• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think the Trump administration is hot garbage led by a pigfucking beast man, but acting like that WH tweet is anything but standard American policy, including by the Obama and Clinton administrations, is just inaccurate. Virtually every President we've had has muttered the magical words "Israel had the right to defend itself" after Israel "defended" itself against a bunch of innocent people.

There is zero chance the Obama administration would have tweeted out a victim blaming statement. At worst it would have been a neutral "we're monitoring the situation" or a more side ways condemnation like "we're deeply concerned with the loss of life" type of thing. Obama was the most anti-Israel president in terms of public reaction and policy, even if he sent them aid.

zer0blivion

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I think the Trump administration is hot garbage led by a pigfucking beast man, but acting like that WH tweet is anything but standard American policy, including by the Obama and Clinton administrations, is just inaccurate. Virtually every President we've had has muttered the magical words "Israel had the right to defend itself" after Israel "defended" itself against a bunch of innocent people.
As much as I dislike the "both sides" rhetoric, when it comes to Israel/Palestine US relations, the Democratic party is no different from the Republicans.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Everything I've heard from my step brother who lived in Isreael for 15 years just proves exactly what the problem is here. Israeli people for the most part are taught to treat the Palestinians as sub human, below them. The media drills this into them every single day and the warmongering government use anti palestinian propaganda to hide what the IDF are doing and spinning it to make it look like their brave soldiers are standing up to fight against people who they say want to destroy Israel.

The Israeli's who vote people like Netenyahu in are the same people who sit ontop of towers watching bombs go off over the border and the same sort that shoot at innocent people. There are good Israeli's and especially a lot of younger Israeli children thanks to the internet are becoming more liberal, but the longer the west supports Israel the worse it is going to get.

The general population of Israel at this point are living in one big propaganda machine and I genuinely have no idea how on earth anyone can change anything. It's an awful, awful situation. RIP to all the innocent people who died.

OP
OP
Gemüsepizza

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/u-s-embassy-gaza-protests-and-nakba-day-live-updates-1.6078190

At least some governments are doing something:

9:10 P.M. South Africa recalls ambassador to Israel over Gaza deaths

South Africa said Monday that due to the death toll in Gaza, the country would be recall its ambassador to Jerusalem.

"Given the indiscriminate and grave manner of the latest Israeli attack, the government has taken the decision to recall Ambassador Sisa Ngombane with immediate effect until further notice," a statement said.

I guess the South Africans recognize what's happening there, and they don't like it.

Unfortunately, the number of people killed has risen to 55 now, according to latest reports.

nemoral

Oct 25, 2017
Fiddler's Green
There is zero chance the Obama administration would have tweeted out a victim blaming statement. At worst it would have been a neutral "we're monitoring the situation" or a more side ways condemnation like "we're deeply concerned with the loss of life" type of thing. Obama was the most anti-Israel president in terms of public reaction and policy, even if he sent them aid.
Obama literally used the exact same language in 2014 when Israel bombed Gaza media centers.

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando, FL
Gaza was part of Egypt from partition to 67. By that logic wouldn't East Jerusalem and the West Bank be Jordanian? Both Jordan and Egypt have renounced their claims, so why are you trying to tie Gaza to Egypt?

The occupation of Gaza is clearly not working. The people there do not consider themselves Israeli. It would be the best thing to do to give it back to Egypt as Israel did with the Sinai peninsula.

The Egyptian population would likely support this. Gaza has been controlled by outside forces since Roman times.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Obama used literally the same language in 2014 when Israel bombed Gaza media centers.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-28382100

Speaking to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday, he underlined his support for Israel's right to defend itself against Palestinian militants.

But he said he was "deeply concerned" about civilian losses, with the Palestinian death toll now over 300.

Fifteen Palestinians were reported killed in two incidents on Saturday morning, including a family of eight.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Obama used literally the same language in 2014 when Israel bombed Gaza media centers.
After Hamas fired missiles into israel. Israel's targets and intensity was wrong but they at least did have some reasonable claim to self defense.

This time the worst offense is throwing rocks with slingshots. I wonder if Obama really would let this one go like that.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
We pretty much see the response that will happen when Israel just up completes its final solution and buldoses the rest of Palestine for itself.

MBeanie

Oct 27, 2017
We pretty much see the response that will happen when Israel just up completed its final solution and buldoses the rest of Palestine for itself.

"Palestine never existed, it was all a propoganda attempt by [insert boogeyman here]."

So basically what they say to themselves today to keep expanding their borders.

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/u-s-embassy-gaza-protests-and-nakba-day-live-updates-1.6078190

At least some governments are doing something:

I guess the South Africans recognize what's happening there, and they don't like it.

Unfortunately, the number of people killed has risen to 55 now, according to latest reports.
South Africans understand very well what apartheid is.

