• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder; a less powerful police union? A state and local gov on it since they had one of the more infamous hate crimes in modern history? Id like to see the stats though because I can imagine where high profile stakes they are on it, but you're still going to see the insane sentencing or even something as mundane as car ticket disparity.
Yeah I'm not sure tbh. Nobody really talks about it. When I bring it up to cops, they agree with the firing and sentencing but don't say much else. Republicans just nod when I mention this. But they can never tell me why.

Personally, I think the GOP leadership here fear protesting so much they'd rather do what's right. Maybe. They're not perfect; there's def racist white and black cops here.

I'll have to keep looking into it.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
OP knew what they were doing putting the officer pics at the bottom.

It's an important reminder that America has a cop problem and a race problem, but even in an imaginary world where there are no racial disparities, there is still a problem with the entire policing system. Nobody should have that kind of power. They've been fired…cool. Who is going to arrest them?

Black cops kill a man.
Black cops get fired.

Era: WE ALL KNOW WHY THEY WERE REALLY FIRED!!!!!

Fucking hell.
Nobody is saying they shouldn't be fired. You are misreading the meaning behind everybody's posts.

CNoodles

Banned
Mar 7, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissive Commentary Over Racism; Long History and Severe Bans for Dismissive Behavior
Man all of you talking about why the police were fired because of the race are weird af. Filthy pigs assaulted the poor guy so bad that they broke his damn neck and caused him to go into cardiac arrest. If there is footage of that then the actual reason they were fired so fast is not because of their race but because of the brutality of their actions. They are going to hope firing is all they get but they for sure gonna get time if their is footage of this.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Man all of you talking about why the police were fired because of the race are weird af. Filthy pigs assaulted the poor guy so bad that they broke his damn neck and caused him to go into cardiac arrest. If there is footage of that then the actual reason they were fired so fast is not because of their race but because of the brutality of their actions. They are going to hope firing is all they get but they for sure gonna get time if their is footage of this.

And the other 93728194848482 times the blue form up like Voltron and stands by their own despite killings like this?

Exactly…..

Just a strange coincidence, right?

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
First thing i tought, Are the officers black?, then i scrolled down, yep.

Edit: I hope they rot in jail

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
And the other 93728194848482 times the blue form up like Voltron and stands by their own despite killings like this?

Exactly…..

Just a strange coincidence, right?

I think waiting to see the video is important before jumping to conclusions, but with what we know currently it does seem like they weren't protected because they aren't white.

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017

Why is it weird? White cops literally murder people all the time and get a light slap on the wrist, at most. These black officers murdered a man and were fired without question. Do you not see why people are acknowledging the difference here?

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Why is it weird? White cops literally murder people all the time and get a light slap on the wrist, at most. These black officers murdered a man and were fired without question. Do you not see why people are acknowledging the difference here?
Relevant:
www.theguardian.com

‘It never stops’: killings by US police reach record high in 2022

Law enforcement killed at least 1,176 people or about 100 people a month last year, making it the deadliest for police violence
Most deadly year on record…mainly cause we just started keeping track.

Jan 18, 2018
Black cops kill a man.
Black cops get fired.

Fucking hell.
Think for a second. Just a second.

Because it's the fuckin truth. They deserve too be fired but let's not act like this shit don't happen all the time and we gotta clench cheeks hoping cops actually get in trouble for the shit. You know what people mean when they say we know why they were fired so quickly. I swear folks were "aware" during the protests and the pandemic and as soon as yall were allowed to go back outside yall went back to playing dumb.

niccoolnic

Nov 20, 2020
Salt Lake City, UT
So how do you explain white cops who aren't fired when there's footage of them killing people? Has nothing to do with race I'm sure.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

I mean, even if I agree with you lets be 100% real, we are celebrating five guys who murdered someone and at this level they are not in jail, but lol, got fired. Yeah, investigation! etc. If i worked at an amazon warehouse and we beat one of our co-workers to death they wouldn't even have time to fire me before im slammed onto a cop car.

We are going on two weeks for these assholes, with them presumably less 'investigation' and more "Damn, so we might have to let y'all take this on the chin". So yeah, our cynicism is well earned. Elsewhere I posted examples of how investigations showed that black cops are disciplined at a much higher rate.

CNoodles

Banned
Mar 7, 2019
It's fucking weird because that's the only thing y'all are pointing out. The brutality of this case is insanely high but the only thing y'all are mentioning is they got fired because they are black. This is not a case where cops got trigger happy. These pigs literally beat this guy to death. What a way to misread the room lol

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
A guy named Emmit lynching someone with a group of rabid murderers. Can't make this shit up.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The posts on Reddit are pretty foreboding. Like the rumor in Memphis is that the video is so bad they didn't even hesitate to fire the cops.

They need to release the video. I'm assuming after that they'll also need to prosecute the cops for murder. If it wasn't in a major city this shit would absolutely be swept under the rug though.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
It's fucking weird because that's the only thing y'all are pointing out. The brutality of this case is insanely high but the only thing y'all are mentioning is they got fired because they are black. This is not a case where cops got trigger happy. These pigs literally beat this guy to death. What a way to misread the room lol

Because its all the same. Yeah, this one 'Looks' brutal: we have the hospital photos and a description of his injuries. He died in a terrible way.

But just because those bullets are 'cleaner' deaths (in some scenarios) doesn't mean they are any less tragic or even more doubt. If anything it shows that only extreme brutality gets punished because its harder to hide, but a few gunshots are expected because then 12 year old boy made me fear for my life.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Weirdly enough, South Carolina. They had two white cops shoot unarmed black people. One incident in Charleston, where the white cop shot Walter Scott in the back. Killing him. The cop was fired three days later and was charged with murder. 20 years.

