shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The boss fights are a nightmare, though. They're kind of puzzle bosses in that they're often immune to a certain kind of attack, so you have to think of the effective way to hit them. But there's never really a moment where it's safe to hit them and their attacks are too fast to be read or reacted to, so you're probably just going to eat their attacks. I think the worst might be the second level boss, who splits into three, with only one taking damage. Even if you know which one is the one that takes damage, all three can hit you and they take a lot of room, so they can easily trap you. The bosses' range is also longer than yours so if you do manage to get up to the boss he can just win out on range and you can't do anything. I think theoretically the best way to do it is hit the boss from back with rapid punches, but I don't think it's really viable. On the standard difficulty settings, I couldn't get through the second boss because even if I managed to get into position to start rapid punching him, he'd have eaten all my lives by that point.
I played this several times in January (dont ask why), and trust me the bosses are really possible, but it takes quite a bit of trial and error to get the bosses down... hilariously enough I have a better strategy for the final boss (that works consistently) than that second boss you mention.
But what worked for me (but its far from perfect):
Since he splits into three and you fly so far back when hit, you need him to come to you. BUT (big but) you have to hope the vulnerable one is coming toward you - I hide in the bottom right/left corners since the arena has little cubby holes where the boss will need to turn a corner to come to you - good news since it means it cant attack you from afar - when he gets in range coming round the corner, I simply use the rapid fire kicks (better range) and it drains his health almost immediately, might take a life or two. Not a good strategy but it consistently works, so Im not complaining. The next boss after that (the one with balls which bounce off walls) is hilariously easy by comparison, you just get in his blind spot (either right beside him, or diaginol to him, depends on attacks) and he'll basically die instantly. 4 and 5 take a bit longer (5 especially is annoying) and yeah, 6 is just about using that back space to position yourself correctly.

Its not a good game, but because I figured out boss tactics, I actually like it more than Gun.Smoke, which without rewind is just too unforgiving for its own good. Neither games are better than Commando/Mercs though.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I played this several times in January (dont ask why), and trust me the bosses are really possible, but it takes quite a bit of trial and error to get the bosses down... hilariously enough I have a better strategy for the final boss (that works consistently) than that second boss you mention.
But what worked for me (but its far from perfect):
Since he splits into three and you fly so far back when hit, you need him to come to you. BUT (big but) you have to hope the vulnerable one is coming toward you - I hide in the bottom right/left corners since the arena has little cubby holes where the boss will need to turn a corner to come to you - good news since it means it cant attack you from afar - when he gets in range coming round the corner, I simply use the rapid fire kicks (better range) and it drains his health almost immediately, might take a life or two. Not a good strategy but it consistently works, so Im not complaining. The next boss after that (the one with balls which bounce off walls) is hilariously easy by comparison, you just get in his blind spot (either right beside him, or diaginol to him, depends on attacks) and he'll basically die instantly. 4 and 5 take a bit longer (5 especially is annoying) and yeah, 6 is just about using that back space to position yourself correctly.

Its not a good game, but because I figured out boss tactics, I actually like it more than Gun.Smoke, which without rewind is just too unforgiving for its own good. Neither games are better than Commando/Mercs though.
Oh boy, I'm looking forward to Gun.Smoke now. I just kind of assumed that it would be at least around as good as Commando.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy, I'm looking forward to Gun.Smoke now. I just kind of assumed that it would be at least around as good as Commando.
Standard gameplay is fun until you get to bosses, then it shits itself to death. If you could instant respawn the game would be fine, but you dont, so its basically a case of how quick you crack and abuse the rewind feature (which is a lifesaver here)
Gun.Smoke is one of those games where the NES port is just so laughably superior its not even funny. It actually is a joy to play.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
20: Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes. End: 3/8/2023.

It's taken some time, but I finally completed all three routes. (I had actually started last year before putting the game on pause and resuming with NG+ earlier this year.)

As for what I thought of the game itself. Its gameplay is as refined as ever. Which means it's the story that carries this game. And while some story beats (particularly Dimitri) feel oversimplified, some feel closer to what was intended like Claude, who feels like a more morally ambiguous character compared to the original game.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
15. Terminator Resistance PS4 - I've heard this one called the good terminator game and it sounded intriguing so I had to check it out. It's fine I guess. It starts out interesting with the Terminators being really threatening and dangerous. Then you get a rifle to easily kill them and it becomes a standard shooter with mild crafting and upgrades. Kinda disappointed.

16. Kirby and the Forgotten Land Switch - 3D Kirby was well worth the weight. This game was so good. The art direction, the mouthful mode, everything was so good.

17. Shadow Warrior 3 X-Box - I loved 1 and 2 and 3 was just as good. Great evolution of the boomer shooter style. I'm glad it dropped the looter elements of 2 and I hope this series continues.

18. Cotton Rock n Roll Switch - so glad to have Cotton back. I love these cute em ups. Maybe my favorite franchise in the genre. All the interesting different characters and play styles and all the Gundam references were the cherry on top.

19. Metal Gear Solid The Twin Snakes GCN - fuck the haters, this is my favorite version of MGS1.

20. Metroid Prime Remake Switch- one of my favorite games of all time and they made it even better! What else can be said. This is as close to perfect as any game has gotten.

21. Private Eye Dol PC Engine Super CD-ROM^2 - really great murder mystery PC Engine CD game. 4 crimes, three murders and an idol who has to solve them. It's really well written and engaging and how the whole story starts slowly coming together is really good.

Last edited:

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
12. Kirby's Return to Dreamland Deluxe ★★★★

aeQCted.jpg

Let us take time to acknowledge the tragedy of Era not even giving this game an OT, that's ice cold, I almost did it myself but me no graphic design gud, more like Kirby and the forgotten return to dreamland amirite?

Anyway, after binging a lot of Kirb last year, I was pretty chuffed to see this entry also get announced as a shiny enhanced remake, running through all those other Kirby games last year in this thread had me considering if this one was my fave of the lot, but I needed a refresher having not played it in years, and while I'm still not quite settling on a choice as I juggle Adventure, Epic Yarn and this one around as my potential top Kirb, I can confirm that this is the definitive version of RTD/Adventure Wii.

There's also not all that much to say about the base game here, not due to a lack of quality or anything, but the clue is in the name be it Return to Dreamland or the PAL regions Adventure Wii, this entry was a deliberate back to basics outing that ended up setting the foundation for modern games.
Triple Deluxe, Planet Robobot and Star Allies all follow its blueprint, which in itself is like a mashup of NES' Adventure with the extra mechanics/moves of Superstar.
Now it gets to be in HD, waggle is optional, I can actually use the analog stick (sideways wii remote urrrgh) and there's even a few new powers, it's almost the ideal picture of a remake, actually I'm not sure why I say almost, it basically IS the ideal for as game that's aged just fine at any rate.

What was interesting to me was that despite being burnt out on the formula with star allies and its aggressive averageness, going back to this game is still a blast for me, it's hard to truly nail down what this one does that makes me much prefer it to the three direct sequels. I guess it's very to the point, has a slightly longer and more fulfilling main quest, doesn't tend to faff with spectacle gimmick bits as much and just focuses more on the core gameplay (I imagine there's a lot of fans of Triple Deluxe's hypernova set pieces, but as I said in last years thread, that stuff just drags for me, this games super abilities just barely sneak under being too much).
Between this and arguably the best implementation of the series collectables that make you mix up your copy abilities without any of that DL3/64 clairvoyance fuckery, those delightful and shockingly tough to gold (or even platinum!) challenge rooms that might actually be peak Kirby as an action platformer, this is just IT.
I also have a tremendous soft spot for the recurring another dimension void sequences, after going on a super ability power trip you can enter these optional areas that make you use base Kirby like it's Dreamland GB and outrun numerous wall crushing scenarios using just the ol' suck and blow *ahem*.
Add Extra mode that can give the game a nice lil kick of actual threat not often felt in the series (It's still breezy but you can't be as reckless) and the base outing here is just the one for me.

...oh yeah and this one adds two surprisingly meaty additions.
First is an all star lineup of Kirby series minigames, built into its own mario party minigame land lite attraction area, full of optional missions to unlock the series recurring trend of throwbacks (any day where we get to remember Nago and Coo is a good day), now in mask form.
And there's even this novelty battle royale based off the one button press timing challenge that is Samurai Kirby, the presentation makes such a simple take on the BR setup surprisingly delightful. The important thing to note about this Magalor Land mode is that they did bring back Checkerboard Chase from Kirby 64, the GOAT kirby minigame.

The more intriguing and exciting addition though is a post game epilogue letting you play as the mischievous Magalor himself, it is effectively a Kirby Superstar like mode that takes the basic formula of Kirby and twists it into a new style of play. Magalor works his way through twenty or so stages slowly building up his power levels as you go from near nothing to mage murder machine packing a ton of tricks. That alone makes for a compelling RPG lite style loop of leveling up and unlocking new moves, but to go further is the stages uses of a combo multiplier system that rewards medals from bronze to platinum ala the challenge rooms, adding another instance of higher level play to a series that often leaves things to the "true arena" boss rush for any meatier gameplay options (which is of course here as well).
It's not as visually lavish as the main game and the stages are just okay, being carried more by the concept if anything. In any case it made for a pleasing side story, If I always felt that RTD was the perfect blend of Adventure and Superstar sensibilities, this and the minigame mode basically cement that.
I think I've talked myself into saying "yeah, this is my fave Kirby game" after all.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
39. Moss Book 1 (PSVR2) - A really good puzzle platformer. Looks great in VR, short and sweet. Great puzzles, a fun little narrative, and action/combat that functions great without feeling repetitive or annoying. I'm very excited to see where things go in book II which I have to play soon.

40. Moonrider (PS5) - It feels like a mix between Strider and Mega Man (X). Looks the part with excellent sprite work, fast paced action, and some cool boss fights. The optional chips you can acquire, as well as the powers you get from beating bosses allow you to create some truly powerful builds, with you becoming insanely broken power wise, if you know what your doing. I personally liked to regen health and SP and use the dash and shield special moves for maximum ass kicking - even the final boss can be shredded with this stuff. Ended up getting all the trophies because aiming for S ranks on all levels was just that much fun. Its one of those retro inspired games that actually feels like it'd fit in the 16bit era (and would have been as good then as it is now).

Next up:

Monster Hunter Rise
RGG Ishin Kiwami! (Chapter 7)
Mass Effect 2
Kirby Return to Dreamland (approaching the end of my first playthrough)
Rez Infinite (Area 1, Area X cleared for the first time)

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

A thread for people that are trying to play 52 games in a year. Tell us how you're doing and what you are going to play next - claim a post and update us on your progress! How do I take part? Claim a 'main post' where you will list all your completions for the year. You can use fancy images...

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game 3 - Souldiers
Platform - Switch
Time: 25 hours
Rating: 2/5 (specifically for the Switch port)
Rating: 4/5 (otherwise, if it works)

Yeah, there's a reason I'm doing double scores here. As a game, this is a really well made metroidvania, one where the devs clearly had more ambitions then they probably should have, as the game is way too long and ultimately feels quite bloated (I guess they were going for that Hollow Knight epic length), but the fantastic sprite art and great level design, coupled with 3 classes to choose and a ton of weapons and sidequests to do make this, as a game, very good for it's genre. If it works on your desired system. Unfortunately, the Switch version not only runs terribly (and im not just talking about it being 30fps vs 60fps), but it has game breaking bugs and crashes, specifically late game (one of the end game dungeons was so bad I had to resort to teleporting to the main city every time I wanted to save, because it kept crashing if I saved in the end game zone I was in), so I can't in good conscience recommend this particular version to anyone, because even after a lot of patches, it's still busted. It's a huge bummer because, again, the game itself feels like a labour of love.

Main Post

Griffin

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka
MAIN POST

h4EjsAj.jpg

#4 - Hi-Fi Rush (Xbox Series) - ★★★★★

This title came out of nowhere and ended up being 100% my jam. I usually can't stand mashups of rhythm games and other genres, but the way the rhythmic action of weaving together combo attacks and dodges is perfectly timed to the beat works absolutely brilliantly. There's a bit of dodgy platforming in the early stages, but once the parry mechanic was introduced everything completely clicked. The cartoony look fits perfectly, the soundtrack is on point and the writing is hilarious and heartfelt; I wish there were more games like Hi-Fi Rush. It's an early game of the year frontrunner for sure.

#5 - Mario Kart: Super Circuit (GBA)- ★★★☆☆

While quite impressive for an early Game Boy Advance title, Super Circuit didn't hold up all that well when I revisited it on the Switch. The way the karts handle feels odd, thanks in part to a funky drifting system that I struggled to come to grips with. Perhaps it's because of the difficulty of getting three other GBA owners together with link cables, but the single player Grand Prix is surprisingly fleshed out. Getting a good rank is tough but rewarding, as collecting enough coins during races unlocks extra tracks taken from Super Mario Kart. The game already had more tracks than Mario Kart 64 and Double Dash, so doubling that amount makes this handheld Mario Kart feel far more content-rich than its console versions. The quality of the courses isn't quite up to the same standard, but there's only so much you can do with the flat track designs. The original music might hold up well, but the radical reinterpretations of tracks like Ribbon Road and Cheese Land in Mario Kart 8 are a lot more enjoyable.