Good on them for this. Hopefully more governments will follow.

Oct 28, 2017
The White House's disdain for the Palestinians is there for everyone to see.

The peace process is utterly dead unless a Democratic administration comes into power led by a President who is ardently passionate about the Palestinian cause, in a way Bernie Sanders is.

barackobama.jpg

nemoral

Oct 25, 2017
Fiddler's Green
After Hamas fired missiles into israel. Israel's targets and intensity was wrong but they at least did have some reasonable claim to self defense.

This time the worst offense is throwing rocks with slingshots. I wonder if Obama really would let this one go like that.
But the offense, according to Israel, is that they attempted to breach the border, not that they were throwing rocks. And if you really have to wonder, you haven't paid attention to sixty years of American policy on Israel. My point was never that Obama was as bad as Trump, it was that "Israel has the right to defend itself" as a response to outrageous overkill by the Israelis has been standard American policy for longer than I've been alive, and has been parroted by every President and most of the potential candidates. The issue goes considerably deeper than Trump or even the Republicans, and I don't think it's useful to pretend otherwise. Unless you're suggesting that the Gaza initiative in 2014 was a reasonable response to the missile attacks, then I think we probably fundamentally agree.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
This is ridiculous. We cannot let them get away with that sort of lie. Those deaths cannot be cast away as propaganda

zer0blivion

Oct 27, 2017
Canada

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
The occupation of Gaza is clearly not working. The people there do not consider themselves Israeli. It would be the best thing to do to give it back to Egypt as Israel did with the Sinai peninsula.

The Egyptian population would likely support this. Gaza has been controlled by outside forces since Roman times.
Egypt doesn't want Gaza, which they only had for a small period of time. You might as well offer Gaza to Britain or Turkey because it makes just as much sense. The Sinai and Gaza aren't comparable at all.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The White House's disdain for the Palestinians is there for everyone to see.

The peace process is utterly dead unless a Democratic administration comes into power led by a President who is ardently passionate about the Palestinian cause, in a way Bernie Sanders is.

barackobama.jpg

I remember when Bernie dared to suggest that Israel's actions have been disproportionate in one of the primary debates and at first I thought he was speaking a different language. it was really strange to hear a US politician not spout off the same old talking points.

This is from 2015 but there's one from a month or so ago that is essentially the same result. Israel can only get away with this because they are reflexively shielded by that "bastion of human rights."
US Abstains from UN vote condemning Israel

This was a pretty defining moment in US-Israel relations, and especially Obama-Israel relations.
This was the resolution where the Israelis reached out to the Trump campaign to try to create a go-around since Obama had abstained. Trump then had Kushner reach out to the Russian ambassador to try to get their vote since Obama told them to fuck off. Israeli collusion but no one is interested in that unless it involves Russia. Good on Obama to abstain.

Oct 28, 2017
I remember when Bernie dared to suggest that Israel's actions have been disproportionate in one of the primary debates and at first I thought he was speaking a different language. it was really strange to hear a US politician not spout off the same old talking points.
And he got pretty good applause for it, to the shock of many pundits.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
This is ridiculous. We cannot let them get away with that sort of lie. Those deaths cannot be cast away as propaganda
They'll get away with it because the world is at the mercy of the bullying tactics of the United States of America and too passive to levy any kind of meaningful resistance.
The Palestinian people are as good as dead. And their blood is on the hands of every other human being on the planet.

The real question that needs to be asked is... who will be next?

They'll get away with it because the world is at the mercy of the bullying tactics of the United States of America and too passive to levy any kind of meaningful resistance.
The Palestinian people are as good as dead. And their blood is on the hands of every other human being on the planet.

The real question that needs to be asked is... who will be next?
Shut like this is why the world is looking into dedollarization. US can bully and sanction because of the dollar's status as reserve currency.

And their hubris is getting too out of control.

EkStatiC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
There's limits and today israel crossed it.
Until today israel had formed a pseudo-apartheid that it was terrible for all the right reasons but today we are going to a different level.
As a human being i am feeling guilty, we must do something to change the situation asap.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I think he's still the only senator willing to condemn Israel for anything.

I guess Gillibrand and Booker have been less willing to vote for these pro-israel bills than usual too.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
User banned (1 week): Do not invoke Nazi comparisons in this topic. Many analogies are available to you, but not that one.
It's because Israel does not consider those people to be human on the same level as themselves.

That's at the core of it - they think they have greater rights and needs than them.

Once you cross that boundary, it's an open mandate for murder.
That's may be the most disturbing part for me. Hitler and the nazis viewed Jewish people as little more than rats, and now they turn around and view other humans as little more than rats.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
The whole thing has been stuck in my mind for hours, to them Palestinians are nothing more than sub human.

and of course the US government is gonna cover Israel's ass in any UN resolution and be their personal propaganda machine. Fuck these awful governments.