• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Apr 24, 2018
For various reasons, it's increasingly looking like my year may end exactly the same way it started...playing through both Persona 4: Golden and Chained Echoes. I may not even make it through 20 games this year, but I've played (for me) a ton of rpgs this year.

Paused/About to Pause:
Persona 4: Golden (probably about to go on pause again shortly - near the end; just beat the dungeon of the main antagonist)
Chained Echoes (will probably give up going for all achievements and plow through whatever I have left of the story)
Trails to Azure (on pause until my next vacation in mid-December)

In progress:
Final Fantasy XVI
Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart

Upcoming:
Resident Evil IV Remake
Ghost Trick
Armored Core VI
Sea of Stars (Game Pass)
Lies of P (Game Pass)
Persona 5: Tactica (Game Pass)

This probably encompasses my remaining gaming for the rest of the year and then some!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
122. Avengers (PS5) - A game of two halves (wait, didnt I use that one before?), well it really applies to Avengers... Its broken up (sans updates) into two parts - The story (good) and the GaaS afterparty (fucking abysmal). Its really hard to separate the two, as the GaaS Shite bleeds into the story slightly - namely the overly long skill tree for each character - one that you'll never see fully because the game expects you to replay the most boring missions known to gaming...

But lets talk about the story instead! Its actually fairly decent for the most part - it follows Kamala Kahn (Inhuman, now X-Woman) as she brings the Avengers back together after a catostrophic event tears them apart. The game opens strong - with a great scene setting moment with Kamala, then a tutorial level with all the Avengers which is the biggest false set up Ive ever seen...
The game then jumps to some light stealth as you try and escape AIM in New Jersey, and eventually find The Hulk and team up, at which point the game really begins. Its a great set up, if only the rest of the game kept up the quality...

The story missions are more linear than the post game stuff, but still suffers at times from the missions using level design from the GaaS stuff - huge, barren, open levels that are boring to traverse as they are designed for all to traverse, therefore not specifically suited to anyone... At times you'll get linear missions designed just for the story, and these are great. Arguably, we dont get enough of them...
The other problem is the villain line up, frankly its terrible. In an age where the MCU has tons of decent villains (used questionably), its insane to think we get only Task Master (tutorial boss), Abomination (shows up a couple of times, boring to fight) and MODOK (interesting choice, but a lame one to build the entire game on). No Zemo, Red Skull, Masters of Evil, Loki (technically), Enchantress, Ultron etc. not even smaller villains as end of mission threats... lets just say, this aint Marvel Ultimate Alliance, not close.

Late in the story there's some legit good missions and moments, it ends really strongly, if it ended there, Id stop typing and be all positive about it...

But then after the game finishes, the "real" game SE and CD were shilling shows up. You have missions which are basically areas from the story, bosses etc. and are just like Destiny in terms of objectives... if Destiny had all quality and personality sucked out of it... The missions are boring, loot quickly starts becoming stupid as the game keeps giving you lower level loot (thusly wasting even more time) and there's no real story to these missions, so they are basically a giant waste of your time.

I gave up quickly on this. As I said above, I cant fathom people willingly putting 10s of hours to max characters out, this shit is abysmal. Its insulting that the devs would want you to do this, there's no joy to it... Also, for those on PS, Spider-Man sucks in this. Its like someone modded in Insomniac's Spidey but didnt bother testing him at all, its as janky as you'd expect. Web swinging sucks as well.
There might be a couple more story based missions I missed (I did some of Thor's) but I cant bring myself to grind to see if I unlock them. I already know no villains are waiting for me.

There's a bunch of free content that looks decent Ill try - story stuff. Its a shame my characters wont be leveled up, so who knows how much fun Ill get from it all, but Ill at least try Kate, Clink and T'Challa out.

This was basically an example of how to piss away a hot license... Even with GOTG's many combat issues, its still a vastly superior game to this, because its a linear game (with an amazing soundtrack).

Bonus 2. Ex-Zodiac (Steamdeck/PC) - And now for a far more positive review. Image a Starfox game that's almost entirely on rails... save for a couple of all range levels... what do you picture? Probably SF64, and this is basically that, but with visuals that are closer to Star Fox 1 on the SNES. Ive been saying for a while this is what Nintendo should do with the series (no more stupid gimmicks), and this indie dev basically nails it. Gameplay wise its almost identical - you fly through stages, shoot enemies, fight bosses... straight forward stuff! 64's homing shot is kept, but it works more like Panzer Dragoon (lock onto several enemies or the same one several times), and you have a combo timer - kill enemies in quick succession to build the combo meter for better ranks.
Levels are varied and fun, the ice AND fire level is a cool (and hot) one, and the game has a nice challenge level to it if your aiming for higher ranks (it aint easy).
The first 5-6 stages are on rails only (like Star Fox 1), but the last couple switch it up - one is a hover bike mission instead of a space ship, which is a nice change of pace (still on rails though, its like how 64 had a couple of Land Master missions), and the last two stages are all range battles - one has a ton of enemy fighters trying to destroy a defense laser so they can drop a meteor on the plannet, destroying it! These again play like the all range missions in SF64 (no Star Wolf yet though).
Honestly, I dont have a bad word to say about it - I list it as a "bonus" game as its still in early access, so only a handful of stages are done so far, but Im really happy with how well it plays so far. This is basically the Star Fox sequel I always wanted...

oh, and one other thing that makes it an 11/10!

When playing the stages, you can find Data items in certain enemies. These unlock hidden stages (almost duplicating the number of stages in the game, the all range levels lack them). While on rails still, these are not Star Fox inspired stages... rather, blatant Space Harrier inspired stages! Gameplay is identical - fly fast through stages, dodge columns while shooting everything else, while fighting low poly versions of SH bosses, all to a great soundtrack. Im a huge Space Harrier fan so to get not only a Star Fox indie title, but a Space Harrier one, bundled into one game, is amazing. I cant praise it enough! The full version should be amazing, assuming they dont feel the need to ruin it like Assault, Armada, Zero etc. were due to shitty gimmick and non on rails levels.

Next up:

Every Console/Handheld (unique) Spidey game... seriously
Tetris Effect VR
Runner
Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak
Rez Infinite (trophies)
Lost more VR stuff
MGS Rising
Splatterhouse (PS3)
Avengers
NMH3
Bayonetta 3
Plague's Tale
And a game generation worth of SFVI play!

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

A thread for people that are trying to play 52 games in a year. Tell us how you're doing and what you are going to play next - claim a post and update us on your progress! How do I take part? Claim a 'main post' where you will list all your completions for the year. You can use fancy images...
[/QUOTE]

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
<< Previous Post | Main Post | Next Post >>

hdj9r3m.png

30. Ghost Trick

OMG! Where has this game been all my life?? I totally missed it on the DS, but after all the extremely positive word of mouth I decided to try it on the switch. It was fantastic, and I know young me would have LOVED it if I played it on the DS. It would probably sit up there with Layton and Rhythm heaven as my favorite DS titles.

I admit, I underestimated this game at first. It's puzzle premise is really interesting and it's characters were immediately, visibly wacky, but I was expecting them to be kooky and one dimensional. But this game had way more in store for me than I expected. The story and characters both had more depth than I thought they would. By the finale I was on the edge of my seat, and I could not believe how they wrapped it up.

Really great game.

ghost-trick-phantom-detective_kJHxOxX.jpg

hq7IYZv.png

31. Nova Lands

A small scale, very casual automation game, where you extract a planet of it's resources to keep making bigger and better machines to harvest more useful items more efficiently. This one drew my attention because you can have an army of little robots and drones ferry things around each of your islands.

Very satisfying gameplay loop in the early and mid game, but far too grindy in the late game. And this game doesn't come with a great way to track your production per minute, so you have to end up using guides that break it down for you. I couldn't really wrap my head around it so I just kinda built more machines depending on where in the pipeline I was running low on materials.

f2a4c19c75f40d9bf4c3a2513426da92c47cebf0fd8bdabd46b0d36ef077d4aa

fok9IIn.png

32. The Magic Circle

I'd heard this game was a meta commentary on game development with coding-based puzzle gameplay, which made me very excited to try it. It mostly achieved everything on that front, but the puzzles weren't as logic based/programmy as I thought. Basically, you are a playtester who's accidentally been given developer tools. You can manipulate the objects in the game by switching out their behaviors. It's more or less a keyword system where you swap the key words of each object.

Really fun to see how far you could stretch the bounds of the world with the words you collect. It's quite a short game but they do a lot with the concept in that limited time.

magic-circle-1.jpg

Last edited:

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
Main Post

One more update for August with some more Megaman games.

fHhZXYE.png
42. Megaman 9 (Nintendo Wii) - August 11th (2 hours)
Some more classic Megaman finished up, this time with Megaman 9. This was my first time playing through MM9 and after not being too hot on 8, I'm glad to say that this was generally a big improvement. Megaman 9 (and 10 after it) rather than further expanding on the art styles of 7, 8, and & Bass, returns to the style of the NES games. It does a pretty great job of this overall, looking and sounding like a brand new (well at the time anyway) game for the NES. I don't quite think it looks quite as good as he later NES games like 5 and 6 but it's a great effort overall. With that shift back to NES aesthethics also comes a regression in the controls with the removal of the slide and charge shot if you're playing as Megaman. I'm definitely not a big fan of this but thankfully for the firsrt time in the main series Protoman is playable complete with those missing moves, so that's how I decided to play.

MM9 is easily one of the more difficult games in the seres overall, probably the hardest since 1 and 2. Playing as Protoman definitely didn't help here either since he takes double damage and knockback which I really wasn't a fan of. He does get to use his shield when jumping though which can reflect projectiles. I didn't find a lot of use for it personally but it is still a neat addition o his toolkit. E-Tanks and extra lives are pretty scarce for him as well, seeming far more rare than older games. The game brings back the MM7 style shop and bolts and because of that relys on you using bolts in the shop to get them. Something which just isn't available to Protoman for some reason. Another thing that isn't in Protoman's run is any semblance of a story. i don't really care about story in Megaman games but it's still a weird omission.

With those negatives out of the way though I did otherwise enjoy my time with Megaman 9. It has some fantastic level design with some of the most fun stage gimmicks in the series. Like 8 it also makes some great use of your special apons within the levels, especially the Wily ones (though that Concrete Shot section might be a little excessive). Said weapons are also generally great, with the Jewel Satellite easily being the best shield weapon in the series. It was also pretty cool to see some references to older stages level design like the Waveman bubble section in Splashwoman's (finally a woman robot master!) stage.

Overall I had a generally great time with Megaman 9. I have issues with it and it might be a little overly difficult but it's a very fun time and definitely worth playing through.

3.5/5

XqLppx8.jpg
43. Megaman 10 (Nintendo Wii) - August 24th (2 hours)
Another Megaman game down with Megaman 10. this wasn't my first time playing 10 but it was my first time beating it and after coming back to it for the first time in probably around 7-8 years I had an absolute blast. Megaman 10 is definitely on the highe end of the series for me and is a very decent improvement over 9 for the most part. Like 9 I opted out of using Megaman for this run and instead played as Bass. Unfortunately Bass' controls take cues from the Wondswan game so he still has isuues with aiming down and jumping and he doesn't have a double jump anymore. The actual moment to moment movement feels far better than that game though and the level design is faar better so he's still a lo of fun to play and the lack of a dedicated dash button isn't nearly as much of an issue.

Speaking of said level design though I will say it isn't quite as creative as 9. Stage gimmicks felt a little more subdued and special weapons aren't integrated into the level design anywhere near as much or as well. And said special weapons aren't particularly interesting I felt, though that's possibly due to playing as Bass. The level here are otherwise very solid and certainly a lot less punishing than the previous game. E-Tanks and extra lives are also far for plentiful within levels which certainly helps tone downthe difficulty a bit.

Presentation wise it's pretty similar to 9, still recreating the NES style. The soundtrack is also once again fantastic with Solarman's theme being my favourite of the lot.

In terms of the diffferences between extra characters this time I'm happy to say that the shop is actually usable. It wasn't too necessary here but being able to get the energy balancer was still nice. the story here actually exists for Protoman now as well since he was integrated from the beginning and even bass has some cutscenes during his playthrough.

