Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
No I mean single player story games. I'm not judging you. Just a whole world of options have opened to me.

it's really up to each person isn't it. This is all fun and games, like for example, nobody here can actually prove (lol) they played / finished these games. I guess when it boils down to each person has to decide if the game is "finished" for them or not. I rarely put games I didnt "finish", but I have in the past, like games where I dropped on the very last boss for example. It's silly to "count" it if I beat that last boss, but if I can't be arsed anymore and I drop it, all the time I spent on the game suddenly doesn't count?

But that's not to say I do it willy nilly, I drop tons of games I intend to return to / restart and don't add them. It's just when I feel I'm done with the game. Like I would for a moba for example. Or an MMO or whatever.

edit: a good example? I played over 100 hours of Skyrim Anniversary last year, didn't add it lol. I was pretty close to the end too, but I knew I was gonna go back and finish it and do the xpacs and shit eventually and didn't want to add it last year and then this year too without having finished it last year. Again, just arbitrary rules in the end :D

Last edited:

Whimsicalish

Dec 30, 2019
Midwest
05 | Family Mysteries 3: Criminal Mindset
PC | Jan 24 | 5.5 h | 3/5
dCPZXyc.png

An improvement over the previous two entries in the series. Generic story and characters. Most of the voice acting was alright; sadly, one in particular was pretty bad. The cut scenes and animations were okay. I kinda expect more from a game that was released just two years ago. but maybe that's unfair?

The puzzles themselves were better, which is the main reason you'd play a hidden object game. They weren't reskins of the previous games (the second is guilty of that) and there was less mindlessly guessing. There was a nice variety of puzzles and minigames.

Maybe it's my personal preference but these modern, realistic story HOGs aren't as fun as the fantasy genres. The stories are more generic; something you have watched in a TV show. They're more rigid, yet over the top. When something happens that wouldn't fly in real life, it's laughable. I feel like there's more creativity in fantasy.

Main Post

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
Can I sign up?

I don't know if I'll reach 52, but I'd like to see.

Currently I have beaten 13 games in 2022. (updated 3/10/22)

Tales of Arise
Pokemon Shining Pearl
Grandia 2 HD Remastered
Record of Lodoss War - SNES
Live a Live
Gunman's Proof
Pokemon Legends: Arceus
Ruined King: A League of Legend Story
Ghost of Tsushima
Mother 1 (Earthbound Beginnings)
Breath of Fire 2
Mystic Ark
Elden Ring

Last edited:

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
6) Curse of the Moon 2 - Switch
Another great modern retro that takes what the first Curse of the Moon did. I don't think it's a substantial upgrade over the first one but still a fun games

Who should play this?
Fans of 8-bit Castlevania Series

7) AC Odyssey - Legacy of the First Blade - PS5
It's more AC Odyssey with a couple of new (Overpowered) abilities that also attempts to tie in with past game(s).

Who should play this?
People who enjoyed AC Odyssey and want more of it

8) Battle Circuit - PS5
Part of the Capcom beat-em-up collection. This one in particular was my favorite as it gave more variety of characters - esp the appearances of them

Who should play this?
Fans of 16-bit era beat-em-ups esp Final Fight

9) Wolf Fang (Rohga Armor Force) - PS Vita via PS1 classic
This is an auto-running run'n'gun with mechs. Has a variety of path options to enhance replayability

Who should play this?
Contra fans who want a different take on the genre

10) Alien Syndrome - NES
Old school 8-bit game. top down view where the stage is transversing the map to rescue fellow humans while shooting aliens. After they are all rescued, you exit the level to fight a boss. You repeat this 5 more times then fight the final boss. Frankly I found the game a bit repetitive.

Who should play this?
Fans of the recent modern retro game Xenocrisis. Esp if they want to see a game that I would say heavily inspired it.

Playing now:
Deathloop - grinding slabs
Pokemon Shining Pearl - on my way to the second gym
Astynax

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
8: Pupperazzi. End: 1/24/2022. (2.5)

I don't mind fun little games that aren't afraid to do something like this. Taking photos of cute game dogs, putting them in little outfits, trying to get the right pose. Low-stakes and cute. But the game was also pretty buggy, and sometimes it was hard to figure out just what the game wanted me to do.

Still visited every area and got the end credits so I'm marking it as beaten.

RMChoodie

Dec 27, 2021
American in Costa Rica
1. Yakuza Like A Dragon (XSX) JAN 3- 123 HOURS AND 45 MINUTES 9/10
2. The Forgotten City (XSX) JAN 22- 13 HOURS AND 48 MINUTES 9/10

31df-the_forgotten_city.jpeg

If 2021 was the year of the time-loop there were a lot of great options to choose from you already know most of the games Deathloop Returnal and the highly anticipated 12 Minutes.
We all have various thoughts and opinions about those games.
The Forgotten City is a triumph of creativity and hard work by a small team with a budget of pennies next to those 3 other games.
A former lawyer's passion project who took a huge risk leaving the law profession to make a Skyrim mod a real accomplishment of storytelling in the medium.
TFC is the dinner conversation we use to have before everyone could no longer listen to different opinions.
This game is a clinic on Religions Stoicism and Human Rights all with a sly wit that says yeah we did the research and you should think about what we are saying.
The premise is simple you fall into a underground city and every day the world will end due to The Golden Rule which are everyday sins such as stealing or even murder.
The day starts over and if you reach the portal you keep whatever you have gained along with the knowledge of whatever quests you need to complete and have gained info on how to best solve everyone's problem.
With a small cast unlike most open world games and a small environment to explore this benefits the narrative in ways that most big budget games just don't have to build up character arches in another game the towns people would just give you a quest you complete it and they thank you the end.
TFC is able to position those same towns people as dominoes you solve one problem it could provide a clue to solve another problem.
Every time I hit the loop I was excited to see what the new dialogue choice would be with the new piece of the puzzle.
I loved the writing so much I had to see all the endings the intelligent arguments and what ridiculous joke about modern day they would make in roman times.
TFC is great at educating those who look for meaning in past cultures and civilizations while proving things historically aren't as different as we might perceive.
I recommend The Forgotten City to anyone who likes reading history books philosophy studies and just wants to see video games tell better stories in general.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Main Post

header.jpg

3. Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth
*Sigh* This could have been good. It started with a lot of promise; fast paced action and a mysterious opening. It soon devolved into tedium and what was probably only 4 hours (no in game clock, unfortunately) felt like 10. There's a myriad of annoying decisions made in this game, chief of those being enemies respawn as soon as you move to the next screen. Why would I want to explore in a metroidvania when you make it a complete nuisance to do so? The game is capped off near the end by a mandatory boss rush (all 11 of them) and then an ending that felt completely last minute. This was going to be 3 stars but that last minute of epilogue was bad enough that I've dropped it another half star. This isn't worth it you're a fan of the series nor as a fan of metroidvanias. You can do so much better than this.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
#6 Castle Crashers (Steam) | 24 Jan - 3 hrs | 5/5

Wasn't even planning to complete this, but I had to check something out with the Red Knight yesterday and I ended up playing all the way through it. This game is so good. the graphics, the musc and all the funny tidbits and characeters. I love playing this game.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
H2x1_WiiU_DarksidersWarmasteredEdition.jpg

5. Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (PS4 on PS5) | 25 Jan - 20hrs | ★★★★

I've attempted to play this game for 3 generations of consoles. I always liked what I played but never finished. Well I have finally beat it and really enjoyed it. The voice acting was great, game play was solid and I liked the story.

el_galvon

Jun 13, 2019
So... totally forgot to post here.

Guess I'll start now:

01. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (Dreamcast) | Jan/02 - 10hrs | ★★★★★
02. Super Mario World (SNES) | Jan/02 - 5hrs | ★★★★★
03. Super Mario 64 (N64) | Jan/08 - 17hrs | ★★★★★
04. Unpacking (PC) | Jan/08 - 4hrs | ★★★★☆
05. Contra III: The Alien Wars (SNES) | Jan/15 - 3hrs | ★★★★☆
06. Panzer Dragoon II Zwei (Sega Saturn) | Jan/16 - 2hrs | ★★★★★
07. Rhythm Heaven Fever (Wii) | Jan/18 - 12hrs | ★★★★★
08. Banjo-Kazooie (XBO) | Jan/24 - 11hrs | ★★★★★
09. Cyber Shadow (XBO) | Jan/28 - 8hrs | ★★★☆☆
10. Destiny 2: Forsaken (PS4) | Jan/29 - 8hrs | ★★★★☆
11. The Medium (PC) | Feb/15 - 9hrs | ★★☆☆☆
12. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit Remastered (PS4) | Feb/16 - 35hrs | ★★★★★
13. Touhou Luna Nights (XBO) | Feb/18 - 6hrs | ★★★★☆
14. ARCADE GAME SERIES: Ms. PAC-MAN (PS4) | Feb/19 - 2hrs | ★★★★☆
15. Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum Session! (PS4) | Mar/01 - 40hrs | ★★★★★
16. Persona 5 (PS4) | Mar/28 - 150hrs | ★★★★★
17. Xeodrifter (PS Vita) | Mar/30 - 2hrs | ★★★☆☆
18. Gorogoa (XBO) | Apr/06 - 1hr | ★★★☆☆
19. Need for Speed (PS4) | Apr/07 - 25hrs | ★★☆☆☆
20. Kero Blaster (PS4) | Apr/10 - 5hrs | ★★★★☆
21. Jak II (PS4) | Apr/17 - 15hrs | ★★☆☆☆
22. OFF (PC) | Apr/19 - 6hrs | ★★★★★
23. Celeste (PS4) | Apr/22 - 14hrs | ★★★★☆
24. The Artful Escape (Xbox) | Apr/23 - 3hrs | ★★☆☆☆
25. Flywrench (PS4) | Apr/27 - 2hrs | ★★★☆☆
26. Streets of Rage 4 (XBO) | Apr/28 - 3hrs | ★★★★☆
27. Save Room - Organization Puzzle (PC) | Apr/29 - 2hrs | ★★★☆☆
28. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS4) | May/13 - 6hrs | ★★★★☆
29. Never Alone (Kisima Inŋitchuŋa) (PS4) | May/15 - 3hrs | ★★★☆☆
30. Transistor (PS4) | May/22 - 16hrs | ★★★★★
31. Resident Evil (PS4) | Jun/05 - 16hrs | ★★★★☆
32. Mega Man 2 (Mega Man Legacy Collection) (PS4) | Jun/08 - 2hrs | ★★★★★
33. Mega Man 3 (Mega Man Legacy Collection) (PS4) | Jun/09 - 3hrs | ★★★★☆
34. Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition (PS4) | Jun/15 - 35hrs | ★★★★☆
35. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge (PC) | Jun/18 - 3hrs | ★★★★☆
36. Umurangi Generation (PC) | Jun/19 - 3hrs | ★★★★☆
37. Tetris Effect (PS4) | Jun/21 - 20hrs | ★★★★★
38. Trek to Yomi (XBO) | Jun/23 - 3hrs | ★★☆☆☆
39. Asura's Wrath (XBO) | Jun/25 - 12hrs | ★★★★★
40. Disc Room (PC) | Jun/26 - 4hrs | ★★★★☆
41. Pokémon Legends: Arceus (Switch) | Jul/11 - 54hrs | ★★★★☆
42. Cuphead (PC) | Jul/22 - 7hrs | ★★★★★
43. Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course (PC) | Jul/22 - 4hrs | ★★★★★
44. Katamari Damacy REROLL (PC) | Jul/23 - 5hrs | ★★★★☆
45. Tunic (PC) | Jul/25 - 12hrs | ★★★1/2
46. WipEout 2048 (PS Vita) | Aug/10 - 15hrs | ★★★1/2
47. Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled (PS4) | Aug/12 - 10hrs | ★★★★
48. Shovel Knight (PS Vita) | Aug/15 - 4hrs | ★★★★★
49. Strike Vector EX (PS4) | Aug/17 - 4hrs | ★★★1/2
50. The King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match (PS4) | Aug/17 - 4hrs | ★★★★
51. Sky Force Anniversary (PS Vita) | Aug/19 - 7hrs | ★★1/2
52. Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2012) (PS Vita) | Aug/23 - 7hrs | ★★
53. One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 (PS Vita) | Sep/12 - 60hrs | ★★★1/2
54. Super Meat Boy (PS Vita) | Sep/12 - 10hrs | ★★★
55. SteamWorld Dig (PS Vita) | Sep/18 - 5hrs | ★★★1/2
56. Burnout Paradise: Remastered (PS4) | Sep/20 - 18hrs | ★★★★1/2
57. Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack (PS Vita) | Oct/02 - 6hrs | ★★★
58. Titan Souls (PS Vita) | Oct/20 - 4hrs | ★★★1/2
59. Elden Ring (PC) | Nov/06 - 105hrs | ★★★★★
60. Vampire Survivors (PC) | Nov/11 - 70hrs | ★★★★1/2
61. Street Fighter V: Champion Edition (PS4) | Nov/14 - 100hrs | ★★★★
62. Immortality (PC) | Nov/15 - 10hrs | ★★★★
63. Sifu (PC) | Nov/20 - 9hrs | ★★★
64. NORCO (PC) | Nov/29 - 9hrs | ★★★★
65. Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin (PC) | Dec/17 - 28hrs | ★★★1/2
66. Rollerdrome (PC) | Dec/30 - 6hrs | ★★★★

01. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (Dreamcast) | Jan/02 - 10hrs | ★★★★★
WeWRurz.jpg

Even disregarding the nostalgia that the soundtrack brings, it's an amazing game. The stages are bigger and more complex than the THPS 1, and the addition of the Manual makes Street tricks a lot more interesting than the first game.
I think this Dreamcast version could do with more detailed characters, but hey, Spider-Man is still here. The stages, on the other hand, are much superior to the PS1 version, much more detailed and with a higher draw distance, doing justice to the hardware.​

02. Super Mario World (SNES) | Jan/02 - 5hrs | ★★★★★
IsEIdmd.png

It's been a while since I last played SMW, I didn't have the patience to do 100% this time but I went through all the castles and did the Star World.
It's always amazing to see how much they allowed themselves to experiment after the revolution that was SMB 3.​

03. Super Mario 64 (N64) | Jan/08 - 17hrs | ★★★★★
UMkKaUq.gif

This one I had never 100% finished. Finally got to see Yoshi on top of the castle! Camera issues aside, it's very difficult to rate SM64 without considering the impact it had at the time.
Peach's Castle is a fantastic hub. And I think it's curious how it's balanced between levels that appear to be a more cohesive "world" (Bob-omb Battlefield, Cool, Cool Mountain, Big Boo's Haunt), which are among my favorites, and levels that are designed more like a circuit of challenges (Wet-Dry World, Tick Tock Clock). And I think that these "circuit" ones have a rhythm affected by the game throwing you out of the level after each star (especially when, on the path of one specific star, it is possible to see another one or two that are fully accessible, but you will have to repeat the whole level again to get it).
Still, an amazing game.​

04. Unpacking (PC) | Jan/08 - 4hrs | ★★★★☆
RcCTgUy.gif

Comfy game about an extremely stressful topic (moving out). Very interesting to follow a story almost exclusively through the objects that make up a person's life. The sound design, with different noises depending on which object you put in a certain place, is impressive. As well as the beautiful pixel art.
I confess that at the end I was already a little tired of the mechanics, but luckily the game lasts just the right time to do everything it proposes.​

05. Contra III: The Alien Wars (SNES) | Jan/15 - 3hrs | ★★★★☆
Mt8zwvQ.gif

Had never played Contra III beyond the first two stages, so this time I decided to go all the way. I started on Easy and every time the game ends it immediately restarts on a higher difficulty, and the real ending is only available on Hard.
The way I played worked really well for me, since you can take the lives you acquired for each new playthrough, and it's really cool to see the difference between the bosses on each difficulty. Obviously on Hard it has lots of bullshit typical of the series (and the 90's), especially the insanity that is the penultimate boss (gif) on Hard. Well, nothing that somes Save States can't solve, lol.​

06. Panzer Dragoon II Zwei (Sega Saturn) | Jan/16 - 2hrs | ★★★★★
fs6hBO4.gif

I really like rail shooters and Panzer Dragoon Orta is perhaps my favorite of the genre (bless Xbox retro). I had already played the first Panze Dragoon that comes as a bonus in Orta, but I was curious about this one, since the first game is very "barebones". Happy to say that Zwei is excellent. A beautiful soundtrack, plus maybe the apex of 3D graphics that you can achieve on a Saturn.
The game introduces a Berserk attack (very useful against bosses), as well as different routes in each stage and evolutions for your Dragon according to your performance. I don't think the story is presented as well here as it is in the first game, but I'm curious enough about this universe and eventually I intend to play Panzer Dragoon Saga to complete the series. Only problem here is that it's a very short game, which makes me makes you think how bizarre it is that Sega didn't release the 2020 remake right away with the two games included (by the way, where's the PD II remake?).​

07. Rhythm Heaven Fever (Wii) | Jan/18 - 12hrs | ★★★★★
ZCgRMDQ.gif

One of those games that makes me smile effortlessly. Sometimes I find myself thinking about some of the songs and I feel the need to revisit this gem. Funny how It can go from very relaxing stages like "Hole in One" and "Double Date" to some that require your full attention like the Remix ones.
I don't think I'l ever be able to achieve a perfect in every stage (damn you tambourine monkey!!!), but it's alright. All those random and absurd situations presented with the charming art of the wonderful Ko Takeuchi nullify any possible frustration that I could have here.
NINTENDO PLEASE COME BACK WITH THIS SERIES!!!​

08. Banjo-Kazooie (XBO) | Jan/24 - 11hrs | ★★★★★
kbKFa8Q.gif

What was supposed to be just a test of the game running on Xcloud turned into another 100% run of this masterpiece. BK must be one of the games with best pacing of all time. Absolutely no corner of each of the nine fantastic worlds inside Gruntilda's Lair is wasted. Each one features a unique theme, NPCs, and challenges, and exploring is always rewarding without being boring or tiring (something that happens in Tooie, in my opinion), all graced by Grant Kirkhope's wonderful score.
The Xbox version's improvements in visuals, performance and QOL are very welcome and make this easily the best version of the N64 classic.
Even the madness that is Grunty's Furnace Fun is rewarded with the epic final confrontation. It's surreal to see how much Rare got it right with this game, and unfortunately I don't think they've ever done anything as sublime as BK (the only one I didn't play from that era is Donkey Kong 64).
Luckily it's a game that's very accessible currently across multiple platforms, and replaying it now has made me realize that it's indeed one of the best games I've ever played.​

Last edited:

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Full List

hzd_wide-2560x1440-bd312be05c49cf339097777c493cb899.jpg

6. Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4) | Jan 26 - 30 hrs | 7.5/10

Have a lot of thoughts on this one. I'll start by saying overall I did enjoy my time with the game. The graphics (barring the very awkward facial animations) are great, the main story is fantastic and I was excited to see it through to the end, and fighting the machines is great fun. That being said, I can't help but be a bit disappointed in the game. To start, the side quests are just not very interesting overall, really, only a handful were worth working through, and around halfway through I just started ignoring them altogether and just beelined the main story. In addition, while I guess this is somewhat on me, I was expecting much more in terms of RPG elements. I had heard comparisons between this game and Witcher 3, and while Witcher is far from a Bethesda RPG in terms of player freedom, it's still a great deal more flexible than Horizon. There really isn't any choices in terms of the story, but there isn't choice in playstyle too much either. An example of this was when I realized that every single merchant in the game has exactly the same inventory - meaning I've seen almost every acquirable item in the game within the first hour. The open world doesn't really feel earned as a result - I think it would have worked better as a more linear style action game than an open world one.

Despite those issues, I still had fun with the game, and am looking forward to playing the sequel at some point.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
BloodRayne.jpg

6. Bloodrayne Betrayal: Fresh Bites (Series X) | 27 Jan - 5hrs | ★★★1/2
Played this before but the difficulty was too much for me. New version has an easier mode. The 2D animation looks phenomenal. It's just a basic side scrolling hack and slash with not great voice acting.

