Dec 7, 2017
here's something interesting for out made up rules we follow in this silly thing... if you play the same game back to back, would that count as 2 games? not even NG+, im talking just restarting a 40 hour game after you finish it, and playing it all over again because you loved it so much.

I think we dont count it right? which if you think about is kinda silly, we count 10 two hour games as 10, but we don't count the same 40 hour game twice as two, even tho time wise, you could have done 20 short games :p
I would absolutely count it, and I have currently, I had to do two playthroughs of X-Men origins Wolverine and also Uncharted 4 for their platinums and I included those.
I do also note games if they are a replay or if they're a new game though just so I can distinguish between em(Since I started tracking in 2022, 15.7% of the games I've finished are games I've already finished once in the past!)

Oct 27, 2017
HUGE Update! - Main Post

Completely failed at updating thoughts on games. So just going to list what I have completed year to date.

19. Battletoads Arcade - Rare Replay (Xbox Series X) - 6/10 - basic and doesn't do much to the formula.
20. Bowser's Fury (Switch) - 9/10 - awesome and I hope they expand on this formula
21. Sonic Mania (Switch) - 8/10 -
22. Gris (Switch) - 8/10
23. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (PS4) - 9/10 - best CoD I have played in a long time (I only play the campaigns)
24. Grabbed by the Ghoulies - Rare Replay (Xbox Series X) - 6/10 - meh
25. Donkey Kong '94 (3DS) - 9/10 - holds up, fantastic
26. Resident Evil 4 Remake (PS5) - 10/10 - I think I love the OG more but this was still on the same pedestal.
27. Penguin Patrol (3DS) - 8/10 - awesome hidden gem I found during the shop closing
28. 3Souls (Wii U) - 5/10 - cool ideas with painful execution. I actually am still shocked I was able to get to the end.
29. Angry Video Game Nerd II: Assimilation (Steam Deck) - 7/10
30. Simple Story - Alex (Steam Deck) - 7/10 - short but interesting
31. Bike Rider DX (3DS) - 7/10 - fun last minute eshop purchase
32. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (Wii U) - 9/10 - solid HD handling of the game. I liked it more this time than when I played it back on Wii launch
33. Super Mario All Stars: Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels (SNES) - 6/10 - basically DLC for the original. I just am not a fan.
34. Super Mario All Stars: Super Mario Bros. 2 (SNES) - 8/10 - NES sprites are still the best, but the gameplay is still solid
35. Gears of War: Judgement (Xbox 360) - 6/10 - super short and super average
36. The Cave (PS3) - 8/10
37. The Pedestrian (Steam Deck) - 8/10
38. Shank (Steam Deck) - 7/10
39. Red Faction (PS5) - 7/10 - Hard to figure out where to go but overall this was a solid old school FPS
40. Glass Masquerade (Steam Deck) - 9/10 - amazing puzzle game, can't wait to play the others
41. Detective Holmes: Trap for the Hunter (Steam Deck) - 7/10 - decent hidden object game
42. Timespinner (Steam Deck) - 9/10 - fantastic metroidvania. Short but solid.
43. Hidden Object: Detective Holmes (Steam Deck) - 6/10 - basic hidden object game
44. Super Kiwi 64 (Steam Deck) - 7/10
45. Final Fantasy XVI (PS5) - 8/10 - I really enjoyed it but the story lost me at many times. It had the potential to be a top tier FF for me...but probably ends more int he middle.
46. Milo's Quest (Steam Deck) - 7/10
47. NecroWorm (Steam Deck) - 7/10
48. Bramble: The Mountain King (PS5) - 9/10 - Could be a potential GOTY contender for me. Has some jank but man, what an awesome game. Loved the presentation and variety. Check this one out!
49. The Forgotten City (Xbox Series X) - 7/10 - It was fine, I think it got more praise than maybe it deserved.
50. Spectacular Sparky (Steam Deck) - 8/10 - Super solid platformer.
51. Commander Keen 1: Marooned on Mars (Steam Deck) - 8/10 - Never finished this as a kid and now I feel a little more complete.
52. Raptor: Call of the Shadows (Steam Deck) - 7/10 - Same for Raptor! I wanted my 52nd game to be one that was missed when I was younger and could never push through. This game is hard as hell...but somehow, I pulled it off. Very solid but difficult and old school.
53. Wax Museum: Seek and Find (Steam Deck) 7/10 - Another average hidden object game with some creepy aspects.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ive had more time than usual to cram in some game time... and yet I feel Im making LESS progress than usual lol. Well, another game done and not a moment too soon.

139. Actraiser Renaissance (PS4) - Here's a classic case of where more content doesnt make a game better. I dont know what SE were thinking here - did they think charging for an Actraiser remake as it originally was created was a bad idea, or did someone honestly think the new tower defense shit was good? Either way, they were so very wrong.

So at its heart - the original (good) and remake (bad) are a mix of action/platforming and a god sim where you help your settlers by using miracles to make the lands inhabitable letting their settlements grow and flourish. Originally I recall it being in your best interest to do these bits well as they greatly power you up for the next stages - its an excellent balance and with snappy, fast gameplay it was a hit. I recall absolutely adoring it though its years since I played the original.

The remake though adds a ton to the overworld stuff - and none of it good... So instead of this being a fast and snappy game, its slow as shit now. CONSTANT dialogue interrupting you, with trivial and boring missions (which is now the way you level up... slowly) and there's the addition to another gameplay type in the overworld - tower defense style missions where you create defensive towers to take out swarms of enemies before they take out the target. These are far too frequent, are required to be grinded over and over to power characters up (as the difficulty spikes BAD later in the game) and worst of all - they are punishingly boring. They never really evolve that much beyond some simple Rock/Paper/Scissors weakness stuff, and having to play these over and over in every area and level up everyone separately is just so fucking bad... It takes a game that was originally around 5ish hours (I think, I honestly forget) and makes it way over 10 hours (like, if you power everyone up, it'll be 30 hours AT LEAST).

Now, to be fair - the platforming gameplay is excellent as it ever was. Bosses are redesigned with new moves, to counter your new moves list. Everything is slick and very fun. But keep in mind these stages are what... 5-10 minutes long each? There's only two per world, that's only around 12 (plus two extra) so chances are your only putting an hour or two into these initially, with the rest of the time honestly wasted on the overworld stuff which is made infinitely worse than the original.

Oh, Yuzo Koshiro returns to redo his original soundtrack. Its fucking epic. It needs highlighting because his amazing work doesnt deserve to be tarnished by being attached to this remake.

Its hard to even recommend this one... The overworld gameplay is changed for the worse so much that it completely ruins the balance of the original. Like, even with something like Yakuza Kiwami or Ishin Kiwami - which have way more bloat/grinding than the originals - that's mostly optional stuff you can ignore (well, somewhat), but here its forced on you. You want the ending (and the optional end boss), you gotta do the tower defense stuff, no way round it.

Next Up:

Every Console/Handheld (unique) Spidey game... seriously
Tetris Effect VR
Runner
Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak
Rez Infinite (trophies)
Lost more VR stuff
MGS Rising
Splatterhouse (PS3)
NMH3
Bayonetta 3
And a game generation worth of SFVI play!

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

A thread for people that are trying to play 52 games in a year. Tell us how you're doing and what you are going to play next - claim a post and update us on your progress! How do I take part? Claim a 'main post' where you will list all your completions for the year. You can use fancy images...

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Only two games beaten in September, but still, I'm creeping slowly towards the yearly target...

Main post here

header.jpg

42. Golden Idol Mysteries: The Lemurian Vampire (PC - Steam) | 5 September 2023 | 8/10
Complete playthrough. A very solid send-off for the best detective game in a long while, The Lemurian Vampire brings three new, fairly complex scenarios that are once again thoroughly satisfying to solve. A few new mechanics add novelty to the gameplay, now with each chapter taking place over multiple points in time, alongside a quality-of-life improvement that carries "known information" between chapters. It's a shame that this is the final DLC for the game as I'd take as much as I can get of these scenarios, but I eagerly await whatever Color Gray Games come up with next.

header.jpg

43. Behind the Frame: The Finest Scenery (PC - Steam) | 11 September 2023 | 6/10
Completed with 100% of achievements unlocked, including DLC. Nicely artistic but very limited in gameplay, Behind the Canvas is a point-and-click puzzle game based around interactions with objects in a painter's studio. Those puzzles are largely just based around pattern/colour recognition so there's little here by way of challenge - the hardest that it gets is locating the hotspots in the environment - and honestly I didn't find the game all that interesting. That said, it's clearly not designed with any great ambitions and as a relaxing, somewhat relaxing interactive story is decent enough.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
September update!

Look, I spent a lot of time in Starfield this month, okay?

My goals for October are simple: finish at least one of Starfield or Tears of the Kingdom before Forza Motorsport comes out. From what friends have told me about Zelda, I could in theory get to the end pretty quickly from where I am, but I'd be missing a significant chunk of the game it sounds like. Starfield, on the other hand, is hard to tell, but I've finished most of the faction questlines and it sounds like the main quest isn't terribly long to begin with (which makes sense given how skeletal it feels so far). So I think the goal is reachable, though finishing both is probably not possible before the 10th. I could potentially finish Zelda before Cities Skylines 2 comes out near the end of the month, so that's my unofficial stretch goal.

I kind of knew from the start that I wasn't going to make 52 games this year, so not finishing any games this month is fine. It's still significantly better than 2018, when I basically spent an entire summer away from games (probably spending it recovering from work instead) and only finished 9 titles.

Last edited:

Memory Pak

Aug 29, 2018
BWFXfgZ.png

19. Batsugun Saturn Tribute Boosted (1993/2023, Switch) ★★★★☆
Re-release of Toaplan's last shooter from 1993, containing 2 versions (and 4 soundtracks) of Batsugun. This is often considered an early progenitor of the bullet hell style shooter, along with Toaplan's other 1993 release V-V (a.k.a. Grind Stormer). Batsugun still bears the hallmarks of classic shoot-'em-ups (collectible power-ups, losing some power when hit), but enemy shot patterns are dense, and your hitbox size is reduced. The game's Special Version features more iterations, reducing the hitbox even further, and brightening the entire colour palette to make incoming fire more distinct. The latter is a double-edged change, both improving legibility, but simultaneously diminishing the grimy neon look. There's a garish quality to the original's art, and it's not hard to see how Junya Inoue iterated upon Batsugun to later design the cleaner characters for ESP.Ra.De., which fully commited to an urban setting. Even the hornet iconography is already present, which would later show up in DonPachi.

Historical significance aside, Batsugun does hold up on its own, but there's a real sense the developers were reinventing the genre mid-way through. Stages 1-3 are relative pushovers, in which you feel overpowered, before stage 4 pulls out all the stops and coats the screen in bullets. Shots of all colours rain down at you fast and in clusters, requiring quick reflexes, big sweeping evasive movements, and memorisation of enemy placement. This sharply contrasts with later genre innovations, which reduce bullet speed dramatically, pick from more limited shot colour palettes, and focus on micro-dodges over constant player movements.
Batsugun's back half is a demanding game, with few moments to zone out to. I also think the game lacks a bit of context for the action, since the mix of human and mechanical foes don't make for the clearest story. There's connective tissue between the level themes, but Batsugun feels most iconic when gliding through its early aquatic levels, so it's a small bummer when those get traded for more generic cityscapes.

YnjJQCi.png

20. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective (2010/2023, Switch) ★★★★☆
Remaster of the 2010 release on DS. Smoothly animated adventure game, where a ghost tries to solve his own murder. This is from the Ace Attorney creator, and has a similarly colourful cast of cartoony characters zipping through a fast-paced, punchy script. It's amusing to watch the game invent new in-universe explanations everytime it wants to break/amend a previously established "rule". Some of the music gets repetitive, and towards the end the plot does jump a few sharks - but overall this is a fun romp.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Main Post

header.jpg

18. 8-Bit Adventures 2
Phew! It took me a while but i finally got around to completing this after I started it at the beginning of the year. 100% completion too! Just a lovely game, I really have no complaints worth mentioning. It's full of heart, it's very sweet and it's so a huge love letter to old rpgs.

RedShift

Oct 27, 2017
Week: 40
Games Played: 48
Main post
mural.png

Only finished 2 games in September, but that is due to me also playing ~60 hours of Elden Ring which I haven't quite finished yet (but hopefully should in not too long, currently working through the Haligtree)

47. Nova Lands (PC)
Picked this up after seeing AvianAviator's post above. It's an Automation game that has a sprinkle of Stardew like elements in it. I enjoyed it, but I think I knew that I would going in given how Cracktorio has taken over my life at various points. This doesn't quite have Factorio's polish, and I agree a bit more info on production levels would have been helpful. It also commits some pixel art SINS: both rotating and squishy pixels. But it definitely got it's teeth into the automation addict part of my brain. If you already know you love this sort of game I'd recommend it. If you haven't tried one yet, I'd probably recommend other games first.

48. Sonic Mania (Steam Deck)
I did not expect to end up playing five Sonic games this year but here we are. I'm not as madly in love with this as most seem to be. I found the level design a bit annoying, it loves one way gates that you get flung through just as you see something that might be worth exploring, and seemed a bit too focused on flinging Sonic around the stage at full speed with boosters and the like for my taste. Not to mention there were just a few too many times I'd hit a hidden booster that would fling me into a hazard, or better yet, a random crushing death (the collision detection for these is awful). Definitely much prefer Triple Trouble 16 bit, which I once again highly recommend to anyone. Having played all of them for the first time in the last year or so my ranking for Mega Drive style Sonic games would be 3&K = TT16b > Mania > CD > 1 > 2.

At this point I think my plan for the rest of the year is to finish Elden Ring, then play BG3, Mario Wonder, and Pikmin 4 to reach 52. Once I make it through those I might try and see out the rest of the year just playing out more content from the games I've already beaten. I want to do some of the War Room in Advance Wars, maybe do a Knuckles run through of Triple Trouble 16-bit and do some of the quests I missed in TotK. Will probably get too tempted by something else though, we'll see.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
<< Previous Post | Main Post | Next Post >>

U48HGaT.png

33. Venba

Venba is more like an appetizer than a full meal.

It's a visual novel that tells the story of a family South Indians, newly emigrated to Canada. There are story vignettes about their life and transition into this new country, broken up by simple cooking minigames with tantalizing art and sound design (and backed by a really nice original Tamil soundtrack).

Each story beat is really tender. You feel Venba's struggle to assimilate and her son's struggles to connect with his family heritage. I'm not from an immigrant family, but my husband is a first generation American and recognized many parallels, like forgetting how to speak his original language but retaining his ability to understand it.

Finished in around three hours but I could have played another hour or so.

FC6YDdx.png

34. Hypnospace Outlaw

Visually and auditorily intense, Hypnospace Outlaw takes you back to a time when everything was rad in the 90s, dude! Or maybe, a sci-fi'd version of the 90s? 90s-punk? It's 1999 and you're a moderator for an online community called Hypnospace, accessible through a VR headset worn while sleeping. Despite the high tech premise, everything in Hypnospace is stylized and crunchy like the web interfaces of the time period. Clashing fonts. GIFs everywhere. Low quality sound bytes. Desktop pets. It's like a time capsule, it's wonderful. This is the stage for which you must monitor this online community, looking for illegal activity and stamp it out for money.

There's an overarching plot involving the company owners trying to make a cutting-age video game, all the while plummeting towards overloading the VR headset…but outside of that, there are tons of background events happening on individual pages if you just go hunting for them. Conspiracy theorists, micro communities, personal feuds, teenagers being enthusiastically cringy without realizing…all the good and bad of the internet. There is something unflinchingly authentic about the whole thing.

OVGDfgj.png

35. Endwalker

A perfect conclusion to a decade long saga…in story only. Moment to moment gameplay sometimes suffered, and there were a few instanced activities that were…frustrating. But the story really soars to new heights.

Especially the last zone. I think it's my favorite in the whole game. I haven't started patch content yet but I hope some of it takes place there...

r6fzD5M.png

36. Frog Detective: The Entire Mystery

Cute frog detective goes on many zany adventures! Solve mysteries as the world's second best detective!!

If you can handle heavy doses of silliness then you might enjoy this. There were a couple of times where it made me laugh. But I think it was a little too goofy and saccharine for my taste. The majority of this game is reading, so it's writing is the only selling point. The investigative gameplay is barely there.

Last edited:

Celestial Descend

Corrupted by Vengeance
Aug 15, 2022
39. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom | AAVG | Switch | ★★★★☆ | 10-3
An astounding accomplishment of game development. Games with the same amount of content or level of polish are not unheard of, but to achieve such a standard in both is truly incredible, especially given the hardware it is running on.

One standout improvement over Breath of the Wild is the main story campaign. Given the open structure, a less evolved story was forgiven, but with the addition of several dungeons and key scripted events, Tears of the Kingdom tells a concise yet elaborated story with emotion payoff.
Exploration is the most important part of the new Zelda formula, and the sky islands open up a whole new dimension of exploration. The seamless transition between sky and ground is both a technical marvel and an ingenious game design. The abyss, on the other hand, suffers from monotone presentation and overall lack of variety, and is the weakest part of the game. In terms of interactivity, the new abilities are mostly upgrade over the old ones with the addition of crafting. While crafting system does open up a new venue of creativity, the interface is cumbersome, and the end products are more novelty rather than something that offers significant gameplay advantage (in terms of the time and resource needed to craft them, and their usability), in other words, they are great for TikTok content creators, but not so much for someone just trying to play the game.

There is one design contradiction in the game. TotK brands itself as a direct sequel, and as such, it gets away with the huge amount of reused assets and lack of new assets (music, map, enemy variety, etc). From the narrative standpoint, however, the game has almost no ties to BotW. Most NPCs don't recognize Link, and his actions in BotW seem to have zero impact in the world of Totk. It is, at the same time, too familiar yet too distant.

