Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
Main Post

Got in a couple of more games now that I don't have Shadow on the brain.

24IOAUs.png

32. Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney - Justice For All (Nintendo 3DS) - June 15th
This is one that I really took my time to finish. I think I started back in 2018 but I just never got around to finishing it since I kind of stopped playing the 3DS much until recently. I did finally come back to it now to finish the final case and I can definitely say I'm glad I did. I'm not too big on the gameplay of the Ace Attorney games, at least those that I've played played (the original, this, and Dual Destinies) I've always found that for every time the game makes me feel smart for figuring something out it just as quickly gets very trial and errory. The stories of each case always get me hooked though and JFA was no exception. just very engaging and interesting the whole way through, even Turnabout Big Top.

4/5
fUpfTdj.png

33. Sonic The Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles (Android) - June 16th

After the weird place Shadow put me in I decided it'd probably be a good idea to just run through something I know and love and is just unambiguously good from beginning to end. This was definitely a great idea as a palate cleanser because I had a great time coming back to do yet another playthrough of one of my all time favourites.

5/5

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
25. Street Fighter 6 ★★★★★

wFJeuVP.jpg

After hiding in the shadows as a Street Fighter V enjoyer, it's almost liberating to come out into the dawning sunlight of Street Fighter 6, a game boasting a launch that's the complete opposite reception to its predecessor.
Sometimes you just gotta fall flat on your face I guess to realise what needs to be done, SF6 takes all the lessons learnt during the slooow redemption arc of SFV's lifespan and gets to explode right out of the gate with top marks.

Obviously it's still early days to judge a title where a meta hasn't even had time to shake out, let alone what the game will look like in five years time in regard to content, characters, balance and such. Despite this I'm pretty comfortable at calling this one of the best games of 2023, at the fundamental base level, SF6 just nails it.
Bursting with a presentational swagger that oozes confidence, SF6 looks to draw players into a genre often considered intimidating and tricky to learn. Throwing in the unicorn that is an actual robust single player option in the "Yakuza/like a dragon-lite" World Tour mode, a mode that is certainly not without its issues (fighting games just aren't a genre that adapt well to escalating fights against CPU, eventually they gotta cheat!), yet serves as an engaging sorta stealth teaching tool, a stress free sandbox to try out different movesets, learn how overcome CPU opponents playing in a specific formulaic manner and slowly rolling out the nuances of its new drive gauge.
It's a shame I can't add "with a compelling story" to this, SFV sets up a fair bit of interesting plot points for weirdos like me who kinda dig their dumb fighting game lore, but the whole thing just feels like a drawn out prologue to something more, though really I find it hard to complain because single player content is really the secondary concern to a fighting game, and this still trumps 90% of them.
Unsurprisingly the game shines the most in fighting other players, a process that is now smoother than ever with rollback netcode, fast loading times and multiple different ways to find matches, from the tried and true waiting for a ranked battle, to the arcade/social room hybrid that is the battle hub. I'm one of those people who gets a fair bit of online anxiety with competitive games, here I've been quick to overcome this and just enjoy the game, part mindset adjustment learned over years of dipping my toes into online fighting pools and also just part that the gameplay is just so inherently fun and quick to dive into.

I prize newcomers in fighting games, I like to see what's new, what unexplored concepts can be brought to the table either as fighting styles or the characters themselves, SF6 blows right past the first offerings seen in the limited day 1 additions of SF4 and V. Manon and Marisa being my runaway winners, two contrasting styles (Ballerina Judo vs Gladitorial fisticuffs) and looks (slender model vs absolute unit) that feel purpose built for an in story friendly rivalry deal.
Even the initially more dubious newcomers present well, new headliner Luke having endearing himbo energy and babby faced Lily just animating with such bouncy vibrancy, all of this bolstered by the pre local play match walk outs and expression fluctuating vs screen face off.
Meanwhile the old guard feel fresher and funner than ever, some new looks, new moves, the feeling that Capcom's approach to balance here was "give everyone some sauce", as one of era's few Blanka fans, I'm eating here.
I'm incredibly excited to see how this game develops, what characters will be added and so forth, Capcom continue to be at the top of their game right now and this may well be a frontrunner for my GotY.

26. New Super Luigi U
(replay) ★★★

giphy.gif

(yes this was how they actually marketed Luigi's hostile takeover)

Well damn, that's three five star outings in a row, which is why I opted for a carefully planned replay to "take a hit for the team" so to speak as the breather game. A revisit to the Luigi flavoured remix of WiiU's launch title has been in the cards for me for a while, my feelings on it now remain pretty much the same to back in 2013 (or was it 2014? Whatever the year of Luigi was).

For some NSLU is in fact the best outing of the 4.5 (this one is the .5) NSMB games, an angle I can see, with its difficulty curve being more engaging from the jump, its quick fire levels offering a more SMB3 style blast of action, and generally just some of the best 2D Mario levels Nintendo have put out.
Personally I find this game to be hamstrung by its decision to be built so heavily off NSMBU as a base, in this case we're talking a DLC that utilises the same cutscenes, world map, level gimmicks and such. NSMBU was already basically NSMB Wii HD remix, and now they've gone for one more round of warping the concepts into something more, impressive mileage being wrung out of a formula that probably should've just stopped at Wii, but as such very prone to "I've done this before".
The main issue that comes with the way the game leverages the NSMBU structure is that it doesn't really fly with the approach to play that NSLU has.

This here is a game with shorter, faster, harder, quickfire stages, yet it carries the same mario-isms as its source, each death boots you out of the stage instead of a quick restart, the redundant and unskippable mini scenes that crop up hurt the pacing, heck with how quick some of the levels are, the general waiting for the overworld to unveil its path to the next stage can start feeling like its equalling the time spent platforming.
And no area is this all more obvious to me than the boss fights, which is to say, why are they here? Koopaling and Boom Boom encounters that are already kinda slow and eventful are straight up copy/pasted over from the base NSMBU to NSLU. As such you'll smash through a castle gauntlet in 30 intense seconds, and then have to sit through the tedium of watching koopalings roll back and forth in their shells for longer than you spent actually getting there.

It's kinda crazy to me that this game would just present so much better if it streamlined the experience in small ways, and as a personal preference I do find the stages a bit too short, from a taking hits standpoint you'll be able to face tank a lot of enemies/hazards, while Luigi's slippery physics certainly caused me my share of death by bottomless pit, his high default jump can I turn trivialise some of the more open areas of the stages, Luigi's jump is basically too good, and as much as the game is built around this, it's just kinda hard when he can nigh on jump a full screens height by default and then gets the power acron on top of that.
For more bright sides though, this outings ghost houses are far more obstacle focused, no time for puzzles with a 99 second timer ya see, powerups are more integrated into certain level designs (a full stage penguin suit slide, or ice flower freezing fuzzies), when it's on, you've got some of the best quickfire slices of mario gameplay out there.

As DLC it's great, when presented more like its own game it kinda fumbles a bit, a great companion piece to the original game, but I'd still rather just play that original game.

27. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart ★★★

DPwWFJj.jpg

Few franchises leave me struggling to figure out my feelings on it quite like Ratchet & Clank, and here Rift Apart exists to leave me just as puzzled as ever.
I kinda slot R&C into the same general franchise area as Kirby or Mega Man, it's there to be a reliable standby, often delivers good titles and ultimately it's a fun time. In fact in the PS3 era, Ratchet was really going full Kirby/MM with how many entries it pumped out including spinoffs and shorter download titles.
Much like the aforementioned two series, the thing I find with Ratchet is it's consistent by just being more of the usual, picking my favourite entry is like pulling a title out of a hat, I guess I'll lean to the popular consensus of a Crack in Time, it's somewhat similar to Kirby's Return to Dreamland deluxe that I tackled earlier in this thread, it's the one that just felt the most well rounded and complete to me.
One major difference Ratchet has to these other long running action platformer series though, is reception, which is to say that critically speaking Ratchet is known to rub elbows with his platform's best, since Tools of Destruction the games have also served as something of a playstation consoles shiny tech showcase, often boasting the best visuals thus far on the platform and standing out during the early period.

This long pre-amble leads to Rift Apart, a highly acclaimed latest entry to show off the POWAH of the PS5, and the question "does this game substantially improve upon what came before or is it just more of the usual?", well you already know where I'm going with this I expect.
To speak to the most important thing about Rift Apart, is it's always fun, I never felt particularly bored, the game paces itself well, it flows well, it's got the formula down and refined.

The feeling I mostly have when playing this game is that it could've been more, the game's new hallmarks include dimensional rifts that allow for instant transitions between differing areas (praise the SSD!) and perhaps moreso the new co-star, alternate dimension lombax Rivet.
I expected Rivet to probably play closely to Ratchet, but was interested to see what difference there'd be, if Ratchet is the Mega Man, was a I finally gonna get this game's Protoman/Bass as a soft gameplay remix of sorts?
No
And that kinda blows my mind, Rivet has a hammer instead of a wrench, it functions the same for melee attacks and err, that's about it. In fact Ratchet and Rivet play so similarly that you'll play an entire segment about Ratchet getting some spiffy new speed boots(low key the game's best new feature, they feel great to use), and then afterwards transition into Rivet's next gameplay segment and you've got the same boots now for no reason, just like they both carry the same weapons, upgrades, etc. The pair are interchangeable and their swapping between is entirely for narrative purposes and not gameplay which is a real bummer to me.

Said narrative is inoffensive, inoffensive is actually I think the way Sony want this franchise presented now, considering where the series started from, it's kind of fascinating to see how sanded down Ratchet has become. Not that I want any manufactured drama between he and Clank, they be best buds now for multiple games, that's cool, the whole defanged Ratchet was more an issue for the last outing that served as a rebooted remake of the original game only with Generic McHero replacing the original rough edged character, here it's still noticeable how less biting the satire is and how more family friendly angled it is.
It's with Rivet and Kitt (obviously there's a not clank as well) where things come across half baked on the story front. Rivet initially sports an extra level of sass, uneasy alliance with Clank that fades after about 15 minutes. Meanwhile ratchet meets Kitt, an incredibly dour robot with little faith in themselves and that's gonna be her deal for the whole game really. Pep talks and motivational spiels are all the rage in Rift Apart, there's something of an attempt to pull on some heartstrings and get some Pixar moments to match the Pixar visuals that just completely miss the mark and feel transparent.
Even Dr Nefarious, a character I dig, is running on fumes here, though the use of his successful and superior doppelganger is used to more interesting effect than the rest, it's a shame we don't see more of them as duo.
Hats off to the emperor for presence, it's almost bizarre to see a Nefarious that carries something of a threatening vibe, wonderfully animated and voice acted.

Gameplay wise, yep, it sure is Ratchet, buy guns, expel all ammo from guns at waves of enemies, light platforming, grind some rails, break boxes, find the odd gold bolt. The formula still works, I'm gonna go back to Mega Man yet again here (hey people often say that a 3D mega man should basically look at Ratchet after all) and note the general feeling that there's only so much they can really do with the weapon types per game as long as they stick to the formula, new names and visual designs to fulfil similar niches, pleasing to use and making use of the haptic triggers to add a bit of spice, but as much as I love the topiary sprinkler, I'm very much aware it's just this game's groovitron or what not like how the blue bomber swaps out a leaf shield for a jewel shield across numerical entries.
There's a feeling I have that as the games get more player friendly to control, that they also get a bit more automated, despite the differing styles of weapons, hitting your targets is rarely more involved than aiming in their general direction and the game just doing the rest for you, weapon got an arc? That's not really anything for the player to take into account unless the enemy is too far away in general, the game will place the shot for you. Not much in the way of enemy specific tactics seemingly, or much enemy variety in general. It feels good to simply play, just like PS4 R&C did, I just can't help but feel like they're leaving a lot of potential on the table, it doesn't need to go all Doom Eternal out here (absolutely not lol) but the most tactical I get is putting down all my automated weapons before engaging and that just feels like common sense.

The clear benchmark being presented here are the visuals, buttery smooth, visually dense, pleasingly stylised. There's a whole host of set pieces that make dynamic use of the rifts and just lean into spectacle in a way that the series has never quite delivered before (to my memory at least). I have a sneaking feeling that as these games get more visually opulent, the overall level design tends to become more limited as a result, there's some pleasing shakeups with a few more open albeit sparse environments to zoom around with your jet shoes/turbo slugs, on the other hand former aspects like dogfights and swimming (this is all 2014's Quark narration's fault isn't it!) don't crop up (there's one flight mechanic and it's so brief and lacking I'd sooner just move on), making the experience a bit less varied than past entries.
As always though Clank's got a bit of light puzzling action going for him, ain't no complaints here, lemmings 3D.

It really must be said though, that the basic blasting gameplay is fundamentally sound, it makes for an engaging time, just not quite the exciting one I'd hoped for. The game builds up to a strong finale, I'm always gonna shout out a staff credits that is visually interesting (we're really leaning into the end of an animated movie vibe now) as opposed to a reel of a hundred names in modern day's mammoth development set to an assortment of background music, heck on that note there's even a great little villainous musical ditty when the credits does reach that point, makes me wish the series gave their OSTs more of an impact on the whole really.

Another wonderful example of "boy it sure is easy to talk about a game's flaws than praise them" here, so to reiterate, an enjoyable game well worth playing. I've started and stopped a lot of games these last few years so any one that makes it through clearly had something good going on.
I just can't shake the feeling that this series not only could do more at this point in its lifespan, but that the framework of this game was the perfect time to take that swing, as it stands it's another perfectly good Ratchet game, one of the best? no idea! I'll be interested to see what series veterans and fans think of this one, they'll be able to give me better insight I expect.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
43: Quantum Break. End: 6/10/2023.

You can tell they wanted this to become a much bigger deal than it ended up being. The cast alone indicates they had big dreams for this IP. For whatever reason, it hasn't happened yet (and may never happen with the unfortunate passing of Lance Reddick).

