5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
30. Elden Ring (Xbox One) | 29 July - 149 hrs | 5/5

My first From Software game and I'm blown away. The difficulty in this game, for me, comes from knowing how to fight regular enemies. Every enemy in the game has the ability to absolutely destroy you, but when you figure out the patterns and how to approach each enemy it gets easier. The same thing with the bosses. Figure out their weakness, their attack patterns and then gear up to take advantage of that and it makes things a LOT easier.

Normally I'm not much for this 3rd person fantasy style game but this game really hooked me. It feels like an arcade game, and those boss fights trigger that "just one more go" thing. But I must say that some bosses are weirdly unbalanced for the area that you're in.

I've never played a From Software game before and there's hardly any plot, so I did what the game told me and followed the embers of grace and they led me to Stormweil Castle where Margit was waiting for me, and he easily destroyed me. I had to complete both West and East Limgrace, Weeping Peninsula and some of Sofria River Well area before I was powerful enough to beat him. Could be that I was new to the combat system but that boss felt super overpowered compared to the area he was in. In other areas the normal enemies were tough as nails and the boss was a pushover?

Besides that, my only gripe is the quests. I've never experienced anything more vague. If you don't write down the cryptic shit they're saying good luck remembering anything as there's no quest log. Also, when they leave and area you have no idea where they are going. You will just bump into them down the line.

My favorite thing about the game is the exploration. The map is HUGE!! Love to ride around looking at the beautiful sights and stumbling across cave and dungeons. I hope Breath of the Wild 2 has more of that stuff.

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CgoT-DiLkfm/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Last edited:

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
48: Live A Live. End: 7/31/2022. (4.5 out of 5)

A classic through and through. If this game had been released outside of Japan in the mid-90s, western fans would still be talking about it to this day regardless of the remake. What makes this game special is its varied gameplay, different scenarios, and powerful theming that ties it all together. This game is a must-play in my mind for any JRPG fan. (It's only real flaw is it's a bit on the easy side if you view that as a negative.)

el_galvon

Jun 13, 2019
01. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (Dreamcast) | Jan/02 - 10hrs | ★★★★★
02. Super Mario World (SNES) | Jan/02 - 5hrs | ★★★★★
03. Super Mario 64 (N64) | Jan/08 - 17hrs | ★★★★★
04. Unpacking (PC) | Jan/08 - 4hrs | ★★★★☆
05. Contra III: The Alien Wars (SNES) | Jan/15 - 3hrs | ★★★★☆
06. Panzer Dragoon II Zwei (Sega Saturn) | Jan/16 - 2hrs | ★★★★★
07. Rhythm Heaven Fever (Wii) | Jan/18 - 12hrs | ★★★★★
08. Banjo-Kazooie (XBO) | Jan/24 - 11hrs | ★★★★★
09. Cyber Shadow (XBO) | Jan/28 - 8hrs | ★★★☆☆
10. Destiny 2: Forsaken (PS4) | Jan/29 - 8hrs | ★★★★☆
11. The Medium (PC) | Feb/15 - 9hrs | ★★☆☆☆
12. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit Remastered (PS4) | Feb/16 - 35hrs | ★★★★★
13. Touhou Luna Nights (XBO) | Feb/18 - 6hrs | ★★★★☆
14. ARCADE GAME SERIES: Ms. PAC-MAN (PS4) | Feb/19 - 2hrs | ★★★★☆
15. Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum Session! (PS4) | Mar/01 - 40hrs | ★★★★★
16. Persona 5 (PS4) | Mar/28 - 150hrs | ★★★★★
17. Xeodrifter (PS Vita) | Mar/30 - 2hrs | ★★★☆☆
18. Gorogoa (XBO) | Apr/06 - 1hr | ★★★☆☆
19. Need for Speed (PS4) | Apr/07 - 25hrs | ★★☆☆☆
20. Kero Blaster (PS4) | Apr/10 - 5hrs | ★★★★☆
21. Jak II (PS4) | Apr/17 - 15hrs | ★★☆☆☆
22. OFF (PC) | Apr/19 - 6hrs | ★★★★★
23. Celeste (PS4) | Apr/22 - 14hrs | ★★★★☆
24. The Artful Escape (Xbox) | Apr/23 - 3hrs | ★★☆☆☆
25. Flywrench (PS4) | Apr/27 - 2hrs | ★★★☆☆
26. Streets of Rage 4 (XBO) | Apr/28 - 3hrs | ★★★★☆
27. Save Room - Organization Puzzle (PC) | Apr/29 - 2hrs | ★★★☆☆
28. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS4) | May/13 - 6hrs | ★★★★☆
29. Never Alone (Kisima Inŋitchuŋa) (PS4) | May/15 - 3hrs | ★★★☆☆
30. Transistor (PS4) | May/22 - 16hrs | ★★★★★
31. Resident Evil (PS4) | Jun/05 - 16hrs | ★★★★☆
32. Mega Man 2 (Mega Man Legacy Collection) (PS4) | Jun/08 - 2hrs | ★★★★★
33. Mega Man 3 (Mega Man Legacy Collection) (PS4) | Jun/09 - 3hrs | ★★★★☆
34. Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition (PS4) | Jun/15 - 35hrs | ★★★★☆
35. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge (PC) | Jun/18 - 3hrs | ★★★★☆
36. Umurangi Generation (PC) | Jun/19 - 3hrs | ★★★★☆
37. Tetris Effect (PS4) | Jun/21 - 20hrs | ★★★★★
38. Trek to Yomi (XBO) | Jun/23 - 3hrs | ★★☆☆☆
39. Asura's Wrath (XBO) | Jun/25 - 12hrs | ★★★★★
40. Disc Room (PC) | Jun/26 - 4hrs | ★★★★☆
41. Pokémon Legends: Arceus (Switch) | Jul/11 - 54hrs | ★★★★☆
42. Cuphead (PC) | Jul/22 - 7hrs | ★★★★★
43. Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course (PC) | Jul/22 - 4hrs | ★★★★★
44. Katamari Damacy REROLL (PC) | Jul/23 - 5hrs | ★★★★☆
45. Tunic (PC) | Jul/25 - 12hrs | ★★★1/2

xIGHRcy.gif

As someone who has never played anything from the series, the controls definitely feels strange at first, as it requires both analog sticks to move your Katamari, but it was something I got used to soon. My real problems came from the camera, like in moments where your character moves between various objects, and knowing exactly which objects you can capture with the Katamari or not. It was not uncommon for me to collide with an object apparently smaller than another one that I had collected before. But, in general, the experience is positive. The game is very simple but with a high replay value with it's score system, in addition to having secret collectibles in each level. The unique visual style ensures that Katamari Damacy is an easily recognizable game for anyone who has seen it, but what really shines for me here is the soundtrack, which navigates between various styles superbly. The juxtaposition of listening to an upbeat j-pop song while people are screaming being glued into a giant Katamari surely got me a good laugh.​

RvY6TCN.gif

Tunic could be way more memorable if it didn't play against its own strengths. The game it's beautiful, knows well how to use it's colors, light and shadows to build each scenario. Exploration is exciting, as each place is full of secret passages and layers of puzzles that you will discover as you complete the game's most important collectible: the manual. Sometimes this manual explains things you could always do since the beginning, but didn't know until then, and it's fantastic. It manages to create some "Eureka!" moments when you see that world in a different way. The big problem here is that these moments are placed between many sections of a mediocre to bad combat, that becomes frustrating over time. There are some good accessibility options that basically make the character invincible, but the thing is, the bad combat is still there, in excess. Still, solving a lot of its secrets was a lot of fun, I just feel like I could have enjoyed it more had the moment-to-moment gameplay been more interesting.​

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
header.jpg

20. Street Fighter 4 (Xbox 360/Series X) | 7/7/2022 - 1 hr | 3/5
I saw that I had owned this on Xbox 360 and since I'd played a bunch of Street Fighter games last year, I thought I'd give it a go. Overall I wasn't a fan of the game. I worked through arcade mode on normal and ran into the rigged POS brick wall that is the final boss. I got so fed up I quit and flipped it to easy and I again got destroyed by the CPU. This is the most rigged boss I've ever played in a fighting game. I decided I didn't want to waste anymore time and just quit.

header.jpg

21. Neon White (PC) | 7/31/2022 - 16 hrs | 4.5/5
This is one of THE BEST games I've played this year. While the story is pretty pedestrian, the gameplay is what makes it. I can't describe the feeling how cool it feels to go zipping around the stages like its second nature when trying to better your times. I would have continued chipping away to get all Ace medals, but decided on just going for gold as some of the levels really stumped me. This game is great and I hope they revisit it in the future.

Main Post

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Main Post

July
39. Kao the Kangaroo (PC) | 2nd July - 5.5 hours | 2.5/5 : I really wanted to like this game. I was hoping for something closer to Spyro, but this just felt bad to control.
40. Milk inside a bag of milk inside a bag of milk (PC) | 3rd July - 15 minutes | 2.5/5 : I bought both games in the series during the sale and uhh...shit I don't know what the hell I played
41. Stars Die (PC) | 3rd July - 2.7 hours | 3/5 : While the "gameplay" wasn't that interesting, the aesthetic and endings were pretty good and kinda depressing
42. Sludge Life (PC) | 4th July - 2.7 hours | 2/5 : I was hoping for something like Umurangi Generation, but this was a lot less interesting.
43. Citizen Sleeper (PC) | 9th July - 5.2 hours | 4/5 : Heard good things about this game and it lived up to them. Some of the mechanics take some time to get a handle on, but the characters, story, and world building was excellent
44. Evan's Remains (PC) | 9th July - 2.1 hours | 2.5/5 : Interesting puzzles, very sad story
45. Milk outside a bag of milk outside a bag of milk (PC) | 10th July - 52 minutes | 2.5/5 : Easier to follow than the first game, still wish I understood the actual story of the game
46. Was It Worth It? (PC) | 16th July - 42 minutes | 1.5/5 : A boring narrative game (walking simulator), which is the worst sin for these types of games
47. Stray (PS5) | 23rd July - 4 hours | 4/5 : I have enjoyed the game, I wasn't looking for a cat simulator or a platformer, just an adventure game in an interesting world and it delivered on that.
48. Coffee Talk (PC) | 25th July - 4 hours | 3.5/5 : Very chill, very nice story-led game. I hope the sequel is just as laidback

Currently Playing:
Xenoblade Chronicles 3

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
Wow!!
today I finished my game number 45 this year…
I actually think that I will complete the challenge this year.
usually I finish 10 To 15 games in a year…

I will update with the games list and opinion.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Finished up with July. Main post through here.

July (41/52)
37. Deadpool - Xbox Series X - 8 hours
38. Stray - PS5 - 4 hours
39. Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising - Xbox Series X - 13 hours, 9 minutes
40. God of War: Ascension - PS5 - 7 hours, 43 minutes
41. As Dusk Falls - Xbox Series X - 5 hours, 12 minutes

Ended up being a productive month even though I had a lot of stuff going on in my personal life that I thought would derail progress. Only 11 games left, so I should be able to finish by the year's end.

August (45/52)
42. WWE 2K22 Showcase Mode - Xbox Series X - 3 hours
43. God of War 3 Remastered - PS5 - 7 hours
44. God of War 2 HD - PS5 - 10 hours, 10 minutes
45. Midnight Fight Express - Xbox Series X - 8 hours, 40 minutes

Last edited:

Wesker

Aug 3, 2020
Wow!!
today I finished my game number 45 this year…
I actually think that I will complete the challenge this year.
usually I finish 10 To 15 games in a year…

I was blown away how fast I was with finishing some games. I currently have three games left to finish.
It's a great way to clean up one's backlog. :D

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
th

27) Fall Guys Ultimate Edition(PS4) 7/3-7/4

More of the same, won't go too detail about this one since I put a boat load of time into this game for the 2020 challenge. Will say few things worth note of my re-visit of this game.

1) Won my 1st game and my 1st crown within my 1st try but only ended up winning like 3 or 4 more times after this in like 15 tries. Still no idea how people get the Infallible trophy, especially solo.

2) The new games are really over the top as far as gimmicks go, some hit with me, others not so much. We're talking in the sense that this gets confusing on where exactly you are going, as there's such a lack of linearity that it ends up getting too much in my opinion. Still, I appreciate the creativity and difference that these new obstacle courses present but you definitely need to familiarize yourself with these games to truly get good at them.