Another happened in Columbia. A white officer shot an unarmed black man pulling out his wallet. Like, the cop showed up, asked for his wallet, guy gets wallet and cop just blasts him. Fortunately, the victim lived. But the state fired this cop within a few days as well and charged him. He got 12 years.

A smaller incident that happened last year I think: a Columbia cop called a black man the N word on a Saturday night. Cop was fired that Monday.

It's really weird. They seem to hold police accountable here… it's one of the few things they get right down here. I'm not sure why.
Georgia has a couple cases too, with the most prominent recent one being the cop that murdered Rayshard Brooks, where APD fired him the very next day

Of course, they had to rehire him with backpay because he sued over how quickly it happened meaning they didn't wait to do a cursory investigation so there was a rights violation (even though, come on), though there's probably an argument to be made that him getting rehired only happened because he was white

Deleted member 10780

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2022
Some people just can't be helped.

Acknowledging that their skin color is the only reason they were fired while their lighter skinned companions get paid vacation does not take away from the fact that they are pieces of shit who executed a man. We are complex creatures that are capable of thinking more than 1 thing at a time.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking brutes, hope they face lengthy time in jail.

I saw the headline and thought "That's how it should be. I wonder why it actually happened?" and then scrolled down and saw the pictures of the officers. Goddamn man.
Yep 100% Frist thing, I thought was "wow, that was quick... I wonder why they were so f....", yeah as obvious as day.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Good riddance to bad trash.

But we all know why we got justice this time.

Black cops kill a man.
Black cops get fired.

Fucking hell.

I know this schickt. This is the "liberals and leftists are never satisfied" thing.

People who say things like this never seem to realize that justice is not an end state. It is a continuing action. So just because ONE good thing happens does not mean to have to all shut up and suck off the status quo.

And to be clear we are all HAPPY that these assholes were all fired and hopefully (?) charged. We are all just jaded because this sort of rapid and clear response seems to coincide with something that may explain it.

Last edited:

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Georgia has a couple cases too, with the most prominent recent one being the cop that murdered Rayshard Brooks, where APD fired him the very next day

Of course, they had to rehire him with backpay because he sued over how quickly it happened meaning they didn't wait to do a cursory investigation so there was a rights violation (even though, come on), though there's probably an argument to be made that him getting rehired only happened because he was white
I see. Interesting. I'll have to look those cases up. The rehire part is strange.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Black cops kill a man.
Black cops get fired.

Fucking hell.
I'm sure you'll come back to defend this dogshit eventually, king 🙏

Anyhow, while I'm glad these dudes are fired, it's not hard to see that they're scapegoating the black cops so they can turn around and pretend like they're not actually pigs and/or pig-fuckers.

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
so there is footage and they were simply fired....and not like...I don't know

fucking arrested for murder or involuntary manslaughter.

LIke every single cop that does this type of shit should be immediately

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
www.independent.co.uk

Sixth Memphis police officer fired over Tyre Nichols killing

Nichols family had accused officials of ‘shielding’ sixth officer from consequences

The Memphis police chief is calling for calm ahead of the release of bodycam footage from the "heinous, reckless and inhumane" death of Tyre Nichols – as she warned it will reveal how five police officers failed the Black man, his family and their community and showed a "disregard for basic human rights".
Memphis Police Chief Cerelyn Davis said in a press conference on Wednesday evening that people will then "see this for yourselves" how the officers' actions were "a failing of basic humanity towards another individual".

"I expect you to feel what the Nichols family feels. I expect you to feel outraged by the disregard for basic human rights as our police officers have taken an oath to do the opposite of what transpired on the video," she said.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
If you want calm, charge them for murder.

Black people have no obligation to respect the order of a system that makes it clear it is all too happy to kill them.

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
They BROKE HIS NECK which made him go into cardiac arrest... So basically, they killed him and only lose their jobs. What kind of fucking logic is THAT!?

They really need to start making body cam footage some sort of public right to see. Make all footage be uploaded to a server or something. I bet you once the public is allowed to view body cam footage at will, maybe we'll start seeing them act A BIT better?

LetsEatSnacks

Oct 18, 2020
United States
She should have just went ahead and said what the footage shows moment to moment. It's almost like they're hyping the release by being so coy about the contents.

Yeah, I kind of feel like this whole, "you will not believe what you're about to see" crap is basically a promotion. The more you talk about how bad it is, the more likely people will want to watch it.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
If you want calm, charge them for murder.

Black people have no obligation to respect the order of a system that makes it clear it is all too happy to kill them.

That's not in the chief's purview, but a DA call right? Firing them is about all they can do until they get formally charged.

Though, she could have them arrested, yeah?

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
They really need to start making body cam footage some sort of public right to see. Make all footage be uploaded to a server or something. I bet you once the public is allowed to view body cam footage at will, maybe we'll start seeing them act A BIT better?
I doubt it. Non-Black people largely do not care about Black lives, especially with regards to maintaining so-called systems of order and civility. You see it on here all the time; when the chips are down even liberals will lean into the same pro-cop rhetoric conservatives do, inherently ensuring that more of us will die.

Mild reforms will not solve this. Black people fighting and organizing for their own security and autonomy is the only solution.

Funkelpop

Banned
Sep 2, 2022
Just seeing this now, but the cops were fucked and deserved it. But the fact they were fired so quickly makes me feel uneasy. You know white cops get their department throwing every excuse in the book to keep them on the force.

·feist·

Oct 26, 2017
Good that the officers were fired (should be criminally tried for muder as well), but we know why they were fired.
I initially avoided details of this tragedy. It wasn't long that I noticed Fox News seemed to be vigorously (in a relative sense) covering the story... which is very strange for many obvious reasons. I thought to myself "one or more of the cops must be Black."

Then I saw photos of all the officers, and yeah...