How is the game itself? I think it's fine. Not great and not terrible. Not exactly a ringing endorsement, but it has its moments. No regrets about playing it (on Game Pass).

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
12. Assassin's Creed Unity

I was looking for a podcast game and I thought that it'd be a great fit. After all, it has stupidly a ton of content, even if the majority of them are just fillers. The graphics are still stunning, especially the interiors. It can easily be a late last-gen game with that graphics. The parkour animation also feels fluid and satisfying to look at, so it's a shame that the control isn't that good. I feel like I was wrestling with the control all of the time, making navigating through the city and sneaking my own really really hard. The story is okay and not as memorable as the previous entries.

13. Yakuza 6
I'm just gonna post what I wrote in another thread

Just finished Yakuza 6 and I pretty like it. I found the story one of the best in the series. Since Kiryu has a personal stake in the story, the emotional beats hit harder than ones in the previous games. It's nice to finally see he shows more emotions and has more personal connections with the characters. Some of the twists still are stupid, but at least not intellectually insulting like the ones in Yakuza 5. The game actually makes me like Akiyama even more. He's such a good bro, and something that Majima will never be, unfortunately (I just want to have a game where both of them go in a journey together lol).

The gameplay is, obviously, a big departure from the previous games. It feels really stiff at the beginning of the game and only until I unlocked many, many skills, the combat feels like the previous Yakuza games. And Tiger Drop is nerfed hard, so hard that I was bummed by it lol. The more limited usage of Heat Action is also disappointing. It's honestly one of the best things in the series. I only finished 15 sidequests out of 52. The lack of icons in the map and the visual signs in the world make it hard for me to find them. And each side quest is significantly longer than usual, so it feels like a drag. So I don't even bother with them.

14. Psychonauts
Not gonna lie, I started playing the game after abandoning it for years because of the documentary. The stylized art style helps make the game age better. The control is decent and the abilities are fun. It's just changing them really annoying. Some of the level designs range from amazing to a drag. The story and the characters are fun. They just ooze Saturday morning cartoons. I'm installing Psychonauts 2 now, though depending on my first impression, I may not immediately try to beat it this month.

Whimsicalish

Dec 30, 2019
Midwest
YCMMWYq.jpg
29 | Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
PS5 | May 15 | 25 h | 2/5

I have no idea why I picked up a platform game. It looked fun and interesting from the PS page.

While some parts were fun, the majority of the game left me frustrated with necessary fast and precise controls. Again, no idea why I picked up this type of game that I normally do not play. I guess I felt masochistic that day? This low review is because of my bad time with the controls. It's not a bad game per se!

I did enjoy the different "monster" (aka animal) forms you can control. Snake to get into small spaces. Frog to launch yourself to higher platforms. Lion to charge. There's more! Plus some of the forms can benefit from the armor and weapons you find or purchase.

But damn, I am not kidding that pure stubbornness made me continue to beat AND platinum the game. Absolutely do not recommend for your sanity. Practice self love by dumping any entertainment that's not bringing you joy.

2G9fuT0.jpg
30 | Final Fantasy II: Pixel Remaster
PC | May 24 | 20 h | 3/5

It's alright; entertaining for an older RPG. I do dislike in this Pixel Remaster, there is no way of hiding your mouse cursor till game 5. Kinda sad that's not an option. This game also had an issue if a monster-in-the-wild had the same name as a monster-in-a-box, you could not run away. Even though you are in the wild. Probably something to do with their coding? They just hard stopped you from running away from it. Pretty annoying if you were grinding for a specific monster.

They haven't quite figured out storytelling yet on this format since the game's size needed to be so small in OG FFII. There's a main antagonist but he's not explained well. He's just kinda there lol. You also constantly lose a fourth party member. Doesn't give you much time to bond with any of them.

The soundtrack is great though. Minus the Imperial Army track that always reminded me of Alfred Hitchcock's film, Psycho.

Au0wtdF.jpg
31 | Final Fantasy III: Pixel Remaster
PC | May 28 | 17 h | 2.5/5

I initially didn't think much of this game until I played FFIV. Then I wished I was back here.

More effort for story and world building. I can see where the mmo FFXIV found its inspiration. I like the freedom of the open jobs, any of your characters can be any job. The dungeon maps are much smaller and easier to navigate than previous entries; while the world map is larger and more creative. It's a welcomed change.

The battle turns felt more inconsistent here. Sometimes enemies would go multiple times before you had a chance to move once. Other times you could fight the same enemy and you would go first. It would make fights, particularly boss fights, aggravating because you set up actions for your party members only for the enemy to take turns randomly and screw up the order. Also despise the spell Mini. Yuck.

2xE7XPE.jpg
32 | Final Fantasy IV: Pixel Remaster
PC | June 14 | 25 h | 2/5

I did not like this game. As stated above, I gave 3 a lower rating. I played this and promptly upped the rating for it. Poor Lobotomaxx heard me announce multiple times that I hated this one while playing together.

Generally the story was more solid. You get a better sense of the characters and their resolve. That doesn't stop the main character from being plain stupid at times but whatcha gonna do? Uh, I'm trying to find positives but all I see from my notes are negatives...so without further ado.

You can't see the buffs on the bosses. So if you're trying to cast a debuff or remove a buff from them, you can't tell what is on currently. Game tells you everything on stat menu BUT what your commands do on a character. How am I supposed to know what my actions do if you don't tell me? Good thing Google exists now.

There's an annoying amount of unwinnable fights in the story. You'll give everything you got until, oh, it was scripted. Cool. There's hidden walls you cannot see. I guess you're supposed to use your face and walk into every single wall for something hidden. Again doesn't hide the mouse cursor. Whyyyyyy.

So far, I am enjoying V much more.

UTwWTw4.jpg
33 | Black Mirror
PS5 | June 18 | 6 h | 2/5

A rare game I play while Lobotomaxx assists from beside on our couch. I have wanted to play this for a couple months and knowing that it was leaving PS Plus in less than 24 hours was the kick I needed to start. I knew nothing about it. I didn't know until after the credits that it was based on older games with the same title.

Um, it wasn't great. The first chapter started fairly strong. You're in this decrepit family mansion, sneaking around and solving cryptic puzzles. You are trying to follow your father's footsteps to stop this supposed family curse. Sounds interesting right? Well, sadly all that cool stuff was at the end. Since I didn't play the previous games, the ending felt rushed and not clear to me.

There's a ton of cutscenes and black loading screens in this game. I am not one to knock a game down for animation quality, but for the amount of cutscenes, it does leave much to be desired. The characters are incredibly stiff, with little mouth movement.

There are so many loading screens! An unreasonable amount. You will be sitting silently, looking at a black screen for a long time. I don't understand why some of the rooms or locations couldn't be connected to cut down on the shear amount of loading. There's a tiny hallway that literally only connects you to the living room from the parlor. Anytime you need that room, you get not one, but two loading screens. For a relatively small room. It's poor planning.

After chapter 1, there's less puzzles. Only one specific puzzle toward the end I can think of. The gameplay turns into a couple of boring tasks. Either run here and talk to this person then go back to speak with this person, or there's a "puzzle" but you just guess or mash a button until you get it correct. What happened to the multi-part desk puzzle that was thought out in the beginning?

There are fixed camera angles, which is part cool, part annoying. It was cool for atmosphere; but gameplay wise, trying to find clues was annoying when the camera had a mind of its own. I don't even know what to say about the characters. Everyone was so bare bones that when a name was mentioned you forgot who they were, lmao.

I don't know if this deserves a two, but I'd feel so bad if I gave it only one star. I feel like the team was TRYING. However, the finished product has so much wasted potential. I was looking forward to it but in the end, we couldn't stop laughing how absurd it turned out.

Main Post

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
90. Zool (PS5) - Finished both the remastered version and the original version. Honestly I had more fun with the game than I was expecting - I enjoyed Zool enough back in the day but assumed it was more of a Nostalgia thing but after replaying it now, its actually a fairly fun fast paced game. Its a shame the trophy for doing all the badges is glitched as I managed to do all the no death/best time runs. Overall a great update on the game.

91. Horizon COTM (PSVR2) - My arms hurt. Horizon in VR is more climbing than fighting machines, but I like did 100 hours of that in FW last year, so Im open to different stuff. The climbing is fun, vastly superior to how mainline Horizon games handled it, and the more gear you get the more fun the climbing gets. The combat is fine enough, sticks close to the console games in that sense however I feel the enclosed areas that force you to fight the enemies works against it, somehow it feels worse than if it were an on rails lightgun game, plus the controls to switch weapons and ammo sometimes just didnt want to work in the heat of the moment.
Overall a solid game, amazing spectacle in VR, though far from my favourite VR game.

Next up:

Every Console/Handheld (unique) Spidey game... seriously
Tetris Effect VR
Runner
Mudrunners
Monster Hunter Rise
Rez Infinite (trophies)
Lost more VR stuff
MGS Rising
Splatterhouse (PS3)
Avengers
NMH3
Bayonetta 3
Sonic Frontiers
Plague's Tale
And a game generation worth of SFVI play!

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

A thread for people that are trying to play 52 games in a year. Tell us how you're doing and what you are going to play next - claim a post and update us on your progress! How do I take part? Claim a 'main post' where you will list all your completions for the year. You can use fancy images...

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
Main Post

Got another couple of short ones to add. With these two and the Origins Plus and (I assume) Frontiers updates releasing this month I guess it's just gonna be a very Sonic heavy one.

KWfljQy.png

34. Sonic Colours (Nintendo Wii) - June 22nd (1 Hour)
I'm not the biggest fan of the Wii version of Sonic Colours, it's the epittome of less than the sum of it's parts for me. As enjoyable as many of the levels can be, even if they never reach the highs of Generations or Unleashed, the amount of filler content just ruins the pacing of a still fairly short game. I didn't play regular Colours here though, I used the True Colors (rip U) which takes out all the filler and let's you play just the main acts and boss fights. Due to the way this was implemented, just rearanging the level order, it doesn't actually let you properly play through the game with cutscenes and all but I'm fine just using the Egg Shuttle mode. This does make an already short game even shorter (less than an hour), but it's far better paced this way and I find it far improved over the regualr experience. This is Colours at its best and I had a fantastic time with it on this replay.

4/5
C70aEcV.jpg

35. Sonic Riders (Playstation 2) - June 23rd (1 Hour)

Another short Sonic game here but Riders has long been one of my favourites. It's a very unique racing game that plays like nothing else and I always have a good time just running through the story mode and racing through the stages. I definitely want to try this one in multiplayer at some point but the general feel of boosting through it's stages feels good enough that I'll never get bored playing alone. A very underrated racing game and easily one of my favourites.

5/5

Celestial Descend

Corrupted by Vengeance
Aug 15, 2022
26. Hi-Fi Rush | ACT | PC | ★★★★☆ | 6-22
"Are you rushing or dragging?" The striking visual style makes a great first impression. Despite being super linear, the game still creates a sense of exploration with secret rooms and multiple traverse methods to mix things up, which I appreciate immensely. I detest games like Devil May Cry (and more recent example, FF16) and their corridor linking combat arena structure. The little platforming sections, light puzzles, secret rooms, sidescrolling sections, traversal setpieces that Hi-Fi Rush constantly threw at me made me forget I was playing a character action game. Pacing is fantastic, always introducing new mechanics, and the game ends right where it needs to be, just before the experience gets stale. The combat makes you feel like you have musical superpower when it works, but I was seldom able to make it work. I'm a hopeless dragger lol. I had some small problems with the protagonist, mainly how him being an idiot from a 90s anime. It didn't help that the last Japanese game I played was Xenoblade Chronicles 3, where the protagonist tried his best Socrates impression. The contrast is too strong.

27. The Blackwell Epiphany | AVG | PC | ★★★☆☆ | 6-23
I expected it to follow the storyline of Deception, in particular, the secret society, but it isn't the case, which is a shame because you'd think the last chapter of a five part series would reveal something bigger. Instead, it's mostly about personal tragedy. The story meanders a bit in the middle, but I'm pleased with the ending. This whole series feels like a trip to New York, but instead of the tourist sites, you visit the places normal New Yorkers live and work.

28. Dujanah | AVG | PC | ★★★☆☆ | 6-24
First time I saw this game, I thought "this game has a similar vibe to Beeswing". It turned out they are by the same creator. Very unique visual and audio design and surprisingly straightforward story. One can argue the sudden swing of mood and theme is part of the charm and serves to break up the long philosophizing dialogue , but oh boy are some of the minigames complete dogshit. Also, this game seems to be as unstable as Beeswing, and glitches can affect your save file so they might force you to start over. It probably won't be a pleasant experience for most people, but it's not a bad thing to challenge oneself once in a while.

29. Transistor | RPG | PC | ★★★★☆ | 7-15
While Bastion is hard carried by the art and sound design, Transistor has a lot more to offer. The action RPG system mixed with real-time-with-pause mechanics took me some time to get used to. Once I did, I learnt to appreciate the depth of the skill combination system and the different play styles it provide. The game have small test levels that further challenge your understanding of the battle system. Enemy variety is a bit of thin side. The story is a simple one, but Supergiant is great at giving a classic tale a unique coat of paint. This time, the revenge story is set in a futuristic city that appears to be programmers' paradise. Those computer science language makes the game seems otherworldly, even though it doesn't develop anything new at its core.

30. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter | AVG | PC | ★★★☆☆ | 7-16
"This game does not hold your hands"
Actually, please hold my hands and never let go. People not liking handholdy games doesn't mean they enjoy stumbling around aimlessly. The disjointedness of the stories readily gives away the fact that this is not really an investigation game.