40. Gemini Rue | AVG | PC | ★★★☆☆ | 10-10
Very clunky shooing sections will surely frustrate people. On the other hand, it does have some kind of metaphorical value in the narrative. The story doesn't really sparks until the twist in the end, which some might already guess it as the game is not stingy with hints. Maybe it's because it started out as a student project, the way the game implement its Cowboy Bebop reference is rather ...inelegant. I wonder if the lobby of Hibiscus Highrise is a reference to Chef John.

41. Lieve Oma | AVG | PC | ★★☆☆☆ | 10-11
It's a very personal game, and not the kind of experience I can relate to. On one hand, my childhood was quite uneventful, fortunately. On the other hand, my grandparents passed when I was little, so I didn't have this kind of bonding memories. When I did need a little space and time, it was videogame that provided me. Cheers to videogame! This game does present the beautiful outdoor in autumn, sadly, another thing I never quite experienced myself. At least I can make mushroom risotto for myself.

42. Hot Pot Panic | AVG | PC | ★★☆☆☆ | 10-12
To eat or to talk, the eternal question when dining with people you don't care much about. Now that's a human experience I'm all too familiar with, and I'm glad someone's able to capture it in an interactive format so we can all relive the awkwardness. I wouldn't recommend eating anything taken out of the hot pot when there's still raw meat in it though, no matter how hungry you are.

43. We Met in May | AVG | PC | ★★★☆☆ | 10-13
Charming tidbits of the early stage of a relationship that made more interesting by the fact that they are based on true experience of the developers (even the names are not changed). Videogame doesn't have to be pure fiction. There is so much untapped potential in genuine personal experience. I'll never have the experience of entering a girl's room and seeing poster from hentai game. I'm grateful that at least I can meet my dream girl in videogame.

44. A Normal Lost Phone | AVG | PC | ★★★☆☆ | 10-14
It turned out the game was not originally developed in English, which explains why the dialogue feels unnatural at times. I feel like I've seen quite a few games like this over the past decade. It takes a lot more to standout among games with similar theme in these days. The name of the developer gave out the mystery of the game.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
140. Wolfenstein 3D (Steam Deck) - Ive been on a real FPS kick recently, playing Doom and other old FPS games and it occurred to me that Ive never actually sat down and played Wolfenstein 3D! So a little tinkering later and I have it running perfectly on my Steam Deck. And I gotta say, I really loved it. Its a very straight forward game level wise - no real twists or anything to the levels - just explore the rooms until you find the keys and then find the doors they unlock. You'll need the map though - one thing the game lacks is variety in areas - everywhere looks identical and you usually explore rather cramped corridors, so you'll quickly get confused about where you are (or at least I did!) and so you'll fall back to the map to get a little direction. I only had one instance where I got confused where a key was (in 30 levels) so yeah, its simple stuff.

The real difficulty comes from the enemies. While you have very little variety - dog, solider, solider with a better gun, faster soldier, zombie? with a gun, they all pack a punch. A couple of hits and your dead. And while ammo isnt exactly rare, it doesnt mean you can just go Rambo either, you gotta be careful, peer round corners, save often, and be accurate. The first set of 10 levels are simple, but things definitely jump in difficulty once you start the second set of levels - especially with little ammo and only the starter pistol (it gets easier as you get the better weapons.
Speaking of which, you only get a couple of guns (that I found anyway) - pistol you start with, machine gun, then chaingun. Each uses the same ammo and just ups the fire rate, which is needed against the more dangerous enemies since they hit scan you, so its not like you can really avoid their shots, you just gotta shoot first.
As a result, the game is insanely fast paced. You zip around levels quick, enemies die quick but are super dangerous, and levels arent big enough that you'll spend long looking for the exist. As a result, I found it super addictive... I pretty much blasted through all 30 levels in one morning!

So all in all, while its not a patch on Doom and later FPS games due to its very small focus on weapons, enemies etc. I still really enjoyed it. I thankfully have no problem enjoying and appreciating older games, and honestly my main takeaway is just how I couldnt put the game down, and how much I enjoyed playing it. So in that sense, its a win.

I've still got a prequel trilogy of levels and an expansion pack? to play, so very much looking forward to those as well.

Next Up:

Tetris Effect VR
Runner
Rez Infinite (trophies)
Lost more VR stuff
MGS Rising
Splatterhouse (PS3)
NMH3
Bayonetta 3

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

A thread for people that are trying to play 52 games in a year. Tell us how you're doing and what you are going to play next - claim a post and update us on your progress! How do I take part? Claim a 'main post' where you will list all your completions for the year. You can use fancy images...

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
Main Post

A very late update but it's finally here. Only had one game that I was able to complete in September making it my absolute worst month this year. Hopefully October will be better. That said here we go.

inge8WI.jpg
44. Sonic The Hedgehog (Nintendo DS) - September 15th (1 Hour)
So technically I already played through Sonic 1 back in Origins but I was getting nostalgic and wanted to replay my original way of playing the game. For the most part this is a pretty ok way to play through Sonic 1, especially for the time. Screen Crunch is minimal despite the DS' lower resolution than the Megadrive, and the game's rom seems to have been modified to mostly accomodate the UI as well (though there are one or two issues in the credits). Sound emulation is generally good as well but not perfect. The only real issue I had with this version of Sonic 1 is the slowdown. I don't remember it being anywhere near as severe as a kid and especially since I was playing on a DSi I thought it'd be fine fine but no. It's not a constant issue but it happens often enough that it makes it difficult to recommend this version nowadays outside of a curiosity (though tbf why else would you play it in 2023?). Now I was playing it on a modded DSi and loading from the SD card rather than using my original copy so maybe that's the issue but I can't really be bothered to check. Anyways, while certainly not as good as I remember it being if you can get past the slowdown this is a kinda interesting version of Sonic 1 tailored to the DS but probably not worth playing. I wonder if anyone's ever extracted the rom?

2.5/5

Last edited:

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
MAIN THREAD

master45.png

Quick Update:
  • Golden Idol T.L.V DLC: some cool new ideas integrated into already great game. Hope to see them expanded upon further one day!
  • AC6: A.C games are always fun 6 is no different. The arena is lacking this time around and bosses are oddly designed and balanced.
  • Prodeus: Thrilling action packed game start to finish. Only negative is upgrade system. Its moment to moment gameplay is sublime though
  • Mk1: I am not great at these types of games but I enjoyed the campaign a ton as well as general single player side content.
  • Pikmin: First time playing and I kept getting the itch of, "one more run". The adventure of sending your Pikmin out on a campaign to gather items was really fun.

Remember we have a discord channel if you want to discuss what you are playing and beat even further with monthly and quarterly optional game clubs!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
141. Wolfenstein 3D: The Nocturnal Missions (Steam Deck) - Episodes 4-6 of Wolfenstein 3D were originally an expansion pack, hence why Im counting them separately... also because they are of inferior quality so Id rather talk about Good Wolf3D and not so good Wolf3D!

So Episodes 4-6 play identically to the first 3 episodes and honestly it might be the best example of "more of the same" ever. Honestly its just a map pack... there's no new enemies that I recall (actually, there's less than in the first 3 episodes) plus the level designs just suck in 4 and 6... The biggest problem is the corridors are all so narrow - so quite often you have enemies hiding that you will never see, and since this game deals such high damage immediately, you will die in just a couple of hits. This is CONSTANTLY an issue in eps 4 and 6 as almost all the maps are designed like this. It slows things down, its boring, its not remotely fun or fair or good map design. Its kinda nuts how well the "main" game gets it and how these basically completely fail. Ep 6 is the worst as the difficulty feels higher here and I just had 0 fun playing this. Also make sure you find the secret in the starting area of floor 9 else you'll be incredibly underpowered against the final boss (all bosses feel like copy/paste jobs of previous bosses btw)

Notice though, I didnt mention Ep 5 above. Despite it having some issues (same enemies, basically just a map pack), it actually has decent map design. Unlike the narrow maps seen in the other two episodes, these feel closer to what I loved in the "main" game. And as a result I enjoyed them way more. Its still a tad unoriginal and unlike episodes 2 and 3 which introduced new stuff it doesnt do anything new, its still good ol' classic Wolf3D fun.

So all in all, 2/3 of the episodes were mediocre while one was at least fun. There's another expansion pack to go through when I have the chance, fingers crossed there's a little more originality in it.

Next Up:

Tetris Effect VR
Runner
Rez Infinite (trophies)
Lost more VR stuff
MGS Rising
Splatterhouse (PS3)
NMH3
Bayonetta 3

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

el_galvon

Jun 13, 2019
September (late and huge) update

Main Post

wKMusNQ.jpg

47. Jet Set Radio Future (Xbox - 2002) | Sep/03 - 22hrs | 9
The Good:
Hard to choose between the visuals, the soundtrack or the level design
The Bad: Missing full camera controls

As someone who didn't enjoy the original JSR, I was really suprised by this one. Excellent decision to remove the time limit and make each stage huge and fun to explore. Really a shame that is locked on the OG Xbox.

77KtQgn.jpg
48. Armored Core 3 Portable (PSP - 2009) | Sep/04 - 16hrs | 6
The Good:
Equip a very awesome rocket launcher on your mech
The Bad: Found out that its useless for the next mission

First Armored Core that I played, this game is really hard. I like the concept of you being a mercenary working for different organizations that want to destroy one another. I think most of my time with the game was spent creating the mecha, with was fun by its own right.

LPPVrXv.jpg

49. Escape Academy (Xbox One - 2022) | Sep/07 - 6hrs | 7
The Good:
A fun co-op experience way cheaper than paying for a real Escape Room
The Bad: The controls are not very good on gamepad

A good surprise. Played one stage per day, some of them in co-op and had fun in both modes. Couldn't care much for the story though.

jDbArk9.jpg
50. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 (PS4 - 2020) | Sep/09 - 12hrs | 9
The Good:
Revisit classic stages with manuals, reverts and others gameplay improvements
The Bad: The excessive and not very rewarding grind for levels

An excellent remaster that made me remind how much I love this series. There's a heavy nostalgia factor but this is also a reminder that those games are still excellent. Only wish that there was something more interesting besides cosmetics to go for the level 100.

ld6QUMj.jpg
51. Rhythm Heaven Fever (Wii - 2011) | Sep/13 - 10hrs | 10

This game is perfect. To be honest I just wanted to post this gif:
JCNuTSi.gif

ioaqD9T.jpg
52. Castlevania (NES - 1986) | Sep/15 - 2hrs | 7
The Good:
The iconic soundtrack
The Bad: Last two stages before Dracula

I thought that this would be harder, but, until the bridge stage, it was a very fun action/platform game. At least the final boss was easy to understand. And "Christopher Bee as Dracula" made me smile.

0nM77BU.jpg
53. Adventure Island (NES - 1986) | Sep/17 - 3hrs | 4
The Good:
A skate is an interesting power up
The Bad: The stamina system is infuriating

Didn't know that the first Adventure Island was also a port of the first Wonder Boy, but that's the video games industry in the 80's for you. This game has one of the weirdest jump mechanics I've seen, where you can only jump high if you're pressing either left or right on the d-pad. It also has some incredible hard levels, repetitive bosses and most musics have a 10 second loop. Not recommended.

R9ujOVo.jpg
54. Mass Effect (PS4 - 2021) | Sep/21 - 40hrs | 8
The Good:
A lore that holds an entire galaxy
The Bad: Sometimes it's hard to understand the tone of a choice in a dialogue

Finally playing one of the most acclaimed trilogies from last decade. Was very impressed with the scope of this game, had lots of fun exploring each planet, and also getting lost on the Citadel. The combat as a TPS is very basic, but functional. Some moments made me genuinely laugh but I also cared a lot for most of the characters. Very hyped to play the sequel.

czcHveg.jpg
55. Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy - 1992) | Sep/22 - 1hr | 7
The Good:
Flying in a platform game is always a good thing
The Bad: Only one shmup boss

Very short and simple, but also well executed. Nothing much I could say about it but it was a good hour spent.

U3cMe62.jpg

56. Mario Tennis (N64 - 2000) | Sep/23 - 4hrs | 7.5
The Good:
Daisy and Waluigi
The Bad: Can't pause during a rally

A fun arcade experience, very easy to play and with lots of stuff to unlock. Want to play the other games from this series to see how they evolve.

SB8PRQv.jpg

57. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES - 1988) | Sep/26 - 6hrs | 10
The Good:
The level design that overflows with creativity
The Bad: For such a creative game, the boss battles could have more variety

An atemporal classic. It's absurd to see how this game evolves from the original SMB.

Also, I love these sprites:
lJtyAFa.gif

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
spent most of the last month juggling some loooong games like Baldurs Gate 3 (enjoying it, but that drawn out combat...)and sea of stars (not sure i'm enjoying it and, that repetitive combat...) before finally burning out, this years utter deluge of content can in fact work against me.
Currently crawling through covid heck and am finally wrapping some shorter titles as a result, nothing like being forcibly confined home off work to bring my willpower back.

45. Resident Evil 4 Separate Ways

Not much to say here that isn't covered by what I said about base Resi 4, well except that a number of missing set pieces from the OG Resi 4 get to make their grand return here instead. Completely blows past the original separate ways being a more fleshed out experience which is expected for the (very fair) price you're paying for it.
Not essential, but if you enjoyed the base game (I wager most of us did!), it's a great way to cap it off.

46. TMNT: Shredder's Revenge ★★★

After a whole year plus of waiting for a friend of mine to follow up on any co-op plans via gamepass, I just ended up grabbing another friend via PS plus extra to finally brawl my way through this throwback in more ways than one.
Plot twist though, neither of us are really into da toitles, we both come from an experience of "yeah I watched a bit of HERO turtles as a kid...that is all", so it is our era of turts, even so it felt like one hazy blindspot.
So with my limited knowledge I picked Donatello because he's the NERD and I think one of the more modern series made him neurodivergent (he just like me!), my pal picked Raphael and off we went.
Great pixel art, some tubular tee lopes tunes and punchy combat are enough to have us happily blast through the 16 stages in one sitting. However we both felt the game had a few sticking issues and a lack of evolving concepts to really have it stand toe to toe with say, Streets of Rage 4.

Not a fan of the leveling system, it's just enough to make swapping characters seem like a detriment (though granted, it's not game ruining like scott pilgrim), so we just stuck with our initial choices all game (plus you can't change characters from the map screen?) autoscroller stages, flying enemies and some bosses felt rather jank with wonky arse hitboxes that let out many a "no way that hit me!"
Otherwise though I'm happy to have finally played it, a nice bit of co-op is a treat in itself. I think my friend concluded our adventures well with "that was fun, now to delete it and never play it again"
Indeed my friend, indeed

"NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL A TURTLE TEAM UP"

47. Gunbrella ★★★

I have a strange fascination with weaponised umbrellas, ever since watching Burgess Meredith wailing his way through the 60's batman show as the Penguin, I've loved the classy shenanigans of an umbrella that doubles as a weapon.
So on reveal Gunbrella had my attention, also it was by the chap who made the short and sweet Gato Roboto.
As such the game is similar in structure, a psuedo metroidvania that's mostly still linear in structure, this time though there's more colour, more plot and more overall game.

I'd class Gunbrella as reliable fun for action platformer fans, with the twist being that it perhaps doesn't go as hard on said action, and instead favours PLOT?!
The "sad dad game" need not be exclusive to cinematic AAAA titles, because goddamn if this game isn't one of the saddest and daddest, with a throughline of "look how VIOLENT you are, makes you think huh?", sure does, it makes me think how much gaming just loves this angle.
Well anyway, the game might have some underlying morality system in play that changes a few NPC interactions and maybe the ending, don't trust me on that though because I actually am just guessing, it's not like era is hopping with gunbrella talk after all.

The writing fortunately intertwines its fairly cliche dark subject matter with a lot of NPC humour and quirkiness, I think it's interesting to see a game like this lean as much into a still fairly light story and NPC interactions, though I wouldn't recommend it off the back of that.
Gameplay wise, the gunbrella has a lot of potential that never felt fully utilised, you start with most of your core gameplay kit, a propelling airdash of sorts, a glide, a reflect/shield/parry/melee and the game gives you a generous disregard for gravity that could almost be kirby esque in a sense as it highlights that platforming isn't really designed to challenge as such outside a few areas.

The gunbrella gets more of a work out as...a gun. Very to the point shotgun blasting where you can shmoove around the various enemy types and blast them into pulp, like the platforming side its simple and effective, without ever really pushing things much further.
And y'know, that's fine, it's a good game, it can have odd spikes of challenge while being otherwise a bit too breezy for action game veterans yet perhaps taxing enough for those not that into 2D action platformers. Items, currency, collectables, upgrades and side quests are implemented in their most basic forms if that makes sense, we're talking a game where you'll have a surplus of currency to spend on an excess of healing items or alternative ammo types that are often more awkward to use than just shotgunning everything, collectables are basically heart pieces and upgrades to your gunbrella are a mighty two options of power and reload, hence what I mean by it being functional but only surface level.

And in a way that kinda sums up Gunbrella, it's good! I enjoyed it! I don't have anything to rave about though, I think it's an improvement over Gato Roboto, yet I kinda dug Gato more I feel. A perfectly solid indie title that I expect might get lost in the shuffle until it's 50% off on sale and a few of us whisper "yeah it's totally worth a fiver for sure"

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Finished up September. Main post is here.

36. Final Fantasy 7 Ever Crisis: Crisis Core - iOS - 2 hours
37. Final Fantasy 7 Ever Crisis: Beach Summer Event - iOS - 40 minutes
38. Maquette - Xbox Series X - 2 hours, 1 minute
39. Final Fantasy 7 Ever Crisis: Final Fantasy 7 Chapter 1-3 - iOS - 10 hours
40. Final Fantasy 7 Ever Crisis: First Solider Chapter 1-4 - iOS - 12 hours
41. Resident Evil 4: Separate Ways (2023) - Xbox Series X - 5 hours, 1 minute
42. Mortal Kombat 1 - PS5 - 4 hours

Only 10 to go and I may get there, barely.

