• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Memory Pak

Aug 29, 2018
Been cutting it ever closer the past two years, so not sure if I can make 52 again. But let's optimistically shoot for a 5th medal.

XHUcRSM.png

01. Huntdown (2020, Switch) ★★★☆☆
Side-scrolling action game with a Sega Genesis-on-steroids grimy 80s urban setting, pulpy voice acting, and a delicious Kung Fury-esque soundtrack. I wish this skewed closer to run & gun territory, because ducking into cover and popping up to shoot gets a little tedious, whereas the game really shines in the last few boss fights which significantly up the projectile count. Luckily levels are nicely bite-sized and all have unique bosses, which keeps it from going stale. I do have a minor gripe with the way you lose control of movement if hit in the air, which can lead to punishing multi-hits or outright deaths if falling off the stage. Feels weirdly archaic for an otherwise modern take on this type of action game.

xe92StB.png

02. Hell Blasters (2022, Switch) ★★☆☆☆
Vertically scrolling bullet hell with a surprisingly large feature-set given its tiny dev team. Unfortunately its solid core, centered around bullet cancelling, struggles to hold the rest of the project in orbit. Considerable effort went into a story mode, for instance, and while I hate to be dismissive - almost none of that effort was worth it.
The story mode chops the 5 arcade levels up into 30+ microscopic chunks, interspersed with cut-scenes. The writing in these is tonally all over the place. One sentence our protagonists come to grips with killing an enemy, only to start vacation-planning literally the next line. None of this is aided by a wonky translation, and the length of the cut-scenes length kills the otherwise decent pace of the arcade mode. Lastly, they also highlight the game's art style, which one might charitably describe as Spartan at best.
Visuals really are where this extra effort should've gone instead: the game has half a theme going on with mechanical animals serving as bosses, but all the regular enemies are generic tanks and planes. It doesn't even carry the animal theme through either, with some bosses being rocketships and mechs. Granted, the team is truly tiny, but a sequel would be much improved if a more cohesive style could be established.

h8cUTwo.png

03. R-Type Final 2 - Stage Pass Volume 2 (2021 & 2022, Switch) ★★★☆☆
Despite its annoyances and glacial pacing, I can never resist the siren song of more R-Type Final 2. The 2nd Stage Pass compiles 3 DLC sets into a single package, remaking 4 previous R-Type stages, alongside 3 more experimental adaptations. Two of those are maps from R-Type Tactics/R-Type Command remade into shooter levels, no doubt to drum up interest for the upcoming remakes of those games. More notable however is the inclusion of an ImageFight stage, now retooled into horizontal orientation, which signals intent to branch out into other IREM franchises. The whole package is a little too corridor heavy, and the underwater levels never look good on Switch, but the later stages are real winners.

NtaqJaD.png

04. R-Type Final 2 - Stage Pass Volume 3 (2022, Switch) ★★★☆☆
Like the Bydo themselves, R-Type Final 2 continues to absorb other IREM franchises into its folds. ImageFight is drawn in further with a second level, and there are even more outlandish takes in this Stage Pass. Most notable are the opening stages paying back-to-back homage to the pre-Metal Slug submarine shooter In The Hunt, as well as the colourful Mr. Heli/Battle Chopper.
At this point, R-Type Final 2 contains 4½ games worth of stages, around 100 playable ships, and lots of weird stuff like a little base-building mode it likes to pretend is a "metaverse". It's never going to address my core complaints with the game's foundation (load times, punishing checkpoints, branching paths feeling perfunctory, lots of little QOL issues), choosing instead to build ever more content upon said foundation, no doubt with the soon-releasing R-Type Final 3 Evolved in mind. It's never becoming the best shmup in town, but it sure will be the one I play the longest.

SW4FYIU.png

05. In The Hunt (1993, Switch) ★★★☆☆
Got curious about this submarine-themed shooter after its inclusion in R-Type Final 2. It predates Metal Slug, but many of the hallmarks were already in place: intricate pixel art of densely packed machines, and lots of incoming shots. It's probably inspired by Hunt For Red October, and primarily impresses in the presentation department. The actual gameplay doesn't evolve much beyond just mashing fire. You'll find some power-ups, but good luck holding onto them. This must've been a merciless quarter-muncher back in the day. Luckily the Arcade Archives release adds auto-fire to save your thumbs.

5IHqeoQ.png

06. Sol Cresta: Dramatic Edition (2022, Switch) ★★★★☆
One I initially skipped due to its art style looking downright hideous in videos. Bit of a mistake, it turns out, because Sol Cresta is a good-to-great vertical shoot-'em-up. Mind, it's still hardly a looker - sporting crummy Sega Saturn visuals at the best of times, and obscuring foes and incoming fire with fuzzy backgrounds at the worst of times.
What is compelling however, is how Sol Cresta layers several systems which, once grokked, overlap quite satisfyingly. It's a little daunting at first: you control three ships docked together, and can activate slow-mo to rearrange them mid-flight. Additionally, if you arrange them in certain Formations, you get special attacks (which seems not unlike the Unite Morph system of Platinum's earlier title The Wonderful 101). Separate from Formations, there's a medal-based meter which grants you attacks which require fighting game style button inputs to execute. I was not a fan of this in Cotton 2, but here the inputs are simpler, and the slow-mo makes it easier to see what you have access to.

Unlike classic shmups in which you upgrade your build incrementally, Sol Cresta sees your arsenal shift constantly, based on pick-ups and which Formations/Medal attacks you expend. I was absolutely sceptical at first, but this inclusion of Character Action-esque mechanics works much better than I thought. The game has a dynamic and ever-shifting feel to it, forcing you to adapt instead of relying on tried-and-true approaches. Stringing together a series of wild moves really does feel like it makes the most of the Cresta series' unique identity.

That said, there are downsides here which are hard to overlook beyond the aforementioned visual style. The story mode (which is sold separately or included in the Dramatic Edtion), is a perfunctory shounen anime plot with appropriate (Japanese only) voice acting. Worse yet, actually reading all the translated text is a strain, since it's displayed on the sides of a hectic action game (similarly to how Raiden V handled this). Another disappointment is the curious lack of unique bosses, especially by PlatinumGames standards. The game recycles 3 of its forgettable bosses with slight moveset variations to fill out the first 6 levels, leaving just the final stage with a memorable design and unique feel to it.

hfIurkF.png

07. Sophstar (2022, Switch) ★★★★☆
Surprisingly fully-featured vertical shooter from Brazilian studio Banana Bytes. Multiple ships with significantly different playstyles to choose from, several modes, and it has a unique teleportation gimmick to set it apart from contemporaries. The story it tries to tell is rather middling: a very generic pilot-with-mysterious-past affair, which might've been better to excise. There are a few odd issues such as button mapping not displaying correctly, but I don't know if that affects other versions than just Switch. One thing to note: don't play this if you're at all photosensitive, it has some heavy flashing.

5kVCLFZ.png

08. About An Elf (2022, Switch) ★★★☆☆
Rather basic point & click adventure with a very light turn-based combat element. Excels in its incredible presentation, comprised of glossy, plasticene, hyperrealist dioramas set to short, dinky drum machine loops. Your unreliable narrator is telling her friend about various (possibly untrue) adventures, while occasionally breaking the 4th wall in a punchy, jokey script. It doesn't seem to have much to say, and your methods of interaction do not meaningfully change over the game either. As a result it felt a little long in the tooth, despite only clocking in around 4 hours. But it presents a very cohesive vision, and stays firmly in its lane - a solid result for a tiny development team.

HhqOCL0.png

09. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (2019/2022, Switch) ★★★★☆
Mecha-themed time-travel game which mixes adventure game storytelling with tactics combat. Well, I say mix, but the modes are fairly rigidly separated. You're given significant freedom in selecting the order in which you experience all the events on its 2 century spanning timeline, and can do the battles whenever you please.
Much of the writing in 13 Sentinels isn't so much plot-heavy, as it is dense exposition and world-building. Scenes are short enough to maintain a break-neck pace while juggling 13 character arcs, and stack cliffhangers atop previous cliffhangers. It's impressive to consider how other players will reach revelations in different orders, yet will still be guided to the same cohesive picture. This comes at the cost of making it a story easily spoiled, since even an understanding of its setting may vary depending which branches you explore first.

It's a reference-heavy script, leaning hard on mainstream sci-fi intertextuality (straight up cribbing a storyline from E.T., for example). This serves a function beyond borrowing themes, though. Some characters from the World War 2 timeline are confronted with the losing battle they're fighting for the Imperial Japanese Army in 1945, only for the game to jump-cut to 1985, and present a Japan steeped in American pop-culture influences.
An aspect I found entirely unnecessary however, was the decision to have the (teenage) pilots control their mechs in the nude. For a script which frequently highlights how violating others' bodily autonomy will cause harm, it doesn't seem to consider how the game's character portraits may be read by its audience. Granted, the imagery is hardly explicit, and the game eventually wheels out a half-baked in-universe explanation, but my initial response was to worry whether this game would go on to sexualise minors in order to court a sketchy audience.

The tactics battles are amusing, but gesture towards much more depth than I actually encountered. In retrospect I should've upped the difficulty, because I sailed through every mission getting undeserved S-Ranks despite blatantly ignoring helpful advice the game was giving me. Luckily they're breezy levels, which mirrors most of the story chapters, too.

6HBRF4h.png

10. Bastion (2011/2018, Switch) ★★★☆☆
Re-release of the XBLA game which put Supergiant Games on the map. Cool to see how their trademarks (excellent score & voice acting, isometric combat, in-universe difficulty modifiers and narration, base building etc.) date back to their very first release. The action is already serviceable here, albeit a tad simple: a dodge roll + strike will carry you throughout the game if you want. Coupled with the absence of enough systems with which to distract you from the combat, it does grow monotonous though.
The story is presented in small enough chunks to establish a sense of it unraveling. Unfortunately, it did frustrate me at times. Particularly when it becomes clear your mission is to finish a genocide, and the game simply offers you no ways to cease participation or resist until the very end. Regardless of which ending you pursue, if we take the game at face value, your character remains complicit. Either he commits mass murder to reset the world, hoping to avoid said genocide and mass murders from happening in a future loop (the presence of a New Game+ mode suggests the cycle of violence never ends, however). Or he kills a lot of Ura people in service of nothing beyond learning a lesson at the expense of their lives. Only to then return to live with a manipulator who, had they been upfront with you, could have prevented the countless senseless murders. For the game to paint the latter as the hopeful of the two endings, without offering a way to opt-out entirely feels weirdly tone-deaf, as if its implications were not fully considered.
This lack of character agency around such a topic reminds me of another, albeit vastly different, 2011 release: The Last Story, which features an oddly similar storyline. Speaking of character agency in Bastion, it feels like a missed opportunity for the only named female character to make notably less unprompted decisions by herself than the other characters. Her backstory provides plenty of tragic material to work with, but she's left to complete her character arc mostly off-screen.

ozcfJvN.png

11. Transistor (2014/2018) ★★★☆☆
Very ambivalent on this one. On paper I think it all works. It ticks the usual Supergiant boxes (gorgeous art, soundtrack, diegetic integration of options), and has a unique combat system which mixes real-time and pre-planned elements like some hypothetical hybrid of Faselei! and Bayonetta. Said combat has decent depth too, with weapon aspects you can arrange in dozens of combinations to achieve slightly different effects. The game encourages experimentation through penalties and optional challenges, too.
In practice though, half my battles consisted of unloading a pre-planned sequence, and then either hiding or spamming the one move Jaunt allowed me to, while waiting until a meter refilled. I'm sure there were better defensive options, but the old adage of players optimising the fun out of games rang true for me.
Sticking to just a few trusty combinations also meant I unlocked fewer character profiles. Tying exposition to combat experimentation seems like a good idea, but I found myself bored by these text dumps. Thus I quickly stopped trying to unlock them. It's a lot of telling, rather than showing, which is frustrating since Transistor's writing is otherwise quite competent.
Sure, some elements feel a bit basic (voiceless lady teams up with a bodiless voice), but the game finds touching ways for Red to communicate via humming and writing-then-deleting questions on message boards. The script clearly has things to say about the commodification of attention via social media platforms, initially demonstrating how hive-mind thinking will lead to fickle populaces chasing momentary convictions over cohesive long-term policies. It's subsequently also clever enough to realise how such commentary is easily hijacked by technocrats with visionary claims, though. That said, the game's intentionally vague delivery does slightly hinder its ability to speak to real-world topics. Unfortunate, since the foundation for a convicing thesis feels laid, but the game offers its players too much wiggle room to insert their own interpretations.

GsalhUK.png

12. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 (Switch, 2021) ★★★★☆
Remake of two classics, one of which was new to me. The core design of short, fast-paced bursts still holds up very well, and naturally invites retrying to improve. The iconic soundtracks return largely intact, with some appropriate modern additions. It still controls like a dream, but the decreased floatiness took some getting used to. I do like how they've modernised some aspects, like renaming the Mute Grab to Weddle Grab to honour the Deaf skater who invented the trick. Similarly, the game emphasises a new generation of skaters (such as Nyjah Huston and Aori Nishimura), which feels like an appropriate passing of the torch as Tony Hawk and his late 90s contemporaries wind down their athletic careers.

o2bDKi3.png

13. Graze Counter GM (2023, Switch) ★★★★☆
The chibi character art and sub-par story initially turned me away, but this remake of Graze Counter has a lot more to offer than it lets on. It's a short, fast-paced bullet hell with precise controls, several modes, and 16 subtly different ships (including one which unsubtly nods to DoDonPachi Blissful Death). By just barely letting enemy fire graze your ship (think Psyvariar Delta), you gain access to the titular Graze Counter. This short blast works in tandem with the less frequently earned Break mode to plow your way through dense curtains of bright pink fire. I do wish your hitbox was more obviously marked, but it's a generous, newcomer-friendly entry in a daunting genre.

nBoEA5y.png

14. Picross S Genesis & Master System Edition (2021, Switch) ★★★☆☆
Another solid Picross S title from Jupiter, with dozens of hours of puzzles. That said, it does feel like a missed opportunity to have all these classic Sega franchises to draw on, but not use any of their iconic tunes. If the fear is for the music to spoil puzzle outcome, then at least play a sound effect from the corresponding game when the puzzle is solved. They're also still recycling the puzzle solutions across regular and Mega Picross modes, and keep insisting on including no more than 30 Color Picross puzzles - despite this clearly being the best new mode since Picross S3.

1SxzjB7.png

15. Citizen Sleeper - Episode: Purge (2023, Switch) ★★★☆☆
The 3rd and final (free!) expansion to last year's GOTY sat atop my list of anticipated releases this year, so it's a bit deflating to realise it didn't fully connect with me. Structurally it's very solid: the Flux event's mysterious veil is lifted, and revealed to be a banal form of DRM software, operated by hypercapitalist space landlords trying to reposess "their" property.
Thus, the inhabitants of the Eye, who long denied access to the refugee flotilla, are now forced to rely on the kindness of people they othered. The metaphor is made literal: capitalism will push anyone into the periphery, regardless of social status. Refugees and citizens are social constructs; arbitrary lines of division which the ultra-rich will gladly uphold to keep the masses at each others' throats. But the moment these social groups stand in the way of extractable resources, the real division becomes clear: there are haves, and have-nots. It all mirrors neatly at a character level, too: while inhabitants become refugees, the Sleeper and Peake can in turn transition from refugees into citizens.
The Switch port seems to really strain under this last expansion, running considerably more sluggish than before, and it even hard-crashed on me once. While presumably unintended, this does amusingly mirror the Eye straining under the Flux events.