31. Paranormasight: The Seven Mysteries of Honjo | AVG | PC | ★★★★☆ | 7-21
Fate/stay night for the most part, with a nice pinch of Ever17 in the end to incorporate the player into the story, but who's the storyteller? A few translation woes aside, the story is captivating. There are a few things that I still couldn't understand, but that's bound to happen when the story evolves around magic. The art is gorgeous, and brings out that 80s aesthetics the creator was aiming at. It is incredibly cheap for Square Enix to not greenlight the budget for voice acting, when small VN developers can afford full voice acting for much longer titles.

Original Post

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
92. Pikmin HD Remaster (Switch) - An impulse buy, but Im excited for Pikmin 4 so what can I say! Never was a big fan on the original game back in the day, so I was surprised that I enjoyed this quite so much on this replay. Its pretty simple compared to Pikmin 3 (less Pikmin types), its a great pick up and play game though, definitely suits a handheld - I routinely smashed through several days in one sitting, getting all the ship parts along the way. Its not the best remaster/port Ive ever played (no FPS improvements, 60FPS would have been grand) but all in all, its a really addictive game that I had a blast replaying.
Now onto the sequel.

Bonus 1. Kid Chameleon (Mega Drive/Switch Online) - Not counting my completion on this one, I abused the saves a bit too much on the last couple of levels (that said, those levels are utter bastards to do legit). Overall, love the game - its massive, its quite possible no two playthroughs will be similar (so many warps chuck you out in completely different areas) plus the powers almost all rock. Still one of my favourite Sega games of the era.

Next up:

Tetris Effect VR
Runner
Mudrunners
Monster Hunter Rise
Rez Infinite (trophies)
Lost more VR stuff
MGS Rising
Splatterhouse (PS3)
Avengers
NMH3
Bayonetta 3
Sonic Frontiers
Plague's Tale

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

A thread for people that are trying to play 52 games in a year. Tell us how you're doing and what you are going to play next - claim a post and update us on your progress! How do I take part? Claim a 'main post' where you will list all your completions for the year. You can use fancy images...
[/QUOTE]

el_galvon

Jun 13, 2019
Main Post

28. Pizza Tower (PC - 2023) | May/21 - 9hrs | 9/10
FthkUpZ.png

The good: Set the pace and appreciate how well constructed each level is
The bad: The duo Gustavo and Brick deserved more stages!

29. Skate (Xbox 360 - 2007) | May/27 - 9hrs | 7/10
3DvBus6.jpg

The good: Internalize the controls and finally execute a sequence of maneuvers successfully
The bad: Anything larger than a grain of sand will knock your character out

30. PowerWash Simulator (Xbox One - 2022) | Jun/09 - 40hrs | 7/10
V7AarLR.jpg

The good: Simple, uncompromised mechanics, a perfect "podcast game"; Also I'm happy to see the guys who made the Velocity games achieve success with this game
The bad: The controls are a bit clunky and few pressure options are really efficient

31. Planet of Lana (Xbox One - 2023) | Jun/09 - 5hrs | 7.5/10
rtgqxxB.jpg

The good: Excellent and colorful visuals that contrast with other games of the same style; "Horizons" is a great song
The bad: Little variety of puzzles and challenges during most of the game

32. Forza Horizon 3 (Xbox One - 2016) | Jun/18 - 20hrs | 8.5/10
wQrr8Pb.jpg

The good: The possibility to choose where on the map new events will be available
The bad: Constantly take the worst prize in Wheelspin

33. Olija (Xbox One - 2021) | Jun/18 - 6hrs | 6.5/10
Jb2Tlts.jpg

The good: Combat with the harpoon is very fluid and fun
The bad: The game is short and there is little to do other than the main story.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
28. Samurai Shodown (PS4) ★★★

Here's one of those "I don't know how to consider this game beaten" games, costing me about the price of a cup of coffee and cake from a PSN sale a couple of months ago, I finally got to indulge my intrigues in SNK's newest Samurai Shodown game.
My history with the series being the first game and that's actually it.
Since the game has the structure of most modern fighting games, which is to say single player content is scarce, I guess I just consider a successful story mode run (story? this was arcade in disguise!) good enough.

All things considered, I actually dig this game quite a bit, the focus on high commitment and high damage gives it some spice, it's not quite as all in on that approach as its more grounded sibling series The Last Blade which I have a wee bit more experience with, but hits enough of the same notes.
Presentation really makes the most of SNK's limitations, I can't exactly say that the character model and stages look great as such, they clearly aren't rocking the budget, so they let style carry the day to pretty potent effect leading to a game punching above its visual weight.
Bounced around all the cast in VS mode (no DLC mind you outside the two that came with this deluxe edition) and it's a nice varied batch of characters.
Without any chums to play with locally or online I hoped that the game's gimmicky ghost system where you fight opponents based on human players (I think I first saw this in the Xbox KI game?) might have something going for it but the early options presented to me fought with the ferocity of a CPU training mode dummy, I guess you have to grind up to fight threatening ghosts.

I took Kabuki nutter Kyoshiro Senryo through the uhh "story", this dude has all I desire
- Ranged pokes
- Is a fuckin' weirdo
- a command grab where he gobbles you up with a toad
He is now my SS boi

Mechanically I think there's some cool ideas in here, obviously not all exclusive to this entry like weapon flipping, I think that the ability to basically devour your own special gauge to enter a state where you can just quick draw murder your opponent might've been new here and ohhh that's a fascinating slice of high risk/high reward.
I think the game is supposed to get a rollback update soon-ish (around EVO maybe, heck it might already have it for all I know), though I can't expect it'll bring the game into the limelight.
Even so, despite not being able to rave about this one or expereince it at is PvP best, I really hope SNK push on with the series revival, if you're gonna get forcibly consumed by big Saudi blood money, then at the very least go ham on a sequel, this shows a promising modern base I could be day 1 for.

29. New Super Mario Bros U (replay) ★★★★

Initially I was going to wait until later in the year to revisit this one instead of hitting it so soon after Luigi U, but then there were rumblings of an actual NEW (not "new") 2D Mario hitting later this year that would soon be confirmed to be true, so I decided to just tackle NSMBU ahead of schedule

The great thing about when Wonder releases later this year, is that I might finally be able to profess my preference to this 2D Mario game over its numerous predecessors without it being seen as some kind of wacky modern game bias/copium whatever, well the game is over a decade old now anyway so I'd like to think my enjoyment of it is very genuine.

NSMBU is both well served and hard done by being built off the back of all those other NSMB titles, as mentioned in the Luigi writeup, the level design here often cribs conceptually from NSMWii, which in itself was mostly a well executed collection of series tropes, thus I can't really call NSMBU's offering exciting as such.
I can however consider the overall level design and gameplay as being incredibly tight, I'm coming around on the idea that my enjoyment of this game is also heavy on the extra levels of flex you can perform compared to other 2D Mario games, the toolset from the 3D games like the triple jump, wall jump and ground pound, the air spin to alter momentum added in Wii, these small additions allow the player to just belt it through stages in a flowing manner hitting the same kind of sweet spot as when you can stick to the upper route in a sonic game.
Pulling off last moment corrections with the spin, bailing out a bottomless pit with a series of improvised and jammy wall jumps, it just hits me in the right spot.

Since this is the switch port, I get the novelty of an new "easy mode" character in Toadette, where her main bonus is a unique power up that led to that wave of Bowsette fan art, yeeep. Alas the power up itself felt basically like a slightly better Squirrel suit/power acorn that's this entries main new suit, which didn't spice up the replay all that much, I can now just choose basic Yellow Toad over Mario though, and you bet I did.
NSMBU is basically the idealised version of this formula, the one with actually kinda nice backgrounds, the one with a more interesting overworld (though still behind what SMW offered), it is however still that formula and it being the fourth in a very samey series stops it from reaching any sort of all timer status.

However, I find it fun as heck, I'm relieved to see the "new" sub series finally end, but it went out swinging like one of those punch ghosts (Broozers?) you might see in a ghost house, a game where I completely understand apathy towards its safe as all heck existence, only for it to still win me over on the back of the 2D series best (derivative) level design so far.
Oh and the whole extra challenge mode featured and clips of the developers going full cirque du soleil in co-op exist almost to support my theory that this game's secret sauce is that FLEX potential.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
Main post

23 - Beat Saber - PS VR2 - 30 hours / 25th June - 10/10
Best version of the best rhythm game, that is all.

24 - Mothmen 1966 - PS5 - 2 hours / 25th June - 7/10
Fun little pulp horror story with great CGA graphics about monsters appearing during a meteor shower. It's a shame it's so short and does not have much replayability.

25 - Varney Lake - PS5 - 3 hours / 25th June - 8/10
Sequel to Mothmen 1966 and the story is even better this time around, with kids hanging out with vampires during summer vacation. There are 4 endings to unlock, in this one so it doesn't feel as short as Mothmen too.

I've slowed down in the number of games I'm beating as I'm playing through some large RPGs right now: Diablo 4, FF16 and *** Legacy. I'm quite far in *** Legacy and Diablo 4 but I've dropped everything to go through FF16. Hopefully once I've finished that one I can go hoover up the ends of the other 2 and finish 3 large games in quick succession,

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
44: Final Fantasy III Pixel Remaster. End: 6/18/2023.

I'd played the DS remake of this game before, but never a version based on the original. In a lot of ways, it felt like a completely new experience. Given the QoL changes, it was also a more pleasant experience than I imagine the original was (it was certainly more pleasant than the remake).

45: Planet of Lana. End: 6/25/2023.

It's interesting playing a development studio's first game. This was a pretty enjoyable, albeit not totally original, puzzle platform game from a first-time development studio, and I'm looking forward to seeing what Wishfully Studios does next.

Sillen2000

Oct 1, 2019
Main Post

May update: 23/52

Lack of much free time means a fairly quick (edit: whoops, it still became quite lengthy) update this month. Also because of Street Fighter 6 and FFXVI.

qUkyqMr.jpg

20. May 3rd | Xenoblade Chronicles 3 : Future Redeemed | Switch | 33h 22m | ☆☆☆(/5)
My game of the year for 2022 gets expanded with a pretty meaty story DLC, and it basically improves on everything gameplay related from the base game. Having not played X or Torna yet, this is by far the best playing XC game, and the one that best incentivizes all kinds of exploration, giving the player AP to level up stats, learn new (and improve old) skills simply by fighting enough of a certain enemy, opening chests, or just finding new landmarks. Like, everything you do in these fairly small, but very dense DLC maps are benefitial in some ways. Even money, the most pointless thing in XC3, has been given a purpose, being now used as for upgrading the party member's weapons.

Combat's the same in most ways (looks extremely chaotic, but feels weirdly zen when you're in it. At least to me), but the Ouroboros have been replaced with simpler combo attacks with different effects depending on which two party members are paired up, and the chain attacks can be a bit more customized where the characters can be equipped with new chain bonuses, which can net even more insane damage than the base game's chain attacks. Both vast improvements over previous systems in my mind. Also felt like it was a bit more difficult than the base game? At least one or two bosses definitely gave me some trouble at least, which was a nice surprise.

The big issue with Future Redeemed, and why I don't think it's as good as the base game, has miainly to do with the much worse writing. Like, it's not terrible or anything, it's not Xenoblade Chronicles 2, but it feels very rushed. Among those who played the base game, most would probably say that the final two chapters felt like big chunks of the plot were missing, and this entire DLC sort of feels the same way. It does end on a high note and is probably the only game in the series with a good final area (and by far the best final boss), but the way there feels like it's been fast-forwarded to the extreme, while also skipping scenes here and there. Even the sidequest writing is pretty mediocre, which is honestly kind of strange since they don't have to tie in to the rushed main story, and how extremely good the side content in the base game was. It's like Monolith just forgot overnight how good they are at what they do. Biggest disappointment, though, is how incredible bland the main party is. The protagonist, Matthew, is sort of fun, but never amounts to much more than a pretty funny, heroic meathead, while the others, even Rex and Shulk, are just there with barely anything to do other than fill out the party. They do get some good moments in the DLC's few heart to hearts, but that's about it.

So, a fantastic game from a pure gameplay perspective, but story, characters and overall writing is a pretty huge downgrade from the base game. Really good experience overall, though, and somehow the ending still managed to end on a strong note thanks to the series trademark pathos that feels like it shouldn't ever work, but somehow always does. Also absolutely incredible to end the game (and this entire saga of Xenoblade Chronicles?) with a (very good) Mitsuda composed song sung by Joanne Hogg.

Soundtrack highlight:
New Battle!!!

BgpohNn.jpg

21. May 13th | Live A Live | Switch | 28h 32m | Pseudo-replay | ☆☆½
I did actually play the original Live A Live through a fan translation to completion back in the day, so this is technically a replay, but a) it's been over a decade, and b) the absolutely beautiful HD-2D graphics really breathes new life into it.

As for the game itself, it's maybe not as impressive now as when I emulated it as a kid. It's still a fun anthology RPG that hasn't really ever been replicated in a similar fashion as far as I know, though with some weird tonal shifts between bad slapstick comedy and extremely dark plotlines (which are usually handled surprisingly well or such an old Super Famicom game, though), and some of the short stories feel like they were not made with the short format in mind and try to do too much in too little time. Not that any of them are bad, and even those of lower quality are short enough as to not be that big of an issue, but very few are particularly memorable either outside of some twists (that I remembered, so they didn't really make much of an impact) and Yoko Shimomura's fantastic soundtrack where every track fits the story they're played in to a tee. The battle system is fine, though maybe more interesting on paper than in practice. I will say it's fun in the modern chapter since it basically becomes a turn-based fighting game, and the combination of traditional JRPG combat of the time with a grid based strategy RPG twist is neat, though in chapters with random encounters the ability to at least be able to skip the often fairly long enemy attack animations would have been very much appreciated.