Game is still pretty wacky and silly fun when you do a couple of sessions. Think the game is at its best when treated as such. Can definitely see myself jumping every now. Pretty cool the amount of updates that Mediatonic are still doing for the game. Not as crazy about the game as I was back in 2020 but still it's fun nevertheless.

th

28) A.I. The Somnium Files nirvanA Initiative(XBX) 6/26, 7/1-7/4, 7/6-7/18

So I have wrapped up A.I. The Somnium Files: nirvanA Initiative! Pretty much, if you at all liked A.I. The Somnium Files, you will adore this game as much as I have. The writing is terrific, the humor admittedly might not be for everyone(It has a ton of toilet/sex jokes, especially the 1st half of the game) but it got me laughing, the twists were pretty good and it really took the small flaws of the 1st one and got it to be a little better(The somniums were less convoluted). What these games do so well is they make sure the player isn't completely lost within the plot with simplistic comparisons or consistently refreshing your memory with what you played. Some may see it as babying, sure but the plot gets pretty deep with science and philosophy that it is appreciated the way the story holds you on the ride without allowing you to get too lost in everything discussed.

Speaking of, the plot is admittedly pretty deep and full of twists, as you'd expect from the creator behind the Zero Escape series. A lot of spirituality is discussed as well as a lot of different philosophies that exist within the real world so if you at all liked this, you will probably enjoy the living heck out of this game. Again, this game does a bang up job making sure you aren't completely lost with it's simplistic by design examples & refreshing your memory. Where this game differs a little bit within the 1st however is that I feel some of the characters introduced in this game don't really end up having a real role for being in this game and often have little to no significance in the grand scheme of things. However, for the most part, each character ends up becoming a piece to the puzzle that helps you fully understand what is going on in this game. Without going too much into spoilers, you find a dead body of someone that is left in a peculiar way and this leads you to a wild goose chase as to who did it and how they did it. Where this sequel differs is unlike with the 1st game that had you play one primary main character, this one has two major protagonists, both Ryuki & Mizuki(Who returns from the 1st one). Each one has a different temperament, each one was pretty enjoyable to play and laugh with and each one has a completely different A.I. companion that has tagged next to them that adds to the hilarity & plot. Both characters of course play the same but each route of theirs holds significance in the story so neither did I feel really drag itself too much. There are minor gripes I have with how one of the characters is handled by the end game due to lack of appearance but overall, this was a job well done by Spike Chunsoft.

Practically every character from the 1st game is back, although this game does put more of an emphasis on the new cast with the older cast being either cameo appearances or playing a role in the background if at all. The cast and characters made the 1st game so damn good and while (IMO) this cast isn't as good, it is still a pretty diverse cast of characters that you either love or hate out of sheer evilness. Playing this one in English, the voice acting was terrific and once again, I felt like the voice actors & actresses perfectly fit each character to a tee.

I mentioned one of the major positives in this sequel vs the original one are the somniums. If there was at all any kind of blemish with the 1st game, it would be the somniums of A.I. 1 got a bit too much where you are cutting it super close from failing and walking a couple extra steps make the difference of you succeeding or not. A couple of the 1st game's somniums also got a little bit confusing in a maze like sort of way, where as the sequel basically hints and tells you to consider looking at items, not leading you into doing something out of order or unnecessarily to waste your time. By no means was the 1st game's somniums bad but you can definitely see the point of emphasis Spike Chunsoft(The developers) made in bettering this vital mechanic. Playing this on the normal difficult was just right but there are easier difficulties for this mechanic if you just want to breeze through for the story. Where nirvanA Initiative falls a little short gameplay wise is the amount of Quick Time Events(QTE) involved. Compared to the 1st one, this feels like it has almost twice as many QTE's so if you like quick button presses, you will be a happy camper. For me, these weren't so great because the checkpoints aren't too kind if you press one wrong prompt....we're talking replaying a couple of QTE sequences prior to. It also didn't help because I played this on the XBOX Series X console, which is more fault of my own, I am not as used to the controller as opposed to the Playstation where I know the button prompts by heart. So when they say RB, I accidentally hit RT and it's game over and I am like "God damnit stop doing that LOL".

My opinion, nirvanA Initiative does fall a tad below the original for me, maybe due to ridiculous high expectations or due to the cast not being as great. That being said though, this is one of the best visual novels I have played and if you at all liked the 1st A.I. game, you just have to dive right into this one no questions asked! I just felt the 1st one was just a superb experience and it was a tough ask for the sequel to come close to how great the 1st one was for me and it came up just shy.

P.S. This game has a couple of easter eggs for anyone who has played 999, which was a previous entry of the creator of the A.I. series just as a heads up. There is also tons of references to the 1st game that you will greatly appreciate if you played the previous game. However, what this game does well is that it still makes sure you fully understand who and what everybody is/represents if you haven't played the 1st game(Why not?!)

stray-key-art.jpg

29) Stray(PS5) 7/22, 7/24

Stray is really pretty(At least on PS5) and the music is totally fitting of the game's scenery but I think the game's length really disallows you from fully diving head in when it comes to getting fully into the game. Stray is so much more than a cat walking sim or that you play as a cat, there's a story of a forgotten city behind that...that on paper is interesting but due to the game length, it never really stuck with me. Each NPC that is in these hubs just felt redundant for me and just came and go, to the point where I ignored some of them & just went on my way towards completing the game. Only the major characters end up mattering where they had any form of a personality.

There's these open world hubs that are around and I liked collecting and finding new memories or items to sell to the merch or musical notes but due to no map, you often found yourself walking in circles which fully stopped me from getting a full completion of your robot companion's memory bank. I could have done with just one more open hub as I felt the 3rd big character just came and instantly went, as he had no real purpose, especially in comparison to the other 3 characters. Possible time crunch that caused that but wish there was a tad bit more meat on the bone.

As far as the combat goes, I actually liked the chase scenes and there was a certain level of suspense when it comes to them but my biggest gripe would be the checkpoint system could have been a little closer if you died and more importantly, the lack of enemy variation was evident. There's a grand total of 2 enemies in this game, a little blob that if they stick on you long enough, will kill you and these drones that if spotted will instant kill on sight. That's it, 2 enemies! And the combat of the game lasts for a good 10 minutes before that is even taken away from you.

Majority of the game is you going up on rooftops or through sewers by pressing X rather than actually jumping as this game is mostly exploration with combat taking a complete backseat. I get how wanting a platformer would have been grand for some, but I don't necessarily mind the game choice here. My lone issue is when you do this, I sometimes found myself jumping to the wrong place by jumping X(I.E. I want to go up, but the button prompts between going down and up are so close, I end up taking my cat downward instead of up). Admittedly, a little nitpicky but still something that's there nevertheless.

I found Stray to be alright but not something that stuck with me, it came and certainly went. I think the lack of time within the game ultimately meant that there was a limited time to truly get attached to the environment and characters and I think in that regard,

As-Dusk-Falls-is-an-almost-perfect-trip-Review.jpg

30) As Dusk Falls(XSX) 7/25-7/26

In addition to Stray, I also played As Dusk Falls, which is an XBOX exclusive narrative that. I actually enjoyed myself a little bit more than I did with Stray, this is basically a Life is Strange style narrative based/choice game.......................except your choices actually end up mattering in the end! Unlike Telltale games or Life is Strange(Which I liked the 1st one a lot, Before the Storm not so much), one decision you end up making can take you in a completely different path and get different interactions with characters or events that happen with a said character. I think it makes the decisions that you choose all the more meaningful knowing you go on different branch/paths by one selection. What this leads to for the player is multiple playthroughs(I only did one!) which adds to the replayability, especially given that the game is roughly 6 hours long.

The story without giving away too much is basically two families get caught in a certain event/situation and you play respective characters of each side as they interact with one another, for better or for worse. A lot of twists and turns occur and the attention to detail that exists for each character is major as one dialogue choice you make in one chapter ends up getting brought up again down the road. The best thing I can say about As Dusk Falls is that it really feels like a vast majority of your choices really matter. The voice acting is another feather to this game's cap as I felt each character was fantastic and felt extremely fitting of whom they are playing as. In a narrative based game, this is massive! The QTE at least for me, were pretty responsive and nothing too convoluted, which some of these games admittedly fall flat on. Very forgiving as far as the timing goes where it isn't "do it or die" and some are really well placed where you can feel the suspense and tension mounting where your tapping for your dear life to succeed.

The big elephant of the room is the controversial artwork/design choice of the game. You will either love or hate this, there's no in-between. Admittedly, in first glance.......the game was somewhat of an eyesore. Think Tom Goes to the Mayor if you are familiar with that show from the 2000's of Adult Swim/Cartoon Network. Now of course, the artwork is much more colorful and more work is done in comparison to Tom Goes to the Mayor but it's practically still shots of a character with a different frame being used to portray an action or emotion. It's pretty hard to explain but it's a unique artstyle that goes against the cel shaded animation that a Telltale game goes for but it will take tons of time in getting used to. For me? Not my cup of tea but the longer you get into the game, the more you get used to it oddly enough. The narrative is just that good....that the artwork just doesn't break your desire in learning more about the story.

The biggest gripe I would have with this game is that Chapters 1-3 are phenomenal. Relentless, fast paced, absolutely crazy pace, especially Chapter 3 where things are coming hard and fast. Chapters 4-5 dial the tension quite a lot which is fine so they weren't bad.........but Chapter 6/end chapter was just a giant wet fart IMO. Game just ends too soon and between the cliffhanger that gives you zero closure and some real suspect(Without going into spoilery detail) plot holes, I was admittedly a little letdown by how this game ends. It tries to wrap things up in the best way it could but the design behind it felt almost rushed and I felt little to nothing as far as the two major characters go because (at least on my playthrough), they barely had an interaction at all. This final chapter acts as if they knew each other forever or that they were in cahoots or something so for me, I just had a puzzled "WTF?" look to myself.

An overall heck of a game that is marred by the final hour or so, 5/6 of the journey was fantastic but the light at the end of the tunnel was a big letdown. Still, an easy recommend if you have XBOX Game Pass as it is free on it as we speak!

sosadtoday

May 18, 2021
9. 01/08/2022 - stray - ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ - ps5 - 8 hours

lovely game. never felt repetitive to me. wherever you go there was a cozy spot to pause the game and just enjoy the moment. i wish there was an option to choose which type of cat you would like to play and more gadgets, like the power that comes with mario outfits. opening was super comfy, for a few hours i just turn on the volume and just scrolled on my phone while rain and cats in the background and it was super relaxing.

main post.

Last edited:

Deleted member 32615

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
a57d3a8a5796427039037a922e05ad2c.jpg

Game 11: Witcheye (PC) (3 Hours) (2/5) (August 2nd, 2022)
I don't like talking down on indie games like this because it's pretty clear a lot of love has been put into Witcheye but man playing this felt like a slog. I picked this up for $5 in a sale a while back but never had gotten around to playing it, it felt odd that a title like this that seemed to have some cool ideas was mostly forgotten in the library of Devolver games and man, I can see why now. Simply put this isn't really made for PC, well it doesn't feel like it at least. The swiping of the mouse is pretty intuitive but introducing a stop button on the same button that is used to swipe/move means a lot of movements that you try to do get lost because the game assumes you are trying to stop in your tracks, resulting in you getting hit. This just kind of makes the game hard to control and it's pretty obvious that if I was playing this on iOS I'd have had a much better time because the music is really nice and I think the quick levels make for a fun on the go experience. I also think the game suffers from not having too distinct of a look, like there are a few indie games that look like this an outside of the "playing as an eye-ball gimmick" there isn't too much to make the game standout from other contemporaries

All in all, a bit disappointing, and at $5 I'm not too unhappy with what I got but this just wasn't a fun playthrough at times