On paper this is a slam-dunk finale, and I have a hard time articulating why it disappointed me slightly. It's still good, but Citizen Sleeper has much higher highs in both the main game and the 2nd expansion. Normally this game is great at instilling urgency, but an odd lack of pushback makes its finale a total breeze. Even a late-stage antagonist can be pushed aside with near-zero consequences. Perhaps I came in with unrealistic expectations, but Citizen Sleeper set those expectations itself. This script has routinely pulled off poignancy, heartbreak, despair, tension, and glimpses of pure tranquility. I was hoping for one last such moment.

VD0FMKX.png

16. Rolling Gunner + Over Power (2019/2021, Switch) ★★★★☆
Extremely elegantly designed horizontal bullet hell shooter, directed by ex-CAVE programmer Daisuke Koizumi. Rolling Gunner has a simple, intuitively grasped concept: your ship fires forward, while a secondary cannon fires in opposite direction of your movement. You can also freeze its position for more targeted fire. The Over Power DLC lets you control the auxiliary cannon with the right joystick, moving the game into twin-stick shooter territory. In some ways this feels like the true vision of the project, especially since it makes the game easier. The art style and story are quite generic, but it does impress in presentation thanks to very short end-of-stage cinematics upping the production values.

aOJVdbb.png

17. DeltaZeal a.k.a. ΔZeal (2002/2023, Switch) ★★★★★
Vertical shooter initially released to Japanese arcades as G-Stream G2020, on supposedly crummy arcade hardware, and allegedly without properly paying its 3 developers. Later the lead developer got to re-release it as ΔZeal, retroactively making this the start of the Zeal franchise, which also includes XII Stag/XII Zeal, TriZeal, and ExZeal. On the surface this looks like a more intricately designed, slightly futuristic military take on Raiden Fighters, but there's enough happening under the hood to set it apart.

Its weapon system is simple, but neat: you have 10 weapon slots to fill with 3 varieties of pick-ups. Want more lasers? Grab the blue icons. Prefer missiles? Go for green, etc. This lets you either mix and match a balanced set, or go for a full set of a single colour. Doing the latter nets you extra powerful vulcans/lasers/missiles, but also means you'll have to be careful not to grab a different icon and lose a fully matching set. The devious scoring, which revolves around medal-chaining, invites you to take more risks to keep a chain going. It's further complicated by secret extra routes and branching paths, which add sections to levels if you're doing well, but simultaneously introduce more possibilities to meet an early demise.

ΔZeal feels slightly out of time, like it grazed the impact of the then-emerging bullet hell sub-genre, rather than fully absorbed it. Instead, it hews closer to Psikyo's output, or perhaps even RayForce: games which upped the speed of enemies and bullets, but still aimed them all at the player, rather than the aimless, fanning shots found in bullet hell. As a result, death comes at you quick, from places it wouldn't in other games - its contemporary developers at Cave would never allow units spawning under your sprite to point-blank kill you, but ΔZeal requires you either learn their spawn positions, or eat some cheap deaths.

There are further frictions I normally wouldn't excuse in other games: Bullet visibility isn't always great when both sides are exchanging pink fire. The game doesn't explain what triggers extra sections, or how routes branch. It won't let you practice a level before beating it in a run. In general there's a lot of ways the game punishes you, but outside of scoring it has relatively few rewards. Elsewhere these minor annoyances would add up, but here I felt oddly charmed by them. ΔZeal has a lot of secrets, and no intentions of spilling them. Instead, it's up to the player: do you want to take on more risk, or purposefully play worse to shorten levels and increase odds of survival?

I recognise my score is probably a tad higher than the ~4 stars I'd imagine this getting in consumer information style reviews. I'm absolutely choosing to either overlook or outright embrace some annoyances. ΔZeal puts me in that Guitar Hero-esque flow state, but adds much higher risk-reward wagers, and a punishing sense of danger to the affair. Its minor flaws are reduced to more variables to consider when reading the proverbial Matrix underpinning the programming, while the catchy music and hypnotically fast gameplay remain. The added developer commentary is the icing on the cake in this re-release, its text-to-speech delivery feeling rudimentary, while its contents feel more candid - which I suppose mirrors the whole game, really.

G7Ulqta.png

18. Story of Seasons: A Wonderful Life (2023, Switch) ★★☆☆☆
Remake which combines Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life (2003/2004) and Harvest Moon: Another Wonderful Life (2005) into a single package. The town map, sound design, and general structure of the game remain largely unchanged, but there are improvements to inventory, menus, and general interface. Most dramatic is the stylistic overhaul: the new cartoony art style, with cutely redesigned characters, and pink fluffy sheep, is a distinct departure from the originals' GameCube grime.

This remake largely succeeds in reducing points of friction of the originals, but goes a bit too far in my opinion. Animals will no longer get sick and die, greatly reducing consequences if you treat them poorly. Similarly, cows and goats will give milk perenially, rather than only for a short period after giving birth. Viewed purely as a game, this is an improvement: it lets you maintain a more varied stable rather than one filled with cows, since you had to keep breeding them to keep milk production going (as in real life). But as a farming sim it does mean some realism is sacrificed. Likewise, the original games purposefully taunted you with the prospect of a cheap goat, only to make them economically useless after a year, which felt like a lesson in greed. Your short-sighted desire to exploit the goat's milk in year 2 saddled you with an animal who would only cost you fodder and the lost opportunity cost of a valuable barn spot for another 7 years.

Field farming is somewhat streamlined too, so you're left with more time to kill in the town, which inadvertently highlights how limited the social aspects truly are. Some NPCs have routines they repeat their whole lives, others will happily recycle a single phrase to say across multiple years. In year 1 you have 8 theoretical bachelor(ette)s to pursue, each with multiple cut-scenes, and a decent amount of dialogue. But by year 2 you'll have reduced 7 of them back to generic NPCs with 5 lines a year. As a result, the town grows uninteresting far too quickly, which makes running an efficient farm almost a punishment. Yes, the pace of the story has been substantially improved by reducing every chapter to a single year, but nonetheless I felt boredom already set in by hour 20 (of 50+). The game runs out of goals to pursue at the halfway point, and that's already well past the point where its loop grew stale.

A Wonderful Life remains a cozy farm/life sim, and this is a generous remake in a market where a shoddy port would've sold too. It brings upsides, like combining 2 games into one, features a new localisation, adds same-sex relationships and a non-binary option, looks great, and runs at 60fps to boot. That said, it sands off a few too many edges, which ends up highlighting how it doesn't address the core issue of the originals: a severely front-loaded story with way too long of a boring, repetitive tail.

BWFXfgZ.png

19. Batsugun Saturn Tribute Boosted (1993/2023, Switch) ★★★★☆
Re-release of Toaplan's last shooter from 1993, containing 2 versions (and 4 soundtracks) of Batsugun. This is often considered an early progenitor of the bullet hell style shooter, along with Toaplan's other 1993 release V-V (a.k.a. Grind Stormer). Batsugun still bears the hallmarks of classic shoot-'em-ups (collectible power-ups, losing some power when hit), but enemy shot patterns are dense, and your hitbox size is reduced. The game's Special Version features more iterations, reducing the hitbox even further, and brightening the entire colour palette to make incoming fire more distinct. The latter is a double-edged change, both improving legibility, but simultaneously diminishing the grimy neon look. There's a garish quality to the original's art, and it's not hard to see how Junya Inoue iterated upon Batsugun to later design the cleaner characters for ESP.Ra.De., which fully commited to an urban setting. Even the hornet iconography is already present, which would later show up in DonPachi.

Historical significance aside, Batsugun does hold up on its own, but there's a real sense the developers were reinventing the genre mid-way through. Stages 1-3 are relative pushovers, in which you feel overpowered, before stage 4 pulls out all the stops and coats the screen in bullets. Shots of all colours rain down at you fast and in clusters, requiring quick reflexes, big sweeping evasive movements, and memorisation of enemy placement. This sharply contrasts with later genre innovations, which reduce bullet speed dramatically, pick from more limited shot colour palettes, and focus on micro-dodges over constant player movements.
Batsugun's back half is a demanding game, with few moments to zone out to. I also think the game lacks a bit of context for the action, since the mix of human and mechanical foes don't make for the clearest story. There's connective tissue between the level themes, but Batsugun feels most iconic when gliding through its early aquatic levels, so it's a small bummer when those get traded for more generic cityscapes.

YnjJQCi.png

20. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective (2010/2023, Switch) ★★★★☆
Remaster of the 2010 release on DS. Smoothly animated adventure game, where a ghost tries to solve his own murder. This is from the Ace Attorney creator, and has a similarly colourful cast of cartoony characters zipping through a fast-paced, punchy script. It's amusing to watch the game invent new in-universe explanations everytime it wants to break/amend a previously established "rule". Some of the music gets repetitive, and towards the end the plot does jump a few sharks - but overall this is a fun romp.

DtRFUhy.png

21. Operation Logic Bomb (1993, Switch - SNES NSO) ★★★☆☆
Went spelunking in the NSO apps and fired this up, thinking it would be a puzzle game based on the title. Instead, it's a slightly drab, overhead sci-fi action game, reminiscent of twin-stick shooters. Maybe it's due to low expectations, but I came away positively surprised! Granted, the action is not very strategic - everything boils down to picking foes off from angles their shots can't reach. And yes, the more novel weapons (like a decoy clone of yourself) don't show up until past the halfway point.
But it's interesting how the game attempts to do wordless storytelling by showing scans of areas and CCTV footage. It's no Metroid Prime by any means, but they've arrived upon a similar solution here. The colourful finale also weirdly impresses after 2 hours of grimy Alien vs. Predator environments, and I like how enemies stay dead even when backtracking. I don't want to oversell this game - it's needlessly difficult, barely establishes a plot, and I got lost a few times. But if you're not opposed to using save-states, and enjoy the weekend-rental vibes of the NSO catalogue, you could do worse than this.

jFaLN1G.png

22. Joy Mech Fight (1993, Switch - NES NSO) ★★★★☆
Another one from the pits of the NSO mines which I assumed would be garbage at first blush. Instead this turns out to be Nintendo published and uh, feels like a contender for a top-tier Famicom game? It's a fighting game starring abstract robots with Rayman-esque detached limbs, and there's a shocking amount of playable characters with individual move sets. Even better, the actual fighting feels snappy, slowdown is minimal, and everyone feels incredibly easy to learn in a Smash Bros. kind of way. Admittedly, the surprise factor helps a lot, but this seems super impressive for its hardware.

IDuRwqn.png

23. BurgerTime Deluxe (1991, Switch - GB NSO) ★★★☆☆
Have heard this series get mentioned once or twice in retro gaming videos, but this was entirely unfamiliar to me. Turns out it's a nifty puzzle game. You're a tiny chef in a big kitchen, climbing ladders (like in Donkey Kong) to reach hamburger ingredients, and drop them onto stacks. Meanwhile, various angry ingredients follow you around like ghosts from Pac-Man, who you'll want to squash between falling hamburger layers. The chef's movement speed is very slow, and the music gets repetitive fast, but the tiny cut-scenes between levels inject just enough personality to keep you going.

9lwj88c.png

24. Gargoyle's Quest (1990/1991, Switch - GB NSO) ★★★☆☆
Ghosts 'n' Goblins spin-off in which you play as Firebrand, the Red Arremer who ended many early runs in Ghosts 'n' Goblins. I've never invested the time to get even remotely competent at that series, since the frantic enemy spawn rate feels exhausting. Gargoyle's Quest is a slow-paced affair, by contrast. Its platforming sections still require reflexes and precision, but it feels like you set the pace of the game, rather than being forced to contend with its whims.
When you're not platforming, the game changes to an overhead RPG perspective of sorts. You go from town to town, collect items, gain abilities, get into random (sidescrolling) battles, talk to locals (with truly incredibly slow text speed), and try to decode what its absurdly vague localisation is trying to tell you. In a roundabout way the cryptic translations and unique creature designs lend the game an air of mystery, which meshes well with the organ-esque soundtrack attempting to escape the Game Boy's sound chip. Gargoyle's Quest often feels uneven, barely giving you time to appreciate new abilities before bestowing the next one upon you already, but it punches well above its weight most of the time.

RuWR4Mj.png

25. Demon's Crest (1994/1995, Switch - SNES NSO) ★★★☆☆
Third game in the Gargoyle's Quest sub-series. Another ambitious title, another uneven result. This one does away with the overhead RPG perspective, focusing on sidescrolling everywhere except for the Mode 7 style world map. Presumably those were impressive at the time, but I'd rather pick stages from a menu; the world map gestures at more secrets than it really holds, and winds up as a minor nuisance. The actual stages are varied enough, and manage to establish atmosphere thanks to an organ-heavy soundtrack and once again terrific monster designs. You're encouraged to go back to stages with future power-ups, but this isn't a full Metroidvania.
Once again there's a cryptic vibe to the game, since you'll need to replay stages to find different exits. Maybe I'm just too impatient, but some exits did not seem obvious (why do you need to jump into a tornado in a stage where wind is an obstacle?). Likewise, there are certain spells I couldn't figure out (a quick search suggests some of them flat-out don't work due to a bug), the game does a poor job communicating how you need to collect everything to fight the true last boss, and there are some very late difficulty spikes. Still an impressive release, but I lost patience with it towards the end.

elj9MZA.png

26. Eigengrau (2023, Switch) ★★★★★
Surprise GOTY contender for me! It's like someone looked at WarioWare's new-idea-every-30-seconds pace and asked "but what if this was a bullet hell?" The result is a 2 hour ballet of bullets, pulling all sorts of gimmicks and references, daring the player to keep up. Tetris shaped incoming fire? Check. Pac-Man style maze section? We got it. Triggerheart Exelica inspired wrecking ball? Sure! The bounce attack from Crimzon Clover? Of course! There's even Snake and Dance Dance Revolution style sections. With all these homages the game risks losing its own sense of identity, but the colour vs. grey theming provides just enough of a frame for the game to maintain a cohesive vision, and it has an oddly calming, string-heavy soundtrack. Besides, it has plenty novel tricks of its own amidst the references: most memorable is the boss who reverses all its outgoing fire, requiring you to dodge backwards through the hail of bullets you just passed.
There are elements to critique: the bosses always replicate hazards from the preceding levels, which feels like it follows the axiom of bosses needing to be skill-checks for players a little too rigidly. Likewise, on subsequent runs the surprising elements obviously hit diminishing returns, although it does offer a mirror mode and various hidden sub-objectives to keep things fresh. I don't fully know who to recommend this to, since its closest reference points are perhaps MileStone Inc.'s Radirgy, or Shmups Skill Test from Triangle Service, but I feel like Eigengrau's appeal could be a lot wider - if you like twin-stick shooters and surprises, check this out. Even has a free demo on PC/Mac!

w1gzikn.png

27. Devil World (1984/1987, Switch - NES NSO) ★★★☆☆
Probably mostly known in trivia contexts as that Miyamoto & Tezuka take on maze games which never got released in America due to Christian imagery. As usual the kerfuffle is entirely unwarranted: a lil' dinosaur shoots demons with crosses and Bibles, while a blue Devil dances atop the screen to move the borders of the play area. The Pac-Man influence is impossible to miss, but the moving play area adds some dynamism not found in static single screen maze games, and Devil World varies in objectives per phase of each round. It also varies in how you can't collect pellets without carrying a cross, the Power Pellet equivalent here, but there's so many of them it's rarely a problem. The legacy of this game is stuck somewhere between a fun fact and its assist trophy presence is Smash Bros., but its reputation as a clone game feels unfairly dismissive.