#6 - Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (XB360) - ★★★★☆

The FFXIII trilogy ends on a strange note, but one that's always been a personal favourite of mine. Given just a few days to bring salvation to the virtually immortal people who have spent centuries living in a dying world, Lightning sets about doing a bunch of odd jobs for the few people who are left. The highlights are the strange side quests, with the weirdly touching stories working far better than the main storylines that involve returning characters. The constant time limit adds a sense of urgency, although there ends up being so much time that it's not a hassle at all. Though the world is small, each of the four areas feels distinct and presents a different challenge for Lightning to overcome, in whichever order you like.

The battle system is excellent, perfectly mixing the menu-based commands of classic Final Fantasy with fast-paced action where players are rewarded for switching between roles and perfectly guarding attacks. Mixing up moves is encouraged, as some experimentation is needed to figure out the best way to stagger opponents and open them up for more damage.
It's fun to collect new abilities and outfits, making the most of Lightning's wardrobe in surprisingly difficult boss fights. The conclusion to the FFXIII trilogy is still kind of a mess, but it comes together far better than FFXIII-2, with a unique tone and design sensibilities that set it apart from anything else in the series. That and charmingly crap low-poly dogs.

SK6es2e.jpg

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
84496228ics3.png

17. Mad Stalker: Full Metal Force (PS1 remake)
Outstanding - ★★★★ (4/4)

I remember beating this game accidentally before when I thought I'd just kill some time, but I hadn't made note of it in my Backloggery account, so I figured I may as well do it again. It's a cult classic beat em up game with fighting game elements, maybe one of the really this angle. Apparently it was a major influence on Guardian Heroes. It's a Japanese only release but almost all of the text is in English.

This is a single plane beat em up, more along the lines of The Ninja Warriors Again than Final Fight. The controls are a mix of a beat em up and fighting game controls, which can be a little confusing at first. You don't have a jump button, but jump with up. You have multiple attack buttons and command special moves, as well as a super move. Your super meter drains automatically when it hits full, so it's best to use it right away. You also have a dash button, including a sort of air dash. It does have a little bit of the side effect that so much of the focus being on your attack options means that the enemies you fight aren't really that memorable since you're just free to go wild on them.

For some reason, I remember thinking the game was disappointingly clunky the last time I played it. I do think that the command inputs are sometimes a little hard to perform, so maybe that's part of it. But it may simply be that I wasn't making good use of my moveset. The game is pretty loose about chaining your combos. My favourite thing is that you get a little bit of lift from your air-to-ground beam rifle attack so you can repeat it at least half a dozen times in a row before hitting the ground, including chaining it out of an rising uppercut to just put an endless hurting on the enemy.

The bosses are framed as if it's a fighting game, although your mechanics are the same, which isn't quite how fighting games play. There's also a versus mode which plays out like a standard fighting game where you can use the bosses. As such, the bosses aren't much more powerful than you are, not even the final boss. I haven't tried it myself beyond watching the CPU play a few matches, so I don't know if it would be any fun as a casual fighting game to goof around in.

Since this wasn't my first time playing in the game, I went to the difficult settings and turned it up one. It looks like it was originally on easy, but the game's not particularly hard, if just because they throw a lot of health pickups at you. There might be unlimited continues too, but I wasn't dying all the time, so I'm not sure that I would have run out.

As an aside, this version is supposedly a major revision to the point of being essentially a remake. Before that you had a lot of ports, largely to Japanese computers and all being Japan-only releases. The latest release was on the Genesis, which only officially came out in 2020 somehow. I feel that I've heard people say that the PlayStation version is worse, although I wouldn't be able to say how, except maybe because it locks the options to play as regular enemies in versus mode or the bosses in the beat em up mode behind codes for some reason; you can't unlock them even if you beat the game.

Celestial Descend

Corrupted by Vengeance
Aug 15, 2022
18. Braid | Adventure, Puzzle | PC | ★★★☆☆ | 3-15
The puzzle design is fine, but sometimes the mechanics need a bit tutorial, as much as Jonathan Blow hates it. The control of the platforming is not good and adds to the frustration. Story tries too hard to impress, but doesn't have enough substance. Art and sound are monotonous for a four hour experience, so the game is better played piecemeal. Overall I can see why Braid garnered such a fame at its time, but indie games have been making huge strides since 2008 and this game has been surpassed many times over both in terms of gameplay and narrative.

19. Milk inside a bag of milk inside a bag of milk | Adventure, Visual Novel | PC | ★★★☆☆ | 3-17
I don't know how accurate this game captures the world through the eyes of someone with severe mental illness. It's worth the ride just for the weirdness.

20. Hexcells | Puzzle | PC | ★★★★☆ | 3-18
I'm a sucker for minesweeper type games. Hexcell is Pircross with some new mechanics. Since each puzzle is handmade with fixed starting point, it can always be solved using only deduction, unlike minesweeper where luck is necessary. For me this is a very welcoming change of formula.

Original post

Last edited:

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
Main Post

aXIYDg8.png

Kirby's Dreamland (Gameboy) - March 10th
Decided to go ahead and fix up my Gameboy Macro I made a few years back and needed something quick to check everything was working. Now using a Gameboy game to test out a system that can't even play those games natively probably wasn't the smartest idea but the Macro works and I had fun so I'm happy. Not a huge amount to say about Kirby's Dreamland, it's a fun and short game that's super easy to just pick up and playthrough in 30 minutes and I had a great time with it again this time as well.

3/5

rcKQV0z.png

Megaman & Bass (Gameboy Advance) - March 14th
Well this was an surprising experience. So after playing through the Wonderswan game I realised that if I wanted to actually fully complete the handheld Megaman games I'd have to play through this one (and Powered Up as well, completely forgot that existed). Therefore after finishing up with Kirby, I for whatever reason thought it'd be a good idea to try playing through the GBA version of Megaman & Bass. And honestly, this was nowhere near as bad as the internet had led me to believe. Sure I've got a decent amount of experience from playing through the SNES version ,with it being one of my favourites in the series, but I really didn't have much trouble here at all. The screen crunch is definitely a bit of an issue at times but far from a major one and Bass' dash not being on a button took a bit to get used to but I genuinely had a great time playing through his campaign. Now that's all well and good, Bass was always the easier and better run in the game so maybe that's why I didn't have a lot of trouble but then I felt compelled to play through the game as Megaman. Now I have done this once on SNES, his run through is fine but I generally prefer Bass when I play the game. On GBA though it always sounded like it was apparently this absolutely impossible challenge. And that again really doesn't reflect my experience, aside from the end of Groundman's stage and the second boss in the second King stage (which were similarly difficult on SNES) it was just as comfortable as the Bass playthrough. Like it's probably worth reemphasising that I do have a decent amount of experience with the SNES version so maybe that helped with playing through the game on GBA, but I really don't understand the reputation this game has online. I definitely wouldn't play it on GBA over the SNES version, but on its own it really isn't a bad version of the game or even bad at all. Hell I'd never even beaten the SNES version before now without using save states and yet here I did it without issues despite being the more difficult version and on real hardware. I really don't want this to come off as some sort of "git gud I'm so good at games" kinda post, cause I'm definitely not great at games, especially Megaman. It's just that after hearing so much about how bad this game was and how it's the hardest game in the series, I ended up coming away honestly baffled by the take. I've been playing through all of the classic series for the last few months, with the handheld titles being my current focus and I'd easily say I had a much harder time with 1, 2, & 4 on NES and Wily's Revenge & III on Gameboy. Megaman & Bass isn't an easy game, far from it, but neither are most of the Megaman games. Is the GBA version fantastic? No. But it's a perfectly cromulent way to play through a seemingly tragically misunderstood game if you for whatever reason don't want to play the SNES version.

3.5/5

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
<< Previous Post | Main Post | Next Post >>

y9SvNj6.png

12. Scarlet Hollow: Episode 1 | Mar 06, 2023

After you and your mother left your town and family behind years ago, you return at the news of your aunt's passing to reforge the estranged family bonds. There, you meet your bitter cousin Tabitha and the dilapidated family estate, where you'll be staying for a week. The townsfolk are much friendlier, and you quickly befriend local cryptid chaser Stella. But after a late-night monster hunt goes horribly wrong, you realize this town has some horrible secrets tucked away.

This is a choice-based visual novel with some horror elements. Your decisions permanently effect other character's impressions of you and what you can do later in the story. The characters were pretty solid and I am more drawn to them than the plot itself. First episode is free so it's easy to recommend.

ss_b091df353fae6236f725708aa488f6e58cac87f3.1920x1080.jpg

UQgvJq4.png
13. Elsinore | Mar 14, 2023

What if tragedy could be averted? Thrust into an inexplicable time loop, Ophelia finds herself in a position to witness and manipulate key events in the story of Hamlet. Even if you aren't familiar with the original play, or know much about Shakespeare, this is a great, dramatic investigation/puzzle game. You'll sneak into places you shouldn't be and listen in on conversations you shouldn't hear; you'll use information you learned in one loop to manipulate the next. And maybe, with enough information, you can change the course of history itself...maybe. This is a tragedy, after all.

I had a hard time with the initial start of this game. You'll be replaying a lot of the same scenes and scenarios over again (though there is a fast-forward button to speed up time), and the prose is a little basic at times (kinda unexpected for a game based on Shakespeare), but there is some great character exploration here. Some characters have expanded roles beyond their original depiction in the play, and the game is much improved for it. There are multiple endings, and the ending I got was really...brutal, but satisfying.

ss_5867d4c108b2808821c51cb96b8831c4c988389c.1920x1080.jpg

VR7Heki.png

14. Prey | March 15, 2023

You're Morgan Yu, a scientist trapped aboard a crumbling space station overrun by aliens. While any regular person would be overwhelmed, you have access to special neural-mapping serums called Neuromods. With these serums, you can enhance your natural skills, and maybe even add some otherworldly skills, if you can handle the consequences...

I...loved Prey. My description really isn't doing it justice. I wish I had played it sooner. There are soooo many ways to tackle problems, so many different skill types to spec into. The Talos I is tightly designed and beautiful, it's just as much of a character in the story as the rest of the folks trapped in it. The station changes over time as you progress the story and make drastic decisions, making it feel alive. Highly recommend it from a gameplay perspective. You start out helpless and weak, and the whole thing feels like a horror game. But with enough Neuromods + your knowledge of the station, you can become an unstoppable force of nature.

3-jdHA5BQ.jpg

U9yFzHu.png
15. Milk Outside a Bag of Milk Outside a Bag of Milk | Mar 15, 2023

Sequel to Milk Inside a Bag of Milk Inside a Bag of Milk. (Yes, really.)

This girl needs help. Only you, the voice inside her head, can keep her company, help her focus, and prevent her from spiraling.

I'm not really sure what to say about this one. It's a short but effective look into the life of a mentally ill young girl. Her room is a mess, but she won't clean it because memorizing the location of every single item brings her ease. She will often repeat the same sentence many times in a row until jolted out of it. She suffers from insomnia and personifies her thoughts as little fireflies that she must catch before she can rest. And this is all without going into the visions she suffers from and her intense fear of going outside/being around other people.

I've suffered from panic attacks before and her bouts of fear and paranoia are very familiar to me. This is an uncomfortable game to begin with, and I imagine it's even worse if you've experienced or suffered from any of the same maladies as the girl. Discretion is advised, but the game is short and you can get all the endings in an hour or three.

ss_5bb246a7b769ca77a031c971505d6716bbff1db5.jpg

I haven't yet tried Coffee Talk but it is on my "to play" list. Love your game poster designs!

Thank you! I recommend playing it with a blanket, it's a perfect game for unwinding.

Last edited:

el_galvon

Jun 13, 2019
Main Post

16. OlliOlli World (PS4 - 2022) | Mar/01 - 10hrs | 8/10
Fi8uHgz.jpg

Having played the previous two games, OlliOlli World feels like the complete realization of the original idea. It brings some changes to its gameplay that make it for a better difficulty curve, while also adds new elements for those who want to go deeper into its mechanics and complete all the optional challenges. Simply finishing a level has become way easier, with the addition of checkpoints, alternative paths, and more fair timing for grinds and manuals, in addition to landing with the skateboard being much less punishing compared to OlliOlli 2.

17. Batman: Return to Arkham - Arkham Asylum (PS4 - 2016) | Mar/13 - 30hrs | 8/10
AylZZ43.png

It's funny to play Arkham Asylum for the first time, knowing how influential it is. Even if it sometimes makes me think "this works better in game x that came out years later", I'm still surprised by the quality and high level of detail presented here.