Main Post

RMChoodie

Dec 27, 2021
American in Costa Rica
1. Yakuza Like A Dragon (XSX) JAN 3- 123 HOURS AND 45 MINUTES 9/10
2. The Forgotten City (XSX) JAN 22- 13 HOURS AND 48 MINUTES 9/10
3. Hitman( 2016) (XSX) FEB 4 68 HOURS AND 22 MINUTES 9/10
4. It Takes Two (PS5) FEB 8 14 HOURS 12 MINUTES 4/10
5. Hitman 2 (XSX) MAR 22 45 HOURS AND 38 MINUTES 8/10
6. Unpacking (XSX) APR 7 6 HOURS AND 17 MINUTES 6/10
7. Horizon Zero Dawn (PS5) APR 18 76 HOURS AND 49MINUTES 8/10
8. FarCry 5 (XSX) APR 26 53 HOURS AND 29 MINUTES 8/10
9. FarCry 5 Hours of Darkness (XSX) MAY 1 3 HOURS AND 12 MINUTES 4/10
10.FarCry 5 Lost on Mars (XSX) MAY 6 3 HOURS AND 26 MINUTES 5/10
11.FarCry 5 Dead Living Zombies (XSX) MAY 8 4 HOURS AND 17 MINUTES 3/10
12.Life Is Strange True Colors (XSX) MAY 29 12 HOURS AND 41 MINUTES 4/10
13.Horizon Zero Dawn The Frozen Wilds (PS5) MAY 30 10 HOURS AND 11 MINUTES 6/10
14.Trek To Yomi (XSX) JUNE 18 8 HOURS AND 19 MINUTES 4/10
15.Greedfall (XSX) JUNE 27 49 HOURS AND 50 MINUTES 6/10
16.Assasin's Creed Origins The Hidden Ones (PS5) JULY 6 7 HOURS AND 35 MINUTES 7/10
17.MLB The Show 22 (XSX) JULY 9 80 HOURS And 7 MINUTES 9/10
18.Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Shredder's Revenge (XSX) JULY 10 13 HOURS AND 21 MINTUES 8/10
19.Sonic The Hedgehog (XSX) JULY 10 3HOURS AND 36 MINUTES 4/10
20.Citizen Sleeper (XSX) JULY 23 10 HOURS AND 21 MINUTES 9/10
21.Assassin's Creed Origins Curse Of The Pharoahs (PS5) JULY 25 12 HOURS 8/10
22.The Quarry (XSX) AUG 14 18 HRS AND 29 MINUTES 5/10
23. Immortality (XSX) SEP 6 10 HRS AND 4 MINUTES 9/10
24. Tiny Tina Wonderlands (XSX) SEP 12 26 HOURS AND 17 MINUTES 7/10
25.Two Point Campus (XSX) SEP 18 96 HOURS AND1 MINUTE 7/10
26. Assasin's Creed Vahalla OCT 11 121 HOURS AND 29 MINUTES 8/10

July update
16.Assasin's Creed Origins The Hidden Ones (PS5) JULY 6 7 HOURS AND 35 MINUTES 7/10
17.MLB The Show 22 (XSX) JULY 9 80 HOURS And 7 MINUTES 9/10
18.Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Shredder's Revenge (XSX) JULY 10 13 HOURS AND 21 MINTUES 8/10
19.Sonic The Hedgehog (XSX) JULY 10 3HOURS AND 36 MINUTES 4/10
20.Citizen Sleeper (XSX) JULY 23 10 HOURS AND 21 MINUTES 9/10
21.Assassin's Creed Origins Curse Of The Pharoahs (PS5) JULY 25 12 HOURS 8/10

NP
The Quarry
Nobody Saves The World
God of War (2018)
Lost In Random

Writes up on the way

Last edited:

Sillen2000

Oct 1, 2019
Main Post

June update: 27/52

Not the most interesting month honestly.

nBC7HEb.jpg

24. June 4th | Final Fantasy 2 (Pixel Remaster) | PC | 19h 20m | Replay | ☆☆½(/5)
I always root for Final Fantasy II for some reason. I have played some of it on Famicom, PS1, beaten it on GBA, PSP and now PC, and before I start a new playthrough (and this is probably the last one I'll do to be honest. I don't really have the time or wish to replay mediocre games now that I'm not a literal child anymore), I always hope to find something special within FF2 that will make me appreciate it more because there are a lot of really good or at least interesting concepts within this little game. I feel like it's important here to really stress that I said "concept" here, because they're really not very good in practice.

A lot of people don't like the level up system in this game, and I sort of agree with them. Not the complaint that you have to hit yourself to level up HP or whatever, but by the fact that it, at least in this pixel remaster, feels very random what stat is upgraded when, and very inconsistent with when they actually upgrade something, making a lot of battles feel pretty pointless when you don't have a clear experience bar to fill up or something like that. This is a pretty big issue since FF2 has maybe the worst encounter rate in this entire series, and dungeons with trap rooms just made to make you fight even more. I like a good turn-based RPG as much as the next guy, but I need a better reason to fight a million fights than that I might get a minor stat improvement after some of them. I'm sure there is a system to it and you do get good stats eventually no matter what, but there are just too many fights for too little reward. Also every guest party member sucks, but it is what it is. Not like you have them long enough for it to really matter anyway. As far as I understand Square also messed things up in this game by having enemies that previously could inflict statuses on you with normal attacks always doing so with each hit in this game, making enemies like Coeurl with their chance of inflicting instant death when hitting with a normal attack extremely dangerous.

Maybe it is the constant fighting, but it's not like the rest of the game is all that fun either. There's so much time spent just wandering between the first town and the eastern part of the starting continent, beating a few dungeons that have a bit more thought put into them than the ones in the first game, but still plagued by the encounter rate and the aforementioned trap rooms where several times there're just a few doors in front on you where it's pure trial and error if you take the right one or not. Not like it really matters since all the trap rooms amount to is at least one fight against an enemy, but these occurences add up pretty quickly. I do like the final dungeon where the map designer suddenly realized that it would be fun to not have these trap rooms, but still sort of a maze like structure and alternate paths which lead to treasure, but that's about the one highlight there.

While I do want to praise Square for having put a cohesive story about a rebellion fighting back against an evil empire and carrying out missions to thwart them, I really wish the game didn't suddenly slow down to a complete halt for the search for Ultima. There's so much travelling across the entire world, fighting another thousand enemies, getting through some inoffensive, but still fairly bad dungeons before you're even allowed to get to the tower where the spell is held, and when you finally do get it, it's completely useless unless you spend way too much time leveling it up and it's never mentioned again after you've gotten it. FF2 isn't a long game even with this completely pointless sidetrack, but it sure is more annoying with it in there, but it's also but mainly because the game just isn't fun to play. Like, I can accept filler in a game that's fun to play, but more Final Fantasy II is not a good thing. I really wish it was, because I like how focused and low key the story is and how unique its level up system is (even if I'm not a big fan of it in practice), but I will never enjoy the act of actually playing it. The absolute beginning is sort of fun, but it all starts going downhill after fighting Borghen and never really recovers until the final dungeon, which ends on a pathetically easy final boss. Also not really sure what the point with the key word system was considering how the phrases are so extremely situational, but I get that they wanted to try out something new and it's not like they make the experience worse anyway.

I really have tried my best with trying to enjoy FF2, but it just wasn't meant to be between us. At least it has a great soundtrack that I can listen to without having to actually play the game.

Soundtrack highlight:
Pandaemonium

5rJxyjz.jpg

25. June 17th | Yakuza: Dead Souls | PS3 | 77h 11m | ☆☆½(/5)
I really am hoping to one day get to Like a Dragon, but I want to beat all of the previous games (released in the west) before I finally get to that, and so I find myself here with Yakuza: Dead Souls. Wasn't expecting to ever play this at all, but stumbled upon a cheap copy earlier this year, which... I don't know how to feel about it. I mean, I guess I'm glad to have been able to play it (and the fact that I happened to have my PS3 already hooked up to my TV), but it's also the worst Yakuza game I've played. Even the worst in the series honestly isn't that bad, but despite being about zombies in Kamurocho and giving Ryuji both his life back and a gun arm, the whole thing feels a bit bland.

The main form of gameplay is surprisingly fine. Gunplay in the Yakuza games has never been good, but they've at least revamped it a bit here, making it feel more like an actual, but very janky, third person shooter rather than pressing triangle and hoping for the best. Here you mash R1 instead and trust that the auto aim is good enough, though you can also manually aim and sometimes even have to. I do honestly like that the game just has dedicated battle zones instead of the random encounters, making it a lot less annoying to travel through the safe areas of Kamurocho than in previous games. Just too bad that the game seems to wall off areas specifically so that you have to run the max distance no matter where you're headed, but I can honestly live with it when it means I can run wherever I want to without being interrupted by street thugs, or I'm in the zombie zones where I can just ignore the enemies running at me to get where I want anyway. I of course killed them anyway since this game really can't handle that many zombies on screen at once, dropping to single digit framerate when that's the case. When you're playing down in Kamurocho's roguelike tunnels, the subterranea, that doesn't seem to matter much though, and the fps just seem to drop when the game feels like it. The subterannea, by the way? Probably the most boring thing ever introduced in any of these games. Just floor after floor of the exact same gray textures for way too long without any real difficulty no matter which difficulty you're playing on. Does become more annoying the longer you play the game, though, since it starts being filled with stronger types of enemies, several of whom that are surprisingly good at avoiding your shots even when manually aiming. Did I still do the endless subterranea for the trophy at getting to the 50th floor? Yes, but I'm a deeply disturbed person who needs to get 100% and the platinum trophy in every Yakuza game I play.

I think my biggest issue with Dead Souls, though, is that outside of its wacky concept, there just isnt' much there. Sure, you have the same mini-games as Yakuza 4 (which, sadly, for me meant doing the completion requirements for pool yet again) and those are all fine, but take out the recycled content and you have functional, but also extremely repetitive gameplay (somehow even more than the usual Yakuza game), the weakest set of substories in the series, tied with Yakuza Kiwami where half of them seemed to be about scammers. There's also absolutely no good story reason for either Akiyama or Majima to be playable here. Akiyama does more in other people's chapters than his own, and Majima is just there so the developers could add in a pretty weak joke at the end. They're both sort of just there, and that's the feeling I get for most of the story as well. You could tear apart every single Yakuza story if you really wanted to, but those at least presented a more interesting plot, with better stakes, some insane moments where you forget how to think critically other than "that's rad!", and a good amount of well earned pathos thanks to what's usually some pretty good characterisations. In Dead Souls there's really nothing of that. You'd think there'd at least be some pretty crazy things happening in a non-canon game with this premise, but it takes such a safe route the entire way through that by the end when I finally met the main villain and fought the final boss, I just felt like there was nothing there. I did not care about what was going on, which is rare since even in Yakuza 5, where I rarely could keep up with the plot, I still got swept up in the story by the end. This is just an uninterested shrug at the most for the entire duration of the game. Sure, the premise is fun at the beginning of the game, but when you start realizing that this is just off-brand House of the Dead sprinkled with [generic zombie film], and that there really isn't much of interest going on, it becomes a pretty boring experience with gunplay that while perfectly fine is still worse than most games on the market at that time.

Also have to wonder who thought that Ryuji's first chapter that 1) never seemed to end, 2) had that terrible rescue mission, 3) ended on that even more terrible forklift section was a good idea.

Soundtrack highlight:
Ryuji's Battle Theme

ul74By0.jpg

26. June 19th | A Way Out | PS4 | 6h | ☆☆☆½(/5)
You know, I actually remember way back when Josef Fares used to make movies. I don't really think he was ever lauded as some grand auteur or anything, but they did do well domestically and he did make a pretty big name for himself. Never really though he'd start directing video games instead, but I guess it's a crazy world. What's even crazier is that I just looked up his many nominations and awards, both for movies and games, on IMDB, and the first time he ever got a nomination for best script was for A Way Out. This might be one of the most baffling things I've ever seen, because this is honestly one of the dumbest scripts I've ever experienced in a video game.

Don't get me wrong; I really enjoyed the game and the sheer stupidity of it certainly had a part in that, but it's insane to me how this very talented man who released his first movie at 23 and then went on to make (and write) four other movies over the next ten years, then made his first game with Brothers: A Tale of two Sons (which I haven't played, but people seem to really enjoy it?), and then comes out with A Way Out where barely a single line of dialogue feels natural, and the main plot just speeds ahead without any sort of logic in sight. It's honestly impressive how stupid it all is, but it is very charming nonetheless and does lead to some fun gameplay segments.

And it is very fun to play. A Way Out doesn't really do anything great, and most of the optional mini-games spread throughout the game feel more than a little janky, but I do like that they're there, letting these two hardened criminals play an arcade game before jumping out of an airplane to land in Mexico™ and kill a... what is Harvey? Just a random criminal? Maybe it doesn't matter. Either way it's a lot of fun to really break the serious crime thriller with these stupid little side activities. Yes Vincent, it is a good idea to see how long you can balance on two wheels in a wheelchair when you're actually supposed to be by your wife's side as she's giving birth to your first baby. And yes Leo, you should try to get triple bullseye on the dart board before trying to reconcile with your son who hates you. It's very dumb, but it certainly gives the game a unique flavor.

