Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
If it pops off, stay safe, Memphis (and any other city that protests) Era.

And by that, I mean stay safe from the cops, and find strength in solidarity.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't going to watch anyway because I'm tired of gawking at Black trauma. But an hour of suffering should definitely result in protests and riots regardless.

SigEpTendo

Oct 27, 2017
The Shadows
Memphian here who leads a charter school downtown, literally blocks from city hall, the courthouse, and the county jail. In an abundance of caution we're dismissing a few hours early to ensure we can get our students and staff home safely before the impending release of the footage.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah a lot of my friends that work downtown Atlanta are being allowed to leave work early due to the potential riots. My dad works downtown for a university and I'm trying to get him to understand he has to leave work early too.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
The wet napkin of a Governor here in Georgia has also declared a state of emergency - mostly because of cop city protests but also because of planned protests related to this incident:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/atlant...of-emergency-activates-national-guard-troops/

Cop City is my favorite story out of the whole idea still pushed by right wing media that 'defund' worked.

www.nbcnews.com

What is ‘Cop City’? How opposition to an Atlanta police center prompted national demonstrations

Officials plan to build an 85-acre, $90 million training facility through an Atlanta forest — despite fierce public opposition.

The city and the Atlanta Police Foundation are working together to build the training center, which is set to be a sprawling $90 million campus stretching 85 acres into the DeKalb County woods just outside Atlanta city limits.

The land is known as the Old Atlanta Prison Farm, where prisoners labored in poor working conditions for much of the 20th century. The new project would be a training site for members of the Atlanta Police Department, Atlanta Fire Rescue, the city's 911 call center and K-9 units. It would also include an administrative building, several acres for farming, a shooting range and a "mock city" where law enforcement could conduct burn building and "urban police" training.

As plans for the center progressed in 2021, Mayor Bottoms lauded the project as a "sensible reform" necessary to boost morale, retention and recruitment in the city's law enforcement agencies.

Every sentence here is worse than the next, so kudos to all involved. I also love how the narrative regarding that story is the cops roll up to a hippie protestor who's been there peacefully for days if not weeks and the Phish fan suddenly decides to go Rambo and they have to murder him to protect themselves but hey, if they said it they can't be lying /s.

Which circles back to this post; queue lots of police talking heads about 'community healing' and 'bridging the gap' and 'not all bad apples' and 'this makes our lives tougher' in the 24-7 news media cycle today so we know it's going to be some shit later. Perhaps they can get a nice photo-op during the protests later while calling righteous angry people 'thugs'.

View: https://twitter.com/attorneyross/status/1321984781652008961?s=61&t=7sApf-B0oJz4OrINlqWm9Q

Last edited:

anamika

May 18, 2018
This shouldn't even be a qualifier. Police aren't suppose to beat guilty people to death either.
I wasn't using the word innocent as in innocent/guilt. I meant like the innocence of life - like the young guy in the video just having fun skateboarding and just living. Obviously no one deserves to be beaten and executed this way.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't using the word innocent as in innocent/guilt. I meant like the innocence of life - like the young guy in the video just having fun skateboarding and just living. Obviously no one deserves to be beaten and executed this way.

I know it's just one of those things. People see it, they repeat it, they're not even thinking about it until, oh yeah...

Alternade

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmmmm they sure were quick to fire and charge these 5 men, I wonder what could be different about them?

darkdieu

Alt Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2022
Hmmmmm they sure were quick to fire and charge these 5 men, I wonder what could be different about them?

99% of these threads are usually about how the system takes so long to do x. They cant just fire on spot and charge because of y. Police unions are so strong when z happens.

Meanwhile these brothers are going to be hung live on tv next week. Just goes to show you how far they go to protect white officers. They can gum up works. Make up excuses for bodycam data. DA is in it with them. The whole system regurgitates any attempt at accountability for white cops generally/good vegas betting odds.

Im upset 2 fold. 1 another life lost. And 2. How amazingly simple accountability is for police. Its right here no new laws needed. Just read a report. Look at a video. Then fire the Motherfuckers amd charge them with crimes. This is what everyone wants. But we all know why this is moving at ludicrous speed.

Im numb to the deaths and just live a life that i could be next. But its infuriating to see justice is so easy under black circumstances. Its a reflection of the entire system. Its just so impossible to have this be standard.

kreepmode

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
So i've read they were fired and charged quickly because because the city of Memphis just voted in a brand new DA and the city council chose a new police chief who both pledged to hold police accountable.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
There's something so terrifying over the fact that we have to wait for the footage to release. The fact that the cops, who are notorious for their brutality and opacity, are apprehensive about releasing the footage in the first place speaks volumes. Days like this remind me why the police should be defunded and eventually abolished as a whole, but we know are government is too cowardly to stand up to the police.