October (46/52)
43. Cocoon - Xbox Series X - 4 hours, 46 minutes
44. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective - Switch - 10 hours
45. Final Fantasy 7 Ever Crisis: Halloween 2023 Event - iOS - 45 minutes
46. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Xbox Series X - 11 hours, 22 minutes

Last edited:

Sillen2000

Oct 1, 2019
Main Post

August update: 41/52

Baldur's Gate 3 (great game, but really not sure how I feel about the combat) consuming my life, but I guess I have time to remember a few games in-between rolls.

ITbQ5K7.jpg

36. August 3rd | Gimmick! Special Edition | Nintendo Switch | 7h 50m | ☆☆☆(/5)
Originally released in 1992 for the NES, and for some reason only in Scandinavia (though as far as I can tell, actually just Sweden, which means I potentially should have been able to play it on actual hardware) under the name Mr. Gimmick, because Gimmick! was too nonsensical of a title, I guess. This port is basically just that game, but with the original title restored and, I would assume, the more technically advanced Famicom soundtrack. It also has a speedrun mode and a mode where you can rewind and use save states, so as far as Special Editions go, this is pretty bare bones. I guess being able to play the game without paying a pretty large fortune (or via emulation, obviously) is special enough, though.

As for the actual game, Gimmick! is honestly pretty great. It's extremely daunting at first, with how slippery the player character, Yumetaro, is and the physics of his star attack (also a traversal method since Yumetaro can jump onto it with some good timing. I'm not very good at it, though) can take a bit to learn as well as the fact that only one star can be on screen at a time, so missing a shot can leave you extremely defenseless for a few seconds. Enemies can also be quite aggressive, and I'd say most stages have at least one pretty BS trial and error section to suffer through. Quite surprising considering how cute the game looks.

It gets even harder when going for the true ending (which I, of course, did, and that's why my playtime is almost 8 hours. My actual final playthrough was just 38 minutes long, and that was honestly pretty slow) where you have to get the secret treasure on every stage, and get through the first six stages without using a single continue, but through that challenge I got a real appreciation of all the systems at work, and the very smart level design that both gives you the feeling that this is an actual, breathing world that you're going through and not just something designed for a video game, with enemies very carefully placed and unique to their stages, and some not even being hostile to you.

The game also very clearly wants you to always move forward, either by spawning enemies behind you, having the ground collapse beneath your feet or just very clearly showing that standing in one spot for too long is extremely unwise. It reminds me a bit of something like the first Ninja Gaiden game, where you barely stay still for a second of the entire playthrough, and I really enjoy that kind of 2D platformer. It's very difficult when you start out, but with some practice, and a whole lot of frustration, it becomes sort of like a dance, and just supremely satisfying to get through what previously seemed impossible without much issue, and look cool while doing it.

Since it's a Sunsoft game made in the 90's, you can also expect Gimmick! to sound and look fantastic. I wouldn't say the levels themselves look all that impressive (not bad at all, but there are certainly NES games with better looking backdrops), but the fact that it has these really impressive physics (slopes!) at play at all times, the enemy AI actually seems sort of dynamic (they at least have very clear line of sight), the amount of things often on screen at the same time, and everything being extremely well animated, it's super impressive how rock solid the frame rate is. Especially when thinking of other technically impressive NES games like Kirby's Adventure where it feels like the game's about to explode at any moment. The fact that this game was made by, like, three people makes this an even more impressive feat, and it doesn't hurt that the soundtrack isn't just among the best on the entire NES, but also feels like wizardry and something that simply shouldn't be technically possible on an 8-bit console, and yet it is.

So yeah, I definitely recommend everyone with a love for NES platformers to play this. It's very difficult and not for the impatient type, but give it a little time and it will click eventually.

Soundtrack highlight:
Good Weather

6pb79K6.jpg

37. August 4th | Mega Man 2 | Playstation 4 | 39m | Replay | ☆☆☆☆☆
It's Mega Man 2. I don't really have anything to say about the game itself that hasn't already been said a million times. It's a bit like the original RE4 where you sort of wonder if there's any more water to squeeze out of that rock, but I can say that Mega Man 2 is a very important game to me. We didn't have any consoles in our household until the PS2 in 2003, but my uncle had an NES, and we often borrowed it from him, and with it came his games; Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt, Super Mario Bros. 3, TMNT 1, TMNT: The Arcade Game, Snake Rattle 'n Roll, Simpsons: Bart Vs. the Space Mutants, and Mega Man 2.

These games of very varying quality sort of became my introduction to video games (and lead me down this dark path that I'm sadly now walking for all eternity), so they all hold a whole lot of sentimental value to me, and especially Mega Man 2 (and to an extent SMB3) since I'm still regularly playing it, still loving the entire playthrough. There's something really cool about having this thing that I've loved for probably around 25 years by now, and how it somehow still never grows stale to me. It's a link between child and adult me in some way, and it's sort of nice to know that I still have that, and that it's built upon a game just being extremely solid and not simply me being stuck in some nostalgic haze whenever I boot it up.

I'm not really sure what I wanted to say with this, other than outing myself as having been a Bart vs. the Space Mutants enjoyer long ago (though I never even beat the first stage. Should probably remedy that some day...), but, you know, video games can be good, or something.

Soundtrack highlight:
Quick Man Stage

vjaVisq.jpg

38. August 9th | Final Fantasy XVI | Playstation 5 | 65h | ☆☆☆½
FFXVI always felt a bit strange to me. A new Final Fantasy should be the most hyped thing to me, but even though I was really impressed by what was shown pre-release, I wasn't really looking forward to it that much or feel any need to get it day 1. Maybe there are too many great games releasing these days so even something like a new Final Fantasy is treated like an everyday occurrence, or maybe it's because FF7R2 is actually the Final Fantasy I need in my life, but whatever the case, it just felt like a game among many, and that's not how I want a new Final Fantasy to feel like.

Playing the game, I sort of get that same feeling. I don't hate FFXVI, and I don't love it either. I do like it, but it has very clear flaws and if I were to suddenly rank the entire mainline series, it'd be on the lower half. To its defense, I do get a lot of the decisions made with XVI, and it at least feels like a complete game unlike XV, but it feels a lot like the developers focused so much on having it feel complete that they sort of just created a, still good, skeleton of something that could have been great.

Thing is, Final Fantasy XVI is one of the most inconsistent games I've played in a very long while. Every time it does something well, you can almost expect it to do almost the exact same thing later on, and it'll suddenly be done in a much worse or unpolished way. The plot flips between actually some really good scenes with extremely high production values and great writing, and some that look like they were from a budget PS4 game, with characters acting like idiots or the game suddenly forgetting the wider lore, or that Clive actually can't teleport within the logic of the story and it just being a gameplay convenience. It's also insane that this multi-million game made by people with so much experience working in this genre, and probably also having played a lot of games in it, almost entirely rips off a plot point from FFIV and does it so much worse than that very simple RPG from 1991.

The pacing as well, where it sometimes knows exactly when to rush through a sequence and when to take it slow, and other times being in way too much of a hurry or crawling the entire game to a halt for no apparent reason. Everyone's been complaining about the mandatory fetch quests between main missions, and I have to agree with those complaints. They're fine early on, but become a bit egregious as the game goes, especially since Clive, seems to get a new seal or pin or whatever to put on every time in order for townspeople to trust him, so it's just the exact same structure over and over again, which is kind of a disappointment and not only becomes pretty boring, but also makes the world feel really artificial and video game-y.

The pacing is also sort of hurt by the fact that almost no character other than Clive really matters to the story, so it's hard to really care about a lot of what's going on for them since the game doesn't really seem to care either, and just use them as instruments for Clive's journey onward, and it's super annoying since it sort of gives interesting outlines to so many different characters, and then just don't let them really do much. Jill is obviously the biggest offender here, being around the entire game and barely getting anything to do herself and mainly just existing for Clive to either rescue her or her failing to help Clive. Misogyny or just plain bad writing? I'm not really the right person to judge that, but I do know that she's certainly not the only character with unfulfilled potential in the game.

I mean, I love Dion of course, and Gav is a good guy, I guess, but they don't really matter much in the grand scheme of things, and I wish I just got to know them a bit better, have them actually be with Clive on the adventure in more active roles, so that a lot of the game's more emotional scenes would land better, and make me care more about Valisthea as a realm where actual people live and not just tools to move the plot along sometimes. I like Clive, don't get me wrong, but it's not like the game is built upon foundations where it only could have only one good character, or just one main party member for the entire game for that matter. Not to be obnoxious and compare with [popular game], but playing Baldur's Gate 3 has really lead me to believe that just being able to pick a party, having some dynamism in the dialogue and some spontaneous conversations during missions (both main and some side quests that would resonate with different characters), would go a long way to make these characters so much better, without even needing to give them more screen time in the main story.

This pacing issue sadly goes for battles as well. I do want to stress that despite the game being maybe a bit too easy, I actually do enjoy the combat and how you can string different abilities together in a satisfying way, and it always looks great no matter what, but battles can certainly drag at times. Most of the time it's just enough as long as you know what you're doing and how to drain stagger bars quickly, but other times (Titan) the game just doesn't know when it's time to wrap a fight up. Like, the production values on some of the boss fights are out of this world, like "this is the most expensive thing I've ever seen" levels, so it's extremely sad that these legitimately fun and visually interesting fights sometimes instead of making me feel like "this is the coolest shit I've ever seen" (though I did definitely think that during the entire Bahamut fight), and instead "this was the coolest thing I've ever seen ten minutes ago, but why is it still going on?"

It doesn't feel great to do nothing but complain about a game that, at the end of the day, I really did like and think was an above average experience, but FFXVI has such glaring issues that it's hard to overlook them. The highs, that I can't really talk about, are extremely high, though, and outside of those main story cool-downs with the fetch quests, I wasn't ever really bored during my 65 hours of playtime where I did 100% of the side content without ever growing tired of the game. The game is 90% combat and running through beautiful but pretty empty landscapes, but I'm honestly fine with that because 1) I really did enjoy the combat, and 2) I don't think every video game world has to exist as some sort of toy box for the player. Sometimes it's nice to just have one that feels sort of like a very unremarkable place that you just have to traverse through to get from point A to point B, taking in the sights and not much else. Doesn't really sound very enticing now that I'm reading it, but I guess there was something zen-like about it that I really enjoyed?

The soundtrack is great, of course, maybe the best of 2023, though honestly also one of the weaker Final Fantasy soundtracks? I don't know, just like with the rest of the game, the highs are extremely high, but I feel like a lot of the music outside of boss battles aren't particularly memorable. Not bad, but I can't really remember any of it off the top of my head, which is sort of disappointing. Still, can't wait for that FFXVI DLC for Theatrhythm later this year!

So Final Fantasy XVI is a complete game, but you can certainly see cracks in the foundation in a lot of places, and that's extra frustrating since every issue can so clearly be fixed with some more or less minor tweaks that would have made it great, but I honestly think the game is the victim of rushed development rather than some incompetence from the developers. Square got all the fundamentals in there, but there's no meat on the bone in a lot of places, and it really feels like they just didn't have the time to just do some tweaking on things, so in the end we got a good first draft, but not what the game could have been with a bit more time in the oven.

Oh, and the game also seems to think that five years is actually a very short period of time where nothing happens, and that mothers don't age, but I digress.

Soundtrack highlight:
Ascension

lqyNUXi.jpg

39. August 21st | Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic | Nintendo Switch | 34h | ☆☆☆½
Honestly ashamed it took me 20 years to play this fantastic game, and I remember how extremely well received KotOR was back in the day, but I wasn't an Xbox kid (and don't think I even knew it came out for PC), so never got around to it. I have now, though, and to get in the spirit of 2003, I also played as what I assume would be an acceptably cringy OC from around that era – Tifa Strife, who wields a green and red lightsaber to show that she's a Jedi, but with a dark side to her. Extremely embarrassing, but that's too essential a part of the early 2000's experience to ignore.

As for the game itself it does have its issues, like Bioware at that time having zero cutscene direction, and especially Kashyyyk and Unknown World feeling as if about half of their maps and content must have been cut during development because they're so much shorter than the others. I also don't super vibe with this sort of DnD type of combat and I feel like the game is pretty bad at teaching the player its more intricate mechanics, and am still not 100% sure what some of the stats mean, or why charisma and persuasion are two different things. I also think it's sort of dumb that this game is set hundreds (or thousands?) of years before the Star Wars movies, but the style of fashion and architecture looks basically exactly the same as in those. Iconography is very strict in a galaxy far, far away, I guess.

Despite all this, though, I absolutely loved the game, and it might honestly be my favourite Bioware game of the ones I've played (which are, to be fair, only the Mass Effect games.) I've heard KotOR II has more interesting, more subversive writing and I'm looking forward to that experience, but what I really appreciated about this first game is how extremely well it executes on a fairly traditional Star Wars story, and within it manages to be simulation of the struggles of following the Jedi path, and completely through gameplay really shows why it's so easy to stray to the dark side. I sadly can't play evil in video games for some reason, so I obviously followed that path, and so I really got a taste of how tempting it is to sometimes just say fuck it and either ignore someone's plea for help, or instead of solving something peacefully just hacking down whatever stood in my path, and I absolutely loved how tedious it really could be to do the "right" thing in a lot of instances, and how there's rarely any decent reward for actually being nice over choosing evil. I also really liked that most dialogue, as far as I can tell, doesn't actually change your alignment, or at least not by much, so even though I played as a Jedi the entire playthrough, my character was still kind of an ass in some situations, and her social incompetence did not mean that she suddenly was seen as a villain by everyone around her.

I was also super impressed by how different each planet feels, and how what you do to get to each map piece also differs, from graduating from the Sith Academy on Manaan, to hunting for a Krayt Dragon on Tatooine, or exploring underwater on Manaan (which lead to me being banned from the planet afterwards, but that's the fun of RPGs like this; some poorly chosen dialogue or actions come with a high price and you just have to live with that.) All of them obviously have the galaxy's hottest card game, Pazaak, and some have swoop racing (surprisingly fun!), but they all have their own identity and people inhabiting them, with their own issues and side missions you can help them with, with tangible consequences if you do or don't do them. Not always beneficial or even that noticeable, but still actual consequence and a feeling that you actually made a change for this person or this place. I don't know, I just love games where the current state of things is a bit dynamic in that way, and where you get some say in where things go and actually feel a change happening, even if the main story's broad strokes are set in stone. I always had that issue with especially Mass Effect 2 (a game I love dearly) and 3 (a game I... appreciate), where there's certainly dialogue options here and there, but it doesn't really feel like anything changes other than Shepard moving more towards either paragon or renegade. That was certainly not the case here, and I enjoyed that aspect so, so much.

What else? Good characters outside of that one droid you get before on stealth mission and then never use again, fun interactions within the party. Every piece of headgear makes characters look like idiots when equipped. Darth Malak is a pretty weak villain, but he at least gets some good lines in his final moments, and the fight against him is fittingly challenging if you don't have the right force powers. The soundtrack captures the feel of Star Wars perfectly. I think that's it? I thought the twist was great, despite knowing about it beforehand, and my only reload to, uh, reroll, I guess, something instead of living with the consequences was in order to save Bastila at the end.

I wouldn't really recommend the Switch port, by the way. I don't know how KotOR is on PC these days, but I had two major issues with this port: some cutscenes the game would just skip NPC dialogue completely and jump to whenever the player character got to choose an answer, and that did not only rob me of a lot of context for certain things, but also some of the game's fantastic dialogue. It also just crashes whenever it feels like it, more than any other Switch game I can remember playing. Especially in the final area (which has some corridors with endlessly respawning enemies that are just hell to get through, by the way) I felt like I had to save on every new screen just to be safe, because it crashed at least three or four times just in that area alone.

Soundtrack highlight:
Bastila Shan Theme

ng6J4ND.jpg

40. August 23rd | Yakuza | Playstation 2 | 17h | ☆☆☆
Okay, so, uh, I recently bought a new laptop, and I am obviously not openly going to admit to illegal emulation on a public forum, but let's pretend like I tried out Yakuza on a PS2 emulator and maybe I could get it to play at 1080p without any slowdown. This is obviously just a fantasy, but I still played Yakuza (how? No one knows...) to 100% completion, as I always do with these games, and it was both surprisingly pleasant, and pretty painful at times.

If I were to describe Yakuza with one word, it'd probably be "clunky." The fixed camera angles can be a real nightmare and even I who's spent so many games in Kamurocho could get lost whenever it suddenly swung around and Kiryu was running the opposite direction, and it gets even worse in combat when it just suddenly shifts to an angle where I can't see the enemy anymore. The combat itself is also generally just pretty terrible, with Kiryu often feeling like he's trying to attack in the wrong direction and the R1 lock-on sort of working, but also not at all whenever it feels like it. Seriously, almost every fight against multiple enemies is a nightmare because Kiryu's just confused about where to look, and it doesn't help that the dodge is honestly pretty bad, or at least has way fewer i-frames. Also annoying how there's a loading screen before every fight, but it's not too bad since combat outside of missions is surprisingly rare for a large part of the game. Unsurprisingly, the Jo Amon fight in this game doesn't exactly feel great and super fair, though I did somehow beat him eventually.

At the same time, this is still very much a Yakuza game, just on a smaller scale. Sure, it doesn't play very well, but the DNA is there, and I'm pretty sure I saw some animations here that are used in the games even to this day. You still run around Kamurocho, still do a lot of substories (pretty bad in this game, admittedly, but at least most of them are very short), do some mini-games, and live the Kamurocho life which is sort of better than in most other games. I mean, there's less to do and what's there is worse than usual, but I love Kamurocho's atmosphere in this game. It's almost always night or rain, and the streets are all lit up by hazy lights, and you're getting jumped by people trying to sell you on hostess clubs or whatever on most streets.