JXn49is.png

28. Dr. Mario (1990, Switch - NES NSO) ★★★★★
Falling block puzzle game where Dr. Mario tries to line up pills to destroy viruses. Has a lot in common with Tetris, but rather than starting with a clean slate it's as if you're inheriting a messy stack and need to gradually unwind it. I got to the end of the Low Speed mode, but the SP version on NSO lets you see the Hi Speed mode's last level and true ending, which is worth seeing too. Definitely a contender for my favourite NES game.

qiU1ODg.png

29. Dr. Mario 64 (2001, Switch - N64 NSO) ★★☆☆☆
Very late N64 release. The core gameplay is still good, but there are minor bugs like being able to stack half a pill higher in the top-left corner than you ought to be able to, and the timer can freeze after 99 minutes of playtime. The visual presentation got an overhaul, but the soft, fuzzy visuals aren't really an improvement over the clarity the NES offered. More annoyingly, the music is a lot worse, and several irritating sound effects were added too.
Chief addition here was the 4-player multiplayer, but instead I want to complain about the story mode - essentially a series of versus matches strung together by a weak comedy plot. It features some hideous character designs with awful names like Mad Scienstein and a clown called Rudy. Apparently they hail from Wario Land 3, but they give off real Original Character, Do Not Steal vibes. The entire mode winds up feeling like a detriment rather than a boon.

nF07MAH.png

30. Magical Drop II (1996, Switch - SNES NSO) ★★★☆☆
Surprisingly addictive 1-v-1 puzzle game with the fast pace (and extensive cast) of a fighting game. You rearrange coloured orbs to create chains of 3 or more identical ones, which sends garbage to your opponent's field. Setting off chain reactions is the real play of course, and they feel easier to manufacture than in PuyoPuyo. Mind, I'm not great at Magical Drop by any means, but despite its evidently high skill ceiling, it's also very easy to learn (this version in particular is newcomer friendly as it uses 1 fewer orb column than the arcade & Neo Geo versions).
MagiDrop 2 has a surprisingly large cast of characters (all themed around the Major Arcana in a Tarot deck), but they have very little to say to each other. The game does have individual ending cut-scenes, but whether you'll find them all rewarding partially depends on your tolerance for vaguely implied nudity and repeated feet jokes. It looks like Magical Drop III andVI are the real fan-favourites, but I don't see a reason to avoid this one if you're curious.

8MvFTMK.png

31. Pokémon Puzzle League (2000, Switch - N64 NSO) ★★★☆☆
Quite blatant Pokémon themed reskin of Panel de Pon which was never released in Japan. Interestingly this draws much more upon the anime than the Pokémon games tend to: it features original animation and voicing, and even the music tries to sound like the 2.B.A. Master soundtrack. Gameplay is solid too, with several neat modes, and a weird 3D cylinder shaped play field to experiment with too. I didn't manage to clear it higher than normal mode, but it has a secret ending for the harder modes too.

5GddURE.png

32. Kirby's Dream Land (1992, Switch - GB NSO) ★★★☆☆
This is the first Kirby game ever, back when he was still white rather than pink, and could not absorb foes yet. A lot of future series staples were already present though, including bosses like Whispy Woods, Kracko the thundercloud, and of course King DeDeDe. The game is a short, breezy, 5-level affair, clocking in well under an hour tops (and that's including a boss rush to stall for time). Its runtime works in its favour though: the game can continually impress with new big sprites and level backgrounds, which might grow stale if they were drawn out over entire worlds.

h2Z6hH0.png

33. Kirby's Dream Land 2 (1995, Switch - GB NSO) ★★☆☆☆
By this time Kirby was already a full-fledged franchise, with pinball and mini-golf spin-offs already out before this sequel landed. His characteristics were rapidly solidifying too, with copy abilities originating from Kirby's Adventure on NES, and animal companions getting introduced here. Their addition is a mixed bag however: they speed up your movement, but if you show up with the wrong one you'll wind up platforming with a fish on land, or swimming with the owl. Occasionally the game does this on purpose, and in those cases it works to add some light extra challenge, but just as often you're ditching your buddy to stop them dragging you down.
Unfortunately Dream Land 2 grows stale quite fast. The last set of mirrored stages are neat, but half the worlds feel extraneous, and it doesn't help how they get progressively longer. I'm not into its SNES sequel either, so maybe these non-Sakurai directed platformers just aren't quite for me.

RRkH7fA.png

34. Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (2000, Switch - N64 NSO) ★☆☆☆☆
Bit of a hot take perhaps, since the game isn't awful, but I liked almost nothing about playing it besides the environments and cute picnic moments. It's a slow, dull platformer with forgettable music relative to the franchise's pedigree. It's got several good tunes, but also a lot of meandering synthscapes and tracks full of irritating chimes and bells. There are some selling points to Kirby 64, but few of them come without reservations. For e.g.: the "2.5D" backgrounds hold up well thanks to their angular designs, but the camera sometimes chooses angles which result in situations where you can't see ahead, or enemy traps get purposefully obscured to engineer cheap gotcha-moments.
Likewise, the game's main innovation of combining 2 copy abilities to form new ones unfortunately results in a shallow novelty. Sure, it's funny to turn Kirby into a fridge or snowman, but with so many possible combinations picking up new powers after finding one you like becomes a risk, rather than a reward. The only reason to interact with the system outside of curiosity and short-term amusement is to collect 100% of the items (which feels damning for the game's main raison d'être), and doing so presupposes an interest in prolonging your stay in the already quite boring levels.
Some stages have strong theming (the factory), but outside of a single chase and some vehicles sections you're going through level 1 exactly the same way as the last one. Iteration within the game feels very minimal, resulting in a samey experience spread very thinly across its runtime.

QMhAmbV.png

35. Kirby & The Amazing Mirror (2004, Switch - GBA NSO) ★★★☆☆
Coming straight ouf of Kirby 64 the movement in Amazing Mirror feels like a breath of fresh air. If it wasn't for Kirby's slow turning, I'd invoke comparisons to Shovel Knight degrees of speed. Amazing Mirror features an interconnected world, and at times approaches Metroid-like world design. Unlike in that series however, it's mostly a detriment here. Without persistent upgrades outside of heart containers, you frequently run across obstacles you can't clear without a certain power-up you last saw 8 screens ago. Add the amount of one-way doors into the equation, and suddenly that short trek back involves looping around the entire area. It also doesn't help how the game's map system is impressively uninformative, so it's difficult to remember which power-up you need to bring to which precise map square.
Admittedly it does seem impressive how the game can track 4 players across the game world, and the idea of 2 players simultaneously fighting different bosses across the map to speed up completion is cool. As a solo player however, you need to mop up the entire world yourself, and will get irritated at the constantly respawning enemies and frequent backtracking. Luckily the strong finale means the game ends on a high note.

hR6YeSg.png

36. Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble (2000/2001, Switch - GBC NSO) ★★★☆☆
Puzzle game centered around rolling Kirby through stages using motion controls. Pretty novel for its time and hardware, but it's not a game I've heard about often. Inititally I found the controls quite annoying, especially since jumping is mapped to a shaking motion (a mistake you'd see Wii games like DeBlob make too). But from level 4 onwards you're combining mild puzzle elements with the longer hallways and can really gain some speed. The game gets surprisingly gnarly towards the end, but the final boss fight ends on a cute note to make it worth it.

2wi69HV.png

37. F-Zero 99 (2023, Switch) ★★★★★
The mad lads finally made the F-Zero online death race people have been fantasising about for years! I will admit to being slightly disappointed at seeing this go for the SNES aesthetic upon reveal, but I couldn't have been more wrong. This is a very natural evolution for the franchise, with the aggressive risk-reward managing of mid-pack battles found in F-Zero GX now done with 98 other human opponents. The progression systems are super addictive, always giving you things to strive for, even if you're never winning races.

pwuIkM4.png

38. F-Zero (1990/1991, Switch) ★★★★☆
Got curious to try the original after F-Zero 99, and found it holds up really well. It is lacking the attacking moves of later entries, and also doesn't combine health and boost into a single bar like its sequels, so there's more emphasis on risk mitigation rather than taking risks. But a lot of the series' trademarks are already here: a remarkable sense of speed, excellent soundtrack, and the enduring futuristic vision. It's missing some obvious features like a trophy ceremony after every Grand Prix, and multiplayer. But while Nintendo would introduce those in Super Mario Kart, that game feels like it runs choppier, with less precise controls, and with tighter, more angular tracks than F-Zero's wider, more legible circuits.

7GY0Ps9.png

39. Super Mario Kart (1992, Switch - SNES NSO) ★★★☆☆
The first Mario Kart has a dinky feel to it, with very obvious limitations imposed by its hardware. Many of the hallmarks were already present: most of the cast would return in every instalment, items like banana peels and shells are introduced here, and even some track themes would become mainstays (ghost houses, Bowser's castle, Rainbow Road). However, the lack of verticality requires some suspension of disbelief on the player's part to work. Why can't you go over certain lines? Well they represent walls, obviously, and no your short hop doesn't clear them.
I do like how coins and item boxes (both also flat here) disappear in future laps, requiring you to take slightly different racing lines. Speaking of racing lines, the CPU opponents drive near flawlessly here, and sometimes it feels like your rivals are flat-out cheating since they seemingly always have an invincibility star in their back pocket. Decent game overall, even it has been made thoroughly obsolete.

WRPj7E9.png

40. Mario Kart 64 (1996/1997, Switch - N64 NSO) ★★★★★ Replay
Still one of the best entries in the series. Probably the most iconic character roster, and the item balance is better here too by cutting the fairly inconsequential coins and feathers, while introducing the rare blue shell. Music is much better too, and it features several enduring course designs (D.K. Parkway), as well as the best-in-series Battle stage (Block Fort). Not every course is a winner in single player, but even the annoying ones become hilarious in multiplayer. My only complaints are how the CPUs blatantly cheat on 150cc, and I guess the drifting isn't as refined yet as Double Dash!! would eventually make it.

BD6MVUn.png

41. Mario Kart: Super Circuit a.k.a. Mario Kart Advance (2001, Switch - GBA NSO) ★★★☆☆
Somewhat perfunctory third instalment in the series. It's not outright bad, mashing the flat surface tracks of Super Mario Kart with Mario Kart 64's character models, items, and voices. However, it adds very little to the series, other than bringing it to handhelds. Perhaps that was enough at the time, but through a modern lens the lack of verticality is very noticeable once again. The track selection is lacking too, with many themes getting repeated (did we really need 4 Bowser Castle variants?), although it does include all the SNES tracks if you take the time to unlock them. There's a few winners here, like Sunset Wilds with its changing sky, and Rainbow Road with its ample opportunities for risky jumps. But overall this feels like a step back for the series until Double Dash!! would introduce new innovations.

OS4S1Xq.png

42. Suika Game a.k.a. Watermelon Game (2023, Switch) ★★★★☆
Highly addictive puzzle game where you try to match fruits. The slightly unreliable gravity results in that intoxicating mix of unpredictable rewards for repetitive actions. It's got only one, super annoying song, and I wonder if something like an (optional) basketball shot clock might be worth adding since you can theoretically take forever to drop your next fruit.

4BnEr15.png

43. WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ (2003, Switch - GBA NSO) ★★★★☆
The first WarioWare title is a startlingly complete vision of what the franchise would become. The pace is fast, jokes come quick, and the trollish sense of humour is a natural fit for the character. The art style in this entry is all over the place, ranging from beautiful pixel art to MS Paint crudeness. Only minor bummer is how it reuses some microgames without many changes to them, but at the breakneck pace that's a short-lived complaint.

9eOLtMj.png

44. Fighter's History (1994, Switch - SNES NSO) ★★★☆☆
I've never played Street Fighter II and even I can tell this is blatantly following SF2's footsteps. Looking into it, Data East even got (unsuccessfully) sued over this game by Capcom. That's probably the most interesting fact about Fighter's History, but I will say the game feels perfectly competent on its own, despite an utter lack of identity. It has 9 playable characters plus 2 bosses, all with unique move sets, and decently detailed arenas for everyone. All the fighters are entirely forgettable, except for final boss Karnov, who I believe is from a different game series. It feels like there's some political commentary happening, with the Soviet-coded Karnov disguised with keffiyeh & agal in a Middle-Eastern oil field, but I'm not informed enough on these topics to fully grasp its significance.
The fighting itself works well: it's a fast game with simple inputs, and impacts feel crunchy. Perhaps there could've been a bit more time between moves to punish button mashing, but that'd come at the expense of the current responsive controls. I don't know how much depth there really is for true fighting game fans, but as a scrub I had an okay time mashing buttons for 4 hours.

sJjjnhm.png

45. Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (1991, Switch - SNES NSO) ★★★★☆
Gave this franchise another shot after liking its spin-off series Gargoyle's Quest. Had bounced off of Ghosts 'n Goblins previously, but this third game drew me in with its opening cinematic, and fantasic visuals. The series already has a unique style, and for an early SNES game this looks particularly impressive. Mind, it's still a very difficult precision platformer loaded with traps, and an inflexible double jump which doesn't let you change directions once in the air. But the surprisingly generous continue system and the NSO addition of save states greatly help at tipping the scales against a game which is clearly giddy about trolling you with blind jumps, surprise spawning enemies, or outright flooding the screen. There's a sense of humour to poor Arthur's terrible fate, between running around in his underwear after losing his armour, and getting sent back all the way for a 2nd loop right before facing the (rather disappointing) final boss.

y2nVmps.png

46. Dig Dug II a.k.a. Dig Dug II: Trouble in Paradise (1985, Switch - NES NSO) ★★★☆☆
Sequel to a Namco arcade classic I haven't played. Unlike the side-view underground digging of the original, which looks similar to Mr. Driller or SteamWorld Dig to me, this is an overhead action-puzzle game set above ground instead. You need to clear levels of enemies, by either inflating them 'til they pop, or by sinking parts of the island they're on. Quite addictive, but the game never introduces new foes, so its difficulty can only increase by upping enemy numbers, and more restrictive level designs. Later levels get fiendishly difficult, but on NSO you can trial & error your way through using savestates. Impressive amount of levels (72!) for a game this old, and there's a funny, morbid touch where sometimes the last surviving enemy will choose to drown themselves instead of facing you.

qOdwnDl.png

47. M.U.S.H.A. a.k.a. Musha Aleste: Fullmetal Fighter Ellinor (1990/1991, Switch - Genesis NSO) ★★★★★
This got a stupid backcronym for the American release, and does a good job at masking behind an Edo/Tokugawa era aesthetic, but it's unmistakenly an Aleste game with the serial numbers filed off. MUSHA feels on the easier side for the franchise, especially if you get good at cycling through phases for your Options. The metal soundtrack isn't my jam, but it's a good fit on Genesis, and meshes well with the bombast the storytelling attempts. Great game, feels like a top-tier release on the system.

EmRB2VG.png

48. GyroBlade (2020/2023, Switch) ★★☆☆☆
Helicopter-themed vertical shooter trying emulate an 80s arcade aesthetic. Having never played Tiger Heli or Twin Cobra, I imagine those were fairly similar, although mercifully GyroBlade at least has autofire, and an ending. It's a pretty competent, albeit repetitive game, with good music, and a bit more challenge than I expected. Unfortunately, not all said challenge derives from the stage and encounter designs. Rather, it uses tanky enemies and the Gradius punishment of losing power-ups upon death. The latter I understand in a retro throwback, but it feels severe since it takes almost two full stages to get fully powered up again. While I think GyroBlade achieves the goals it sets for itself, it lacks some identity to set itself apart.