Speaking of extras one very cool thing to see was the addition of three stages from the Gameboy Megaman games (Wily's Revenge, III, & IV) featuring the Megaman Killers from each game. They aren't exact 1:1 recrations I'm pretty sure but having just played through each of the Gameboy games at the beginning of this year it was really great to see these included. Beating the boss of each of these stages even gives you their weapon from the original games (though only for Megaman sadly) which you can go back and use in the main campaign. The only rea downside here is that these stages are only available via time trials so you'll have to beat them in one life with no checkpoints but that's not the worst thing in the world.

Overall I had a fantastic time with Megaman 10. It isn't as creative as 9 was but it's a lot more forgiving in terms of difficult and the addition of a playable Bass is great. I wouldn't quite put it at the top of my favourute Classic Megaman games but I think it might just crack the top 5.

3/5

Update - 27. Sonic Project 06 (PC) - August 25th

So I've been coming back to P-06 a lot of the last few months and the more I play it the more I'm starting to believe it may be one of if not my favourite Sonic games. It really cannot be overstated just how good it fee to merely move around in this game combined with the generally fantastic level design (which is 99% unchanged from retail 06) makes it one of the most enjoyable games to replay for me. I've found myelf just booting this game up whenever I get the chance now and I've even started speedrunning it and I routed out and wrote up a guide for an attempted pacifist run of the game as Silver. I've never been like this with any other game I can think of and if that doesn't signify a game as being one of my favourites I don't know what would. Because of all this I'm upping the score I gave this game. It isn't a 4/5 anymore I've come to love it as much as any of my absolute favourite games so I've got to give it a…..

5/5

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
123. Transformers: The Movie: The Game (Xbox 360) - Its a chaotic disaster, is probably the kindest way to describe the game. Its got many, many issues yet somehow I still have a few positive points from it lol.

So, the positives - The character models hold up surprisingly well in my opinion. They are super detailed and seems accurate enough to the movie characters (I mean, as accurate as a 360 could manage). And transforming is always fun.
The destruction while only cosmetic (you can damage buildings but not destroy them) is bizarrely satisfying if completely out of character for the Autobots. The game does a good job of showing big robots fighting and pretty much "leveling" areas with clear disregard.
VA wise... Frank Welker is used for Megatron because the devs decide its not worth getting Agent Smith back to voice him, and Frank does an amazing job. Total nostalgia flashback to the 80s for me, him and Prime do excellent jobs for the most part.
And lastly, flying Decepticons are fun to use.

And now the bad... which is basically everything else:

Open worlds are empty and pointless. The bonus stuff in them is all a waste of time and so uninspired. The game would have legit benefited from being linear instead.
Combat is weird, as your guns (both weak and power attacks) are useless in 90% of situations as all enemies will block them. Melee and throwing is what works and that's janky as shit. This also makes certain boss fights absolute nightmares - Ironhide's boss fight is easily the worst, Prime is a chump compared to him.
Missions arent great either. Its either drive somewhere or blow up endless waves. And since as I said, combat is annoying, it quickly stops being fun.
One whole level for the autobots is inside Hoover Dam and is as boring as your imagining. And annoying because the final mission is just poorly thought out (if any thought went into it at all).
The game is probably 2 hours long without the silly open world crap. Perhaps a small mercy considering its quality.
Boss fights are very boring, aside Ironhide whos a nightmare, everyone else is so easy to read you basically have everyone fight the same, or with very small changes. You'll be bored by level 3 (which is the Dam!)

As it stands, its standard licensed shite. A typical 3-5/10.

Update. Avengers (PS5) - So, post game got fun. Kate is amazing, and there actually is "unique" *stretching the meaning there* content to do when you can decipher it from the rest of the shite. Its still not a great post game, but its at least got me to keep playing and more importantly - enjoy the game more.

Next up:

Tetris Effect VR
Runner
Rez Infinite (trophies)
Lost more VR stuff
MGS Rising
Splatterhouse (PS3)
Avengers
NMH3
Bayonetta 3
Plague's Tale

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

A thread for people that are trying to play 52 games in a year. Tell us how you're doing and what you are going to play next - claim a post and update us on your progress! How do I take part? Claim a 'main post' where you will list all your completions for the year. You can use fancy images...

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
56: DC League of Super-Pets: The Adventures of Krypto and Ace. End: 8/22/2023.

It's a simple game that I played on Gamepass. There's really not a lot to say about this one. It's a pretty straightforward shmup where you play as a superhero dog and destroy robots.

57: Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope. End: 8/24/2023.

Another game that I had put on hold from last year but finally beat this year. The presentation as just as good as its prequel. The gameplay has seen some refinements. It's just an overall solid game. Shame it didn't do better.

Celestial Descend

Corrupted by Vengeance
Aug 15, 2022
Saw the "how many hours do you play per week at most to be a functional adult" thread and immediately thought about this thread..... Anyway.

33. Venba | AVG | PC | ★★★★☆ | 8-5
The game's structure is similar to a new life. Maybe vignette life story is the new trend for indie narrative adventure game. While their brevity is not necessarily a bad thing, I think they could achieve much more if they were just a bit longer. Having had the experience of being an outsider myself, I can relate to the story. Like Venba, I decided to go home. At least I won't feel regret for not spending time with my family before it's too late. For those who stay, never forget where you come from because others won't. Indian food looks absolutely divine in this game, you can practically smell the spices.

34. Superliminal | AVG | PC | ★★★☆☆ | 8-13
At the start it's a nice little puzzle game with intuitive and imaginative rule set. Then it starts to throw all logic out of the window, encouraging you to think outside the box, or in my case, frantically clicking on everything to see what works like playing an old school point-and-click. Finally it turns into a therapy session that I wouldn't pay for.

35. The Legend of Heroes: Kuro no Kiseki | RPG | PC | ★★★★☆ | 8-21
New engine, new graphics, new mechanics. Pretty ambitious game in a series known for its conservatism. The biggest improvement, without a doubt, is the elimination of loading screen. Every time I enter a new building without being greeted with a black screen, a warm feeling fizzled in my heart. But Falcom took it even further. Switching between exploration and combat is now instant. With one push of a bottom, you are in turn-based combat, with the position of your team and the enemies retained. I wish more RPGs adapt this feature. Reverie already showed how the new engine enables more sophisticated cutscene direction, but the new found cinematic capability really shines through in Kuro. Better direction and whole new level of details in character models elevate the presentation to stand toe-to-toe with contemporary anime JRPGs. We all know how much Kondo loves dancing scene in his game. This time we finally have legitimate dance performance. The new cast is a breath of fresh air that blows away the staunch of harem bullshit that had been plaguing the series for a decade. All of them, including the main protagonist, are likeable and seem to have further part to play in the saga. Usually each arch starts slow, but this one dumps the kitchen sink in your face right from the start. Some of the characters feel like they should be reserved for act 2. As a result, the game is bigger than it should be. I guess it's better than stretching it into two games, but seriously, a bit over the top for a mafia shakedown.

36. Sam & Max Hit the Road | AVG | PC | ★★★☆☆ | 8-26
Feels like a psychedelic trip, with a hint of conservationism theme. LucasArts games all have a degree of zaniness with them, but none as deconstructive, as whimsical as this one. In that regard, if it gets rid of some of the obtuse puzzles, it can pass for a modern "artsy" indie adventure game. On the other hand, some content is culturally insensitive to say the least, a modern "artsy" videogame journalist might call it downright racist. It's a game that is both ahead of its time, and a product of its time.

37.Toem | AVG | PC | ★★★★☆ | 8-26
A delightful little adventure similar to A Short Hike, with gameplay akin to Umurangi Generation but far less frustrating. The game is drien by exploration, but it is confined in a limited space so it never gets overwhelming. A nice palate cleanser.

38.Before Your Eyes | AVG | PC | ★★★☆☆ | 9-7
The blink gimmick confuses me. I feel like I am punished for not being able to keep my eyes open. Neat little story that is a bit familiar.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
124. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (GBA) - Based on the first season of the 2003 show, this is one of many games released to tie in with the resurgence Turtles was getting. Ive only ever played the old school Konami ones (based on the 80s/early 90s series) so had no idea what to expect... and Im actually pleasantly surprised.
TMNT is a 2D side scrolling action platformer - more action than platformer. While it has issues (repetition, level design, pacing), I actually enjoyed playing it. The game is first broken down into 16 stages - 4 for each Turtle - including one bonus stage per hero that's not all that great.
Levels usually have you going left to right, beating enemies up, doing some lite platforming, then repeat. The game is a side scroller more in the style of the original NES Turtles, but the combat encounters cant be skipped - you can only progress when everyone is defeated. Thankfully combat is fast paced and pretty ok. Its not particularly deep (you have a few directional moves to play with though, some light juggling as well) but its solid and always works - with good collision detection, and everything is silky smooth.
The problems are just basically that level design is straight forward, pacing slows a bit when another enemy encounter starts, and its not the most difficult or engaging combat system. There's nothing bad here (far from it), but if I were to compare it to say... Turtles in Time, its not as good, no way.

There's a few boss creatures/fights in the game, these are fairly straight forward once you figure out the pattern and weak spots - you cant brute force your way through them (evasion is required!) but they have solid patterns, and can be evaded fine, so again its well designed in that sense, not like other licensed games Ive played which end up devolving into mashing buttons and hoping!

Eventually you'll clear all 16 stages and then you'll tackle Shredder tower. This is a short series of encounters that get a bit harder each time. You have limited health (which doesnt refill at most checkpoints unless its for a boss) so you have to play well. Took me a few tries to nail a decent run.

The boss fights again are fairly straight forward - again you have small windows for attack so you gotta pick your moments to strike well. If you try and spam attacks, you'll end up getting smacked out of your combo!

Special mention has to go to the sprites - they look great, and are decently animated.

So, its not the best Turtles game Ive ever played, but I enjoyed it loads and would absolutely replay it.

Next up:

Tetris Effect VR
Runner
Rez Infinite (trophies)
Lost more VR stuff
MGS Rising
Splatterhouse (PS3)
Avengers
NMH3
Bayonetta 3
Plague's Tale

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
125. Spider-Man 2: The Movie (GBA) - Another day, another Spidey movie tie in. Today its a tie in to perhaps the best Spidey movie ever (I know its still my favourite!), and console fans also really love the game adaptation for its amazing web swinging controls/attention to detail. But this is a GBA game, so how's it stack up?

Shockingly enough, actually quite well! At first glance when I started the game, I noticed that the sprite was the same as the first Spidey GBA game, not a bad thing but I expected it to probably have the same issues. And the first stage really does a bad job of introducing the game to you - your racing to give Pizza to customers, and the game doesnt tell you where they are. Its probably the weakest level of the lot, as it takes a lot of trial and error until you find one family hiding in a house with no doors or windows (I feel like they need help, not a pizza...)

Anyway, after that the actual game gets going - Ock's experiment goes bad and you gotta save everyone and escape the building before your caught in the accident. Its a good introduction to all your swinging and wall crawling controls.
The next couple of stages again feel like the game is not gonna be so great - with combat feeling not so great, collision is very precise and you feel sorta weak... This would actually be a legit bigger issue IF you didnt have access to XP as you play, and the first thing I got was the increased damage move, which improves things 1000%.
The rest of the game was a blast after that. The levels are fairly well designed, the game is good at directing you on where to go, bomb specific levels give you a compass to direct you where to go (but not for Pizza's apparently...) and bosses are all designed to have legit patterns to learn so its not like the first GBA game where things felt very random.

A few things I really loved:
You cant throw a punch against Rhino - unlike other games where Spidey has amazing strength that can damage his thick hide, this one has you using explosive barrels (when chasing him) and then falling debris (after cornering him) to damage him.

Mysterio's level and fight feels like its out of Spider-Man Vs The Kingpin - really trippy level design that feels perfect for the character, and Mysterio's moves list does more than just disappear - with him growing to giant size, flipping the screen around etc. to really mess with you. Its totally in his wheelhouse.

Puma getting a part of the story to himself - I mean, when has that EVER happened before? (or since for that matter) - was nice to see a D tier villain get some rep.

Lizard, Shocker and Doc Ock also get used in the story. Hilariously Doc Ock feels underused considering he's the main villain from the game and movie. The game basically forgets about him for 90% of the game. I really quite liked Lizard's fight, with him using other reptiles in the battle, sets it apart from every other fight I can think of against him, which boils down solely to his insane strength.