Specially, the title's own Arkham Asylum. Exploring its different sectors that change according to the story, finding new areas and secrets while new skills are made available, is by far the best thing about the game for me. This "metroidvania" aspect works very well and it's a shame that it's precisely the least copied part by other games.

The "freeflow" combat is showing some age, but it's still competent.
I had some problems with the camera though, specially after game introduces enemies with firearms. Despite not having as much variety in combat, each different action that the Dark Knight can perform has a lot of importance, especially on the highest difficulty, which can be quite brutal. The stealth sections are quite fun, a good number of different possibilities to approach each enemy and their reactions, as Batman eliminates one by one, works very well for the immersion.

Perhaps what truly show the game's age (besides the "early years of Unreal Engine 3" look) is its story and characters. There is a lot of effort to show that the residents of Arkham are, in fact, insane. But some dialogue (especially from the collectable audiologs) seems to go to far on the "edgy" side. But Arkham Asylum's weakest point is its boss battles, most of which are pretty underwhelming. There are some memorable moments with characters like Scarecrow and Killer Croc, but then the last battle happens and is too disappointing.

Still, a great game and easily recommendable, really nice to appreciate such a good adaptation and so much affection to this franchise.

18. Hi-Fi Rush (PC - 2023) | Mar/16 - 12hrs | 7.5/10
j8a2tBB.jpg

The shadowdrop of Hi-Fi Rush was a great gaming moment for this year, even more so considering that Tango had already delivered Ghostwire: Tokyo last year, it was to be expected that their next project would take a while longer. They were very able to launch a game made by a smaller team, but still very polished, and in an aesthetic different from what the studio was known for. This story alone makes me very happy that Hi-Fi Rush exists, even if in the end I consider it "just" a good game.

There's a lot to praise about Hi-Fi Rush. Its beautiful cartoon like cel-shading visuals are somewhat nostalgic, but not as much as its licensed soundtrack, with excellent choices from the 90s and 2000s. Its character action combat, combined with rhythm mechanics, works better than I expected. It's very satisfying when you manage to combine all possible moves while keeping the rhythm in combat. And that's amplified in the boss battles, which are charismatic, well-developed, and easily the game's high points.

However, some aspects prevent me from enjoying the game more, and I feel that the overall package it is somewhat inconsistent. Despite liking most of the characters, the protagonist Chai is unbearable for at least 80% of the story. There are several rhythm minigames throughout the game, which change style according to each context, and one in particular, where the buttons appear scattered across the screen while the action takes place in the background, is pretty weird. Each level is normally split between combat arenas and platforming sections, and the latter part doesn't quite work as well as the former. The stages are also very linear, and they rarely manage to explore the skills acquired during the game in a interesting way. Some stages are also way to long, and the game drags a bit halfway through.

And while I think the combat works well overall, there's one aspect of it that I don't like. Eventually during the game it is possible to summon some characters that will perform a function with a specific purpose, such as destroying an enemy's shield. The problem is that this ability has cooldown, a strange decision for a game with such fast combat. There are situations where there isn't much to do but dodge enemy attacks while waiting for a bar to fill up before being able to summon a specific character. I also find it strange to have to select which character to summon using the trigger, maybe I would prefer a different input for each one, so I can focus only on the combat in the center of the screen.

Anyway... a little out of tune here and there, but I'm satisfied with Hi-Fi Rush. Mainly because its final stages are nothing short of excellent, it ends on a high note and still has a lot of content to explore in the post game. I imagine that, with such positive reception, a sequel is quite plausible, and I feel that this "encore" has a lot of potential.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
41. Typoon/A-Jax (PS4) - Old school Konami shoot em up, and one that doesnt pull its punches. I started off playing the arcade archives version but found that the Konami arcade collection had a very similar port, so moved over to that since it had save states. I usually dont use save states, but I really needed it for this game. Stages 1-5 are all fine, but its stages 6 and 7 which really test my skill (and patience) and since you dont respawn after death, rather get sent back to the last check point, you'll probably be stuck for a while! Stage 6 has a couple of tough sections - the first being the choke point halfway through the level - where you have a bunch of enemies spawn left to right, which can be lethal, plus then a bunch of canons shooting blue lasers at you... took me a while to master this bit, but Ive got it down now. The boss is the other part, where its just so much shit on screen, but its actually not quite as fast as it appears initially, honestly if the game gave you any sort of power up (oh yeah, they are sooooooo rare) on respawn, it'd be more managable.
Stage 7 though, that's just a bastard from second 1... I just had to use save states and piece meal the stage, it got easier as I got further in, the boss probably being easier compared to the stage.
And then stage 8... is a pushover. Nice to end things on a high.
Overall, its a good game but just one that's a bit too punishing after a while, its still fun for those first initial ~6ish stages, but I'll never manage stage 7 legit I guess, not without lots of training.

Next up:

Neo Turf Masters (this is so damn good)
Monster Hunter Rise
RGG Ishin Kiwami! (Chapter 7)
Mass Effect 2
Kirby Return to Dreamland (approaching the end of my first playthrough)

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

A thread for people that are trying to play 52 games in a year. Tell us how you're doing and what you are going to play next - claim a post and update us on your progress! How do I take part? Claim a 'main post' where you will list all your completions for the year. You can use fancy images...

Mrmario315

May 15, 2018
Main Post
https://www.resetera.com/threads/52-games-1-year-2023.670885/post-99022786

10 games down 42 to go! Been a very solid start to the year with the current highlights being Metroid Prime Remastered and Half Life Alyx, both genre defining games that I'm positive will stand the test of time (again in Primes case)

Time to focus up on Octopath II now and get some 3DS eShop games on the go to ride out the upcoming eShop shutdown :(

Impressions

#10 Metroid Prime Remastered (Switch) - March 16th • 14 Hours
✓ • Perfect gameplay transition from 2D to 3D
✓ • World design still feels fresh 20 years later
★★★★★

#9 Card Captor Sakura: Itsumo Sakura-chan to Issho! (GB) - March 11th • 7 Hours
✓ • Real time gameplay was interesting
✓ • Fantastic pixel art
★★★☆☆

#8 Rhythm Tengoku (GBA) - March 11th • 7 Hours
✓ • Great selection of songs and voiced remixes!
✗ • Few of the song timings felt a little bit off with me.
★★★☆☆

#7 Yurukill: The Calumniation Games (Switch) - March 5th • 14 Hours
✓ • Some nice twists on the escape room / Visual Novel formula.
✗ • Puzzles didnt go into as much depth as Danganronpa or Zero Escape.
★★★☆☆

#6 Fire Emblem Engage (Switch) - March 3rd • 70 Hours
✓ • Celebration of Fire Emblem, great interactions and combat.
✗ • Story didn't hit the highs of Three Houses or past FE games.
★★★☆☆

#5 Destiny 2 Lightfall (PC) - March 1st • 10 Hours
✓ • New character customizations and reworked UI.
✗ • Rushed & confusing campaign with little payoff.
★★★☆☆

#4 Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (PS5) - Jan 22nd • 16 Hours
✓ • Blazing combat & loved the roulette system.
✗ • Needed more enemy & location verity.
★★★☆☆

#3 Half-Life: Alyx (PC) - Jan 20th • 15 hours
✓ • Continues Half Life's mastery of physics & world interaction.
✓ • VR enhances the experience in every way possible.
★★★★★

#2 Pokemon Scarlet (Switch) - Jan 8th • 37 hours
✓ • Great new Pokémon designs and cast of characters.
✗ • Performance issues in later areas.
★★★☆☆

#1 God of War Ragnarök (PS5) - Jan 1st • 30 hours
✗ • Characters constantly speak their mind ruining story and world exploration.
✗ • Disappointing conclusion with a lot still unanswered.
★★☆☆☆

Main Post
https://www.resetera.com/threads/52-games-1-year-2023.670885/post-99022786

Last edited:

Shadowninja100

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Been meaning to join but I've been too busy to make a post. Got a few lined up for the year. Will update later

1. Melatonin

header.jpg

2. Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order

capsule_616x353.jpg

3. Dead Space

Dead_Space_2022_Teaser_Art.jpg

4. Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory

EGS_KINGDOMHEARTSMelodyofMemory_SQUAREENIX_S1-2560x1440-985e2caa6040ed8a47b55a953d500b32.jpg

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
21: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward. End: 3/13/2023.

A game like this was not intended to be marathoned. Playing through it in such a manner leads to seeing the same story beats over and over again. Does that mean I have a negative opinion of this game? I actually do not. It has some truly bizarre twists that keeps things the audience guessing the entire way through.

22: The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap. End: 3/14/2023.

A quick and fun trip through Hyrule in one of the shorter, and easier, Zelda games. It's a well-constructed game that uses its premise very well. Although the kinstone sidequest can feel a little dull.

Still a worthy entry in the Zelda franchise, and an entertaining game in its own right.

Sillen2000

Oct 1, 2019
Main Post

February update: 10/52

Rhythm game month!!!

2hlNc2y.jpg

6. February 8th | Hi-Fi Rush | PC | 11h | ☆☆½(/5)
You know, Hi-Fi Rush really is a very easy game to root for. It came out of nowhere, is a (probably) fairly low budget game from a big studio going out of their comfort zone and going for the very unexpected "6th generation action game, but with the smoothness of modern controls". It also looks fantastic, like it was created in an alternate universe where Jet Set Radio was a huge hit and set the precedent for what future AAA should strive to look like, and it also has a really nice sense of humor and great character writing to boot. Conversations around video game pricing are the least interesting thing in the entire world, but I guess it doesn't hurt that it's also decently cheap while providing what feels like a complete package right out of the gate.

Now, I really did enjoy Hi-Fi Rush. It really has well written characters, is oftne very funny, looks fantastic and has some of the best animation work in the biz. On top of that, the combination of character action and rhythm game that really should not work as well as it does, is a surprising delight. I mean, it's not the best example of character action or of a rhythm game, but it does both well enough and shakes things up with different environmental hazards, enemies with different types of shields that require you to call in different partners on the fly (which felt surprisingly intuitive and not clunky at all!), weapons and parry mini-games that it never stops feeling fresh or boring in the least. It's also just super good at giving the player clear feedback when hitting on the beat, making each of those critical hits feel super satisfying. The boss fights are also extremely good, being challenging but fair and all very distinct from each other, though I wish I could just do refights without having to play the levels that come before them in some cases where the boss isn't their own stage.

The thing is, while Hi-Fi Rush really excels in combat scenarios and how good those feel to play, a lot of the game is pretty terrible feeling platforming. Chai (the main protagonist) is a very mobile guy, but his jumping just doesn't feel good and the only way to move around quickly is to constantly dash when I'd rather just be running normally and not have to tap dash three times in a row and then restart the cycle over and over again. I'll say that I do enjoy that there are some secrets hidden within the stages, though, but good platforming or not, the level designs also just aren't very intersting. They lack environmental variety as a whole, have pretty lackluster level geometry and often just feel like they go on for way too long (never forget having to climb two awful towers in the same stage), which really dampened my enjoyment of the game as a whole, since I knew after every combat encounter, I'd have to do some lackluster platforming across a pretty uninspired level, sometimes calling in my partners for very easy, short timing based mini-games that, outside of the Peppermint ones, just feel like a complete waste of time.

But it looks so good! The soundtrack is perfectly suited for hitting things on the beat (and also for listening to), and some of the needle drops are just *incredible*! The characters are great except for Chai who's honestly just kind of an annoying idiot for most of the game! The plot's decently fun! The combat is very good! Fantastic boss fights! I swear I had a good time with the game! I don't really get the masterpiece claims thrown at it by so many people, but it is a fun start to this year of video games. Hopeful a sequel (which has to happen given its success, right?) can iron out some of the issues, but I'll most likely play it anyway for that sweet, sweet rhythm action.

Soundtrack highlight:
Wolfgang's 5th Symphony / The Fizzith

nCi1dbv.jpg

7. February 10th | GOODBYE WORLD | Switch | 1h 25m | ☆☆½
Now here's a game I really wanted to love. Even bought it on release late last year, but like a lot of games just didn't play it then for whatever reason. It's just been sitting there in my Switch library, waiting to be played for a few months. Now that I finally have played it... man, what a disappointment.

GOODBYE WORLD, for those who don't know, is a very story focused game with a few platforming segments (which are supposed to be the game the protagonists are developing throughout the story) thrown in between the cutscenes, and it is not a game without any merits. The picture I'm using here is for some reason extremely compressed, but when actually playing, the pixel art with the soft filter over it is very pleasing to the eye, and the animations do give the few characters involved in the story some distinct quirks. If you've ever had any interest in creating anything, or honestly just an interest in the arts in general, the overall plot about how long one can chase after their dreams before giving up, and what really drives one to want to create something do hit home at times, as does some of the dialogue which can hit uncomfortably close to home.