OT4qbKy.png

49. GyroGunner (2023, Switch) ★★★☆☆
The sequel to GyroBlade maintains the helicopter theme, but this time it's an omni-directional shooter. You're given more tools to work with, both offensively (lock-on missiles) and defensively (flares), and this time the game places limits on both (jammers can disrupt your lock-on system, flares are finite). This results in more layered gameplay, where you need to weigh which targets to pursue first (do you take out the jammer first, or sources of incoming fire?), and being too cautious risks your fuel running out. The addition of a world map, and a more climactic final level also help in giving the game a more perceptable arc, which GyroBlade lacked. Granted, GyroGunner is still a retro throwback from a single developer working on a tiny budget, but it's cool to see their progress.

hvtL28G.png

50. Zero Gunner 2- (2001/2018, Switch) ★★★☆☆
Another helicopter shooting game, this one being a rebuilt port of a Sega Naomi/DreamCast game. Production values seem quite high, and the polygonal models mostly clean up nicely (except for the grainy texture on your helicopters, amusingly). It's a short, fast-paced 7-stager with less jokes than Psikyo's Gunbird series, and offers nicely scaled difficulty levels. The central idea revolves around letting players angle their chopper 360 degrees, but since this predates the twin-stick era the turning is a little convoluted. Not a bad game, but not especially memorable either.

p6NSJvV.png

51. Steredenn: Binary Stars (2018, Switch) ★★★☆☆
Very mixed on this run-based, procedurally generated horizontal shooter. It frontloads a lot of immediate annoyances which you'll just need to accept if you want to get anywhere. These include basic things like many weapons not autofiring, or how switching weapons interrupts your fire, both of which require separate, semi-randomly dropped upgrades to solve. Initially the enemy designs blend together too; you'll just need to learn to recognise them. Most annoying is how you can't practice boss fights in the practice mode until after you've beaten those bosses. So if you're stuck on the level 6 boss your only way to practice is to repeatedly replay a 20 minute run before getting another go at him
In those moments the procedurally generated structure really works against the player - as every run the stages are different, so focusing squarely on learning a boss cannot be separated from adjusting to a set of newly rearranged levels and upgrades (unless you replay a fixed Seed, but that often requires entering a 6+ digit number and the game doesn't use the on-device software keyboard). I understand doing repeated runs is the point, but this game is brutally difficult at first, to the point where I think it goes overboard. Especially since you can do multiple loops of all stages, I don't see why the first one had to be this difficult already.
Last complaint: I know music is highly subjective, and I've certainly seen people online praise Steredenn's soundtrack. But personally the butt-rock got on my nerves very fast, and since turning it down still left the crunchy sound effects, this quickly became Mute & Podcast Game to me.

For a while this game was headed straight to the two-star pile, but i will say its "one more go" draw hooked me. And 45 hours later a lot of my initial reservations had been solved by time. I had all the bosses down pat, knew how to reliably trigger secret bosses, and was shooting for a third complete loop. It's not a game I would recommend to many people: it's way too hard, visually on the uninteresting side, and has music I dislike. The procedurally generated levels will be an immediate turn off to shooting game fans who want to study levels by heart, but the game also doesn't draw enough on the persistent upgrades found in rogue-lites to appeal to that crowd. If you're somewhere in between both groups, this offers a functionally endless experience which stays interesting long beyond your first cleared loop. But I don't know how much the Venn diagram truly overlaps.

GSZBNZo.png

52. Yoshi's Story (1998, Switch - N64 NSO) ★☆☆☆☆
Cute, but very dull platformer, with grating music, and level design that seems to go nowhere since stages end whenever you've collected enough fruit. The visuals are nice, and I didn't realise how much the Smash Bros. series lifted from this release, but this feels like an enormous drop in quality after Yoshi's Island. When you make a platforming game and the best level is the water level where you do no jumping at all, something went wrong. The way you can choose levels might make for a good speedrunning game perhaps, or as a first game for very young children?

Finished: 52

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Another day, another game down...

10. Mega Man (Game Gear) - A mix of Mega Man 4 and 5 (and Quickman's stage for some reason lol). Its compromised by the GG's small screen and not making compromises in level design (so there's hazards you literally wont see unless you know the levels inside out) but I still had a blast with it. At worst, its still a fun classic Mega Man game, even if its rougher than the NES titles.

Next up:
Bayonetta 2
Yakuza Kiwami
Phoenix Wright 3
Grime

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

A thread for people that are trying to play 52 games in a year. Tell us how you're doing and what you are going to play next - claim a post and update us on your progress! How do I take part? Claim a 'main post' where you will list all your completions for the year. You can use fancy images...

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
3188969-box_tl.png

1) Telling Lies(XBOX One) 12/31/22-1/1

Was a bit pessimistic about playing this one given it came from the creator of Her Story, which I played last year and felt it was the least enjoyable game of the 53 games I played of 2022. But maybe it was a one off or maybe this is just a genre I didn't like at all, the mystery & intrigue made me want to make this my 1st game played of 2023 for that alone.

Thoughts:

1) Better than Her Story: So last year, I tried out the first of the three major Sam Barlow/Half Mermaid games in Her Story and to say I was unimpressed would be the understatement of the century. I found the concept lacking with really no push or objective outside of typing out words & seeing the videos/interviews that correspond to it. While an intriguing on it's own, maybe it's me as a gamer, but I need some form of handholding. Not something that insults your intelligence but also something that gives you absolutely nothing to get or understand what it is you're trying to do. I considered Her Story to be among the worst games I played last year, which seems extremely controversial given it's a well-acclaimed darling but alas.

So there was admittedly trepidation upon entering the 2nd output from Barlow and co., 'Telling Lies' due to how poor Her Story was, at least for me. However, I came away more impressed from this 2nd entry than I did with the previous game. Where Telling Lies is better are the different cast of characters and it being a less ambiguous story than what Her Story was. Instead of 1 main character, you had 4 people caught in a web of lies who each had a role in how the story is told. This was far more digestible in theory and as aforementioned, it's a story that's more easier to follow along with. My major issue was how long the videos of Her Story would go and while that wasn't necessarily fixed in Telling Lies, I do think the overall plot was more digestible for someone like me who comes into these games looking for a story to be told rather than being forced to piece every single jigsaw of a giant puzzle. For some, this is desirable but for me, I just want a movie where I have minimal control & choice making over. I feel Telling Lies does a much better job than it's predecessor.

2) Different Endings: While admittedly after having watched all of the endings online after the initial one I got, I understand some criticism on how things end in this game. Telling Lies conclusion feels sort of rushed. Not in the sense that you do or don't get enough time to search for videos on what exactly happened, but it's a very brief run down of each of the 3 major female characters and their story drawing to a close. However, I do appreciate that there are different endings based off what road you take which is consisted of which videos you search for on the laptop you have to your use.

3) More of the Same: Despite this game being better than Her Story, Telling Lies still falls into the same pit hole that Her Story does. If you like really digging & clawing for anything clue related or trying to piece a game together, you might get more out of this. However, despite this being an easier to follow game, it still follows the same mold as Her Story did so this game isn't suddenly going to break you away from enjoying this type of genre of game. It's a game intentionally done to be out of order and if you aren't fully digging for every nook & cranny, you will get lost rather easily. There's 1-2 specific clips at the very end that you sort of need to know what to search for to fully get closure for what happens in this story amongst the characters. I feel without doing that, you sort of miss out on the endgame that happens throughout the story.

4) Dead Air: Way too much dead air occurs in this game. There's moments where I had to check to see if I accidentally paused the game but characters will just stare awkwardly into the camera for like 15-20 seconds before resuming. If it's once or twice, it's fine but this was happening for a majority of the videos you see. I get why it's done this way, to show they're interacting with someone else on the other end to display that this is a conversation occurring but still, it's a bit much for a fair amount of videos to have this. Felt like videos dragged on for the sake of and you could not fast forward or else you miss dialogue by the character you're trying to learn about.

5) Unlikable Main Character: This is maybe more personal but I didn't find any of the 4 characters really likable, I would say the closest one that I did like and try and find as much video footage about was Max but that's about it. In a way, it's good that every character is flawed because it makes them more endearing to the player and that this feels like reality vs fantasy. However, you also need to have some redeeming aspects to your characters and I felt the main character, David, was abysmal as a whole.

He's well acted but the more I saw of him overtime, the more I found him to be someone of terrible judgment and someone who cares about no one but himself/self-centered. Considering this game really revolves around him as a major lighting rod plot-wise, it gets a bit much to see him as a whole continue to make decisions that I disagreed with so much. If we had a poll or vote on who worst characters of 2020 were, he'd be pretty high up there actually. If that was the game's intention, mission accomplished but if they wanted to give him some sort of redeeming arc to try and make you sympathize with him, I didn't feel it.

Overall: 7/10 Compared to the failing grade I would have given Her Story, Telling Lies is just massively better. Didn't feel fully lost where I need to read up or look online to know what order things should go. Felt the surplus of characters made it a far better viewing experience and I appreciate that the searches lead to different paths or at the very least, a different ending exclusive to what you decided to pursue via your searching. It's still not a great game but that's more of Telling Lies being a victim of the type of game that it is. It doesn't drastically change anything that was done by Her Story but I felt more enthralled into the story that was being told in Telling Lies and I am truly curious how much Sam Barlow's 3rd game, Immortality expands on Telling Lies and if it's a better game or not.

tumblr_mmpgdxTqbX1qcjglso3_400.gif

2) Syberia 1(NSW) 12/29/22, 12/31/22-1/2

Thoughts:
Game from 2002 plays and feels like a game from 2002, all I can think about when playing Syberia for the 1st time was "Outdated badly". This game suffers from Quality of Life perspective and I think this game is one of those where if you have nostalgia about this game from back in the day, you might overlook what the game actually is today. Unfortunately for me, this isn't the case. The Syberia series was always one I wanted to get into and play after hearing some good opinions of the 1st 2 games and getting the game very cheap on a sale via the Nintendo Switch, I said why not?

In a nutshell, the plot is basically you play as an American lawyer(Anne Walker) who has to seal the deal of a contract negotiation for her boss by getting the signature of a descendant of a toy factory. However, as you'd imagine, this becomes far more complicated than what was anticipated and your protagonist goes through an entire journey as she tries to secure this deal for fear of losing her job or well-standing with her boss. All along the way, she speaks with her husband or mother or best friend to get updates about life in New York(her hometown) in the meanwhile which leads to some interesting dialogue. It's a point & click game with puzzles which no combat and it's admittedly a very relaxing game due to the lack of it so you sorta have to know what you're getting yourself into. For a while, I always thought this was a Tomb Raider/Uncharted esque linear action-adventure game until recently discovering this is point & click.

Lets highlight some good about this game:

Puzzles Galore: Game gives you pretty standard and fair puzzles. Basically, you need to click around and/or follow clues or directions that are listed throughout. Not the 1st nor last game to do this, no puzzle really overstayed or was nauseating although it goes back to point 1 that due to the moving back & forth, it got tedious if you messed up to have to go right back to a beginning portion and then having to do re--do it. It's more of a Quality of Life issue since this game is 20+ years old but it's the name of the game.

Reasonable Game Length: Game is a good 7-8 hours long which is seemingly pretty solid for a game of this genre. While part of this game's issue is padding game length due to the traversal going back and forth, it's still a decent enough experience where it isn't overly bloated or feel like it's little meat on the bone.

Now the negative:

Bland As Snow: One of the biggest crimes a point and click game can do is make a game that's void of any personality or creativeness and for much of Syberia, I felt that way. Forget the wooden acting, game came out in 2002 so this game wasn't alone in this regard. I thought some characters were voiced better than others but this is a minor blemish if at all. What isn't minor is the one dimensional, bland characters you embark throughout your journey. It feels so generic and basic which is sort of the theme of this entire game. No characters that really stick with you, the plot lacked any kind of bite or twist that wowed you(Which 20 years later, this game gets overshadowed mightily in comparison to narrative games). This was the biggest takeaway from this game. It's fine to not have anything ridiculous but at the same time, everything just felt so close to the vest plotwise.

Even the stuff that was made out to be a big deal.....really wasn't, in large part because you barely interact or know the side characters excluding one character. Without spoiling, when the big news drops by the end of the game, why is this suddenly a massive deal considering you barely know the main protagonist, Anne Walker's relationship with these characters over the phone outside of "Husband" or "Mother". This sort of thing would work in a 2nd or 3rd installment of a game, not 6 hours into a brand new game.

Overall: 6.25/10 I came away pretty unimpressed for Syberia 1, even giving it the benefit of the doubt considering it's a 20+ year old game and all. I can overlook Quality of Life issues but not a bland story and set of characters. Will still give Syberia 2 a shot as it came apart of a dual purchase package but this game came, stood in my Switch for a few days and left as cold as the train ride in Siberia.

Last edited:

SpaceUI

Oct 31, 2017
Update!
I beat...
Tlxq1fd.png

01. Resident Evil: Village | PC - January 11th - 16hrs - ★★★★☆
As with the previous entry, Village starts strong with an intriguing story and amazing atmosphere, with nice art direction and sound, music being somewhat forgettable. The gameplay also feels familiar to those who played the previous entry, requiring stealth to avoid enemies, or fight them with the classic assortment of guns and grenades.
The titular village is a great introduction to the feeling of dread that this piece of european country-side has. Later on, you get introduced to the colorful and entertaining villains, a highlight being the internet fascination, Lady Dimitrescu, who chases you around and makes exploring the castle grounds delightfully tense. Unfortunately, the game loses a bit of its steam after this and starts veering towards action, but retains some suspenseful moments and grotesquely memorable enemies. As for the story, it picks up in the final confrontations, and leaves some interesting questions regarding this franchise and its future.

Main Post

Last edited:

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
Main Post | Next Post >>

USfKdme.png

0. SLAY THE SPIRE | Jan 1st | Beaten (over 500+ hours and who knows how many runs)

I've played this game every damn day of my life since discovering it, so it's going on this list.

Mostly play the mobile versions, but since I have discovered the beauty of StS MODS, I am now playing this game a lot more on my steam deck. The mods for this game are so HQ.

rdaRybx.png

1. HEAVEN WILL BE MINE | Jan 7th | 2/3 routes beaten, will do the third eventually

A densely written LGBT+ visual novel about lesbians fighting in space mechs for the future of humanity beyond the stars. There are 3 central characters and 3 routes. The flirting and romantic tension is just as ever-present as the lore of the world. While it sometimes felt like the concepts got too abstract and the prose went in circles, the universe is captivating and the chemistry between the characters is strong.

Love this thread, I knew I wasn't going to make 52 games last year due to finishing my PhD, but to my own surprise I did get pretty close again! Definitely trying to be back this year and make it my third time I complete the challenge!

Off topic but congrats on your PHD!

Last edited:

vertThunder

Oct 25, 2017
1) Children of Morta (PC) - Jan 12
2) MLB the Show 22 (PS5) Platinum Trophy - Jan 12
3) God of War Ragnarök (PS5) - Jan 15th
4) God of War Ragnarök (PS5) Platinum Trophy - Jan 16th
5) Mortal Kombat 11 : Aftermath (PS5) - Jan 18th
6) Fortnite Battlepass Lv 200 - Feb 18
7) Halo Wars (PC) - Feb 25
8) Destiny 2 : Witchqueen (PC) - March 7
9) Pokemon Scarlet (Switch) - March 10
10) Destiny 2 : Lightfall (PC) - March 15
11) Zombie Army Trilogy Episode 2 (PC) - March 18
12) Zombie Army Trilogy Episode 3 (PC) - March 20
13) Borderlands 3 (PC) - April 17
14) Fortnite Battlepass Lv 100 - April 25
15) MLB the Show 23 (PS5) Program 1 - April 26
16) MLB the Show 23 (PS5) Coop Rewards max - April 26
17) Spiderman 2 (PS5)
18) Spiderman 2 - Platinum Trophy (PS5)
19) Steamworld Build (PC)

Last edited:

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
4: Spider-Man Remastered. End: 1/9/2023

Playing through Insomniac's Spider-Man again. The remastered version this time. And the gameplay is still solid. There are definitely elements of this game that feel like they come from a completely different time (such as certain narrative decisions, particularly involving the police, and the hiring of a white woman to play Yuri Watanabe).