The two final stories are amazing, though, and I can't really express the coolest parts without going into very explicit spoiler territory, but I'll just say that they subvert JRPG tropes in a really cool way, and then wraps everything up by giving the player a surprising amount of freedom, almost like a proto-World of Ruin (though in some ways done better since it's not quite as ambitious in its scope.) The new final boss is also one of those rare occasions when a rerelease adds something to the story and it actually improves the game by doing so, giving the game a much more satisfying conclusion than the Super Famicom original ever had.

All in all, Live A Live is a pretty good time. A very ambitious, but certainly flawed little RPG that sort of annoys since it feels like it's so close to greatness in a lot of the stories, but just stumbles by the pacing not being up to snuff and battles not being particularly satisfying. Still, this remake at least always looks and sounds a whole lot better than it ever did, and with a surprisingly great english dub as well.

Soundtrack highlight:
Megalomania, of course

XQwtkRx.jpg

22. May 18th | Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (Reverie Series) | PS5 | 3h | ☆☆½
I actually own the original PS1 Door to Phantomile, but I've never played past the first two visions (what the game calls its stages for some reason), and pure convenience (mainly my PS3 not reading discs particularly well and the controller also not being completely reliable anymore) led me to now play this remake instead.

And, you know, it's a fine remake. It looks a bit cheap and the cutscenes lose a lot of power when using in-game graphics rather than just reusing and upscaling the very charming FMVs of the original game, but at least the absolutely fantastic soundtrack and charming, gibberish voice lines haven't been touched at all. The core gameplay of Door to Phantomile also feels basically just like I remebered it, which is to say that it's good. Nothing remarkable to be honest and the game does play basically the same from the first stage to the last, though the difficulty curve feels does amp up at a good pace and the game's short enough that its fairly few gameplay ideas never really grow stale. The 2.5D also still looks great, which does suddenly make me wonder why basically no platformer released after Klonoa tried a similar approach with it's stages that wrap themselves?

Anyway, it's a fine platformer, though there are certainly better playing ones with more interesting mechanics than just jumping around and throwing inflated enemies. Surprisingly, the biggest strength of Door to Phantomile lies in its writing. It's deceptively simple and starts out like the most generic platformer you could ever imagine, but gets progressively more interesting throughout the game, and manages to have some surprisingly though provoking moments and dialogue that will stick with me for quite som time, plus the unbelievably sad ending that I had somehow not spoiled myself on before playing the game. I didn't cry over it or anything, but it certainly made me feel some type of emotion, and isn't that all we want from our games, truly?

Soundtrack highlight:
The Windmill Song

v0YZkyW.jpg

23. May 29th | Nier Replicant ver.1.22474487139… | PS4 | 61h 33m | ☆☆☆
This feels like a game I should have played years ago, but somehow the original Nier (and Automata, despite me having owned it since 2019) has eluded me until now and I'm not really sure why. I've been aware of it, intrigued by it, but it still took me a remaster and even a few years after it released (and I even pre-ordered the White Snow Edition!!!) for me to finally play the game.

And, you know, it's mostly very good. It doesn't play super well and makes you travel between the game's few areas way too much, but I doubt anyone would say Nier is as special as it is because of its great gameplay. No, Nier's strengths almost completely lie in Yoko Taro's writing that makes it a special experience unlike pretty much any other game I've played. It's also the game's biggest flaw at times, but let's focus on the positives first, at least.

The characters are great! The main cast with Nier (or whatever the main character is actually supposed to be called), Grimoire Weiss, Emil and Kainé, despite horny developers giving her awful clothes, are all top tier character with depth and very real flaws that make them interesting, as well as surprisingly great chemistry between each other. Even minor NPCs getting a surprising amount of character (and giving the main character a hilarious amount of shit for agreeing to do all their extremely mundane side quests.) You want the best for all of these people you meet and those you play as, which also heightens the emotions throughout the game, because you want to save them in this clearly dying world, but it also becomes pretty obvious fairly early on that most people aren't going to make it. It's still worth a try, of course, it's the hope that kills you, etc., and doing your best can't at least hurt anyone, right? Well...

Anyway, this is a very intriguing world with very intriguing characters, but also filled with endlessly fascinating lore that even extends outside of the game, forcing me to look up supplementary material to get a big chunk of it, which should be annoying, but somehow in this idiosyncratic game, it just feels right, and becoming this weird Nier scholar that I've now become, all of those weird details I've learned coupled with the great in-game writing just makes the whole thing feel so much more real and worth caring about. And boy, do I get to care and, most of all, feel bad about a lot of things in Nier since Yoko Taro sprinkled so many heart breaking mini narratives throughout the big, also very heart breaking, plot that I was honestly pretty exhausted, and impressed, by the end.

And by "end", I of course mean the first two (of five) endings, where the first is "just" a very good RPG story, and the second completely recontextualises the entire thing (and maybe goes a bit overboard to make you look like a monster, but it's mostly done very well), and just like Live A Live's final chapters subverses a lot of tropes in such a cool way and sort of like a fantasy Bioshock asks the question why we really just go along with everything we do in video games. Insanely cool approach to video game writing, and also just video game design in general, though the game does start to drag quite a bit after this. Having to beat the entire second half of the game again for ending B was sort of a chore, but a third time for Ending C (and the very slow final dungeon a fourth time for Ending D) certainly soured me a bit on the experience as a whole, as did Yoko Taro just pulling new concepts from out of nowhere to make these Endings C & D work which really took away all of the gravitas of what they were trying to achieve for me personally, and the added bits of story on the way to said endings didn't really add much of note to the story, unlike the B Route. The new Ending E is pretty cool, though, even if I'd be lying if I said I completely understood what was going on.

So, an extremely intriguing and thought provoking game for those first two endings, but the much weaker writing for the others and repetition in getting to them does sort of sour me on the experience (which might be why I took a months long break from the game and actually only played the Ending E section in May), while the gameplay is pretty so-so from the first minute to the last (though it is very cool that the game just becomes a text adventure those two times). I'd still say this is a pretty incredible game for the most part thanks to Routes A and B, despite the stumblings during C and D (and general confusion during E, though I honestly though it was a much better conclusion to the story than D, despite how admittedly cool that one ends on a conceptual level.) The destination might not have been great, but the journey there was one that I'll remember for a long time.

Oh, and it has one of the best soundtracks ever written and composed as well. Really could have used one or two more songs, though, since a few of them are reused a bit too often.

Soundtrack highlight:
Shadowlord

Currently Playing:
Marvel Ultimate Alliance (PC)
Final Fantasy XVI (PS5)
Street Fighter 6 (PS5)

Last edited:

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
Main Post

Have one more game for June plus an update to one I've already beaten. Both Sonic games of course.

L6lWE3l.jpg

36. Sonic Origins Plus (Nintendo Switch) - June 27th
Gonna count this all as one game since I've already counted 3&K on its own and playing as Amy is a pretty new experience. Don't really have too much to say here, overall I had a great time playing through this collection. I never had too many issues with it at launch aside from the Sonic 3 conversion and that holds true here. Amy is also a ton of fun to play as, if not super unique in terms of playstyle but still a nice addition.

4/5

Sonic Frontiers: Sonic's Birthday Bash Update (Nintendo Switch) - June 27th
This was a surprisingly great update to Frontiers that added way more than I ever would have expected and it's all great stuff too. In terms of content the biggest things are probably the new Koco which are some of the best little platforming challenges in the entire game. They defintiely felt a lot more challenging than what was in the base game and made far better use of mechanics like wall running than than the base game ever did. The action challenges were pretty neat too, they definitely challenge you to have a good idea of each island's level design and getting the S rank on all of them was really satifying. And of course the reward you get for getting all the S ranks is well worth it too. The spindash in Frontiers is absolutely game changing, it's like a mixture of the SA1, Lost World, Generations Classic Sonic, and Shadow spindashes and it feels amazing to use, especially with air decelaration turned off. It's absolutely broken in the best of ways and lets you absolutely fly over the islands. I was already a big fan of Frontiers as it was but after this update I'm very confident in saying it's one of the best games in the series. I can't wait to see how update 3 changes things.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
I've been an indie game rush lately so a lot of small games.

c5R6%2Bh.png

30. Find me
Unfortunately a screamer. The atmosphere is certainly intriguing, but it's just a jump scare.

dora_airpressure_title.gif

31. Air Pressure
Short visual novel about a person who's in a stale relationship and is very disatisfied, yet dependant on it. It strikes a chord and it's certainly interesting but it's so depressing, probably because I know how that feels.

image-asset.png

32. Boa Retina
One of those "barely a game" (at least until the end. Somewhat) experiences that I do end up enjoying because visually it's stunning, thought, TW should be used, it's largely about transphobia and the language isn't kind. Enjoyed it. I downloaded it ages ago since it was included in one of those massive Itch.io bundles.

The-Floor-Is-Breathing-game-download.jpg

33. The Floor is Breathing
Now this is how you make an unnerving game. It's a game about how murderer slowly loses her mind prior to her capture, and it shows it very graphically. I enjoyed it big time, it's really well made.

8ENhrm.jpg

34. Attachment not Found
This is actually an horror game, a very short one at that, a very realistic scenario. I do have an issue (probably a pet peeve) of games putting cinematic quality before gameplay, and this one has that issue, but other than that is an etnertatining and creepy experience.

3Re51d.png

35. Girlfriend Simulator
Yes, imagine that. Disturbing depiction of... you know what? play it. It takes like half an hour, it has several endings. It's about a guy who wakes up and finds out someone there claiming to be his girlfriend is taking care of him. The problem is... he doesn't remembers her.

OShtQz.png

36. Please Follow
I... I don't know. I think it's about sex.

cc338a50-3131-4fde-8c6b-e22bc9232675-diablo_iv_trailer_lilith_02.png

37. Diablo 4
I am going to be honest with you: Diablo 4 is outstanding. It's a great game, the best Diablo game so far. It's really fun, even the plot is cool, the art direction and the gameplay is really great. I don't know about endgame, I'll definitely play it but the campaign is so damn long I couldn't be arsed yesterday. I am worried though it does not do enough to add variety, and Diablo 3 tired me rather fast, but the seasons were a fun way to come back every three or so months. It's also going to be a live service game, so we know what to expect.

The monetization is hilariously bad.

mQyJHK.png

38. Don't Die Alone
Really fun and dare I say scary VN about those dumb chain messages from the old myspace games. Really recommended!

Main Post

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
93. Sonic CD (PS5) - Bad future run, USA soundtrack - Felt like doing a run with the other soundtrack, plus getting the "bad future" on Stardust Speedway (its just much cooler for the Metal Sonic race). Honestly, I still dont quite get why this gets hate these days... sure a couple of acts suck but the core game still rocks. And while I prefer the Japanese soundtrack, I still think the USA soundtrack rocks as well.

94. Sonic 2 (PS5) - All stages cleared, had to restart to do both Mystic Cave Act 2 and Hidden Palace. I adore this game, while Metropolis sucks (way too slow paced with cheap enemies), the rest of the game more than makes up for it. Great stage design, great length, and an all round great soundtrack. I love that we finally got Hidden Palace in Sonic 2 to some extent, it makes this (and the iPhone port before it) the definitive versions in my eyes.

Next up:

Tetris Effect VR
Runner
Mudrunners
Monster Hunter Rise
Rez Infinite (trophies)
Lost more VR stuff
MGS Rising
Splatterhouse (PS3)
Avengers
NMH3
Bayonetta 3
Sonic Frontiers
Plague's Tale

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
June report (I don't think I'm going to finish any other games this month):

11. System Shock (PC, 2023) - 24:27 - June 25

A big question I haven't yet been able to answer: why am I avoiding Zelda? I put a few hours into it and felt like I was enjoying it, but ever since meeting up with Purah again it's been a struggle to spend a lot of time in Hyrule. Maybe it's because it feels a little too similar to Breath of the Wild? Or maybe I'm just not in a Zelda mood in the moment. Whatever it is, it was weird that I even fired up MINECRAFT of all things instead of spending more time with Zelda. It's weird.

System Shock, despite some incredibly frustrating sections, is my leading candidate for game of the year so far. A few design decisions belie its 90s origins, but it plays really well for the most part, and some of those 90s design decisions--the lack of a quest log or mission waypointing in general--are actually quite welcome. System Shock 2 is one of my favourite games of all time so perhaps this shouldn't have come as a surprise. I look forward to the remastered version of SS2 whenever that comes out (probably not for a few years though).

I think Brotato is the next game to make it onto my completion list; at this point it's really just about deciding when I'm "done" with the game. But it's been an amazing way to kill a half-hour every so often. I think I'm more addicted to this than I was even to Vampire Survivors and HoloCure. Aside from that, the main game I have my eye on is the remake of Atelier Marie. I've beaten the PS2 version of the game before, so it'll be neat to see what Gust has done to update the game for modern sensibilities.

