• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
For years, people who have found Google search frustrating have been adding "Reddit" to the end of their search queries. This practice is so common that Google even acknowledged the phenomenon in a post announcing that it will be scraping Reddit posts to train its AI. And so, naturally, there are now services that will poison Reddit threads with AI-generated posts designed to promote products.

A service called ReplyGuy advertises itself as "the AI that plugs your product on Reddit" and which automatically "mentions your product in conversations naturally." Examples on the site show two different Redditors being controlled by AI posting plugs for a text-to-voice product called "AnySpeech" and a bot writing a long comment about a debt consolidation program called Debt Freedom Now.

The creator of the company, Alexander Belogubov, has also posted screenshots of other bot-controlled accounts responding all over Reddit. Begolubov has another startup called "Stealth Marketing" that also seeks to manipulate the platform by promising to "turn Reddit into a steady stream of customers for your startup." Belogubov did not respond to requests for comment.

Most of the Reddit accounts that Belogubov has shown as examples on his social media and on ReplyGuy's website have been banned by Reddit. An FAQ on the site says "we send the replies from our pool of high quality Twitter and Reddit accounts. You may optionally connect your own account if you'd like the replies to come from a brand page … think of [ReplyGuy] as more of an investment—a Reddit post will be around for a long time for future internet users to stumble upon."

The existence of ReplyGuy doesn't necessarily mean that Reddit is going to suddenly become a hellscape full of AI-generated content. But it does highlight the fact that companies are trying to game the platform with the express purpose of ranking high on Google and are using AI and account buying to do it. There are entire communities on Reddit dedicated to identifying and shaming spammy accounts (r/thisfuckingaccount, for example), there has been pushback against people using ChatGPT to generate fake stories for personal advice communities like r/aitah (Am I the Asshole), and Redditors themselves have found that posts on Reddit are able to rank highly on Google within minutes of being published. I have noticed low-effort posts promoting products when I end up on Reddit from a Google search. This has led to a market for "parasite SEO," where people try to attach their website or product to a page that already ranks high on Google. "Buy aged Reddit accounts with HIGH karma for Parasite SEO," according to a video made by YouTuber SEO Jesus.

"Google is clearly telling us it's smashed [downranked] loads of high-quality niche sites and meanwhile, what's performing is Reddit, LinkedIn, and other parasites," SEO Jesus said in a January YouTube video about how to buy accounts to "manipulate Reddit."

"How do we actually manipulate Reddit? How do we use it to make money and generate leads? Well the answer is we basically find pages that are already ranking, and then we want to comment underneath," he says. "The rankings are driven by individual upvotes. Upvotes are quite easy to manipulate." He then explains that to make a comment with affiliate links that are "obviously commercial" without it being taken down is to buy "an aged Reddit account with a lot of trust."

www.404media.co

AI Is Poisoning Reddit to Promote Products and Game Google With 'Parasite SEO'

A market for manipulating Reddit using AI have emerged.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
This is great article.

Boy i sure got thirsty reading it, and for my thirst needs I drink Coke Zero. Refreshing.

I genuinely worry this is going to become a heavy problem that will not get addressed via moderation or testing anytime soon

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I would pay good money for google to overhaul their search algorithm to completely obliterate the SEO of all the dogshit websites that take about 10 paragraphs to get to the answer of your question (that is often wrong because they plagiarised it from another site), but sadly they're too busy adding AI summaries of the search results that wouldn't have been necessary if they hadn't pushed sites in this direction in the first place (and of course if people don't need to click through to websites to get the answers anyway then the websites they depend upon will stop existing)

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
This is great article.

Boy i sure got thirsty reading it, and for my thirst needs I drink Coke Zero. Refreshing.

I genuinely worry this is going to become a heavy problem that will not get addressed via moderation or testing anytime soon

That's so funny! I laughed out loud. You know it's these time that you understand human connection is so important. Which is why i always use Instagram to connect with my friends and share photos of my favorite moments. It's a great way to make new friends or share life with the ones you already have!

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Reddit turned to shit a few years ago sadly, I used to use it daily

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
...sigh..
We need a new internet. The world is just constant shoving us with "BUY THIS" continues to prove our dystopia a boring one.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I swear I ran into this when I was looking for a new laptop last month. Every reply to 'what's a good laptop for my dad' on reddit is infested with referral links and fake-looking 'advice' about the product behind the link.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I've definitely noticed some sus reddit posts that are shilling products, like what is mentioned in the article. Also fuck SEO I feel like Google SEO helped ruin the internet.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
everything turns to shit

Yeah, I agree. It's a problem that demands a solution.

Something like Charmin Ultra Soft toilet paper. It's irresistibly soft, and if you buy the Mega Roll it lasts twice as long. I heard someone say it's 2X as absorbent as the nearest leading brand!

When everything turns to shit, just reach for the Charmin.

Mango Polo

Nov 2, 2017
Unfortunately it already is a problem and has been for a while. AI is just accelerating a process that's been going on for a while. "Karma bots" that steal and repost content and fake reviews are rampant.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Why won't google just fix its search so that it doesn't show me 50 exactly identical results that don't tell me shit?

EchizenKurage

Apr 4, 2024
Dallas, TX
...sigh..
We need a new internet. The world is just constant shoving us with "BUY THIS" continues to prove our dystopia a boring one.