Memory Pak

Aug 29, 2018
6oytAXU.png

02. Untitled Goose Game (2019, Switch) ★★★☆☆
Short comedic stealth game in which you (a terrible goose) inconvenience and/or bully the citizens of a sleepy English town. The lack of a real fail-state means you're free to hatch endless mischievous schemes, and torment your subjects with ceaseless honking, without running the risk of being turned into foie gras.
Interactions do feel shallow: you quickly catch on to how the individual gears turn to keep the clockwork levels turning. Luckily there are some ways in which characters from one level can impact another, however limited. The basic distract-first-then-run tactic remains viable throughout, but the game knows not to overstay its welcome, and ends on a high note.

qiHlxEL.png

03. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (2013/2019, Switch) ★★★☆☆
Essentially a co-op game with yourself, in which you guide 2 brothers through a series of perils in search of a cure for their ill father. You control both characters separately with a joystick each, leading to puzzles in which you alternate or coordinate their movement to progress. Unfortunately there's a solid hour of frontloaded uninteresting puzzles for solo players, which in co-op multiplayer would likely feel exasperatingly trivial.
Luckily the fantasy setting has a little more tooth than it initially lets on, and the game blindsided me with a quite harrowing scene of an NPC attempting to commit suicide. In these moments, as well as the very end, the story transcends its by the numbers setup. I was never truly invested, since characterisation is slim and neither brother feels very distinct. Saddling itself with a con-lang which requires overly dramatic pantomime did not help either. But it ends on an impressive sequence, successfully blending controls and story events, which I wish lasted just a tad longer.

3rd year participating, never made it to 52. I even completed less games in 2021 than in 2020
I've seen these threads every year and keep thinking I should partake, but things tend to keep me from doing so - lack of time, life getting in the way, knowing I'd procrastinate, etc.
I did this in 2020 but definitely didn't come close. Here's hoping for a more backlog productive 2022!
I was thinking in try but my range is always between 15 or 25 games in a year.
Unfortunately I will never be able to finish 52 games in a single year!!!😅😂
Ain't no way I can hit 52 in a year, but I'll be optimistic and try for 10.
Can I sign up?
I don't know if I'll reach 542, but I'd like to see.

Hopefully it's clear there's nothing wrong with setting (lower) personal goals than 52. It's just an eye-catching high bar to draw people into the thread. Ideally everyone should feel comfortable posting impressions of what they're playing throughout the year, regardless if it means finishing just a handful of titles tops. Busy lifestyles and/or preferences for longer games will put 52 well out of reach for most. Journey>Destination!

Last edited:

el_galvon

Jun 13, 2019
09. Cyber Shadow (XBO) | Jan/28 - 8hrs | ★★★☆☆
Wg9T0iK.jpg

A 2D action/platform game clearly inspired by Ninja Gaiden. I took the chance to play it before it left Game Pass this month.

The Good:
- Beautiful pixel art;
- The boss battles are challenging but fun;
- The progression system wich gives your character a new ability each stage.

The Bad:
- All the stages are too long, and the last ones have the checkpoints way too far from each other;
- The game becomes a little frustrating on the last stages, with a lot (and I mean A LOT) flying irritating enemies at each platform section. Also your character progressively takes more damage from enemies;
- I don't like the way the abilities are mapped on the controller. Really wish the parry, for example, was an specific button.

Even with the problems, pretty decent overall. It does nothing exceptional, but it's a good homage to those classic 2D action games.

Last edited:

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
Hopefully it's clear there's nothing wrong with setting (lower) personal goals than 52. It's just an eye-catching high bar to draw people into the thread. Ideally everyone should feel comfortable posting impressions of what they're playing throughout the year, regardless if it means finishing just a handful of titles tops. Busy lifestyles and/or preferences for longer games will put 52 well out of reach for most. Journey>Destination!
I totally agree. Before joining this thread 2 years ago I would play a lot of games but never finish them. Just having the incentive to add to my tally I've stuck with game to completion and it's such a nice feeling of accomplishment.

Cheat Code

Oct 30, 2017
Main Post

CC-Going-Under.png

Game #11: Going Under - Platform: PS4 - Date: 27/01/2022 - Time: 16 hours - Rating: 8/10
Completion: Platinum Trophy

Great satire of modern tech corporations, and despite being a couple of years old it doesn't feel out of date, which is certainly a difficult feat for any game parodying current events. All the characters being based Google's mutant rainbow humans is genius, and the NPCs you meet have fun writing and will make a lot of sense to anyone who is familiar with corporate culture. As a dungeon crawler, it's got good pacing on it's dungeons, each run is only gonna be around 15 minutes, and there is a decent variety in style and gimmicks. The Dead Rising-esque "use whatever" combat is funny, but I do wish that some of the junk items had some sort of use, as you tend to always be looking for one of the decent actual weapons.

I'd say as a rogue-lite it models itself of Binding of Isaac mostly, each floor having a shop, a free skill, a boss, and maybe a curse room. The actual gameplay loop is a bit more unique, I would imagine a lot of people would say it's like Dark Souls because it has a lock-on, a dodge, and two powers of attack, but it doesn't really feel much like it. It's a bit wobbly and sometimes frustrating, but it's not nearly terrible enough to put you off. I definitely really liked what this game was going for though, great style, great music and a fun twist on a dungeon crawler.

CC-Haimrik.png

Game #12: Haimrik - Platform: PS4 - Date: 27/01/2022 - Time: 3 hours - Rating: 6/10
Completion: 100%

Cool gameplay gimmick and a pretty snazzy caricature-esque art style, but I think this game definitely had some opportunities that it didn't take advantage of, and even though it's a short game, there is definitely a lot more that can be done with the formula. The concept of solving puzzles using words in the story is unique, but unfortunately a good share of the puzzles subscribe to LucasArts adventure game logic, and as such are completely obtuse. The boss fights are also a complete pain in the ass, the last thing this game needed was tacked on combat.

Overall though, it's definitely worth a play, I only paid a couple of quid for this and it was certainly worth that. Game goes to some interesting places later on and definitely gets you wishing that the entire game was like it, or it had an extra hour or so. It's a great base concept though. I think a lot more can be done with the formula, and although I'm not sure what the team behind it have done since, I'll definitely be having look into them.

CC-Mega-Man.png

Game #13: Mega Man - Platform: PS4 - Date: 27/01/2022 - Time: 3 hours - Rating: 4/10
Completion: Credits

I'm giving this bonus points for being a classic because I am convinced you have to be an absolute psychopath to think this game is fun. The first 6 stages are fine, nothing too crazy and, outside of Fire Man, the bosses have clear gimmicks and weaknesses and it is quite interesting to see how each boss' weapons work against each other. Going in to Dr. Wily though, the game completely shifts from "dated but admirable" to "fucking annoying", like how you need a specific item to beat the stage otherwise go home, or how useful utility like Guts Man cubes don't respawn when you die.

If there is one that this game got me thinking though, it's about how smart the teams behind Shovel Knight and Cuphead are. Taking this formula and not only making it fair but also fun, you got to give them respect for that. I've still got an entire 30 years of Mega Man to get through, and I do expect them to start feeling a little more fair, but this was a pretty miserable experience overall. Definitely an artefact of an age in video games where you'd have to play nothing but Mega Man for 6 months.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
9 : Xeno Crisis. End: 1/28/2022. (3.5)

Sometimes you just wanna play a video game where you blow shit up. And this is basically that game.

Last edited:

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
#7 Gran Turismo (PS1) | 29 Jan - 11 hrs | 4/5

Blast from the past. I returned to this game because of RetroAchievemens. When you get adjusted to the controls this game is a lot of fun and a real challenge. I remember being so hyped for this game back in the day and it really pushed boundaries for the racing genre back then.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
djinn I actually reinstalled Shadowverse btw lol >_<

I was mad salty that day. It's staying on the list tho, my reasons are still valid and it's gonna be on this year's list regardless. But Im back on the path to beating it at least :P

el_galvon

Jun 13, 2019
10. Destiny 2: Forsaken (PS4) | Jan/29 - 8hrs | ★★★★☆
J3s9HtG.jpg

For some reason I didn't play this campaign before, which was the only one I acquired besides the base game. As it is being removed I decided to check it out.
Honestly, not much to say. Destiny 2 is a very beautiful and fun game, with amazing gunplay and the Forsaken campaign brings great moments even for those who don't have much idea about the lore.
Although fun, it worked more as a goodbye for me, since I'm not interested in the other expansions (maybe if they get free, eventually). Who knows if one day Destiny 3 will exist and I'll be back in the shoes of a Guardian again.

Last edited:

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
1. (Gotta start somewhere) Deathloop 8/10 Probably 40 hours

6293b989-56a3-4151-a37e-ef4bf8eafc9d.jpeg

I had a good time here! The last game I beat was Prey from Arkane, so I was very stoked when a very kind era member gifted me this one during Christmas.

The game doesn't quite reach the level of Prey, but was still a great romp. I absolutely adore Arkanes style of gameplay and can't wait for their next outing.

I really liked the looping, the characters, the powers, the setting. Just a wonderful package overall, though at the end I knew when I had enough and just pulled the trigger on killing the visionaries just now.

On to my next game, which was going to be salt and sanctuary, but I think I'm gonna change gears and maybe try something that's been in my library for a while but haven't given a shot, still unknown!

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
330413-uncharted-4-a-thief-s-end-playstation-4-front-cover.jpg

7. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS5) | 30 Jan - 8hrs | ★★★★
Played most of the game at 120 fps. That was pretty great. A really good game but my least favorite Uncharted. Hardly any Elena for this long lost brother is was such a weird angle. Especially since we saw young Drake already in U3. I like Sam as a character, just really weird to introduce a brother. The rope is a good addition. Looking forward to Lost Legacy. But I'll put something between them.

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Second game:
Sonic The Hedgehog (MD)
(4/5)
I decided to play every Sonic game by order and this is obviously the first one. While I think that 2 and 3 are vastly superior, 1 still has its own brand of charm. To this day I still enjoy myself with it.

Next is the SMS/GG version, which I'm not really that familiar since I had a Mega Drive growing up

edit: Eraser is before that apparently, gonna try it just because I can

Whimsicalish

Dec 30, 2019
Midwest
06 | Guild Wars 2: Living World Season 3
PC | Jan 26 | 63 h | 3/5
sVWsMnh.png

Replaying the journey with Lobotomaxx and a friend we suckered into the game. I hope we make it to the recent patches before End of Dragons. Ahhh it's soon!