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
It's been a pretty slow month for me (for which I blame TotK, still going with that), but here's June's update. Master post here.

header.jpg

33. Strangeland (PC - Steam) | 2 June 2023 | 6/10
Completed with 100% of achievements unlocked. Well, I've finally managed to find a Wadjet Eye that I didn't particularly enjoy. In fairness, much of that is down to the setting and aesthetic - Strangeland is point-and-click puzzle adventure in a psychological horror form, which really isn't appealing to me, but the Wadjet Eye pedigree drew me to try the game regardless. More objectively, there's not really much to the story here and taking place across a relatively small number of areas, the puzzles are mostly quite simple. I can't, however, fault the game on its dedication to the horror genre - the pixelart graphics are as painstakingly detailed as ever and (optional) commentary and explanatory text call out frequent points of fine detail in the setting and dialogue that I'm sure would be entirely overlooked by many, while still working effectively to craft a convincingly coherent, if fantastical world.

header.jpg

34. Planet of Lana (Xbox Series X (Game Pass)) | 7 June 2023 | 7/10
Complete playthrough with all secret shrines located. The obvious takeaway from Planet of Lana is that it's graphically stunning, with a vibrant, hand-painted art style that really pops, while also being impressively functional in highlighting key area - crucial long grass that provides a place of safety is immediately obvious for example. Its gameplay is a relatively straightforward puzzle-platformer, never overly taxing but still satisfying to progress through, while gradually building an emotional bond between the protagonist and a small animal companion that's crucial to much of the puzzle-solving. Levels are all very well-paced, never too lengthy and introducing new mechanics at a sensible pace - just enough to keep things interesting without too steep of a difficulty curve. Ultimately the game isn't doing anything particularly new - but what it does, it does well.

header.jpg

35. NUTS (PC - Steam) | 13 June 2023 | 6/10
Completed with 100% of achievements unlocked. While photography-based games are becoming something of an expanding niche, NUTS's premise as a "squirrel surveillance" game is still an intriguing one. The game tasks the player with tracking squirrels' night-time movements across a series of forest areas with strategically-placed cameras, with an environmentalist story providing some narrative drive. While fairly simple, this mechanic works pretty well, with a couple of minor twists - though the later scenarios (there are six) do start to show its limits, as with their longer length the downtime between placing cameras (via first-person exploration), watching back the recorded footage, repositioning and repeating becomes evident - the traipse to and from the caravan observation point becomes increasingly tedious, adding little to the gameplay (though the inclusion of "walking simulator" in the game's official description does, I suppose, give fair warning of this). Overall, NUTS is decent while it lasts (somewhere around 3 hours), but I can't see it sustaining an experience that's much longer than that.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
46: Harvest Moon (SNES). End: 6/30/2023.

It's hard to believe there was a time when farming sims were this niche. (That's a joke.)

This surprisingly influential game definitely has its charms, but it really is wild that this game became so incredibly influential. It really shows how flexible the video game industry actually can be. And its simplistic gameplay loop can be very appealing. Definitely not perfect by any means (especially its localization), but a charming little game that actually succeeded beyond its wildest dreams.

Deleted member 32615

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Bit behind on updating this, excuse the large post

45d2effb58c2ba5a2155b7b6f4326009.jpg

Game 29: Shinobi 3: Return of the Ninja Master (Genesis) (3 Hours) (May 29th)
Pure excellence in action distilled into 3 tight hours only let down by it's vehicles levels that do not function that well at all

ee51fce06e2c58e0cac874de44b57035.jpg

Game 30: Doom (PC) (3 Hours) (June 5th)
The grand daddy of first person shooters, don't let anyone tell you it's aged poorly

8089af32cb1a7ad8340c2c8cdc6963d4.jpg

Game 31: Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4) (17 Hours) (June 11th)

For a game so many said makes you feel like Spider-Man, it's quite impressive the amount of levels that don't make you feel like Spider-Man

216c7a1fad5dc4b1a2be2df9820337af.jpg

Game 32: Mega Man 2 (NES) (2 Hours) (June 12th)

Went very quickly from "Mega Man is not for me" to "I do not understand the love for Mega Man"

2b12c0d47f5821a5adb3bfd973d0f708.jpg

Game 33: Gunstar Heroes (Genesis) (5 Hours) (June 12th)

Pure excellence in action distilled into 5 ball-busting hours and more creativity than anyone can truly afford

69744f719acb4dc62d5d5c24fed3c78c.jpg

Game 34: Final Fantasy XVI (PS5) (32 Hours) (June 29th)

It went straight into my Top 5, not much more to say

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
95. Pikmin 2 HD (Switch) - All stages cleared, all collectibles collected. Loved it, a really good series of stages with some great puzzles and the game just on the whole incredibly addictive. I enjoyed it more than the original, but...
THE CAVES! These are the main challenge of the game, due to having a limited number of Pikmin available (you cant really get more when in caves, bar a couple of opportunities). This means you could lose a number of Pikmin at once, thanks to an explosion, getting crushed etc. Some of the bosses can wipe you out in a blink of an eye!
I got the hang of them over time, and aside a few specific bosses, it was mostly smooth sailing. That last boss though... that one took me a fair number of tries to nail down.

Now onto Pikmin 3... which I recall being pretty easy when I played it back on the Wii U.

Next up:

Tetris Effect VR
Runner
Mudrunners
Monster Hunter Rise
Rez Infinite (trophies)
Lost more VR stuff
MGS Rising
Splatterhouse (PS3)
Avengers
NMH3
Bayonetta 3
Sonic Frontiers
Plague's Tale

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
( as part of being blessed by a friend with a code for the following game, I was given specific request to go all out on my thoughts for this next one )

30. Final Fantasy XVI ★★

1891201fa2c35-screensoydc1.png

If there's one thing I can respect the FF series for, it's the continuing trend to take gambles with mainline entries and not be beholden to one specific formula.
Slowly though, this approach starts looking less like bold ambition and more like struggling to adapt the scope of globe trotting JRPG adventures to the HD era and beyond.
As such FF seems almost reactionary these days, I've seen a lot of interesting takes surrounding the nature of this franchise in the present day, with FF16 itself as the focal point of "what IS final fantasy?"
Let me tell ya, I'm not deeply invested in the series which gives me a nice little perch to witness the drama unfold, in the past week alone I've seen claims from fans that the series was actually never much of a JRPG *quizzical eyebrow raise*, or at least a particularly deep one anyway.
The one thing I can take away from this is that there's a LOT of perspectives out there, which makes sense seeing how varied the mainline numbered titles have been.
So if I were to try and weave some connecting tissue between these titles, the post FF7 world of the series may well be more about scope, story and spectacle more than anything else.
All of this preamble has a point I swear, it serves the foundation to the enigma that is FF16, a game that feels very confused as to just what the heck it wants to be.
This game is a play for the Western market, Square want FF to be BIG again, it's taking noted inspiration from titles like God of War (2018), The Witcher 3, and perhaps even most specifically from prestige TV (why yes, the devs DID all have to watch series 1-4 of game of thrones prior to main development).
On paper this makes sense to reinvent, re-establish and broaden the reach of FF, the execution however rings somewhat hollow.

The first point to address with FF16 is trying to nail down what genre this game even is, if you thought "action RPG" then you're wrong…but also right? Maybe? Cripes, this is gonna be a long one.
More than anything, FF16 aims to actually be a character action game, having brought on board one of DMCV's lead combat designers to lay the groundwork for its system , we've got stingers, launchers and even off brand devil triggers. So is this is a more linear affair with breakneck to the point pacing? Sometimes yes, often no.
FF doesn't fully shake off its role playing elements, perhaps it should've because what they opted for here is one of the most comically shallow implementations of levelling, equipment and overall character building I've seen in some time.
After a few hours of gameplay I begun to consider"wait, is God of War Ragnarök a better RPG than this FF game?", and this is from me, a guy who considers those levelling and loot aspects of nu god of war akin to superfluous number crunching to arbitrarily gate off content via busywork. FF16 hands you some laughable incremental upgrades to your sword, sneaking up 5-10 damage at a time with each blacksmith refresh, feeling just as insubstantial as the level ups that boast a whooshing of all those stats that totally just increased but you wont really feel. Even the way the game doles out this exp feels like a sleight of hand, a farce of sorts, with certain story event combat encounters basically hoofing you up to where the game needs/wants you to be, while sidequests and optional combat dribbles droplets of exp by comparison. Effectively the game has a set challenge level it aims to maintain throughout like other action games, which makes the RPG elements feel like they're half arsed into here out of an obligation to the brand name and fan expectations, that ultimately mean very little.

1891201e15b75-screens13dty.png

So who's levelling up here? Why that'd be Clive, more on the man himself later, for now let's focus on his gameplay. Clive's combat loop is snappy but shallow, this seems to be by design, enemies basically come in two flavours. First are fodder, pure fodder, the majority of foes exist to be blazed through in a manner that makes musou mooks look like they're putting up a fighting resistance, in other action titles you still have to somewhat respect the basic grunts even if they're easily juggled and combo'd into oblivion, here no respect is required and this isn't the worst idea as a way to implement good ol' trash mobs into an action game formula and give you a power trip, I just don't need to power trip as often as this game thinks I do.
Then there's the more durable foes, denoted by their addition of a stagger meter and an inherent sponginess, these are the ones you actually keep your eye on and serve as the challenge of an encounter. The loop is as follows, wail on enemy until stagger bar depletes, unleash all your DPS cooldown moves while they're staggered, repeat roughly two to three more times depending on enemy HP.
There are a few wrinkles here, certain cooldown based attacks are better to deplete stagger than dealing damage, and at half stagger bar depletion the enemy will recoil, whereupon you can use your Garuda grapple ability to very briefly topple them somewhat. You can feel that kind of MMO like flowchart loop in play here coming from the FF14 devs in a more active form.

Now apply that to basically every non fodder enemy in the game, add in the fact that you have a dodge counter that's fairly forgiving in a way where you don't so much as scope out how your foe attacks, you just tap dodge when they do a thing, and the main issue here starts to rear its head. For all the "bigger" enemies there are, the pattern of dealing with them all is effectively the same, only the full blown mid bosses up the ante enough to feel different, and even they run by the same stagger/spend resources loop, leading to a very formulaic form of action game.
But at least you can style on them right? Right?!
Well, in a limited sense I guess, Clive has access to a mighty one ground combo, one aerial combo, all involve mashing square. You can spice it up by interweaving magic bursts with triangle that basically just ups the DPS slightly, charge attacks, dog commands and the slow trickle of eikon powers which are the closest you get to evolving variety in the combat gameplay.
It's not a bad effort by any means, and perhaps in a game that was about as long as the usual action game staples I'd be more forgiving of it, but this game ain't 10 hours long, it's 40, and it's damn near shown its entire hand by hour 4. When the game finally graces you with a new eikon it's a cause for excitement, a short lived rush of seeing what few new tools have been rationed out and often a realisation that most of them don't hold up in overall usefulness to the earlier ones anyway (Bahamut pls), and more importantly, don't actually change the gameplay loop up in any substantial manner. In a genre where player expression is key, there's just not enough ways to express your playstyle.

1891200f9b893-screenslxfsa.png

Speaking of things that are repetitive and fail to evolve across 40 hours, let's look at the world and level design. An important distinction to present both "world" and "level" here, because the game is structured in a way where there's around four explorable regions you'll be dipping in and out of across the game, alongside linear main mission stages that funnel you through corridors of combat.

To tackle the world first, expanses of basic flat topography and cardboard "villages" that are lucky to have one building you can enter, interactivity is low, rewards for exploring are dismal, invisible walls abound and the faux open world areas are so utterly buried by the competition that I don't know what else to say outside of that they feel like they're three console generations behind. There are some lovely vistas and structures perpetually out of reach, nice for photo mode if nothing else, the actual areas you roam directly such as the grassy plains, dense forest thickets and grotty medieval villages are well presented with current cutting edge visuals, albeit lacking any sort of unique artistic flair I'd expect from the series unless it's one of those afformentioned backdrops.
As a world Valisthea rarely invokes a sense of wonder or awe, grandiose capitals where the art direction finally pops off only exist in a few cutscenes, if you're lucky a couple of the linear stages might jaunt through a restricted portion of them before dropping into a mine or cavern, it's kind of frustrating because the game teases these areas and moments of visual awe, that's just it though, they're mere fleeting glimpses.

It's also a very dead world, putting aside the thematic appropriateness of portions of the continent dying out into a lifeless grey dustbowl, this game will find a way to make villages abandoned, populations limited and the fate of the world starts feeling like the fate of some pub in a marshland, a brothel, your secret club house and a vast desert. This serves as a stark contrast to the political machinations presented to you via exposition when the game remembers its game of thrones angle, a lady whose role is to be one of those older Fire Emblem games pre chapter narrators will talk over a map screen and a bunch of markers moving about, indicating a far more interesting tale of warfare that falls mostly outside of Clive's own journey to which the player is beholden to.
Interestingly the start of this game actually does feel like it's leaning into the politics and warfare angle, heck I'd even say the first few hours of the game are pretty damn good in both story and pacing, with intriguing plot points, strong character introductions and a good amount of world building setup framed around the power of FF summons as weapons of mass destruction. This slowly falls away in favour of a story about how comically cruel life is for the bearers/slave class for half the game, which then gradually gives way to stock JRPG story #1256 about Gods and Men rife with tedious monologues, paper thin villains, lore dumps and watching more cutscenes than the law should allow.

At some point I'm sure they just threw up their hands at telling the HBO prestige series story and fell right back into shonen anime, and look I like the latter way more than the former honestly, but the two are not compatible. There's a point in the midgame where they're trying to have their cake and eat it to, as old geezers at a roundtable discuss the state of the realm while your own adventure becomes Kaiju anime power up time. This styles clash culminating with a segment about 3/4s into the game where the most interesting off screen saga of another continents royal family suddenly smashes right into Clive's anime arc and it's like I'm back experiencing final story Sonic Adventure 2, if you know, you know.

Every element I've mentioned thus far is exasperated by the game's uneven pacing, outside of the early game doing a good job at getting the ball rolling, the momentum comes to a screeching halt far too often. The devs likened the experience to a rollercoaster ride, makes sense of course, you can't go full speed all the time, downtime is necessary. The execution of this rollercoaster though is akin to the Simpson's carny spectacular "the toothchipper", stop and start to a painful degree.

y0fOk31.gif

Sidequests are banking heavily on how much you value a small bit of worldbuilding or side character development seeing that the game's RPG elements are MIA thus rendering 90% of quest rewards functionally meaningless , and with my own interest in the world and story rapidly diminishing as the game drew on it became very apparent just how bottom of the barrel the actual gameplay of these sidequests are. Go to location and fight the same enemies you always fight, go to (multiple) NPCs and experience flatly directed cutscenes of heads n'torsos yammering back and forth , head to location to grab three handfuls of dirt off the floor at indicated spots etc.
Bafflingly there's no circumstances where you can save yourself some time with prior exploration, if a quest needs you to pick up three dandelions by a riverbank you stumbled past in a desperate search for exploration in the overworld hours ago, you wont ever reach an NPC like "oh, I already have what you need!" because enemies, items and characters will only pop up in these otherwise empty lots when the sidequests demand it.