This stupidity also just makes it an even better multiplayer game than it could have been if it had taken itself more seriously. Just the fact that you can(and have to) do so many things completely separate from each other is cool enough, but being able to sit there with your partner and just ridicule the game together, lauging at how the police stops chasing Leo and Vincent when they escape on a very slow row boat just makes the experience all the more precious. Despite how dumb it actually is when you stop and think about it for a second, I also think this very cooperative and immersive multiplayer really makes the end twist that much stronger, even if it ends on a set piece that the game couldn't handle all that well. Almost wish it could have ended at that completely out of nowhere side scrolling beat em up section in the hospital just for how bizarre it was. But I could say that about a lot of sections where the game suddenly switches genre, since it very much likes doing it as often as it can. That's not a complaint, by the way. I'm honestly really surprised by just how many different gameplay mechanics they managed to cram into this game, and how almost all of them are surprisingly a lot of fun. If you're someone who likes variety in your games, A Way Out is definitely for you. Just don't expect any of it to be particularly great.

Probably nothing anyone not Swedish would ever think about, but isn't it a bit strange that Josef Fares would cast his Swedish-Lebanese brother, Fares Fares, as an Italian-American in this game? He's certainly not bad as Leo, but he's also very much not an American and you can definitely hear it throughout the game. Not that it really matters, I guess. Should I have ended this little A Way Out write-up on a more interesting note? Probably, but that's just the way it goes sometimes.

Soundtrack highlight:
River

D9R6xlE.jpg

27. June 27th | Judgment | PS4 | 20h | Replay | ☆☆☆½(/5)
Wow, here's a game that certainly lost a bit of its charm on a replay (probably didn't help that I played way too much Dead Souls the same month either), almost exactly two years after I beat it the first time. Thought I'd just quickly play through Judgment on Legend for the platinum trophy, and while there are a lot of things I really enjoy about the game, there are some things with it that really annoyed me as well. I do still stand by most of what I wrote back in 2020, like how Yagami's more acrobatic combat style is a nice change of pace from Kiru's bigger focues on brute strength, and it looks very good. I do, however, feel the need to add that, at least when playing on legend, Yagami's quick step is almost useless, with enemies still hitting you and the most safe way to avoid attacks is I-frames from the wall jumping, which never really felt good to pull off. I don't know, the combat can feel very good at times, and the EX Boost is fun to use when you just want to pummel your enemies (or avoid getting mortal wounds from bosses), but give me more traditional Yakuza combat any day over this. I've heard it's better in Lost Judgment, so looking forward to play that some day.

Gameplay outside of the combat is either the usual Yakuza fare, which is mostly fun with some tedium here and there (though the hostesses have been replaced with the much better girlfriend missions), or the new detective mechanics which usually aren't all that. I enjoy the different lockpicking mini-games, but the chases are just there and the tailing missions are mind numbingly boring, especially since the citizens of Kamurocho are the most paranoid people in the world, constantly looking behind their backs and somehow also always knowing that Yagami is tailing them and not just, you know, walking down the same street. They're also way too scripted, making them even worse to play if you were to ever fail at one (which is definitely possible on the last mandatory one where the person you're tailing keeps trying to tricki you into walking out of hiding spots). Maybe it sounded good on paper, but absolutely awful in practice.

I still really love the story, however, and think the main plot and mystery is some of the best writing that RGGS has ever put into any of their games, with very few of the trademark moments of nonsense that their games otherwise have, and despite juggling a lot of balls at the same time, I never really felt that it became convoluted to the Yakuza 5 point where it becomes almost impossible to follow what's going on after a certain point. Also an absolutely fantastic cast of new characters, with Yagami being a fun main character and Kaito the most precious sidekick you could ever ask for, plus the entire law firm and surprisingly interesting Yakuza. Some of the fun is lost, of course, by me knowing who the murderer is, but it's still a really memorable journey with some fun twists and turns, plus the absolutely amazing multiphase battle against the Cane Man which really isn't integral to the story, but seriously one of my favourite long battles in any RGGS game. Final chapter (and boss) has to be one of the best finales to any of these games, both thanks to how well it builds toward it, but also in the very efficient way in which it really shows how Yagami and his weird crew have really grown close to each other over the course of the game.

It's just too bad that the pacing of this entire game is so bad. Not just because there are several mandatory side cases placed at the least opportune times in the story, but also because the Keihin Gang makes this game an absolute nightmare to play at times. Way too often do you get a text saying that the Keihin Gang is in town, which just means that the encounter rate is raised by about 1000%, and if you don't have a stealth extract or want to pull out your drone to despawn enemies constantly, it becomes a pure nightmare to run around Kamurocho unless you let time pass and they leave (at which point the game tries to guilt trip you), or you defeat their leaders a few times. I don't think I've ever felt the pacing of a game to be off because of a gameplay mechanic, but this really does make the game a slog to play, and I just groaned each time I got that text about them being in town again. Even when you complete their storyline, they still return over and over again! Yakuza 5 had a bad encounter rate, but the Keihin gang is even worse than that. Even if you run away after they've spotted you, you still can't to anything until they've stopped chasing you so even if you don't fight them you have to just wait for too long before being able to return to continuing with the story. Not sure how this didn't annoy me more the first time, but I absolutely hated getting those Keihin texts on this replay, and I certainly got a lot of them over the entire playthrough.

Still, the story is good enough to keep you invested and while the gameplay can feel a bit stiff, it still has that satisfying Yakuza feel where you get to feel really cool with yourself while knocking down five thugs at once, plus some really nice heat actions. It's dropped in my personal ranking over these games, but that doesn't mean I don't recommend it if you like the Yakuza games and want something just a bit different. It also has a super boss that's so insane that the game starts running worse than Yakuza: Dead Souls while fighting him. That has to count for something, right? Some of the absolute best boss themes in the series as well.

Soundtrack highlight:
Rake Your Inside

Currently playing:
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (Switch)

Last edited:

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
49: Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception. End: 8/3/2022. (3.5 out of 5)

There's a lot to like about Uncharted 3. But when you play these games as closely together as I did this year, you see that the franchise needed something of an overhaul. It doesn't help that one of the final chapters decided to get... a bit disorienting.

Still a decent game overall. But I think I need a break from it. I'll save Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy for the 2023 challenge.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Forgot to post earlier but here's the tally for July:

26. HoloCure: Save the Fans (PC Early Access, 2022) - 13:04 - July 3
27. Beast Breaker (PC, 2021) - 19:10 - July 5
28. The Looker (PC, 2022) - 1:29 - July 18
29. Stray (PS5, 2022) - 5:43 - July 21
30. Forza Horizon 5: Hot Wheels (PC, 2022) - 6:31 - July 22
31. Tales of Arise (PS5, 2021) - 32:39 + 24:36 in 2021 - July 27

The highlights here are HoloCure and Stray, with The Looker also being very entertaining. It was also great to finally wrap up Tales of Arise after many months of on-again-off-again play. Beast Breaker is a great idea that started to wear out its welcome by the end, and FH5 Hot Wheels is an okay idea that at least was marginally better executed than the first time it was done.

August may end up being a month of revisiting some Early Access favorites. Powerwash Simulator and Hardspace: Shipbreaker have both hit 1.0, and I've already begun putting time into both. I might also try to revisit Fire Emblem: Three Houses in a bid to clear the decks for a Three Hopes playthrough or two, though with Xenoblade 3 out there's a lot of competition for my dwindling Switch playtime. Finally, I started Digimon Survive and AI: The Somnium Files recently, which might be one VN too many but I'm hoping to see at least one of them through.

Deleted member 32615

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
4d7af326277bdf0d4b3394b18bfc2191.jpg

Game 12: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Shredder's Revenge (PC) (2 Hours, 30 Minutes) (3/5) (August 4th, 2022)
I'm not someone who grew up with TMNT so initially when buying this game I was a bit worried it wouldn't be for me. Sure as a kid I enjoyed the 2008 TMNT reboot and I had a few toys of the turtles but I was never as big of a Turtles fan so a few of the characters in the game were brand new to me. That being said, the game doesn't dwell on it by making any weird references and just lets these cool characters be cool. Literally everyone in this game oozes "cool" and they don't alienate new players by being obscure or anything like that. The game itself is exactly what you expect from a beat 'em up but it does what it wants to REALLY well. It has superb attention to detail in stages, with some great animation that make the world feel lively, like when one of the enemies is working at a taco joint or driving a car in an attempt to run you over. It's fun to just watch the world unfold and do what it wants in an attempt to impress you. The stages themselves all take place in pretty varied locations and none of them fall into a hole of being forgettable or bland. The enemy design is either really good or sometimes pretty annoying. A few annoying enemies (especially the small robots you have to flip over) appear more often then I'd like and a few enemies overstay their welcome even if they aren't particularly annoying. The 6 characters all feel varied but it is annoying that on a singleplayer playthrough levels don't transfer between characters. As much as I enjoy playing Michelangelo, it does suck getting him to level 6 or 7 and then going back to a level 1 or 2 character.

Despite it's superb animation, attention to detail and it's fun gameplay that is varied enough thanks to good level design and character design, Shredder's Revenge doesn't have too much depth and there are a lot of nagging issues I have with the game that all add up to it feeling like it needs a few more months in the cooker. It's very fun and one I'll be coming back to later with friends, but it doesn't feel like the pinnacle of a genre which has some heavy hitters.

Original Post

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Slowing up a little for July, as I've been working on Ghost of Tsushima. Still, hitting 52 in August is looking likely!

header.jpg

45. Chex Quest HD (Switch) | 1 July 2022 | 6/10
Completed with all secrets discovered. The original Chex Quest was a promotional DOOM conversion, a novel approach at the time, and here we have a modern Unreal Engine remake. While short and with only quite basic gameplay, especially in a modern context, there's still some enjoyment to be gained from a playthrough and clearly there will be some nostalgic charm for those who played the original. It's worth noting that the Switch version isn't a particularly great port, with frequent frame rate drops and a fairly 'janky' feeling overall.

header.jpg

46. Dungeons of Dreadrock (PC - Steam) | 4 July 2022 | 8/10
Complete playthrough. Although originally a mobile game, that shouldn't be taken as a negative for this enjoyable puzzle dungeon-crawler. Set across 100 levels of gradually increasing difficulty, Dungeons of Dreadrock has consistently high production values and a great sense of humour, allied with all-important satisfying puzzle-solving. Each level takes place in a single-screen 2D top-down grid-based "dungeon", with the core aim being to reach the stairs to the next level - but with a wide variety of level-specific challenges to achieve that, from switch-based puzzles and cleverly planned movement patterns to more straightforward combat, which prove effective at maintaining the player's interest. A handful of the puzzles do become a little too obtuse, but fortunately a built-in hint system prevents these becoming a frustrating progress-blocker.

Alongside its inexpensive price, this all serves to make Dungeons of Dreadrock an enjoyable way to spend a handful of hours, very enjoyable behind its humble-seeming appearance.

header.jpg

47. Cats in Time (PC - Steam) | 14 July 2022 | 6/10
Completed with 100% of achievements unlocked. An enjoyable 'time-waster', Cats in Time is a hidden object game, challenging players to locate the cats hidden in a series of 3D dioramas through some simple puzzle-solving and object manipulation. With cute, bright visuals and some intricate environmental design, the game is immediately engaging, and with a series of 28 primary levels across 7 varied environment types, each taking no more ten minutes or so to complete, it's easy to dip in and out of for short sessions. Of course, nothing here is particularly ground-breaking, but that's not why you'd come to a game like this.

header.jpg

48. Instant Farmer - Logic Puzzle (PC - Steam) | 24 July 2022 | 5/10
Completed with 100% of achievements unlocked. A sister game to Island Farmer, Instant Farmer retains the tile-switching gameplay but in this case each island challenges players to supply water to each tile. A handful of tiles will be direct water sources, irrigating those tiles directly adjacent (but not diagonally) and alongside those, a handful of distribution methods, the most basic being simple water channels but also including pipes and sprinklers.