I didn't remember much from this season other than it was setting up the main baddy for Path of Fire. The first couple of episodes are kinda bland, especially when you're stuck with a certain whiny character. They gave that character growth previously and then ripped it away. They're unbearable now. Later you get to see more of a cool character, so I guess it's balanced out?

Couple of the maps are designed similar to the Maguuma Jungle; downright confusing to navigate. Hate them.

There are many achievements and collectible gear you can earn. Only bummer, it's time gated. More excited to replay PoF again.

07 | Monster Sanctuary
PC | Jan 30 | 50 h | 5/5
k4fVDlN.png

Amazing game. It's a Metroid Pokemon RPG game. You can fight and collect monsters while exploring a rich world. Every monster has a skill tree. You're encouraged to find monsters that have synergy with each other. Some might be good for bosses while others are better at duels. You don't have to grind levels, that happens naturally as you progress. You'll have more fun and success trying different groups of monsters. Also your monsters have abilities to explore the world. I loved they helped instead of only fighting.

There were times I was feeling good in an area just to get absolutely destroyed by a boss. Some difficulty spikes but once I swapped my team around, it was good again. Hard to find anything real negative about the game. The music was awesome; Lobotomaxx was humming the battle music from the other side of the room, lol. The pixel art is beautiful and bright. I love all the environments. The monster designs in your book are delightful. A really solid game.

Main Post

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
The end of January means that it's time for my first update of the year and I'm up to 10 games, a very decent start! Very nearly 11, but I didn't have enough time last night to make as much progress with The Gunk as I'd hoped. That'll be number 11, my first for February...

Master post here.

Kirby-Star-Allies.jpg

1. Kirby Star Allies (Switch) | 1 January 2022 | 6/10
100% complete on all modes, except for "Soul Melter" difficulty boss rush. A thoroughly pleasant and charming experience, Kirby Star ALlies is a decent instalment in the franchise, though with a heavily multiplayer-focused main mechanic - the "star allies" of the title refers to Kirby's ability to befriend many of the game's enemies, then able to take advantage of their varied abilities. There's some great creativity with some of the abilities on offer, in particular with the potential for many of these to combine in interesting ways - from more predictable elemental imbuement of weapons through to a rock becoming a curling stone, and much more.

Beside these abilities, the game's story mode doesn't do anything particularly new and is fairly short at around five hours, but some increased longevity comes from supplementary modes that each vary the experience somewhat. Even for a Kirby game, the overall difficulty is very much on the easy side - other than the highest levels of the boss rush mode, which take the difficulty to the other extreme!

header.jpg

2. Anodyne 2: Return to Dust (PC - Steam) | 2 January 2022 | 6/10
Good ending, 100% of achievements unlocked. Deeply weird in its thematic premise, Anodyne 2: Return to Dust is clearly a personal labour of love for the developers, following up on the original Anodyne with significant divergence in gameplay. Where the first game was a fairly simple 2D Zelda-style experience, this sequel takes place with an explorable 3D overworld, though individual 2D 'dungeons' are much more in keeping with the prequel. Anodyne 2 sees the player taking control of a 'nano cleaner', a being birthed with the purpose of cleaning 'dust' from the minds of various NPCs via an ability to shrink down to microscopic size - and the overall setting's surreal themes are very much in keeping with this unusual premise.

There's not really much here in the way of mechanical challenge and it takes until the final 'dungeon' before the puzzle elements move beyond fairly simple concepts, and the game would benefit from some greater variety of abilities, but what's here is decently enjoyable to play and exploration is rewarded with various collectibles - including several which offer 'behind the scenes' areas and commentary which speak to the investment that Analgesic Productions evidently has in their creation.

header.jpg

3. Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion (PC - Steam) | 3 January 2022 | 7/10
100% in-game completion, 100% of achievements unlocked. Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion is a cute, fairly short 2D Zelda style action adventure, focused around completing various straightforward 'quests' for the anthropomorphised vegetables that inhabit a town, exploring 'dungeon'-like levels in so doing. There's some very light combat and puzzle-solving here, but nothing that's ever particularly taxing, beyond perhaps one or two of the dungeon-ending boss encounters. The light-hearted and humourous vibe that pervades the game makes it a fun experience while it lasts - and while that's not overly long and I'd struggle to justify buying the game at full price, but bought at a discount, I'd recommend that game as a good way to spend a few hours.

header.jpg

4. Lake (Xbox One) | 10 January 2022 | 7/10
Completed with 100% of achievements unlocked (1,000G). A nicely relaxing experience, Lake won't be for everyone but certainly has its charms. The game follows lead character Meredith, taking a break from a big city career to spend two weeks as a mail delivery worker in her childhood village. There's a certain satisfaction from driving around checking off locations from a delivery list each day, and perhaps the highlight comes from parcel deliveries each day. These offer the opportunity for dialogue with each recipient, building or rekindling relationships from many years ago. There are some interesting stories that play out through these interactions, several of which develop further through further meetings arranged between each day, finishing up with a party of sorts that draws things to a satisfying conclusion. If you're looking for excitement, you'll find little of that here, but Lake is a decent way to wind down between more action-packed experiences.

Axiom-Verge-2.jpg

5. Axiom Verge 2 (Switch) | 14 January 2022 | 8/10
Completed with 100% map exploration and item collection. A very solid 2D Metroid-like, Axiom Verge 2 builds impressively on the success of the first game with some really interesting new mechanics, used to good effect. As examples, perhaps the most widely trailed of these have been the secondary game world - "The Breach" - accessible via portals throughout the world and navigable by a player-controlled drone, and subverting enemies via hacking, providing various forms of assistance - in traversal, combat or otherwise. Both of these work very successfully throughout, providing an impressive level of depth - as do most of the other abilities, which I won't spoil here! The plot is also a strong point, developing in intiguing and unexpected ways, supported by a fairly large amount of background lore, through collectible notes and elsewhere in the environment.

I'd have preferred to see somewhat more variety in environments, which mostly centre around an Arctic setting in the main overworld and the alien-feeling Breach - but these are by no means a deal-breaker and are well-realised in detailed pixelart - and once again stunning is the soundtrack throughout. To think that the whole game was pretty much created by Tom Happ as a sole developer is frankly incredible - and once again I look forward to seeing where he goes in future.

header.jpg

6. Tales of Monkey Island Episode 1 - Launch of the Screaming Narwhal (PC - Steam) | 14 January 2022 | 8/10
Complete playthrough. After having a good time with their take on another LucasArts property in the Sam & Max series, it seemed a good opportunity to get properly stuck into Telltale Games' refresh of The Secret of Monkey Island - a franchise for which I have a long-held affection. This introductory episode does good job of capturing LucasArts' trademark sense of humour and sets up the rest of the the series well with an interesting premise and well-written characters, if not quite to Tim Schafer's level of excellence.

These earlier games from Telltale's catalogue take the more traditional puzzle-focused approach to the point-and-click genre and the solutions here are always fun to see playing out. However, finding those solutions in some cases takes a less positive feature from some classics of the genre, where the logic involved is less than obvious, to say the least... perhaps playing with a guide will be best if you want to avoid too much frustration!

header.jpg

7. The Pedestrian (Xbox One - Game Pass) | 19 January 2022 | 7/10
Completed with 100% of achievements unlocked (1,000G), all secrets (hats) located. A lovely, creative puzzle game, The Pedestrian's unique gimmick is that it (almost) entirely takes place through navigating a stylised person through levels built out of informational signs. With new mechanics introduced at a well-judged pace, the game does a good job of maintaining interest and challenge, while rarely becoming frustrating; perhaps the most interesting comes from a central mechanic of rearranging a set of signs and assigning links between doors to open/close various paths, combining nicely with other elements such as locks/keys, crates, and more unusually, electrical circuits, among others. There's little in the way of explicit instruction on how each puzzle element works, but each tends to be introduced gently, with simple puzzles easily solved through experimentation to tease out functionality. It's all over within a handful of hours, but there's little in the way of filler throughout that short length - making for an overall good time.

header.jpg

8. Island Farmer - Jigsaw Puzzle (PC - Steam) | 23 January 2022 | 6/10
Completed with 100% of achievements unlocked. The clue to the gameplay style here is in the "jigsaw puzzle" subtitle, though Island Farmer isn't quite what you'd expect from a typical jigsaw. The game takes the player through a series of (currently) 26 islands built from square tiles, first showing the intended arrangement of those tiles, then mixing them up - the challenge being to swap the tiles to recreate the original arrangement. With the ability to view that arrangement at any time with a toggle, any difficulty to the game will come from players challenging themselves through limiting the use of that toggle and it's ultimately fairly mindless. However, with simple, attractive graphics and relaxing music, Island Farmer can be a pleasant distraction to while away a few minutes. Notably, it's nice to see the developer having supported the game post-release, with an original set of 20 islands now expanded to 26.

header_alt_assets_2.jpg

9. Blue Fire (PS4) | 29 January 2022 | 8/10
Completed on "recommended" difficulty, with all collectibles aside from the hardest voids. The debut release from indie studio Robi Games, Blue Fire overall impresses in many ways. Clearly borrowing its dark aesthetic from the superb Hollow Knight, here the core gameplay combines 3D platforming - albeit often at a much significantly difficulty than many games in the genre (once again, the Hollow Knight comparison is apt) with The Legend of Zelda-style exploration and puzzle-solving. The game world fits convincingly together, housing several Zelda-style 'dungeon' self-contained environments and a range of more exploration-based side-quests to add some variety.

While the platforming starts off fairly basic, throughout the game the protagonist acquires new abilities - some core and some coming from equipable 'spirits' (once again, think Hollow Knight here!) - to make moving through the qorld highly satisfying, particularly so after success at some of the more challenging platforming scenarios, which really are the core of the gameplay. While there is some puzzle-solving and combat throughout, these elements are fairly shallow - the puzzles don't really extend beyond flipping switches (which may then lead to some timed platforming) - and the combat moves are only limited.

Also throughout the game are 'voids', self-contained pure platforming sections similar to those of Super Mario Sunshine. These are entirely optional, but highly beneficial, awarding additional health but more importantly, extra spirit slots that allow for improved platforming abilities (wall running, a triple jump, greater range, etc.) - and start off fairly simple but become very challenging later in the game (I didn't manage to beat the last handful), catering for a range of skill. Checkpoints in the 'easy' difficulty setting bring some greater accessibility here, though that difficulty choice is locked from the start of the game.

