SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I've drank 2 year old Special edition cans of Pop before, and still is decent. Keep it chilled as it extends its life a bit.

beat

Oct 28, 2017
Carbonated drinks in plastic bottles gradually lose fizziness because the container is slightly porous. On the plus side they're slightly over carbonated at the factory to account for a little loss of carbonation.

Oct 25, 2017
I got nervous this was one of those "im gonna drink a special edition soda from 1996" situations. But not even a week past the date? You're fine lol.

Oct 25, 2017
It really depends. I drank a regular coke the other day that hadn't been opened and only expired a week before and it tasted atrocious

Used to think a few months on soda was fine then it just tastes flat

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure about regular soda but some kinds of diet soda start tasting off to me even before they hit the expiration date. Caffeine free Diet Coke especially.

Artificial sweeteners break down much faster than sugar and corn syrup. HFC soda will taste fine years after the expiration date, although the carbonation may lessen over time. Diet/Zero Sugar stuff tastes off much faster. Mountain Dew Baja Blast Zero starts tasting bad even before it hits the date, like you said.

Oct 25, 2017
what happened to 3 liters, now even the store brand sodas have stopped them
They cut them about 10 years ago, it was one of the first cuts when soda sells were declining.
they were less popular with the average person as they were more likely to get flat before people finished them.
They started pushing the minicans and bottles a lot harder around that time

You can still find them some places in Texas I think

Honestly 2 litres have gotten so expensive post Covid I don't even buy the main brands anymore .
Nearly $3 for a Coke 2L, $1.40 for Walmart brand and it's on sale for $1 all the time.
Doesn't taste nearly as good but the diets are decent and actually better than diet pepsi

Nich

Oct 26, 2017
While we're all in here, what about Gatorade? I have a couple of six-packs I bought in mid-2020 in case I needed to quarantine for a couple weeks. Never did catch COVID (so far as I know) but I still have the gatorade. Is it safe to drink?

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
We used to have a store around here that pretty much only sold already or really close to expired stuff. It was all usually less than half of retail, and not much more than a couple months past best by dates. Even TastyKake sold some of their stuff there. Sadly the chain shuttered mere months before the pandemic. I've wondered if they would have seen greatly increased business during the lockdowns or if they'd have run into supply issues with presumably far less inventory from traditional stores being shrunk due to age. (That's mainly how they got their stuff.)

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I would go for that even if it was expired 5 months lmao

bunbun777

Oct 29, 2017
Nw
Think of it this way, you should pay yourself 50 cents for every Pepsi you don't buy and drink. If you don't drink 100 of them that's $50 you just earned to buy anything you want.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I had some cans of coke only 4 months past expiration (they had been sitting in an office cabinet during covid) and basically they had separated into syrup and carbonated water. It was vile.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
in my experience it will start to taste off around 3 months past the expiration date, at least the pre-bottled and canned products.

I've had many soda machines spit out bottles more than 3 months past the expiration date, which always irritates me.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
Just remember to boil it first.

XXDksJH.jpg

dr-pepper_hot_ad_1963_flickr.jpg

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
They cut them about 10 years ago, it was one of the first cuts when soda sells were declining.
they were less popular with the average person as they were more likely to get flat before people finished them.
They started pushing the minicans and bottles a lot harder around that time

You can still find them some places in Texas I think

Honestly 2 litres have gotten so expensive post Covid I don't even buy the main brands anymore .
Nearly $3 for a Coke 2L, $1.40 for Walmart brand and it's on sale for $1 all the time.
Doesn't taste nearly as good but the diets are decent and actually better than diet pepsi
Low key, not even going to lie. Ice cold Mountain Thunder is amazing