The game has an 3D open world... sorta. So, in the game after completing a few missions, your loading into a legit 3D space you can webswing around and explore. You can climb up buildings, run along the ground, and web swing. Its really quite cool. Its also moving at around 5-10FPS (at a guess) so its very jerky, but to be honest I dont expect the GBA to be able to do 3D open world Spidey, heck even the Vita port of Amazing Spider-Man ran badly and that's several gens in the future...
In this area you can travel to amber dots (side missions) or green dots (story missions). Side missions are just for extra XP and some fun little missions to find more bombs, stop muggers etc. Its friendly neighborhood type of stuff, not jaw dropping content but its nice to have some extra stuff to do between fighting Shocker and Lizard! Plus as I said, the game plays pretty darn nicely, so extra content in a game I enjoy is always appreciated.

Its not perfect though - you can get stun locked at times, and as I said pre upgrade combat kinda isnt great, but I feel the game does enough to mitigate those issues mostly, and as I result I really loved the game, much more so compared to the original GBA movie game and past Spidey handheld adventures.

Next up:

Tetris Effect VR
Runner
Rez Infinite (trophies)
Lost more VR stuff
MGS Rising
Splatterhouse (PS3)
NMH3
Bayonetta 3
Plague's Tale

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Getting back into the swing of things a bit after finally beating Tears of the Kingdom, I've 3 games beaten in August, and just 11 away from target now:

Zelda-Tot-K.jpg

39. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Switch) | 21 August 2023 | 9/10
Completed with all shrines beaten and all lightroots located. There's little that I can say that's not been said plenty of time before, but Tears of the Kingdom is a triumphant sequel to Breath of the Wild. Once again we have a suitably epic story to provide impetus for the gameplay, spanning the history of Hyrule, and with some unusually heart-wrenching moments. The game map is tweaked just enough to feel fresh alongside introducing a novel set of new puzzle-solving mechanics, and the introduction of additional 'layers' with the underground depths and the skies above adds a great deal to the exploration - even if that sometimes brings a bit of frustration. Throughout, the way that miniature puzzles are woven into the world is inspired and the sheer quantity (and quality!) of detail that's packed in means that there's rarely a time that you'll not find something of interest as you explore.

Of course, no game is perfect and I'm in the camp that's not a fan of the weapon durability mechanic, which mostly leads to frustration, even if I understand the intention behind it. The major 'temple' locations are a significant improvement over Breath of the Wild's Divine Beasts, but I still mourn the absence of the fully-fledged puzzle-based dungeons that always were a series staple. These do detract from the overall experience a little, but not enough to prevent it almost certainly being one of the strongest releases of a pretty packed year.

Star-Trek-Resurgence.png

40. Star Trek: Resurgence (Xbox Series X) | 27 August 2023 | 7/10
Complete playthrough. Played after the first major patch, Star Trek Resurgence no longer suffers from the significant technical issues that seemed to be prevalent shortly after release. What remains is an enjoyable extended traditional Trek episode in the post-The Next Generation era, with an engaging story that switches between two protagonists. The degree of interactivity varies - in many cases just dialogue selection, but with a few 'minigame' segments based around shuttlecraft flight, stealth or phaser combat (for example). These work on a basic level, but, not being a major focus of the game, don't really excel and come off as a bit clunky. Again, though, the story is what players will come to the game for and on that measure, Resurgence stands as one of the better games set in the Trek universe.

header.jpg

41. Later Alligator (PC - Steam) | 28 August 2023 | 7/10
Completed with 100% of achievements unlocked, all puzzle pieces and family badges collected. Lightweight but enjoyable, Later Alligator's core gameplay comprises a series of mini-game challenges set by members of an alligator family inhabiting a fictional city, explored through a point-and-click interface is a point-and-click puzzle game. Entertaining though these can be, the game's strength lies in its excellent writing, laced with humour throughout, which carries the game through its fairly short (somewhere around a couple of hours) length.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
It's the end of August, and the good news is I put a lot of hours into Zelda finally. The bad news:

15. Slay the Spire (Switch, 2019) - 4:44 - August 6

One game completed, and this one feels like a bit of a cheat because I had help with this one and I did finish a round but didn't finish "the game" (but am I ever going to get all the way to Ascension 20? almost certainly not).

Zelda is big enough that I think it's going to take me quite a while longer if I intend to really dig into everything it has to offer (I haven't even explored very much of the depths), so hopefully I can fit that in alongside all the Starfield I'm about to play. Luckily there isn't much else to take up my gaming time this month; Armored Core 6 would've been a candidate but I'm waiting for a sale on that one, and the same goes for most of the big games I've missed over the summer like Baldur's Gate 3, Diablo IV and Final Fantasy XVI. A "reprieve" before October hits with Detective Pikachu Returns, Cities: Skylines 2, and Forza Motorsport.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
58: Tinykin. End: 8/26/2023.

I had heard this game was short and started it ages ago. I had trouble truly latching onto it and put it aside. When it was announced to be leaving Gamepass, I decided to finish this game. It's a fine little game, and just as short as I had heard.

59: Sonic CD. End: 8/30/2023.

Making my way through Sonic Origins Plus. Sonic CD is a solid 2D Sonic game that has solid gameplay and interesting level designs. But I hated the bonus stages to collect the Chaos Emeralds (I mean Time Stones).

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
156. Serious Sam HD Remaster (PS4) - Now here's a game that's relentless with its enemy waves. The game starts off simple, with me having not too many issues with the enemies, taking them out fine. But as the game goes on, things get tougher with bigger and longer waves, and some pretty tough combos that make things legit difficult. Oh, and really long levels, makes some of the final levels feel like they last forever. Youd think the final level would focus on the boss right? Wrong, shit's even crazier there, with some legit tough waves to run through while you try to avoid being crushed.
I loved it. Except when its slightly vague at times (and just flat out lost my save file in the final level). The actual final fight isnt too bad, but the bit outside the pyramid took me many tries to nail down due to how unrelenting the enemies are, and how you need to be a bit frugal with certain ammo...

All in all, a wonderfully chaotic and well designed FPS game. I cant wait to dive into the sequel.

Next up:

Tetris Effect VR
Runner
Rez Infinite (trophies)
Lost more VR stuff
MGS Rising
Splatterhouse (PS3)
NMH3
Bayonetta 3
Plague's Tale

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Finished up August. Main post is here.

31. Dead Cells - PS5 - 13 hours
32. Venba - Xbox Series X - 1 hour, 24 minutes
33. Blasphemous - PS5 - 15 hours, 14 minutes
34. A Short Hike - Xbox Series X - 1 hour, 53 minutes
35. Moving Out 2 - PS5 - 13 hours

Going to be another tight one this year, but moving along.

September (42/52)
36. Final Fantasy 7 Ever Crisis: Crisis Core - iOS - 2 hours
37. Final Fantasy 7 Ever Crisis: Beach Summer Event - iOS - 40 minutes
38. Maquette - Xbox Series X - 2 hours, 1 minute
39. Final Fantasy 7 Ever Crisis: Final Fantasy 7 Chapter 1-3 - iOS - 10 hours
40. Final Fantasy 7 Ever Crisis: First Solider Chapter 1-4 - iOS - 12 hours
41. Resident Evil 4: Separate Ways (2023) - Xbox Series X - 5 hours, 1 minute
42. Mortal Kombat 1 - PS5 - 4 hours

Last edited:

el_galvon

Jun 13, 2019
August update:

Main Post

39. Super Mario Land (Game Boy - 1989) | Aug/01 - 1hr | 6.5
uz54i1r.jpg

The good: Good variety of enemies and scenarios despite the short duration
The bad: Only one shot per screen with the Fire Flower Superball

A very short but interesting take after the first Super Mario Bros. C'mon Nintendo, bring the shmup stages back!

40. Gravity Circuit (PC - 2023) | Aug/05 - 5hrs | 7.5
nV2ciYT.jpg

The good: Very tights controls
The bad: I really wanted a quick way to change the powers and abilities

Cool Mega Man inspired game, with focus on melee combat.

41. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (Game Boy - 1992) | Aug/11 - 3hrs | 8.5
f9erJBf.jpg

The good: Better gameplay influenced by SMB3, but keeping the same "weirdness" of the first Land
The bad: It is still too short

An excellent sequel to the first Mario Land, I only wished it had like, two more unique areas.

42. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U - 2017) | Aug/18 - 110hrs | 10
xk0xCgV.jpg

The good: It's not about being able to climb that distant mountain, it's about WANTING to climb that distant mountain
The bad: Despite eventually getting used to it, every now and then the durability system still bothered me

Yeah... it is indeed one of the best games ever made. Second Zelda I've ever finished (after Link's Awakening DX), will see if I manage to play TotK still this year.

43. Viewfinder (PC - 2023) | Aug/19 - 5hrs | 7
x1XriC0.jpg

The good: The effect of transforming the scenery from a photograph is fantastic
The bad: The puzzles are too easy and the story is not exciting

Despite the annoying dialogues, it's impossible not to be impressed by this game main mechanic. Sad that many of its ideas are not fully explored.

44. Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES - 1988) | Aug/23 - 3hrs | 5.5
uVX1Zux.jpg

The good: All concepts and characters created that were carried forward by the series
The bad: Some bizarre spikes in difficulty from mid to end

I'm glad that this game brings Shy Guy to the Mario universe, but can't say that I enjoyed playing it...

45. Hotshot Racing (PS4 - 2020) | Aug/25 - 7hrs | 6
cadacQf.jpg

The good: The colorful low-poly look is very beautiful
The bad: Absurd CPU rubberbanding and an empty online mode

A good racing game that is made less interesting by CPU rubberbanding.

46. Tinykin (XBO - 2022) | Aug/30 - 9hrs | 8
JLWz70D.jpg

The good: Relaxing exploration and charismatic visuals
The bad: The soundtrack it's not on par with the other aspects of the game

A nice surprise and absolute joy to play. Very cool to see a game of this genre so engaging even without any kind of combat.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
157. TMNT Ubisoft ver. (GBA) - Since so many games are solely called TMNT, Im appending them with the dev so I can remember which one Im talking about. This one is based on the mid 00s CGI movie, and the GBA version of said game is a side scrolling brawler more akin to the old Konami releases people love. Is it as good? Technically no, the source material sorta lets it down - TMNT '89 and TiT can pick from an animated series full of excellent characters, this movie... I cant say has anywhere near as interesting of a cast.
That said, it still plays really, really well. The game has a few Raphiel only stages due to the plot following his solo exploits, but most stages let you pick which Turtle to use, and one as a "striker/asist" type character to jump in and help either by beating up an enemy, or giving you back some health. As you use characters more their stats improve, and their bond improves which means their assist attacks get better over time.

Stage wise its fairly "normal" for a brawler - 7 stages. These stages tend to be fairly long, and all but one have bosses waiting for you at the end. The game itself gives you 6 lives (on normal, 3 on hard) per stage, and once you lose them all, you gotta restart the level from scratch. Most enemies are fairly easy to deal with (though have plenty of health, maybe a bit too much) but some obstacles like mines, pits and subway trains are one hit KOs, so watch out! You can also grab other weapons that are dropped which deal great damage.
Moves list wise you have juggle attacks, a keep away kick (which is amazingly useful), AOE attack and a back attack... basically a full complement of moves that rounds out the combat really well. While I feel the enemy health issue makes it feel somewhat badly paced (fights can drag on), the game itself is still one of the better designed licensed brawlers Ive played mechanically, and definitely at the time where TMNT games were super hit or miss, this one is definitely firmly in the "hit" column.

Boss wise, instead of being button mashy affairs, these are 100% pattern based skill checks - they hit hard and have limited points where they can be damaged, but arent actually too tough when you get the handle on things. The final boss is kinda easy in hindsight, once you get all their attacks down, you'll handily dominate them. While the characters used for bosses are forgetful, the fights themselves are some of the better designed for the genre because they dont feel cheap, they feel well designed with decent moves and patterns to learn with clear points to attack.

And lastly, I cant not mention the sprite work. This game is GORGEOUS. The Turtles especially look terrific, and most of the enemies and bosses look suitably excellent as well. This is easily one of the best looking GBA brawlers out there, and just in general a really nice looking GBA game. Top marks for the art dudes working on this!

Next up:

Tetris Effect VR
Runner
Rez Infinite (trophies)
Lost more VR stuff
MGS Rising
Splatterhouse (PS3)
NMH3
Bayonetta 3
Plague's Tale

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

Chas Hodges

Nov 7, 2017
2023 Part #1

20 games down, MUCH later in the year than usual. Getting worried about my streak at this point!

21. Daily Dadish (Switch) - 01/09/23 - ~25+ hours (All Unlocks)

The original Dadish trilogy are great little bite-size platform game. I've beaten the first two 100%, but never got round to starting the third. One day browsing the eShop, I saw that it's 4th entry, Daily Dadish was on a deep discount, and snapped it up.