Overall, Blue Fire is a really well-realised combination of genres that, while not quite achieving its full potential in all areas, was a *fun* experience that I'd congratulate the developers for. Additional free DLC and a currently in-development free level editor (via Steam) are additional feathers in its cap!

header.jpg

10. Tales of Monkey Island Episode 2 - The Siege of Spinner Cay (PC - Steam) | 29 January 2022 | 7/10
Complete playthrough. This second episode of Tales of Monkey Island picks up nicely from the first, with a well-realised city of mer-people being the setting this time as Guybrush finds himself re-united with Elaine... and LeChuck! I have to say that I wasn't particularly keen on the characterisation of the mer-people, but aside from that the writing and humour are again on-point, and the non-linearity of the puzzle-solving makes for a satisfying non-linearity, reducing the potential for frustration when a particular puzzle solution proves elusive.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Going to try again for this year since I was able to do it last year. Not sure if I'll be able to do it in 2022 as I am looking to have less free time in general, but depends on how many smaller games I manage to get to. The Playdate is coming out this year (God willing), so that will probably be a lot of smaller titles I imagine. This was my list for 2021.

Completed (7/52)

January
1. Lost Judgment - Xbox Series X - 17 hours, 49 minutes
2. The Gunk - Xbox Series X - 3 hours, 47 hours
3. The Matrix Awakens - Xbox Series X - 15 minutes
4. Olija - PC - 4 hours, 3 minutes
5. Gris - Switch - 4 hours
6. Terminator: Resistance - PS5 - 9 hours
7. Very Little Nightmares - iOS - 2 hours

Pretty behind where I was last year, but that isn't too surprising for me since I knew I'd have less time, and even after finishing the main quest in LJ I did a lot of the side story stuff, too. Lots of big games coming at the end of Feb, but will play some smaller stuff as well.

Completed (16/52)

February
8. Townscapper - Xbox Series X - 37 minutes
9. Sifu - PS5 - 15 hours
10. Lost in Random - Xbox Series X - 12 hours, 25 minutes
11. CrossfireX: Operation Catalyst - Xbox Series X - 2 hours, 31 minutes
12. CrossfireX: Operation Spectre - Xbox Series X - 2 hours, 1 minute
13. Windjammers 2 - Xbox Series X - 2 hours, 9 minutes
14. Contrast - Xbox Series X - 3 hours
15. Horizon: Forbidden West - PS5 - 25 hours
16. Sol Cresta - Switch - 2 hours

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Main Post

1. The Outer Worlds (Xbox Series X) - 7/10 - I bounced around with really enjoying this game and other times being bored by it. It has its moments but for being a relatively short game...it felt kinda long. Story wasn't super captivating either. Interested to see where they can take this with a better budget in the sequel.
de7c21322e0d41388d38cbda451ac8ae.jpg

2. Final Fantasy VII: Remake INTERMission (PS5) - 8/10 - A nice appetizer for a sequel we have no idea when we will see. I loved Remake pt 1 and I enjoyed this small episode. I felt some of the bosses punched way harder than they did in the base game.
Final-Fantasy-VII-Remake-Intergrade-Episode-INTERmission-4-1.jpg

3. Creepy Tale (Switch) - 7/10 - Free game from some holiday giveaway. It was interesting and I enjoyed my time with it. It can be a bit obtuse at times in figuring out what to do but eventually you figure it out.
b1614d031de59124f1b9cc32f4e8fe06eee3aa5d95797afa090744f86e0b57ea_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

4. Star Fox 64 3D (3DS) - 8/10 - Took me a bit to get used to the controls on 3DS but when they clicked it reminded me why I loved this game so much as a kid. Classic game and wish we had a legit great follow-up at this point.
SI_3DS_StarFox643D_image1600w.jpg

5. Luigi's Mansion 3 (Switch) - 8/10 - Lot's of fun and actually quite challenging. I was really impressed with the graphics and the variety they packed into this game. Hope they continue on with the series and maybe work on making Luigi control just a tad bit better.
149786-games-review-hands-on-luigis-mansion-3-screens-image1-zwyhkrmwt1.jpg

6. Ys Origin (PS4) - 8/10 - Finally finished my 3rd run of this to complete each character. This was my first Ys game and I really enjoyed it. Will probably give I & II Chronicles at some point this year.
ys-origin.jpg

7. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (PS4) - 9/10 - Loved everything about this game. The short metroidvania adventure, the graphics and the challenge. It all felt fair and earned. I really want to explore more of this series.
header.png

8. Medal of Honor: Frontline HD (PS3) - 9/10 - Have had this with my Medal of Honor PS3 disc and wanted to see if the game held up as much as I loved it back in early college. This game is still special, obviously dated but it just seems to have something that a lot of these war FPS games are missing these days. The music is still top notch. I wish we could get another MoH in this spirit vs trying to clone CoD.
latest

9. Level 22: Gary's Misadventures (PSTV) - 8/10 - Another game that I got off PS+ years ago and randomly fired up. Fun puzzle game that was basically just sneaking around an office to get to your desk. Simple premise that was just a lot of fun.
Level_22_Gary_1.jpg

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Main post

January update! Managed to clear 11 games this month. The real standout this month is definitely the new Paper Mario game, took me completely by surprise with how good it was.

1. Flower, Sun, and Rain
Suda51 attempts to drive the player insane by making them run back and forth across the map and solve inane puzzles a lot to get past roadblocks only to start the whole day over again when you do. Very funny game with a fascinating and charming script. This is a sequel to "The Silver Case" and doesn't make any sense at all without playing that game first, although if you have played that game first it only makes a little bit of sense. 8/10

2. The Sexy Brutale
Fun little puzzle game. I do wish there were ways to screw up the puzzles and maybe get the guests killed in accidental ways other than their scheduled deaths, as things stand everything is pretty straightforward. The game is so easy that I solved one of the puzzles accidentally before even seeing any scheduled deaths. But it's still enjoyable despite how easy it is, and the presentation is really top notch. It's especially neat how you can hear all the deaths happening as you go around the mansion and how the music shifts depending on what's going on. This actually wasn't on my backlog at all but I remembered I never got around to playing this game yesterday and it was for sale on Steam for about 3 dollars. 7/10

3. Psychonauts
Kinda so-so gameplay that can be fun at times and also extremely frustrating at other times. The controls are decent for a 3D platformer of this time period that isn't a Mario game, but honestly this really just means "bad". Boss fights are only marginally better than a 3D Sonic game in execution even if they have some really neat concepts. The game gives you some movement tools like levitation's slowfall that aren't used enough in actual gameplay, so sometimes you end up at a loss of what to do until you remember "oh yeah I can do this thing I haven't used in the five hours since the mechanic was introduced". Having a leveling system that looks optional at a glance but you have to engage with to finish the game is weird, same for buying the Cobweb Duster (this wasn't a problem for me since I hit Rank 30 and got the duster well before these things were required, but it's still weird). Mediocre gameplay aside, the writing is up there with the best of LucasArts' output and the soundtrack is also real good. 7/10

4. Death Come True
A fun little FMV game by the Danganronpa creator. It's short, but very solidly made. The story is a very distilled "Tookyo Games staff" sort of affair and that's just fine by me. At only around two hours long with rudimentary features (no scenario map for example) this kind of feels like it was meant to possibly test the market for a larger project, but I'm not sure if it sold well enough to do that. 7/10

5. Kindred Spirits on the Roof ~Full Chorus~
The best yuri themed visual novel available in English (IMO) and one of the best yuri works that have been translated into English in general. I actually played the original release of this game back in 2016. The "Full Chorus" version of the game is a re-release in 2019 with full voice acting and a smattering of new artwork which I paused after getting close to the end. I opened it up just now and played through the last couple of hours to scratch it off my backlog. There's a ton of post-game content in this (over 50 extra scenes that unlock when you clear the game, with some character perspectives that weren't in the main story), which is kind of weird for a visual novel, and I might go through that again still since it was all really good and IIRC almost none of it was voiced in the original release. 9/10

6. Kirby Star Allies
Solid, relaxing 2D platformer. It's a Kirby game and is about as good as most other Kirby games. Having four characters on screen at once can get a little chaotic though, especially during some boss fights it can be hard to tell what's going on sometimes. The final boss is incredible as always for these games. 8/10

7. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch version)
Link's Awakening is the only mainline Zelda game produced by Nintendo that I haven't played, other than FSA, Phantom Hourglass, and Triforce Heroes. I don't exactly have an excuse either as I owned a GBC and GBA, I just never got around to it. I bought the Switch port on release and also never got around to that. Why on earth did it take me so long to play this??? Knowing that not much of the gameplay was changed up for the Switch port, and looking up videos of the Game Boy version, makes me think "how the heck was this possible on the Game Boy?!". The dungeons and puzzles are almost uniformly fantastic with a few exceptions, and the Metroidvania-like world design where more and more of the map opens up in interesting ways with every key item you get is the best in classic 2D Zelda. There are a couple of "I don't know how you were supposed to know this without a guide or beating your head against the game for an hour" bits, and a couple bits that make you go back and forth a little too much. On the other hand, there are a few puzzles in the game that are outright the best in the series, with the seventh dungeon having a particularly mindblowing standout. The remake's audio and sound design are excellent, and the visuals are nice enough. 9/10

8. The Forgotten City
This one isn't on my backlog either, but after hearing some positive praise for it and that it was a timeloop game, I checked it out cause I love good timeloop games. Very solid game with good writing, a charming cast, good voice acting, and nice visuals. I appreciate how there's multiple ways to learn certain information and get through certain questlines. 8/10

9. Paper Mario: The Origami King
I'm a little surprised at how much I liked this. IMO it's better than either of the first two Paper Mario games. The combat is finally good again, as the new puzzle-based combat system is pretty fun against random encounters and super fun against bosses. The boss fights especially are all super well designed. The story is the best in the series, with a simple but moving plot and a lot of really funny dialogue. Finding Toads hidden throughout the levels was a good deal of fun, and there's a lot of well designed puzzles throughout the game. The music is great but it's a Nintendo game so that's not really an unexpected thing. The only sort of negative things I'd have to say about this one are that the level design is a bit less inspired than Color Splash and the ending feels a little rushed (not the last level or the final boss those are good, just everything after you beat the final boss). 9/10