What's so frustrating is that these good parts are really good, but the writing as a whole really lets the game down. The fact that it's just under an hour and a half shouldn't be an issue since it's basically just telling a story with almost no actual gameplay and ~90 minutes for that, but it wastes so much of that time for some bizarre reason doing flashbacks to things I've just seen in the game and really don't need to be reminded of, and while some of the dialogue absolutely does hit, but it felt like the writer had basically one idea about anxiety and being an indie game developer, but couldn't really find a way to make a whole game out of it so a lot of the scenes feel like repeats of ones I've watched, just with a few words replaced but with the same meaning behind it all. It's not terrible, but feels like the topic could have been explored a bit more.

What is terrible, though, is the game's ending. I truly do not know what went through the writer's (and I think this game was developed by one person, so also the developer) head when thinking it up. First of all, it ends on a terrible fake-out ending that would be way too drastic to work at all within this story, but then it pivots after the credits where it's revealed to be a joke, and I just... I get so tired, because I no longer know what's sincere in this story and what isn't. Like, there's no noticeable distinction between the ending and the rest of the game, so is it all not meant to be taken seriously? Is it just a parody of what the developer percieves as "deep" indie games of recent years that tackle similar issues around mental health and the human condition? I honestly don't know, but as it is in this very cryptic nature in which it is presented, it leaves a very bad aftertaste and really lowers my appreciation of what was otherwise a game with good intentions, but that maybe could have felt more like it wasn't a first draft. Too bad, but it is what it is.

The little 8-bit puzzle game was pretty fun though, and surprisingly difficult. Probably could have played a separate game that's just those stages.

Soundtrack higlight:
Honestly can't remember whether this game even had any music or not?

4HRQbr5.jpg

8. February 15th | Fire Emblem Engage | Switch | 47h 10m | ☆½
Another one where I had high expectations, and where they sort of weren't lived up to. Should probably put the disclaimer here that Three Houses is possibly my favorite Switch game and that's almost entirely thanks to its story and characters, so seeing as this was the follow-up to that one, I can't help but feel a bit disappointed despite even knowing beforehand that Engage wouldn't be on the same level.

It's not like every single written word is terrible in Engage (its script is honestly just too big to be 100% terrible), and if you're lucky, you may get a support between two characters that is actually pretty good and not the exact same joke repeated over and over again, but the vast majority is either extremely bland or almost offensively bad. Things just sort of happen, the game expects me to care about characters that have about the same depth as party members in the Persona spin-offs, and despite the voice actors trying their best to make it sound good, the dialogue just never sounds natural and is either just exposition or a lord praising the main protagonist in some way (or the villains hating on the protagonist either from afar or after a battle where the heroes and villains just meet up to diss one another, forgetting that a huge battle just took place.) The tone is also just strangely jovial for a game where basically zombies take over kingdom after kingdom with no end in sight, with no one really seeming to take anything seriously for any long period of time which really doesn't help with me caring more about what's going on.

The villain's weird turn to the more sympathetic right before the final battle is also terribly handle– but let's talk about the positives for a minute instead! Despite IS not knowing how to write basically anything to save their lives, Fire Emblem Engage actually plays super well. It has about a million systems and some that I really never cared about, plus a terrible menu where you can see who has what item or weapon equipped just through a tiny 8-bit icon instead of just showing their name which did make me upgrade the weapon of the wrong party member at least a few times, but when everything's said and done and everyone has their correct loadout, rings and whatever, the strategy RPG gameplay is the best I can remember experiencing... basically ever, I think? It does have its issues with so many maps having basically constant enemy reinforcements, but the maps are fantastic, the engage system adds a whole new layer of strategy and also makes every character viable, and it all feels challenging after the first few chapters, but never has any kind of "fuck you, here's Rapha on the roof" moment like a Final Fantasy Tactics where the game just completely blindsides you with a fight that can end your save if you're not prepared for it. There are certainly some difficult chapters, but it all feels fair and that it's just on me to plan better.

As someone who only got into the series with Awakening, Engage is also a surprisingly good advert for the other games in the series. All of the emblem rings have protagonists from the series' past and also their own missions which recreate maps from their respective games (and rearranged music as well), and they all tell the story about that particular map before the fight, but leave on a cliffhanger basically every time which really makes me curious to see what their adventures entailed. I do think it's extremely dumb that characters can die and not just retreat in these fights since it doesn't really make sense that the emblems would kill their allies in a friendly fight, but maybe they just got way too into the battles.

Engage looks great too. It doesn't have the incredible direction of something like Xenoblade Chronicles 3's cutscenes, but as far as graphics go on the Switch, not much really beats Engage and especially not its FMV's (though maybe that's cheating.) The artstyle itself might be very hit or miss (though I'm honestly shocked so many video game boomers here have been so vocally upset over the protagonist's two-colored hair) and some faces look... upsetting, but it's a real looker graphically. Nice upgrade from Three Houses in that aspect.

The main hub sure wasn't an upgrade though. Some would say the monastery in Three Houses was too big and I can't really disagree despite also not really having any issues with it. The Somniel is certainly more dense, but it also feels more pointless. It basically exists for three or four reasons: cooking, picking up materials and having characters pair up three times per post-battle. Everything else is just a waste of time, except for maybe the arena if you're obsessed with having the most optimal of optimal characters, which I didn't since the game really doesn't require it.

All in all a good game, but also a bad one? I don't know, just playing the actually strategy RPG parts of this strategy RPG is a great time, but the writing is just... no. Also, not that it matters, but I obviously ended up with Merrin in the end. Were there even any alternatives?

Soundtrack highlight:
Bright Sandstorm

I76Nsv0.jpg

9. February 18th | Gitaroo Man Lives! | PSP | 1h 14m | ☆☆☆☆
I don't know what inspired a game like Gitaroo Man to ever exist, but man am I glad that it does. Also always happy to get a reason to pull out my PSP. It's not often these days, but I still love that little guy :').

Anyway, feels very much like Parappa the Rapper in that its extremely weird, could never have been made in any other country than Japan and probably not in any other year than 2001. Just like Parappa, we follow a boy (named U-1, of course) in love with a girl, but his social anxiety stops him from telling her so he goes through several trials in order to get the courage needed. Instead of doing real world things, though, U-1 travels into outer space with his talking dog, and with his musical weapon, the Gitaroo, he liberates an alien planet from its evil dictator Zowie. It's stranger than I make it sound and might also all take place in U-1's imagination since both planets have characters who look exactly the same and serve the same role, but at the core of it all, it really is just a simple love story and despite the plot's constant layer of weirndess over this, it's honestly very well realized. It even shows character and plot progression through the gameplay in one of the later stages in a way that is honestly one of the coolest and most unexpected experiences I've ever had with a rhythm game.

Being a rhythm game maybe the story isn't what you're mainly after when playing it, so I'm happy to say that both the songs and the gameplay are just as good. This is not a long game so it's just 10 songs to play through, but they're both of varied styles and, most of all, very, very good. Despite being someone who praises soundtracks a lot in these entries, I don't actually know music theory or anything so I can't really tell you why they're so good, though. Just that they sounded good to my ears and were very memorable, I guess :). Made me bob my head a lot, etc.

Gameplay is sort of standard rhythm game where you hit the right button at the right time, but it's also very much its own thing. Every song consists of defensive and offensive phases, where you basically tap buttons coming in from up, left, down, or right to avoid taking damage, and then where you have to follow a line with the analog stick (which admittedly does feel a bit stiff on the PSP, but it works well enough) while also pressing the right button when the line reaches there to damage the opponent. It can be a bit overwhelming on some songs, but it never became too much (I think I had one game over during the entire game, and that was on the final boss) and I enjoyed its uniqueness when compared to other rhythm games I've played, as well as switching between those two gameplay styles throughout every song. Really kept me on my toes and somehow made the experience more immersive.

Honestly one of the ugliest artstyles I've seen in a game in a long time, though. Didn't really affect my experience with Gitaroo Man at all, but it's certainly not a looker of a game.

Soundtrack highlight:
Flyin' to your Heart

V2IIvbR.jpg

10. February 26th | Theatrhythm Final Bar Line | PS4 | 50h | ☆☆☆☆½
The least story heavy rhythm game of the month, but honestly my GOTY so far. It won't last (it would be a terrible year for video games if it did), but it is in this moment of time. And honestly, it's mainly thanks to having this much Final Fantasy music in a one game, and Theatrhythm's absolutely fantastic take on rhythm games that I wasn't sure would translate well to controls after having played so much of Curtain Call on 3DS, but the developers actually managed to make the transition from touch to buttons in a very good way and I could actually play through the whole game on Ultimate difficulty and have gotten a perfect chain on most of the songs. Never touching any song on Supreme, though. That's just way too much for my poor hands.

I don't really have much to say about this one since it really is just playing songs from the Final Fantasy series and meeting the requirements for each song when doing the series quests which do make the game's RPG system actually useful since characters have different stats and abilities (though I had Cloud in my party for almost every song anyway.) I have some issues with the song selections and the fact that the game has about a million different versions of Battle on the Big Bridge, but it's otherwise just a very good time and a great celebration of my favorite franchise, both with the music and the very cute presentation and surprising amount of unique milieus per game. It is pretty much 100% fan service (not the pervy kind) so it's probably not a game for anyone not familiar with Final Fantasy, but for me, it was just a gateway into unlocking old memories of playing all these games and life during those periods. It also made me want to replay basically all of them, so I'll probably do just that later this year (at least IV onwards since I played I-III last year).

Really nice DLC so far as well, if anyone was wondering. Certainly wouldn't have complained about getting maybe one or two more songs per pack (especially from Live a Live since that soundtrack's soooo good), but what's there is honestly plenty enough.

Soundtrack highlight:
No ❤️

Currently playing:
Kirby: Planet Robobot (3DS)
Pentiment (PC)
Nier Replicant ver.1.22474487139... (PS4)

Stories Untold (PS4)

Memory Pak

Aug 29, 2018
Already running behind on write-ups, great start lol.
h8cUTwo.png

03. R-Type Final 2 - Stage Pass Volume 2 (2021 & 2022, Switch) ★★★☆☆
Despite its annoyances and glacial pacing, I can never resist the siren song of more R-Type Final 2. The 2nd Stage Pass compiles 3 DLC sets into a single package, remaking 4 previous R-Type stages, alongside 3 more experimental adaptations. Two of those are maps from R-Type Tactics/R-Type Command remade into shooter levels, no doubt to drum up interest for the upcoming remakes of those games. More notable however is the inclusion of an ImageFight stage, now retooled into horizontal orientation, which signals intent to branch out into other IREM franchises. The whole package is a little too corridor heavy, and the underwater levels never look good on Switch, but the later stages are real winners.

NtaqJaD.png

04. R-Type Final 2 - Stage Pass Volume 3 (2022, Switch) ★★★☆☆
Like the Bydo themselves, R-Type Final 2 continues to absorb other IREM franchises into its folds. ImageFight is drawn in further with a second level, and there are even more outlandish takes in this Stage Pass. Most notable are the opening stages paying back-to-back homage to the pre-Metal Slug submarine shooter In The Hunt, as well as the colourful Mr. Heli/Battle Chopper.
At this point, R-Type Final 2 contains 4½ games worth of stages, around 100 playable ships, and lots of weird stuff like a little base-building mode it likes to pretend is a "metaverse". It's never going to address my core complaints with the game's foundation (load times, punishing checkpoints, branching paths feeling perfunctory, lots of little QOL issues), choosing instead to build ever more content upon said foundation, no doubt with the soon-releasing R-Type Final 3 Evolved in mind. It's never becoming the best shmup in town, but it sure will be the one I play the longest.

SW4FYIU.png

05. In The Hunt (1993, Switch) ★★★☆☆
Got curious about this submarine-themed shooter after its inclusion in R-Type Final 2. It predates Metal Slug, but many of the hallmarks were already in place: intricate pixel art of densely packed machines, and lots of incoming shots. It's probably inspired by Hunt For Red October, and primarily impresses in the presentation department. The actual gameplay doesn't evolve much beyond just mashing fire. You'll find some power-ups, but good luck holding onto them. This must've been a merciless quarter-muncher back in the day. Luckily the Arcade Archives release adds auto-fire to save your thumbs.

Next up:

It really is. Excellent vibes thanks to that soundtrack.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
bonkadventure4afzp.jpg

18. Bonk's Adventure
Bad - ★☆☆☆ (1/4)

I had high expectations for Bonk. He's the TurboGrafx-16's mascot, I thought he'd be something special as a showcase of the console's potential. But while the game has its moments, for the most part there isn't a whole lot that impresses me.