The fairly small island size means that the puzzle difficulty remains reasonable, though at times some trial-and-error still feels necessary when you can't quite plan out whether you have enough distribution tiles to work out a particular plan. However, over a total of 50 islands, which will likely take around 1-3 hours to work through, the puzzle design starts to feel somewhat limited in scope due to the small number of tile types on offer. There's a fairly decent puzzle game here, but it's nothing outstanding - though the bright, colourful graphics help to lend it a degree of charm to maintain interest.

header.jpg

49. Flynn: Son of Crimson (Xbox One - Game Pass) | 30 July 2022 | 7/10
100% in-game completion, 100% of achievements unlocked. A 2D action-platformer, Flynn: Son of Crimson doesn't do anything all that special, but it's very solid all-round, very enjoyable to play, with strong level design, nicely detailed 2D pixelart and a varied, catchy musical score. A decently-sized skill tree offers a meaningful sense of progression, though much of the variety of the game's combo system can readily be ignored without much impact on your ability to progress through the game. A basic magic system and choice of three weapons again serves to bring some variety to the combat, while making some allusions towards 'Metroidvania' style gameplay but never really committing to it.

Memory Pak

Aug 29, 2018
TXSJvMy.png

22. Mario Power Tennis (2004, GC) ★★☆☆☆
Fine but unspectacular arcade tennis game. There's a decent amount of gimmicks around, but not quite enough - you'll see the same stage hazards and super moves over and over again. Power Tennis mostly coasts on its presentation, with Camelot's best intro cinematic to date, and elements from contemporary games like Luigi's Mansion and Mario Sunshine prominently featured. But it's a bit too easy to find a good angle against opponents and exploit it over and over again, which reduces match variety despite its sizable roster. Last weird nitpick: why can't you pause during gameplay? I understand it's disruptive in multiplayer, but why not have the option in single player?

ZoKwidV.png

23. Super Mario Strikers a.k.a. Mario Smash Football (2005, GC) ★★★☆☆
The last of the four Mario Sports titles to hit GameCube feels less of a part with its golf, tennis, and baseball brethren. Strikers tries to push its style hard: from its angular key art to the novelty of kitting the familiar characters in sports attire, while elsewhere Mario still played third baseman in his overalls. Unfortunately a muted colour palette and generic soundtrack prevent the game from truly popping off the screen.
Then-up-and-coming studio Next Level Games used their NHL Hitz Pro experience to craft Mario's first outing on the pitch, and delivered a fast, chaotic, and uncharacteristically violent affair. It's not just the violence that's amped up here though: there's a weird, off-putting undercurrent of horniness to how it presents Princesses Daisy and Peach (not to mention Waluigi's infamous crotch chop). It's admirable how they inject more personality into the characters, but those two, along with the terrible new robot character feel like costly own goals.
Past its unique presentation you'll find a robust, if slightly anaemic game. There's a real dearth of modes here, and even the on-pitch chaos is lacking in variety (Bowser and some Mario Kart items are the only things keeping this from straight-up becoming FIFA Street). Luckily the core gameplay is solid and balanced enough, which, when coupled with gleefully pushing opponents into electrified fencing, remains entertaining throughout.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
50: Kaze and the Wild Masks. End: 8/6/2022. (3 out of 5)

A small, but challenging little 2D platformer that doesn't really bring anything new to the genre. It's a pretty short game, all things considered. Nothing that someone couldn't handle in an afternoon.

Deleted member 32615

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
3efc2b283a98a6dabfa8443fcc052bac.jpg

Game 13: The Last Of Us Part II (PS5) (17 Hours, 24 Minute) (5/5) (August 8th, 2022)
I really don't understand how this game is so hated. After two years of trying to avoid spoilers and taking my time NOT playing this game I finally got around to finishing the Last of Us 2 today and wow. Holy shit. It's very rare a game can look visually amazing, play brilliantly and have an engaging and brilliant story but The Last of Us just nails it. The gameplay of TLOU2 is on another level, with so many cool ways of killing people, stealth missions and open-ended engaging combat sequences. Levels will contain like 20 different hidden paths and it'll make each encounter replay-able and interesting even after dying multiple times. The game on a technical level is polished to a T, there is no game that looks this good while doing so many unique things like being in different areas of America, taking place at different time of day and even dealing with different weather issues. Throughout it all TLOU2 shines through and looks brilliant. Parlay that with the animation and wow, this is just a beautiful and real looking world. And what a brilliant story. My goodness

Original Post

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #54 - Assasult Android Cactus +
Time: 3 hours
Platform: Switch
Rating: ★★

Promissing dual stick shooter that ends up being way too simple and short for it's own good. It looks and runs great, and the gameplay is fun for awhile, but with just one main attack and a alt fire to use, and each level consisting of small arenas, it gets super repetitive. theres multiple characters to use but I'd rather it was just one chaaracter with multiple weapons, and if you just stick with the campaign, you get through it in 2 or 3 hours easily. For those that are into scores and leaderboards there might be more to it, but for me it was a big let down.

header.jpg

Game #55 - Alwa's Legacy
Time: 7 hours
Rating: ★★★★

One of the best sequels I remember playing, Legacy improves on pretty muchh everything Alwa's Awakening did, and is in it's own right a very solid metroidvania that I would easily recommend any fan of the genre to play (unlike the first one). The switch to 16bit style graphics is very welcome, especially when it's executed so well, the gameplay feels much better and much less "stiff", the abilities and upgrade system is better and the world is bigger with much more interesting characters. Tons of secrets to find and even side quests to do, just a very solid package all around, I really liked it.

Main Post

Last edited:

Whimsicalish

Dec 30, 2019
Midwest
41 | The Adventure Pals
Steam Deck | August 01 | 10.5 h | 4/5
EZmcTHw.jpg

Random game I tried on the Steam Deck and I was pleasantly surprised. The Adventure Pals is a silly humored action platformer with charming graphics and art style.

The controls are tight, responsive. It handled nicely on the Deck and I didn't notice any issues. You can play it in short sessions. There are 5 large, unique zones to explore; each with their own creative levels, goofy NCPs, enemies, and collectibles. I'm not one to play many action platformers with combat. The difficulty felt just right. Nothing too easy or overly frustrating.

Only negatives I found were fairly minor/personal. When you are in an area with many enemies, it was difficult to see what exactly was going on. Sometimes I was hit so fast, I was dead immediately because I couldn't tell what to avoid. Couple times, I was stun locked to death. One world is based underwater. As video game rules state, the underwater zone is the worst. Bummer that it's true here. It has slower momentum than the rest of the game. Otherwise, a really fun experience! Thanks to Humble for that one.

42 | Stray
PS5 | August 03 | 8 h | 5/5
b6ns44O.jpg

You play a cat. Need I say more?

First off, the studio did a fantastic job capturing a cat's movement and body language. From the constant turning of the ears, the tail flicking down and up, the back arch when threatened, etc. The cat felt realistic. They were a precious baby and I wanted to protect them.

The world felt dangerous and full of curiosities throughout the journey. It is a short experience, one trophy is to finish the game under two hours. But there's much to explore in the open areas. Those were my favorite. If they ever make another cat game with a huge zone like that to explore, I'd be all over it. Backstory and characters are scattered across the city. Plus the attention to detail: on the buildings, how the city functioned, all the clutter. It's enjoyable to explore.

I can picture myself replaying this one in the future. I loved it.

43 | Kill It With Fire
Steam Deck/PC | August 04 | 12 h | 3/5
7hD5rFt.jpg

Initially I played on the Steam Deck. Unfortunately, it would absolutely destroy the battery. The fan was loud trying to keep up. It's not a graphically rough game. It's fairly cartoonish to match the silly tone of the gameplay. I was only able to play for 35 minutes until I received a warning that the system was dying. I switched to PC after three sessions.

The entire premise of the game is to kill spiders. There are different levels with their own locations, power ups, collectibles, and objectives. The more challenges you beat, the more silly devices you earn to hunt spiders. Molotovs, lasers, guns, and C4 explosives are only a few of the many tools you can find. It's a great time waster to sit back and turn off your brain. There's plenty of content to enjoy.

There are certain menus that could be explained or shown better. I struggled to figure out how I was missing collectibles when the level said I was 100% until the internet helped.

44 | Spirit of the North: Enhanced Edition
PS5 | August 08 | 10 h | 2.5/5
EAxPcro.jpg

I was excited to try this once I saw it on PS+. It's a puzzle, adventure game with platforming. Quickly the game felt similar to Journey. No dialogue, only hints of the story are told on stone as you're traversing through a fallen civilization. Sadly, it didn't move me like Journey.

You play an adorable fox as they explore the vast world. The environments are pretty but empty. You would feel utterly alone if it wasn't for the wisp friend, that occasionally does point you to the way forward or toward collectibles. The sound track is beautiful, an orchestra to lighten the mood. The puzzle gameplay helped the game stand apart from Journey or Lost Ember (another game you play as a fox with a wisp companion).

With regret, that's all the positives I have for it. Very quickly I found the jump action isn't responsive as a platformer should play. The jump is awkward and while moving between ledges, frustrating. There are linear and open chapters. Some of these chapters are WIDE open areas with nothing in them. Often I wandered around and felt like I wasted time.

The collectibles can be well hidden.That's not a negative in itself but the game does teach you to be vigilant. In one chapter, I was able to jump into a hole in the wall, thinking it was a secret. I went through it without an issue and down a hill. Only for the chapter to end. I thought it was odd considering how short that chapter finished. I checked the menu and saw I missed a bunch of collectibles in that chapter. I went back in, found the correct way and I cannot believe how I missed nearly the entire chapter! I missed many puzzles, collectibles, and story stones. If I did not go back to look for those collectibles on the main menu, I would have never found out I missed all that content in that chapter. I am stunned that you can completely bypass a chapter in this game. How has this not been caught and fixed? I had no issue getting into that hole in wall. It looked like a secret!

The biggest issue in this game, not counting you can completely skip a chapter, is the abstract story. There is very little information about what you're doing and why. Other than your blue wisp friend is "good" and the red pulse tar is "bad." You have to solve puzzles and erase the red tar to advance. There's no pleasure from solving it. Only to move on. Maybe if the tar was shown further how it was affecting the life and environment? Like it was suffocating the area. (I don't even know if that's what was happening.) Similar to Okami (there is a reward skin for Amaterasu in this game) if you healed the land, flowers and animals would show up. I'm not asking they should directly copy another game. But show me there is a purpose to what I am doing. Nothing happens other than a wall will be removed from your path....great.

The second biggest issue in this game is the complete void of life. Again, is that because of this tar? I honestly have no clue. You can explore this beautiful wilderness. Sun is out, trees and plant life. But nothing else. Not even insect noises, or low poly birds in the sky to show any sign of life. It's empty. It doesn't feel alive. No reason to explore (unless you're hunting the collectibles...which are corpses lol). It feels unfinished. Why am I "saving?" this world if there is NOTHING HERE?

The end is frustrating to say the least. The largest, most unnecessary zone. It's a forest where everything looks the same. You will get lost. You also have to re-collect your collectibles, only now they move in this absurdly large area. You have no map, because why would you. It could have been so much better. But no. Your reward for everything is the quietest, most devoid of life forest I think I have ever seen in a video game. This could have been a fun game but there's no direction.

Main Post

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #56 - Arietta of Spirits
Time: 4 hours
Rating: ★★★★

Well this was pleasant, gorgeous 2d action adventure, like Zelda-lite (very lite in fact), with a surprisingly good and touching story and decent gameplay. It's only issue really is it's short length, as you can easily finish it in 3 to 4 hours (too me 4 and that was doing all the fetch stuff), whhich is a shame because unlie some other short games that often "feel just right" or even overstay their welcome, this one feels like it could have used a bit more game in there. Still, I really like it, and it's a easy recomendation especially given how short it is, another case where if I gave half stars, I'd probably give this 3.5, but I don't, and I feel a 3 is too harsh given how much I liked it compared to some of my other 3/5 games, so it can have a generous 4.

header.jpg

Game #57 - Tails of Iron
Time: 9 hours
Rating: ★★★★★

HHave been wanting to play this for awhile now and thankfully I was not disappointed in the slightest. This 2d "soulslike" does pretty much everything I want from one of these, huge areas to explore, tons of weapons and armor to collect, really good gameplay with a block/parry/dodge system and very "meaty" combat (with one hand, two hand and ranged weapons to use at all times), challenging gameplay (but not up there with the hardest games for those worried) and some of the best 2d visuals you'll find, it really is the whole package in my opinion, and not even little nitpicks like the fact that the resistances on armor system being basically useless takes anything away from the game. The free post game update they included is pretty neat also, adding 5 new bosses to the game.