There's a seediness to this PS2 Kamurocho that really sells it as this pretty bad place to be, especially certain streets, and it feels like every future game talks about it as this hive of scum and villainy, but it never really feels like it. Here, you can really tell that, while yes, ordinary citizens can walk around there, you can never feel quite safe or know what lurks around the corner, and that adds a lot to give Yakuza a very unique identity in this series (though maybe 2 feels the same? I actually do own that on PS2, but I haven't played it) that I can appreciate.

Storywise I've never been a big fan of this one when I've played Kiwami, and it's not like it's any different here. It does become a bit better by not having the Majima Everywhere system, but it's still a fairly boring story where things start happening pretty much out of nowhere by the end and there's not much focus to the whole thing, despite the plot being really simple and straightforward by this franchise's standards. It's not on the same level of bad as 4, but... I don't know. It starts out well, but somewhere just loses me completely, and that's a shame. I always did like the ending, though, and the game does have a good final boss at least. Maybe a bit too easy compared to the Kiwami fight, but still good.

The terrible voice acting and localization are mostly a plus for me, by the way. Kiryu can sometimes be a bit too flat, and this Goofy-voiced Date seems to be the only one who can at least sometimes pronounce Japanese words correctly, but it is a lot of fun. I mean, who could ever forget classics like "GO! Killthisarrogant Mo ther fu cker", or "Step the fuck up, it's time to die?" God, I get a tiny bit happier just thinking about these lines.

Soundtrack highlight:
Funk Goes On

GZwjtOk.jpg

41. August 29th | Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time | Playstation 3 | 8h 42m | Replay | ☆☆☆½
This neverending marathon of Ratchet games continues, and this time on one of the best games in the franchise! Also one of the games I bought with my PS3 (the other was FFXIII) when I got that in 2011, and one where I lost my original save file that was almost at the end of the game because of that fun Sony hacking incident, where I got a new PSN account for some reason, and then the save corrupted when I tried to transfer it over to it. Oh well, at least I got Pursuit Force and Wipeout from it.

A Crack in Time is a lot of fun, unsurprisingly. I genuinely think the script is maybe the worst it's been in a mainline Ratchet game, and the humor almost never lands at all (though it's also just inoffensive at worse), but playing it is great, I mean. Also sort of feels like a sequel to a game that doesn't exist, because I feel like it introduces things that I'm supposed to know about and have been in the series before, but somehow haven't, but maybe I'm just being pedantic.

Playing it, I mean, is what's so much fun. Also seeing a PS3 game that both looks good and runs great is a surprise (unpopular opinion maybe, but I really think no other generation's graphics have aged worse overall). It is mainly just a continuation of what every previous R&C game has been, meaning a lot of running 'n gunning, and some occasional platforming, but also more platforming than in, say, Tools of Destruction since there are several optional, smaller planets that exist just as platforming challenges and are a lot of fun. The weapon arsenal is maybe not the best in the series, but it gets the job done, and outside of the cryo-mine glove I did get use all of them enough to get them upgraded. They also do more damage (or enemies have less health, I guess), than in ToD, so we're back to combat feeling satisfying and not just tedious and dragged out, while Ratchet also can take a bit more of a beating, even on Hard Mode (which honestly isn't really ever hard). Always annoying that enemies have a tendency to shoot at you from off-screen, but it's not a huge deal.

This game also does what no game has done before: making good Clank sections. I mean, I like his Lemmings mini-game in Size Matters, but actually controlling and doing things as Clank is finally fun this time, and also sort of gratifying to play today as I remember having a pretty tough time with some of his temporal puzzles, but not really having any issues at all this time. I would normally say low difficulty on puzzles kind of defeats the purpose, but I actually really enjoy how clever they are, and how novel it feels to have to record Clank and time different recordings' movements to do things in the right order. It also looks like you're some insane 4D genius when everything clicks and the recordings sync perfectly, which is always s fun feeling. Clank's weird planet lasering to destroy time vortexes or whatever are kind of boring, though, but there aren't too many of these sections, and they can be completed pretty quickly.

Soundtrack highlight:
House of Synth

Currently playing
Baldur's Gate 3 (PS5)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
142. Wolfenstein 3D: Spear of Destiny (Steam Deck) - Another Wolf3D expansion, but unlike the 30odd levels added for Episodes 4-6, this is its own separate expansion pack. Its higher quality that's for sure, there's actually new stuff here (unlike Eps 4-6), with new bosses, new tile sets/backgrounds (trust me, it makes a difference to me!) and while we dont really get any new regular enemies, the maps do use all enemies from Eps 1-3 which is a step up from the other episodes in the main game.

Gameplay wise its business as usual - explore the maps, shoot anything that gets in your way, and occasionally fight a boss or two! It plays identically to the rest of the episodes, and has pretty darn good map designs (we arent flooded with narrow corridor after narrow corridor!)

There's not much else to say... the new bosses feel very similar to the old ones, aside the monster you fight at the end, that was a nice change... there's even ghosts that get in your way during that fight which can be stunned briefly by shooting them.

All in all it plays great, its super addictive, and its nice just to have a number of new maps to shoot through. After the disappointment of the prequel maps, I was glad that this expansion got right back on track quality wise with the first game. I'll have to give the rest of the Wolfenstein series a try now... I never did do New Colossus or Return to Castle Wolfenstein...

143. Tetris Effect (PSVR2) - My one sole complaint is how the "story/experience" mode in this is over fairly soon. But Im going back for trophies + expert mode so Im far from done with it. But otherwise, this might just be my favourite VR game yet! Its gorgeous, for a game that's "just" Tetris, I just love how each area looks and sounds - it completely enhances it beyond just being a number port of Tetris. I really get pulled into every area, and my eyes just melt as the areas around me fill up with colour and change... its such a trippy experience and one that's totally improved thanks to VR, I cant imagine playing it any other way.

The other modes are great fun as well - basically challenge modes that put you in certain situations and you have to act quickly... Definitely the best version of Tetris out there by a longshot.

144. Alan Wake Remastered (PS5) - Getting hyped for the sequel, it seemed like a good time to revisit the first game, and Im now super hyped for the sequel. At its heart its an action game where the light is your main weapon (well that and a good gun), but there are also a few small sections set in the day time where its just exploring and taking in the scenery - I actually love it when the games have a bit of downtime, there are two main sections in this game where you are given a fairly nice stretch of road and wilderness to explore during the daytime, to just take in the gorgeous visuals and game lore... I actually kinda wish there were a couple of longer bits like this in other chapters, kinda like how the game was open world originally, Id have actually enjoyed exploring the area and interacting with the locals.

The action itself is fairly solid, if repetitive at times. Again, I love the settings you explore, especially as the darkness gets more malevolent, since it really starts interacting with the environment, things feel more uncomfortable as darkness permiates everywhere, trees and other foliage start to violently thrash about in the howling wind, faint whispers can be heard as it feels like your surrounded, with the darkness just waiting to pounce. Its definitely a game that benefits from playing with headphones.
Combat wise is basic - you can dodge enemy attacks (which you'll do frequently), you shine a light (usually your flashlight) on them to drop their barriers, then shoot them with conventional weapons. There's also inanimate objects that just require light to defeat, that's where the flaregun and flash grenades come in handy, operating much like smart bombs and are the most valuable of ammo in the game. As I said, it can get a bit repetitive at times - levels are long (to make up for only having 6 chapters) and sometimes it feels like enemies have barriers that take too long to destroy. Unfortunately the combat doesnt really evolve over time, what you see in chapter 1 is what you get in chapter 6 basically.

I mentioned lore above, Im not always a huge fan of this stuff, but AW is one of the games that does it well - It falls into three main categories - manuscript pages, radio shows, and "Night Springs" TV shows. The pages are part of the main plot - basically you wrote a plot of a book that is coming true - it can sometimes shed light on other character motivations that dont get much screen time, or foreshadow certain events (sometimes chapters in advance). Its a cool narrative device that works well in the game.
The radio shows are more just background info on characters that inhabit the town your in, given to you by an easy listening style overnight DJ. I love these bits, it injects a sense of warmth and... realness at points where you are probably running between darkness infested encounters!
And lastly, the Night Springs stuff is just a series of cheesy Twilight Zone/Black Mirror shorts where improbable things happen, with unexpected outcomes. Again, it works well in universe and while the episodes arent as good as classic TZ stuff, its still a nice little inclusion that works within the boundries of the game.

Plot wise I had a blast. Its a fun tale with a few cool twists and colourful characters. Some great set pieces as well (the fourth chapter has two great bits - escaping the house at the beginning as it sorta tears itself apart, and the rock concert later on which was a highlight of my initial playthrough as well, holds up super well).

Issues (aside the repetitive combat) include the birds - which are just really annoying to deal with every single time, some chapters feeling too long (chapter 5 felt rather underwhelming to be honest, I feel like I should have enjoyed it more setting wise but you get basically 0 daylight time so the town setting feels a bit under utilised), the game just casually drops Mr Scratch into the plot for literally 3 seconds and is like "yeah dont worry about him"... (he's easily the best thing about American Nightmare) which is wild considering what a cool antagonist he becomes. Oh, and the camera drove me mad for the entire run of the game - it never felt like Alan was positioned properly on screen - when I play an over the shoulder action game, I prefer to have it so my character sticks to the left/middle of the screen, but this game keeps alternating all the time no matter how many times I reset it... I think its related to how the flashlight works, but it never didnt annoy me.

So overall I loved it. Got the DLC chapters to hit up next before the sequel hits. Im glad I replayed the game, its made me appreciate it more, and has me super hyped for the sequel which already looks amazing.

Next Up:

Tetris Effect VR
Runner
Rez Infinite (trophies)
Lost more VR stuff
MGS Rising
Splatterhouse (PS3)
NMH3
Bayonetta 3

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

[/QUOTE]

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
63: Grandia II. End: 10/6/2023.

This is a replay of a game I hadn't played in a long time. The translation was quite rough, but the gameplay itself was solid. Incredibly solid. And that's the most important thing. This game still holds up as an incredibly solid turn-based RPG.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
64: Pikmin 1. End: 10/8/2023.

This is actually the first time I've beaten the first Pikmin. It's weird coming back to the first game since it is far more simplistic than the later games, but it also doesn't hold the player's hand to anywhere near the same degree as said later games. It feels exceptionally odd coming from Nintendo.

This game is also twisted AF. I got the "Happy" ending. The game even said so. I lost over 800 Pikmin over the course of my playthrough..

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
A bumper update as I somehow managed to be rather productive this week lol. Managed to tick off Alan Wake ahead of the sequel, as well as a few other games that have been sitting on my backlog pile for a while. Might still go back to Turtles at some point for that "true final boss" but I need to find time.

145. Alan Wake DLC (PS5/Steam Deck) - Since the DLC is fairly short I bunched the three into one release:

The Signal: This chapter picks up where the end of the game left off. Its a fairly short chapter, maybe about the length of one of the episodes of the main game (though honestly I kinda feel like its even shorter than that) and mainly reuses areas and content from previous chapters. Its... not great. The plot is probably the best thing about it, but that's full of spoilers so I wont really go into it here, but I feel the combat really goes too far in terms of annoyance - early on the enemies become less visible - so its even harder to see them coming (and its not like they are easy to see to begin with), so combat becomes real annoying - plenty of times Im sucker punched, with dodging feeling rather useless.
The end part just decends further into bad game design, as if you dont have flair gun ammo, the fight is just so drawn out and rubbish... its easily the worst part of the game for me...

All in all, a 6/10 DLC on a 8-9/10 game...

The Writer: Continuing on after the lackluster Signal DLC, this one thankfully ends up much better. First, it has more fun with the setting - getting more wild/abstract compared to what Signal did. Secondly, combat is either less frequent or better handled, as I hated the encounters in the first DLC but mainly enjoyed them here (still a few annoying moments mind you), and lastly I just really enjoyed the story more - but that's more because its moving things along further. All round a solid piece of DLC that I enjoyed and didnt overstay its welcome.

American Nightmare: The mini pseudo sequel for AW that sadly didnt get remastered (worth it for Mr Scratch alone) was slightly different to how I remember it - the ending and lack of end boss surprised me, its totally not what I remember lol. Not that Im really complaining, AWs combat isnt exactly amazing so skipping the end boss fight trope was wise.
The game itself is more polished than the main game though - flashlight is more "powerful" and recharges faster. Guns are much better and dodging works almost too well now, so combat all round works better.
The game is formatted in three main areas that you revisit, groundhog day style. They are more open than AWs more linear chapters/levels and there in lies the issue - replaying the games back to back reminded me of one thing - AW works best on a linear path, where straying off said path could be dangerous due to the darkness really chasing you down with various Taken, but the risk can be worth it when you find hidden supplies. There's a strong, oppressive feeling in the air which supplements the atmosphere the game oozes perfectly. I love it. Problem is... that's entirely absent here - you can wander around with almost no punishment, and while enemy encounters ramp up in the final third it never hits the same beats the main game did.

The story is nice, giving us some plot for the support cast as well as some backstory on how the darkness works. It just sadly feels repetitive, bizarrely low stakes (considering the situation) and just low energy... I feel they over corrected on AW's combat a little too much, making it too easy to complete with you never really feeling the need to use the flare gun for example. The areas are too big, no chance you'll get trapped or surrounded for tense battles... its sad, if the original had the tweaks of this game, it'd be great. A solid 7ish/10 I think... maybe an 8. I enjoyed it, but felt it went on too long and didnt embrace the scenario enough. I feel they could have benefitted by making it a more linear game while still doing the groundhog day scenario - like Siren Blood Curse sorta attempted.

146. Sega Rally (GBA) - The arcade version of Sega Rally is yet another amazing Sega arcade game that's gorgeous, fast paced, insanely addictive and a timeless classic. However that's running on hardware that even the Saturn at the time couldnt replicate perfectly. So how's a GBA gonna manage?
Visually? Not great, it honestly looks completely incoherent at times, with it being insanely hard to see where you need to go because the screen is an absolute mess of pixels that makes it genuinely hard to corner and even just understand where the barriers are.

Performance? Nope, sense of speed us non existent and the game chugs at certainly a sub 60FPS, and I suspect its closer to a sub 30FPS (how badly I dont know).

So you'd think its terrible right? Well you'd not be wrong, but strangely, I was completely addicted to this, couldnt put it down all weekend! I dont know what it says about the game (or me...) but its another example of a objectively bad game that I had a better time with than technically good games...
The game itself has only four courses and 3 cars at the beginning - the usual SR fare. Clearing the rally unlocks more in the shop to buy (new GPs, new cars) and you repeat this as you play.
Clearing GPs is fairly easy, clearing in 1st place can be a little more difficult... Each of the four courses per Rally are almost more like Time Trials... as you gotta catch up to the cars in each, and you only have 3 other cars on each course - so the only way to hit first place is to over take all three per race. Miss even one in the first 3 races, and you'll never finish first in the last race...

For the most part, courses are fairly fine to navigate, however there's usually one course that is a more tricky prospect... and here's where the visuals come back to hinder again... certain courses (like the town, or the jungle/forest) have really narrow areas with hideous collision detection and messsy low res courses, its hard to tell where is safe to position your car, and the sense of speed is so bad that its not immediately clear when your slowing down to clipping the invisible boundries...
Oh, and you can only restart a rally, not a course in the rally. So you gotta drive four perfect races in a row. Good luck!

As you unlock more rallies the difficulty increases... there were certain ones which I really struggled to hit rank 1... lots of trial and error and testing other cars until I found one that suited the course. The last of the rally's (world) is an utter nightmare just to hit the "completion" requirement (which is rank 3rd or above - as this is what triggers the end credits). The problem with the courses is as above - hard to discern courses, corners and obstacles... but its also got tighter requirements to even reach the other cars... the first course especially took me so many tries to finish ahead of the other three cars because the opening 3rd of the course is a forest full of trees as it rains, and you honestly cant see shit when driving... the only good thing about this is that its the first course, so restarting hurts less compared to if it was the last course.

Eventually I did manage to go on a pretty great run, legit almost clawing my way to the top positions, but settled for 3rd. Took me hours though - which is where my addictive point loops back around. Despite its looks and performance, I couldnt stop playing it. I wasnt really frustrated, bored or angry, but rather... entertained? I genuinely enjoyed playing this through even though its got so many issues! Ill have to boot the Saturn or PS2 ports up for some real SR in the near future...

147. No More Heroes 3 (PS5) - A good game, just not enough of it... The game has obviously had a shit ton of content cut, some of the story does not hit with me at all, and the open world areas are completely useless (more insulting considering how much the game needed content, and they wasted resources on them).
The game does its cutscenes really well, they are clearly where a good portion of time and effort went into (heck, Suda said 1 hour of the cutscenes were cut!), the boss fights themselves are still a blast and super unique (nothing else like it out there) and the combat mechanics themselves are great, if still a little janky. Its just hurt by the fact that there are 0 levels in this game - you know how in NMH1&2 you'd have unique areas to fight through? Well all those got cut (I assume, they must have been planned at some point) so now you just get BS arena fights against a couple of enemies every chapter, a vastly inferior way to handle things.

To make matters worse, a few plot points/characters are handled insanely badly, wasting several great characters/promising bosses... It feels like the game thinks its trying to be smart/funny at times but its really just disappointing. I posted a more spoilerly downbeat take in the OT, if you care. Its a shame, this should have been the sequel people waited for... but honestly Id compare it in so many ways to Shenmue 3 (well, not in open worlds, somehow Shenmue 3 wins that one, which is how you know you fucked up)

148. Bloodwash (PS5) - A nice short horror game for this Halloween season. Its designed in the style of a PS1 era horror game - with CRT/VHS filters, low poly character models, and a somewhat cheesy story that still manages to be really un nerving (the low poly models actually work really well to portray this - some of the character models are really disturbing). Its got a few jump scares that are well executed, and the extended "lore" of the game was interesting... While its short, its effective and I had a blast playing it through. Hoping to get through a couple more indie horror games this season...