The big thing is that Bonk doesn't feel like he controls that great. He needs to be moving a little if you want any horizontal movement on your jump. You attack with your head; if you're jumping, you're attacking up, and you can press the attack button to attack down or sideways. But they all tend to leave you very vulnerable. The dropping attack, the equivalent of the Mario stomp, leaves you unable to move for a while if you miss. One good thing I can say about him is that he can do juggle combos, although most regular enemies die in one hit so just gets in your way instead. The other good thing is that his invincibility is just his strongest powerup form, which are all on timers, so he can chain invincibility through grabbing a bunch of standard powerups in a row.

Most of the levels are pretty blase. There aren't a lot of heavy jump puzzles. Instead, the difficulty generally comes from having a ton of enemies, who tend to be fast moving and difficult to react to. Some of the things strike me as not working how I instinctively think they would, like how the waterfall areas let you stand on a few moments on the water and then plummet. Sometimes there are little design elements that are just baffling to me. Like, there's one stage called the Bone Bridge which is literally just a single bridge which falls down. If you walk on it and fall, you're at the end and the level is over. What's the point?

The bosses are kind of a mixed bag, but probably good for platformers, to be honest. Bonk's ability to combo actually comes in useful there, and some of them can be pretty fun trying to keep the combo going.

There's some charm to the game, but the graphics are completely unshaded and thus feel pretty crude in an unintentional way. But most damning is the music. Everything seems to be just a tiny loop only a few seconds long, so they all quickly become grating.

Deleted member 32615

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
7db335d0b996c9c9e498ba1d3fbe1e81.jpg

Game 15: Jumping Flash! (PS1) (2 Hours) (March 6th)
Loved this one, the vibes are off the charts and the controls are unique and feel great after a couple of levels (and those open levels are brilliantly designed around getting used to said controls). The gameplay loop is superfun, the music is brilliant and the look of the whole game is just great. There was only one level I hated but everything else was fun and worth coming back to

Vice%2BProject%2BDoom%2BReview%2BBanner.png

Game 16: Vice Project Doom (NES) (1 Hour) (March 20th)
Another super fun action game on the NES, but with way more faults despite how fun it is. One of my biggest issues from the start was visual clarity, with plenty of platforms not looking like platforms and a lot of background elements looking like ceilings you could bump your head on. Much later on the amount of enemies at screen on a time get's ridiculous, with the NES not being able to handle how many enemies the game is throwing at you. That being said, the game itself feels brilliant, jumping is satisfying, the different weapons are all equally useful and well balanced and their is a perfect amount of health/power-ups/ammo pickups that it feels genuinely jarring in comparison to other NES games. I've played plenty of NES games this year that leave you feeling like you have no defence because of the lack of ammo/health but Vice Project Doom is not one of those games and for that reason it really stands on it's own two legs.

Original Post

Whimsicalish

Dec 30, 2019
Midwest
17 | What Remains of Edith Finch
PS5 | March 07 | 2.5 h | REPLAY

I initially played this last year. I already gave my review for it, but I played the PS4 version. I played the PS5 solely for the platinum.

18 | TOEM
PS5 | March 08 | 4 h | REPLAY

Also played this last year. Still delightful after the first time. Super charming and I explored the free DLC area. Totally worth the time.

19 | WoW: Dragonflight
PC | March 09 | ??? h | 4/5

Enjoyed following the story and new zones much more than Shadowlands. With the change in renown, it's easier and more enjoyable to play for reputation gain. I no longer feel massively behind if I take a break from weekly tasks. Counting the base story as "finished" since Lobotomaxx and I defeated Raszageth in her raid. Onto the Forbidden Reach!

Main Post

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
w500a8dv7.jpg

19. Two Crude
Flawed - ★★☆☆ (2/4)

AKA Crude Buster, AKA Two Crude Dudes. If you're not familiar, this game is essentially the successor to Bad Dudes by way of being a Data East game with similar gameplay and aesthetic. I don't think any of the major names are the same aside from the composers.

This game is basically better than Bad Dudes by every practical measure. There are more actions to perform which you seem to have greater control of, there are more detailed backgrounds, there's more enemy variety and they have more prominent abilities, the bosses are more readable, there's more of a clear setting and attitude, there are more voice clips. But I think this is part of why the game may have ended up being less memorable. There's weirdness in the game, but it's largely fitting to the setting and it's clearly intentionally weird. The silliest thing in the game is the miniboss Psycho Santa who runs around and throws syringes out of his bag at you, but I'm not thinking "what the hell were they thinking when they made this" when I'm fighting Psycho Santa because when he appears he tells you that he's Psycho Santa. They want it to be a meme like all those Bad Dudes quotes are.

The basics of the gameplay are similar to Bad Dudes, where you're moving on one plane but there may be different layers to climb up on. There's no real combo system but there's also not much in the way of invincibility after getting hit. You now have an evasive roll and your attacks are you don't seem to vary between punches and kicks randomly anymore, but you don't have the spin kick. You might not have the charge punch either, I don't think I even checked. But the real big addition is that you now have a button to pick up things, and levels are chock full of stuff to pick up and hit enemies with. Steel bars and wires, cars and tanks, you can even pick up most enemies and throw them. The game still feels pretty clunky to me, but at least now it feels like there's more to it than just mashing the button and putting coins in.

The game is still set around New York, but this time a retro future where New York has been destroyed by nukes and is now controlled by a gang armed with cyborgs and mutants. Our heroes, Two Crude, are sent in to stop them. It's kind of funny to me that as opposed to the Bad Dudes, Two Crude actually seem to have some grounds to call themselves bad. The story suggests that they aren't really fighting to help anyone, they just like to fight and they're willing to work with the good guys if they're being paid. They're also really big. They tower over the regular enemies and even some bosses. It's not really good or bad, I just don't think is very common in beat em ups unless you have a selection of characters and one of them is specifically the big guy.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
3. Greedfall: Gold Edition (XSX) - very fun AA RPG. Going to replay it eventually. [8/10]
4. WWE 2K23 (XSX) - best wrassler since 2K14. [8.5/10]
5. Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty (PS5) - solid game overall but lacks depth. Gonna get the platinum and shelve it until the DLC. [8/10]

NEXT: Star Ocean: Divine Force (PS4), The Last of Us Part 1 (PS5).

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
13. Octopath Traveler II ★★★★

DCo2N4M.jpg

I wanted so much to love Octopath 1, the HD-2D style, the glorious OST, the framework of the game and a general return to a more basic style of JRPG not deep into sweeping cinematics. Alas despite my multiple attempts (two runs of the switch demo and a deeper dive into it on Gamepass) I was never able to crack the shell and hit a personal wall at every character's chapter 2.

Instead of being optimistic at the reveal last year of OT2, I was first there as I often am during Nintendo directs thinking "another Square Enix JRPG?! how much time do you think we all have?!", followed by the game just looking very much like more of the same. So I left OT2 in my head as "well, it's gonna be another banger OST at least".
Never underestimate the power of a BANGER OST though, despite the demo here leaving me a bit cold (I started with Ochette, her story is actually my least liked, oops) I was able to stumble upon a pretty nice opportunity to get the PS5 version for slightly cheaper, thus my cheap arse powers compelled me to take the plunge so I could get a front row seat to the next bout of Nishiki OST goodness, also there's a JRPG in here as well.

And I'm oh so glad I did. On paper OT2 is a very iterative sequel, safe as can be and at a quick glance looks to not have really fixed any of the numerous issues some had with the original. Dig deeper though and the more you play, the more you see just how much small tweaks are being made to just make the whole package that much more engaging, welcoming, less formulaic, more inherently enjoyable etc.
Throw in a 2X battle speed option and you've got a stew going, the new cast have more intriguing narrative beats even if they follow the same 8 classes as before, HD-2D is refined to a gorgeous sheen with some of my favourite wee little dioramas in any game and the world design/game structure leans further into its psuedo open world JRPG style where with some help from a new generous autosave/game over state allows the player to push more out of their depths and tackle the game in their own way.

To my memory, the battle system is mostly the same outside the latent powers (think FF7 limit breaks), except you know, that 2X speed does its work allowing me to appreciate the joys of its Bravely Default esque Boost/Break system without being annoyed by random encounters taking an eternity like they could in OT1, it's a very engaging battle system I find that might be among my favourites in the genre now I think about it.
Simply put, this game while perhaps too safe for some as a sequel, is pretty much the OT I always wanted, Partitio is best boy, you can have an Owl for the hunter (now you know why I started with Ochette) the tonal gulf between Agnea's light and breezy tale against Throne's wondrously edgy escapades shows the strengths of the multi character setup, look point is, this game is good.

Oh and that OST? yep banger after banger, truly feels like the modern take on a FF6 like OST, quick memorable loops but now with lavish production values, an excellent companion piece to the first game's OST which serves as the foundation for 2 to dare I say, maybe, slightly, even improve on the music?
I'm sorry for shitting on you in every direct thread Square...but also please continue to slow the eff down, this is like one of my two/three allotted JRPGs of the year

14. Dead Cells: Return to Castlevania (and all the other DLC) ★★★★

Truth be told, I never felt as enamoured with Dead Cells as most seemed to be, I liked it sure, but once I beat the final boss and rolled credits I rarely returned to it, too few biomes and bosses that made the idea of facing that one Concierge mini boss for the billionth time (even in the daily challenges!) suck the air out of the idea of replayability for me.

So I'd actually barely touched it since, giving it a curiosity update for Rise of the Giant and then shelving it as its paid DLC amassed with no real intention of ever splashing more cash.
And then those dastards got me, all they needed was to give me the first new bit of sorta official playable Castlevania content since *checks notes* Belmont in smash? I mean it's newer than the games in the two collections right? point is that CV games are very much deader than Death himself, so we vania fans live via cameos and collections now.

Heading back into Dead Cells after all this time was overwhelming, new systems, options, areas, hub stuff, weapons/blueprints oh god! that's before even reaching the additions from this latest DLC update. I'm not really gonna deep dive into specifics here, it's still Dead Cells, now with two vania biomes chock full of fanservice (the normal kind, not erotic violence pachinko kind) from the series weaponry, bestiary and some wonderfully remixed music tracks. After numerous unsuccessful runs at Drac, I realised I was back in for the long haul and found the game's blue balling of older paid DLC areas to slowly break me.
So here I am now, more biomes, more bosses, shit some of these new areas I haven't even figured out how to access yet (this game really took a turn to the dark souls wiki experience huh).
To my personal disappointment, in order to finally best Dracula I had to knock myself back down to normal mode, so even having wrapped up the Castlevania DLC and its novelty Richter mode for good measure, I'm still on one boss cell, welp.

Well motion twin should be happy, their vania DLC ploy worked to perfection and now I have a (currently) complete Dead Cells package that I'm actually gonna keep returning to, the game itself has made strides since its initial release but you do really have to pay up to get the improved experience that makes it that much more varied.
I almost want6ed to knock a star off because the Switch's performance for this game is worse now, slow loads, crashes/hitches, inconsistent framerate, but then again that's the switch in 2023 so really not all that fair to the team.

Last edited:

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
Main Post
Starting to notice a pattern of the more I like a game the less I end up actually having to say about it.

VQb99CH.png

Sonic Mania (PC) - March 21st (2 Hours)
Playing through this game is always a treat, just an absolute crystallisation of everything that makes Classic Sonic great. Even over 5 years later I'm still finding new things in this game. New routes through stages, special rings I've never found before, new ways to tackle sections I've run through dozens of times, it's infinitely replayable. Whenever I'm in mood to play some Sonic Mania I usually do it on Switch where I've long since 100%ed the game (ditto on PS4 sans Mania Plus) but this time's run was on my laptop with the PC version which I've only actually beaten a handful of times. Due to that I completely forgot about Blue Sphere being the checkpoint minigame since it gets replaced with the slot machine when you perfect every stage. Not sure if it was always just like this or if it was a glitch but one of the stages I did seemed to have too low of a blue sphere count. Other than that nothing particularly interesting happened during this playthrough, just a nice comfortable run through one of my favourite games.

5/5

a6HLxHF.png

Megaman: The Wily Wars (Sega Megadrive) - March 22nd
I could probably count this as 3 games technically but since it is made up of Megaman 1-3 but not doiing that save me time photoshopping so I'm taking the lazy route. Anyway, I've been having a pretty great time going through the handheld Megaman games this year so before moving on to Powered Up I thought it'd be worth going back to the original take at remaking some Megaman games. The collection overall is pretty great. The general graphical upgrade is pretty nice, updating the look of the games but still keeping them pretty recognisable to how they were on NES. That does come with the downside of some pretty considerable slowdown at points. Nothing gamebreaking but it happens often enough to be an issue.

Megaman 1 is generally a pretty good port generally but it's a bit of a tossup as to whether I prefer it over the NES version. Controls definitely feel tighter than on NES and you don't seem to carry that little bit of momentum when you stop moving. Music here is definitely the weakest of all of the games though. It's still good but the conversions have that characteristic twang you'll find in some Megadrive games. The slowdown here can actually be a good thing during some of the harder bosses, the Yellow Devil definitely becomes a lot more beatable because of it since you don't have the pause glitch. Overall not a perfect port but certainly a fine way to play through Megaman 1.