Instead of the game being made up of say 50 levels that you can blast through at your own pace, Daily Dadish is comprised of 365 handcrafted levels, with the catch being that you can only play one a day. The rest of the game's community are locked into the same stage choice, and therefore you're competing globally across the game's console and PC versions, to take the top time spot for that particular map. If you want to ignore the leaderboards there's also an in-game bronze, silver, gold and star time to aim for, with a star time being the fastest. Beat that top time and you earn one star that can be spent in the in-game store to unlock different characters. There are 10 unlockable characters, each costing 10 stars, and so after beating the in-game goal time on 100 previous days, I've now swept the store and have considered the game 'done'. I could of course play for another 250+ days and be served new content, but I don't think I can be bothered.

When I first started playing the game I was a bit frustrated that I could only do one stage each day. After a few days though, something shifted in my brain, and instead of being an annoyance, it felt like a nice cap to each play session and it soon became a bit of a ritual to just beat the stage, hit the leaderboards for 20 minutes, and then be able to move on. I've found getting properly involved with a game quite difficult these last few months for some reason to the point where my legendary streak of 52 beaten games a year is probably going to falter. But Daily Dadish actually really helped me to continue to feel connected to games even if a week passed and I'd barely played anything else of note.

22. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins DX (GBC) - 14/09/23 - ~6 hours (All Achievements [RA])

I love this sort of ROM hack. A team looking at an old first party GB game that never got a DX upgrade, and just, you know, making it happen. Super Mario Land 2, colourised, avec Luigi, sans slow down.

It doesn't change much from the original game, maybe the odd historic bug fix, but the new coat of paint just makes it all feel so much fresher.

Still love how this game feels massive when played after its sibling Super Mario Land. Still love the Totaka soundtrack. Still love how weird a lot of these zones are. Still hate the final stage and boss.

To beat this game isn't all that, especially with the reduced flicker and slowdown of this patched ROM. But to beat it with all achievements as listed on Retroachievements is a gauntlet. Every world has a 'beat boss without powerups and as little boy Mario' which range in difficulty from easy peasy to quite frustrating, and every world has at least one speed run challenge which are all really bleedin' hard. The final level though, WOOF: beat the stage under par time, as wee lad Mazza, without taking any damage. Of the 6 hours I played, 3 were here. Absolutely nails to do this under pressure.

Done though!

23. Vampire Survivors (Switch) - 22/09/23 - ~60 hours (100% Collection / Bestiary / Secrets / Unlocks)

The game launched on Steam. Everyone loved it. Played for a couple hours. Bounced off it.

The game launched on Switch. Hardly any fanfare. Played for 60+ hours. Completed it.

I love this game.

24. LaserCat (PC) - 30/09/23 - ~2 hours (Credits)

A classic from the Xbox Live Indie Games era, LaserCat is a ZX Spectrum inspired flick screen 2D platformer a la Jet Set Willy. Navigate through a castle of connected rooms collecting keys to save a friend. It's short and sweet, never overly challenging, but stuffed with whimsy and humour. A big recommend. Very glad it was saved from the purgatory of XBLIG with this PC port.

25. LaserCat's Halloween Deadventure (PC) - 30/09/23 - ~30mins (Credits)

A sequel of sorts to LaserCat. Built in a different engine, but following a similar format, it's more Spectrum worshipping platform adventuring. Less polished than its predecessor, but free via itch if the £0.79 outlay of the original was too much for you.

26. Beautiful Mystic Survivors (PC) - 17/10/23 - ~25 hours (All Achievements [Steam])

What if Vampire Survivors had more boobs?

This game is your answer. Available in two flavours, taking the adjective 'beautiful' or 'sexy' depending on if you want your Survivors clone to be Not Safe for Work, or Not Even Really Safe for Home.

It follows the VS format almost exactly, and of all the copycat games I've played on my quest to find a similar experience (Brotato, Army of Ruin, Goobies, Choo Choo Survivors, 20 Minutes Till Dawn and now Mystic Survivors), it's honestly the one I've enjoyed the most, anime melons or not.

The hardest bit to get right with any of these games is making the experience immediately approachable, the progression clear and satisfying, and the meta game of build management deep enough to allow for min-maxing without making a sub-par mix an immediate failed run. Mystic Survivors nails it by virtue of just copying VS almost directly. However, unlike Army of Ruin that felt too plain, it's actually the dumb anime character dressing that makes it feel just different enough to be kind of its own thing even with its blatant borrowing. There's much less content here than in VS, but it still kept me busy for almost 25 hours, fulfilling that exact same 'something to chill with after work' feeling that I've needed lately.

27. Cube Escape Collection (PC) - 22/10/23 - ~10 hours (Credits)

9 Flash era escape room / puzzle room / point and click adventures that tie into the wider Cube Escape / Rusty Lake mythos.

I could count this as 9 completions, but that felt a little cheap as they're only an hour or so each.

I really liked the atmosphere these games created for such simple graphical and interface setups. They draw incredibly overtly from Twin Peaks, but build around a narrative all their own. Some puzzles were better than others. Some are too oblique, some are too easy, but overall, I rarely got properly stuck in the 10 hours it took to beat the collection. There are achievements to grab if I wanted to go back and poke around in each title, but I think I'll take a break for a bit. Seeing the whole 'story' to date (or at least to date at the time of the 9th game's original release) was good enough for me.

28. Tetris (PSP) - 12/11/23 - ~2 hours (All Achievements [RA])

One of my favourite lesser known editions of Tetris. The EA developed PSP and PS3 Tetris games are ones I've come back to a surprising amount because of their interesting variants, which in some cases would arguably inform some of the mechanics later popularised by things like Effect many years on.

Having recently been added to Retro Achievements, I felt it was the perfect time to give the PSP version another blast. 2 hours and change, and the set's mastered. Lovely jubbly.

29. Tetris (Wonderswan Color) - 12/11/23 - ~2 hours (All Achievements [RA])

D'ya want another? A surprisingly modern version of Tetris, hidden away back in 2002 on the Japan exclusive Wonderswan Color handheld. Standardised Tetris colours? Check! Hold and ghost pieces? Check! It all feels great. Having just played PSP Tetris this morning, Wonderswan Tetris is also much snappier in the hand - think the difference between Arika's Tetris 99 and Tetris Effect.

Does anyone care about this sort of thing? (no) Am I going to keep writing it anyway? (yes)

30. Full Void (Evercade) - 16/11/23 - ~4 hours (Credits)

A proper marquee release for the gang at Blaze, Full Void marks the first Evercade cart to feature just a single game. It's deluxe edition has a slip case, a mini comic, an art book, a sticker sheet, the works. And you know what? It might not be a perfect game, but I still think the treatment it's received here fucking rules. A modern indie cinematic platformer in the vein of Another World, Flashback, Abe's Odyssey, Limbo, Inside, etc etc, I played the entire thing in one sitting and had a blast.

Could some of the puzzles have been telegraphed a little better? Sure. Do some stages feel a little copy / paste when viewed alongside other stronger stages? Absolutely. But the whole thing oozes care and class - a tiny team really giving it their all, rotoscoped pixel art cutscenes and all.

Love the Evercade, man.

31. Exo One (PC) - 08/12/23 - ~4 hours (Credits)

Fucking hell. Every once in a while a game comes out of seemingly nowhere and just blows your head off, Doom shotgun-style.

If you like sci-fi, or the way traversal feels in Spider-man, or the imagery of Roger Dean, or the procedural generation of No Man's Sky, or the narrative design of something like Outer Wilds, just go and buy Exo One on your platform of choice. It takes 3-4 hours to beat, but serves up plenty of reasons to replay. I beat it on the Deck, docked, but I think the visuals are going to melt my mind in handheld and can see myself starting a new playthrough before the week's out. 10 out of 10 stuff from a team of about 3 people. Madness.

32. Rusty Lake Hotel (PC) - 10/12/23 - ~4 hours (All Achievements [Steam])

After beating the first 9 Cube Escape Collection games, it's on to the individual 'premium' offerings from Rusty Lake. Hotel is a decent start - less spooks and jumps than the earlier titles, but still equally macabre and creepy in places.

Genuinely quite interesting to see the scope of these games expand and the wider mythos and lore spread out their tendrils through each entry. Looking forward to playing more!

33. Submerged (PC) - 10/12/23 - ~5 hours (All Achievements [Steam])

I love this game. Maybe the 4th or 5th time I've beaten it 100% across a variety of platforms and accounts, it's just such a calming, relaxed time. No pressure, but heaps of atmosphere. There's some wonky character models, sure, but it's the submerged city that's the star of the show. The day and night cycle beautifully shows off the collapsed, waterlogged architecture (there's a reason there's an achievement for remaining in your boat for a full 24 hours of in-game time!), and the whole thing manages to portray a really stark environmental message, even if real world global weather systems and warming don't play any role at all in the game's canon narrative.

Properly awe inspiring, in the textbook definition of the word.

34. Fishing Vacation (PC) - 10/12/23 - ~4 hours (All Achievements [Steam])

A cute, quirky, and creepy 'can't believe it's not Gameboy' retro throwback.

Presented as a nice 'go fishing with your buddy' weekend away, things start to take a dark turn, with the game trading on Inuit mythology to present a range of increasingly grim endings.

I can't do horror, but this being in pea green Gameboy monochrome softened the sting a little. Still though, there were a fair few false jump scares that still made me do a little shake or gasp (because I'm a weenie).

The game itself is about 45 minutes long, but does require multiple playthroughs if you want to grab all 5 endings and all the missable achievements.

35. Deep Space Waifu (PC) 16/12/23 - ~3 hours (All Achievements [Steam])

Ostensibly a shoot 'em up. Shall we just leave it at that?

36. Tetris 99 (Switch) 16/12/23 - ~30 hours (All 2023 Maximus Cups)

What constitutes 'finishing' a live service, potentially endless game? If you're a Fortnite addict for example, where exactly are the full stops?

Tetris 99 is a game I have continued to play for a least an hour or two every single month since it released. Although I'm not now playing obsessively as I was when it first launched, it remains a comfort game that I can stick on for an hour and know that I'll have a nice time.

Nintendo themselves have slowed down a little with their promotional Maximus Cups - designated weekends where amassing a certain amount of points grants you new skins / themes for the game - but they still managed to put on about 10 of them in 2023 to promote a range of their first party releases.

This weekend I unlocked the new Mario Wonder skin, and realised (mainly thanks for friend of the show Kaspar) that I didn't miss a single timed unlock this calendar year. I guess I'd call that 'beaten'?

37. Rusty Lake Roots (PC) - 18/12/23 - ~6 hours (All Achievements [Steam])

Another in the Cube Escape / Rusty Lake series, and maybe the strongest entry yet? Attempting to fill our the lore of the series, this game presents 30-odd character vignettes set across an entire family tree. The interface works as you'd now expect how ever many games in, but pushes the form slightly with more manipulatives and scrollable scenes rather than exclusively single screen points of interaction.

The puzzles here are mostly fair, but there are a couple that had me utterly bemused. Definitely felt like a case of a developer designing for themselves first and foremost and then worrying about player response later!

There's still a whole boat load of games to play in the series, but I'm chipping away slowly!

38. Handshakes (PC) - 19/12/23 - ~3 hours (All Achievements [Steam])

A really cool, completely free puzzle game. Sokoban inspired, the main gimmick here is that you're controlling two characters independently - or their arms at least with otherwise static bodies - navigating mazes and pushing blocks to use switches etc, with the goal being to reach one another and shake hands. Starts off easy enough, but by the end of the 30 stages there are some real head scratching moments. Two achievements are tied to the game's 'speed running' mode with the loftiest goal being to beat the game in under 10 minutes. Even with a guide laid out in front of me with exact button inputs, my initial best was 13 minutes. With perseverance though, we got there though!

39. Snake Force (PC) - 19/12/23 - ~2 hours (All Achievements [Steam])

A really cool, completely free action game. Cannon Fodder inspired, you guide a little crew of dudes through a range of stages, trying to hit a team member quota by the end of each stage that you top up by rescuing hostages. The challenge comes from avoiding friendly fire. The 'snake' of the title comes from the way you soldiers follow your front man's lead: if the tail of the company gets in the way of your machine gun fire, there's going to be casualties!