149. Chuck Rock (Mega CD) - An impulse purchase based on my memories of the game many decades back (yup, I feel old...), Chuck Rock was a game I originally played on the Amiga 500, then Game Gear. But in researching the best version of the game, it was mentioned that the MCD version has far more stages compared to the Amiga or Mega Drive versions, so that cemented my decision. I can definitely see where they increased the stage count, level 1 for example feels way longer now, but the levels never outstay their welcome - all are really fast paced platformer stages that have great forward momentum - its a faster game than I remember!
The rock mechanic is cool but kinda feels a bit undercooked outside a couple of stages - where you use them as platforms, as shelter etc. But most of the time they are very optional.
The only weak point is the bosses... Many can outright be cheesed, its actually easier than trying to learn legit patterns to defeating them.
The soundtrack - another thing Im not used to (Amiga had no music in stages) - is really nice. It fits the game nicely and is very up beat/bouncy.

Overall, its a game I remember loving in my childhood, and still love now. Im impressed how well it held up to be honest!

150. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2003 (Xbox) - The Konami videogame based on the reboot animated series. Ideally I like to finish the games 100% at least in terms of bosses, but Im making an exception on this one...

So the game itself is a side scrolling brawler, much like the excellent arcade games of old. However... it lacks pretty much all the charm of them. While they get the visuals right (cell shading was absolutely the right choice), the audio is marred by voice clips repeated every few seconds (seriously), and the gameplay is so very shallow... you basically have one combo you'll use over and over for the entire game. Collision detection against certain flying enemies is abysmal, levels are too long, boss fights are bad, and in order to get the real final boss, you have to play it through four times... and honestly that's the bit that finished me off. I did it with Leo (last level on Easy, its abysmal) and the thought of doing the game another 3 times from the beginning is so unappealing I refuse to do it... If I got the game back in the day and had nothing better to play Id do it, but looking at the game releases next week... yeah, not a fucking chance.

151. DinoBreak (PS5) - A 90s throwback that plays just like a Capcom survival horror game with dinosaurs. Its a great, fun little game that apes Dino Crisis lovingly. Combat wise I had a blast - weapons feel solid, the Katana feels amazing to use and slices dinos up nicely! There's also a risk/reward system where you can get rid of eggs (that will hatch into dinos) to reach items (valuable stuff like shotgun ammo) or leave them be and not risk an encounter. Of course, watch your aim as a stray bullet can be rather dangerous in these encounters!
I played it as a tank controls/static camera set up just like RE/DC of old but there's tons of tweaks on offer to make the game easier/harder and change viewpoints etc. entirely dependant on how you want to play.
Its not the most amazing thing ever (story is your standard stuff) but I honestly just had a great time with the combat/exploration/puzzles as it would have felt right up home launching a good 25 years ago!

Next Up:

Spider-Man 2
Sonic Superstars
Super Mario Wonder
Runner
Rez Infinite (trophies)
Lost more VR stuff
MGS Rising
Splatterhouse (PS3)
NMH3
Bayonetta 3

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
48. Cocoon ★★★★

Cocoon is the kind of game where you don't want to say too much, in this case it's not so much that the puzzles are just that mind bending, more that it's just a well woven piece of craft that excels more in how it teaches and guides the player without words, yet can convey everything it needs to.
This is helped by the default control scheme being one button for interacting and the stick for movement, with nothing more, take that Balan Wonderworld! Cocoon delves into concepts (concepts about delving you could say) without going as deep or complex as it could, for its own benefit though, the game does just enough to get you thinking without falling prey to tedium that would accompany increased complexity of its core gimmick.

At times the game can feel a bit like an orb shuffling adventure (it makes sense in context) with what I'd call bouts of bitesize backtracking as an acceptable if not sometimes hassle worthy inevitability to put your plans into motion.
Perhaps lacking that x factor that elevated inside for me, Cocoon was worth the 5 hours or so it takes to spin its journey of…uhhhh, a lil' bug duder doing stuff to take down bigger bugs or…something, well whatever wider meaning the plot has is lost on me, makes for a funky aesthetic though.

49. Lies of P ★★★

The easy jab here is to point out that Lies of P is like a puppet carved in the likeness of Bloodborne that wishes to be a real From Software game, I mean there's inspired by, and then there's this.
Look, that's not to dismiss the additions Lies of P adds to a very familiar formula, or the merits to its more direct (albeit still fairly cryptic) dark storytelling.
It's just hard for me to overlook just how "bloodborne at home" lies of P is, to truly both its benefit and detriment, if you're gonna crib then you could do far FAR worse than this, to even come as close as it does is an applause worthy endeavor.

I think this is where the divide for this title will come into play, on one hand you'll have the angle that this here is the best non From soulslike this side of Nioh, and as a Korean studio's big swing out of their wheelhouse to my knowledge, it's punched well above its weight. The other, well it's just lesser Bloodborne, reminiscent of numerous kickstarted spiritual successors that rode the mid 2010s wave, except this time the inspiration is still very much alive and kicking and it doesn't involve any auteurs rising from the grave of long lost franchises either.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery as they say, and From should be quite flattered, Lies of P gets a lot of things right, the combat feels on point, the striking gothic art direction looms large, the bosses also kick the shit out of you and take the wrong lessons from modern From Software boss design with 7 hit combos filled with delayed flailing swings, but hey at least they don't tend to take 75% of your HP off in one hit here, yes I'm still mad Elden Ring.
You got your tight and winding level design with shortcuts galore, your renamed estus flasks, souls, stats (Motivity? Advance? Yes, thes are words that make sense to me in regard to a character build!) and such. A few wrinkles like the arguably Sekiro esque swappable limb that can grapple, spew acid or take the form of an explosive shield give some more unique flavour, the fully upgraded puppet string grapple allowing some sneaky shortcutting over gaps using enemies like a hookshot target being a particular highlight.

Speaking of Sekiro, they also adopt a less vital approach to that game's parry which works alongside the step dodge, health bar regain on hit and block to create an interesting defensive hodgepodge of ideas, in essence I'd say that this leads Lies of P's combat to feel more static and less mobile, where boss fights start feeling like a version of punch out where you can move around a bit more but ultimately can't escape the inevitable tracking strikes heading your way and must respond appropriately. In turn this means I don't quite rate the bosses here, and had no shame in abusing the summon AI option after every first solo attempt in order to stick to the more engaging flow of standard enemies and light exploration.

Let me give props for style points, I can don an owl mask, an umbrella rapier that unfurls itself as a guard point, as I swagger and stabber through the steampunk like streets of Krat and its robotic puppet hordes, for every facsimile of a From area trope (poison swamps? You better believe it, now industrial waste edition!) you get a nice twist like the grand exhibition centre, a moody train station and opulent opera house, also the cathedral is a cracker of a locale with inner clockwork workings that make me inch towards the 3D Castlevania of my dreams.

As is often the case with me and 30 hour long games, by the endgame I was ready for the game to wrap up, not without it going full JRPG final dungeon on me that gave me unusual flashbacks to slogging up Prison Island in Xenoblade all those years ago. My insistence to smash my head against the final boss for 2 hours plus when I was supposed to be getting sleep almost had the game end on a dour note, after begrudgingly accepting what felt like my 25th defeat in a row I surrendered to sleep, and of course came back the next day and beat the boss on my first refreshed attempt, which is why you don't play games on tilt, something I'll never actually learn regardless.
Quick shout out to some smart changes to From concepts, the estus like healing (thankfully they avoided the blood vials approach) where you can fight your way to earning one more heal when you run out, allowing some in the zone boss comebacks.
And going back to the arm gimmick that mirrors the shinobi prosthetic of sekiro, this doesn't use a depletable currency you have to grind back up and instead a meter that recharges upon death/taking a breather, thus making me actually keep them in use

50. Trombone Champ ★★★

We're already off to a strong start on the gag game because as we all know, there is in fact something funny about the word Tromboner.
Granted a lot of this games eccentric ploys for laughs were already revealed to me with the initial release last year that garnered it a months worth of internet fame on release, now though I was the Hornlord, the one who toots.

I'm not sure its worth looking too deeply into the rhythm game merits of Trombone champ, it is after all quite intentionally designed to make you massacre many a public domain classic with the unorthodox control scheme and off key wailing, perhaps a bit too much so as the difficulty ranking increases and the butchering reaches all new heights of cacophony, still that's the joke right? Grab your gormless looking Wii Music knock offs and bask in zaniness be it mid song genre switches, a peculiar love of baboons or just the escalating meme factor of the visual accompaniments to each track.
The game succeeds in its main mission, it elicits some chuckles, and every now and then I play something that doesn't sound like arse. And even as a joke rhythm game, I've got the feeling it's a better rhythm game than this Persona 5 spinoff I've finally looked into, but that's for another day.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
152. Cultic Chapter 1 (Steam Deck) - Ive grown uninterested in most AAA FPS' since Im a single player type of person... Id rather have a decent campaign than multiplayer. So boomer shooters fit the bill perfectly and nothing quite fits said bill better than Cultic. Its a straight forward plot - dude ends up stumbling upon a cult, much violence ensues. The game has a retro aesthetic that feels like an early PS1 game, while still using sprites for characters like Doom, rather than poly models.
Gameplay wise, again, think Doom. You have these big levels, but I never felt lost. Tons of dudes to shoot, and lots of great weapons to find and utilise. And those weapons... Cultic manages to have them all feel really good to use. There's a certain satisfying "pop" to lining up that perfect headshot, and the game practically discourages playing any other way. Thankfully I had no problems with the controls/aiming on the Steam Deck, and was nailing those headshots in no time. Difficulty wise felt spot on, not too easy, but not unfair either.

Basically, Id rate this as my favourite FPS in a long time... since Doom Eternal probably, better in fact. The levels are well designed, the action is thick and fast and oh so satisfying, and I love the aesthetic they were going for. Music is sparse but when it kicks in, it goes hard.

The only minor issue I had worth noting was the performance. I never did figure out a way to nail a solid 60FPS on it. So instead I capped it at 40Hz/FPS. And its still incredibly smooth, and never dipped after that.

Absolutely recommend it.

Next Up:

Spider-Man 2
Sonic Superstars
Super Mario Wonder
Runner
Rez Infinite (trophies)
Lost more VR stuff
MGS Rising
Splatterhouse (PS3)
Bayonetta 3

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

Joepizza

Sep 20, 2021
Main Post

40/52

PowerWash Simulator (PC) - 2/5: OK game I guess
Kaze and the Wild Mask (PC) - 3/5: Simple and fun game
Signalis (PC) - 4/5: Essential for those who like PS1 style horror games
Last of Us 2 (PS5) - 5/5: Top 10 games I ever played and I not a great fan of the first one.
Drainus (PC) - 3/5 : Can't go wrong with a shmup that have a plot, the absorbing damage mechanic is great too.
Raiden V (PS5) - 2/5: Good but the UI is a bit convoluted to my tastes.
Untitled Goose Game (PS5) - 3/5

Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS5) - 4/5: Incredible graphics, short and tight story, Miles is a great character and the most important: no obligatory stealth segments
Slayers X: Terminal Aftermath: Vengance of the Slayer (PC) - 3/5: Best cliffhanger in game history.
Humanity (PS5) - 3/5: Lemmings 2023
Neon White (PC) - 4/5: Don't let the card+fps intimidate you, this is game is unique and very fun.
Street Fighter 6 (PC) - 5/5: The most complete fighting game ever released.
Dave the Diver (PC) - 3/5: Fun but too long for it's own sake.
Hell Let Loose (PC) - 3/5
Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PS5) - 2/5: The weakest of the new Tomb Raider games, the plot is a mess.
Dead Cells (PS5) - 3/5
Death's Door (PS5) - 2/5: I get the feeling that something is missing in this one or maybe I compared it too much to Tunic.
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (PS5) - 4/5: Most underrated game of the series, would be perfect if they developed the characters more.

Shadow of The Colossus (PS5) - 5/5: Still holds up today.
Dredge (PC) - 2/5: I had high expectations for this one, but the gameplay repeats itself too much and you never got a sense of dread that was supposed to be in a game like this.
Gran Turismo 7 (PS5) - 4/5: This is not a love letter to car lovers, it's a entire book of poems.
Return of the Obra Dinn (PC) - 4/5: The gameplay maybe looks repetitive in the beggining, but please, don't give up and if possible, try the complete ending.
Jet Lancer (PC) - 3/5
Ghost of Tsushima (PS5) - 3/5: The graphics and combat are great, but everything else is underwhelming, specially the story and characters.
Killer Frequency (PC) - 3/5: I was kinda disappointed at the end, but still a fun game.
Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon (PS5) - 5/5: My first AC game and already one of the best games I ever played
Persona 5 Royal (PS5) - 5/5: What more can be said of this one, one of the best JRPG of all times and the gold standard regarding quality of life in the genre
Unpacking (PS5) - 3/5: Unique storytelling
Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (PC) - 3/5: The Evangelion of plataformers game.
Framed Collection (PC) - 3/5: Simple but well done puzzles.
Cadillacs And Dinossaurs (Arcade) - 2/5: Good for it's time maybe.
A Summer's End - Hong Kong 1986 (PC) - 4/5: Short VA with a great OST, stunning art and a heartwarming story
Red Earth (Arcade) - 2/5: Good art, but lacking in the gameplay department.

Next Games:
Doom Eternal (PC)
Contra: Hard Corp's (Genesis)
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (DS)
Spider-Man 2 (PS5)
Mario Wonder (Switch)
Pokemon SoulSilver (DS)
Metroid Prime Remasted (Switch)

Cheat Code

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I have hella procrastinated on actually making art and writing out reviews so I'm just gonna quickfire round the last 8 months so I don't end up posting like 70 reviews at once. I'll do it properly at some point!

Main Post

26) Monument Valley
27) No Longer Home
28) Monument Valley 2
29) Frog Detective: The Haunted Island
30) Frog Detective 2: The Case of the Invisible Wizard
31) Schastye
32) Atomic Heart
33) Donuts 'n' Justice
34) WarioWare Inc: Mega Microgame$!
35) Assemble with Care
36) Puzzle Bobble S-Tribute
37) McPixel
38) There is No Game
39) Devil Daggers
40) Hexcells
41) Squarecells
42) Crosscella
43) Hexcells Plus
44) Hexcells Infinite
45) Post Void
46) Ape Academy 2
47) The Mirror Lied
48) Escape First
49) Pineapple on Pizza
50) The Murder of Sonic the Hedgehog
51) Framed
52) Resident Evil 4
53) Framed 2
54) Milk Inside a Bag of Milk Inside a Bag of Milk
55) Hope Left Me
56) Super Stardust Portable
57) Suicide Guy: Sleepin' Deeply
58) Lighthouse Keeper
59) Bouncy Bullets
60) Seven Doors
61) Emily is Away
62) Macdows 95
63) The Traveler's Path
64) The Room
65) The Case of the Golden Idol
66) Genital Jousting
67) Hi-Fi Rush
68) A Tavern for Tea
69) Agent A
70) The Case of the Golden Idol: The Spider of Lanka
71) Little Postman
72) Hide & Dance!
73) Mom Hid My Game
74) Dead Island 2
75) Disney Speedstorm
76) Rytmos
77) WWE 2K23
78) Saint's Row
79) Street Fighter 6
80) The Room Two

The following is not ordered properly

81) Glass Masquerade
82) Toree 3D
83) The Last Stand Legacy Collection
84) Mario Tennis Aces
85) Super Mario 3D World
86) Bowser's Fury
87) Super Mario Galaxy
88) Super Mario Odyssey
89) Super Mario Bros
90) WarioWare: Get It Together
91) AEW: Fight Forever
92) Marvel's Midnight Suns + DLC
93) The Many Pieces of Mr. Coo
94) Bomb Rush Cyberpunk
95) Mortal Kombat 1
96) Resident Evil 4: Separate Ways
97) Cocoon
98) Pizza Possum
99) Assassin's Creed Mirage

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Main Post

header.jpg

19. A Guidebook of Babel
Played this whilst I was sick with a cold and I enjoyed my time with it. It's a bit of a Moon-lite style game. You play through a snippet of day and can go back and rewrite parts of it to ensure a butterfly effect on other parts of the day.

Basically the story is a cruise ship has sunk and all members on board have died. Their souls are scooped out of the water by the inhabitants of the ship named Babel. These "not-humans" are never given a name but their job is to help people reincarnate in exchange for harvesting their memories. Their memories are needed in the processes that run the ship. You play 4 characters timelines: Braith, a carnie that's trying to hide from his daughter that she's died, Javert, a not-human swimmer (read security), Lanci a not-human head chef and another character that appears later.

It's really very pretty, and the game isn't too difficult since there's a note system that basically spells out the puzzle solutions for you. The problem lies in its translation. This game is just really badly transcribed from Chinese. There's a few grammatical errors and spelling mistakes but it's just so poorly worded sometimes that I failed to understand much of the story beyond the main storyline. There's a lot of lore in this game that just doesn't make any sense in English, which is a shame because a huge amount of effort otherwise has been put into this game. There's so much text in this game from character backstories, maps, item and location descriptions and story notes and all of it is beautifully set out in a book format. It's such a shame that they didn't spend more time on translation efforts.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
153. EDF World Brothers (PS4) - I played this years ago, and to my surprise Id almost cleared hardest mode... but mission 58 basically was a no go. Took me a bit of grinding and weapon searching but I found a good set up for my team and could then clear hardest. And of course the game was lying, ignoring the DLC difficulty, Inferno difficulty (which is traditionally the hardest EDF difficulty) was still left and... weirdly it wasnt that bad. I stuck with the same squad, same basic weapons (did unlock a couple of better versions so upgraded) and basically just kept playing until I won.
It started off easy, the first 30-40 missions were pushovers, basically useful just for grinding armor for the later ones, aside the red ships there was nothing really dangerous going on.
Then those later missions hit... The enemies themselves do decent damage, but I had decent armor by that point and half my team had decent mobility (the other half were basically tanks so high health), and in standard EDF fashion it was just being overhelmed that was the challenge. The standard bugs are non threats, but anything bigger + bugs were suddenly dangerous. Plus enemy spawning devices, shields etc.
It suddenly became a challenge to focus on certain things first WHILE avoiding all the crazy crap happening on screen. Some missions weren't too bad, some were pretty insane and took several retries in order to efficiently wipe out the spawners and bigger enemies and then just survive while healing!