Megaman 2 is probably the weakest part of the Wily Wars. On the positive side of things the game looks great, it has the same control improvements as 1 and the Music is converted to the Megadrive's sound hardware far better here and sounds really good overall. On the other hand I had a couple of times where collision would get really weird, generally when walking or jumping at walls. Heatman's stage was especially bad for this and it got me killed a few times. The port is also based around the Famicom release of Megaman 2 sp you have no option to choose the Normal mode that was added to the NES version which is my preferred way to play. It's still a fine version to play but I'd rather play the NES version.

Megaman 3 is easily the high point of The Wily Wars for me. It looks great and sounds even better. The soundtrack here is absolutely phenomenal and surpasses the original NES version. The conversions of Snakeman and Sparkman's themes were real highlights. It really feels like a more polished experience overall here, with a lot of the odd quirks and issues Megaman 3 has on NES being fixed. The biggest of all fixes though is the Top Spin, it actually works here! Megaman 3 was always one of my favourites so I'm definitely happy to see it represented so well here, it's only fitting the best game gets the best remake.

The Wily Tower is also worth giving a mention. It's a nice short (but still longer than some of the handheld games) run through some new Megaman stages. Letting you mix and match between all of the weapons and items from Megaman 1-3 gives it a lot of replayability since it can change how you approach a boss or what routes you can take in any stage. Definitely a nice reward for playing through the first 3 games, if I were to rate it on it's own it'd be a solid 3/5.

As an overall collection The Wily Wars definitely isn't perfect but I had a lot of with it and found what I think is the definitive version of my second favourite Megaman game. It's certainly worth a look if only for a different take on some of the Classic Megaman games and in some respects it may be the best version of them.

4/5

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
PC Engine appreciation day for me today. Ive really been getting into more retro games this year, just feels good to finish a few games as between MH Rise and Ishin Kiwami, I aint finishing either this month lol.

42. Vigilante (PC Engine) - A fairly decent port in my opinion. Only thing that really feels downgraded is the lesser number of onscreen enemies maybe? (I cant tell for sure), but the game is fairly easy since I put a decent amount of time into the arcade version last month. The game feels close to said arcade version - it looks solid, has all the moves of the arcade version, I think almost all enemy types are included (though Im sure the 4th boss is just a reskin of boss 3 instead of a unique boss) and honestly the kinder difficulty is kinda nice as the arcade version can drive me mad sometimes! AI seems to behave in the same way as the arcade version, but the final boss is easier now. All in all, a solid port, solid fun, but still nothing amazing.

43. Operation Wolf (PC Engine) - Managed to reach the credits, though skipped one stage which led to a tougher finale (oops!). Saved 2/5 hostages in the end, which.... isnt great. Ill give it another try this week to improve of that rather sad record! The game itself is pretty decent, its fast paced and insanely addictive though the lack of the custom controller from the arcade version definitely brings things down a bit, plus it makes the game fairly tough (but still possible) with a crosshair controlled by the DPAD. No music is the only disappointing thing here, as a few nice hummable tunes would have paired nice with the wanton Rambo styled kill spree. Im not really well up on Op Wolf so have no idea how faithful of a port it is, but I can comfortably say I had fun.

44. Chase HQ (PC Engine) - Short and sweet racer that splits its stages into two parts - the first is your standard you vs the clock racer (think Outrun) but your not racing to an end point, but rather a target car, and then you ram the shit out of them until they stop. Simple concept, fun game (ah I miss 80s arcade games...)
In practice, the game plays rather well I think - it feels sorta Outrun-ish (at least, that's how IM playing it) though the main difference in this one is how if you ram cars in a certain way you'll stay on the track, which is pretty useful considering the whole second half of these stages... it leads me to race way more aggressively. Most of the time I have a blast though sometimes you get dealt a bad hand with traffic etc. and I just cant get up to speed, which makes reaching the car/stopping the car a nightmare. This is especially true for the 5th and final opponent, who is the longest battle of the lot, and is where I tend to use my limited credits. I have the arcade/Saturn ports to play next, interested to see how this one stacks up to them. I felt the game looked, ran and handled pretty well for the most part.

Next up:

Monster Hunter Rise
RGG Ishin Kiwami! (Chapter 9)
Mass Effect 2
Kirby Return to Dreamland (Post game content unlocked)

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

[/QUOTE]

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game 4 - Wo Long Fallen Dynasty
Platform - Xbox Series X
Time: 30 hours
Rating: 4/5

Was ready to score it lower but it really gre on me as I played more, and level design started getting much better in the second half. A mix of Nioh and Sekiro, that while never gets as good as the Nioh games, it does have satisfying gameplay and it scratched the "souls" itch nicely. It is very reminiscent of Nioh, it pretty much uses the same mission structure (down to side missions reusing levels with different paths) and the gameplay is similar albeit with much more focus on the Sekiro-style parry system. It doesn't overstay it's welcome (I did every side mission and it still only took me about 30 hours) and it's actually much easier than the usual Souls-like once you get the hang of the parry system and level up / upgrade your gear, so overall I had a great time. Still wish it was Nioh 3 instead tho. Amazing gamepass pickup btw.

Main Post

Memory Pak

Aug 29, 2018
All right, all caught up through early January. Gotta step up the pace a little going forward.
5IHqeoQ.png

06. Sol Cresta: Dramatic Edition (2022, Switch) ★★★★☆
One I initially skipped due to its art style looking downright hideous in videos. Bit of a mistake, it turns out, because Sol Cresta is a good-to-great vertical shoot-'em-up. Mind, it's still hardly a looker - sporting crummy Sega Saturn visuals at the best of times, and obscuring foes and incoming fire with fuzzy backgrounds at the worst of times.
What is compelling however, is how Sol Cresta layers several systems which, once grokked, overlap quite satisfyingly. It's a little daunting at first: you control three ships docked together, and can activate slow-mo to rearrange them mid-flight. Additionally, if you arrange them in certain Formations, you get special attacks (which seems not unlike the Unite Morph system of Platinum's earlier title The Wonderful 101). Separate from Formations, there's a medal-based meter which grants you attacks which require fighting game style button inputs to execute. I was not a fan of this in Cotton 2, but here the inputs are simpler, and the slow-mo makes it easier to see what you have access to.

Unlike classic shmups in which you upgrade your build incrementally, Sol Cresta sees your arsenal shift constantly, based on pick-ups and which Formations/Medal attacks you expend. I was absolutely sceptical at first, but this inclusion of Character Action-esque mechanics works much better than I thought. The game has a dynamic and ever-shifting feel to it, forcing you to adapt instead of relying on tried-and-true approaches. Stringing together a series of wild moves really does feel like it makes the most of the Cresta series' unique identity.

That said, there are downsides here which are hard to overlook beyond the aforementioned visual style. The story mode (which is sold separately or included in the Dramatic Edtion), is a perfunctory shounen anime plot with appropriate (Japanese only) voice acting. Worse yet, actually reading all the translated text is a strain, since it's displayed on the sides of a hectic action game (similarly to how Raiden V handled this). Another disappointment is the curious lack of unique bosses, especially by PlatinumGames standards. The game recycles 3 of its forgettable bosses with slight moveset variations to fill out the first 6 levels, leaving just the final stage with a memorable design and unique feel to it.

hfIurkF.png

07. Sophstar (2022, Switch) ★★★★☆
Surprisingly fully-featured vertical shooter from Brazilian studio Banana Bytes. Multiple ships with significantly different playstyles to choose from, several modes, and it has a unique teleportation gimmick to set it apart from contemporaries. The story it tries to tell is rather middling: a very generic pilot-with-mysterious-past affair, which might've been better to excise. There are a few odd issues such as button mapping not displaying correctly, but I don't know if that affects other versions than just Switch. One thing to note: don't play this if you're at all photosensitive, it has some heavy flashing.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
Okay I'm gonna retroactively try this one!

I'll add some writeups on each game on another post, but this will be my...

MAIN POST

1. Pathologic 2
2. Bayonetta 3
3. Warhammer - Chaosbane
4. Signalis
5. Shadow Warrior 2
6. Coffee talk
7. Oneechanbara Origins
8. Shadow Warrior 3
9. The Price of Flesh
10. Generic Fishing Game
11. Devil May Cry 3
12. Constrast
13. Outriders
14. Chinatown Detective Agency
15. Milk Inside a Bag of Milk Inside a Bag of Milk
16. Milk Outside a Bag of Milk Outside a Bag of Milk.
17. Iron Lung
18. Road 96: Mile 0
19. Destiny 2: Lightfall
20. Amnesia: Rebirth
21. Coffee Talk 2
22. She Vomits Guns
23. Doomsday Dreamgirl
24. Devil May Cry 4
25. Hope Left Me
26. Bloodrayne
27. Devil May Cry 5
28. Hi fi Rush
29. Doki Doki Doki Literature Club
30. Find me
31. Air Pressure
32. Boa Retina
33. The Floor is Breathing
34. Attachment not Found
35. Girlfriend Simulator
36. Please Follow
37. Diablo 4
38. Don't Die Alone
41. Stray
42. Lifeless Planet
43. VA11-Hall-A
44. StarOS
45. Water Womb World
46. Mr. Tomatos
47. Mapfriend
48. Gears Tactics
49. Metaware High Shcool
50. Antumbra
51. Genesis Noir
52. Vampire Swansong
53. The Endless Forest
54. Titan Chaser
55. Atomic Heart
56. Slayers X: Terminal Aftermath: Vengance of the Slayer
57. Online Simulator
58. Mothmen 1966
59. Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon
60. In Sound Mind
61. Sunday
62. Videoverse
63. Indigo Prophecy
64. Lifeline: Besides you in Time
65. Vampire Survivors
66. Weird West
67. A Short Hike
68. Amnesia. The Bunker
69. Close to the Sun
70. Slay the Princess
71. The Callisto Protocol
72. Save the Date
73. Maple County
74. Pictures of a Reasonably Documented year
75. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III
76. Doctor Who: The Edge of Reality
78. Dating Joyce
79. Alan Wake Remastered

Last edited:

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
1. Pathologic 2

I actually made a topic about it, I loved it. It's such a grueling, unfun game, but it's so carefully made to inspire horror and despair on the player that it's just genius. It's easily one of the best games ever made, or at least one of the most important, and their refusal to water in down with this pseudo remake it admirable. It's tough, complex, irritating at times and utterly depressing, but i'll be damned if I don't admit how inspiring and thought provoking it is.

2. Bayonetta 3

Fuck if I know what happened, but it's more Bayonetta: strap on your gun-heels and kick, trample, punch and fashion your way through some fantastic surreal levels. I love Bayonetta, she's so fun and is such an interetingly designed character, but honestly this game just isn't as good as the previous two. The constant toned down of the game also kinda bothers me, it's a simpler, less complicated game. Still, loved it, will be on the lookout for any other games from this dev.

3. Warhammer - Chaosbane

I got into Warhammer (the board game) this year (going to a tourney this weekend!)so I've been trying videogames as well. Chaosbane is rotoundly alright. Not much bad, it's just this run of the mill ARPG to kill time. Went throught he campaign, and that's about it. It looks good, plays well, it's just... not all that intriguing.

4. Signalis

Amazing little survival horror that benefits enormously from a wildly cool visual presentation and suffers horribly from inventory management woes which almost made me drop the game. It's sort of a salad that mixes Silent Hill and Resident Evil in a hazaphard way: the music and presentation hails from the former but the game plays a lot like the latter, and it's certainly the point of it existing, a love letter to the two most important series of the genre. I liked it, I have a soft spot for these weird ass indie games, but for someone not intensely interested in the genre they might not like it much.

5. Shadow Warrior 2

I played the reboot a few years ago: a fun, oddly sanitized version of a game that was already challenged due to the controversial portrayals of asian culture back in the 90s, and it tried to be as fun and quirky but trying to erase that offensive part of the game, which turned into this odd, childish humor which blew back horribly with the settings. It was fun though. I can't say the same for the sequel, a bizarre shooter looter with too many dick jokes and some of the worse designs I've seen in my life. I guess it's fun in MP, but I finished the campaign and tried very hard to forget this happened. The visual design is awful.

6. Coffee Talk

A sweet and short visual novel with some barista action somewhere in there, meeting some fantastic creature as they come there to ask for dem hot beverages and talk about their lives. I had my fun playing it, it's well written and the characters are charismatic, it also has some really chill music, I wish I had played it in the autumn though, it's perfect for that time.