Many an ominous mini boss placeholder room is found curiously quiet until the trigger is activated, inaccessible gates awkwardly blocking off entire overworld connecting routes until Clive gets sidequest permission to smack some orcs there and go "yep, this place sure is empty huh", no items you find scooped off the ground play into any collectathon quests (oh boy, 2 gil!) , dead ends galore and certain enemies only dropping quest specific parts when that quest is being tackled. It's like they actively tried to make the sidequests as tedious as possible, they do however have the good sportsmanship to mark any sidequests that actually grant something useful (like holding more potions or healing more per potion) with a plus sign like "hey, this one is worth actually checking out".
Worst part is this quest structure is not isolated to the optional sidequest realm, as you truck towards the mid game, these back and forthing NPC chats start forming the bulk of actual main story quests, some of the most tedious lows I've endured in years, a segment of quests culminating in pickpocket kiddos being the absolute nadir.

Would you believe that segment above is bookended by two of the biggest spectacle bosses in video game history? (rollercoaster mode back in effect!)
See despite all my frothing negativity here, the true pain is seeing the game that could've been, because despite my many, many issues, the skeleton of a good game is in here. Every now and then the spectacular highs burst from the muck of mediocrity, I could get all curmudgeonly again and point out how the ball bustlingly hype Eikon Kaiju brawls are basically just Asura's Wrath with a higher budget but weaker QTE implementation, credit where it's due though, if you're here to experience what it would be like playing a FF summon attack, then boy do Square have a treat for you, simplified battle system be damned, these sections are a triumph of scope and spectacle.
Sometimes the linear action stages throw in some funky mid bosses like some nutter with a powder keg cannon, classic FF foes given an action game makeover, one on one swordfights that scramble into desperate arena filling AoE attacks, and it all must be said that while said combat loop is repetitive, the core combat feels good albeit visually overly busy in a way that can and will trip you up.

1891201eef713-screensuzep7.png

Clive's voice actor is pretty phenomenal, his delivery elevates the game during emotional scenes, add Cid to the list here as well, the two bouncing off each other is the game's dialogue at its most enthralling. While the lack of a true party is felt in both main story and combat, there's an admirable effort to give smaller scale NPCs and character archetypes a level of spotlight you don't often see, where even the moody blacksmith gets more development through sidequests than entire party members have gotten in other FF games (and I ain't just talking about blatant filler ones like FF6 Umaro).

It's a great game for LADS, I can't even touch upon one of the character based elements the game does best here because spoilers, so I'll just settle for pointing out the highs of Gav and Uncle, no FF7R anime grunting to be heard.
It's not so great for LASSES, I wont deep dive this, there's gonna be plenty of articles and videos on this topic I expect, FF16 does its ladies pretty dirty by comparison, Jill could be the number 2 character of this story alongside Clive, yet the game constantly bungles any big moment she could have and sidelines her far too frequently.
When it comes down to it, FF16 asks for 40 hours of your time with a few brief highs, a lot of middling middles and some mind numbing lows, if it weren't for the visual spectacle the entire game would feel like it was out of time, chasing trends from multiple other games including some that are nearly a decade old and still do it better. In aiming for mainstream appeal and trying to do everything, it doesn't do any of it better than the rest. If going for a sum of its parts angle, I'm left looking at a bunch of parts that are "good enough" shackled to the worst pacing in years and a complete abandonment of the JRPG elements that arguably define the franchise itself.

This is my Sonic Frontiers of 2023, there's an appreciated effort to re-establish an inconsistent franchise via a bold new angle, except the execution just isn't there, moments of hype and spectacle can only take me so far,. You could look back at some other games I played this year in this very thread and think "hypocrisy! you enjoyed Asura's Wrath despite its shallowness, you praised Octopath 2 in spite of its fairly basic map design and by golly gosh you loved that Xenoblade 3 DLC with a similar repeated MMO combat loop you decryed both this year and last year!", and yes a lot of times when I'm playing the comparison game I'm left trying to nail down why one can land for me where another stumbles despite similarities.
Is it just how much you're vibing with a game? do those other titles make up for their lesser points in a myriad of positive ways (yes), I can see the angle that for some FF16 has clear issues they acknowledge and they will happily enjoy it in spite of that, the only way to really find out is to play it for yourself.

And if you actually read all this and thought it took a long time to say what was obvious, then congrats, I just gave you part of the FF16 experience free of charge.
Also slavery is bad, there you go, that's another nugget you can take home with you.

Apr 9, 2022
Finally free from the shackles of Zelda (a bit sooner than I thought tbh) I thought it'd be a good time for a quick update. (I'll write more about the games when I get some time)

18: If Found... - DREAMFEEL - Steam Deck

65ff033c10dc13c573560e545cb81648.jpg

Just thinking back to playing this game is stirring up the emotions again. Wonderful game with gorgeous art and a great soundtrack.

19: Hotline Miami - Dennaton Games - Steam Deck

256x256.png

Replay of a classic.

20: Perfect Gold: The Alchemy of Happiness - Yangyang Mobile - Steam Deck

f0ee61283c8e0f98241bff1c3ca0f176.png

A very cute VN.

21: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - Nintendo - Nintendo Switch

256x256.png

Current GOTY

Ongoing games

1: The Callisto Protocol
2: Octopath Traveller 2

Main post

Memory Pak

Aug 29, 2018
Really starting to fall behind now. Wild to see Ganepark32 already past 52, and shadowman16 on pace to double the challenge though!
GsalhUK.png

12. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 (Switch, 2021) ★★★★☆
Remake of two classics, one of which was new to me. The core design of short, fast-paced bursts still holds up very well, and naturally invites retrying to improve. The iconic soundtracks return largely intact, with some appropriate modern additions. It still controls like a dream, but the decreased floatiness took some getting used to. I do like how they've modernised some aspects, like renaming the Mute Grab to Weddle Grab to honour the Deaf skater who invented the trick. Similarly, the game emphasises a new generation of skaters (such as Nyjah Huston and Aori Nishimura), which feels like an appropriate passing of the torch as Tony Hawk and his late 90s contemporaries wind down their athletic careers.

o2bDKi3.png

13. Graze Counter GM (2023, Switch) ★★★★☆
The chibi character art and sub-par story initially turned me away, but this remake of Graze Counter has a lot more to offer than it lets on. It's a short, fast-paced bullet hell with precise controls, several modes, and 16 subtly different ships (including one which unsubtly nods to DoDonPachi Blissful Death). By just barely letting enemy fire graze your ship (think Psyvariar Delta), you gain access to the titular Graze Counter. This short blast works in tandem with the less frequently earned Break mode to plow your way through dense curtains of bright pink fire. I do wish your hitbox was more obviously marked, but it's a generous, newcomer-friendly entry in a daunting genre.

nBoEA5y.png

14. Picross S Genesis & Master System Edition (2021, Switch) ★★★☆☆
Another solid Picross S title from Jupiter, with dozens of hours of puzzles. That said, it does feel like a missed opportunity to have all these classic Sega franchises to draw on, but not use any of their iconic tunes. If the fear is for the music to spoil puzzle outcome, then at least play a sound effect from the corresponding game when the puzzle is solved. They're also still recycling the puzzle solutions across regular and Mega Picross modes, and keep insisting on including no more than 30 Color Picross puzzles - despite this clearly being the best new mode since Picross S3.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Main Post

2x1_NSwitch_TloZTearsOfTheKingdom_Gamepage_image1600w.jpg

8. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

I dropped my entire backlog for this game. It was worth every second. The Zelda team did the impossible and made a botw sequel better in every single way. This game is perfect and there will be nothing that can beat it for me this year.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Really starting to fall behind now. Wild to see Ganepark32 already past 52, and shadowman16 on pace to double the challenge though!

Thanks! Though to be fair a good number of mine are retro titles, which when you know what your doing can be finished fairly quick (though I do tend to play through most 2-3 times for the heck of it!)
But right now, I expect my completion to slow a bit as my time is divided between Street Fighter VI's World Tour (which is taking me hours to do, because I keep doing random battles!), MH Rise (60+ hours in and Im still not done with the base game!) and Sonic Frontiers & Pikmin 3 (ok, making good progress on these!)
Basically, I wanna make space for Yakuza in November, as my progress halts completely when that's released! I just hope I can get Mario and Spidey 2 done before then!

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Finished up June. Main post is here.

June (24/52)
22. Planet of Lana - Xbox Series X - 5 hours, 14 minutes
23. Slayers X: Terminal Aftermath: Vengeance of the Slayer - Xbox Series X - 4 hours, 40 minutes
24. The Big Con - Xbox Series X - 5 hours, 19 minutes

I'm pretty behind where I need to be to actually hit 52, the long RPG games have derailed my progress. May not make it this year, we'll just have to see.

July (30/25)
25. Final Fantasy 16 - PS5 - 43 hours
26. McPixel 3 - Xbox Series X - 4 hours, 9 minutes
27. McPixel - PC - 1 hour, 24 minutes
28. Toem - Xbox Series X - 4 hours, 15 minutes
29. Double Dragon Gaiden: Rise of the Dragons - Xbox Series X - 2 hours, 19 minutes
30. YEAH! YOU WANT "THOSE GAMES," RIGHT? SO HERE YOU GO! NOW, LET'S SEE YOU CLEAR THEM! - Switch - 5 hours

Last edited:

RedShift

Oct 27, 2017
Main Post
Week: 27, Games played: 29

Thought Zelda had thrown me off track to hitting 52 but a few shorter games + COVID isolation have brought me right back. I am a bit burnt out on big open world games now though, but I did also buy Elden Ring in the Steam Sale...

20. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Switch)

Haven't really been consumed by a game like this since… well, BotW probably. Loved the building mechanics, loved exploring the depths. Despite really enjoying it, it has made my heart pine for the more traditional 3D Zelda games a bit, but it's still pretty undeniably my GotY so far.

21. Oxenfree (Steam Deck)

I bought this years and years ago and finally got round to it. Definitely fits into that same vibe niche as Life is Strange / Night in the Woods. Had a good time with it, will probably play the sequel when it comes out.

22. Limbo (Steam Deck)

I played Inside last year, and was worried this would be a step back, but I'm glad I played it. The black and white aesthetic looks amazing, and I really enjoyed it even if it didn't capture me quite like Inside did.

23. Metroid Prime (Switch)

Great remaster of a great game. The visual upgrades hit that sweet spot of it looking like my younger eyes remember back on the Cube. Layered world design that is only matched by Dark Souls and Hollow Knight IMO. Also, the Artifact hunt is good design, and if you're paying attention you should have most of them before you get the Phazon suit and do a clear up.

24. Celeste (Classic) (PICO-8 - emulated on Switch)

Probably the shortest thing I'd count as a 'game' for this list, I never played it when I played the "real" Celeste, so thought I'd go back now I've done all the hearts. It's a fun little time. I'll play Lami's Trek at some point…

25.Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising (Switch)

Another old favourite. I found I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the first game, something about the mission design just doesn't quite satisfy me the same way, but it's still an amazing game and so glad it's got another chance at life.

26. ElecHead (Steam Deck)

Lovely puzzle platformer that doesn't outstay its welcome, it has one cool core mechanic (your character touching surfaces powers them and anything connected to them), and it builds on that.

27. LEGO Builder's Journey (PC)

Why is the first game that made me really glad I bought a RTX card a LEGO puzzle game? Great little game that looks absolutely stunning with ray tracing on, tells a nice little wordless story, and has some fun puzzles.

28. Dredge (75% Steam Deck, 25% PC)

Finally got around to this after several months, had a lovely time. Great spooky vibes, a nice twist, and actually fun fishing mechanics. Would recommend

29. Sonic CD (Android)

Last year I played 1, 2, and 3+K for the first time, finally got around to this one (mobile seems to be the only way to play this without shelling out for Origins sadly, but was fine with a video out cable + gamepad). My ranking would be (3+K) >>>>CD>1>2. 3+K is the only one I'd consider a really good platformer to be honest. Also bought Mania in the Steam Sale, looking forward to giving it a go later this year (Previously played it a little on Switch but didn't get too far).

Next up: probably Resident Evil 7? Oh, and making my way through TLoU p2.

Ganepark32

Nov 21, 2021
Time for my end of June/start of July update. June ended up being a quieter month as I juggled continuing to play Tears of the Kingdom but also starting FFXVI and try out some smaller games I had waiting to be played. Hopefully make some progress towards completing the bigger games but for now, mainly smaller titles.

56. Warhammer 40,000: Boltgun (XSS) - June 6th
I'd gone back and forth over picking this up as I'm not familiar with Warhammer of any iteration but ended up biting the bullet and snagged it when it launch and while it started out well enough, by the time I was half way through, I'd started to tire of it. The missions started to feel very samey, locations and enemies within each chapter felt the same and it just started to lose me the longer it went on. It's a similar fate that befell Prodeus last year and I'm starting to think that this style of old school shooter maybe isn't for me. Thought the visuals and especially the sprite work was great but yeah, I was very much happy to be done with it by the end.

57. Slayers X: Terminal Aftermath: Vengance of the Slayer (XSS) - June 13th
Much in the same way I tired of Boltgun, this one fell the same way. Playing these two back to back maybe wasn't the best idea but it showed that the aforementioned game was definitely a step up quality wise for me as with this, I was ready to be done with it after a couple of levels. Just didn't like the way it felt to play and the aesthetic didn't gel with me either.