5: Spider-Man: Miles Morales. End: 1/12/2023

While shorter than the original game, this is a lean package that delivers an even better experience than its predecessor. I enjoyed this game weaving the theme of community to the gameplay and the narrative. Still has some sloppy writing just like its predecessor, but it's not quite as sloppy (which might be due to the shorter length). Gameplay is even better than its predecessor. I can only hope Insomniac learned from this game with Spider-Man 2.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
11. Gungrave G.O.R.E - Easy, Normal and Hard difficulties all cleared, all trophies acquired. Personally, I really like the game. Its very one dimensional in terms of gameplay (shoot EVERYTHING!) and there are the odd platforming section that sucks, but aside that, its just a blast to play. Like a lost PS2 game that got an HD face lift. The last couple of stages on hard caused some trouble, but a refresh of super moves and weapons managed to give me the leg up and I eventually finished them. Great fun!

Next up:
Bayonetta 2 - Up to chapter 10.
Yakuza Kiwami - Mid chapter 7.
Phoenix Wright 3
Grime

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

A thread for people that are trying to play 52 games in a year. Tell us how you're doing and what you are going to play next - claim a post and update us on your progress! How do I take part? Claim a 'main post' where you will list all your completions for the year. You can use fancy images...

Ganepark32

Nov 21, 2021
Bumper update, taking me to double digits early. Managed to get through a bunch of smaller games. Tends to be something I always do in January to help me get back into the swing of things, revisiting old favourites or trying small indies that are going cheap/that I've missed out on from last year.

3. Lunistice (NS) - ~4 Hours - 7.5/10 - Jan. 4th
A pretty solid budget 3D platformer. Have to say that it looked the part, nicely evoking that PS1 aesthetic. Controlled well, although the controls did get a little fiddly towards the end with some of the platforming elements. But by and large, decent level design and solid mechanics. Nice to see that there's already a sequel on the way, set to take on a Dreamcast era aesthetic, so I'll be curious to see how they progress with that game. If they can tighten the controls and iron out some of the quirks in the level design that slow down the otherwise fast movement, then they could be onto something special.

4. Melatonin (NS) - 2 Hours - 7/10 - Jan. 5th
A rhythm game in the vein of Rhythm Heaven. I thought it was pretty chill, great lo-fi soundtrack, nice soft visual palette and some quirky mini-games. Did struggle to keep the beat a little, especially on mini-games that used half beat presses, and didn't think the auditory cues were always on top of things to keep you pressing in time. Also just felt a little awkward playing on Switch Lite. I've never liked the L and R buttons because of how thin they are but when you're trying to keep a beat and have quick button presses to make, they can be a little iffy. That's more on the hardware than the game though. Generally speaking, it's a great little game but I did kind of want a few more games. Loved the mash-ups at the end of each chapter though, incorporating all the mini-games into one for the end of each chapter was great.

5. Tetris Effect Connected - Journey Mode Normal Difficulty Clear (XSS) - 2 Hours - 9/10 - Jan. 7th
I remember being so hesitant to pay top dollar for this when it released but I relented and fell in love with it on PS4. I'm a big fan of Miziguchi's games and this is definitely up there with the best for me. The combination of the visuals, the soundtrack and the gameplay is pretty much pitch perfect. I never really played much Tetris beyond the original back in the day but this is one that I keep coming back to again and again, either on my PS5 or on my Series S and each time, it's utter bliss. I just usually sit down and spend the 2 hours or so working through Journey mode and lock into the zone and bliss out on the auditory and visual delights on show. It's fantastic and I'll always have a soft spot for getting through Journey mode and finishing with Metamorphosis. Even the heightened speed isn't enough to put me off of that. Second favourite of Miziguchi's games and hopefully we won't be long in waiting for his next.

6. A Short Hike (PS5) - 2 Hours - 9/10 - Jan. 7th
I've lost track of how many time's I've played through this. I've bought it on PC, Switch, Xbox and now Playstation and each time its been great to play through. I know the game like the back of my hand at this point but I still love the act of getting all the golden feathers, finishing all the little quests and then climbing to the summit. Just a lovely cozy game and it's a great one to start out the year with.

7. Where The Snow Settles (XSS) - 53 Minutes - 3/10 - Jan. 8th
I had a fiver sitting on my account balance on my Xbox and saw this and thought "Why not?" As a game, it's pretty rough around the edges. The camera judders and character animations are spotty at best throughout. Story isn't up to much beyond a simple "We should respect nature" narrative which isn't really handled that well. It's a very simple game that doesn't ask much of you but generally speaking, beyond getting 1000 Gamerscore from it, it didn't leave any impression on me.

8. Child of Eden (XSS) - 2 Hours - 6/10 - Jan. 11th
Re-bought this digitally on my Series S after a recent thread about the game and sadly, I think I'd have preferred to have the memories than having replayed it. In my head, I remember it being a fantastic experience but replayed it now post Tetris Effect and post Area X in Rez Infinite, it feels very hollow. It's an auditory and visual spectacle much like any of Miziguchi's games but I think sometimes the visuals take away from the experience as there's too much noise happening on screen at some points. The soundtrack isn't as good as other titles, and that's with me even enjoying Genki Rockets. Evolution is still may favourite chapter but the rest of the chapters feel more disjointed than I remember and really pull the game back somewhat. I don't even feel the pull to replay the levels after getting 4 stars on them all. Sometimes we should leave somethings in the past, the is perhaps one of them.

9. Trash Quest (NS) - 3 Hours - 7.5/10 - Jan 12th
Bought this on a whim with some gold points on my Switch and ended up playing through and finishing it one sitting. Was surprised at how solid the game was. While the visual palette may be a bit of an eye sore, the game plays really well as a short form Metroidvania title. Some of the platforming sections were a bit fiddly with hit boxes for spikes and enemies but beyond that, it was great fun and I'd definitely recommend it. The developer should really have chosen a different font though for in-game writing because it's abysmal.

10. Half Life 2: Episode 1 (XSS) - 2 Hours 45 Minutes - 9/10 - Jan. 12th
I replayed Half Life 2 last year and loved getting to re-experience that. So I thought after a little break, I'd get to the episodes and again, it's more Half Life 2 so it's fantastic. I forgot how much fun these little episodes were. Bit sized expansions that brought some fun mechanics and highlighted some of Half Life 2's strengths. Getting that upgrades Gravity Gun and causing so much chaos in the Citadel is still as fun now as it was when this released. Do wish we could have kept that for the whole game but I suppose it would take away from how special those moments were. I'll move onto Episode 2 shortly but I really hope we get some non-VR Half Life again at some point because I forgot how much I love these games.

Currently Playing: God of War Ragnarök, Half Life 2: Episode 2, Grapple Dog

Main Post

Aniki

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
03 | Rise of the Third Power
Switch | Jan 13 | 38 h | 8.5/10

maxresdefault.jpg

Rise is an Indie RPG taking inspiration from old 16 bit RPGs. The art design of the characters may be a turn off to some peeps. I myself found them charming and appropriate given the more humorous tone of the game. The characters themselves might seem very one note and tropey at first but they became more fleshed out in the later parts of the game and made me revise my first impression of them. Some got a lot of depth to them. One thing i liked especially about the character writing was that it surprised me time and time again. Like at first i thought i had it all figured out and knew who would get together with whom but the game didn't play it straight and instead subverted my expectations, which was a nice surprise.

The true star of this game is the battle system though. It's a simple turn based system where you can command 3 characters at a time. I was impressed by the synergy between different characters and i was trying out new combinations whenever i got a new addition. The battle animations in particular were impressive and just a joy to watch. Battles never became boring and the boss fights stayed challenging till the end. Satisfying to the max.

At last i also need to mention the excellent soundtrack which was a joy to listen to. I'm keeping tabs on this developer from now on.

Main Post

Big_Salad

"This guy are sick"
Jul 10, 2020
I've wanted to join this thread even before I was a member and after two years of being one I finally will. I've been keeping track of my completions though an excel sheet since like 2015 which makes it super silly that I didn't just start this when I became a member.

Anyway, 2023 completions so far:

#GamePlatformDateHours
1​
Horizon: Forbidden WestPS51/2/2023
51​
2​
Splinter Cell: BlacklistXBOX1/7/2023
10​
3​
Steam World DigXBOX1/11/2023
3​
4​
Altered BeastXBOX1/13/2023
2​
5​
Peter Jackson's Kong Kong The GameXBOX1/19/2023
5​
6​
Hi-Fi RushXBOX2/1/2023
8​
7​
Mom Hid My GameSwitch2/12/2023
1​
8​
Journey to the Savage Planet EOTMXBOX3/7/2023
7​
9​
Assassin's Creed SyndicateXBOX3/24/2023
30​
10​
Resident Evil 4 RemakeXBOX3/29/2023
16​
11​
Forza Horizon 5 (DLCs & Updates)XBOX4/18/2023
75​
12​
MLB The Show 23XBOX4/21/2023
45​
13​
Kirby and the Forgetten LandSwitch4/24/2023
12​
14​
Horizon: Forbidden West The Burning ShoresPS54/25/2023
5​
15​
Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker SagaXBOX4/27/2023
20​
16​
Star Wars Jedi: SurvivorXBOX5/4/2023
35​
17​
The Last of Us Part IIPS55/10/2023
20​
18​
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the KingdomSwitch5/30/2023
90​
19​
Titanfall 2XBOX6/14/2023
4​
20​
Grand Theft Auto III Definitive EditionXBOX6/16/2023
8​
21​
Frog DetectiveDeck7/3/2023
1​
22​
Frog Detective 2Deck7/4/2023
1​
23​
Frog Detective 3Deck7/5/2023
2​
24​
Mr. Suns HatboxDeck7/24/2023
10​
25​
McPixel 3XBOX7/25/2023
6​
26​
VenbaXBOX8/1/2023
2​
27​
A Short hikeXBOX8/3/2023
2​
28​
Baldur's Gate 3PC9/1/2023
110​
29​
NASCAR Heat 5XBOX9/13/2023
45​
30​
Cyberpunk: Phantom LibertyXBOX10/2/2023
10​
31​
CocoonXBOX10/9/2023
4​
32​
Assassin's Creed MirageXBOX10/15/2023
30​
33​
Marvel's Spider-Man 2PS510/26/2023
27​
34​
Super Mario Bros. WonderSwitch10/27/2023
20​
35​
Forza MotorsportXBOX10/29/2023
30​
36​
Hotline MiamiXBOX11/3/2023
3​
37​
JusantXBOX11/4/2023
4​
38​
Pac-Man World Re-PACXBOX11/6/2023
7​
39​
Metal Gear SolidXBOX11/11/2023
12​
40​
DredgeXBOX12/1/2023
11​
41​
F1 2023XBOX12/2/2023
25​
42​
The Making of KaratekaXBOX12/3/2023
6​
43​
Atari 50PS512/9/2023
6​
44​
Exit 8PC12/13/2023
2​
45​
Super Mario RPGSwitch12/16/2023
12​
46​
Chants of SennaarXBOX12/20/2023
8​
47​
Lil' Gator GamePC12/20/2023
6​
48​
Goat Simulator 3XBOX12/22/2023
7​
49​
El Paso ElsewhereXBOX12/22/2023
8​
50​
The Expanse: A Telltale SeriesXBOX12/24/2023
7​
51​
The InvincibleXBOX12/28/2023
8​
52​
Half-LifeDeck12/29/2023
12​

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
12. Hissatsu Buraiken (Avengers - no, not the Marvel team) - Randomly felt like playing through this game on Capcom Arcade 2nd Stadium. Its a pretty so-so Capcom vertical brawler that feels really rough round the edges. Stages are quick and easy, bosses are annoying as they feel inconsistent to damage at times. That said, I did devise strategies for most of the bosses (bar the second one) and I did manage to bash out the normal "2 runthrough victory" that most Capcom games of the time had (see GnG, Trojan). I'll give it a few more tries to improve my run, but its not one I'll probably return to much.

Next up:
Bayonetta 2 - Up to chapter 10.
Yakuza Kiwami - Mid chapter 11.
Phoenix Wright 3
Grime
Vampire Hunters

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

Apr 9, 2022
I've been slacking already! Got game #2 done at least.

2: Mario + Rabbids Sparks Of Hope - Ubisoft - Switch

jKpJRZ6.jpg

An enjoyable experience overall I'd say. I kinda got burnt out towards the end but I could have maybe avoided that by doing less side missions. I think they made the right changes for the sequel and improved the gameplay as a whole. Soundtrack is the MVP once again though! Incredible work by everyone who worked on it. Don't have too much else to add other than I doubt i'll pick up the DLC but would absolutely check out a sequel if it ever happens.

Ongoing games

1: L.A. Noire
2: The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth + DLC
3: Diablo III + Reaper of Souls
4: Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale

Main post

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Took some time for a breather after my 80 odd games last year, can't believe it's halfway through the month and I'm only now throwing my hat back into the ring.
As horribly tempted as I was to start adding half stars to my 5 star ratings, I'll hold strong to the tougher option of just 5 stars (so sorry to the below games that could totally have been on 3.5)

1. Kaze and the Wild Masks (Replay) ★★★

Time to start the year with a replay of one of my old favourites, Donkey Kong Country 2...wait, this isn't DKC2, it sure FEELS like DKC2, but no, it's Kaze and the Wild Masks.
Kaze is a fascinating game from my own perspective because what we have here is an incredibly sound and well designed run n' jump platformer that's like 80% DKC2/3 and the remaining 20% feels like an amalgamation of Rayman Legends and Tropical Freeze, with the slightest sprinkle of Kaze's own touch.

So then this leaves the game in an unusual place, it's very fun, it ticks my boxes, and I'm very glad it exists. It's also derivative in a way that's sometimes too much like copying the homework of platforming classics, to the point where entire sections of level design and gameplay concepts are cribbed wholesale, the flight mask is Squawks the parrot man, it's just Squawks!
Kaze herself is basically "what if Dixie Kong was a rabbit" and I'm here for anything that respects super smash bros most eternally snubbed character, rabbit ears replace the ponytail and fulfil a lot of the same quirky prehensile antics like picking up objects, general physics and bounce mechanics opt to aim for DKC Snes over DKC Retro Studios, though the water sections flip this around giving you the rayman/TF style, not a bad shout as it's a preferable way to approach swimming.
You collect letters that spell K-A-Z-E, you find two bonus rooms per stage with bitesize challenges that even bring back the DKC3 "grab green bananas" setup, you play stages incredibly reminiscent of certain DK stages like Stop & Go Station (DKC1) , Haunted Hall (DKC2), Lemguin Lunge (DKC3), Platform Problems (TF)...you get the idea, it's like playing a greatest hits of Kong-tent.

Effectively this is the game's greatest strength and weakness, it never truly finds its own voice, the pixel art is clean, pleasing to the eye, yet lacking that extra flourish that makes the stages really pop (props to the game making villainous veg more entertaining than they have any right to be though). Music is there, it's nice, some tracks are Wise-esque even and the title theme is a pretty nice bop etc.
Only four worlds so it doesn't overstay it's welcome, succinct and to to the point, it's a great little blast of nostalgic platforming that feels like the springboard for something greater to follow in its wake. Every now and then you get glimpses of the game shaking up expectations, the afformentioned "platform problems" homage stage makes use of a mask that gives you an air dash and wall climb like it's mega man X and this wrinkle opens the door to do things differently, the potential is there but who knows if a sequel is on the agenda or if pixel hive will move forward onto something completely new.
Either way I've got my eye on them thanks to this game.

2. Vengeful Guardian: Moonrider ★★★

And now my first new game from this year, a 16 bit throwback designed in the vein of some gaming classics...wait, didn't I just do this? I think both this and Kaze were made in Brazil to boot!
So here's Shinobi 3 meets Mega Man X I guess, it's funny how there are once again things I could say here that mirror Kaze's situation, then again that's nothing new for these devs, creators of the only contra like I could ever beat with Blazing Chrome for instance.
Much more deliberate are this game's homages to a far gone era, the dark visuals, the digitised voice clips, the pixel art stills for story sequences and leaning further into that 90's GRIT that the actual consoles wouldn't be able to get away with.