10. Pony Island
I tried playing Inscryption but after clearing the first act decided I really, really don't like deck building games no matter how good everything else around the deck building aspect is, so I went back and played this instead from my Steam backlog. Fun little puzzle game, pretty funny. It sort of does the Undertale thing where it's like "OK please don't reload and viciously consume all the content", just not quite as refined or interesting. 7/10

11. Demon's Souls (PS5 Remake)
The good: The graphics are very high fidelity, load times are non-existent, gameplay is usually pretty solid, and there's a lot of interesting design ideas even if the execution can sometimes be kinda screwy. Gameplay is pretty much untouched from the original game, and this can be both good and bad.
The so-so: The new music is good but doesn't really fit against some bosses, with 5-2 in particular being utterly hilarious. Sometimes online play is good and sometimes it's laggy garbage. World 3 is a lot brighter even if you have the brightness settings turned down, making it significantly easier than the original game.
The bad: All of the weird and unrefined design hiccups in the original game are restored here in all their dubious glory. The difficulty is still wildly inconsistent, there's still weapons that just have better versions with the exact same moveset for some reason, the XP curve is still too steep, grinding for materials or souls is still the worst thing in the universe, it still takes until you're almost on NG+ (or even past that) to put together most builds, healing grass is dumb even with the added limits in the remake, 3-3's staircase climb is still incredibly annoying even though matchmaking netcode is a lot faster now so it doesn't have to be, and world tendency is still dumb. There is such a thing as being too faithful.
7/10

MJnR

Mar 13, 2019
Games I've finished this year:

January

01. Tales of Arise on Steam. I finished it on January 9th after 38 hours7.0 / 10
02. God of War on Steam. I finished it on January 31st after 24 hours8.5 / 10

February
03. Dying Light 2 on Steam. I finished it on February 21st after 31 hours7.5 / 10

March

---

April

---

May

04. Trek to Yomi on Steam. I finished it on May 19th after 4 hours4.0 / 10

June
05. ELDEN RING on Steam. I finished it on June 4th after 78 hours – 9.5 / 10

July
06. OUTRIDERS on Steam. I finished it on July 5th after 37 hours – 7.5 / 10
07. FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE on Steam. I finished it on July 11th after 36 hours – 7.5 / 10
08. Fire Emblem: Three Houses on Nintendo Switch. I finished it on July 25th after 48 hours – 8.0 / 10

August
09. Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition on Nintendo Switch. I finished it on August 10th after 47 hours7.0 / 10
10. MARVEL's Spider-Man Remastered on Steam. I finished it on August 23rd after 35 hours9.0 / 10

September
11. Assassin's Creed: Unity on Steam. I finished it on September 10th after 19 hours5.5 / 10
12. JUDGMENT on Steam. I finished it on September 30th after 61 hours8.5 / 10

October
13. LOST JUDGMENT on Steam. I finished it on October 23rd after 70 hours9.5 / 10
14. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II on Steam. I finished it on October 29th after 11 hours7.5 / 10

November
---

December
15. Persona 5 Royal on Steam. I finished it on December 3rd after 104 hours8.5 / 10
16. UNCHARTED 4: A Thief's End on Steam. I finished it on December 27th after 19 hours8.0 / 10

Last edited:

Griffin

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka
MAIN POST

Quite the random assortment of games to kick off the year.

T01jiyV.jpg

#1 - Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers (NES) - ★★★☆☆

I just picked something random from my backlog to play and ended up with Capcom's old Chip 'n Dale game for the NES, packaged with the Disney Afternoon Collection. It's very short and surprisingly easy; I usually find NES platformers to be punishing, but aside from a few dodgy hit boxes here and there it wasn't much of a challenge. The side-scrolling action definitely keeps things simple. I have only vague memories of the cartoon, but I don't recall the heroes spending so much time picking up and throwing boxes.

Simply being a platformer that you can play cooperatively makes it quite innovative for the time and I liked the cute levels that have the chipmunks exploring everyday locations (although the scale is often downright strange). As tends to be the case with Capcom's 8-bit games, the music is great, too. By 1990 NES platformer standards, it's excellent, but there's so many co-op platformers now that there's not so much reason to go back to these tiny worlds.

#2 - Yo-Kai Watch 3 (3DS) - ★★★★☆

This monster-collecting sequel takes the series to the US of A, playing up the cultural differences between Japan and America (in the Japanese release, at least). This time there are two protagonists to switch between - one in the American town of St Peanutsburg and the other exploring the same "Japanese" settings as the first two games. The game's bizarre take on American culture is the best bit; it's a mix between Disneyland, the work of Mark Twain, The X Files and whatever other bits of American pop culture the developers were familiar with. The Yo-Kai creatures you collect are all some kind of strange stereotype like a cheerleader that causes people to procrastinate or a baseball-playing chicken nugget based on Japanese wordplay.

The premise is very Pokémon, but it felt more like a kid-friendly Yakuza game, with the city streets packed full of diversions. If you're wondering where all the post-game stuff went in the last few Pokémon games, it's all packed into this absurdly dense game. Chasing down criminal Yo-Kai, solving riddles, fighting off zombies, hunting for bugs and fish, battling Charles Darwin… There's even a separate action RPG mode with randomly generated dungeons and giant bosses. If I didn't already have the fourth game sitting on my Switch, I could easily sink 50 more hours into this.

#3 - Panzer Dragoon Orta (Xbox) - ★★★★★

The first original Xbox game I've bought and wow, what a way to start. Panzer Dragoon Orta hooked me from the start with its fascinating fantasy setting and amazing art direction. I'm still not 100% sure what happened in the story since I accidentally bought the Japanese version, but that ended up adding an extra layer of mystique.

It all holds up incredibly well thanks to the visual design, soundtrack and the fact that soaring through the skies on a dragon is just plain fun. While it's a rail shooter, there's far more going on than just pointing and shooting at targets. Orta adds more depth to the formula by having three different forms for your dragon, each with their own abilities that can be used to glide around attacks and manuevre around bosses. Do well enough and they can level up and transform, making clearing out waves of enemies even more compelling. There's so much to unlock that I'm going to keep coming back to try and improve my rank, challenge harder difficulty levels and eventually grab that first Panzer Dragoon game.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #16 - Dysmantle
Time: 40 hours
Platform: Playstation 5
Rating: ★★★★

What a wonderful surprise this was, indie survival single player rpg, with a big focus on breaking apart pretty much everything in the game for resoruces (hence the name), very reminiscent of the Red Faction games in that sense. The sense of progression is fantastic, I like the cartoony look, there are a TON of skills and gear to build and upgrade, and it shockingly actually feels like a rpg, with lots of shortcuts to unlock, a ton of quests to do, and a decent story to back it up. Combat is very simple but serviceable, honestly the only downside, and it's a big one depending on the person, is that it's VERY grindy, and very long. The map is gigantic and you will need to dismantle a lot of shit for all the mats you need. I was never bored tho, so I loved it.

Main Post

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
OH CRAP IT'S FEBRUARY

1. Forza Horizon 2: Storm Island (XB1, 2014) - 4:42 (1:49 + 2:53 in 2021) - January 1
2. Cruis'n Blast (Switch, 2021) - 1:32 (1:02 + 0:30 in 2021) - January 2
3. Forza Horizon 3: Blizzard Mountain (PC, 2016) - 5:16 - January 3
4. Forza Horizon 3: Hot Wheels (PC, 2017) - 4:46 - January 9
5. Lake (PC, 2021) - 6:12 - January 11
6. The Pedestrian (XSX, 2022) - 4:29 - January 24

Lake and The Pedestrian are the standouts here, and Blizzard Mountain was also pretty fun. Sadly can't say the same for the other Horizon expansions, especially Hot Wheels. Maybe I'm just destined not to like Hot Wheels games? At least Hot Wheels Unleashed didn't feel absolutely terrible to drive in.

I'm in a bit of a slump at the moment; I need to finish Tales of Arise before Gran Turismo 7 hits (and probably Atelier Sophie 2, though I could potentially play that on my PS4 instead), but progress there has slowed to a crawl. The same is true for pretty much all the games I carried over from 2021, which is not a great sign. Still, I think I should be able to finish Captain Toad pretty soon at least.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
10: Neo The World Ends With You. End: 2/2/2022. (4 out of 5)

Making a sequel to a game after over a decade is a difficult task. Particularly one as fresh as The World Ends With You. And making it from the ground up on a traditional console as opposed to the DS seems like it would also be a difficult task to capture what made the original so unique and memorable.

I thought they nailed it.

Deleted member 32615

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
277d6162c0d6f88c9f858ae491a30d86.jpg

Game 5: Pokemon Legends Arceus (NSW) (20 Hours) (3/5) (February 3rd, 2022)
Very few games have intrigued me as much as PLA. I'm a longtime Pokemon fan, but the older I get the less I care for the Pokemon series and the normal format and finally I think I've found what I wanted in Pokemon Legends Arceus, even if a truly great Pokemon game feels like its 5 years away

Never has there been more excitement in my heart playing a Pokemon game, running around these huge areas finding out what Pokemon are in the Pokedex and catching them is just insanely fun, and I got excited on so many occasions for every Pokemon. The original series has always lacked when it came to making you actually care for the Pokemon, most of the time you just pick the 6 you like and move on with it. In this? You catch so many Pokemon and they all have beautiful animations and all of them feel like an actual Pokemon worth caring about. I had about 20 Pokemon who I interchanged regularly and it made the adventure so much more fun. Catching Pokemon is fun too, I love the stealth mechanics and I loved trying to outsmart the Pokemon

Surprisingly the story was actually pretty fun, maybe because it's a change of pace for the franchise. Trying to uncover the mystery of what's happening is a really fun time and the characters you meet along the way are all really engaging for Pokemon characters. I was worried i'd be let down again but hey, it was fun

But not every game is perfect and Arceus is far from it. Oh my god this game looks bad. This is one of the ugliest releases in a long time and the artstyle doesn't save it when you have kilometres of ugly textures in these large open worlds. The performance is also an issue with the game dipping below 30fps on multiple occasions and there are plenty of issues with pop in or shaky seizure-inducing textures. Technically the game also feels years behind what everyone else is doing, animations for characters are terrible and make the characters feel lifeless outside of their dialogue. Sure you could say it's a Switch game, thus stuck with bad hardware, but what games like Breath of the Wild are doing on the same console with a larger open world absolutely smashes Arceus out of the park. I really hope GameFreak can fix this issue in future games because it holds the game out from being the Pokemon game we've all dreamt about