Although only 6 stages long, the game's replay value is improved by offering a 'badass' mode whereby you can only take a single soldier with a pistol through each stage, and finally an 'FPS' mode where the game suddenly turns into a fast paced speed run affair. When that's all wrapped, there's a handful of achievements tied to different tasks as well which were fun to aim for, and quite challenging too.

I played the whole thing in handheld on the deck, and it was a great showcase for the control options the deck affords. With WASD movement placed on the analogue stick, controlling the mouse cursor for aiming felt absolutely spot on with the right track pad, so much so that I'm keen to go back and try playing Cannon Fodder again on a platform like the Amiga, so that I can set up the mouse in exactly the same way.

40. Submerged: Hidden Depths (PC) - 21/12/23 - ~9 hours (All Achievements [Steam])

Even getting to 40 has been like pulling teeth this year. Glad I finally sat down to play this game properly though.

Revisiting the first Submerged title the other week put me in the right headspace to give its sequel proper attention and consideration after fizzling out a few hours into my playthrough back when it first launched on console.

This time, OLED Deck in hand, it's been a much more pleasant time, picking through the game stage by stage and marvelling at just how good it looks on the smaller screen with the new water shaders, and high contrasts of the shiny screen.

I liked the game a lot, but still think I prefer the simplicity of the first game. Hidden Depths is far more overt in its story telling and messaging, and whereas the previous entry was never shy about its environmentalist messaging, I think something is lost here with the narrative suddenly being presented front and centre, rather than as a thread that just kind of ran alongside whatever else you decided to get up to.

The game is about double the length of the first which is just a little longer than I would have ideally liked too. Collectibles ended up feeling a bit more like busywork by the end of my time with the game, something which never happened during the more truncated runtime of the first.

Last edited:

Sillen2000

Oct 1, 2019
Main Post

July update: 35/52

Oh no, I'm so behind on these updates...

nLt4B6j.jpg

31. July 9th | A Space for the Unbound | Nintendo Switch | 11h 46m | ☆☆☆½(/5)
Probably the first Indonesia game I've ever played, but most importantly a very interesting, but unfortunately also a very frustrating, game. For those not in the know, A Space for the Unbound is a very story focused adventure game (which is a very nebulous genre name, but just think of it in this case as a point & click game, but without pointing & clicking) about Atma, a teenage boy who seemingly drowns when trying to save a friend, and is then woken up in school by his girlfriend Raya, whom Atma doesn't seem to remember at all and who seems to have magical powers.

What this premise sets up is a nice slice of life story, combined with a mystery of what's going on, and why. Or rather, that's probably what it should be, because the game honestly abandons the slice of life aspects very early on, and the mystery almost takes over completely by the second chapter as the world plunges down into more and more chaos as the plot goes along, and a lot of the emotional core of the game suffers for it. It's a great mystery with some really surprising and well written twists, but it throws too much at the player to quickly instead of just gradually throwing everything into chaos, which I personally at least feel hurts the overall narrative. The slower pace of the early game is great for getting to know this small town and its colorful cast of inhabitants, but about as soon as you find your bearings, there's a magic storm and people die left and right, when there really needed to be more time to get to know them, and especially to deepen some relationships that are, sadly, very underdeveloped by the end of the game when it becomes more and more clear just how important they actually are to what's going on. Characters also sort of lose their humanity and instead become plot points, making it more difficult to really feel much about their fates, and also their deeper roles as pseudo-catalyzers for the story.

Gameplay is also... I don't know, I do like the item collecting and puzzling, both never being particularly difficult at all, but at least requiring some thought and giving at least a bit of challenge to the game and are pretty clever in what they want you to do and leading you down the right path with pretty good subtlety (though sometimes also saying outright what you need to do; those puzzles are pretty bad, admittedly.) My issue here, though, have to do with how they work narratively, or rather how they just don't. See, Atma has this red book he can use to dive into people's minds and sort of reprogram them by either giving them items or solving some abstract puzzle to change their id, or whatever it's meant to be, and that's a pretty cool concept, but there are two main issues I have with this, one just being how you're this nice guy, but also someone who has no issues to change someone's personality (usually in positive ways, but still without their consent) to, like, get a cake or some other minor thing, and even when it's brought up that this might not be the best thing to do, Atma keeps on doing it, even when seeing how it has negative effects on folks later in the game. It's a moral dilemma that's never adressed in a satisfying way, and unlike a game like Persona 5 where you change the hearts of people that are cartoonishly evil, this is usually just done to ordinary people, and that psychic assault is something that I'm just not comfortable with, personally.

There also just aren't any clear rules to how this red book works. It's just magic, and it just leads to very video game-y puzzles inside people that vary a whole lot in how they're supposed to be solved (go into the right doors, get the right items, say the right things, do an Ace Attorney-styled trial (though very much not of Ace Attorney quality) etc.), and it is probably nitpicky, but in such a narrative focused game, this inconsistency just to make gameplay feel more varied takes me out of it whenever I dive into to someone. It stops being a story, and instead becomes pure video game, instead of combining the two, as it does so well in the real world of the game. Sort of makes me think of Psychonauts which does similar things, but while people's minds are different, which makes sense, it still remains within the platformer genre and there is a consistency to how you complete the levels, even if the objectives can be similar, and it ties into that game's story. There're also QTE parts to this game whenever Atma gets into a fight, by the way. They work well enough, being neither particularly good nor bad, so not much to say about those.

What really saves A Space for the Unbound, though, is the relationship between Atma and Raya, which is absolutely fantastic, and the core of which combined with the mystery of the entire thing leads to what honestly might be this entire year's strongest final act (outside of Tears of the Kingdom, obviously.) It does certainly move away from mostly logical (or at least trying to be) writing of earlier parts of the game to becoming more of a Makoto Shinkai movie (i.e. it speaks to the heart rather than the mind), but it works in this case since these two characters have become so well known to the player throughout the game, and are also so well written that I care for them enough, and the predicament they're both in is so good, that I buy what's going on because I care so much by this point that I want to buy it, even if a lot of it doesn't really make sense if you think about it too much. It's about 200% pathos, and it works flawlessly, right up until the bittersweet ending that I absolutely loved. For all the flaws I had with some of the writing up until this point, it must be said that only pretty masterful storytelling could make this work, and maybe some sacrifices had to be made in other departments to make Atma and Raya such fantastic characters that they could carry the climax in a such a strong way.

It's still really annoying that some parts of A Space for the Unbound just don't work for me, though because I really want to love the whole thing, but the annoyances are just to frequent for a the vast majority of the game. I still greatly enjoyed my time with it overall, but I'm stopped from really putting it up there as some classic indie game. Which is fine, of course. Not every game has to be this great masterpiece, but it's just that it's so close to greatness, but trips over itself time and time again during most of the game. The final act is probably a 5/5 to me, but the road there is just too bumpy for A Space for the Unbound to overall reach that 4/5 (though if I didn't use decimals in my grades, it would certainly be more 4 than 3).

Beautiful pixel art throughout by the way, but anyone with eyes can see that without me telling them.

Soundtrack highlight:
Within the Dream

Yk8P0up.jpg

32. July 20th | Twisted Metal | Playstation 5 | 6h |
This is garbage.

Soundtrack highlight:
Rooftop Battle

ykbr04Q.jpg

33. July 23rd | Street Fighter 6 | Playstation 5 | 55h | ☆☆☆½

Almost feels like cheating including this in my July completions, because I'm counting World Tour here for completion (though the playtime counts for all playmodes in SF6; I think WT took about 20 hours, maybe?), and I did almost all of it in June, so literally all I did this month was winning the final tournament and defeating the final boss.

Anyway, this is maybe the best fighting game I've ever played, and by far the most time I've spent on one not with the words Super, Smash, or Bros. in its name. It's accessible, but deep, it controls extremely well, the new drive mechanics are such clever things to be used both by high-level players, but they can also be used by extreme rookies like myself to even the odds a bit when needed since they really don't require any skill to actually pull off other than knowing what button on the controller does what. Overall gamefeel is actually very good, with controls feeling extremely smooth (though in Street Fighter tradition, pulling of cancels and doing combos require some extremely tight timing), character animations giving real flair to the action, and feedback on succesful hits to the opponent is extremely satisfying. Like, you really feel it when an attack connects, and that's super impressive considering how fast paced fights still are.

The main mode I've been playing is probably Battle Hub, one of the most fun times I've had, like, ever with an online mode in a game, and even though I've spent most of my time there losing to people far above my skills, it's still so nice and casual that it doesn't really matter that much and I'm still having a great time learning and facing people in a casual matter (except for a few people who can't stand losing and have to be, uh, not very nice in the open chat, but that'll always be the case no matter the game.) Even when I feel like I've had enough of that, I can just go to one of the arcade machines to play some of Capcom's classic arcade games which are, to be completely honest, more often than not complete garbage games, but it's still so fun that they're there, and since there's a pool of games that get switched out between each other, I still did have good days where I could play games like Street Fighter Alpha 2 and Final Fight (which is a very good game, though one I'm very bad at.) Avatar and extreme battles are fun as well, though maybe better in concept than execution since they're both pretty dead most of the time, unfortunately, and the only avatars open to battle are usually people at, like, level 99 so it's usually not worth even trying for me.

Fighting Ground is a little bit of everything. Arcade mode, training, character guides, combo trials ranked; the basics of a modern fighting game, I guess. Arcade mode is pretty fun, though it feels a bit barebones storywise. I've beaten it with Cammy, Marisa, Juri and Manon, and 1CC'd hard mode with Cammy which honestly felt easier than normal in SF4, so maybe it could be tuned up a bit, but it's really not the main single player attraction any more, so I get why it feels a bit less substantial and challenging than before (or maybe I'm just... better than before? Probably a combination of both tbh.) Training mode isn't really for me since I historically always get bored with it, which is probably also why I've never gotten particularly good at any fighting game, but the character guides are extremely good for those who really want a deep dive into a character, as are the combo trials. I guess I've enjoyed my time ranking up my Cammy (I chose her because new design is really cool. I'm extremely basic when choosing a main in a fighting game, okay?) in ranked battles as well, but I'm not really that interested in the competetive aspect of video games, so it's not really for me. Nothing wrong with it as far as I can tell, though!

World Tour is... well, it's a good idea, I guess, and it starts out a lot of fun, but it's just too long. Creating an avatar in the surprisingly deep character creator is a lot of fun (even if I mainly created a monster with my Micolash (who is, of course, named after the Host of the Nightmare himself, and what I usually name my avatars, for some reason)), and getting to know the different Street Fighters is an absolute joy throughout, but the constant fighting just starts taking a toll after a while, and the story is complete garbage that there's way too much of. I don't even think it works all that well as a tutorial since even though it does try to teach you the game's different mechanics and how to fight different types of fighter, you can usually just brute force everything if you want to through level grinding or using stat enhancing items (or even healing yourself mid-battle.) I don't hate World Tour, most of it I don't even dislike, but it is very clearly the weakest part of an otherwise GOTY quality package. Also super weird how it seemingly doesn't have an ending? I don't know, maybe there's more story after the credits, but if not, they almost cut to black mid-scene after the final boss is defeated. Even as a hater of the story, I sort of hope something more gets added in the future.

Just so as to not end on a downer on this game: I love Street Fighter 6. I'm not going to be playing it every day for the next couple of years, but it is one of those games that I'm not going to delete from my PS5 either, because I know that I will get that desire to jump into it again occasionally to experience the greatness that is its gameplay and maybe try out other characters that look like fun (spoiler alert: everyone who's not a charge character is fun.) I have never before in my life paid full price for a fighting game before SF6 and I don't know what other would make me do so in the future, but in no way do I regret my decision here. Just a masterclass in fighting game design.

Oh, and I should also put the soundtrack discourse to rest once and for all. It's actually extremely good and fits the game perfectly, and everyone who says otherwise is either a) boring, or b) can't stand any piece of music that isn't super melodic, which is just not a good way to live life to its fullest. These are not my opinions, by the way, but objective facts, so you can try to argue it as much as you'd like against it, but that'd be like saying 1+1 does not =2, and that's just foolish.

Soundtrack highlight:
Overtrip

nTpjYZt.jpg

34. July 25th | Lost Judgment + The Kaito Files | Playstation 5 | 95h | ☆☆☆

I keep going through the RGG games, hoping I will one day actually be up do date with their releases. I began in January of 2018 with 0, and even though I do get closer, it feels like I'll alway be a bit behind. Just this year we've gotten Ishiin, and in November Gaiden, with Y8 releasing next year, and I still haven't even played 7 yet!!! If that wasn't enough, Kurohyou on the PSP just got a complete English fan translation, so I'm going to have to play that one as well! I love these games, don't get me wrong, but it's pretty insane how many there are, and the sheer amount of content that's in all of them (though I can really only blame my own sick mind for going for 100% in all of them.)