KyleH

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
If the video is as bad it seems and with the media seemingly trying to get people riled up, maybe releasing it on a Friday night is not a great idea.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like this is all lining up to be a firestorm of public protest. When you speedrun cops actually being in trouble -- and yes, the officers here not being white is the layers of the system failing to protect them on purpose, despite even now they're using the "the bodycams don't tell the whole story, we promise" card -- but they're already trying to play defensive on the footage not yet shared to the public, this sounds grave. This footage released during the evening is another tell, kind of telling people who work a typical 9-5 or a school day to really end a little early today. This has to be some absolutely awful stuff.

I'm expecting things to get pretty aggressive, which of course means more eyes on the police and how they respond, and more specifically, how they'll fuck it up and actually assure more aggression in this scenario. It wasn't too long ago we had nationwide protests that consistently proved the issue was police all along to public demonstration and protests even when the protests were because of the police.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
There's some gross press conference on right now where somebody was pleading "look at the severity of these charges! We charged them with kidnapping!", as if that's going to make everything better.

They're panicking, but entirely unwilling to do the things that will actually correct the issue.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Memphian here who leads a charter school downtown, literally blocks from city hall, the courthouse, and the county jail. In an abundance of caution we're dismissing a few hours early to ensure we can get our students and staff home safely before the impending release of the footage.

I WFH so it doesn't effect me, but our main office is located in Memphis, and they're locking up the building to only have keycard access and allowing those who are in the office to head home early and work remotely if they want to.

darkdieu

Alt Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2022
Sounds like this is all lining up to be a firestorm of public protest. When you speedrun cops actually being in trouble -- and yes, the officers here not being white is the layers of the system failing to protect them on purpose, despite even now they're using the "the bodycams don't tell the whole story, we promise" card -- but they're already trying to play defensive on the footage not yet shared to the public, this sounds grave. This footage released during the evening is another tell, kind of telling people who work a typical 9-5 or a school day to really end a little early today. This has to be some absolutely awful stuff.

I'm expecting things to get pretty aggressive, which of course means more eyes on the police and how they respond, and more specifically, how they'll fuck it up and actually assure more aggression in this scenario. It wasn't too long ago we had nationwide protests that consistently proved the issue was police all along to public demonstration and protests even when the protests were because of the police.

Yep. Time to see how effective police can be when youre not a white man beatin them to death trying to destroy democracy and hang nancy pelosi.

This should be good. National guard is likely going to be deployed. And the foreign legion. Sorry ukraine. Memphis is gunna need those leopards.

So sick of this.

Deleted user 125633

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 13, 2022
Another reminder that anything bad that happens to any cop is always a good thing.

Fucking hell. They beat this man for an hour. Fucking hell.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
All the concern trolling in here is so blantant.

Everyone is glad they are fired (they still need to get hit with the books though).

But people would like that to happen across the board when shit like this takes place. And it's obvious why it doesn't.

Fuck out of here acting like no one cares that this man died. That's literally the reason people want more severe punishment. And not just the time that the 5 fucking cops happen to be black.

Jesus, what are the odds man? I don't even think I've seen 5 black cops in the last 5 years of my life unless it was in fictional media.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. Time to see how effective police can be when youre not a white man beatin them to death trying to destroy democracy and hang nancy pelosi.

This should be good. National guard is likely going to be deployed. And the foreign legion. Sorry ukraine. Memphis is gunna need those leopards.

So sick of this.

Tennessee a right wing state too, so the national guard will be coming for scalps if this gets really bad.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So sick of this.

We're going to see regular ass police prepared as if we were invaded by a terrorist cell from an action movie as a "last stand" in comparison to the sore dick limping law enforcement had on an actual attempted coup on the United States capitol. US police are going to show why they're the third largest military force in the world tonight.

To be honest and this speaks to my foolishness, I didn't even consider the capitol insurrection when thinking of police. It was too light to what we know they do to dissent. Tonight's going to look even worse because it will be contrasted with the BLM protests and January 6th, and the duality of aggression is going to be unfathomable to put into words. You'd think with that background it would assume there'd be caution here, but we all know it before it's happened: we will have multiple eyewitness footage of instances where people protest in peace and then the police come in with IDF tactics that ensure a hostile environment. Police will, as always, claim one story of "aggressive protestors" that footage of regular civilians, and perhaps in the case of the BLM protests even the fucking press show in real time and call out as a lie.