And once more this is a very enjoyable throwback time, it's got more of its own flair than the above, though its design may not be quite as tight, not that I'm here to pit Moonrider and Kaze against each other (it's kinda like SNES vs Mega Drive up here), it's just funny that these ended up being my recent back to back game combo.
Moonrider has a bit more bark than bite, and I actually appreciate that, it pulls a similar trick to say Bloodtstained curse of the moon, where it's very much like the old games you remember, without kicking you nearly as hard in the crotch.
Boss battles are almost glass cannon-ish, I actually like that as well, they can take you down fast in some cases but simarlarly you can depelete their health with the quickness. Beat the boss and earn yourself a handy extra attack option ala MegaMan, except here your default attack is melee so really you're opening up alternative options like projectiles or a phase dash that's just rude in how potent it is.

While it's expected that a game like this is gonna be short and to the point, there is a feeling of "oh, that's it?" when I was done, after dealing with your Shinobi themed robot masters and their stages (wait, isn't that what the game gear Shinobi was? note to self: the 3DS eshop will be gone soon, maybe get on that) you get to dive into what appears to be the Wily/Sigma Castle equivalent, only for it to end with the quickness after two stages.
It also feels a bit like some of the stages had more going on than others, Moonrider shined to me more in the set piece fuelled stages like being pursued by a background blasting mech, fortunately each stage still feels fairly unique, rule of cool on display with platforming across moving cars and airships, and by borrowing from Shinobi 3 we get the return of THAT running slash and THAT divekick, if you know, you know.

Basically I had a good time, nothing to rave about from the heavens but I'm glad there are devs out there making these throwbacks and not bloating them either, just good ol' fashioned action platforming for gaming boomers like me.

MyDudeMango

Jul 17, 2021
Canada
Debated doing this challenge when I first saw it, decided to take the plunge, reserve a post, and do it! Two games down as of making this post, fifty to go.

01) Sonic Adventure (PC) - Jan 4th to 9th, 16hrs played. 3.5/5

- Decided to try this one at the recommendation of a few friends, also installed a few mods to make it more like the original dreamcast version, which I've heard is by far the better one. The series gets a bad reputation online, but I went in with an open mind and found it to be a thoroughly pleasant experience. For all that the internet has liked to cringe and point fingers at many Sonic games, from my experience this one is just bright, charming, and fun. Didn't touch the Chao Garden feature, but may check it out in a future revisit, or when I get around to SA2. My only lingering gripe is the game's camera, and that some of the later Sonic levels are a slog, especially the final boss of that storyline. 'Get a load of this!' is going to be stuck in my head for a long, long time. I suppose Big's story was pretty boring too, but it wasn't actively unpleasant so I wouldn't mark that against the game. Glad I finally got around to this one, and it's making me really want to give the whole series a shot after many years of more or less writing it off.

02) Swashbucklers: Blue Vs. Grey (PC) - Jan 9th to 13th, playtime not tracked. 3/5

- Now here's a weird little thing. Made in Russia, and by the developers who would later have the misfortune of developing Postal III, it's an action-rpg hack-and-slash pirate game with a cowboy protagonist, lite-steampunk aesthetics, and set during the American civil war. It has a cartoonish aesthetic, but loads of blood and dismemberment and absurd amounts of profanity. Combat is satisfying if easy, and there are plenty of ships to capture and upgrade throughout the game. It isn't as iffy as it could be given the subject matter, but it is a little sketchy at times, and I was disappointed to find at least one ableist slur thrown about at the end of the game. Still, shamefully, I'm a sucker for pirate games, so i couldn't help but enjoy this. This'd probably be 2/5 if not for my forgiving bias, and I don't especially recommend it except to fans of other Russian pirate games like Sea Dogs, Pirates of the Caribbean 2003, Age of Pirates and so on. If you like those games and want more, this might scratch that itch, but it's wayyyy on the lesser end of the spectrum. The steampunk-esque setting is a huge plus though, and I cannot possibly overstate how much I would love to see another pirate game with steamships going at each-other with mortars, rockets, and gatling guns, it's such a promising concept attached to such a middling game.

Edit: Fell behind on updating my logs throughout the year so I'm now opting for a more barebones list/report of completions this year.

No.1 - Sonic Adventure, PC, Jan 9th, 3.5/5
No.2 - Swashbucklers: Blue Vs. Grey, PC, Jan 13th, 3/5
No.3 - Need for Speed Carbon, PC, Jan 21st, 4/5
No.4 - Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi, PC, Jan 24th, 3.5/5
No.5 - Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion, PC, March 30th, 3.5/5
No.6 - Sid Meier's Ace Patrol, PC, March 31st, 2.5/5
No.7 - Murder of Sonic the Hedgehog, PC, April 2nd, 3.5/5
No.8 - Riven: The Sequel to Myst, PC, April 16th, 4.5/5

No.9 - Myst (2020), PC, May 4th, 4/5
No.10 - Tomb Raider III: Adventures of Lara Croft, PC, April 14th, 4/5
No.11 - Return of the Obra Dinn, PC, June 11th, 5/5

No.12 - Rise of the Tomb Raider, PC, July 10th, 3/5
No.13 - Puzzle Agent PC, July 13th, 3/5
No.14 - Puzzle Agent 2, PC, July 14th, 3/5
No.15 - Black Mirror, PC, Aug 16th, 3/5
No.16 - Hotline Miami, PC, Aug 19th, 3.5/5

No.17 - Painkiller: Black Edition, PC, Aug 23rd, 3.5/5
No.18 - Don't Escape: 4 Days to Survive, PC, Aug 24th, 4/5
No.19 - Doom II, PC, Aug 28th, 3.5/5
No.20 - Shadow Warrior (1997), PC, Aug 29th, 3.5/5
No.21 - Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, PC, Sept 4th, 4/5
No.22 - Silver Screen Story, PC, Sept 6, 3/5
No.23 - Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood, PC, Sept 9th, 3.5/5
No.24 - Halo Reach, PC, Sept 10th, 3.5/5
No.25 - Blood, PC, Sept 16th, 4.5/5
No.26 - Postal II, PC, Sept 22nd, 3/5
No.27 - Yu-Gi-Oh: Forbidden Memories, PS1, Oct 2, 3.5/5
No.28 - Shadow of the Tomb Raider, PC, Oct. 26, 3.5/5
No.29 - Link: Faces of Evil Remastered, PC, Nov 2nd, 3/5
No.30 - Zelda: Wand of Gamelon Remastered), PC, Nov 4th, 3/5
No.31 - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, PC, Nov 7th, 4/5
No.32 - Slay the Princess, PC, Nov. 10th, 4/5
No.33 - Mega Man, PC, Nov. 11th, 3/5
No.34 - A Hat in Time, PC, Nov. 29th, 3.5/5
No.35 - Half-Life: Blue Shift, PC, Nov. 30th, 2.5/5
No.36 - Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People Episode 3: Baddest of the Bands, PC, Dec. 5th, 3.5/5
No.37 - Half-Life 2, PC, Dec. 7th, 3.5/5
No.38 - Half-Life 2: Loast Coast, PC, Dec. 7th, 3/5
No.39 - Counter-Strike: Condition Zero - Deleted Scenes, PC, Dec. 10th
No.40 - Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People Episode 4: Dangeresque 3 The Criminal Projective, PC, Dec. 10th, 3.5/5
No.41 - Half-Life 2: Episode One, PC, Dec. 11th, 3/5
No.42 - Half-Life: Uplink, PC, Dec. 11th, 3/5
No.43 - Half-Life 2: Episode Two, PC, Dec. 14th, 3.5/5
No.44 - Atlantis: Search for the Journal, PC, Dec. 14th, 2/5
No.45 - Atlantis: Trial By Fire, PC, 2.5/5
No.46 - Treasure Planet, PS1, Dec. 16th, 2.5/5
No.47 - Atlantis: The Lost Empire, PS1, Dec. 20th, 3/5
No.48 - Family Guy Video Game, PS2, Dec. 22nd, 2.5/5
No.49 - 80 Days, PC, Dec. 22nd, 4/5
No.50 - Overboard! PC, Dec. 28th, 3.5/5
No.51 - The Great Ace Attorney Adventures, PC, Dec. 30th, 4/5
No.52 - Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People Episode 5: 8-Bit is Enough, PC, Dec. 31st, 3/5

Last edited:

Chiktabba

Mar 31, 2022
Main post

Northern_Journey-3.png

#03 - Northern Journey
An atmospheric and janky first person adventure/fps game made by a solo dev. Thank you ERA for making me aware of this game through a Steam sale hidden gems thread <3
The first 6-7 hours were brilliant, with great level design, beautiful vistas, tons of variety and a mysterious/creepy vibe. The latter half dragged a bit and I was glad for it to be over: there was way too much combat (which is NOT one of the game's strengths) and the level design was a lot less polished overall. Still, it's quite a feat for a single person's first game and I'm looking forward to their next endeavours.

Psychonauts_2.png

#04 - Psychonauts 2
A wonderful sequel to the first Psychonauts that I remember enjoying quite a lot, almost twenty years ago.
The game is bursting with creativity, it's gorgeous, the characters are as quirky as ever and the writing is even better, both in comedy and in drama... I will never forget some of the levels in the game: PSI King's Sensorium, Bob's Bottles, Strike City... And the final level with that music! Not everything is perfect: the fights are a bit of a mess (but they are short and few in number), the cutscenes are sometimes a bit lengthy, and the platforming is not on par with a 3D Mario... But that didn't stop me from being delighted to join Raz in this adventure.

Last edited:

Voras

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Feels pretty weird that this thread gets post on Gaf and Era every year by the same person and it's just not talked about

manifest73

Oct 28, 2017
03. NGU IDLE - PC - unscored
First time i've committed to an idle game. Started on this one a bit over 2 years ago, and Steam says I spent 17k hours in game. I did enjoy my time with the game, it was kind of like a pet that I needed to check in on once or twice a day, but I think I finally sort of understand people who play a game for thousands of hours and then leave a negative review. Dumb game with humor so juvenile to be off putting, but all the same i'm going to miss it.

Original post

Tejrik

Jan 6, 2020
Minnesota
Reserving my spot.
This sounds fun!
I didn't have much time for video games last year, but I recently purchased a Steam Deck and I'm feeling good about my chances to complete this!

January Completions
1.Yakuza Kiwami : First game I played through on the Steam Deck. The story wasn't as engaging as Yakuza 0, but I feel invested in Majima and Kiryu's story none the less. The ending was unexpectedly fulfilling, I'm curious to see how the rest of Kiryu's story goes on from here.​

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
<< Previous Post | Main Post | Next Post >>

zxhxTjR.png

2. YNGLET | JAN 16TH

I beat Ynglet's main campaign last year, but went back to complete the bonus world and get all the achievements. Bonus world is just as big as the main campaign. I originally had it on "challenging" difficulty, but dropped it to "chill" so I wouldn't overly stress myself.
It's a platforming game without platforms. Best I can describe it is, you're a little amoeba swimming from platform to platform. You can give yourself a little boost to rocket through the air, and there are little widget things that interact with and refresh your boost. It's also got dynamic music that plays depending on your movement and boosts. Overall it's an enjoyable and aesthetically pleasing game.

Last edited:

Deleted member 32615

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
9a447f998c345aa3d17edf06a725fd1c.jpg

Game 4: The Last of Us Part 1 (PS5) (10 Hours) (January 11th, 2023)
Do we need this remake? No, not in the slightest. Is this remake awesome anyways and perfects an already perfect game? Hell yeah it does. The Last of Us Part 1's brilliant gameplay systems, beautiful writing and wonderful characters shine even brighter in the TLOU2 engine, like it's unreal how good this looks. It might not need to exist but I'm glad it does

dcf9d91ef7fc13cf55691ba37c133a18.jpg

Game 5: Mega Man (NES) (2 Hours) (January 12th, 2023)
The first bad game I've played this year! I seriously did not enjoy this, Mega Man feels like absolute crap to control, and the level design is straight up bad (How many ladders can one game have?). I hated this one a LOT, but I'm probably still going to play Mega Man 2 given the massive wraps it has, but this one does not feel good in the slightest.

Original Post

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
3. Asura's Wrath ★★★★ (replay)

cFtuE.jpg

This is my third time experiencing Asura's Wrath, and every time I've gone through the same set of reactions
Chapter 1: Oh no, this game might actually be pretty bad/not as good as I remember
Chapter 5: hah, okay now I remember why I like this game (or alternatively for my first run: okay now I'm getting into this game)
Chapter 11: WHY DO I LOVE IT SO MUCH?!

On a base level, Asura's Wrath has pretty weak gameplay elements, it shifts between the most basic of rail shooting and combat that's like a further simplified version of the devs Naruto ninja storm games, yes that's right, the anime tie in arena fighter that's already pretty mash happy has far more depth than this similar gameplay outing that could at a glance look like a character action game, yet it's anything but.
And this does stick out to begin with, when the game is introducing these two sides of the gameplay in their most ho-hum form, not to say the early game doesn't build up a bit of intrigue as it gets the plot ball rolling fast enough and shows off some spectacle.
But it's when you hit the fight against Wyzen that suddenly Asura's Wrath unleashes the true scope of its ever escalating insanity and it never looks back, never, seriously.

Put simply, Asura's Wrath is an interactive battle anime, in some respects the game feels shockingly ahead of its time, or at least it arrived too soon before the gaming world was more accepting of what it offered, that includes me by the way, I've always felt like I shouldn't like this game as much as I do.
A decade of video game releases have passed since its initial release, and the world of interactive storytelling games has exploded out in all sorts of directions.
As such this game holds up surprisingly well for its focus, the art style does wonders for the visuals still looking good (playing on a series S, which also smooths the performance, yum). Asura's Wrath was never trying to be a contender to action game's thrones, I see that now, it makes me a lot more accepting of its gameplay shortcomings since it nails its overall concept otherwise.

Thing is, said gameplay segments are paced in such a manner that they almost always wrap up one style of gameplay just as it gets close to overstaying its welcome, the game bounces from one set piece to the next in such a way that I never actually get bored and will throw in a few variations (more arms! No arms?!)
Best quick time events in video games? I'm thinking best QTEs in video games, there's an actual escalation of QTE inputs and motions that begin to ramp up and more fit the action unfolding, with some ludicrous payoff for the final boss that puts the stupidest grin on my face every time.

Oh yeah, the final boss, that's DLC here, gawd this was worst era Capcom wasn't it? yes I sprung for the full package (again) since I got it discounted last year, Asura's Wrath without experiencing act 4 just shouldn't be legal. This also meant I played the Ryu and Akuma crossover episodes for the first time which were a fun novelty, especially for someone with a lot of SF4 nostalgia.

CC2's cinematic direction is actually kinda insane, there's some oddities with dialogue not always matching the characters mouth movements (even in Japanese) that sometimes feels kinda wack considering how committed this game is to cutscenes, everything else though is lavishly animated spectacle with dynamic camera work, striking "to be continued" stills, and the general art style of "sci-fi buddhist mecha demi gods" is just so unlike any other game, you can't accuse this game of generic designs or not pushing its concept to the fullest that's for sure.

It's an acquired taste, but I honestly didn't think that in 2023 I'd be appreciating Asura's Wrath more, and I already had this somewhere in my GotY list for 2012.

Chiktabba

Mar 31, 2022
Main post

The_Case_of_the_Golden_Idol1.png

#05 - The Case of the Golden Idol
What an excellent deduction/mystery game. Each case is very satisfying to solve and they are all connected to form an overarching story. It has the best implementation of a deduction system in any game I've played (disclaimer: I haven't played Obra Dinn yet). Do give it a try if you enjoy this genre! I know the art style is divisive, but I very much enjoyed it.