Turn based combat still doesn't feel right, there's a lot of rules that make it more complex, but sometimes I get hit 4 times by one Pokemon just because I switched in and I question "Is this fun?" and no it really isn't. It's MUCH more interesting than the usual Pokemon games and I am very appreciative of it, but it can be downright annoying at times and uninteresting. I also didn't enjoy have tutorials shoved down my throat for 3 hours of the game, but that's a lesser complaint

Pokemon Legends Arceus is a good game held down by a lot of bad decisions. There are times when the game works properly with traversal, Pokemon discovery and a wonderful and interesting world to discover but there is so much more I wish GameFreak did. I think if even half of the issues I talked about were fixed I'd love it and have it as an amazing experience. It's the best Pokemon game in years yet still 10 years behind everyone else

Original Post

May 10, 2019
Part 1 - Part 2 - Part 3 (THIS POST!) - Part 4 - Part 5 - Part 6 - Part 7 - Part 8 - Part 9

4e86eaf2685a67b743a475f86c7c0086.png

9) Super Castlevania IV

1991 by Konami - (2/3/2022) - SNES - 3 hours 30 minutes - 2.5 Stars

Hadn't really played this extensively since 1992, but as a prelude to new Twitch stream habits, I wanted to get into a particular groove. Granted, it's not the non-linear stuff I'm gonna dig into most often, but for a recasting of CastleVania 1 (or more specifically, the Haunted Castle arcade game). it's mostly adequately put together. They threw in some new rotation and scaling effects to push the new hardware (YEAH MODE 7), but the one major flaw design-wise is that the game still feels entrenched in a philosophy that it has to be near-impossible at points to be worth it, see the Grim Reaper here being tougher than even the NES version's incarnation, and see RNG hellmonster Slogra. Also the platforming (especially in the later stages) doesn't always feel as put together as Dracula's Curse, like they're overcompensating for the larger characters on SNES hardware - it really does feel like different folks worked on this and the X68000 game with how different those play in very minor (but still really important) mechanical ways. In all, the developers hadn't figured out how to be accessible yet. So it's a wonder they were even allowed to get to Symphony Of The Night in the first place.

UbmVBPO.png

10) Level Up!

2009 by Nifty Hat Games - (2/4/2022) - Flash (via Flashpoint) - 51 minutes - 4 Stars

Revisited a game that I was a big fan of back in the days of digging through Kongregate - and in terms of expansive mechanics in lo-fi exploratory platforming, the game more often than not holds up. Aesthetically it feels like it was about 5 years too early, too - if it showed up in the early days of itch.io it would probably be more renowned as a sensation and influence. Most of the roughness in 2022 comes from the media and just how tricky it is to reliably play, I had trouble getting it to play reliably via Kongregate's current flash replacement so I used the Flashpoint implementation of the standalone player software. For what it's worth I also tried the version of the Gather Up! prototype on Flashpoint and it's obviously very proof-of-concept but there's clearly some ideas with regards to more complex movement tech. Titch probably won't ever finish the sequel, but I still hope they're doing well and that they're able to find some love of game development again, no matter how it happens or what gets produced.

FHCY0Vb.png

11) Elengrad

2019 by Piotr 'Xiris' Wyszynski - (2/6/2022) - Browser/HTML5 (via itch.io) - 1 hour 3 minutes - 3.5 Stars

This one is an itch game jam project - it actually won the 5th Metroidvania jam on itch, so I knew it had to be mechanically sound - and in a lot of ways it was. The only real problems were the wild tonal shifts in the story (from stoner comedy to depressing melodrama and back again in less than 5 minutes) the linearity of the map in this final HTML5 version. I know the developer mentioned being asked/possibly commissioned to do a Unity remake which seems like it's taking him some time. I can appreciate that, I just hope he smooths out some of the roughness beyond bringing it to a new engine.

cw3hpFR.png

12) Super Metroid: Ice Metal Uninstall

2010 by Lunaria - (2/9/2022) - SNES (via Mesen-S) - 10 hours 4 minutes - 4 Stars

Big fan of the Super Metroid hack scene, love seeing alternate versions of Zebes and seeing new horrible things to kill and fun ways creators mess with conventions. Lunaria's one of the pioneers in the scene and Ice Metal is overall really well made with some solid non-linearity. The only major problems with that though are that sometimes that same non-linearity can be a real problem if you don't have all your movement tech, and that there's not many shortcuts so if you're not careful you'll find yourself looping around the map two to three times just to get to a specific place. That said, exploring this whole thing when prepared is a lot of fun and so are the boss fights, which can throw a couple of unexpected curves at you as well (especially Ridley and the final boss). Glad I finally got to this one.

Last edited:

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
Max-Payne-1-game.jpg

8. Max Payne (Xbox BC) | 3 Feb - 8hrs | ★★★
First time I've played Max Payne. I played 3 before. The bullet time action is a lot of fun. I'm sure the graphics were great back then but just ugly now. I will say, 2D games age a hell of a lot better. The voice over felt almost satirical. Like I was just laughing at the hard boiled dialogue constantly.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
11: TwinBee. End: 2/3/2022. (2.5 out of 5)

An old shmup that doesn't really have an ending. There really isn't much to say about this one. A noteworthy game in a historical context, but not one that someone truly needs to play. Still had some fun with it.

Jan 10, 2019
January update! Slow start and with Elden Ring coming out very soon, I'll probably be playing that for the rest of the year.

MAIN POST.

2xSNZXK.jpg

Metroid Dread | Switch | 02/01/2021 | ★★★★½
Super Metroid is one of my favourite games of all time. Apart from Super Metroid and now Dread, I've only played the original on the NES and a bit of Metroid Prime. I had a fantastic time with Dread, Samus controls like a dream and the world is fun to explore (though a bit bland at times, in my opinion). The soundtrack however, is a complete letdown unfortunately. Still a very good game.

Cu4TpbP.jpg

Death's Door | PS5 | 11/01/2021 | ★★★★½
I'd played Titan Souls by the same dev as well and liked it, but Death's Door is just something else. Loved every bit of it. Looks amazing, the characters and writing are cool and the music was absolutely fantastic and memorable as well. Will come back to it to do an umbrella run. Death's Door is a proper gem.

uJF7Y3j.jpg

TOEM | PS5 | 15/01/2021 | ★★★★☆
What a wonderful little experience! I liked pretty much everything about this and it kind of remembered me of A Short Hike, which I loved. Need a condensed, feelgood game? Play TOEM!

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #17 - Guacamelee! 2
Time: 10 hours
Platform: Switch
Rating: ★★★★★

Decided to finally play Guac 2 after Nobody Saves the World put me in a Drinkbox mood, and as usual, it's another fantastic entry from this studio. It doesn't change much from the original, but that one was already a very well crafted metroidvania, and this is no different. The meme joke is toned down (with a little jab at people that complained about it in the first game hah), but it has the same super colorful visuals, great gameplay with lots of secret areas to search for if you are so inclined. It's a little harder than the first game, with some really challenging platform sections, so that might be a turn off for some, but it never got too frustrating and it definitely did not take away from the excellent experience. Have I said Drinkbox doesn't miss?

Main Post

Oct 27, 2017
Main Post

January
1. Sable (PC) | 1st Jan - 14hrs | 4/5 : Despite some buggy performance, I got lost in this game. The open world vibe reminded me of BOTW when it comes to freedom. See something in the distance, go there and check it out
2. SSX Tricky (GC) | 6th Jan - 15 hours | 3/5 : I remember liking this game alot more as a kid, though I think I was much better at it then. God I sucked at completing just one character's campaign
3. Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age (PC) | 9th Jan - 50 hours | 4/5 : Never fully beat it on the PS2, but thanks to the boosts in the PC version, I was able to now. Absolutely great, it might dethrone FFX as my favorite
4. Slay the Spire (PC) | 16th Jan - 26 hours | 3.5/5 : Yeah I'm counting it, beat the heart with two characters, saw credits. I'll play it more on and off, but the rougelike itch didn't get to me as much as BOI or Hades
5. Toem (PC) | 17th Jan - 3 hours | 3.5/5 : Fun little game. I thought it'd be longer, but it was enjoyable all the same. A good single sitting game
6. Life is Strange: True Colors (PS5) | 30th Jan - 13 hours | 4/5 : I actually really enjoyed it. I'm not sure if I'd say it's better than the first, but it was pretty good. Framerate was a disappointment though, especially on PS5
7. Life is Strange: Wavelengths (PS5) | 30th Jan - 2 hours | 3.5/5 : The DLC for True Colors following Steph. Surprised me how a short concise story made me like the character so much more.

On Deck This Month:
Unpacking
Horizon 2
Elden Ring
Demon Turf

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
uncharted-lost-legacy---button-f-1502413916063.jpg

9. Uncharted: Lost Legacy (PS5) | 3 Feb - 4hrs | ★★★★
Even though I rate LL as high as U4 I'd actually say it's a better game. More inline with the trilogy before getting all morose. Still prefer U2 and 3 but I'd say LL is around the original. Love Chloe and Nadine as a team. I would love another entry with them leading the game and have Sam (and maybe even Sully) show up as support too.

RMChoodie

Dec 27, 2021
American in Costa Rica
January
1. Yakuza Like A Dragon (XSX) JAN 3- 123 HOURS AND 45 MINUTES 9/10

Now Playing
Horizon Zero Dawn Level 21
FarCry 5 85% to facing the first Captain of an area
It Takes Two (fiancee co-op) 2 chapters left
Forza Horizon 5 Level 52 all Baja Races completed
Unpacking small game 3 levels in

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Main Post

header.jpg

4. Dogs Organised Neatly
If you loved Cats Organised Neatly (and I did) then you'll love the sequel. It's exactly the same game but with dogs. Hurt my brain good.

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
LyhGI6T.jpg

1. Outriders (PC) | 1/2/2022 - 34 hrs | 3/5
Almost a year after it came out, My friends and I beat the story. While the gameplay is solid, the story gets worse and worst and more dumb as you make your way through the game. The first part seems great, you land on a planet, shit starts going wrong... and then you go into a coma for 30 years. I wish it would have took place during the time everything got messed up. It would have been a hell of a lot more interesting.