Anyway, Lost judgment. I replayed Judgment last year and found myself a bit disappointed by it. Its main story is still fantastic, but there's too many mandatory side cases sprinkled throughout, the combat really doesn't feel particularly good (and the crane style is actually useless), the detective mechanics are not very interesting, and the Keihin gang is maybe the worst gameplay mechaninc this godforsaken studio have ever put in one of their games, and that's coming from me, someone who's gotten all the completion points for both cat fights in 0, and the, uh, sexy bug fights (or whatever the name of that mini-game was) in Kiwami.

Right off the bat, Lost Judgment just plays so much better than its predecessor. Yagami feels so much more fluid in his movements, and all the styles you get are actually useful and serve a purpose depending on the fight (even crane this time, which honestly borders on broken with how you can speed up Yagami's attacks simply by dodging enemies, and the effect lasts for a good while, even when switching to a different style), but they're also just so much fun that all of them can work whenever if you want to. Like, I mostly used crane and DLC style, boxing (which is almost criminally fun to use, though with an extremely short range), but I never had a bad time when switching to Tiger or the new Snake style either. They all bring something to the table and their own little gimmicks which keeps the very frequent fighting from ever getting stale, because you can just switch it up with new attacks whenever you feel like one style has run its course for a while. Honestly, it's not just an improvement over Judgment, but just plain the best and most fun battles I've had in any of the Yakuza games, even 0 and Kiwami that also had instant style switching.

The story is certainly not as well paced as the previous game's, but that's mostly because it reveals all of its cards way too early, so the final handful chapters are mostly about running in circles, taking a very slow route to the finale that is in many ways strangely similar to Judgments in a lot of ways, which does make it a bit less interesting despite a lot of very cool shit happening, and maybe the longest long fight RGG studio has ever made (though I do want to say Kiryu's in 4 is very long as well, but it's been a while since I played that.) It definitely has the most enemies to fight, at least.

Up until everything is revealed, I do really enjoy Lost Judgment's case, and it's fun to have a victim that seems to have been hated by basically everyone, so the murderer really could be any of the game's cast (though also obviously can't, since this is an RGG game, which means it's someone the player believably has to have a tough fight against), and at least from the start, new hints and details unfold at a good pace. Unlike the first game, the murderer's identity feels like it works and is very much baked into the whole plo, while the character themself is also well written and not just a complete madman. Very much an improvement over the first game where it felt more like the developers ran out of characters that could possibly be the murderer and just put names in a hat to choose who it'd be, and the chosen character is extremely bland. There're also a lot of good misdirections here, but also misdirections on top of other misdirections, really keeping me on my toes to really keep up with everything and all the different characters agendas and how they all connect (though it's not at all confusing, unlike, say, what Yakuza 5 becomes by the end).

Characters, by the way, that I really enjoyed! I mean, I usually like most of these games' characters, and they certainly do what the came to do: to have a lot of strong emotions about things, do cool shit, and occasionally be surprisingly funny. It is sort of a shame that some of the characters from Judgment are barely in this, and Mafuyu, who was one of the main characters in that game, has barely any screentime this time. The new characters are really compelling, though, and even unapologetically evil characters like Soma do have their interesting quirks that make them memorable outside of just having good fights, and the allies all get super fun interactions with Yagami (massive shout-out to Higashi). Speaking of good fights, though, some of the entire franchise's best boss fights are found within these games, thanks to not only Yagami's great moveset, but theirs as well. Their high quality is also not hurt at all by how EXTREMELY good the different boss themes are, by the way. Really impressive how varied the themes are, too, and how well they fit their characters, like K.O.G and Viper.

Though, like I said, the mystery is completely solved with maybe four, or maybe even more, chapters left of the game, and that is a pretty big knock against Lost Judgment, especially since the core mystery actually is very good until it unravels, and not in a particularly satisfying way, but more in a "wow, Yagami really guessed his way to the correct answer, and this murder feels a bit sloppy in execution", at the same time as characters act a bit out of, well, character, and seem extremely easily persuaded. The journey there was fun, but the destination leaves a whole lot to be desired.

Lucky, then, that the main side content in this game is the better story, and is absolutely massive in content as well. You see, Yagami becomes advisor to a school's mystery club, but their investigation into an online criminal calling themselves the Professor leads to him joining so many different clubs, and they don't all just have their own mini-game (most of them also surprisingly in-depth mini-games), but every club has its own littel story, and they're almost all extremely funny. Comedy in games is maybe the hardest thing to pull off, and every game, except for maybe Yakuza 1 (more on that game in the August update!), have some really good comedy writing in some side missions, but this is such a high volume of jokes throughout, and still with such a high rate of hits that I can just sit here impressed by what's been done. There are serious moments here as well, and they're good, as is the overarching Professor story, but not quite AS good as the humor. Yagami also gets a detective dog during his time as advisor, which is just great.

As for the mini-games you play in these different clubs, they're mostly fine. Of course, there's boring garbage like the motorcycling races that should just have been a reskin of Yakuza 5's taxi races instead, but also the dancing mini-game that I would not complain if it got its own spin-off, but the other ones are mostly just there, neither good nor bad. It's mostly the writing that carries the experience with them, and it usually worked really well for me, but I certainly can't guarantee that it does for others, so your mileage may vary here, since it can certainly be pretty Anime™. One man's treasure is another's man's trash, as they say.

Anyway, a fine game and I really hope we'll get a Judgment 3 one day. The detective mechanics still aren't good, by the way, though luckily pretty rare this time around.

Soundtrack highlight:
Dig in Your Heels

Oh right, I played through the Kaito Files as well.

OZf7eIk.jpg

I don't have much to say about this, to be honest. It's short, it's pretty fun, Kaito was fun character in the base game and he is here as well, showing that he can definitely carry his own story. Still, this does have quite a few flaws despite being a good time. Kaito's battle styles, that are basically Kiryu's Brawler and Beast, are decent, but don't really come close to the fun I had with Yagami's styles, and the mystery is basically explained through two extremely long exposition dumps (think that entire, awful chapter with the senator in Yakuza 3, but slightly better handled and more than once), and the main villain turns out to be not only "Soma, but much less hot", but he's also so 11/10 evil that it's impossible to take him seriously in any way (though he does get some cool villain moments), which is strange since his main lackey, Kenmochi, is a layered and really interesting character whose archetype has never been seen in any RGG game as far as I can remember. Also really unfortunate that the final boss ends up being so dumb, and basically an incel power fantasy, but it is what it is.

So yeah, it's certainly not fantastic, but also don't think that it's really bad just because I spent an entire paragraph complaining about. It's got a nice, short length with a story that suits the runtime, and has some very good moments and a couple of fun new characters (that may stick around for future games even!). I also do want to stress that Kaito not being as fun to play as Yagami does not mean his combat is bad or even boring. It's just a bit more basic and to the point. Anyway, I bought the season pass, which includes the Kaito Files, for LJ because of a super deep discount back in February (which is actually when I also started playing the game. It took me a while to beat it, I guess), and it was certainly worth it at that very cheap price for the boxing style and Kaito files alone, but at full price? I probably wouldn't recommend it then.

Oh yeah, I also have to mention that I bought a German copy of Lost Judgment by accident. The game itself is still in English so not really a big deal and it was very cheap, but it's insane how much space the German ratings board's rating for the game takes up on the cover! Also bizarre that both it AND the PEGI rating are slapped on there. Feels like one or the other should be enough, especially since they have different ratings for the game (PEGI 18 and USK 16, surprisingly enough.)

Soundtrack highlight:
Behind the Scheme

E0UdCih.jpg

35. July 30th | Metroid: Samus Returns | Nintendo 3DS | 9h 42m | ☆☆☆

Forgive me lord, for I think I might have written a way too long July update, but we are here at the final game at last, and it's Metroid: Samus Returns! I bought a lot of physical 3DS games last year ahead of the Eshop shutting down and probably hiking up the prices a whole lot (which hasn't really happened yet, but it's most certainly coming eventually). Not so I could sell them later down the road, of course, but because I wanted to own them and not have to pay a criminal amount of money for them. Samus Returns was, obviously, one of these games.

Now, I haven't played Metroid: Other M or beaten Fusion, but of the 2d Metroid games, Metroid II: Return of Samus is by far my least favorite, and probably the only one I wouldn't classify as at least "good", with its corridors that all look exactly the same on the monochrome game boy, and gameplay loop that just revolves around finding Metroid and fight the same fight against them over and over again until you can arbitrarily move on down to the next area that usually looks about the same as the previous one. I know the game has its fans, but I'm certainly not one of them and having replayed a bit of it after beating Samus Returns, I'm pretty sure I never will be.

Samus Returns is obviously a remake of Metroid II, and it does certainly improve on things. Maybe it loses a bit in atmosphere since the planet here feels a lot more alive and less claustrophobic, but everything else is just a complete upgrade to me. Not that it suddenly becomes something great still, but good enough to be a mostly fun time. I still don't like the gameplay loop, and in some ways it's gotten even more annoying, with one type of Metroid having a bad habit of escaping into other rooms mid-fight (and I know they can be killed before that, but it's very difficult on a first playthrough), but the fights themselves are at least a bit more exciting than on the game boy and require a bit more from the player since Samus is kind of a glass cannon in this game.

I also like how much more of a unique identity every zone now has, but the map layout (which I'd assume is about 90% original, but I honestly don't have any idea) isn't the most interesting, with a lot of large rooms with not much in them, and fast travel teleports are often placed in really annoying locations. Still, I enjoy all the puzzles for power-ups spread throughout, and really like the MercurySteam approach of not making them hard to find like in a lot of previous games where it was a lot of just shooting at random blocks, but instead showing the items clearly and making the puzzle of actually getting to them the real challenge. They certainly did it better in Dread (though they did everything better in Dread tbf), but it's still a lot of fun here. Not a big fan of the game keeping the spider boost a secret mechanic, though.

Anything else to say about Metroid Returns? Not really. I guess I like the new bosses, but just like the puzzles, they are somewhat diminished by Dread just doing boss fights better, and a little less trial and error than they can feel like here. I really like the final boss, though. It is kind of a Necron (of Final Fantasy IX fame) moment, but still a lot of fun, and really demands that the player has understood everything the game has taught them up to this point. The Metroid Queen was less annoying in the original game, but the fight is certainly more interesting here, so I don't really know which one I prefer, and I also don't really know why I'm even mentioning it here.

The music is fine. The 3D effects are underwhelming (though to be fair, that's the case in most 3DS games, unfortunately). I guess that's all?

Soundtrack highlight:
The Surface of SR388

Currently playing:
Sea of Stars (PS5)
(Very soon starting) Baldur's Gate 3 (PS5)

RedShift

Oct 27, 2017
August update: week 35. Games complete: 46
Main post
mural.png

40. Spec Ops: The Line (Steam Deck)

Finally got around to this, it's pretty awesome. The plot is obviously the real show stealer here, it definitely subverts what you'd expect from a typical military shooter. That scene at the midpoint really is pretty harrowing, and the ending was satisfying. Gameplay wise it was pretty fun, I liked the sand mechanics. Playing on Deck with Gyro controls was great, felt so satisfying tweaking my aim to get headshots.

41. Pikmin 2 (Switch)

Giving this another go, as last time I played it I was kinda depressed and abandoned it after repaying the debt. This time I've gone for all treasures, and… I still think it's disappointing. I feel like everything I loved from the first game was either downplayed or removed, and the new concepts are really disappointing. The caves just… aren't very fun, and I have no idea why they decided to procedurally generate them. As for the overworld areas, there are only 4 of them and 3 are reused from the first game. I'm hopeful Pikmin 4 has taken an approach to the same concept that I'll like more, but I'm worried. I think this might actually be my least favourite internally developed Nintendo game?

42. South Park: The Stick of Truth (90% Steam Deck, 10% PC)

Actually pretty fun RPG that gave me classic Paper Mario vibes. It's been a long time since I've watched the show and I don't feel that crazy about a lot of South Park's humour and attempts at satire these days, but it did get a fair few chuckles out of me. Visually it pretty much nails looking like an episode of the show - I'd keep thinking cutscenes must be preanimated and then my custom character would show up in them. Worth grabbing if you're in any way tolerant of the show and haven't played it yet.