Main Post

Last edited:

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
51: The Quarry. End: 8/12/2022. (3.5 out of 5)

Taking inspiration from teen slasher and horror films from the 1980s comes The Quarry. It captures that vibe very well, but the game itself is held back by some serious technical issues. (I fired at the monster, game, what do you mean I missed?!)

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
31) Road 96 XSX(All Achievements) 8/3-8/6

One of the XBOX Game Pass games that came out last month was Road 96, had heard so much buzz & chatter in regards to this so while I spent last month on As Dusk Falls(The other big drop of the subscription), some other gamers really raved about the dialogue & content of Road 96 so naturally.......this was going to be on my radar. Think of this as a Telltale/Life is Strange style of narrative BUT with a roguelike feature. Crazy concept on paper but it really works! Each path, each story you do is going to be different from what another player embarks on. This leads to finding or chatting with characters in a completely different order and offers a very fresh perspective when playing Road 96.

The story is very politically driven so this may not be for everybody as this game basically emulates a fictional word that is taken over/ruled by dictatorship and you have the people for and against this type of government. Your a unknown teenager trying to "cross the border" and trying to escape prisonment and trying to make a better life in the name of freedom. Along the way, you have different means to navigate around when trying to reach "Road 96" AKA the border between freedom and difficulty. You can hitchhike, can walk the long road, can hop on a taxi or bus, as long as you find a way to your ultimate destination, that's all that matters. This game has an HP system that will make you think or scavenge around for resources as you lose health based off what form of transportation you take. Losing your health means game over and you begin with anew with a new kid, hence the roguelike features of this game.

What makes this game for me are the cast of characters that you meet along the way. During your traveling adventures, each stop you meet a character(7 major ones) and have fresh dialogue with them as you learn more about them and if they are here to hurt or help your break for freedom & a new life. These vary from a fellow hitchhiker to a hacker to a police woman to a bloodlusted killer to a news anchor to a pair of bandits to a van driver with secrets, each end up bringing something different to the table. Each character has a chart and you are meant to get 100% and fully exhaust all dialogue from them but due to the originality of each run, you are going to encounter these characters in different order & in different ways. I already saw 1 event happen that I didn't even get in my couple hours of Road 96.

The music is great, gives the vibe of a road trip & quest of survival on the harsh road. I happen to stumble upon one artist I liked's work on Spotify and had no idea their work was in this game so when playing this game, I instantly jammed and knew the tunes that were featured. Little bit of country or folk tune but one of my jams is synthwave which this game has a fair amount of. Most definitely a positive of this game is the OST.

I didn't get 100% on everyone's stories(I got a lot in for most characters) but I did get all 12 achievements on XBOX so I will take this. Very good game, was really gripped often throughout the ride. Much of what I said above sticks although I didn't like the ending or outcome I got because it made zero sense. Why would one character just get so irrationally that they would shoot the other one and then begin to grief after their death(Not going to go full details for spoilers)? I'm like WHAT? I think I got the bad ending because another character that I saved also goes to their death too. Sort of felt way too much all at once. I get what they are going here, the border patrol is inhumane and how the refugees are treated like animals is meant to symbolize the border war that is going on in the US. It is meant to really pull your strings but it was just nonsensical how they did the ending for me. I imagine there is a better ending if you care to do it but it was a solid game that ended on a sour note and ruined what could have been amazing. Game ran me a good 7 or so hours, nothing too long. Glad it was on XBOX Game pass though.

32) Boyfriend Dungeon(XSX) 8/6-8/7

Yes I played a game whose premise is that you are dating your weapons that are actually people/spirits inside. I shit you not. I was skeptical and downright pessimistic as to how I would dig this game. Not because of the dungeon crawling aspect and hell not so much the dating sim part of this game. But the premise of dating your weapons is so hokey and ridiculous that despite being on the XBOX Game Pass, I wasn't exact enamored to jump in.

What got me to take the plunge however was that this game that came out around this time last year.........was leaving Game Pass by mid August so given it isn't a very long game, I said why not? So a portion of my weekend had me engaging with weapons and the like. How did it go?

Pretty good. Boyfriend Dungeon is admittedly, much better than what I expected. The dungeon crawling/gameplay aspect of the game does feel like a super watered down version of Hades, which I loved the shit out of last year when playing it. It is nowhere near as deep of a combat system that Hades has nor does it have the roguelike tendencies that Hades has outside of randomized dungeons. You aren't severely punished for poor play since this game is very generous with checkpoints with elevators that are sequenced around a dungeon or 'Dunj' which is hipster terminology for dungeon. The gameplay itself is very Hades like with you rolling and shooting or whacking around enemies as you progress through floors. You encounter different sorts of enemies(A good 10 or so different enemies throughout the game) but also can pick up health, or magic refills or stumble upon loot or areas that allow you to chat and build relation with your weapon companions. It isn't anything that changes the genre but it isn't an Achilles heel either. As you level up and get stronger, the dungeons get easier and you can take more of a hit. You will be overwhelmed early in this game but at the same time, you are expected to end up tasting defeat as the intent of the game is to teach you about the dating sim mechanic that helps to better your chances of survival in the dungeon crawling aspect of the game. There are 7 different weapons/characters to battle with. One is a sycthe that is long range, another is a javelin/glave like weapon that you can throw, another are cat claw knuckles that are small range but dastardly fast, one is a blood sword that inflicts blood damage, one is a estoc/parry sword that well parries and is fast, one is a lightsaber with lightning abilities, and one is a quick dagger that allows you roll and cause confusion to nearby enemies. Pretty fair amount of variety in this regard, you will owe it to yourself to test each one out and see what is your type of gamestyle.

Now going to the bread and butter of this game, the dating sim element. This is 60/40 in favor of this vs say the gameplay so you will be reading quite a bit in this game admittedly. For me, this is of course no big deal but for others, this will make or break your experience with Boyfriend Dungeon. As you would expect, you have 7 different options as far as weapons go. Each one has a love link that you will want to get further into because improving each rank, you earn exclusive abilities that increase your weapon. Some ranks give you an option of _____ or _____ which can be changed at any time, offering different methods towards defeating your foes. The actual dialogue and content of the dating sims, was hit and miss for me. They do not go on very long and don't have too much actual voice acting so they can be skimmed through pretty quickly but honestly, this game's connection to the gamer will depend on 1-2 things. First, your overall experience dating in real life matters a bit as this game does go through some dating cliques and characters that sort of fall into set categories. The casual date, the inexperienced date, the introvert date etc. Secondly, this game does cater a bit more toward either gay/bisexual or woman players because.....................5 of the 7 weapon/characters are men. The other two has one female and one cat(Which you can only be buddies with.........thankfully). This was a major gripe for me as I don't get why there weren't more female options to meet with personally speaking. I ultimately 100% everything character wise so it isn't a big deal to me but for people who are looking for female companionship, this was a fair miss honestly. I think if you are cool with it, it isn't completely off putting but there is a ton of dialogue that is catered to having your character as either a female or gay/bisexual character and that won't be for everyone admittedly. It's cool given there aren't many games that are for this target audience and it isn't a deal breaker, but I still think this could have been spread a little bit more evenly too. There is a free DLC that is coming out that is suppose to introduce a new female weapon/character so the far cries will be answered a bit but this should have been something better tackled from the get go. This game isn't too graphic from a sexual perspective so don't fear too much but this game does give warning about stalking and potential uncomfortable dialogue so there is that. There was a mini-controversy that one character was so offputting that players would harassment the voice actor of the character because of it, which is ridiculous in it's own right but alas. I can't say I grew fond or bonded immensely with anyone character and I viewed all the characters fairly equally which can be seen as both good & bad.

Another gripe I would have with the game is the lack of dungeons. Game length is a good 7-8 hours which is fine but only two major dungeons isn't fine. I found myself replaying the same 2 areas and bumrushing through them to 100% everyone's rank/dialogue which admittedly got boring. This game could have done with 1 or 2 more areas personally and again the DLC that is coming out is adding a free dungeon which would have been more appreciated it added at launch. It's not a high budget game in fairness so I don't know the financial restraints that existed for Boyfriend Dungeon(It was a kickstarted game) but you will find the game's lack of content to be somewhat lacking when your mowing down the same group of enemies each time. In addition, a very curious move by the game developers part is locking the final boss behind a wall that you have to max out a weapon before even getting to attempt the boss. In fairness, the boss swings hard and can overwhelm you on low level but to force the gamer to have to max out a weapon when they could have been evenly putting time & experience to all 7 weapons is offputting and seems more of a move to pad the length of the game for sake of. Ultimately, I had to burn 1-2 hours to get my weapons to the max and engage in dialogue to even finish the game so there's that. Not that I had a major issue with it since I wanted to get everything the game could offer in content regard but that could be frustrating for some who just want to finish the game and aren't just focusing everything on one character.

I still feel like for what this game tries to be, Boyfriend Dungeon is pretty good. While it isn't something that will stick with me for the long haul, I felt pretty inclined to finish this game within 2 days which says more to the game's somewhat addictiveness more than anything else. Few blemishes does not ruin what was a good experience at the end of the day and it was something that I was glad I could overcome the weird premise and completely take my critical lens off and take the game for what it is: A goofy, grand ol' fun summer of fun. I think the mindset when playing this game is to just not expect something amazing gameplay wise and to just be entertained by the sheer ridiculousness of it. All the while, the game isn't unplayable and is pretty fun even if watered down as far as a dungeon crawling action game goes.

33) What Remains of Edith Finch(XSX) 8/10

What Remains of Edith Finch was always a game or should I say experience that I wanted to play but I just pushed aside due to the "Walking Simulator" stigma that it carried and that at the time of release, I didn't really quite get what these type of games were all about. Fast forward to a 2022 update to both PS5 and XBOX Series X versions of the game and given the relative shortness of the game(Will get to that in a second), and this was definitely a game that I wanted to chop off my backlog. I went with the XBOX Series version over PS4/PS5 due to Game Pass and since it got the enhanced version/treatments vs the PS Plus version I got of this game years ago that isn't being as kind to it's purchasers.

Without spoiling too much, the game is basically a trip back into your family tree as you uncover a hidden family secret that was hidden to you by your mother as you learn about each of your preexisting ancestor and what they meant to both society and to the family. Each family member has a different sort of theme that you play as you unravel the family house that has been around over the years. Some of it is very clever and fun to experience and while the game never goes beyond simple follow the narrative/words to finish, there's a lot of creativity involved as you play/experience each family members memorabilia. In that sense, the game feels sort of like a game demo full of ideas and concepts that are done well. This ranges from a bathtub minigame to a 60's comic book read that has Halloween & Tales from the Crypt inspirations to a kite minigame. Nothing challenging or anything of that nature and to the game's credit, this game makes it extremely easy to not get lost.

Ultimately, I feel like this game is at best a Game Pass or PS Plus game as the game's length(Game ran me under 2 hours) sort of holds the game back from being a "worth it" purchase. The game comes and goes very fast and there really isn't much to discuss without giving away the plot but admittedly, this game does tag on your feelings by the end and this game does get pretty dark in certain points as the theme of death does end up mattering quite a bit throughout your playthrough of What Remains of Edith Finch. Nothing traumatizing but I was pretty gutted by the very end of the game with the reveal. Just an overall solid game and one I was glad I finally played.

Last edited:

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
33 - As Dusk Falls - SteamDeck - 8 hours / 12th August - 7/10
It was better than I expected. So many twists and ways for the story to unfold, it reminded me of the first Life Is Strange in that way. The problem is that the characters are not that fun. The dad "main" character is so boring, it's unbelievable.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
34 - Graveyard Keeper - PS5 - 100 hours / 12th August - 7/10
When I started, I thought this was a Stardew Valley killer. There were so many different quests and things to do, i was in heaven. Unfortunately, it turns into the biggest grind fest I've ever experienced by mid-game. It starts to require so much work and different type of resources and money to advance any stories, you'll spend hours grinding with very little to show for it. It's a shame, a little bit more tweaking and it could have been perfect.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
53. Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (11/8/22) ★★★★

2022081023350200-a86244ehi.jpg

It'd be fun to say after hitting game 52, I took a break from the games for a couple of weeks, but that'd be a complete lie.
Instead I spent two weeks trapped in the clutches of XB3.
Initially upon reveal I can't say I was really feeling it (Shulk-ism intended), I felt a bit burned out on the switch constantly rolling out these JRPGs as tentpoles, and with the definitive edition of XB1 not long ago, alongside my replay of 2, XB3 was gonna have to do a fair bit to win me over from some franchise fatigue.