How often and where that happens today is the question mark, but it will happen. And it's tiring, because the problems are so obvious and the bullshit excuses and defenses are so hollow and tiring. Fox News will already have their story of "police were given swift justice, why are people protesting now?" failing to realize it was only because there was something not quite all white about these officers. The rest of the playbook of bullshit and deflection is the same, they just skipped past the first few steps on the flowchart. If these cops looked different, we'd perhaps be at this step what, 12~18 months from today? They'd still be getting paid, and what the fuck does that say about all this?

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
If it's as bad as they're saying, they're releasing it on a Friday to avoid potential disruptions to the business week.

Friday news dumps are done because it's the shortest and least viewed new cycle. Bad news is usually published late on Fridays to soften the reach as people are not paying as much attention usually.

The only days better are nights before major holidays.

darkdieu

Alt Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2022
We're going to see regular ass police prepared as if we were invaded by a terrorist cell from an action movie as a "last stand" in comparison to the sore dick limping law enforcement had on an actual attempted coup on the United States capitol. US police are going to show why they're the third largest military force in the world tonight.

To be honest and this speaks to my foolishness, I didn't even consider the capitol insurrection when thinking of police. It was too light to what we know they do to dissent. Tonight's going to look even worse because it will be contrasted with the BLM protests and January 6th, and the duality of aggression is going to be unfathomable to put into words. You'd think with that background it would assume there'd be caution here, but we all know it before it's happened: we will have multiple eyewitness footage of instances where people protest in peace and then the police come in with IDF tactics that ensure a hostile environment. Police will, as always, claim one story of "aggressive protestors" that footage of regular civilians, and perhaps in the case of the BLM protests even the fucking press show in real time and call out as a lie.

How often and where that happens today is the question mark, but it will happen. And it's tiring, because the problems are so obvious and the bullshit excuses and defenses are so hollow and tiring. Fox News will already have their story of "police were given swift justice, why are people protesting now?" failing to realize it was only because there was something not quite all white about these officers. The rest of the playbook of bullshit and deflection is the same, they just skipped past the first few steps on the flowchart. If these cops looked different, we'd perhaps be at this step what, 12~18 months from today? They'd still be getting paid, and what the fuck does that say about all this?
18 months if we were lucky. I tried to avoid this thread. But the firings brought me in. I should have known better. Trying not to get as heated this year on. You said everything on my mind as well.

Someone did post mephis has a new da and new chief that is going to be tough on accountability. But even the notion that its needed and is a thing is just depressing. It should be the baseline for you know, enforcing laws? Just have so far to go in this country. Its a shitty matrix loop.

Vinsanity

Nov 2, 2018
My heart was breaking watching the attorney speaking earlier with the mother behind him - the entire culture needs to change, defund the fucking police now.

Jul 7, 2021

Violence is never acceptable! Says the president of the nation who blows up children with drones as retaliation and for political maneuvering, and supports an apartheid government. And has police departments that are SPECIFICALLY trained to escalate situations and use violence for even the most minor of issues.

Yeah ok Mr Biden.

Violence for ye, but not for me.

BigSkinny0310

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
On the today show they said it will be released on youtube at 7pm EST. The reason listed was so that all kids were out of school and home after extracurricular activities.

Sometime this evening. Probably after work and school, as another poster just said. This is also a sign they know it's not good and the video itself can possibly cause some social disruption.

The local news stations have been stating 6 PM today.
ahh, ok

ChrisBliss117

Oct 28, 2017
Violence is never acceptable! Says the president of the nation who blows up children with drones as retaliation and for political maneuvering, and supports an apartheid government. And has police departments that are SPECIFICALLY trained to escalate situations and use violence for even the most minor of issues.

Yeah ok Mr Biden.

Violence for ye, but not for me.
Yeah I always roll my eyes when politicians say violence is never the answer considering the founding of our nation, removal of Native Americans, labor rights, etc.

Oct 26, 2017
I can't bring myself to watch the video.

It really feels like whenever there's even the tiniest step forward on police reform, it's two steps forward, ten steps back.

Fractology

Oct 28, 2017
I'm already sick to my stomach thinking how not only did these officers commit a seemingly heinous murder, they did the entire thing KNOWING they have body cams capturing every moment from multiple angles. Obviously the body cam as a means to keep oneself in check is a farce.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, not going to watch this. The older I get, the more this shit haunts me. But seeing whatever unfolds from the public reaction may be just as nightmarish. Deserved as much of the anger is.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
I need to watch this. I don't want to become complacent. I hear myself saying "aw, another one" lately and moving on. I don't want to do that.

It sounds horrific. Truly awful.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Oh man, this is getting 2020 and Eric Gardner notes of similarities and the video isn't out yet.

Fuck.