43. Oxenfree II: Lost Signals (Steam Deck)

I only played the first game a few months ago, so didn't have the long wait most did. I thought this was great, definitely a bit more polish than the first game, and the switch from teen angst to 30s melancholy was cool (maybe because I'm in my 30s). As with the first game the great conversation system means it never feels like "just" a walking simulator. Definitely recommend picking up for anyone who's played the first game.

44. Bioshock (Steam Deck)

Another game I bought on sale almost a decade ago and never quite got into, aka perfect Deck fodder. I still don't fully enjoy the gameplay to be honest, but the setting of Rapture is staggeringly good. Really good atmosphere.

45. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (80% PC, 20% Steam Deck)

Ironically I waited for ages to play this for the next gen patch to come out… only to turn it back to DirectX11 mode because it genuinely looks much, much better than the messy next gen version. Ah well. As for the game itself - it's pretty good isn't it. I have a few gripes with it - the combat feels a bit floaty to me, and Roach is probably the buggiest and worst controlling horse I've ever ridden in a videogame. But being immersed in the amazing world, lore, and the actually engaging plot more than makes up for it. Novigrad in particular is the best medieval fantasy city I've played in a game, and everything in the endgame was just great.

46. Pikmin 3 Deluxe (Switch)

Giving this a go in single player after me and my partner's co-op playthrough stalled due to disagreements about what were acceptable losses in battle. Game is such a relief after Pikmin 2, so glad to be rid of the proc genned caves. The Koppai crew are really nicely characterised, and the addition of 'Go Here' makes multitasking between the three characters work really well. The new focus on boss fights is cool as well. Also, how does this game look so damn good? I don't think I could pick between this game and the first, they're both just great.

Final stretch now. I've got my last 6 games lined up, assuming I don't drop any of them.

Neto

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
The Resetera's Game Blitz Challenge has been helping me a lot with keeping the purchases on check and finishing the games I buy and own. So I've been making a steady progress in dealing with my backlog.

Here are the games I've finished this year so far. I've written small impressions on most of them in the challenge thread, so I wont repost it here.

Red Dead Redemption 2, Stray, Metal: Hellsinger, Inscryption, Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, Her Story, Nier: Automata, Birth, Black Mesa
KBzWb8e.jpg

Middle Earth: Shadow of War, Aperture Desk Job, Age of Empires IV, Fights in Thight Spaces, Untitled Goose Game
God of War, Islets, Sable, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, A Short Hike
xLzkiB8.jpg

Pineaple on Pizza, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Impostor Factory, 198X, Yakuza 0
Far: Changing Tides, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, Superflight, Diablo IV, The Case of the Golden Idol
HXQbjKz.jpg

When the Past was Around, Katana Zero, Fallout: New Vegas, Stacklands, Thomas was Alone
The Beginner's Guide, Depression Quest, Unpacking, Elden Ring, Sayonara Wild Hearts
SGmoqmP.jpg

Metal Slug 3, Icey
hhX3gQ5.jpg

Ganepark32

Nov 21, 2021
Bit late with my August update, and the start of my September one, but with some bigger games having dropped things have slowed a little. Up to 80 now, the 100 is still on but it'll get a little harder with some of the big games dropping now and in the coming weeks.

72. Venba (XSS) - August 2nd
Another fantastic addition to Gamepass. Say what you will about the service and it not managing to maintain a steady stream of AAA titles but the Gamepass team have been great in getting some unique and just really great indie titles on the service and Venba is another such title. While brevity may be an issue for some, I thought the concise nature of the game really helped relay the tone of the narrative well. I found it engaging and despite not being in an immigrant in a new country, I could easily empathise with the struggle of being in a strange city and that feeling of being all alone, especially after a loss in your life. The struggles of the titular Venba trying to remain true to her Tamil roots in a country that is alien to her, raising a child who is increasingly detached from said culture, it was all painstakingly portrayed in a meaningful and emotive way that I thought was touching.

The cooking itself was also handled well and though it would have been easy to have wished for more, what was there gave enough variety and helped accentuate the narrative beats well. It's certainly a game that left me feeling hungry.

Well worth a play through if you're subbed to Gamepass or not. Play it, enjoy it and experience what I'd say is one of the best indies this year.

73. Rytmos (NS) - August 2nd
I'd been keeping an eye on this one as I knew it was supposed to come to Android but when the launch date passed and it only appeared on Apple devices, I thought this would be another case of it just not happening. Was happy to see it did make it, but with little to no fanfare. Enjoyed my time with it, exploring different musical styles and instruments from around the world. The developers did a great job of just letting the music sell those aspects itself and it was great to play through small puzzles centred around different styles of music or different instruments and hearing the music evolve. Simple in premise but really nicely done, it worked great on a touch screen phone. I know it's available on PC and Switch so if you're interested in different styles of music, it's worth a look.

74. Portal (XSS) - August 5th
An obligatory replay of one of my favourite first person puzzle titles. I just really wanted to sit down and replay and so I did, thanks to having The Orange Box in my Xbox library and it being backwards compatible. Even after having played through it so many times over the years, the game is still fantastic, Glados is one of the best characters written in the medium and it's just so much fun to play through. An all time great.

75. Human Fall Flat (PS5) - August 8th
I was perusing the library on my PS5 and saw that I hadn't claimed the free upgrade to the PS5 version of this. I'd already platinumed the PS4 version years back now but felt like playing through it again and still remembered many of the shortcuts through the core levels which meant I made short work of the game. It's a fun romp with some wonky controls to contend with (wonkier than I remember them being but maybe it's just because it's been a few years since I last played). Don't know if I'll return to it again after having now completed it on PS4, PS5 and Xbox as even the new levels, while continuing to be innovative within the grand scheme of the game, don't do much for me and are sometime more convoluted than needs be.

76. Psychonauts 2 (PS5) - August 8th
Arguably the best game that Xbox has published in years (though I'd say Hi-Fi Rush is very close), I picked this up late last year when it was on sale on my PS5 but really sat down to play through it from July onwards. It's a game I completed and loved every second of when it released on Xbox Series S and although there not being a native PS5 version sucks, it's still a beautiful game with the unlocked frame rate of the PS4 version running on PS5.

And even with it being second time through, the game was still every bit as good as it was on release. It's a fantastic experience from Tim Schafer and the team at Double Fine and in the wake of the Psychodyssey documentary series, it's even more incredible that they managed to bring the game together and that it turned out as well as it did. It's bright and colourful visually and that perfectly juxtaposes the at times deeply dark story elements happening. From a medical casino where a couple are trying desperately to get a child purely for status to a cooking show where the judges are incredibly harsh to a psychedelic journey through the sights and sounds of a lost soul, the game is endlessly creative in every aspect. Even the simplest thing like going up the elevator brings a smile with its "Scanning for Thinkerprint" line.

It's just a fantastic game through and through and while I maybe found myself struggling to manage the psychic powers a bit more this time and having to swap theme in an out a bit more, it didn't dampen the experience. It's games like this that make me excited for whatever Double Fine are working on next. Their track record is full of hits in my eyes and even with it likely being a small title, the ingenuity and creativity that the studio brings to the table is something I love. It's why Psychonauts 2 is brilliant.

77. Stray (XSS) - August 20th
Another replay, this time of a game from last year. I wasn't originally going to pick up the Xbox version when it launched but decided why the hell not. I really liked the game last year and I still think it's a great experience. Sure, playing on Series S meant that the resolution was a bit softer and that some things were a little more washed out but this was still the same great experience and I just enjoyed my journey through the City and surrounding areas. I didn't have any of the bother of some of the sewer sections this time, but that's probably owing to having completed it a year previous. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but for me, I really enjoyed the game and happy to own it now after playing through PS+ last year. Might end up being a game that falls into my yearly rotation with the likes of the Mirror's Edge games and A Short Hike, I'll see. But glad to be reminded of the experience once again.

78. Depanneur Nocturne (PC/Steam) - August 23rd
A short experience I remember sitting on my Steam wishlist for years. Grabbed it a couple of weeks ago when it was on sale and gave it a run through. It's a simple experience, where your character ducks into the only open store to get out of the rain but also to pick a gift for your partner who has been busy working nights. There's not a huge amount to it and even with opening up the other area for some of the stranger gifts didn't really add a huge amount more to it. It was enough to go through it the once for me, taking my time with it, but that was it.

79. A Little To The Left (NS) - August 28th
Another game that I'd had sitting on a wishlist, this time on my Switch, for a while. It was on sale so finally grabbed it as something chill to play to tide me over till Starfield and it did just that. A simple game about organising things in particular orders, or in some cases unique orders. It plays well and finding some of the unique arrangements to get the remaining stars in some levels was fun as it made you think out the box. But generally, I grabbed it in the hopes of it being chill and it was exactly that, allowing me to catch up with a few podcasts on as I organised things. Really lovely little game though, loved the visuals and had worried the inclusion of the cat messing up things would irritate but I found it to be anything but. Now to buy the DLC and chill out some more with it.

80. The Shape Of Things (NS) - September 4th
Released just last week before Starfield launched, I liked the look of this one having seen it in a Wholesome Direct I believe and so was looking forward to sitting down with it on Switch after it launched on PC earlier this year. Unfortunately, unlike A Little To The Left, I didn't find myself enjoying this one as much because of the fiddliness of the gameplay and the controls not being as precise as I'd wanted. You go through small themed vignettes twisting, sliding and shrinking parts of objects together to collect stars that allow you to purchase your next themed set of levels and while the general set up is fine, it is in the arrranging of the items that things fall apart. Each item is split into sections you switch between with the shoulder buttons but each section will ask you to do a different task with the right stick. So each time you change layer you'll have to remember that when you were rotating in the previous one, you'll now be enlarging or possibly sliding items. It gets a bit confusing and it's something that maybe incorporating touch screen controls into would have helped alleviate some of these issues. But without them and the game wanting you to be very precise in lining things up across each of the sections and different rules, it just gets a bit cumbersome and as such, I didn't enjoy it as much as I'd have liked. A shame really.

Main Post

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
43. Control ★★★

Somehow I've managed to avoid playing any games by Remedy, so I looked to finally remedy that situation…*cough*

I can safely say that Control is a good game, it's just not quite what I hoped for given its promising early game and sorta cult classic (or is it more just modern classic?) status.
Control gets by well on its conceptual basis in both gameplay and narrative. We've got a transforming gun, gradual escalation of basically having superpowers, dropped into a metroidvania like gameplay template that takes place in an enigmatic corporate setting of "FBI but paranormal and just plain bloomin' weird".
It may take place in " the oldest house" but those are strong foundations to work with. The early game gets to quickfire a bunch of transforming types for your core service revolver, start dripping in the psychokinetic powers to complement the gunplay, while scattering all sorts of logs, lore and even live action recordings to create intrigue about the game's scenario.

And then it unfortunately never really evolves or improves upon what the game sets up.
The gunplay? Serviceable, but limited in options, with half of the options like the spinner and piercer being pretty unsatisfying for me to use. The enemy lineup looks like it might be quite expansive but then that too quickly dries up leading to the game just increasing the sponge factor of your foes to ramp combat scenarios up. The psychokinesis powers are nice enough, yet I couldn't shake that the launch function in basically just another type of projectile to use alongside the gun (albeit one with some interesting dynamics), levitation is basically a slow float though I do dig earning a ground pound slam as a follow up, the shield I barely touched as it seemed to require pouring in a lot of skill tree points to make the move more actively useful in combat.
In general I think the aforementioned skill tree does the game's combat a bit dirty, because the more spicy upgrades and all optional and quite spaced apart requiring a fair bit of investment, the combat loop can't really dig into their uses.

On top of that, I have a pet hate for what I call uncharted style encounter design that of course escalates in intensity late game, where your character is brittle and enemy waves tend to spawn in mid combat with surprisingly little fanfare meaning that you can be absolutely smashing it, only for one goon to have materialised behind you without warning and conking you once, which is enough to slap you to critical health. And here without a proper cover system and health regain dependant on how many dead enemies are lying around, or if you can quickly clean some up, sometimes it just reeks of that rich creamy bullshit where death feels blindsiding and undeserved.