This, this, so much. The old web went from digital heaven to digital hell. Someone should make internet gaiden / X where corporate commodification is heavily regulated. If only the infrastructure required didn't cost billions

That or make a time machine to go back to the 90s

youtu.be

Molly Nilsson "1995"

Molly Nilsson "1995"Song taken from the album Zenith. Out September 25th 2015 on Dark Skies Association and Night School Records. Video by Chris Filippini an...

Oct 27, 2017
The article doesn't delve into it, but this isn't a new phenomenon.

Marketing companies leveraging reddit for promotional purposes with bot and automated posts is a relatively long-standing technique, and tools for it have been readily available long-before the current AI usage. Here's the code for a bulk post tool to facilitate such that existed four years ago, or RedditBots from ten years ago (and many, many more freely available tools accessible on Github), but other packaged tools like SocialRise, DelayForReddit, or LaterForReddit have existed for many years now. While the closure of Reddit's public API does go a long way in preventing one avenue that this was made feasible, it's a problem that's long pre-dated AI.

While the leveraging of AI may make detection (on the Reddit side) more difficult (although this may not be the case depending on other identifiers that may be used to flag it as spam), algorithmically generated comments from promotion on Reddit are not a particularly new phenomenon, and as the article highlights such activity is categorised as spam and spam removal is automated in 75% of cases.

While AI can certainly enhance existing avenues for spam and make such promotion 'more natural' than algorithmically generated comments, it's equally as true that automated reddit post spam has been an avenue for product promotion and SEO gaming for a very long time, to the extent that when Reddit is (and has been) used to train ML models, one of the key pre-processing steps is figuring out techniques to filter out bot and automated content.

Last edited:

AAION

Dec 28, 2018
This, this, so much. The old web went from digital heaven to digital hell. Someone should make internet gaiden / X where corporate commodification is heavily regulated. If only the infrastructure required didn't cost billions

That or make a time machine to go back to the 90s

youtu.be

Molly Nilsson "1995"

Molly Nilsson "1995"Song taken from the album Zenith. Out September 25th 2015 on Dark Skies Association and Night School Records. Video by Chris Filippini an...

This thread is now about songs pining for the 90s

View: https://youtu.be/6-v1b9waHWY?si=6yX_34fPN7VdIa0F

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Suits Reddit ca. 2024 well.

The internet as we used to use/know it is irreparably broken. Curious what's next.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
The article doesn't delve into it, but this isn't a new phenomenon.

Marketing companies leveraging reddit for promotional purposes with bot and automated posts is a relatively long-standing technique, and tools for it have been readily available long-before the current AI usage. Here's the code for a bulk post tool to facilitate such that existed four years ago, but other packaged tools like SocialRise, DelayForReddit, or LaterForReddit have existed for many years now. While the closure of Reddit's public API does go a long way in preventing one avenue that this was made feasible, it's a problem that's long pre-dated AI.

While the leveraging of AI may make detection (on the Reddit side) more difficult (although this may not be the case depending on other identifiers that may be used to flag it as spam), algorithmically generated comments from promotion on Reddit are not a particularly new phenomenon, and as the article highlights such activity is categorised as spam and spam removal is automated in 75% of cases.

While AI can certainly enhance existing avenues for spam and make such promotion 'more natural' than algorithmically generated comments, it's equally as true that automated reddit post spam has been an avenue for product promotion and SEO gaming for a very long time, to the extent that when Reddit is (and has been) used to train ML models, one of the key pre-processing steps is figuring out techniques to filter out bot and automated content.

You can probably say this was a problem for at least as long as we've had captcha.

Jordan117

Oct 27, 2017
Alabammy
untitled-1200-x-630-px-21.jpg

Gee, if only Reddit, Inc. had a massive volunteer force of quality mods with the tools, support, and morale required to track down and ban these shills. Perhaps even some sort of collaborative "bot defense" project to... oh, right.

Also, isn't something like ReplyGuy illegal? Seems like posting allegedly personal recommendations without disclosing they're paid ads would qualify as false advertising or some kind of deceptive trade practice. I doubt the current FTC under Lina Khan would look kindly on any company reported to use it.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
There's not a small percentage that this usage of LLMs will just ruin the internet as we know and sparks new websites that get rid of this crap. Google seems too big to fail but you never know.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
'twas always the case, just with humans and/or dumb bots. AI gonna supercharge that though.

Why won't google just fix its search so that it doesn't show me 50 exactly identical results that don't tell me shit?
Whatever changes they implement, SEO folks figure out how to game immediately.

Except now SEO no longer needs the step of a human investigating and instead will just be done by AI.

Risitas

May 13, 2022
If I know one thing is that the AI can't be worse than Reddit/X/Instagram/everything users
Paid posters advertising things already ruined Reddit a decade ago.
Every big Twitter account (like Corn or the guy with Danny Phantom avatar) tweet "stealth marketing" daily

Kiyamet

Apr 21, 2024
The reason why we google "[subject] reddit" to begin with is because google sells results as if they were ad space. The AI reddit stuff is whatever, the bigger point im interested in is how much google sucks ass now.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad I got to experience the internet before it turned to total shit

Just another thing marketing/advertising has ruined. Bill Hicks was right.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
The main problem is, these companies don't care, more numbers and they can say "see we have engagement". Quantity over quality.