58. Sludge Life (NS) - June 16th
A game I'd had sitting in my library for some time and I just thought that with the sequel launching on PC, I'd finally get round to it. It was fine. I had thought the graffiti aspect of the game would've been a bit more fleshed out than it was, even with some spots being tricky to get to. Visually I liked the general look of things but kind of like with Slayers X, the theme wasn't really to my liking here either. Maybe could have done with a bit more substance for my liking but as I say, it was fine to play if a little fiddly on the Switch Lite because of the sticks not giving as refined movement as I'd like.

59. Smushi Come Home (NS) - June 16th
This is one I'd followed on Twitter for some time and was so happy to see it get it's release during the Wholesome Direct a few weeks back. I really liked the aesthetics of the game, they really did a good job of making it look really nice and giving that option to have the visuals be more pixelated or not was a nice touch. I thought the platforming controls were largely decent enough considering you're traversing several larger environments, they were maybe a little imprecise and the camera did have a habit of getting stuck in places making some sections a little difficult to maneuver through but by and large, it did the job well enough. Some sections, particularly those in the caves, did get a bit tiresome because there seemed to be a lot of back and forth and little to guide you beyond remembering where you'd come from. But it was a wholesome little game that took about 3 hours or so to finish and I enjoyed it. It doesn't match up to say A Short Hike but its one of those games that's nice to just cozy up with at a weekend and just play through and you'll have a good time with.

60. Grapple Dog (XSS) - June 26th
Started this late last year, played a little more at the start of the year and dropped it before coming back to finish it. Having it sitting on my Games tab on my Xbox was just rubbing me the wrong way so I endeavored to finished it and while it started out fine, its another one of those games that for me, I felt got away from me by the end. Initially I really liked the novelty of the grapple mechanic and some of the ways you'd use it to try slingshot yourself through levels or sections quickly or to get to secrets but it felt like it had used a lot of its tricks early on and the late stages just dragged with them being longer and requiring more finessed movements that weren't the easiest to pull off. This was especially true in some of the boss encounters and it's where I really just had to push through because I just wanted it to finish. It's a shame as the game looks fantastic and the initial gameplay loop is great but it overstayed its welcome for me.

61. White Shadows (XSS) - June 28th
Picked this up on sale as I'd been curious about it for a while but it got shadowdropped during one of the Game Awards a few years back and I'd kind of forgotten till I saw it on sale. Its another one of those games aping the Limbo/Inside gameplay loop, perhaps more obviously than some because of the black and white visuals, but doesn't managed to be as cohesive or feel as good to play as those games did. Visually, I quite liked the style of things and there was definitely a little bit of Little Nightmares into some of the creature designs but because of the choice to use a black and white aesthetic, a lot of detail is lost and it does start to feel flat. There's a loose narrative about being a prophet bird but it's not conveyed in a way as succinctly as the games its trying to match itself to and in all honesty, it just felt like moving from sequence to sequence with little to characterise things beyond "Birds bad, pigs good" and even that nebulous narrative really doesn't give enough to push it to where it could go. It's a little wonky on the control side as well. So it was fine, another Limbo/Inside-esque title that doesn't do enough to make it stand out.

62. Sheepo (XSS) - July 2nd
I'd loved Kyle Thompson's most recent game Islets and I'm excited to see what he does with his new title so when I saw this on sale, I grabbed it. And it unfortunately shows that its a precursor to better things to come. The controls didn't feel as tight (why was jump also on the B button?) making platforming less smooth than it could've been. As a metroidvania, it doesn't really nail some of the main points I'd say for that genre as you've no means of attack which means boss battles are just jumping puzzles, and at times frustrating ones. Did think the powers you could get for morphing temporarily into other animal's was a nice touch to help expand exploration but there wasn't really much outside of the main game to make exploration worthwhile. It's a decent enough time but I'd recommend playing Islets instead as it's a great little metroidvania title and very much an underrated gem.

63. Rise of Fox Hero (PS5) - July 2nd
A quick easy to platinum title I grabbed on the PS5 as it was dirt cheap. 32 levels to platform through, taking some elements from Mario games but never really making good or interesting use of them. Delayed input on some controls such as the attack meant you'd take damage frequently. But because it was all a little simple and lacklustre, I just beelined through it in about 2 hours. Nothing great really.

64. Scarf (XSS) - July 7th
I remember seeing this a while back and thinking it could be a great little budget 3D platformer and so when it launched on consoles, I decided to finally grab it. And while it's got some level of charm, I just felt it was all a bit lacklustre. Going through portals into 1 of 3 big levels with more of an adventure styling to the game with some puzzles chucked in, it didn't really do much for me. Throwing in little quirks like playing a game of hide and seek but not really giving explicit indication of what you were meant to do, repeated asking you to collect 5 items in areas to open the way and a scarf dragon thing that became annoying, it just didn't do it for me.

65. High on Life (XSS) - July 10th
Just finished this this morning. I started it when it came to Gamepass in December as I thought the humour would be a good distraction to losing my father. It got shelved for a bit but having finally come back to it I can say I don't think the Rick and Morty style of humour is for me. It quickly began to grate, especially with the guns talking and the amount of jizz/cum talk that went on. The overarching story didn't really give me much impetuous to propel me forward and certainly the dialogue just made me wish so much that there was a skip option. I didn't feel like the gameplay was as solid as it could've been especially as a lot of the weapons and your suit could've leant themselves to some cool platforming sections but it all felt a bit run of the mill with little enemy variety. Some of the boss fights were cool, such as Nipulon, but more often it felt like you were going from arena to arena fighting things till you could move on. As a precursor to perhaps a bigger sequel, there's definitely some ideas here that could be taken further but it's maybe not something I'd be interested in given the humour started to grate. Playing it on Series S also showed how some devs are having to make compromises for the platform as there was a lot of pop in of details and some bigger structures (a whole building would pop in behind your house in Blim City), everything looked hazy and low resolution. It ran well enough (probably 30fps) but it definitely wasn't playing to the Series S' strengths.

Main Post

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
Main Post

Took a bit but I've finally got a game finished up this month.

8quBud2.png
37. Yu-Gi-Oh! Master Duel (iPad) - July 11th
So as a kid I was pretty into the Yu-Gi-Oh anime, at least the original series and GX, but I never got into the actual card game at all. Around October of last year though I ended up getting back into the series and finally decided it was time to dip my toes into the card game with Master Duel. I got really into it for about two weeks and still booted it up every so often since but after getting an iPad at the start of the month, and therefore a portable way of playing this, I got absorbed right back in again. I really appreciate how simple this game makes it to get into Yu-Gi-Oh. I haven't played all of the solo stuff it has to offer, but the tutorial fights at the beginning gave me enough of an idea of how to play. Being able to always read card effects is a big help as well. I ended up deciding on using a Dragonmaid deck which has a fairly simple gimmick, swapping between the Maids and their Dragon forms and eventually fusion summoning the ultimate Dragonmaid House/Sheou. It gets a lot more complicated than that with each monsters different effects and such but it's a very simple deck to understand and very easy to set up since it's one of the decks you can buy with the game's freemium currency. Yeah it's free to play with all of the trappings that come with it, freemium currency, a battle pass, etc. I will say though that I honestly can't see much of a reason to ever waste actual money here. You are constantly rewarded for every little thing that you do and even after building other decks to test out and play around with I had plenty of resources to spare. I'm not sure exactly how I'd quantify beating this game exactly but I got up to Gold V in ranked and level 35 in the battle pass equivalent and after that I'd say I've had my fill of Yu-Gi-Oh for now. This is a lot of fun and for a free to play game I never really felt there was ever a reason to even think about spending money so that's a plus. If you want an easily accessible way of getting into and playing the card game this is probably as good as it gets and I'd certainly recommend it.

4/5

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Progress has been slow, thanks to MH Rise and SFVI taking up all my time Ive barely touched anything else. So only one new game finished in the last week:

96. Pikmin 3 Deluxe (Switch) - Moving on from Pikmin 2, this was so damn easy to finish. I actually chose a harder difficulty and still walked through it no problem. Got all the fruits, did the Olimar optional content etc.
The game overall is excellent thoough, its fun figuring out how to get all the fruits, no caves (not missing them), and some new Pikmin types were great fun to utilise. Lockon and Pikmin switching feels like it works way better now, which makes combat easier (which in itself may explain why I had an easier time with the game).
Overall, its excellent. Still really pretty in places.

The extra content is cool as well. The mission mode has you collect fruit or fight all enemies and that's fun enough (utilising your limited Pikmin) but this shines best in the Olimar stuff considering it uses the same basic framework as the missions, just feels more polished.

Overall a solid (if easy) entry in the series, and I look forward to starting 4 next week.

Next up:

Tetris Effect VR
Runner
Mudrunners
Monster Hunter Rise
Rez Infinite (trophies)
Lost more VR stuff
MGS Rising
Splatterhouse (PS3)
Avengers
NMH3
Bayonetta 3
Sonic Frontiers
Plague's Tale

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I just realized I am playing a lot of really short indie games. Am I doing this wrong?
Nope. I play lots of indie and retro titles, heck that's why I finished so many games so far!

Point is - play what you enjoy, playing a 100+ hour game isnt any more valid than something that's a couple of hours long like "A Short Hike". Its all good!

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
Main Post

Already got another one to add to the list.

GTrFRqN.jpg
38. Sonic the Hedgehog (Xbox 360) - July 12th
So with Project 06 quickly becoming one of my favourite 3D Sonic games I thought it would be a good idea to revisit the original base 06. While I could have just played through the original game no problem this seemed like a good excuse to try out the Legacy of Solaris mod which was completed for the game last year. This also became the first game I've completed through Xenia because of that and it was a very smooth experience aside from the very rare graphical glitch on rings or eyes. There's a lot that can be said about Sonic 06, it's a broken mess, it ruined the franchise's reputation even to this day, it's the game where Sonic kisses a human. I don't really care about all that though, I've always enjoyed of 06 than most and this playthrough was more about seeing how LoS changed things than anything else.

The story of 06 is still terrible, no change here, though I did end up coming away with a greater appreciation of Shadow's story. Having beaten his own titular game recently, seeing the continued development of his character here was really nice. The story isn't particularly well presented though with some fairly poor animation and camera work and far worse voice direction than Shadow for the most part. The CG cutscenes aren't saved from this either and come across very inconsistent. The openings of each story for example look fantastic, as do the CG cutscenes throughout the Last Story, but others don't fair so well such as the cutscene prior to Shadow and Silver's Aquatic Base, which looks only slightly better than realtime and has some awful looking human facial animations. The soundtrack is still fantastic though, easily one of the best in the series, and I really enjoyed how the melody of His World can be heard through a bunch of different tracks.. The Zebrahead version was always one of my favourite Sonic tracks and after playing through 06 again I've also come to really enjoy the original version. I was also surprised by how decent the game looked, obviously the cutcenes, hubworlds, and especially the human character models look atrocious but once you're in any of the stages I'd actually say the game looks quite nice for a game that'll be 20 in a few years (feel old?), especially one that attemots (emphasis on attempts) to run at 60fps.

Most of the changes made by Legacy of Solaris are to the gameplay of 06. I wouldn't say any one particular thing is changed too drastically, it's a lot of little improvements that together end up really improving the experience. One fairly major addition to LoS are the amigo stories. Each of the amigo characters has their own story here, going through the stages and cutscenes that they were present (or would logically make sense) for within the story. The levels here are generally a lot of fun and it's great to get more playtime with some of the lesser used characters like Blaze and Amy. Yes Amy. She's vastly improved here, with a triple jump that doesn't kill aerial momentum, aerial hammer swings and a hammer spin. Not all amigos are made equal though and Rouge and Omega see very few changes from the base game as far as I can tell, resulting in some less than stellar characters that aren't particularly fun to play as. Rouge 4/, along with Knuckles do at least get SA1/2 style treasure hunting stages complete with the SA1 radar/ These are a lot of fun and work far better than I would have expected. Sonic, Silver and Shadow also get a bunch of extra stages as well, and while Sonic's are a bit of a mixed bag aside from the extra Crisis City, Shadow and Silver's are excellent and are some of the best in the game.

The main campaigns themselves are for the most part the same as the original game. You won't be doing the amigo stages (Tails Wave Ocean, etc.) since they have their own campaigns and there's some occasional changed level design (no running on balls in Aquatic Base or Silver's ball puzzle). Each hedgehog plays mostly the same as they originally did but more refined. Sonic has no cooldown between homing attacks, Shadow has a proper Chaos Blast, Silver is faster, with a longer teleport dash. There's a lot more than that but those are the major ones. I'd rank the campaigns Silver>Sonic>Shadow. Silver just feels great to play as here, he's got some great mobility options with his teleport dash, and his improved stun range make his combat a lot more enjoyable than it once was. It also helps that his story has the best amigos. Sonic is pretty great overall too but he isn't super different from the base game. He does get an extended run through Crisis City though, with Section D being restored which is very cool to see. Shadow is the worst here but far from bad on his own. His mobility is pretty lacking but after getting a better understanding of how the different levels of Chaos Boost work he becomes a lot of fun in combat. Deciding whether it's worth going up a level for the extra abilities or staying lower for less bar drainage is a lot of fun to manage and I'd like to see something like this again. His story does have the worst amigos though, and the vehicle sections but thankfully none are particularly long so it isn't too bad.

With all that said, revisiting Sonic 06 through Legacy of Solaris was a lot of fun. It's still mostly the same game, for better and worse, but as an attempt to polish up the original game I'd say it mostly nails it and delivers something that I feel is legitimately great. While I probably won't go back to this with Project 06 being a thing (especially if the LoS stages ever get ported) it's definitely the best way right now to experience Sonic 06 in its entirety and I would definitely recommend giving it a shot.