7. Onechaanbara Origins

This was oddly the first game I played off Playstation Plus Extra because it's so damn expensive for what it is: a clearly budget remake of the first two games of the series. It's a fun, stupid game, starred by a barely clothed cowgirl killing millions of zombies and fighting off other silly enemies. I played it because I love these B games, the empty worlds, the post apocalyptic settings, the sillyness it all speaks to me. But I'm glad I didn't pay 40 bucks for it.

8. Shadow Warrior 3

Even more childish, bordering on unhinged. The game is spectacular enough and is now a Doom Eternal lite. There is a good game in there but it's stuck between the dick jokes and the still confusing visual design. It's pretty short at least, and honestly once you remember this game series has an identity crisis and play it as it is you will have fun, but damn these series is just mediocre.

9. The Price of Flesh

I think this is a hentai game? I'm not sure. I played one of the stories which had a bit of sexual content (and a very small explicit part of it), where a lady bought me and... I'm not sure what she wanted to do. Sexually abuse me? Torture me? Keep me around like a pet? It's weird, I got a bunch of endings that ranged from losing my mind and becoming a barely sentient slave to her to killing her husband and escaping with her in some odd Stockholm Syndrome variation, with a lot of being shot in the leg in the middle. I later tried to play another story but I ended up giving a guy a forced blowjob and by that point I lost my patience because I felt like I was playing someone's sexual fantasy. People really seem to like it and to its credit it's a competent visual novel and the creator very clearly states the game's content, but I'm not sure what's it trying to do.

10. Generic Fish Game

This is a fun, simple HOLY SHIT WHAT THE HELL fishing game. It has a fun twist.

11. Devil May Cry 3

I really dislike Dante. I like other characters and I'm totally gonna finish the series but I'm not sure I'm young enough to appreciate Dante.

People say this is the best DMC, and this might be heresy but I found this just as lacking as the first two. These are fun, but there is little there nowadays to play them for the first time. It's just so edgy, silly and dumb.

12. Contrast

Simple puzzle game with a cool twist. I enjoyed it, played it because it was one of the Gamepass quests this month, and ended up finishing it. I like the whole idea of the shadow mechanics, and the game has a good pace and flow from one place to another with an interesting plot to carry it. Recommended, though I faintly remember it being very well received when it was released, it might not be as obscure as I thought.

13. Outriders

One of those games my friends are playing purely because it isn't Destiny 2 and they are so mad at that game nowadays. I joined, finished the stupid, really stupid campaign with all those irritating angry people yelling at me and refusing to speak clearly, and found out the game is just worth it if you buy the expansion, which I'm not going to do so for 40 bucks. It's such a mediocre game, it's fun because dumb shooting games have to really suck to not be, but it's just this odd non-intriguing The Division game with the speed of Gears of War but without the weight it has. Much like Anthem, I'm not sure why would anyone be ever excited for this.

Main post

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
14. Chinatown Detective Agency
Tough but entertaining puzzle game which actually makes you go into google to find out how Summerians used numbers. I loved it, great soundtrack. I had my issues with the voice acting, but it wasn't about quality but directing. Still, great effort, unfortunately is leaving gamepass in a couple of days, but man was it worth it speed running through it.

Main post

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
Main Post
One last game for March and a few updates on some of the ones I've beaten.

Et0iPi0.png

Kirby Super Star (SNES) - March 28th
So like Megaman I've been (at a faaaar slower pace) trying to play through most of the Kirby series and this one was the next up on my list (ignoring the replay of Dreamland). Super Star's a game I've had on virtual console for years but I never really put much time into it, I'd usually do a playthrough of Spring Breeze or Dynablade but the mini-game structure made it kinda hard for me to get invested in playing much further. I finally got myself to properly put time into it though and it was pretty great. I won't go into detail on every mode since I don't have a lot to say for the first few I played. I wasn't super into the game at first but once I got to The Great Cave Offensive I just couldn't pull myself away. I didn't end up collecting every item but having this large non-linear level to explore was really fun. Meta Knight's Revenge and Milky Way Wishes were the highlights of my playthrough. It was really cool to see call backs to the previous modes and MWW on it's own is honestly just as good as any of the previous Kirby games. Having a kind of Megaman-esque structure and being able to switch copy abilities on the fly gives it a very different playstyle from other Kirby games and it was a lot of fun if a little easy since you can infinitely spawn helpers. The expanded attack set for each of the copy abilities is pretty great too, it really gives them all a lot more utility. I'd honestly say that this is probably one of my favourite Kirby games now and I'm definitely looking forward to giving Superstar Ultra a go at some point and seeing how it improves on this.

4/5

7 Days To End With You (PC) - March 28th

Not really an update on playing game itself but this game ended up being really relevant for a Sociology of Media assignment I was doing. Wasn't expecting that for any of the games I was playing for this challenge to be something I'd use outside of it so that was pretty neat.

Sonic Frontiers: Sights, Sounds & Speed Update (Nintendo Switch) - March 29th
This was a pretty good update to a game I already liked a lot. Don't really care too much for the photo mode but everything else is pretty good. Had a decent bit of fun doing the Cyberspace Challenge and Battle Rush. I really appreciate having some way to replay the titan fights though it'd be nice to just have an option to only do those fights. The marathon run through the Cyberspace stages was pretty fun though aside from 1-2 it isn't exactly difficult to S rank, especially when it's so easy to rack up a multi-minute lead on the overall time, especially when doing the the all island version. The reward is pretty nice but it's weird that you can't use it in arcade mode. The juke box is my favourite addition of the lot though. Being able to run around to songs like Live & Learn or Sonic Heroes is great and having to find most of them in the open zone finally gives Island 4 a reason to be explored. All the QoL stuff is great too though it would have been nice to have them at launch, at least it gave me a reason to finally max out Sonic's stats. Overall a pretty good update and I'm looking forward to to next one.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
BOerd0f.jpg

#6 Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith - 4 hours - PS2 - 5.5
Basically the Lord of The Rings PS2 game with a Star Wars skin, but it doesn't play nearly as well. There's a lot of combos and stuff you can do but it feels very clunky and unresponsive. Definitley gets more fun in the second half when you're upgraded a bit but still pretty average

#7 Hi-Fi RUSH - Xbox - 23 hours - 9.0
What a great surprise out of nowhere this was, I like rhythm games and love character action so it's already a great fit for me and they nailed the execution.
The gameplay is really smooth and responsive, the cutscenes are fun and look great and it's one of those games that gets better as it goes on.
The last stretch of levels and boss fights are so good.

#8 Avatar: The Last Airbender - PS2 - 6 hours - 5.0
I'm watching the show for the first time so I did the completely unneccesary thing of playing the tie-in game that is probably not canon.
Basic action game with some light rpg mechanics, at first I thought it was alright, but there's so much running around huge maps fighting endless enemies it does become a bit of a slog. I don't know why I finished it tbh

#9 Undertale - Xbox - 4 hours - 7.5

Undertale is a neat game that is well written and has great music, I wouldn't say I loved it but I get why some people do. It was leaving game pass so I didn't have time to do the other playthroughs but I looked them up, maybe I didn't get the full undertale experience this way, but I'm ok with that

#10 Cyberpunk 2077 - Xbox - 45 hours - 8.5
I really loved being in Night City, it's a pretty incredible world that they crafted. The gameplay is good too, though I felt it could have been even better if it went a little more in on the "deus-exness" when it comes to mission design. I was surprised at how short the story is, there is a lot of side content which is where a lot of the good stuff is anyway. Some really good characters and voice acting.

#11 Shadow Warrior 3 - Xbox - 4:30 hours - 6.5

Pretty hectic and challenging, but in a fun way. Very short, bit of a knock-off doom eternal, but that's okay. Doesn't really make a good first impression but gets better and I was ok with the short run time. Fine for a little Game Pass game.

#12 Resident Evil 4 (2005) (Replay) - PC - 11 hours - 9.5
It's amazing how nearly every encounter in RE4 is memorable in some way and also just a blast to play. The devs really did nail the assignment (ada). Played with the HD texture pack which just looks incredible.

#13 Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty - Xbox - 24 hours - 7.0

This was okay, but a bit mid compared to Team Ninja's other efforts. Difficulty is a bit all over the place, and the combat a little simple, there's pretty much one tactic in the parry so you do that the whole game. Decent enough time, just could be better.

#14 Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter - Xbox - 5 hours - 7.5
A little rough around the edges but I liked the tactical, slower paced gameplay. The squad commands are super simple, like move or shoot are the options, which feels like the system was simplfied for consoles maybe.

#15 Goldeneye 007 (Replay) - Xbox - 5 hours - 7.0
Holds up as a fun enough time but a little unremarkable nowawdays. The second half of the game is a bit of a dip in quality. I think Perfect Dark was a pretty big improvement

el_galvon

Jun 13, 2019
Main Post

19. The King of Fighters XV (PC - 2022) | Mar/18 - 18hrs | 7.5/10
DsEcACi.jpg

It's been a while since I've truly played a KOF game (probably KOF XI). Overall KOF XV is a very technical fighting game, with a vast and varied cast, an awesome soundtrack and a ridiculously hard final boss, so I think it's a good entry for the series.
The visual has its ups and downs, some characters and settings are better than others. My biggest gripe though, is that I wanted the story mode to be better explored, it's very focused on the newer characters, that I'm not a big fan of.

20. Resident Evil 4 (PC - 2014) | Mar/21 - 15hrs | 9.5/10
AVBlFW0.png

After beating it on PS2, Wii, PS3 and Xbox One, I finally played this "Ultimate HD Edition" (a title that only makes sense when you use the HD Mod) and hey, this game is still really, really good. Yes, the instant death QTE's are a product of their time, and the island part stretches out a bit longer than necessary, but I'm always amazed at how many ideas have been packed into Leon and Ashley's journey.
Btw, the HD Project mod is excellent, it put many remasters out there to shame. It's great to have this "definitive" version of the original Resident Evil 4, one of the greatest games of all time, so accessible. Now I'm ready to play the Remake.

21. Mega Man Legends (PS1 / PS Vita - 1997) | Mar/29 - 9hrs | 8.5/10
EnuG90p.png

Quite surprised by how much I liked Mega Man Legends, and also by the fact that this game was released in 1997, post Super Mario 64 but before games like Ocarina of Time and Metal Gear Solid, at a time when devs were still discovering the best way to control a character in a fully 3D environment. And if, obviously, Mega Man Legends' gameplay shows its age, I find it impressive how well it succeeds in its own ambitions.
From its colorful visuals, fun music, loveable goofy characters and great boss battles, there's much to enjoy here. And since I've played it on a PS Vita, I was able to "emulate" its gameplay using the two analog sticks. It's not something that works perfectly well, but I managed to adapt quickly and there's that feeling that there's just some details for the gameplay to be really good, even if it being very functional.
A true gem from the PS1 library. Despite the rough dub (which sometimes helps with the humor) and some annoying limitations (like the fact that you can only change you special weapon outside of dungeons), Mega Man Legends is a game with a lot of personality. And that's something I hope to find in its two sequels, which I'll definitely play.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
6. The Last of Us Part 1 (PS5) - excellent story. Going for the platinum. [9.5/10]

Next: Resident Evil 4 (XSX)

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
10014201rrie2.jpg

20. Tatakai no Banka (Via Capcom Arcade Stadium)
Bad - ★☆☆☆ (1/4)

This is the Japanese version of the game known as Trojan. Since I already played Hissatsu Buraiken and this seems like its spiritual brethren, I figured that I might as well play this one too. It also stars a protagonist named Ryu and is a beat em up by Takashi Nishiyama, although this time it's in more squarely in the vein of Kung Fu rather than being top down.

Mechanically, this is pretty squarely an expansion on Kung Fu. When you aren't disarmed, your punch is replaced by a sword and your kick is replaced by a shield which can block in all directions. An infinite amount of enemies are flooding in and you've got to go forward. Sometimes bosses are thrown at you. Your jumping slash and crouching slash tend to be some of your better moves as you might expect. There are also some jump pads at various points.

I would generally say that the game's better than Hissatsu Buraiken, but not by all that much. Mostly I think the mechanics go to waste. From the jump the game is too fast to reasonable respond to much, and blocking a melee attack doesn't do anything except defend against that one attack so it doesn't help you advance either. Enemies tend to spawn as soon as you've killed one, so fighting them doesn't make it any easier to advance. I've found that just spamming slashes at bosses seems to be the most effective way to fight them, but that's only because it's a totally crapshoot if the boss will do more damage than you.

Ultimately I think the game's in a bad place where it's too demanding to just have fun mashing buttons through but also frustrates your effort too much for it to be fun to learn.

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
I'm not going to be beating anything else before the end of the month, so here's March - getting close to, but not quite reaching halfway!

