after to keep up with trends, adding BR isn't going to destabilize the true halo gameplay loop like sprint or ads or armor abilities.

it's a GAME MODE.

and a great concept at that

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Well, that's their loss. I think it could work exceptionally well with a game mode where you always play as Masterchief and see all other players as Covenant. In a related note I never understood why you are forced to a colour in CTF and the like. I always want to be blue. I always want to play against red. It's not that hard. Having to remember which team you are currently on is half the problem of these modes.

That's the first time I've heard of this complaint.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This seems extremely short sighted. BR isn't going anywhere. It's going to become another mode that almost all multiplayer games will have going forward. This will just leave Halo further and further behind.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good, they have great mp already. I mean they can always add it but I rather they put their resources in a sure thing.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
You guys want a futuristic FPS Battle Royale with good gunplay? Please, please support Islands of Nyne then.

Halo gotta be Halo before it tries to do anything else.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's crazy to me how many people think a BR mode wouldn't work in Halo. You know, the franchise with gorgeous big open maps, tons of great vehicles, distinctive weapons, no player classes or heroes... but I guess including a popular gametype, among what would surely be an assortment of all the old standbys, is somehow playing follow-the-leader.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
People aren't wrong what it's just a new game mode, but still I don't think it has a place in a Halo game. I'd rather them come up with an entirely new mode that feels like it has its roots in Halo.
It's crazy to me how many people think a BR mode wouldn't work in Halo. You know, the franchise with gorgeous big open maps, tons of great vehicles, distinctive weapons, no player classes or heroes... but I guess including a popular gametype is somehow playing follow-the-leader.
So just Big Team Battle with one life and no teams? I really don't see what Halo has to offer to Battle Royal.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when they added
ODST Firefight : spin on horde
Reach Invasion : spin on rush
5 Warzone : those plus titan fall

these are just game modes. They aren't going to change the game. Everyone will most likely get a more "classic style" of gameplay but that doesn't mean they should limit the types of experiences within that.

I'm sorry but if you think BR is a dying trend, or boring, or that Halo isn't a good fit for the genre, you have lost your damn mind and are simply just trying to be a contrarian.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I guess there are two interpretations...

1) 343i have realised that chasing trends is wrecking Halo
2) 343i are still chasing trends but have decided to not chase the one trend that suits Halo down to the ground

All I can say is that, between Halo 4, 5, MCC and HW2 (which they had a hand in)... I have very little faith in them.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So just Big Team Battle with one life? I really don't see what Halo has to offer to Battle Royal.

I mean... yes? You're just describing Battle Royale. If you don't like it, that's totally fine, but there is clearly a huge plurality of players who do. The draw here is doing it in the Halo sandbox, with Halo vehicles and Halo gunplay. How is that any different than deathmatch/CTF/control point modes being in every game where you shoot a gun?

More granularly, Halo has always been balanced for longer engagement times than games like COD or Battlefield, which makes it a much better fit for a mode in which long-term survival is paramount. If you want to argue that insta-death COD isn't a great fit, I'm much more inclined to agree with you.

Last edited:

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
It's crazy to me how many people think a BR mode wouldn't work in Halo. You know, the franchise with gorgeous big open maps, tons of great vehicles, distinctive weapons, no player classes or heroes... but I guess including a popular gametype, among what would surely be an assortment of all the old standbys, is somehow playing follow-the-leader.

It's not that I think it wouldn't work, but a good BR mode would require a lot of attention and resources to get right, attention and resources that I think would be much better spent elsewhere. You can't just throw a bunch of Spartans/ODSTs on a map with shrinking borders, and call it a day.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I mean... yes? You're just describing Battle Royale. The draw is doing it in the Halo sandbox, with Halo vehicles and Halo gunplay. How is that any different than deathmatch/CTF/control point modes being in every game where you shoot a gun?
I just don't think Halo's gameplay is suited for that. There aren't really weapon attachments, health kits or power ups to pick up. I'm just trying to imagine how it would look like in application.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
It's not that I think it wouldn't work, but a good BR mode would require a lot of attention and resources to get right, attention and resources that I think would be much better spent elsewhere. You can't just throw a bunch of Spartans/ODSTs on a map with shrinking borders, and call it a day.

It's not like they couldn't do it instead of one of the various things 343i tried in Halo 5 (e.g. Warzone, Breakout) that weren't very good.

I just don't think Halo's gameplay is suited for that. There aren't really weapon attachments, health kits or power ups to pick up.

Fortnite doesn't have weapon attachments and Halo does have power ups...

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
It's not like they couldn't do it instead of one of the various things 343i tried in Halo 5 (e.g. Warzone, Breakout) that weren't very good.
You mean Warzone one of if not the most popular mode in 5, they aren't getting rid of that anytime soon. Breakout resources can be spent on Arena having enough content at launch this time.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
some people are so out of touch

we have odst drop pods, warzone has attachments, halo 5 campaign has DBNO mechanics, fun vehicles, a perfectly simple but varied weapon arsenal, overshield, speed boost, med kits since CE, I won't hear the argument that Halo doesn't have the pieces

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
You mean Warzone one of if not the most popular mode in 5, they aren't getting rid of that anytime soon. Breakout resources can be spent on Arena having enough content at launch this time.

I don't think they'll get rid of Warzone either, doesn't mean they shouldn't. Warzone hurts Halo as much as it helps it.

m23

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think it's impossible, but I don't think a BR mode is something very simple for Halo to do. They would need to change up balance completely. They way it is currently balanced, if someone picks up a sniper rifle, they are pretty much guaranteed to get a ton of kills. Same with vehicles, anyone who gets a Warthog or Ghost would just dominate. I'm not really sure how they would go about balancing these things and make them work.

The whole point of BR is to go out and scavenge for items and weapons - the only useful weapon for someone to have in Halo would be the Battle Rifle/DMR/Lightrifle putting aside the power weapons. Most of the sandbox would be rendered useless as the battles would mostly be ranged.

If they can completely change up the balancing (weapons and vehicles) and introduce a ton of new weapons, maybe it could work. I think a revamp of Warzone or BTB could do just as much personally, no need for a separate BR mode.

m23 confirmation Halo Infinity is a BR based game

Lol, just like every Halo since 2 (except the abomination that was Reach).

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
some people are so out of touch

we have odst drop pods, warzone has attachments, halo 5 campaign has DBNO mechanics, fun vehicles, a perfectly simple but varied weapon arsenal, overshield, speed boost, med kits since CE, I won't hear the argument that Halo doesn't have the pieces
After launch as one of their free updates sure, but taking away resources from the rest of the game when 5 already had issues doesn't seem like a good idea.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
At least they are clearly stating that they have no intention of doing a Battle Royale (at least at release)... good to see them not playing coy.

Personally still waiting for a good 1st person only Battle Royale, hoping either Call Of Duty or Battlefield can deliver.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
thank god. that would take a ton of resources to do correctly, which would obviously take away from everything else - and halo has a lot that is already expected out of it between sp, mp, and forge.

also always found this ironic
  • halo fans to devs: "Stop chasing fads!"
  • halo fans to devs: "Give me battle royale halo!"