Yog1TrE.jpg

2. Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker (PC) | 1/12/2022 - 55hrs | 5/5
A great end to the story of FF14 that started all the way back in 2010. They dev team really went all out in this expansion. They made some really cool zones, great new characters and the music... The music continues to be some of the best in video games and Soken should be recognized for that. In addition to the always fun gameplay, the dungeons/raid was fun and interesting. I'm really interested to see where they go with upcoming patches. This is probably my favorite game in the last year.

header.jpg

3. Aliens Fireteam Elite (PC) | 1/18/2022 - 10 hrs | 3/5
After finishing Outriders, my friends and I started up Aliens Fireteam. While there is barely any story, the gameplay is fun. It was a great time just blasting Aliens with shotguns. The ending was just a huge disappointment and felt like a ride at Universal Studios. Overall, the game was a fun romp with friends.

header.jpg

4. Inscryption (PC) | 1/30/2022 - 15.5 hrs | 4.5/5
Wow, what can I say about this game.. It was some of the most fun I had in a while and this is speaking from someone who has never played a deck builder. Without spoiling anything, the game is really interesting and keeps you on your toes.

2823ac7fa7ef0829a39bce9315e833c4.jpg

5. The Forgotten City (PC) | 2/4/2022 - 8 hrs | 4.5/5
After hearing about this from a friend and a ton of GOTY podcasts, I decided to jump in. I am a huge fan of time travel and loop games and this is one of the better ones I've played in a while. The characters and story were interesting and really pushed me to get all of the endings. I did like that the game had a way to quickly "fix" all the things you had done in earlier runs. That QOL addition removed the tedium of having to go do all the certain things every time you loop.

Main Post

Last edited:

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
1. Outriders (PC) | 1/2/2020 - 34 hrs | 3/5
Almost a year after it came out, My friends and I beat the story. While the gameplay is solid, the story gets worse and worst and more dumb as you make your way through the game. The first part seems great, you land on a planet, shit starts going wrong... and then you go into a coma for 30 years. I wish it would have took place during the time everything got messed up. It would have been a hell of a lot more interesting.
This was my feeling as well when I played through it. The setup was great, and the initial few hours were super interesting, but the story tanked toward the end

spilltheink

Dec 22, 2019
This'll be my first time participating in this as a semi-new Era user (& more of a lurker on top of that). Don't know if I'll make it to 52, but I'll try.

This January, on a new PC I have set up in my living room for games, I used Launchbox/Big Box to create an emulation-station. For that reason, many of the games I will complete this year (and some I already have) will likely be nostalgia-filled romps from my gaming history or older games I never got around to.

1. Halo Infinite Campaign (PC) | 3rd Jan - ~30 hrs | 4.5/5
2. Mary-Kate & Ashley: Magical Mystery Mall (PS1) | Jan 12th - 3 hrs | 1/5
3. Rugrats: Search for Reptar (PS1) | Jan 19 - 4hrs | 3/5
4. The Riftbreaker (PC) | Jan 25th - 22 hrs | 3.5/5
5. Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (PS1) | Feb 5 - 8.5 hrs | 4.5/5
6. Pong: The Next Level (PS1) | Feb 10 - 6 hrs. | 2/5
1. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (Wii)[40%]
2. Soul Calibur VI (PS4)[30%] - probs not gunna finish
3. Breath of Fire III (PS1)[40%] - probs not gunna finish
4. The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PS5)[20%]
5. Pokemon Legends: Arceus (Switch)[70%]
6. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (Genesis)[45%] - probs not gunna finish
7. King's Field II (PS1)[50%]
8. Star Wars: The Phantom Menace (PS1)[60%] - probs not gunna finish

1. Halo Infinite Campaign (PC) | 4.5/5
capsule-616x353.jpg

For a longtime Halo fan, Infinite's campaign was very much what I was hoping for in terms of moment-to-moment gameplay. The introduction of open-world elements suited this franchise much more than I would've guessed. I loved so much of what this game had to offer, but feel as though the willful deconstruction of the plotlines that Halos 4 and 5 were leading up to (despite those games' narratives not really landing) left a really weird feeling with the way that this game's story landed. Still, I had a blast. I'll be playing again when co-op releases & hope to see smaller story packs added to infinite in the future.

2. Mary-Kate & Ashley: Magical Mystery Mall (PS1) | 1/5
mary-kate-ashley-magical-mystery-mall-screenshot-5.jpg

The first of this year's emulated games, Magical Mystery Mall was somehow much worse than I remembered. The experience of playing through with my girlfriend and her best friend was a lot of fun, but all of that was in spite of the game. Something about a room full of 30 year-olds yelling at pixelated Olsons as teenagers when button inputs seem to fail is disturbing, but somehow so bizarrely apt in the cursed year that is 2022.

3. Rugrats: Search for Reptar (PS1) | 3/5
maxresdefault.jpg

Another emulated game from my childhood, Rugrats: Search for Reptar held up MUCH better. It's effectively a collection of mini-games that tie into episodes of the TV show, which you select from a fully-explorable hub world: the Pickles' Home. Honestly, it's kinda good. It made me wanna go watch Rugrats, which isn't an urge I've had for nearly two decades, so good job, I guess? If it weren't for how terrible PS1 era 3D controls feel, I'd have probably rated this higher.

4. The Riftbreaker (PC) | 3.5/5
egs-theriftbreaker-exorstudios-s3-2560x1440-75291424bf25-2560x1440-7fc550d5bbcf31fb84d5f3a75d42d4d8.jpg

This game was kind of an impulse buy for me, but I think it surprised me a lot. It's a weird hybrid of a base-building/management sim with an action-RPG, which takes place on a hostile alien world. Both of its genres really speak to me and the game has a lot of little innovations which make it feel fresh and interesting as well. My only complaint is that about halfway through playing the campaign, it began to feel very samey to me. At that point, you had unlocked basically everything which made meaningful differences to gameplay and could only upgrade from then on. Super impressive game from an indie studio!

5. Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (PS1) | 4.5/5
maxresdefault-1.jpg

I loved this game when I was younger and it holds up so well. If you've never heard of the series, this game is a 2.5D platformer with a unique 'inflate the enemy and carry them around until you have to throw them somewhere' attack mechanic. It's adorable and has an amazing style with fantastic music as well. It's a near-perfect experience in pacing, difficulty-scaling, and variety of level concepts. I would recommend this game (or to a slightly lesser extent, it's Wii Remake) to anyone who enjoys playing games

6. Pong: The Next Level (PS1) | 2/5
images.jpg

Before starting to replay this game, I remember playing it to 100% completion and looking back on the experience fondly. Fuck that. This game is so incredibly frustrating. It is, at its core, just Pong with interesting power-ups and shake ups to the regular 1v1 dynamic of the original Atari game, but the wonky physics, lack of sensitivity options, and straight-up cheating AI make it a terrible experience. I still did 100% it, but I had to resort to save-state scumming to not lose my mind while having to load in and out of levels I had failed so I could replay them.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
apps.10184.13585830814774327.d6e142bb-27e2-4109-8139-edac768eca10.4233d247-29c3-40cb-8464-f762cb01cbef

Game #4: Nobody Saves the World - Platform: XSX/PC - Date: 25th January 2022 - Time: 19hrs

Considering I hit credits exactly a week after launch, I think this is the fastest I've beaten a ~20hr newly released game. I was hooked on the cycle of unlocking forms. Later unlocks are some of the very best imo. In other games with this amount of character class variety, I'd likely make it to the end having only sampled around two thirds of the forms. Nobody Saves the World makes this challenging but very achievable, and I can't say it felt like a grind. The Game Pass save anywhere support meant I was able to transition from my Series X to the PC for the entire second half of the game. Also, as it's the only game on my completion list that actually released this year, it's my current GOTY by default! It's very exciting to look ahead at 2022's release schedule and ponder whether it will be in my top ten by year's end. I'd known Drinkbox's previous work with Guacamelee and its sequel, and their latest title has ensured I'll keep tabs on them in future.

b0864505790d5178ededf477e1b28d3f96ccba8082ca6c6bacc10354e40201cd.jpg

Game #5: Disco Elysium: The Final Cut - Platform: PC - Date: 5th February 2022 - Time: 27hrs

I'd wanted to play Disco Elysium for a while, and nearly bit the bullet when it had a console release but the supposed technical issues at launch put me off. Well, once this got its hooks into me on PC I just couldn't stop playing. I lost most of yesterday to the game. It's darkly funny from the very beginning, and although I loved choosing the comical dialogue choices at first, I did end up crafting a narrative path for myself that felt uplifting and earned. Every story was worth hearing, even if it didn't aid my investigation. I suspect I'll play it all over again, sometime down the line, to see how much I would do differently.

...I am the law.

Been playing some Pokemon Legends Arceus, but that's a game I'll likely return to in spurts rather than complete. Dying Light 2 is my main console game now, but I expect to be playing a lot of Sifu very soon. The relative shortness of Sifu compared to DL2 means I might be logging that first. Still, I'm loving games right now. A brilliant couple of months ahead.

nacimento

Oct 27, 2017
R.3006c1c3bf1361e07e7bfa7b9364313a

5. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III (Switch) - Jan 29th 104hrs - ★★★★★

Finally got around playing Trails of Cold Steel III after finishing the Crossbell arc last year. Trails does something no other game series does as well, which is building up a history of the world over multiple games and arcs. In Cold Steel III this is especially true, with characters and plot points from prior games returning to great effect. I am not sure I necessarly like where the plot is heading, but the journey is exceptional. It is also a game of gigantic lenght, however it does not feel padded or to long at any point. I obviously started it already in 2021. It is tropey in many ways, but that is not enough to hamper the experience. Overall Cold Steel III truly delivers both regarding gameplay and story and it further cements the Trails series as one of the top JRPG series around for me.

maxresdefault.jpg

6. Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir (PS4/PS5) - Jan 30th 37hrs - ★★★★1/2

A beautiful game with great gameplay and a charming story, Odin Sphere truly delivered. The characters were fun to play as and the different narrative strings fit well together. I thoroughly enjoyed Odin Sphere, my first Vanillaware game. Some parts were a little repetitive, but the game's charms helped to loop over it. Overall truly an inspired game with a very unique personality.

Main Post