Superliminal.png

#06 - Superliminal
A very cool perspective-based (light) puzzle game full of mind-bending moments. Lovely.

Whimsicalish

Dec 30, 2019
Midwest
U5ahX4s.jpg
05 | The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition
PS4 | Jan 17 | 118 h | 4.5/5

Last time I played Skyrim was back in June 2012, before any DLC was out. (Only took me ten years to finally see them.)

I had a blast playing. I love that the world and play style are open. No classes to stop you from experimenting. You can learn any skill and any spell. The DLCs can be challenging if you aren't a certain level, but neither stop you from trying once you have the quest.

It took me to level 30 to figure out I could sprint. Whoops! Only thing stopping this game from being perfect are the bugs. Not the silly bugs where dragons are flopping in buildings or NCPs sleeping in mid-air. Sadly I had a couple quests I couldn't complete due to bugs. Thankfully nothing tied to trophies but I wasn't able to fully knock out my quest journal. Maybe in ten years I'll do another replay?

cpPiZXU.jpg
06 | Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising
PC | Jan 17 | 18 h | 3/5

It accomplishes what a prequel needs to do. Introduces a handful of characters and some world building, while showing off combat. Not a ton of story to dive into and the side quests are mainly fetch quests.

I didn't mind grabbing items or resources since you're constantly going into dungeons. However I did not enjoy the back-and-forth talk to X character, then check in with Y, now back to X. Those were time wasters. Do these townsfolk never leave their spot? Why can't you move to the next area to talk with them if it's so damn important?

I enjoyed the combat the more I played. It became quicker and more fun over time.

I do wish the dungeon maps showed more information, like portals or bosses. It's not a large game; you'll most likely remember where things are better than me. But I do hope there's more in the next game or an option to add icons to my map. Something to help with my short memory lol.

Overall, it wasn't innovative; nothing new or noteworthy. It was average. I did get 18 hours out of it.

Main Post

Last edited:

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Took a while but I'm finally on the board

header.jpg

1. Return to Monkey Island
A wonderful love letter to the series and a good final entry. I greatly appreciate the inclusion of a hint guide and post holiday brain meant I mare liberal use of it throughout. It took me a while to really get into the game, but I did enjoy myself in the end. The Monkey Island series remains one of the most important games in my life and I'm thankful for the team for letting me relive the glory days once more.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom Arcade 2nd Stadium has a tight grip on me... not that Im complaining! Eventually I want to finish each arcade game at least once, plus get all the trophies (easy, but time consuming task).

13. Exed Exes - I actually had a good time with Exed Exes... but then it just sorta wouldnt end. And I dont mean that it just infinitely loops (well, it does) but more so that the game has a fun first few stages, but then runs out of anything new to show, so for what feels like another hour I was just going through the motions... Doesnt help that stage 16 (the "end" of the game) goes on for much longer than the average stage, as its broken up into several smaller stages...
Its like 1942 in a way... Its fun to play but it just goes on for way too long (also, its not as good as 1942 either!)
Not sure I could even say this was better than Avenger(s) to be honest... the length of the game ultimately hurts it - while Avenger(s) is a pretty breezy game to get through, and got more fun the better I got at it. Thankfully as of 1943, Capcom got better at pacing their shmups.

14. Yakuza Kiwami (Plat trophy get, Legend Difficulty, PS4) - I'd already done the 100% run on the game, so that was the majority of the stuff already done, it was just Legend difficulty I needed to do. Super easy all things considered, only annoyance, as per usual is that twat Jingu trying to suck all the fun out of the game. But I had a really good sword in my inventory that cut him down to size. Thankfully the fights around his fight were excellent, especially the final fight.
Still prefer the original Yakuza 1(HD) though, just feel they messed up the balance on this one, as well as some really bad tonal whiplash in writing that really doesnt gel with the original writing. It also once again highlighted to me how 0 badly wrote certain characters/got continuity wrong... which is an annoying little complaint of mine.

Next up:
Bayonetta 2 - Up to chapter 15.
Phoenix Wright 3
Grime
Vampire Hunter

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
1. Yakuza 3 Remastered (PC)
Just beat it as my first game in 2023 that I finished. I enjoyed it, but the boss fights are really infuriating. They block way too often (I know that I can dodge their attack and punch them from behind, but still) and some of the combos can be as brutal as ones in fighting games lol. I had to change it to easy because at that point I just didn't have much fun--also, why the hell in the world I needed to use a Hex Editor to change the difficulty, why they couldn't put it in-game.

I also really hate the climax of the game. The main baddy's motivation is just really stupid IMO. And the ending scenes aren't really choreographed well. Though I understand that at the time the developers are still trying to figure out integrate cinematic scenes within games.

Also, it's clear that Yakuza 3 is the starting point of the Yakuza's humor signature, but it's still not as fleshed out as its contemporaries understandably. At least, this means that the side quests will be even better for the next entries. Now waiting for the next Steam sale to buy Yakuza 4 and 5.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
1. Yakuza 3 Remastered (PC)
They block way too often (I know that I can dodge their attack and punch them from behind, but still)
That's... basically how every boss encounter should be handled in the entire series though? Attacking from the front is a fools errand, at least on the difficulties I play on. Either the boss blocks or they'll hyper armor their way through your attack and just hit you out of your combo. Basically, stop doing it ;)
Its all about getting them to attack then making them pay for it - whether that be a swift hit to the back of the head, or a tiger drop to send them flying (and in 3/4s case, you can then combo them in the air as they bounce off the wall for a free combo).

Whimsicalish

Dec 30, 2019
Midwest
fnMbl31.jpg
07 | Little Nightmares
PC | Jan 19 | 3 h | 2/5

This was not for me, ouch. The art style and atmosphere is very well done. It's creepy and you feel helpless throughout the journey. It's pretty to look at but sadly, I despised playing it.

The controls weren't as speedy responsive for a chase cat-and-mouse game. Plus I had to fight the camera a few times. It would either focus on something inconsequential instead of moving along with you, or move far away to show the scope of a large area until you're a speck on the screen. (Then you fall to your death because you can't see, yippie!) These are my only "real" negative points of the gameplay. Irritating, but not game breaking.

My biggest complaint is the constant instant deaths. I hate insta-deaths in games. Very few times will that work. You can't even struggle; it's instantly over once you're grabbed. They have fantastic atmosphere and creature designs only for me to sigh heavily on my 5th death because I didn't get the pattern of the chase figured out. It ruined the entire experience for me. My one run was only 3 hours long and I have exactly zero interest to replay for achievements. Anytime I felt I was enjoying myself, I went right back to feeling incredibly annoyed. I do not have the patience for these types of "horror" games.

Main Post

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
w5005ecgr.jpg

1. Twinkle Star Sprites
Outstanding - ★★★★ (4/4)

This is a fighting game by way of a shoot em up, where destroying enemies on your screen throws additional attacks to the enemy's screen. I've actually beaten this one before on story mode, but I decided to sign up for a tournament, so I wanted to practice. I ended up playing through character mode with all the characters and ramping up until I was at the hardest difficulty.

The rules to this game aren't totally intuitive, so there's a lot to learn. I was revising my gameplay until they very end. Learning to use charge shots when the opponent's under pressure, learning to avoid volleying back normal attacks so that the opponent has less room to retaliate, learning to be on guard for bubbled enemy formations, learning to maximize directional charge shots.

Unfortunately it was all for naught since I was knocked out of the tournament quickly, but I think my opponent was just too good. I feel pretty confident that I'm decently strong, and at least I was doing well in the practice rounds.

w50003ewy.jpg

2. Shock Troopers
Outstanding - ★★★★ (4/4)

This one's a top down free movement shooter, very in the lines of Commando and Mercs if you're familiar with those ones. I'm very fond of Mercs and think this has a similar quality, but I struggle to say that it's better.

For some of the things that it does clearly do better, it's got very detailed sprites and animations, the controls don't rely on button mashing and let you hold your direction of fire while moving, there are more moves like a tactical roll and a dodge attack, there is a selection of characters with different abilities, and there are way more levels. The game does a lot of things very well.

I can't help but feel like the game isn't as polished, though. Like either the developers relied on the fact that you could just pump coins in the machine so it's okay if it wasn't fair, or they didn't consider different approaches. You have one boss which is a forklift with spikes in the front, so you might think to attack it on at its side, and the boss doesn't have any reaction to that. It still focuses its attacks in front. The game feels like they never really had an intended point where melee attacks were supposed to be useful, since the regular enemies better at retaliating to them than they are shots.

It also strikes me as thought it might be a little too excessive for its own good. In gameplay there are bunch of silly animations that feel like they're going for a similar tone to Metal Slug, but then you have shoujo manga-esque cutscenes which feel too tender to be in this game. While the game has more bosses than Mercs some of them are similar, like multiple tank bosses, so it feels more repetitive even if there's more variety in there.

w500m4iki.jpg

3. Ninja Gaiden (Arcade)
Flawed - ★★☆☆ (2/4)

As opposed to the NES Ninja Gaiden game, this one was a beat em up similar to Final Fight which would come out a while afterward. This one strikes me as trying to be great before it tried to be good. I could go as far as saying it's bad but there are moments where it does look slick.

The big gimmick with this is that you have a climb button, which lets you cling to objects like ledges or platforms. When you're surrounded by enemies, hanging off something is a great strategy because you can easily kick in either direction and have knockdown power that you don't normally. There are sections where you have enemies coming at you from multiple horizontal planes and you've got to manuever around to get into the best position. There's a section where you swing around over danger. It's not always implemented well but it's cool when you use it.

But the thing is that the basic combat is just really bad. Final Fight worked because you were really powerful when the enemies are in front of you and had the tools to move them if they weren't, so it's all about controlling the crowd. Here you have the crowd of enemies but you don't have any way of hitting multiple at once or knocking them down quickly, so they all just swarm you and you're helpless unless you get a sword powerup that lets you knock them down one at a time. You have a jumping throw which is a lot more effective than your slow and unsafe normal attack and should be your primary method of attack at almost all times, but there are still enemies that can just kick through it, and you can't knock enemies down by throwing someone into them.

The backgrounds are kind of great in this game, though. Besides the gameplay aspects, which include not only climbing on things but items that are destructible when an enemy is thrown into them - you can't just punch open a box in this game - they also have a major Americana aesthetic to suit the concept of a ninja in the USA. It's a substantially sillier game than the rest of the series, with the levels ending with the ninja just kind of goofing off such as gambling with bunny girls in Las Vegas. I'm not sure if the Native American imagery included might be seen as offensive. The last level seems to be a big JoJo's Bizarre Adventure reference with images of the stone mask and pillar men everywhere.

exzeus-featuredy5ffu.jpg

4. ExZeus
Bad - ★☆☆☆ (1/4)

This one is a rail shooter originally released for arcades. You pick from one of three mechs with slightly different stats, fly through levels gunning down enemies with a set of different weapons and collecting power ups, go up against a big boss, then buy refills and upgrades for your bars.

To me, this game feels like something a student would have made. Not just the crude amateurish graphics and UI, but how it has a bunch of features thrown together but doesn't really have any idea of how to make them engaging. It's got that sense that the people developing it didn't have much experience and were just trying to learn and show off their growing skills, so they tried to include a checklist's worth of things with no real vision for the final product. Enemies are just thrown at you and bosses are indistinct. There's no identifiable enemy patterns to learn and react to.

I think this has limited lives, and it took me two tries to beat it. The first time I was too relaxed and let myself die if it happened, so I got a game over at the final boss. For the second I was making at least some effort to dodge and make use of my weapons if I was under pressure.

The only reason I'd recommend this is if you were really desperate for Star Fox for similar games and had exhausted any other options. Astebreed does most of what this game does and a whole lot more, and it does it all a hell of a lot better.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
15. Bayonetta 2 (Switch) - Excellent game that comes out swinging from minute one. Lots of excellent boss fights and tons of encounters that just keep ramping up. There's some great call backs to the original close to the end and honestly aside from being a bit too stop/start with cutscenes at times I loved the entire thing. Perhaps a bit too easy/button mashy with the Umbra Climax stuff, but other than that its perfect.

Next up:
Phoenix Wright 3 (Case 2, Trial part 1)
Life is Strange (Episode 4)
Grime
Vampire Hunter
Monster Hunter Rise

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Another week, another few games beaten. Most of my gaming time went to Assassin's Creed Origin, which I will talk about in a bit.

6: Kirby's Avalanche. End: 1/15/2023

It's a Puyo Puyo game with a Kirby skin (but definitely not Kirby writing since our little pink puffball talks shit to everyone). If you're familiar with Puyo Puyo gameplay, there's nothing really new with this one.

7: Pokémon Snap. End: 1/16/2023

One of the most charming Pokémon spin-offs. It's a pleasant way to spend a few minutes doing quick sessions.

8: Assassin's Creed Origin. End: 1/20/2023

I'd fallen off the Assassin's Creed train ages ago, and decided to give Origin a shot. There's a lot of familiarity and nostalgia that comes with returning to a franchise, but I wasn't wild about some of the changes. I wasn't wild about the RPG mechanics, which felt like a way to artificially pad the game out. I have no problems with side content, or with games that encourage players to check out the side content, but sometimes it feels a bit tedious to hold the player back because they didn't do enough side content to satisfy the game so the player is required to do more. I hope later games are better balanced in this department.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
<< Previous Post | Main Post | Next Post >>

tDUmTzW.png

3. LIFE IS STRANGE: True Colors | Jan 19th

There are two stories going on here: one is the story of a town trying to cope with a senseless tragedy. The other is the story of a megacorp covering up it's dirty tricks in the name of profit. The protagonist, and the accident that sets this all in motion, is at the core of both stories. But I found myself enjoying the former story more. The game's best parts were connecting with the characters and sorting out their emotions with Alex's ability. Overall though I enjoyed this game way more than I thought it would. It made me cry, it made me ANGRY, it made me feel content.

(Biggest hang-up though is the annoying autosave system...and the fact that you CAN'T SKIP DIALOGUE OR CUTSCENES, even if you've seen them already. I wanted to go back and get all the achievements but I'm debating if it's even worth the hassle.)

NmwgPbY.png

Giving Up On: POTION CRAFT

It can be relaxing to mix and sell for a little while, and the art and music is very charming (if repetitive), but there are so many things to unlock and it seems like kind of a grind to do it. I may come back to it every once in a while, but I don't have a goal of finishing it anymore.

Last edited:

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
MAIN THREAD

master5.png

Quick Update

• The Case of the Golden Idol - This game is fantastic. I did not expect the story to weave together so well. Couldn't put this game down once I started
  • Xenoblade Chronicles - For a 60+ hour journey, I didn't really enjoy the combat. What kept me coming back for more though was a fantastic world
  • Links Awakening - I already loved DX. The Switch remake is perfect and brings a game and world I already love to another level
  • Dragon Quest V - I have never been able to get into a DQ game before. V broke that for me (PS2 version). While it won't end up on a top RPG list of mine, I loved the world, overall plot and gameplay. Can't wait to play more in the series.
  • Dragon Quest - While simple in nature, the world entices you to make it just a little farther each time. Fun, fast RPG

Maldren

Dec 26, 2018
Round 2!