On the easier difficulties, honestly I didnt like the game. The characters were lame for the most part (just stereotypes from various countries) but the nods to the series/4th wall breaking were funny at times. Graphically I liked the change. Musically/audio wise it annoyed the fuck out of me so I turned everything other than sound effects off and just listened to podcasts over it. Gameplay wise... it starts out slower than other EDFs and honestly feels rather annoying until your team clicks. And that there is the reason why Im only just finishing it now! There's tons of characters (I never unlocked them all) instead of the usual handful of classes in main EDF games, most of them felt annoying and gimmicky. I did a lot of swapping before I found a team and weapons that worked for me, after which the entire thing clicked and I spent days playing it. But compared to mainline games which are easy to love and enjoy, this one almost felt like work for a while until I figured it out. Genuinely curious how the sequel will be, but I guess as long as my team and weapons arent nerfed, Ill just do what I did here lol.

Next Up:

Spider-Man 2
Sonic Superstars
Super Mario Wonder
Runner
Rez Infinite (trophies)
Lost more VR stuff
MGS Rising
Splatterhouse (PS3)
Bayonetta 3

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

Morgan J

Oct 26, 2017
Lol, I (don't) wish I could complete 3 games in a year. I have 1 kid (who i rather play with than playing videogames).

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
Main Post

It took a bit longer than last month but I'm already on a better pace with two whole games, and one of them is the first I've finished on my Steam Deck. I think I should definitely still be able to get 52 before the end of the year.

2m4lDdv.jpg
45. Sonic Frontiers: The Final Horizon (Nintendo Switch) - October 19th (19 Hours)
I really enjoyed my time with this overall, but like the main game it can be very uneven. Overall I'd say anything involving platforming with Sonic and friends was legitimately great. Easily some of the most satisfying 3D platforming I've done in a Sonic game. Anything to do with combat though was pretty mediocre. It is great to see more playable characters back in a mainline Sonic game for the first time since 06 and for the most part they play great. Amy is easily the best of the bunch, a better Sonic with a triple jump (though a near useless powerboost), Knuckles is a little stiff with a janky wall climb but still pretty fun to glide around with, and Tails is just broken in the best of ways just like a flying character should be. Unfortunately they all absolutely suck for combat with far too limited movesets in comparison to Sonic. I can at least kinda see what the were going for with Amy though and stacking DOTs with her parry is at least a kind of neat idea. For their platforming challenges though they all feel great and for Amy it's easily her best 3D appearance (though the lack of a hammer jump is sorely missed).

Level design across the board here is great actually, whether it be the little platforming challenges strewn throughout the island, the remixed cyberspace stages or the towers you need to climb with Sonic. They're all a big step up from the base game and feel perfectly tailored to Sonic's movement, creating some of the best and most satisfying level design in a 3D Sonic game. The Cyberspace levels especially are just fantastic and calling them 'remixes' does a disservice to them. From beginning to end while you might recognise one or two bits of level geometry they're otherwise completely original and far better designed with Sonic's moveset in mind (including the Spindash). They have some of the most creative design the series has ever seen, full of alternate paths and different ways to utilise your speed and momentum to fly through them.

The difficulty of the Final Horizon is something I've seen brought up a lot, and personally I actaully really liked it for the most part. I definitely wouldn't mind some checkpointing for the Cyberspace levels and Towers but otherwise I was mostly quite happy with the amount of challenge (even if 4-B took me two hours to beat). What is an issue for me is the Perfect Parry. I could maybe understand this being forced on you in Extreme Mode but it's done for all difficulties and at least on hard I just could not get the timing down for it. It's only forced for two sections even, the Master King trial and the second phase of the final boss. At that point why not just make it completely optional? I'm not ashamed to say I used Easy mode to get past the trial and I just completely ignored the parry for the final boss on hard which really diminished what would've otherwise been a very hype moment.

Speaking of that boss I'm a bit mixed on it. It is definitely one of the hypest moments in the game and anytime a cutscene with Super Sonic 2 came up I was absolutely popping off. I even like the idea of what they were going for here, but in execution it falls flat. There's basically no telegraphing of what you need to do and even the hints you get for 100%ing the DLC don't really help much. At the very least I'm Here - Revisited is a fantastic track and a great theme for the final boss here.

It's also worth mentioning how I played through the DLC, via the Switch version. Now for the base game I'd say the Switch version is perfectly fine. Definitely the worst version and far from pretty to look at but still a perfectly fine way to play the game. The Final Horizon really doesn't feel made with the Switch in mind at all though. The framerate is far worse than the base game ever got in my experience and during the towers and final boss it felt like it could almost drop to single digits. It definitely isn't unplayable but I don't think I could recommend playing it on Switch, unlike the base game.

So overall I definitely really enjoyed myself with The Final Horizon. Like the base game it's far from perfect, and really exemplifies some of Frontiers bigger issues. But when it's good it's very good and for the most part that wins over the bad for me. It's a great sendoff to Sonic Frontiers and I'm very excited to see what comes next for the series.

4/5

rrEZubS.jpg
46. Sonic Generations (Steam Deck) - October 20th (3 Hours)
So I've put a lot of time into Sonic Generations, it's easily one of my most played games of all time. But somehow I've never actually gone back and played through the game from start to finish, only replaying levels and really only the Modern ones at that. So with me getting a Steam Deck recently I thought I'd finally fulfill a childhood dream I've had since I first played the HD version of the game a decade ago, playing it on a portable. Aside from having to go through the pain of installing HedgeModManager to use the Direct3D11 mod to improve performance (which literally just got fixed right as I was finishing up the game), it was a great experience. I had a great time re-experiencing the game and I definitely have a much better appreciation for Classic Sonic here. He definitely doesn't feel close to the Megadrive games but for the levels here he feels great and I love the overpowered spindash. I had to readjust my muscle memory a bit for Modern Sonic since using a 360 controller for this game is so ingrained for me but after that hurdle it was a blast from start to finish. Planet Wisp's back half and the Time Eater still suck though.

4.5/5

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
154. Clawfish (Steam Deck) - You disembark from a train that runs along the water (where are we? Water 7?) and explore a pierside arcade with several claw machines - of which each machine has fish as prizes... As someone who enjoys the claw game stuff in Yakuza, as well as quirky little indie games, this one stood out to me when it was mentioned elsewhere on Era. There's little to no context/story to the game (Id love to know more about the location), but the pier has an almost "dream like" quality to it - the visuals are bright and almost cartoony, you never see another person as you explore, so its a rather lonely, yet laid back experience as you free all the fish from the machines and buckets.
Gameplay is straight forward - you just move the claw and time it right to grab fish. The claw is super forgiving control/timing wise so its a fairly easy experience (compared to said Yakuza claw machines which can be living nightmares). Its a fairly short experience (even to 100% it). Just take in the atmosphere, use the boat to reach a couple of other areas that have a crane game, and free all the fish.
Great fun for the hour or so it'll take. Wonderful Summer vibes.

Next Up:

Spider-Man 2
Sonic Superstars
Super Mario Wonder
Runner
Rez Infinite (trophies)
Lost more VR stuff
MGS Rising
Splatterhouse (PS3)
Bayonetta 3

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

Neil98

May 2, 2018
Madrid, Spain
14. Final Fantasy XVI PS5
15. Metal Gear Solid Master Collection Vol 1 - Metal Gear PS5
16. Metal Gear Solid Master Collection Vol 1 - Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake PS5
17. Spiderman 2 PS5
18. A Way Out PS5
19. Naruto X Boruto Ultimate Ninja Storm Connections PS5
20. Pokemon Scarlet Switch
21. Pokemon Scarlet The Hidden Treasure of Area Zero Part 1 The Teal Mask DLC Switch

Last edited:

Memory Pak

Aug 29, 2018
DtRFUhy.png

21. Operation Logic Bomb (1993, Switch - SNES NSO) ★★★☆☆
Went spelunking in the NSO apps and fired this up, thinking it would be a puzzle game based on the title. Instead, it's a slightly drab, overhead sci-fi action game, reminiscent of twin-stick shooters. Maybe it's due to low expectations, but I came away positively surprised! Granted, the action is not very strategic - everything boils down to picking foes off from angles their shots can't reach. And yes, the more novel weapons (like a decoy clone of yourself) don't show up until past the halfway point.
But it's interesting how the game attempts to do wordless storytelling by showing scans of areas and CCTV footage. It's no Metroid Prime by any means, but they've arrived upon a similar solution here. The colourful finale also weirdly impresses after 2 hours of grimy Alien vs. Predator environments, and I like how enemies stay dead even when backtracking. I don't want to oversell this game - it's needlessly difficult, barely establishes a plot, and I got lost a few times. But if you're not opposed to using save-states, and enjoy the weekend-rental vibes of the NSO catalogue, you could do worse than this.

jFaLN1G.png

22. Joy Mech Fight (1993, Switch - NES NSO) ★★★★☆
Another one from the pits of the NSO mines which I assumed would be garbage at first blush. Instead this turns out to be Nintendo published and uh, feels like a contender for a top-tier Famicom game? It's a fighting game starring abstract robots with Rayman-esque detached limbs, and there's a shocking amount of playable characters with individual move sets. Even better, the actual fighting feels snappy, slowdown is minimal, and everyone feels incredibly easy to learn in a Smash Bros. kind of way. Admittedly, the surprise factor helps a lot, but this seems super impressive for its hardware.

IDuRwqn.png

23. BurgerTime Deluxe (1991, Switch - GB NSO) ★★★☆☆
Have heard this series get mentioned once or twice in retro gaming videos, but this was entirely unfamiliar to me. Turns out it's a nifty puzzle game. You're a tiny chef in a big kitchen, climbing ladders (like in Donkey Kong) to reach hamburger ingredients, and drop them onto stacks. Meanwhile, various angry ingredients follow you around like ghosts from Pac-Man, who you'll want to squash between falling hamburger layers. The chef's movement speed is very slow, and the music gets repetitive fast, but the tiny cut-scenes between levels inject just enough personality to keep you going.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
155. Cocoon (PC) - Due to all the good buzz around the game I jumped on this one as I was intrigued. And I definitely wasnt disappointed (well, except with the fluctuating Steam Deck frame rate, so I moved to PC to play it).
The game itself is a really neat puzzle game where you navigate environments while transporting these orbs you find. The catch is - the orbs are also "worlds". So in certain areas you can jump into the worlds and explore them. As the game gets more complex, you'll find yourself using several worlds for puzzles. Its all rather clever and I had a blast figuring everything out.
I do feel that the game perhaps lingers on easy mechanics/puzzles for maybe a bit too long though. I found myself sorta feeling at some point 2/3 through the game that I was just going through the motions - and while that still made for a good game I was a bit confused by all the huge praise it was getting, but as I kept playing the last few puzzles really opened my eyes on exactly how I wanted the game to play. While a couple of puzzles took me a few minutes to figure out, its a fairly straight forward game as far as puzzles go. Id definitely have loved an extra world or two, and then made the game game more complex. But as it stands, its still a really excellent game.

Next Up:

Spider-Man 2
Sonic Superstars
Super Mario Wonder
Runner
Rez Infinite (trophies)
Lost more VR stuff
MGS Rising
Splatterhouse (PS3)
Bayonetta 3

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
65: Marvel's Spider-Man 2. End: 10/23/2023.

The follow-up to Insomniac's original Spider-Man and Spider-Man: Miles Morales brings a lot to the table. It does have flaws (some particularly nasty bugs that have been, and will continue to be, patched) which do put a bit of a damper on what is an otherwise amazing game. But at its core is a title well worth people's time and attention. I ended up getting the platinum trophy for this game, something I almost never do.

66: Super Mario Bros. Wonder. End: 10/26/2023.

The original Super Mario Bros. was released in 1985. And in the many years since that game's release, Mario has continued to serve as one of the flagship characters in gaming. Even after all these years, Nintendo is able to produce one of the most creative and outright innovative 2D platformers on the market.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Main Post

[12/52 completed]

Spider-Man 2
- Platform: PS5 | Rating: 9.5/10 | Date finished: October 26th

Marvel%27s_Spider-Man_2_Key_Art.jpg

Can't really ask for a better sequel than this. I loved the first game + Miles Morales, and SM2 just does everything better. Story is great all the way through and I loved the way they reintroduce Harry Osborne into the story and make him the focal point that everything stems from. I think Harry and Peter's dynamic in this game is one of the best depictions of friendship I've ever seen in a game. It just felt so genuine and it really drew me into the story. The way Insomniac is able to effortlessly juggle both numerous storylines involving Peter, Miles, Harry, MJ, and a handful of other characters is extremely impressive. The pacing is brisk, and there's never a dull moment. The back half of the game has some truly awe inspiring sequences and boss fights that really show that Insomniac is at the top of their game. The level of polish on display here from visuals, performance, animations, etc is unmatched. There's nobody else in the industry making AAA games this good this fast and this (for the most part) bug-free. The gameplay is also improved from the last two games with a good amount of new abilities to utilize. I do think the lack of gadgets is a downside from SM1 though. The four gadgets in SM2 are very samey and I found myself missing the special suit gadgets/abilities that most suits had in the first game. Not a huge deal, but just one of my gripes. Overall, this game was a fantastic experience and I respect that Insomniac makes these games with just enough content to leave you wanting more without giving into trying to pack their open worlds to the brim with filler. They want you to play it, enjoy it, and move on and I appreciate that. This is probably the new king of superhero games. It'll be hard to top for many years to come, and honestly Insomniac is probably just fighting against themselves at this point. Nobody else is doing what they're capable of doing.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
156. Lonely Mountains Downhill (PS4) - Wanting a bit of a break from Spidey, I jumped back on this great little indie title. Rather than drive myself nuts with the expert challenges (which honestly I found more frustrating than fun) I just stuck to the beginner challenges then moved onto the next course - I prefer to do everything in a game, but playing the game in this way actually had me enjoy the game 1000% more so it was absolutely the right move. Id still enjoy all the courses, still look for shortcuts etc. but didnt feel like it was ruining my enjoyment of the game! Maybe if I could figure out how to land better using certain shortcuts Id have a better time, but that's assuming there is a better way to land...

Anyway, the aim of the game is simple - you start at the top of a mountain. You need to cycle down said mountain. That's it. There's checkpoints along the way, there's some obvious (and less obvious) shortcuts to take and there's a ton of gorgeous scenery to see! As I focused on beginner stuff, the challenges are: clear the track once, then clear the track again only crashing a set number of times/in a set time limit. Expert usually forces you to go for a faster time and less fails (the fails are "easy" but the physics can be wonky on some landings, the times are the tougher bit). There's also the "clear course in one go" which again, due to wonky physics is something I ditched.
Dont get me wrong, the game is a joy to play - with the checkpoints! There is a couple of areas on certain courses that feel very annoying to clear due to the way landings work, hence why I avoided the harder stuff - stuff like crossing really narrow logs/bridges, going down rather narrow paths or bigger jumps/drops. With checkpoints, no big deal I just laugh it off and get back to it, but with limited tries, it can get a tad annoying.
One other issue - the camera. It uses a fixed camera that pans around the courses, sometimes it makes certain spots hard to see, and since you fall off at the lightest tap sometimes, it can be rather annoying to have the camera so far back, or completely obscured for a moment... kinda goes against the nature of the game.

But enough with the bad points, play the game for fun rather than challenge and its terrific. Starting at the top of these mountains, you race down, either taking the paths or flying down shortcuts to hit the next checkpoint. As you go on the courses get more adventurous - with steeper drops you have to carefully "climb" down, jumps over large pits, and even weaving past huge boulders as you race down a stream/waterfall!
Aside my physics gripes, the courses are really well designed, as you play more you'll twig to what a shortcut looks like, and you'll manage to start shaving several seconds off your time - you'll go from carefully taking the main path down a mountain, to taking wreckless jumps, steep hills etc. and its great fun!

And the game has a bunch of DLC courses. 4 free, one paid for. The 4 free ones are like "super expert" courses. They take course design up to 11 and I love it for that. They feel longer and usually shoot for crazier jumps and descents. Even though I "finished" the game after doing all base courses, I feel I actually had even more fun with the DLC courses because they had some legit clever ideas with them that worked even better. And the last DLC? That one, instead of being 1 courses, is a whole new map (so 4 courses + many challenges). Its based around a volcano, the last course having you doing perilous leaps over lava pits... its really cool.

The game is also surprisingly pretty - it kinda goes for a low detail look with the characters and certain obstacles (think Art of Rally) but the weather, atmosphere and colour are all used excellently. You'll have courses where its mostly the greys and browns of a mountain high up, and as you reach more solid ground at the base of the mountain - you'll start seeing more greens, brighter/clearer sun with foliage (and butterflies flying around said foliage). For a smaller indie game, it nails the look and progression of the environments, its a treat when you reach the end points. Only thing I wasnt a fan of graphically was the DOF at points, as it looked too blurry/out of focus on a couple of the DLC courses.

So overall, not without its issues, if you approach the game more to just have fun, rather than to punish yourself going for the full trophy list, I think you'll have lots of fun with the game. Its a great concept that is a fun game to just zone out with a podcast.

Next Up:

Spider-Man 2
Sonic Superstars
Super Mario Wonder
Runner
Rez Infinite (trophies)
Lost more VR stuff
MGS Rising
Splatterhouse (PS3)
Bayonetta 3

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
<< Previous Post | Main Post | Next Post >>

N1qTc4f.png

37. Cocoon

This puzzle game's central mechanic has the potential to stand along the greats – Portal, Baba is You, The Witness – but it only scratches the surface of that potential.