Monolith certainly don't lack ambition, the amount that's crammed into this title is kinda insane, you can feel elements from the entire series thus far (including strange side sequel Chronicles X) merging to form XB3, not only is it slamming the worlds of 1 and 2 together, it's even slamming parts of the battle systems for both games together. It's an initially unwieldy chimera of content and systems, I'm actually impressed by how understandable it all ends up being.

Still I'm gonna have to address the main issue I have with this game.
The battle system is an over egged bloating of drawn out encounters where I could often go and take a leak and let the 6 other party members do their stuff in most cases. This game's variant of the series chain attack system is a fun concept, that is unfortunately filled with unreasonably long attack animations, I've never browsed era while "playing" a game so much in my time. A mammoth seven party member real time battle system has clearly come with consequences, damage per character is obviously scaled back, including the extra damage effects for good positioning, thus as the player I could often feel like I just wasn't affecting combat too much.
7 characters blaring their attack cries, trying to work out where you are in the ruckus, which enemy you're even looking at between all the aggro lines and overlapping fields on the ground denoting bonuses for being within them, and I haven't even got to Ouroboros, fusion arts and the class system, good gravy!

For some I'm sure this will light up their primal receptors of seeing high damage numbers and formulating a party with a wide array of skills to break the enemies apart, I meanwhile just would appreciate something infinitely snappier. Still I'm not gonna spend more text on the battle system here, you can probably tell that I'm not too hot on it and that holds the game back from greatness for me.

Elsewhere, this is more of that Xenoblade world trotting adventure, where discovery lurks around all corners, where the world design sucks you in. Monolith remains being some of the absolute GOAT world designers, between this series and putting in work on Zelda, they just get it, completely. They know how to create stunning vistas, how to draw your eye, how to make you feel like you've stumbled across something secret. Though in some respects the environments are a touch familiar thanks to the game world being an amalgamation of the previous two numbered titles, it lacks a bit of that extra WOW factor as a result, yet it's hard to be too bothered as you stare across the top of Ribi Flats, the desert and canyon biomes visible across the land while the fallen hand from XB1 looms over them, and knowing you can traverse a ton of what you can see, It's not quite a full open world like X, but it's the closest since.

2022081517261300-a862c1ev1.jpg

Story is of course a big part of the Xeno games, I'm only gonna touch the surface level here.
The cast are incredibly well rounded and all receive a good amount of development, though I feel the lead is a touch "Shulk 2.0". The overall story is full of the twists and turns you'd expect, it doesn't always land with its ideas, but oh lordy when it does, I'm just gonna say there's a point where you go through nearly two hours of pure plot and it had me engrossed the entire time, a segment that I expect well be held up as JRPG legend over time.
Side quests (specifically ones relating to hero characters) are among the best in the franchise, offering a lot of world and character building moments alongside tangible gameplay benefits upon completion, truly the perfect storm, we're a long way from XB1 now.
The scope of these is so much so that it's kinda amazing that they'd leave a lot of it as optional content, in some respects better than what the main story ends up leading to which did feel a bit too much "I've seen this all before".

Always love me a Xenoblade british dub, and they went all out this time, more accents, more distinctly english phrases, the sass queen Eunie being a true breakout star.
It's a bit baffling how few post battle quips there are when the game has so much dialogue, considering you have the full cast very early on, expect to be beaten over the head by "The Girl with the Gall" or is it Gaul? we've all heard Sena say it a bazillion times and still no one is entirely sure.
Music continues the series tradition of banger central XB OSTs, though initially it's a lot more muted than the bombast of 2, it's a slower burn, it's more of a vibe, it's definitely a "listen outside the game and appreciate all the more" OST.

Really the main takeaway here is that this is indeed another XB game, it does a lot of what it did before and does most of it up to the series standard, while exorcising a mammoth amount of 2's dubious qualities that held it back from its potential (be it XB2's gameplay stuff like those damn field skills or its character design being straight embarrassing), this game you could actually play with people walking into the room and not causing immediate shame to befall you, for that alone this sequel will be worth it for a lot on era!
The formula is beginning to wear a bit, we're 4.5 games deep now with 2 re-releases of the original within 13 years or so. XB3 seems like a strong way to bow out for the time being, any further and we'll be on full diminishing returns territory for me.
...but I'll still make time for that DLC campaign when it arrives.

Last edited:

el_galvon

Jun 13, 2019
35. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge (PC) | Jun/18 - 3hrs | ★★★★☆
46. WipEout 2048 (PS Vita) | Aug/10 - 15hrs | ★★★1/2
47. Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled (PS4) | Aug/12 - 10hrs | ★★★★
48. Shovel Knight (PS Vita) | Aug/15 - 4hrs | ★★★★★

TyqX0ZZ.gif

It's been a while since I dropped this game in the final third part of the Single Player campaign and now that I decided to finish it I remembered why: the difficulty curve. Nothing unusual for the series, the problem with this version is the long loading times and the unstable performance. As the 2048 content is also included in the Omega Collection, I wonder if on PS4 these issues are minimized.​

aMYTy3M.gif

I've never played the original CTR, but this version is a great kart game. Lots of content, well-crafted tracks, fun gameplay and a high but fair challenge (at least in Normal). I don't think it reaches the level of excellence of Mario Kart 8 and Sonic ASRT, but it's probably the best option of the genre for PS4. Something to criticize is the added post-launch microtransactions, the game could be more generous in the rewards to minimize the grind for extra characters and cosmetics.​

HtZ7itb.gif

I finally got the "Hurry Up!" trophy. I even finished a second time on NG+ to complete the trophy list. One of the best 2D action/platformer games ever made. I can't wait for the next game from Yacht Club Games.​

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Main Post

header.jpg

26. Mighty Goose
As someone that doesn't have any nostalgia or attachment to the Metal Slug series, this was actually pretty fun. It's fairly mindless shooting but it's pretty and things explode and the goose makes funny noises. I had a hellish week last week so this was basically the perfect way to unwind.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Jn44zJH.png

14. Nightmare of Decay - 7/10

Indie game that heavily draws inspiration from the early Resident Evil games. Short and sweet.

LRKRJW3.png

15. As Dusk Falls - 8/10

Really enjoyed this one. The plot is interesting to follow and well paced and the game does a good job of making choices matter. Or at least making you believe that choices matter. The choice of the art and animation style was controversial but I think it worked really well. Only the last chapter was a bit of a letdown and the cliffhanger felt unnecessary.

1. The Forgotten City (XSX) | 3rd Jan - 8 hrs | 8
2. Psychonauts 2 (XSX) | 8th Jan - 15 hrs | 7
3. The Gunk (XSX) | 9th Jan - 5 hrs | 6
4. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (XSX) | 13th Jan - 8 hrs | 8
5. Expeditions: Rome (PC) | 29th Jan - 70 hrs | 8
6. Dying Light 2 (PC) | 17th Feb - 60 hrs | 8
7. Death's Door (XSX) | 30th Mar - 10 hrs | 7
8. Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade (PS5) | 10th April - 30 hrs | 3
9. Immortals Fenyx Rising (PS5) | 27th April - 40 hrs | 6
10. Ghost of Tsushima (PS5) | 4th May - 50 hrs | 6
11. Chinatown Detective Agency (PC) | 1st June - 10 hrs | 5
12. Lost in Random (XSX) | 18th June - 20 hrs | 9
13. Until Dawn (PS5) | 13th July - 8 hrs | 8
14. Nightmare of Decay (PC) | 15th Aug - 3 hrs | 7
15. As Dusk Falls (XSX) | 19th Aug - 6 hrs | 8

Last edited:

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
35 - The Quarry - PS5 - 10 hours / 15th August - 10/10
I loved Until Dawn and The Quarry is even better as far as I'm concerned. Great set of characters, fun QTEs that are not frustrating, lots of choices and consequences that transform the story.

Memory Pak

Aug 29, 2018
Jm31QbL.png

24. Yurukill: The Calumniation Games (2022, Switch) ★★☆☆☆
This is what happens when your preferred genre (in this case, bullet hell shooters) becomes endangered in the mid- and high-budget space -- you get suckered into buying odd genre mash ups in hopes of finding a mere morsel of shmuppery. In this case the kernels of space shooting are found buried beneath 8 hours of tropey "death game anime" visual novel sections (think Danganronpa), and simplistic escape room puzzles.
Do the genres blend? Only barely, if you squint. You move through a Yu-Gi-Oh! Season Zero style theme park where wrongly accused prisoners must re-enact their supposed crimes to the victims, who in turn may decide to pardon or kill the prisoner. These crucial decisions are decided upon in a virtual reality world portrayed as a space shooter (obviously).
The episodic nature and easy puzzles are something of an inadvertent boon here; none of the characters or stories are interesting enough to spend a lot of time with, so cycling through them at a rapid, predictable clip works in the game's favour. You'll still need to suffer through some unfunny comedic relief however, not to mention multiple skeevy implied relationships. There's an obsessed, stereotypical otaku fawning over his J-pop idol (who is meant to be 29 but dresses like a teen girl), and some implied, possibly romantic interest between a 31 year old and a 17 year old.
More broadly, Yurukill never really delivers on the menace of its premise, which I suppose is a fine summary for the whole game. That said, it is entertaining, albeit in a shallow, sloppy chum bucket kind of way. Sometimes you just want empty calories.

CwjDCJ1.png

25. Strania: The Stella Machina (2009/2011, X360) ★★☆☆☆
Mecha themed vertical shooter from G.Rev, who (guess what), also worked on Yurukill. Closest modern analogue to this might be Astebreed. It's not quite style over substance as that one, but it gets close at times, with swooping cameras and big explosions obscuring your position. It's got a similar weapon system to Einhänder, where you dual-wield weapons and can mix and match. Bosses and levels become much easier with certain combinations. I like this in theory, but in some tight spaces it's too easy to accidentally lose your upgraded missiles for a useless third sword.
For a game heavy on memorisation they pull some nasty tricks: not all static pick-ups always contain the same weapons, and some attack animations of the final boss are so long they can trap you into 2 or even 3 hits. He's already a real bastard (who can kill you in what looks like a final cut-scene!), and while the game gradually doles out more continues, what you really need is a few more hitpoints. In the end I just brute forced him with dual rockets for maximum damage output rather than skillful dodging, which felt more like unearned relief than accomplishment.

Game #54 - Assasult Android Cactus +
Time: 3 hours
Rating: ★★

Promissing dual stick shooter that ends up being way too simple and short for it's own good. It looks and runs great, and the gameplay is fun for awhile, but with just one main attack and a alt fire to use, and each level consisting of small arenas, it gets super repetitive. theres multiple characters to use but I'd rather it was just one chaaracter with multiple weapons, and if you just stick with the campaign, you get through it in 2 or 3 hours easily. For those that are into scores and leaderboards there might be more to it, but for me it was a big let down.

Bummer, I remember liking this one a lot. Reading your post, I wonder if I'd feel similar if I went back to it now. The final boss gave me a lot of trouble back in the day, I could only do it with the shotgun character (Holly?) in the end. It felt like some levels were really designed with certain androids in mind. Letting you switch or pick weapons like you say would have mitigated that feeling.

Whimsicalish

Dec 30, 2019
Midwest
45 | Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
PS5 | August 14 | 12 h | 3/5
zvh8P8H.jpg

Somehow this is the only Ratchet and Clank game I have played. It wasn't a bad experience, but I felt like I missed a bit on story and characters.

The art style and graphics are well done. Sharp, bright colors, and silly character designs. The music and voice acting is another plus. The environments and levels were all unique. Fun to explore with the many different tools and weapons. The only slight negative here was sometimes everything was brightly lit neon. It looked cool but sometimes difficult to figure out where to go or what to hit. It was more confusing in the Glitch challenges. Not a big deal once you got your bearings.

Hands down, the combat was the most fun part for me. With a wide selection of goofy weapons, it was a riot to blast apart enemies. Plus the evade ability was fun and useful. After certain story missions force you to fight, you were stuck doing a back-and-forth puzzle. It completely killed the high momentum during the combat, like I ran into a brick wall. I generally enjoy puzzles to the point that I'll buy games solely focused on puzzle gameplay. But it killed the pacing here. I wished it was more of a side objective, rather than right behind combat.

The story was easy to follow for a player that's not familiar with the Ratchet & Clank world; but it would have more impact on someone that knows the characters better. I enjoyed spending more time as Rivet and Kit since they were new and more fleshed out. Certainly not a bad game and it was fairly quick to platinum.