January
1. Soma (XSS) - Completed 1/1/2023 ★★★½
2. LEGO Builder's Journey (PC) - Completed 1/1/2023 - ★★★½
3. Scorn (XSS) - Completed 1/7/2024 - ★★★
4. The Case of the Golden Idol (PC) - Completed 1/9/2023 - ★★★★½
5. Iron Lung (PC) - Completed 1/12/2023 - ★★
6. Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA) - Completed 1/15/2023 - ★★½
7. Florence (iOS) - Completed 1/16/2023 - ★★★½
8. Neon White (PC) - Completed 1/20/2023 - ★★★★

February
9. Fire Emblem Engage (Switch) - Completed 2/18/2023 - ★★★★½
10. Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Switch) - Completed 2/23/2023 - ★★★★
11. Metroid Prime Remastered (Switch) - Completed 2/28/2023 - ★★★★

March
12. Venineth (PC) - Completed 3/8/2023 -
13. Toki Tori 2+ (PC) - Completed 3/12/2023 -
14. The Witness (PC) - Completed 3/20/2023 -

April
15. Psychonauts 2 (XSS) - Completed 4/5/2023 - ★★★★½
16. Portal 2 (PC) - Completed 4/8/2023 - ★★★★½
17. Babbdi (PC) - Completed 4/10/2023 - ★★★
18. Aperture Desk Job (PC) - Completed 4/10/2023 - ★★★★

May
19. Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Future Redeemed (Switch) - Completed 5/1/2023 - ★★★★
20. Golden Idol Mysteries: The Spider of Lanka (PC) - Completed 5/4/2023 - ★★★★
21. The Silent Age (PC) - Completed 5/8/2023 - ★★★

June
22. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Switch) - Completed 6/6/2023 - ★★★★★
23. Citizen Sleeper: Episode - Flux (XSS) - Completed 6/21/2023 - ★★★★
24. Citizen Sleeper: Episode - Refuge (XSS) - Completed 6/21/2023 - ★★★★
25. Citizen Sleeper: Episode - Purge (XSS) - Completed 6/22/2023 - ★★★★½
26. Citizen Sleeper (XSS) - Completed 6/22/2023 - ★★★★½
27. Planet of Lana (XSS) - Completed 6/24/2023 - ★★★

July
28. Final Fantasy XVI (PS5) - Completed 7/19/2023 - ★★★★
29. Kuru Kuru Kururin (GBA) - Completed 7/23/2023 - ★★★★

August
30. Pikmin 4 (Switch) - Completed 8/2/2023 - ★★★★½
31. Maquette (PC) - Completed 8/9/2023 - ★★★
32. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective (Switch) - Completed 8/31/2023 - ★★★★★

September
33. Golden Idol Mysteries: The Lemurian Vampire (PC) - Completed 9/24/2023 - ★★★★
34. The Room Two (iOS) - Completed 9/24/2023 - ★★★
35. Empty (iOS) - Completed 9/27/2023 - ★★½
36. Storyteller (iOS) - Completed 9/29/2023 - ★★★½
37. Cocoon (XSS) - Completed 9/30/2023 - ★★★★

October
38. Solar Ash (XSS) - Completed 10/5/2023 - ★★★
39. Q.U.B.E. 10th Anniversary (PC) - Completed 10/14/2023 - ★★★
40. Q.U.B.E. 2 (PC) - Completed 10/16/2023 - ★★★½
41. Q.U.B.E. 2: Puzzle Pack 1 (PC) - Lost Orbit - Completed 10/19/2023 - ★★★½
42. Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch) - Completed 10/24/2023 - ★★★★½

November
43. The Talos Principle II (XSS) - Completed 11/1/2023 - ★★★★½
44. Jusant (XSS) - Completed 11/11/2023 - ★★★★
45. Monument Valley 2 (iOS) - Completed 11/24/2023 - ★★★

December
46. Ridiculous Fishing EX (iOS) - Completed 12/2/2023 - ★★★½
47. Star Wars Jedi: Survivor (PS5) - Completed 12/4/2023 - ★★★★
48. Before Your Eyes (PC) - Completed 12/8/2023 - ★★★★
49. Platformer Toolkit (PC) - Completed 12/9/2023 - ★★★
50. Suika Game (Switch) - Completed 12/9/2023 - ★★½
51. Wonderputt Forever (iOS) - Completed 12/12/2023 - ★★
52. God of War Ragnarok: Valhalla - Completed 12/17/2023 - ★★★★

52! Hoping to knock out a few more before the end of the year.

Currently Playing:
Mother 3 (GBA)
Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru [The Frog For Whom the Bell Tolls] - (GB)
Master Detective Archives: Rain Code (Switch)
Baldur's Gate 3 (PC)
Octopath Traveler 2 (Switch)

A few 2023 games I haven't had the chance to check out that I'm looking forward to playing in 2024:
Humanity, Armored Core 6, Viewfinder, Spider-Man 2, Chants of Sennaar, plus plenty more that were released pre-2023.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
First timer here. Not sure I can get to 52 but this has always seemed fun and I'll give it a try!

Grand Total: 3 Games

Completed: 1 Game

1. Crisis Core Reunion - COMPLETED 14hrs
Love the FF series and this was my first time playing it. Great game but the late game bosses are very unbalanced. I had to turn the difficulty down from hard to normal just to enjoy and finish it up.
crisiscoreff7reuinion-review-blogroll-1670457378558.jpg

Currently Playing:
- Persona 4 Golden
- Horizon Forbidden West

Last edited:

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
Main post here

3. Marvel's Midnight Suns - PS5 - 70 hours / 22nd January - 10/10
An unexpected delight. I was looking forward to a marvel tale on Xcom, I did not expect a mix of Persona 5 social links and Slay the spire quality card battles. I really enjoyed the downtime in this game, joining a book club with Blade, Cap, wolverine and captain Marvel discussing actual books or taking Spidey on a picnic. Brilliant game, I can't wait for the DLC characters. I'll go back and get the platinum when Deadpool hits.

4. Vampire Survivors - IOS - 20 hours / 22nd January - 9/10
When the IOS version was announced, I just knew I had to play through this again. It's still just as addictive on IOS and the gameplay is perfectly suited to touchscreen. I did find it easier on iPad than iPhone as your finger could get in the way during hectic scenes on the smaller screen. I just wish the game had IOS cloud saves so my save file would carry over from iPhone to iPad but that's the only criticism I have.

DexterBear

Apr 24, 2018
Main Post Here

3 - Mom Hid My Game 3 - Less than an Hour - 21/01/2023 - 2/5
It's the same thing of the other sequel. It's uninspired even if it gets some fun things. Now onto the 4th entry/chapter of the series.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
That's... basically how every boss encounter should be handled in the entire series though? Attacking from the front is a fools errand, at least on the difficulties I play on. Either the boss blocks or they'll hyper armor their way through your attack and just hit you out of your combo. Basically, stop doing it ;)
Its all about getting them to attack then making them pay for it - whether that be a swift hit to the back of the head, or a tiger drop to send them flying (and in 3/4s case, you can then combo them in the air as they bounce off the wall for a free combo).
Yeah, it is. I think the combination of not playing the series after a couple of years and the quickstep in 3 isn't as smooth as in 0 kinda makes the boss fights more frustrating for me. Right now I also just want to enjoy the story/substories and the brainless fights with random thugs in the street, so I'm just not really invested in learning the combat (I didn't really unlock any skills in my playthrough), while in the previous games, I spend hours unlocking and learning about the combat and the skills. Not gonna lie, I miss tiger dropping someone XD

Also, just found out the Yakuza series is on sale on Steam, bought Yakuza 4 remastered and it will be my main game until next month.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
80FWM22.jpg

Game 1 - World of Warcraft Dragonflight
Time: Ongoing
Rating: 5/5

Absolutely fantastic expansion, at least so far during the launch patch, fixing every mistake shadowlands made, bringing back spec trees making classes feel better than better (in general at least), great zones, great dungeons, very alt friendly and with tons of content even for solo players, just everything you want from a wow expansion, now they just need to hit a fast patch cadence (so far so good on that front also with 10.0.5 coming out this week!).

header.jpg

Game 2 - Ender Lillies Quietus of the Knights
Time: 16 hours
Rating: 5/5

Suberb metroidvania with some of the best 2d art around and a really big world and campaign to explore and fight through. The combat is a bit simple, but I really like the spirit system for your attacks, and since I don't usually rate combat overly high in these games (I mean, as long as it gets the job done, I value exploration, level design and abilities more), the rest really resonated with me. Various different endings, lots of secrets to find, I loved it and would easily recommend it to fans of the genre.

Main Post

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
16. Vigilante (arcade) - So originally I didnt enjoy it. Finished it, disliked it, moved on. But then I wanted to put more effort into learning it (because I really dont like disliking games lol) and in the end, I can aaaaaaaaaaaaalmost 1CC the game! Its still a pretty unforgiving game, a little mistake here or there spells doom for you, but with some quick reflexes (and nunchuks) I can get through most obstacles. Helps that boss fights are a pushover lol.
Overall a fun game, once you get the mechanics down. Still like Karate Champ/Spartan X more though.

Next up:
Phoenix Wright 3 (Case 3 start)
Life is Strange (Episode 4)
Grime (at the end boss)
Vampire Hunter
Monster Hunter Rise
Dead Space (original)

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

Last edited:

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
kcqTSeb.jpg

#1 Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga - Xbox - 14 hours - 5.5
Disappointing. The open world is overwhelming and not very fun to explore. Being so accurate to the movie locations is impressive but doesn't make for good map design. The levels themselves are a bit boring too although they do get better. The prequels levels give a bad first impression

#2 Portal (Replay) - PC - 2 hours - 8.5
Still as good as ever, such a tight, focused game that holds up magnificently, even when you remember a lot of the solutions

#3 Wintermoor Tactics Club - PC - 9 hours - 7.5
Cute tactics game, it's a little simpler than I expected, there's not really any leveling up or anything and its a bit on the easy side but the battles are enjoyable and so is the story

#4 High on Life - Xbox - 10 hours - 6.5
Oh geez, oh man, th-this game isn't that bad, you know? But it's like n-not that good like either? Oh geez

#5 Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy - Xbox - 10 hours - 8.0
One I had as a kid but never finished, I had a blast playing this, the lightsaber is fun to use along with the force powers, couldn't resist being evil when they offer you force lightning. first person shooting is fun too, I do wish the academy itself was more flehsed out, its not really a factor in the game

Ganepark32

Nov 21, 2021
Another update, taking me over 25% of the way there. As always, I'm getting through quite a lot of shorter games at the start of the year but that'll change once the releases start to pick up.

11. Half Life 2: Episode 2 (XSS) - 3 Hours 43 Minutes - Jan. 14th - 7/10

I love Half Life 2. It's a fantastic game that even though its beginning to show its ages, still plays great and is still a fantastic experience. Episode 1 is similarly fantastic but Episode 2 is really brought down by the end portion of the game. Having to drive around outside of White Forest and gravity gun those bombs onto the Stalkers as they're assaulting the base, flanked by Hunters, and then being able to switch weapons quick enough to shoot the things before they fall off is infuriating. The gunplay was never great in Half Life 2 (maybe more true of console than on PC) but it all really gets dragged down by this part. I'm still sad we never got Episode 3 but even that disappointment doesn't hit my scoring of the game. Its that final assault on White Forest by the Combine that doesn't stand up well today. It didn't then either to be fair.

12. God of War Ragnarök (PS5) - 39 Hours - Jan. 15th - 8/10

I was disappointed with this. Its taken a while to finish it with me having started it on launch day and with various things happening in between now but yeah, I was very much disappointed in this one. You could argue its almost the perfect sequel in that it gives you more of what GoW 2018 did so well but it didn't really change things up in any meaningful ways to really take it above that game. What doesn't help is the pacing issues with the story. I wasn't bothered by changing between Kratos and Atreus throughout but the story really sags at times, especially in the middle, and I don't think it really recovers from it. The big twist I guessed straight away and the story beats as you got to the end didn't really do much for me. While it was great to see some maturing from Kratos and him opening up to Atreus to be a father, the story for where it goes and the eventual conclusion kind of feel dulled by the slog that proceeded it. The roots of it being a cross-gen title are also very much on display and it's a shame as I'd have loved to see them really push the boat out a bit more on the locations and some of the spectacle of it all. Ragnarök should've been this incredible spectacle but because its cross-gen, its hiding so much of that even on PS5 to accommodate the PS4 version so we never see the true massive scale of the battle unfolding. A disappointment then, still a solid game but could have been so much more.

13. Tinykin (PS5) - 6 Hours, Platinumed - Jan. 16th - 9/10

One of my favourite games of last year. Played it thanks to Gamepass and loved it so much I ended up buying it on PS5 and pretty much getting the platinum in a day on it. It's just such a lovely little 3D platformer and the tinykin mechanics and how they're unfurled to you give just enough variety alongside the respective levels to make this one stand out. Sure, hunting down pollen and tinykin to get the platinum would've been so much easier if there was a map but even then, it didn't bother me as the levels, the aesthetic, the music and the controls made this a joy to replay.

14. Titanfall 2 (XSS) - Jan. 17th - 9/10

Another replay. I've lost track of how many times I've played this one now but the single player campaign is just phenomenally good and something I just love coming back to time and again. Sure, Effect and Cause is a great level but I love that one that starts with you dropping in to a full Titan battle outside a base, Titan friends and foes everywhere. Its such a fantastic moment. Likewise, being thrown by BT and joining up with the other pilots on the Ark level to clear out ships to get to the Ark is so good. Just such a fantastic game and I only wish the multiplayer was still populated as I used to love playing Attrition. One day we'll hopefully get a third entry but until then, I'll keep coming back to this over and over when I want my FPS fix.

15. Sega Mega Drive Classics: Sonic The Hedgehog (PS5) - 2 Hours 30 Minutes - Jan. 21st - 7/10

I grew up playing this and haven't played it in over a decade at this point. Remembered I had Sega Mega Drive Classics on PS4 so downloaded and played through the original Sonic because I was hankering to play a Sonic game and I still can't bring myself to pull the trigger on Frontiers. So I sat down and played through this, making use of the quick save/quick load option and yeah, it's fine. Sonic 2 was always my preferred of the Sonic games and this one definitely feels dated. The controls lag and the Dualsense's d-pad feels so spongey which didn't help with fine platforming (though it did make me feel at home because that Mega Drive d-pad was so spongey too). I'd forgotten how poor the game runs in places due to all the runs and such. The frames really take a beating at times. Level design is really hit and miss, with some good moments but a lot of bad ones (Labyrinth zone is awful, to be honest the whole back half of the game is awful level design wise). It's definitely an example where they really hit it out of the park with the sequel as that really improves on everything that's wrong with the original. Still fun but not as great as I remember from growing up.

Next Up:
Far: Changing Tides (PS5) - Replaying after playing it on Gamepass and really enjoying it
Vengeful Guardian Moonrider (PS5)
Wavetale (XSS)

Main Post

Last edited:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
w500daemp.jpg

5. Avenging Spirit
Good - ★★★☆ (3/4)

This is a fun one, if a little simple and rough around the edges. It's an action platformer where the gimmick is that you're a ghost, and you can only fight by possessing enemies. It's kind of like a predecessor to Kirby, although you can't possess enemies at will, you need to die again.

Enemies are pretty varied despite only having one attack move; things like movement speed, jump high, and attack strength are all highly variable. The difficulty is surprisingly reasonable for an arcade game. The only thing that strikes me as off is that you get damage to your main health bar when you get hit while possessed, so you're kind of being encouraged not to switch bodies because you're getting closer to game over if you do.

The story is surprisingly serious despite it being such a cutesy game. It opens with your character being murdered. I think there are multiple endings depending on how many keys you find, too; I found one out of three, so I guess I got the bad one.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Since the next game I'm going to beat will be Persona 3 Portable, it's going to be awhile before I post again in this thread. Figured I'd get this out of the way now.

9: Pokémon Scarlet. End: 1/23/2023

This game is a mess held together by duct-tape. The gameplay might be the best in the history of the series. These two seemingly contradictory statements sum up this game in a nutshell. Future patches are supposed to do something about how the game runs, but I beat said game before the patches were released. Hopefully future games are a little more polished from the outset, but that they also continue moving forward. The lack of voice acting really felt dated with this entry (particularly with the rapping old lady gym leader).