Main post here

d2a4ba3334d467c935b45d2b4ef44adc470e753b.png

17. Metroid Prime Remastered (Switch) | 8 March 2023 | 9/10
Completed on normal difficulty with 100% of scans, 100% of items collected. A thoroughly excellent remaster of a well-deserved 'classic', Metroid Prime Remastered succeeds in making the game feel solidly up-to-date, with detailed, attractive visuals and particularly the implementation of dual analogue controls, which work perfectly. A few niggles remain in the game design, with limited save points leading to occasional frustrating sequences (though the sense of tension that comes with this is undeniable) and a late-game artifact hunt dropping the pace. However, these can't detract much from an overall excellent, highly-polished package, which effectively transitions the engaging Metroid gameplay formula to 3D. Also notable is the well-developed lore that permeates the game, with the 'scan visor' used heavily in both puzzle-solving and analysis of environmental features and creatures, alongside retrieval of log entries that flesh out the world and its history.

header.jpg

18. Sonic the Hedgehog (Mega Drive) | 9 March 2023 | 6/10
Completed with all six chaos emeralds, played via Sega Mega Drive Classics. What stands out about the first Sonic the Hedgehog is the speed of gameplay (inevitably!) and the sheer size and complexity of its levels. With a good number of different paths through each 'act', and hidden secrets, there's a rewarding sense of exploration, albeit this is somewhat fleeting with little meaningful reward. While technically impressive, on balance the speed can be a bit of a detriment to enjoyment, as it's easy to make mistakes, especially with quite twitchy controls - and these are soundly punished. Still, I'm glad finally to have made time for a complete playthrough, especially with emulation functionality to mitigate the moments of frustration when they do happen.

header.jpg

19. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Mega Drive) | 10 March 2023 | 7/10
Completed with all seven chaos emeralds, played via Sega Mega Drive Classics. A decent development from the first game, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 has some excellent level design early on, well suited to the fast speed on which its concept is predicated, making good use of the expansive size of each level. However, that unfortunately tails off somewhat as the game progresses, particularly with the over-use of instant-death pits, so again I'd definitely recommend emulation with save states and/or rewind as the optimal way to experience this retro mainstay.

16d3e637fd33fce8c27304141553857110664dbd.jpg

20. Halo 3 (Xbox Series X) | 13 March 2023 | 7/10
Campaign completed on normal difficulty. Deservedly a classic, Halo 3 impresses with an expansive single-player campaign in an iconic setting. However, played from a modern perspective and without much of a sense of nostalgia, it didn't hold up quite as well as I'd hoped, clearly showing its age in some quite 'janky' gameplay mechanics, particularly when it comes to vehicle-based outdoor sequences. Regardless, it's still an enjoyable experience all told, with solid gunplay across a good range of sci-fi weaponry and some memorable 'setpiece' sequences.

f7ceba52784c2df82694a4f6cac2f9d64d74221c.png

21. Halo 3: ODST (Xbox Series X) | 17 March 2023 | 7/10
Campaign completed on normal difficulty. I was surprised quite how different an experience Halo 3: ODST was from the game that spawned it, taking us away from Master Chief and placing the player in the role on an eponymous special forces Orbital Drop Shock Trooper. Without the benefit of regenerating shields, there's a much greater sense of vulnerability and while there's certainly the opportunity to project your own power through the same varied array of weaponry, at times a more stealthy approach is beneficial. An enjoyable story builds on the camaraderie between the a small squad and adds meaningfully to the overall lore of the *Halo* universe.

f5170848ad5737cd291635d212a7694bad754aeb.png

22. Ristar (Mega Drive) | 19 March 2023 | 7/10
Complete playthrough on hard difficulty, including all bonus stages completed. While I wouldn't say that I *loved* Ristar, it's undeniably impressive in a number of ways. A lesser-known 2D mascot platformer, it has some quite unusual mechanics, with the protagonist, an anthropomorphised star, using his extensible arms to help with navigating stages and basic combat through a grab move. Bright, vibrantly-coloured graphics across a range of creatively-designed environments are consistently attractive, and the levels themselves are each quite expansive in both dimensions. Sadly, some frustrations in controls hold the game back from true greatness, particularly so in the later stages and bosses - but at least with the benefits of emulation, those can be someone alleviated.

Halo-Reach.jpg

23. Halo: Reach (Xbox Series X) | 22 March 2023 | 9/10
Campaign completed on normal difficulty. I can't say that I have much investment in Halo lore, but was pleasantly surprised to find that the epic story of the fall of planet Reach to be thoroughly engrossing, following a small squad of Spartan supersoldiers in a desperate defence against impossible odds. Technically, Halo Reach holds up impressively well in a modern context, definitely a step up from Halo 3 and ODST, while the combat encounters themselves are consistently well-designed, encouraging a tactical approach, with plenty of variety.

Halo-4.jpg

24. Halo 4 (Xbox Series X) | 28 March 2023 | 8/10
Campaign completed on normal difficulty. A solid entry in the Halo series that I enjoyed despite seemingly a relatively poor reputation, Halo 4 certainly feels the most modern of the games in The Master Chief Collection, nicely polished throughout and with very lengthy missions (for better or worse, depending on your preference!) of impressive scope. The core story isn't particularly memorable, but the plight of Cortana and the ongoing relationship between her and the Master Chief works well to support this, lending a sense of emotion events. The introduction of the Prometheans as a major opposing faction changes up the cadence of many encounters significantly, especially when three-way fights break out, and also brings with it an interesting new set of weaponry.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
45. Neon White (PS4) - This one took me around 20 hours to complete. Though I decided doing the rush stages were not worth my time because while I adore the game, doing every stage perfectly without dying is something I dont think Id manage (the game has a few quirks in those final levels that makes this challenge a no go for me).
The game itself is a action platformer - while it has first person action/shooting, its more about moving insanely fast and never stopping, figuring out ways to take out enemies quickly. Its closer to a puzzle than an FPS, with half the fun figuring out how to break stages to skip parts while still defeating all enemies per level. As the levels progress, you get more weapons, which all have alt fire modes which allow you to traverse the stages in various ways - again makes for some insanely fast paced action/platforming. Its sublime. Thankfully the couple of bosses in the game use the game mechanics to its advantage, rather than make it a silly FPS bullet sponge fight.
The ONLY real issue I have with the game is unfortunately that final set of levels. The weapon you get is basically a good idea executed not so well - I had many (MANY!) instances of it not working, which is basically instant game over (now you see why doing these levels all at once without dying isnt for me), and so it made that last set of 10 stages more annoyance than fun, especially on a couple of the ace medals.

Otherwise, it was a blast. A good challenge and a brilliant concept. Wish you could outright skip the cutscenes though, its all so fucking bad. At least you can fast forward them!

Next up:

Monster Hunter Rise
RGG Ishin Kiwami! (Penultimate Chapter, 99.5% content complete)
Mass Effect 2

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
46. RGG Ishin Kiwami - Just shy of 120 hours to 100% the game. Did I enjoy it? Yeah, liked it loads. Is it a good remake of the origina? Not really. Its a pity that there's a few annoying issues with the remake compared to the original because its still a good game, but flawed in a few annoying ways.

Next up:

Monster Hunter Rise
Mass Effect 2

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Haven't posted in a bit so here are the games I have beaten since my last post.

23: Breath of Fire. End: 3/23/2023.

The original Breath of Fire is an interesting take on the turn-based RPG. It's sort of stuck between the world of NES RPGs and SNES RPGs. A lot of the mechanics that were innovative at the time feel standard these days (such as Ryu having a super form). The story itself is exceedingly and not exactly daring. But it doesn't have to be. This game's world carries quite a lot of the weight. The translation also has some issues (but not quite at the level of its sequel, which I should be putting on this list later).

All in all, a good time for people who like classic turn-based RPGs, but maybe a tough one to go to for people who don't.

24: Assassin's Creed Odyssey. End: 3/26/2023.

This game is absolutely massive. It has a lot of the same issues as the last game with its RPG mechanics. Setting it in Ancient Greece feels pretty standard, but I enjoyed playing as Kassandra.

25: A Memoir Blue. End: 3/29/2023.

This is a very short game about the childhood memories of a swimmer. I don't think the story itself is particularly great, but it has an interesting presentation.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Well, the good news is I managed to beat at least one game this month!

6. Forza Horizon 5: Rally Adventure (PC, 2023) - 4:49 - March 31

The bad news is it was a little disappointing. I think after the two Horizon expansions we got, it's pretty clear that the whole franchise, as good as it's been, could use a big shake-up. If we get a Horizon 6 that doesn't make any meaningful changes from 5, which itself made relatively few changes from where 4 ended up, I'm going to be pretty sad. That extends to the expansions, which follow the same formula as Forza Horizon 3 in a lot of ways.

In terms of other stuff I played, I split the vast majority of my time in March between two games: the Blue Lions route of Fire Emblem: Three Houses, which I think I'm almost done with, and Atelier Ryza 3, which I started a week ago. Three Houses kind of got pushed to the side, but I think if I put in two or three more game sessions I can finish it. After all that, I think I'll finally get to Like a Dragon: Ishin, which Three Houses shoved to the side.

May 15, 2019
Q1 completion update! I did not play that much during this period of time, unfortunately, however I'm happy I was able to get a few completions in.

Main Post

1. Marvel's Avengers (PS5) | 3rd Jan - 16hrs | 8/10
51QCCgruqZL._SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

I actually really enjoyed the story for this one, minus the casting choices (sorry, big MCU voice actor fan). I know people weren't the biggest fans of this game, but I found the campaign itself to be pretty engaging. Kamala Khan was a really fun lead to follow and I thought this was an interesting spin to the Marvel universe. The multiplayer aspects were parts I avoided as much as possible - but the story and combat kept me engaged all the way through. Surprisingly beat this all in one weekend (never usually do that).

2. Tiny Tina's Wonderlands (PC - Steam/Steam Deck) | 26th Jan - 24hrs | 7/10
header.jpg

As a Borderlands fan...eh this one was okay. I've played Borderlands 2, 3 and the Pre-Sequel and found this one to be not as interesting as the others. Some of the humor was still the goofy, sometimes toilet style that I enjoy. However, this one just really didn't stand out to me in any way. The story, the characters, the missions; none of it grabbed my attention as much as the other games. Probably going to catch some flak for having this a point lower than Avengers, but I really couldn't get as much enjoyment out of this title.

3. Dead Space (Remake) (PC - Steam) | 1st Apr - 16hrs | 8/10
header.jpg

This game deserves to be a 9/10! The graphics, the storyline, the characters - everything stood out to me as phenomenal. I never played the Dead Space series before and almost never play horror games. Dead Space just was so unique - catering to my love of Sci-fi and really keeping me on a rollercoaster ride all the way through to the end. I ended up not giving this a 9/10 because of the PC performance - the microstutter that I experienced was really jarring at times. During the heat of a battle against the Necromorphs, it was really annoying getting paused for a split second repeatedly and having my action be thrown off. EA - please patch this game!

Currently playing:
Telltale's The Walking Dead - Season 1

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
47. Shock Troopers (PS4) - I think I prefer this to the sequel. Feels less cheep in terms of level design, melee is more risk and reward (enemies are more aggressive) and the final boss isnt a total drag. As far as vertical scrolling games go, I think this is one of the absolute best.

48. Rez Infinite (PSVR2) - Ive played Rez on and off for years since its release, but this is without a doubt the best way to play it - it basically comes alive in VR, and its just such a trip to play this way. Cleared all stages, including Zone X. I'm now just doing a trophy mop up for the plat. Absolutely adored this.

Next up:

Monster Hunter Rise
Mass Effect 2
Rez Infinite (trophies)

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

Deleted member 32615

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
8f3f305dd70f57cc29a32566aee47aa3.jpg

Game 17: Castlevania 3 Dracula's Curse (NES) (3 Hours) (March 28th, 2023)
I love this one, takes everything I've loved not only of Castlevania 1 but also a bunch of action platformers on the NES and just does it better. Unbelievably consistent throughout, switching characters is fun, level design is brilliant, the world feels huge and the controls feel as tight as ever. Just pure brilliance and up there with the best of it's genre.

4f1464945ba0919dc5d5c04b1baf48b8.jpg

Game 18: Shatterhand (NES) (1 Hour) (April 2nd, 2023)
Didn't like this one as much! Overall a lot of interesting ideas here but in terms of games living up to their elevator pitch, Shatterhand really isn't one of those. Starts off great with punching things feeling brilliant, the power ups being interesting and just watching your guy break down walls with his fists feeling awesome, but after the first level the stages become pretty hit or miss with some levels focusing on climbing bars (a cool idea at first, but I grew to not enjoy it's implementation later) and swimming in water avoiding gears (That being said, loved the level with gravity elements, wish it used that idea more). I started to feel less of a badass punching walls and robots with his own fist, and more like a guy built to avoid environmental elements rather than enemies. I've played a lot of really good NES action platformers over the past few months (Castlevania, Castlevania 3, KickMaster, Vice Project Doom and Journey To Silius, all of which I'd recommend in a heartbeat) and this one just doesn't really compare.

Original Post