Main Post

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
Yes!!
Yesterday I finished 2 more games arrived to number 51!!
wow!! I really am going to make the 52 games challenge this year!!
I think I am playing to much videogames this year!!

still creating courage tu post the list and impressions of all them!!

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I don't think I've compiled the games I've beaten this year anywhere. So time to change that!

1. Monster Hunter World
2. Pokémon Legends: Arceus
3. Toem
4. A Short Hike
5. Donut County
6. Elden Ring
7. Kirby's Adventure Wii
8. Wii Sports Resort
9. Kirby & the Amazing Mirror
10. Kirby Squeak Squad
11. Mario Golf
12. Yoshi's Story
13. Mario Tennis
14. Mario Party Superstars
15. Mario Tennis Aces
16. WarioWare: Get it Together!
17. Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
18. Splatoon 2
19. F-Zero
20. Horizon: Forbidden West
21. Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
22. Chicory: A Colorful Tale
23. Portal
24. Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
25. Xenoblade Chronicles: Future Connected

That's actually more than I thought. Monster Hunter, Pokemon, Elden Ring, and Horizon were monster games that'll drag the overall number down, and I'm on Xenoblade 3 now with more Pokémon on the way, so I won't get to 52, but I'm still happy with what I've done.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
54. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (17/8/22) ★★★

Way back when, I gave the PS2 version of PoP an honest try, it didn't stick though and my main memory of the game was slow mo vaulting over enemies repeatedly, which turned out to be quite right going by this outing to finish what younger me started.

Sands of Time is a rather fascinating game to me now, the DNA of Assassin's Creed is so visible in these humbler origins, from the combat to the movement, the ubi roots go back further than I expected.
This here is a game of two halves, one half is an enjoyable cinematic parkour platforming mixed with light puzzles, the other is rather miserable combat that overstays its welcome in hour 1 and fails to get much better from there.
Thus, I was torn, it took me a while to get through this game because knowing that booting it up meant slogging through another tedious twenty enemy long gauntlet filled me with dread, but the rest of the game was actually great? sure the characters are pretty wobbly seeing as its the early noughties and the Prince's "he's a dick that gets better" sexist musings sometimes feel like they might've been something you were supposed to agree with once upon a time.
Still for its time, the presentation is fairly well done, the framing device of the Prince regaling someone yet unknown with his tale is forever excellent because of his reactions when you die or pause the game that just really sell the angle.

I'm not sure PoP is the father of modern 3D cinematic platforming (I think Ico in all its jank beat it to the punch), it's certainly one of, if not, the strongest influence, whose approach lives on to this day in frequently vastly inferior form funnily enough. What could be complex and cumbersome is made relatively simple, two buttons basically get the job done, platforming uses snapping elements to sand down on frustration without being too handholdy and risk free like 90% of the games still using this approach (if you are getting the idea that I have beef with current day variants on this formula...you'd be right!).
In order to further offset any grief that would come with flubbing jumps, making incorrect leaps based on iffy camera angles and so forth, the titular sands of time is the perfect mechanic to support the player, allowing a certain amounts of do-overs per section with a funky GASPING rewind.
I really appreciated this at the endgame when the game deviously removes the sands as an option and then presents you with the final barrage of platforming, where one mistake will make you repeat A LOT, which unfortunately was frustrating because the platforming is fairly easy outside of wall jumps being finicky, and you better believe I buggered up the pivotal descending wall jump like three times before succeeding.
And that's really my only gripe with the platforming, wall jump timing was never quite clear and most failures came from the prince splatting against the wall and falling to his doom, if the rest of the mechanics could be argued to be too easy to pull off, this one works as the sole exception.

So, the combat, very often the prince and his companion Farah find themselves taking on a horde of like 15-20 sandy zombies 4 or 5 at a time in an endurance run, where it's not enough to just knock down your foes, you must then skewer them with the dagger to absorb their sandy essence or something. Combat is a juggling act of keeping your guard up, finding the moments to squeeze in attacks and whittling down the numbers. On paper this is actually fairly robust, the Prince can vault over most enemies for an easy knockdown combo, spring off the wall for the game's most OP attack, can parry, has a block that even works when you're knocked onto the floor. The pieces are all there but it gets old fast, walking a strange line between being too easy, or too suddenly turning the tables on you as enemies often lurk about doing not much at all, waiting their turn, before suddenly deciding to go ham for a few seconds, usually when you're in the middle of an animation to smack another enemy. You hit the floor, get punished for trying to spring up immediately, other times no punishment.
Despite a few enemy variants (curse the no vaulting halberd users!), you've pretty much seen the extent of the combat within the first few segments, you get sword upgrades that make basically no difference outside the last one, combat stagnates fast while being painfully frequent.
Oh and there's escort duty to make sure Farah doesn't die, but in fairness she handles herself and her bow pretty well, it's funny that she can actually shoot the prince if you get in the way (I think it might be more likely early game, she gets better/more accurate as you go perhaps)

So you mash the above two paragraphs together, with a smattering of death trap corridors, crevices for Farah to crawl through and pop out elsewhere with a chirpy "here I am!", a few timer switches, mirror puzzles, all throughout the sultan's palace. It's wonderfully gamey while being fairly grounded in visual design, the game humorously sets up the death trap central with an early game puzzle that involves a very english geezer sounding palace guard yelling very loudly at you, that sets up the palace "defenses", which ultimately means video game death trap land, you know I appreciate the effort to contextualise it.
The palace itself has a nice flow, a decent variety of locales for just one area, the way save points show a teaser of what's to come as something of a pseudo hint system is clever (though I had to start skipping these, they give too much away), there's just a lot of quality design going here...

It's just that blasted combat dragging it all down, it's so close to being simple and effective, but falls prey to tedium with proper foes and feeling pointless when you're waiting for areshole bats to swarm you so you can actually get rid of them or mindlessly mashing attack on scarabs. My headcanon is that the devs feared the game being too short (my timer ended at around 6 hours on the file, throw in retries and maybe it closes in on 7) so they overloaded the enemies as easy padding to avoid the damning critiques of noughties magazines, where being 6 hours long was like a death sentence.
If only there was some kind of remake being made that could bring it all in line to be the excellent experience it touches upon, well, there was but I think it's locked in never ending combat or something.

Happy to finally beat this game though, makes me wonder if the later ones fare better with improved or less combat.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Her_Story_store_art.jpg

31. Her Story (PC) | 20 Aug - 3.5 hrs | 9.5/10
What a fantastic original game - I dismissed it originally at release because of it being a FMV game, and I'm upset that I did. Due to Immortality coming to Gamepass this month, and getting a 10 from Edge, bringing up praise for Her Story again, I decided that since it's on Gamepass PC I'll finally give it a shot. And what an experience. Ended up 100% -ing the game, loved it. Such an original concept, and the way the story unfolds for you makes you feel like a genius even if all you're doing is putting together what next word you should use. Highly recommend, and beatable in 2 ish hours, or 100% able in 4.

UyN5XtM3L2L23vD38GKX7f.jpg

32. Forza Horizon 5: Hot Wheels (XSX) | 20 Aug - 13 hrs | 9/10
An amazing DLC to possibly my favorite racing game ever made. The sense of speed, the light structure (based on car classes), and the best looking hot-wheels environment ever put in a a game make this a can't miss experience. The only reason it isn't a 10/10 like the base game is that I found some of the track sections in the higher speed races (S1 and above), more frustrating to control, and I needed quite a bit more attempts to complete than most of the base game races. Ended up 100% completing all missions in the DLC, and I cannot wait for the second one.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Main Post

digimon-header-desktop.jpg

27. Digimon Survive
Hit credits on my first route (harmony). The game is pretty damn brutal, even darker than its third TV series, Digimon Tamers. Lots of kids die in very gruesome ways. It's also pretty much pitch perfect for a Digimon entry. Anything to do with Digimon I expect it to be dark and occasionally depressing. Digimon is also known for its power of friendship, ultra highs and, unfortunately, that's missing from this initial route. You can't save everyone in the first playthrough and that's kinda annoying to me. It was such a downer ending but at least it's pushed me to go for the good ending. Characters are hit and miss, story was pretty good, combat was alright and music was great. Argh, I'm so frustrated, though, I wanna save everyone! This will get added to my list again later after I get through the true ending.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
36 - Blackwell Convergence - SteamDeck - 5 hours / 21st August - 8/10
Really well put together story with interesting characters. The various stories intertwine nicely and the ending is very satisfying.

37 - The Looker - SteamDeck - 2 hours / 21st August - 8/10
Hilarious pisstake of The Witness with great puzzles of its own and some really unexpected jokes. Not just a parody but a good game in its own right that captures the feel of The Witness perfectly.

Last edited:

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
55. Life is Strange: True Colors (20/8/22) ★★★

I enjoyed the original LiS enough, but never delved into the prequel or sequel, so True Colors was my second foray into this series and it was another perfectly good time that doesn't quite hit the narrative heights I feel it could, while still doing a good job of pulling me into its story and characters.
While Alex's empath/emotion powers don't lend themselves to as interesting gameplay potential as the rewind of LiS1, I do think they're a strong element to build a narrative around, it's nice to see empathy placed at the forefront with all the pros and cons such a power would have.

Without spiling anything, I do feel that the game's big hooks are a bit too reminiscent of the first game in places which softens some impact, I would say that I felt the player's choices felt more well integrated in the long run (I always felt the first game did it well until the final chapter just sort of threw up its hands), but my quick post game look into player impressions tells me it's actually the opposite? huh, well it has been a long time since I played LiS.

The setting of Haven may be small, but it's well realised and perfectly inviting, character dialogue evades the how do you do fellow kids pitfalls (benefits of a slightly older cast?) and there's a lot of emphasis on subtle facial movements and the eyes for characters emoting, showing a clear move forward in tech from the team here (the B team I believe, but not in a negative way).
Though one very pivotal scene in the game's final chapter had me feel like the characters, including Alex, all had their logic fly out the window for various reasons, it ultimately stuck the landing regardless.
Oh and that mine haunt arcade game is surprisingly moreish, like platforming pac man.

el_galvon

Jun 13, 2019
49. Strike Vector EX (PS4) | Aug/17 - 4hrs | ★★★1/2
50. The King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match (PS4) | Aug/17 - 4hrs | ★★★★
51. Sky Force Anniversary (PS Vita) | Aug/19 - 7hrs | ★★1/2

49. Strike Vector EX (PS4) | Aug/17 - 4hrs | ★★★1/2
KLIDTOW.gif

An arcade combat game with ships/mechs. It looks like some lost Dreamcast game, and I mean that in the best way possible. The original Strike Vector was a multiplayer only game, but this EX version has a campaign mode, that is fun despite being short (and having a very dumb story). The controls may be weird at first but works well once you get used to it. Overall a fun game even if very simple.​

50. The King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match (PS4) | Aug/17 - 4hrs | ★★★★
y7OvbAo.gif

Port of the version released in 2008 for PS2. The main difference between this version and the "Final Edition" is that this one doesn't have an Online mode. However, this version has the Arranged tracks and a gallery with artworks, things that were missing in the last re-release. KOF 98 continues to be an excellent fighting game, but it's a pity that it never had a really "definitive" version with all the care that a game of this quality deserves.​

51. Sky Force Anniversary (PS Vita) | Aug/19 - 7hrs | ★★1/2
upNNXp4.gif

Shoot 'em up very much inspired by the classic 1942. It has good visuals, despite the little variety in its 9 stages. The worst aspect of the game is its excessive grind for resources, either to improve your ship or to continue the game. Having to repeat the same level several times to unlock the next one is very tiring, without this the game could have a more pleasant pace.​

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
52: Xenoblade Chronicles 3. End: 8/22/2022. (4 out of 5)

And thus my 52 Game Challenge for 2022 comes to an end with my beating Xenoblade Chronicles 3. The game is held together by a gripping story and a quirky cast of likable characters, but some of the gameplay choices hold it back. The UI is much improved from XBC 2, which is a welcome relief, but the battle system itself can feel bloated. Between 6 or 7 party members all at once, battles can take quite a bit of time, particularly with some of the overly long attack animations as part of the game's chain attack system (which you will definitely use if you want to get some good XP).

The game has an absolutely massive world, and its filled with things to do, so you're definitely getting a lot of bang for your buck. I look forward to the game's DLC when I can return to this world, but for now, I'm content with what I played, and can wait patiently for whatever MonolithSoft wants to do next.