You're in a surreal, insectoid-mechanical world with almost no explanation, rhyme, or reason to it. Meat zippers, twitching antennas and feelers, doors and passageways that look more like orifices opening or metallic wings separating… if you're into dizzying visuals, there's plenty here. The vividness of the world serves to enhance the puzzle mechanics: you possess little orbs that you can "leap" into and out of, and each orb contains a world with its own flavor of bizarre. Each world has a boss that, once defeated, imbues the orb with its own ability that can further be used for puzzle solving.

Each puzzle encounter is tight and well-paced. There is not a single line of dialogue and if you get stuck, everything you need to solve the puzzle is in one small area. This makes trial and error very painless. The buildup of the mechanics is pretty gradual, and it introduces new ideas at a decent pace. I think this game could be played by anyone at any level. However, by the end of the game, the puzzles really start to get crazy – but then the game is over, and you're sitting there going "BUT WHERES THE REST OF IT?" Not that it feels incomplete, no, far from it. But there is so much room to grow with this concept. I would not be surprised if they were saving more mind-bending concepts for Cocoon 2 (or maybe that's just wishful thinking).

4f32a930-5ef6-11ee-9ba5-111e102d33e8

IH1QejA.png

38. The Excavation of Hob's Barrow

In this narrative point and click, you play as Thomasina Bateman, an archaeologist summoned to the village of Bewlay to excavate an infamous barrow there called Hob's Barrow. But something's not quite right – the gentleman who summoned you there is nowhere to be found, your assistant and his tools never arrived in town, and none of the natives seem to know what Hob's Barrow is…

A short point and click with a strong narrative hook and pretty good voice acting, I was invested in Thomasina's story from the beginning. But I think the game's pacing and ending couldn't quite match up to the promising beginning. I enjoyed the slow buildup of the various mysteries, but it felt like they were rushed too quickly by the ending. And while the first half of the game wasn't very full of puzzles, the later half is filled with them. It'd be nice if they were spaced more evenly throughout the whole game.

Still, I recommend it if you like point and clicks, it has a great presentation and the investment in the characters is worth it.

hobs-barrow-ghastlytale-1024x576-1.jpg

Oh9LUUT.png

39. Lara Croft GO

So, I never played any of the original Tomb Raiders. But I heard about this spinoff through Game Maker's Toolkit, and I love mobile puzzle games, so I gave it a whirl. It is an excellently put together series of tile-based puzzle games, where you must get Laura through a series of rooms. Everything is turn based, so when Lara moves, enemies on the map move. Enemies have different walking patterns and chasing patterns, and then of course there are physical obstacles like traps to avoid (or activate on purpose to kill an enemy) or push-able columns that block your way. Sometimes you must get these enemies and obstacles out of your way, but more often you will end up using them to get yourself to the finish line.

It's not too challenging most of the time, but some of the later levels and DLC levels did make me laugh with delight when I figured out the solution, and that's always a good sign.

MV5BYjczMDE5NGItN2U3NC00OWRjLWI1NjItYWJiMjhmNDAwMGM0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzQ5NDYwOTg@._V1_.jpg

nVeHqO1.png

40. Abzu

Abzu holds a special place in my heart. Journey is one of my favorite games ever, and when I heard a group of devs branched off from thatgamecompany to form Giant Squid Games, I followed them religiously. Abzu is the first thing they put out, and while it is EXTREMELY derivative of Journey, I think it still stands on its own two feet, even upon replaying it years later.

Basically, you are just navigating serene waters (99% of the time) and moving forward through each visually impressive undersea scape for reasons initially unknown. The game's appeal is in marveling at all the different wildlife and swimming, leaping, and diving with them in joyous harmony. There is an environmental message that unfolds the more you play, and a warning against overharvesting resources. But it really takes a backseat to the ~VIBES~, for better or worse.

Abzu is a comfort game that I go back to when I want to feel calm and happy – same with Journey.

abzu_whaleshark.jpg

HqrugpF.png

41. Fuga: Melodies of Steel

When I started playing this on Game Pass, I was prepared to give it a try for an hour and then drop it. I am not really a tactics game person, but I wanted to see the story because I'm drawn to tales of plucky kids fighting in a cruel, uncaring world. (The plot, as I understood, was about 12 kids whose nation is under attack by a neighboring nation. They discovered an ancient but powerful tank, and with it they set on a journey to pretty much single handedly save their nation from destruction.)

But the opposite happened: the story was so barebones, and the kids were pretty one dimensional (but still precious), but I really enjoyed setting up each team, planning what to do in the intermissions before each fight, switching kids out on the fly when the situation best called for it. You could only have three kids manning a cannon, each with a support kid that granted some passive ability to the kid manning the cannon. You could build each of the kid's relationships with the others, so the support abilities would be stronger and lead to a powerful link attack.

So I was really enjoying the gameplay loop, but then it just…kept dragging on… the fights started to take ages to get through, and there were too many battles in a row. It became a test of endurance, the gameplay loop was too simple and so felt really repetitive. But I got there, I finished the game…and then the plot happened all at once at the 11th hour. I mean, it was good, but I wish there had been a stronger focus on the story throughout the game.

There's a sequel out now – I don't think I'm going to play it, at least not for a while. Too burned out on the first one.

t9NFv6JViMUHdd2ryI571Qjm.jpg

Last edited:

Sillen2000

Oct 1, 2019
Main Post

September update: 45/52

p21S8MZ.jpg

42. September 1st | Pokémon Trading Card Game | Nintendo Switch Online (GBC) | 7h 6m | ☆☆☆(/5)
Growing up in the late 90's/early 2000's I obviously had a lot of Pokémon cards, but I don't think either me or any of my friends ever actually used them to play the TCG (guess we were too busy with GoGo's or some other trend lost to time), so they were more just fun artwork to collect than anything else. I did definitely try out this GBC version of it through emulation back in the day, but I don't think I ever really understood how it worked, or didn't have the patience to learn anything a bit more complicated than the core Pokémon gameplay. So, despite having the cards and at least spending about a second with this game, I've never really dabbled in the trading card game, and didn't know the rules at all.

Until now, that is, and it's actually a lot of fun! The rules are easy to learn, the matches are pretty fast paced, and it is a surprisingly faithful conversion of Pokémon battles, but with a bit more strategic twist since moves require energy cards, a lot of the stronger ones rely on coin flips, and battles are over after three of one's Pokémon have been downed, no matter how many there actually are in the team. Really wish my friend group back then had learned to play it, because I'm sure we'd all have loved it (and started hating each other since pretty much everyone was a terribly sore loser.)

And I learned it all thanks to this little Game Boy Color game, which I think is a very good introduction to the TCG, but the complete package feels a bit... unpolished, maybe? Before getting to that, though, I have to commend Hudson Soft for at least trying to give this game that traditional Pokémon feel by still having a (very small, but still) overworld with gyms and (pretty pointless, but still) NPCs to talk to, and a story about trying to become the very best like no one ever was, but with actual Pokémon replaced by cards and, years before Game Freak had the same idea, letting the player tackle the gyms in basically whichever order they want. They could've just made a card game simulator, but these seemingly superfluous little things do give the game a bit more character and charm, as does the soundtrack that's so many times better than it should have any right to be.

As for the actual card battling itself, well... it's fun and, as previously stated, a great way to learn the basics of the Pokémon TCG, but it feels very unpolished. I want to stress that I have nothing against RNG in games, I actually like it in a lot of cases since it can go both in you or your opponent's favor, and can both ruin everything for an expert, or help a novice. In this game, though, I feel like RNG is so blatantly in the opponent's favor that it can barely even be seen as random anymore. Not that every coin flip fails for me, my luck seems to be pretty average, but it almost never fails for the CPU, which can be pretty annoying whenever they have Pokémon with the ability to afflict sleep (one coin flip at the beginning of each turn to determine if you wake up) or confuse (one coin flip at the beginning each turn to see if you'll attack yourself or not.)

I don't think the developers made the game like this because they're cruel, but because the AI just isn't good enough to actually pose a challenge on its own, because you really notice pretty quickly that it can barely react to whatever you're doing, and just seems to hope for the best and just trying to get a million thunder energy cards to make Zapdos work, even though I'm very obviously going to down it before it's even close to being able to attack once. Winning a match is still really satisfying since you basically have to defeat the luckiest trainers alive, but some of that satisfaction is also dampened by the feeling that you just defeated someone with the mental capacity of a very small child. It also created a very weird difficulty curve where at the beginning of the game I was very frustrated by the opponents' luck, but by the end of the game my deck was so good that even through bad card pulling RNG and the opponent's good fortune, I never really had any issues with any trainer, not even the card grand masters or the final Ronald (the game's rival) match, which was sort of disappointing and made me really see how limited my opponents are when I've sort of learned how to game the system through cards that are just blatantly better than the rest (Blastoise, Scyther, Pinsir, etc.).

I still enjoyed my time with Pokémon Trading Card Game, but I also feel like it could be a lot better than it is, and with a much more organic difficulty where it's clever AI rather than odds stacked against you that poses the challenge, which would make for a much more fun (possibly also more frustrating, I guess) experience. It's not a bad game at all, and I'm glad it taught me the rules of the TCG, but I doubt I'll ever return to it because of this. Maybe the sequel fixes my issues with it to some extent, though?

Soundtrack highlight:
Ronald's Theme

pnv0SF2.jpg

43. September 1st | Pocky & Rocky Reshrined | Nintendo Switch | 1h 30m | ☆☆☆½
Emulating SNES games en masse as a kid I did stumble upon the Pocky & Rocky games (or rather KiKi KaiKai. Took years before I found out the games weren't actually Japan exclusive) and quickly grew to appreciate the games, even though they were definitely too hard for me to be able to beat either of them (at least without heavy use of savestates.) Didn't think there'd ever be a new game in the series, especially not after Pocky & Rocky with Becky, but somehow Reshrined is a game that is very much real, and also really good.

Just like developer Tengo Project's previous games Wild Guns Reloaded and The Ninja Saviors: Return of the Warriors, Pocky & Rocky Reshrined is certainly very familiar and even reuses some stages from the first game, but fairly quickly morphs into something that is part remake, part sequel, with absolutely beautiful pixel art graphics and a soundtrack with a mix of fantastic rearrangements of old tracks, and some very good new ones as well. The difficulty has also certainly been toned down a bit, in part thanks to less trial and error thanks to kinder enemy placement than in the old games, but also thanks to a bigger move pool and even an energy shield that unlocks a few stages in, and abilities being much easier to power-up (and keep those power-ups since they can now be picked up again after taking a hit.) Still not at all an easy game since it does keep the spirit of the original so the enemies are still fairly relentless and come from most directions at the same time at high speeds, but it still feels a lot more fair and made for modern sensibilities than the previous games did. Pretty sure it even has unlimited continues (I only used two on my playthrough, but there didn't seem to be a limit) so anyone with a bit of patience could realistically beat it.

Pocky & Rocky is at its heart a very simple and arcade-y series of run 'n gun games so I don't really have all that much to say here, but I did really appreciate how much care was put into the story mode to give some variety to the gameplay, through the stages making you play as different characters with different attacks, and also make it feel like you're growing stronger throughout the journey, through giving you more health after each stage and having Pocky unlock new skills after some stages. The plot is sort of nonsense, but it's at least the fun kind that's not afraid to go to pretty bizarre places, and the cutscenes know not to overstay their welcome.

Soundtrack highlight:
An Ancient Land

olASNAs.jpg

44. September 12th | Gargoyle's Quest | 3DS Virtual Console (GB) | 2h | ☆☆
Don't really have much history with this franchise. Not a fan of Ghosts 'n Goblins, played about a minute of Gargoyle's Quest 2 and Demon's Crest years ago. Not really sure why I even decided to play Gargoyle's Quest, but I did so I should probably say something about my time with it.

First of all: really good atmosphere. You really feel like you're in a hellish world on the brink of dying from too much war, and Firebrand (who is green on the cover despite everyone in the game mentioning how red he is) has to trek through its very inhospitable biomes to save the demon realm from an evil more evil demon than the ones currently living there. It's a melancholy you don't really expect from a Ghosts & Goblins spin-off starring its most annoying enemy in the main role, and one that is a perfect fit on the monochrome game boy with all of its technical limitations that sort of necessitates sparse environments. The melancholic world map theme one spends most of the game listening to also helps create the picture of a world at the end of its lifespan if nothing's done soon.

As for playing the game, it's fine. Gargoyle's Quest doesn't really do anything poorly, but it does feel a bit... undercooked, maybe? Like, there's nothing really to do on the world map other than walk straight to the next point of interest, the town's you visit all look almost exactly the same, the NPCs mostly say the exact same thing, and the game as a whole feels like it ends just as it's truly began since the platforming finally starts feeling a bit more complex and Firebrand can use his powers to their fullest which allows for more creative challenges for the player, which this game sorely lacked for most of my playtime since Gargoyle's Quest tends to just not have very interesting level design, relying more on awkward enemy placements than fun platforming. Not that I was suffering, hating my time with these levels or anything, but they sometimes suddenly glimmered, utilizing Firebrands gliding to its fullest and switching between abilities to create paths forward in a clever way, and those moments really made me feel how much potential the game had, and how little Capcom did with that potential. The bosses are also kind of an issue, with all of them being really easy since they follow super simple patterns that you'll learn in about five seconds, but they at least all look really cool.

Terrible translation, by the way, but just like with most terrible 90's localizations, it just adds a layer of charm to the experience as a whole.

Soundtrack highlight:
Hell Field

aPIChkh.jpg

45. September 15th | Final Fantasy IV (Pixel Remaster) | Playstation 4 | 19h | Replay | ☆☆
If I remember correctly, the first JRPG I ever saw was Final Fantasy X, but the first one I played was IV (despite being very late to the game I even got to have the experience of thinking it was FFII), so I guess this is the game that's responsible for leading me down the dark path of loving this twisted genre. Maybe that means I also sort of have to like it today, but replaying it now for the first time in years, I really think it's just a really solid game that I'd have liked even if this was my first playthrough.

FFIV feels a bit like a second Final Fantasy I to me. Not because the games are super similar (if anything, it's like a much improved version of the actual II), but because IV sort of feels like a reset for the franchise, and a new first game in the series since every following installment would sort of follow in its mold, with a large focus on narrative and presentation, and streamlining the actual RPG part by having characters with predetermined roles that you could only slightly adjust rather than molding them in whichever way one chooses.

Being the first game trying out this form of Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy IV is naturally extremely simplistic in almost every way, but that's not really a bad thing since FFIV turns out to be, yes, very basic, but also really polished and efficient in almost every thing it tries to do. The battle system is about as basic as it gets, but it gets the job done and unlike, say, Sea of Stars, no fight overstays its welcome and if you do need to grind (not really required in this Pixel Remaster, but still), random encounters go by so fast that it's barely ever an issue. Boss fights still require some thought, but the game doesn't really require enough of you that you can't ever realize your errors in a fight without being able to course correct before catastrophe strikes. FFIV is probably the perfect first JRPG for anyone interested in the genre thanks to this, with battles both being so snappy, and the difficulty being fairly low and relaxing. Even the dungeons are surprisingly chill, most of them being pretty short and a lot more straightforward than in the NES games, though still with several secrets for those who want to explore. The final boss is kind of a huge difficulty spike, (as well as the final dungeon, though I'm pretty sure the Pixel Remaster's greatly lowered the insane encounter rate from the original release) but certainly nothing impossible even for a novice of the genre.

Storywise FFIV is simple by today's standards, but it's certainly not unambitious. Sure, it's annoying how weakminded Kain is, and how so many characters choose to do a noble sacrifice only to appear miraculously alive later in the game, but it does weave a really intriguing three act story about love - first for Cecil's kingdom, then for the one he loves (pretty insane that this super simple 1991 game does its love story between the two protagonists so much better than 2023's FFXVI, by the way), and then for the entire world that he's explored and learned more about in previous two acts. It does move at an insanely fast pace (case in point: I managed to Platinum the game in 19 hours without using any cheats, and that was a lot of time spent grinding for the secret summons and the Pink Tail) where about a million things happen and you visit an insane amount of places and dungeons in a very short time span, but it works really well and despite the characters being pretty paper thin, their motivations to protect something always shines through and is a great motivator to continue the quest and leads up to a great finale.

The Pixel Remaster is a great way to play FFIV by the way, but it's probably the first time I've felt like I actually prefer the original. Not for gameplay reasons, but because I've always really liked the spritework of FFIV, being in this weird place between very advanced NES and very primitive SNES that doesn't really look like any other Final Fantasy, and where every character's overworld sprite wears miscolored clothes and is extremely tanned for some reason. I also just plain prefer most of the SNES soundtrack since the compositions very clearly were not meant for anything other than that sound chip, though the final boss theme is fantastic in this new version.

Soundtrack highlight:
Theme of Love

Currently Playing:
Alan Wake Remastered (PS5)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (NSW)

Last edited:

Whimsicalish

Dec 30, 2019
Midwest
qytfPkz.jpg
38 | Assemble with Care
Steam Deck | Aug 31 | 2.5 h | 4/5

(Completely forgot to add this one. Whoops!)

Quick and simple puzzle game where you repair gadgets. Incredibly easy to get started and it's a chill experience to the end. I love the bright pastel colors and art direction. The story plays like you are reading a book. I do wish there were more illustrations of the characters during dialogue. They have a lot of the same expressions. Maybe that's just me trying to see more of this style.

But I greatly appreciate the attention to design and typography. I love seeing more indie games having amazing design elements in their games.

pPFesBL.jpg
39 | The Medium
PS5 | Oct 08 | 10 h | 1/5

I did not realize this was a Bloober Team until the moment I started the game. I will now be extremely careful anytime I see their logo on a future project so I can stay the hell away. Far, far away.