Interestingly, the scramble to survive while zipping about with dashes and scooping up health sustenance from the recently deceased is almost like the 2019 prototype edition of 2020's Doom Eternal combat loop, except y'know, just not nearly as varied, interesting or reliable in execution.
Metroidvania like elements are a bit mixed, the game mostly segments its map into zones so there's not much sense of getting intimate (phwoar) with the map layout, actually the in game map is one of the worst I've experienced that frequently just makes pathfinding more confusing. Yet I almost feel that's intentional because to contrast this, the in game signposting (like, literally office building signposting) works really well as if they wanted the player to figure out where departments were via following signage and the map being more for the broad strokes of layout, considering the game mostly avoids following explicit markers and guidance (a bold choice, but one I grew to appreciate outside the dang "shoot the mould" sidequests).

Really if there's an area that the metroidvania aspect falls kinda flat, it's simply that the rewards for exploring are almost always this half baked loot system where the game tosses a random equipment slot item at you like "13% to accuracy when doing the Charleston", mostly fluff then until the late game where you can at least pool together a bunch that make my shotgun form of the service revolver a powderkeg of armour shattering pellets.
And that might explain some of the spongier late game encounters, to incentivise actually tackling the game's sidequests so that the unfortunately rudimentary or repeated boss encounters can actually die sometime within the next calendar year.
Actually let's note the sidequests here because outside my "where's that damn fourth mould spot?!" woes, this game does sidequests pretty well. A lot of optional encounters, unique bosses and map areas entirely tucked away, almost doing the game a minor disservice (you couldn't maybe move some of these bosses into the main game instead of floaty hiss man 3.0?)

I wish I had more to say about the level design which really just serves to be a few varied combat encounter rooms with the occasional "throw battery crate into battery hole" downtime, perhaps the odd environmental puzzle here and there, it's otherwise fairly standard. Which is to say, that yes, I must come clean and say that era's absolute fave "the ashtray maze" left me wanting, year (I mean YEARS) of era hype for this segment without me spoiling myself as to what it was had me envision the game finally leaning into those metroidvania trappings in a twisty, trippy manner. And indeed I was half right, it's trippy yes, it's also a maze in name only, it's really just a cool audio-visual linear set piece, leaving me at a pretty muted "oh, that's it? Well the music sure was a surprise I guess!"

You may have noticed that I've neglected to mention the story, I've picked up oodles of documents, a comical level of abandoned lore tidbits that passes the point of saturation not even halfway through, tell don't show says Control, unless you're showing Dr Casper Darling in a video that still is all about telling via the medium of showing. So I'll just be blunt here, the concept is strong, what the game does with it all in the main story is disappointingly standard and I went from actively giving the many files a good read to "I'm so sorry for the horrible things I've done, you'll find the severed penises under…ahh I don't care" *balls up paper and chucks it* (I wonder who even gets this reference?)

Control strikes me as a good first swing at a franchise, psychic power fuelled third person shooter in an expansive map has all the makings of a quality title, there just needed to be more going on for me beyond its opening hours, I'm not sure where this puts me an my curiosity towards the upcoming Alan Wake 2, I suppose ultimately I see what people like in Remedy's work, I also see why they've kinda hovered in a perpetual 8/10 glass ceiling land.

44. Sonic Triple Trouble 16 bit ★★★

Oh hey, I actually played this well over a month ago now and just kinda forgot
Not because it was bad mind you, it's just a quick single sitting blitz one Sunday afternoon as I recall.
See when this fanmade remake of a game gear (not quite) classic first released itself finished to the public earlier this year, I was still in my throes of post Sonic Frontiers anguish.

Anyone remember that one penny arcade comic for Nintendo's 2009 E3 with the vitality sensor "Nintendo is dead to me!" followed by the immediate joy of "and now a new Metroid game by team ninja"? no this isn't to point out how unfortunate that last panel turned out seeing what Metroid by Team Ninja ended up being, but that if you replace Vitality Sensor with me finishing Sonic Frontiers, sonic is dead to me…and now a new classic sonic game in 2D by Arzest, wait scratch that last part.
Oh my Sonic joy is tentatively back, and thus I finally felt like I could check out the triple trouble remake without pouting my way through.
Granted there's not much to say about Triple Trouble, it and its not quite as good predecessor Sonic Chaos blur together for me, TT is mainly remembered because it has that one train bit in the second zone with the one music track you might actually recall, and really that's about it for me.
So if I were to try and compare and contrast this enhanced fan remake to the original, It's more like "well the level design might be expanded? I think it is? But I have no idea how much of the core level design is still here".

Instead it seems best to focus on what I know is new, or newish. The game looks at the way S3&K tried to connect its zones together in a cohesive flowing manner and goes full commitment to the bit, and it's very cool, helping the game feel like an adventure with a clear through line where sonic doesn't just pop from one biome into another. Even adding a new mid game zone with an Egg Zeppelin to bridge a gap in snazzy fashion.

Elsewhere some bosses are amped up (I was almost disappointed that the game's first boss didn't keep his complete jobberiiffic state tbh, but I suppose this is better), new level gimmicks are added or fleshed out, the game's rocket boots are now their own segments instead of a quirky but often ill fitting in game power up to careen into a wall with, and hot damn they even went and made pseudo 3D sections for snowboarding and bonus stages.
All in all an impressive upgrade in service of an otherwise very missable Sonic title, one for the fans only really and it's not about to unseat 3 or Mania in my classic…classics, just a fun throwback time.

45. Mega Man The Power Battles 2 (N/R)

Oh yeah, we're BACK, and it's like kinda the same game as last time with a few more robot masters, stages, one new character and the campaign framework is shaken up a bit I suppose? Look this is basically Mega Man the Power Battles super turbo or whatever, nothing much to say that I barely said about the original.
This might be the one time I know of though where you can play as oft forgotten Mega Man robot Duo, he is big, he comes from space or something, except to be playable he is now not big, he is chibi Duo, I think he punched instead of pew pewing lemons but his charge shot was pretty bangin'
My main takeaway is I almost 1CC'd the game but Wily did what Wily does.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
158. Avengers War for Wakanda (PS5) - Usually Id not count DLC as a separate game, but considering Avengers (the story) took me 10 hours, and I put another good 20 hours into it with all the DLC after it, Im counting it lol. Ended up playing way more of it than expected, and for the most part I really enjoyed it.
The separate DLCs are good, actually Id argue they are better than most of the main game. Its so weird that some of the best moments are when you play as either Hawkeyes - the last characters I expected to have fun combat, but they do. Black Panther rocks as well, and his DLC was way more involved, ending in another good boss fight.
So all in all - the DLC chunks were excellent despite doing nothing to resolve the cliffhanger (and it'll never be resolved lol)

But... there's still stuff to complain about... The more I played the game, the more this game needs some sort of mini map or decent HUD to actually show you wherre enemies are in fights - its almost impossible to see them unless the are coming right for you. It doesnt result in cheap hits, but combat feels less fun when your not actually fighting, just looking around.

Starting the missions is moronic sometimes as you have to hit invisible level limits to spawn them. Or play on a certain day. Good luck figuring that one out, yet again you'll turn to reddit to explain something the game doesnt. The kicker is the level that's gated to certain days is like, insanely important - it wraps up a huge plot point, focuses on the cosmic cube, and is directly referenced when starting War for Wakanda.
Plus there are other missions that likewise wrap up plot points, or are unique, but the game doesnt really point you toward them... its baffling that the game wanted to be a GaaS but does such a terrible job of it.

So yeah, great combat, great story stuff, baffling layout and overall design. If it were just a straight up story lead game it'd have been much better. Its a pity the Kree side of things will never be wrapped up considering the game was pretty fun and was clearly improving with the DLCs.

Next up:

Tetris Effect VR
Runner
Rez Infinite (trophies)
Lost more VR stuff
MGS Rising
Splatterhouse (PS3)
NMH3
Bayonetta 3
Plague's Tale

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
159. Plague Tale (PS5) - Getting back to my "immediate" backlog, hoping to tick a few off before October's avalanche of games hit. Next up is the PS5 port of PT Requiem (ahead of playing the sequel) and honestly I probably loved this one more than my first run, due to adjusted expectations in the finale chapters).
The majority of the game is still excellent - fun stealth with some cool rat based puzzles, with some cool "downtime" chapters that book end the rat horror nicely. I was probably more "action" this playthrough, since there were plenty of resources, you can be a little more gung ho as long as your careful.
The end couple of chapters are still my least favourite though - the shift to more forced action doesnt work well with the weapon you have (even upgraded) and that last part with the cart getting to the cathedral is still as badly designed as ever. I think I actually got more annoyed at that than in the final boss fight (which felt easier than I remember - but again that may be adjusted expectations).
Its not perfect that's for sure but I enjoy the stealth, love the rat based stuff, and the story/characters are nicely handled. Oh, and the French dub is excellent from what I can tell, really helped sell the setting. Ive got the sequel ready to go, cant wait to jump into that next.

Next up:

Tetris Effect VR
Runner
Rez Infinite (trophies)
Lost more VR stuff
MGS Rising
Splatterhouse (PS3)
NMH3
Bayonetta 3

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
MAIN THREAD

master40.png

Quick Update:
  • Prodigal: This game is an absolute gem and quickly climbed onto my top 50 games of all time. Absolutely loved it.
  • W <3 Katamari: Its a Katamari game, if you love them, you will love this game also.
  • Jedi Survivor: Misses what made Fallen Order great and relies to heavily on Star Wars IP and larger unfocused environments.
  • Final Bar Line: Insane collection of songs included in base game that will keep you coming back for more.
  • Dragon Quest IV: JRPG comfort food. All together, it treads familiar beats but it has some great moment to moment sections.

Remember we have a discord channel if you want to discuss what you are playing and beat even further!

Memory Pak

Aug 29, 2018
aOJVdbb.png

17. DeltaZeal a.k.a. ΔZeal (2002/2023, Switch) ★★★★★
Vertical shooter initially released to Japanese arcades as G-Stream G2020, on supposedly crummy arcade hardware, and allegedly without properly paying its 3 developers. Later the lead developer got to re-release it as ΔZeal, retroactively making this the start of the Zeal franchise, which also includes XII Stag/XII Zeal, TriZeal, and ExZeal. On the surface this looks like a more intricately designed, slightly futuristic military take on Raiden Fighters, but there's enough happening under the hood to set it apart.

Its weapon system is simple, but neat: you have 10 weapon slots to fill with 3 varieties of pick-ups. Want more lasers? Grab the blue icons. Prefer missiles? Go for green, etc. This lets you either mix and match a balanced set, or go for a full set of a single colour. Doing the latter nets you extra powerful vulcans/lasers/missiles, but also means you'll have to be careful not to grab a different icon and lose a fully matching set. The devious scoring, which revolves around medal-chaining, invites you to take more risks to keep a chain going. It's further complicated by secret extra routes and branching paths, which add sections to levels if you're doing well, but simultaneously introduce more possibilities to meet an early demise.

ΔZeal feels slightly out of time, like it grazed the impact of the then-emerging bullet hell sub-genre, rather than fully absorbed it. Instead, it hews closer to Psikyo's output, or perhaps even RayForce: games which upped the speed of enemies and bullets, but still aimed them all at the player, rather than the aimless, fanning shots found in bullet hell. As a result, death comes at you quick, from places it wouldn't in other games - its contemporary developers at Cave would never allow units spawning under your sprite to point-blank kill you, but ΔZeal requires you either learn their spawn positions, or eat some cheap deaths.

There are further frictions I normally wouldn't excuse in other games: Bullet visibility isn't always great when both sides are exchanging pink fire. The game doesn't explain what triggers extra sections, or how routes branch. It won't let you practice a level before beating it in a run. In general there's a lot of ways the game punishes you, but outside of scoring it has relatively few rewards. Elsewhere these minor annoyances would add up, but here I felt oddly charmed by them. ΔZeal has a lot of secrets, and no intentions of spilling them. Instead, it's up to the player: do you want to take on more risk, or purposefully play worse to shorten levels and increase odds of survival?

I recognise my score is probably a tad higher than the ~4 stars I'd imagine this getting in consumer information style reviews. I'm absolutely choosing to either overlook or outright embrace some annoyances. ΔZeal puts me in that Guitar Hero-esque flow state, but adds much higher risk-reward wagers, and a punishing sense of danger to the affair. Its minor flaws are reduced to more variables to consider when reading the proverbial Matrix underpinning the programming, while the catchy music and hypnotically fast gameplay remain. The added developer commentary is the icing on the cake in this re-release, its text-to-speech delivery feeling rudimentary, while its contents feel more candid - which I suppose mirrors the whole game, really.

VahineCacao