The only positives are the pretty graphics and the unique perspective when you're viewing both worlds. The negatives here far outweigh the good. You can't cover up the absolute shit message with pretty graphics. Every time I think about The Medium, I remember the victims are portrayed as monsters.

I have no idea what's going on with their writing team, but they cannot handle traumatic themes at all. They have failed again, and again. This being the most egregious of all. It's not even "it's so bad, it's good." It's shameful. The entire message can boiled down to: Victims can never heal or overcome their pain. They can only pass it on with more pain by becoming a monster.

Also why the hell would you show me the depraved acts of a character and THEN expect me to feel sympathy afterwards? It doesn't work that way.

There's no reason to play The Medium. This has killed any future project of theirs I may want to try. I want nothing to do with them moving forward.

6FHUOLZ.jpg
40 | The Quarry
PS4 | Oct 15 | 27 h | 4/5

I had much more fun with this slasher-inspired horror game than the previous entry. I really enjoyed the monster design. I'm glad they went in that direction. Most of the characters are enjoyable (or barely tolerable in Jacob's case) and the banter isn't too annoying. My main negative, with the survivor cast, is the group is too large. This creates an uneven time spent between the characters. There's a couple of the kids, after the initial 3 chapters, that are gone from the rest of the night.

It didn't stop my enjoyment, but damn, these kids can really hold their shit together over major injuries. I had to laugh a couple of times when someone brushes off a serious injury to keep the night moving forward. I know some of that can be attributed to adrenaline but not everything. I did have fun with the violent death scenes when you screwed up.

My biggest negative is this studio's game mechanics. You are encouraged to play their game multiple times; that's fine, but you only have one auto-save file and you cannot skip cutscenes. It's a huge drag to watch the same cutscene 5+ times and it changes nothing. You also can't skip chapters. You have to play the run to the end. There's no real reason for that, other to waste your time. It's giving me great pause to play their other titles because it's so time consuming.

AZtrO0k.jpg
41 | Sagebrush
PS4 | Oct 21 | 2 h | 3/5

Essentially, a walking sim inside a cult compound. You arrive in the late evening, because why would you want to see anything? You don't need the sun, here's a tiny missable flashlight you can use to barely see. What do you mean blundering around in the dark isn't fun??

Everything is told through written notes and tape recordings. If you're hiding a secret in a cult, what better way to hide your guilt in a note someone could find laying around??

You begin to ignore the same creaking noise because it has proven to never be anything. It's the same noise, over and over. You lose all sense of dread.

It's a short, cheap walk with nothing original. You hold out hope only to be disappointed in the end that it is indeed, a walking sim spoken through notes. Bummer.

XHz9Sbv.jpg
42 | Child of Light
PS4 | Oct 22 | 5 h | 4/5

I've heard of this one years ago and it has been on my list for a long time. Finally hit start and I'm not disappointed. I liked the combination of 2D platformer with RPG battle system. There's a ton of recruitable characters with their own skill trees to level. Some are more useful than others and a couple are extremely similar.

The art style and fairy tale theme is fun. I don't think I was avoiding fights but the final handful of bosses were suddenly difficult. I would be okay in small battles, but destroyed those fights. It took a few tries but thankfully I did not have to level up at the end.

The time length felt good at 5 hours. Any longer and the battles would be too repetitive. I'm glad most of the "platforming" was flying too. More my speed to fly to places than make timed jumps, haha.

gCNZjAW.jpg
43 | WATCH_DOGS 2
PS4 | Oct 27 | 31 h | 4/5

What an improvement over the first game. They can make a likable main character and add fun banter with your side characters. Most of the missions are fun to play. You have new gadgets, and skills, to help you explore and hack. Although, half of "exploring" is you looking up to get on rooftops. It's the same solution: find a crane or moveable lifts.

It's a huge improvement....after I shut off many in-game options. I was close, very close, to quit after the initial first hour because the game was incredibly overwhelming. After your tutorial mission, the game dumps you in the open world. The radio constantly plays while characters are speaking. (I couldn't hear myself think!) The news video randomly plays, showing you what you literally finished. Other players can jump into your game session without your input. I'm not joking when I say I was in audio hell. I was overwhelmed to the point I was visibly frustrated. I played the entire game without the radio because it does not tune out like it did in WD1. I initiated when I wanted to join a pvp mission. Much better when I get to choose what plays. If I didn't have those options, I'm not even certain I would play this one.

There's some minor adjustments I miss from WD1, such as, hacking was one button vs four buttons. It was easier to lose sight of a target here than the first entry. But overall, a better game. I don't even miss Aiden Pierce. He can stay gone as far as I'm concerned.

Main Post

Last edited:

Big_Salad

"This guy are sick"
Jul 10, 2020
Long overdue update, though I think I'm gonna fall more than a few short.

09. Resident Evil 4 Remake - 20 Hours - XSX
10. Forza Horizon 5 - 75 Hours - XSX
11. MLB The Show 23 - 45 Hours - XSX
12. Kirby and the Forgotten Land - 14 Hours - Switch
13. Horizon Forbidden West: The Burning Shores - 7 Hours - PS5
14. Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga - 20 Hours - XSX
15. Star Wars Jedi Survivor - 40 Hours - XSX
16. The Last of Us Part II - 20 Hours - PS5
17. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - 90 Hours - Switch
18. Titanfall 2 - 6 Hours - XSX
19. GTA III Definitive Edition - 9 Hours - XSX
20. Frog Detective - 1 Hour - Steam Deck
21. Frog Detective 2 - 1 Hour - Steam Deck
22. Frog Detective 3 - 2 Hours - Steam Deck
23. Mr. Sun's Hatbox - 12 Hours - Steam Deck
24. McPixel 3 - 6 Hours - XSX
25. Venba - 2 Hours - XSX
26. A Short Hike - 2 Hours - XSX
27. Baldurs Gate III - 110 Hours - PC
28. NASCAR Heat 5 - 45 Hours - XSX
29. Phantom Liberty - 12 Hours - XSX
30. Cocoon - 5 Hours - XSX
31. Assassin's Creed: Mirage - 30 Hours - XSX
32. Marvel's Spider-Man 2 - 27 Hours - PS5
33. Super Mario Bros. Wonder - 20 Hours - Switch
34. Forza Motorsport - 30 Hours - XSX

Previous Post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

I've wanted to join this thread even before I was a member and after two years of being one I finally will. I've been keeping track of my completions though an excel sheet since like 2015 which makes it super silly that I didn't just start this when I became a member. Anyway, 2023 completions...

Last edited:

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
Main Post

So with it being Halloween tonight I decided to beat the scariest of games....... A MEGAMAN GAME!!!!!!! Cower at the Robot Masters!!! Shriek at the disappearing blocks!!!!! MWAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

*ahem* Moving on.

HX8H4TJ.jpg
47. Megaman 11 (Steam Deck) - October 31st (4 Hours)
And so my Megaman journey comes to end with Megaman 11. I don't know why it took me this long to finally play MM11, I played the hell out of the demo around release but just never picked it up for some reason. Well I'm glad to have gotten around to it after all this this time because it was well worth the wait. Megaman 11 is a great evolution of the series, ditching the NES aesthetic of 9&10 for a 2.5D artstyle which looks fantastic. I wouldn't say I prefer it to the pixelart of 8 or Megaman & Bass but if the series was to continue with this style I definitely wouldn't be complaining. 11 also introduces the Double Gear System, essentially giving you the ability to slow down time or power up your attacks, even the special weapons ala Megaman X. I personally didn't get a whole bunch of use out of the Power Gear aside from the powered up Chain Blast and Tundra Storm but the Speed Gear was always useful. Probably a little too useful honestly as even though a lot of platforming and bosses are designed around you having it, the Speed Gear still feels like it can trivialise a lot of challenge especially when you get the upgrade to move at full speed during it.

Speaking of the stages though I generally liked them a lot. They certainly felt a bit longer than the usual (especially Acidman) so I wouldn't have minded segmenting them in two like Megaman 8 but it wasn't too much of an issue once I had a proper stock of lives and E-Tanks collected. The only outlier here I'd say is Acidman. I do like what they were going for here with the acid being similar to the oil from Flameman's stage in MM6 but the stage just felt soooooo looooong and by the end it took me 30 minutes to get through. 30 minutes for a Megaman stage!!! The robot masters at the end of each stage are a pretty good roster though, all of them being a lot of fun to fight and learn the patterns of (even Acidman), but as I said earlier the speed gear does somewhat trivialise them and the Wily bosses. The special weapons lineup here is fine, I mostly found myself sticking to the default Mega Buster outside of boss fights though I could definitely see some cool speedrun tricks coming out of the Pile Driver.

The shop returns here and this is probably the most generous it has ever been. Bolts are handed to you constantly here so you'll never need to worry about running out of lives or E-Tanks (not that I'm complaining). The upgrades are generally prety useful though I wouldn't say I'm a fan of locking some behind arbitrary requirements like taking a certain amount of damage or playing on a Saturday. It's not that bad though and I'd prefer it like this than Megaman 8.

So overall I had a pretty great time with Megaman 11. It doesn't quite match up to my favourites in the series (3,5,6,Bass) but I'd say I like it just as much as I did 9&10 back in August. I'd definitely recommend giving it a shot. It's kinda weird to think I've finally played through all of the Classic Megaman games now. From the NES to the Gameboy and even the Wonderswan it was quite the journey and it's surreal to think that it's over. There were certainly a few ups and downs here but even if I didn't come out of this liking every game I played, I'd still say that there isn't a single bad game here. Probably the biggest surprises for me here were the Wonderswan game and Megaman 3 in Wily Wars, the latter of which has probably become my favourite way to play the best game in the series. With all that said and all the games finished there's only one thing for me to do...... replay them!

3.5/5

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
October update is marginally better than September's:

16. Starfield (PC, 2023) - 68:11 - October 4

I did at least accomplish my goal of finishing either Starfield or Zelda before the onslaught of Forza and Cities Skylines hit. Zelda, alas, is still in the queue; it turns out I WASN'T almost finished, as there's still a whole bunch of spelunking in the depths to do. Honestly, Tears of the Kingdom wore out its welcome long ago and I cannot wait to see the back end of this game. Maybe November will finally be the month.

Forza has been a bit of a disappointment so far; career mode has been somewhat repetitive, and if even I have grown tired of the cycle of practice/race/repeat, then it truly is as bad as everyone says. Another big issue is the inconsistent and generally rough PC performance, which at this rate may not see any improvements at all until close to December. By that point I might be done with the Builders' Cup, and I'll probably drop the game too. Despite having a solid driving model, there just doesn't feel like there's much else to keep me; it's disappointing to see Forza Motorsport go down the same route as Gran Turismo 7 when there was ample room for something different.

Cities: Skylines II, on the other hand, has also come in too hot, but I find myself quite a bit more sympathetic to it. The performance issues are real, but they've been a lot easier to ignore because for the most part, they don't get in the way of the actual gameplay. There are some odd issues with how things like the economy are modeled, and a bunch of UX issues that could've used another pass or two. But otherwise, it's the Cities: Skylines I remember, and that's mostly a good thing. The only part that's maybe not so good is that I've cracked the code of building a decent-sized city without running a deficit, and in fact am earning a solid $1.5 million a month somehow. With seemingly little else to do now besides continue to grow the city and upgrade zoning where it's fun, I find myself in a weird goldilocks situation where I don't really want to deal with some of the bigger issues that come with growth, like traffic (though I built a whole metro and it didn't even dent my budget, so who knows), and there isn't much reason to grow past where I am now except for the sake of covering the landscape with more sprawl. So I might actually be done with this sooner than expected.

November is, hopefully, the end of Zelda. It will also be the month Like a Dragon Gaiden releases, which I'm looking forward to; I'll grant myself permission not to worry about the barely-started playthrough of Ishin I have going, and will dive into Gaiden head-first. Beyond that, there are a few things I'm considering, but have made no concrete plans about yet. EA Sports WRC is an interesting one, given that it's Codemasters' first kick at the WRC can, but if my experience with last year's WRC Generations is anything to go by, I might still be a little tuckered out from all the rallying I did in WRC 9. Alan Wake 2 is getting good reviews and it apparently has a PC version that is actually good for once, but... well, Epic funds it, and I'm really down on Epic these days because of Bandcamp. I haven't yet decided how much I feel like punishing Epic, and whether it's fair for Remedy to suffer as a result. No ethical consumption under capitalism etc etc so who knows.

As you can probably tell from the number in front of Starfield, I'm nowhere close to the theoretical goal of 52, and not even to the casual goal of 26. But from the very start of the year I gave myself the freedom to pursue a bunch of longer games I might've been holding back on because of challenges like these, and while I didn't get through as many of those as I'd like (sorry Persona 5 Royal), I did at least manage to rescue a second playthrough of Fire Emblem: Three Houses.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Finished up October. Main post is here.

October (46/52)
43. Cocoon - Xbox Series X - 4 hours, 46 minutes
44. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective - Switch - 10 hours
45. Final Fantasy 7 Ever Crisis: Halloween 2023 Event - iOS - 45 minutes
46. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Xbox Series X - 11 hours, 22 minutes

Almost to the end and I should probably make it barring some unforeseen event.

November (50/52)
47. Super Mario Wonder - Switch - 10 hours
48. Robocop Rogue City - PS5 - 10 hours
49. Thirsty Suitors - Xbox Series X - 6 hours, 36 minutes
50. Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name - PS5 - 13 hours, 42 minutes

Last edited:

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
MAIN THREAD

master50.png

master52.png

Quick Update, hit 52 games again. 6/6 since starting this challenge in 2018!
  • Pikmin 2 - While obvious upgrades to mechanics, I enjoyed Pikmin 1 more
  • The Last Worker - Interesting game, but the actual gameplay isn't done well.
  • Cocoon - I love Inside and wasn't a huge fan of Limbo. This sits in between both of those games. Very interesting and well done, but never gives you a reason to carry on like previous two titles did.
  • Lies of P - Absolutely loved it and one of the best , "Souls-Like" games out there. has some unique ideas as well.
  • Curse Crackers - While I didn't love as much as Prodigal, its still a really fun GBC type platformer game
  • Void Strangers - Great puzzle game with no hand holding. There is a little to much, "replaying" the same puzzle over and over again to find more.
  • Spider-Man 2: The movement in this game is sublime. Fun story, great voice acting. Loved it.

Remember we have a discord channel if you want to discuss what you are playing and beat even further with monthly and quarterly optional game clubs!

RedShift

Oct 27, 2017
Week 44: 50 games played

mural.png

Only two games finished this month, but they're both really good, both in my top 4 so far this year.

49. Elden Ring (70% PC, 30% Steam Deck)

Feels weird that before this year I'd never played a Souls game and now I'm on my third. And I think this one has pipped DS1 to become by favourite so far. In some ways I miss the tight design of Lordran with each section piled on top of each other and neatly twisted together, but having an open world to explore between the dungeons works really nicely too. The world is so much more colourful and full of beautiful little moments that make The Lands Between feel so memorable. Being able to just go do something else whenever you're up against a brick wall made any frustrating moments a lot easier to stomach as well. Definitely lived up to the hype for me.

50. Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)

Wowie zowie. I've never enjoyed 2d Mario quite as much as 3d, but this game can stand alongside Odyssey IMO. The love and effort that's put into the character animations and stage variety puts this in another tier to the NSMB games. I hope the next game does away with lives, adds better bosses, and integrates the 'wonder' effects more smoothly into the levels. Definitely one of the nicest surprises of the year, and a great game to 100% (I haven't finished the final-final level yet, might save that for a little bit)

I've also finished act 1 of BG3, having scoured the act pretty thoroughly. Not sure I'll finish that before the end of November but maybe.

I did also do a Super Metroid randomised run as part of a one day thing with some people from my work but I'm not planning to count that, unless it looks like I won't hit 52 maybe. It made me think about actually learning to do an easyish speedrun route maybe with save states going for a low elapsed time now I know how to IBJ and mockball.

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
I need to start accelerating again shortly, just two games beaten in October...

header.jpg

44. Sea of Stars (PS5 (PS Plus)) | 14 October 2023 | 9/10
Platinum trophy earned. Sea of Stars is a gorgeous, stylish and satisfying tribute to RPG classics in the vein of Chrono Trigger, succeeding handsomely against that lofty aim. Its incredible pixelart immediately draws the eye, but beyond the surface level there's a well-developed world to explore, with an enjoyable story told through expressive characters who you can't help but come to love. Gameplay is relatively simple, based around turn-based battles with a typical resistance/vulnerability mechanic, but particularly enhanced by a novel approach to breaking enemy attacks through appropriate combinations of elemental effects. There's a certain satisfaction to be gleaned from devising attack patterns to meet seemingly intractable requirements, even if this never gets overly complex and, for example, there's a lack of any real buffs system that could greatly expand the tactical possibilities. I didn't really catch any of the references to Sabotage Studio's previous game, The Messenger, though I know that they're in there, and this is a second hit from them in my eyes.

header.jpg

45. COCOON (Xbox Series X (Game Pass)) | 21 October 2023 | 8/10
Completed with 100% of achievements unlocked (1,000G). Cocoon is a very impressive debut for Geometric Interactive, clearly inspired by Limbo and Inside (on which the studio's founders also worked), but now in a wholly puzzle-focused 3D setting. Taking place with a complete absence of explicit tutorial, the game nonetheless feels immediately intuitive, even with its novel core mechanic of multiple distinct worlds that the protagonist creature can dive into and out of, and carry about as spheres within other worlds to navigate through a detailed, eerie alien landscape. It's perhaps a little too straightforward at times, with many puzzles being overcome from trying to first approach that presents itself, but there are still a good number of somewhat mind-bending scenarios, especially in the latter parts of the game where juggling multiple worlds becomes commonplace. Art design is fantastic throughout, perhaps as expected given the studio founders' experience from Limbo and Inside, with a pervading otherworldliness and scenery that tells a story all by itself - and the game's ultimate ending wraps up the experience in (no spoilers) as satisfying a thematic manner as could be hoped.