4/5

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
15. Terminator Resistance PS4 - I've heard this one called the good terminator game and it sounded intriguing so I had to check it out. It's fine I guess. It starts out interesting with the Terminators being really threatening and dangerous. Then you get a rifle to easily kill them and it becomes a standard shooter with mild crafting and upgrades. Kinda disappointed.

16. Kirby and the Forgotten Land Switch - 3D Kirby was well worth the weight. This game was so good. The art direction, the mouthful mode, everything was so good.

17. Shadow Warrior 3 X-Box - I loved 1 and 2 and 3 was just as good. Great evolution of the boomer shooter style. I'm glad it dropped the looter elements of 2 and I hope this series continues.

18. Cotton Rock n Roll Switch - so glad to have Cotton back. I love these cute em ups. Maybe my favorite franchise in the genre. All the interesting different characters and play styles and all the Gundam references were the cherry on top.

19. Metal Gear Solid The Twin Snakes GCN - fuck the haters, this is my favorite version of MGS1.

20. Metroid Prime Remake Switch- one of my favorite games of all time and they made it even better! What else can be said. This is as close to perfect as any game has gotten.

21. Private Eye Dol PC Engine Super CD-ROM^2 - really great murder mystery PC Engine CD game. 4 crimes, three murders and an idol who has to solve them. It's really well written and engaging and how the whole story starts slowly coming together is really good.
Haven't updated this in awhile.

22. Paranormasight PC Great short visual novel. Some back and forth and seeing things from different characters perspectives. Loved it.

23. FX Unit Yuki PC Engine CD ROM Modern Mega Man X homage for the PCE. Had a lot of fun with it.

24. Ion Fury PC. Ignoring the shitty creators, this is probably my favorite boomer shooter ever.

25. Metal Gear Solid 2 HD PS3 I remember this game having more gameplay lol

26. Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep PS5 short shooter. Man I love the mechanics of Borderlands but I hate hate hate the writing

27. Trouble Shooters Genesis really fun OG game I played through after seeing it in a Game Sack ep

28. Erica PS5 basically the modern equivalent of an FMV game for SEGA CD.

29. Resident Evil 4 PS5 I didn't love this remake as much as most people. A lot of my favorite RE4 moments are gone

30. Zeta Gundam Hot Scramble Famicom Classic Gundam game, love the first person wave rider sections, hate the side scrolling

31. Zone of the Enders X-Box 360 ZOE is so good and it's one of Kojimas franchises I wish hadn't died like all of them

32. Wurm NES Super underrated incredible mixed genre game for the NES that is also gorgeous

33. Like a Dragon Ishin PS5 I'm not a fan of the way some really problematic historical figures are portrayed but the core gameplay loop is still so good

34. Atomic Heart X-Box I had a lot of fun with this game and I love the subversion at the end

35. Zelda Tears of the Kingdom Switch. Absolute incredible experience. Front to back.

36. Metal Gear Solid 5 PS4 I forgot how much I hated the way chapter 2 is ended

37. Redfall X-Box Disappointed at like everyone else

38. Super Robot Wars 30 Switch every SRW is a phenomenal experience and 30 is no exception. It does some really good stuff with the narrative I really loved

39. Ultionus PC fun tribute to the classic game.

40. Demon Front Arcade great Metal Slug like game, a little easy to 1CC but cute and really fun

41. Ghost of Tsushima PS4. I had a ton of fun with these years after everyone else. Looks gorgeous on PS5

42. Evil West PC this is the kind of game I wish to here were more of. Very tight action game

43. SD Gundam G Generation Genesis Switch another great Gundam tactics game but I always fall into the loop of buying all the big guns early and trying to build shittier MS late game

44. Final Fantasy 16 PS5 Man I loved this game a lot. I love the story, the music, the gameplay. I adore it

45. High on Life Xbox this game was dumb as fuck

46. Monster Hunter Stories 3DS so cute. I need to play through 2! The concept is great, I love the story it creates, kind of thin battle system but I love hatching eggs and riding monsters

47. Omen of Sorrow PS5 Neat little fighter starting classic monsters and horror icons.

48. Sword and Fairy 7 Xbox Beautiful little action rpg that I was a bit confused by due to my lack of understanding of Tao.

Last edited:

Griffin

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka
Uhh, is it really July already? Well I didn't finish anything in June so here's a late recap of April and May.

MAIN POST

k5qupnq.jpeg

#12 - Life is Strange: True Colors (Xbox Series) - ★★★★☆
I never made much progress in the original Life is Strange, but the compelling characters (and looming Game Pass deadline) in this one kept my attention right through to the end. While not the most exciting superpower in the world, the power to detect people's strong feelings and empathise with them led to some heartfelt moments; the larping section was especially charming and creative It was an emotionally gripping story right up to what I assume was the ending, when the game promptly crashed and I lost a lot of progress. Four stars!

#13 - Bugsnax (Xbox Series) - ★★★★☆

Though the Xbox version had some performance issues, this was still satisfying to play. It's quite the original concept and I had fun finding creative ways to get different Bugsnax to interact with each other so I could snag them and feed them to the locals. Some of the dialogue was funny, but there's just too much drama between all these muppet-looking guys. Sometimes I just wanted to ignore them and go hunting for more Bugsnax! The game goes to some dark places, but there's so much food-based body horror from the start that didn't exactly take me by surprise. I guess the Bugsnax were supposed to be a metaphor for the opioid epidemic or something? Weird game, I enjoyed it a lot.

#14 - Mega Man Battle Network: Operate Shooting Star (Nintendo DS) - ★★★☆☆

This is an enhanced version of the original Mega Man: Battle Network that was never officially released in English. There's a reason for that - it's kind of half-assed as far as remakes go, only making small gameplay improvements and adding in a short crossover sequence with Mega Man Starforce. It's definitely an improvement over playing the GBA original, at least, with the map on the lower screen making navigating the vast labyrinth of the internet far easier.

Even in this first instalment, the real-time battles are uniquely enjoyable. Players are constantly winning new chips to equip, customising Mega Man with sets of different attacks to bust viruses. The combat certainly held my attention more than the incredibly basic storyline, with a view of the future that wasn't quite as interesting as I remembered (though I'd be down for a metaverse with constantly looping screensaver backgrounds). I intended to play this before grabbing the recent collection, but I might give it a miss for now. Even though the first game can be easily cleared in around 10 hours, I'm already feeling burned out on the formula.

wbrr1xb.jpg

#15 - Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood (PS4) - ★★★☆☆

There was another one of those free game time promotions for people like me with a lapsed FFXIV subscription. It's only 72 hours, but that's enough time to play through all the post-game quests in Stormblood, right? Alas, while I liked Stormblood more than others seem to, these patches were a bit dull. The Ala Mhigo stuff is still boring and one of my favourite characters in Stormblood, Yotsuyu, was treated incredibly poorly.

There are some highlights, though. The final dungeon with all the characters showing up to fight alongside your party was cool and the Tsukuyomi trial was also excellent. I still haven't done the Return to Ivalice raids (it seems like I'll need more than 72 hours just to queue for them), but I'm enough of a Tactics and FFXII fan that perhaps they'll change my overall opinion of these patches. Things pick up near the end of the main scenario quests, with the promise that things will get more interesting - I'll just have to purchase the later expansions to actually get to that point!

#16 - Metroid Prime Remastered (Switch) - ★★★★★

What is there to say? Metroid's big move to 3D is still a classic and this HD remaster looks stunning. The new, more conventional control scheme works great and I appreciate that the old-school lock-on targeting and Wii-style motion controls are included as well. On my first time through, I thought the game stuck a bit too close to the same format as Super Metroid. In retrospect, that's not really the case. While there are some similar upgrades and environments, the way the visor switching worked is unique, making effective use of the first person view to add atmosphere and depth to the gameplay. The different beams give the action more variety and the platforming works far better than it should. Sure, there's a bit more backtracking than I remember, but even the final hunt for artifacts can't stop this from being a classic. Bring on the Metroid Prime 2 remaster!

#17 - Umurangi Generation (XB Series) - ★★★☆☆

Any game with first person movement would feel a bit rubbish coming off Metroid Prime, but I expected more from this. This game got so much praise for its gameplay and themes, but I was hoping for something with a bit more bite. It seemed like some interesting stuff was happening in the background, but my brief time with the game was spent doing pointless scavenger hunts. First-person photography games are hard to come by and the visual style is unique, so I'll give it points for originality at least.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
This is what I get for dithering on updating this last week

31. Pizza Tower ★★★★

mPiqvnL.png

The last few years have been something of a slow burn re-evaluation of Wario Land 4, it was always a well liked GBA game, but I don't think there was much talk at the time of it being a classic of sorts.
As time has gone on, its status as a hidden gem has become more apparent, and indie devs are taking notice as well, rise of the wario likes!

This leads into Pizza Tower, a game that's wears the WL4 inspiration on its sleeve, but isn't content to just leave itself as a mere homage, this game might be the evolution of the abandoned Wario Land formula. It escalates every aspect of the GBA outing, more insane, more visually elaborate despite its MS Paint meets 90s Nickelodeon art direction, more technically deep and even dare I say, more creative.
I feared that the hype seen on the internet over the first half of this year that holds Pizza Tower up as one of the greats in an already stacked 2023 might have me end up underwhelmed. As the game went on, it just kept getting sillier, funnier and content to just one and done entire fresh level gimmicks or mechanics in a manner akin to personal GOAT tier game Super Mario Galaxy 2.
The extra frantic elements of the platforming design bring to mind Sonic CD as well, now with good level design! The deeper you get into the game, the more the levels twist into mutated forms of the base pizza tower experience, the final stages in particular leaning into some truly distinct outings from jump scare horror to run n' gun. The level theming and music can be as eclectic as the rest of the game, despite being similar to WL4 on its base level, it's anything but predictable, while also reminding us all that WL4's mix of treasure hunting and turbo escape scenes was a winning formula.

There's a chance I grow more fond of this game over time, especially when I don't have to play it on my laptop and get the fullscreen experience (probably not this year for my fellow console players).
2023 is absolutely pizza time, one of the best indie platformers in recent memory, also the pre stage title cards are just the best.

32. Ghost Trick Remastered ★★★★★
z9jwkwp.jpg

The more time passes, the more I'm convinced that this is Shu Takumi's best work.
A tightly paced mystery that leaves a new juicy hook every 20 minutes or so, supported by a fairly unique puzzle mechanic that puts in just enough work to feel rewarding but not crater the plot progression by getting the player stuck for an hour or anything.

There's an excellent ebb and flow between the visual novel elements and possession puzzles, never lingering on either side too long, unlike the sibling series Ace Attorney which can have a few stump worthy testimonies or meandering text segments, Ghost Trick mostly skirts around this issue, so while it lacks the kind of fist pumping "heck yeah" of landing that mighty objection, it doesn't seem to ever stall out either.

I can't exactly say that the puzzle mechanics are all time greatness, it's about as good as trial and error based around rube goldberg machines is gonna get without being too open ended or cryptic though. The game's whole premise and plot utilises the fact that it's a video game and not another form of storytelling media, so already this moves Ghost Trick into a high spot for me as far as storytelling in video games go, able to use esoteric concepts like the 4 minutes before death time travel that just wouldn't adapt well as say a TV show (please never try and make an anime of this capcom, Ace Attorney already got crunched enough!)

Back when I first played this in 2011 and was more a freshly minted weeb, I remember thinking that it was a shame the game's art style wasn't more like Ace Attorney (so...standard anime), now in 2023 I realise that I was a fool, this game's art style is distinct, it's sharp, it pops, it hits that nice fusion between western comic and japanese manga sensibilities.
I love that it all takes place across a single night, the backgrounds invoke that kind of neon night city tone by supporting the late night setting with bold colours, the character animation is wonderfully cartoony, overly elaborate and a joy to see unleashed from the blurry DS shackles.
I'm a bit more mixed on the remastered OST, definitely a case of some tracks improving while others that were the best in the original game feel a bit less punchy (Lynne and Jowd's themes in particular), but that's why they give you both as an option, win, win!
For just as much props as I give Takumi and the localisers for the script as tangled web of mystery, I'm once again reminded that Takumi's work has a sharp comic streak that tickles me dearly, a game that can make excessive death amusing is one that's balancing the scales just right to avoid becoming too much of a downer.

Ghost Trick seems to be the kind of game where if it clicks with you, it jumps into the all time classic tier, I don't want to risk overselling the quality of this game, the sum of its parts build it up to a strong 9 outta 10 time for me but reviews landing in the mid 80's both then and now make perfect sense to me as well. In any case I will furiously cape for this game, every capcom sale I'm gonna be out there shilling away, trying to pull my own ghost trick or making this game a success dammit!

33. New Super Mario Bros 2 (replay) ★★★
qTAIuS8.png

I'm kinda surprised how much I've revisited this game over the years, permanent whipping boy of the NSMB sub series it may be, I can't deny finding it an oddly interesting game.
Which feels strange to say when the reason for its less that loved reception is how samey and seemingly pointless its existence is, one of the only mario platformers out there that feels like it was truly just made to make money NOW, throw the 3DS crowd a perfectly acceptable NSMB game to try and replicate the DS original's success, they even call it 2 when it's the third game in the series.

Two things make NSMB2 interesting among its series though, one is of course the central coin gimmick, the second is knowing it was done by a junior team that were getting their feet wet, both of these details influence the level design itself in ways.
Let me first say that the coin gimmick is so close to being great, only to be a load of nothing. See in NSMB2 there's coins everywhere, you can activate rings that turn enemies gold leaving coins in their wake and even causing Hammer Bros and Lakitu to stop chucking their deadly projectiles in favour of COINS, you becomes the mummy from that OG scooby doo series, COIN, COOOOIN!
The multi hit coin blocks turn into golden blocks mario gets stuck on his head and then when you sprint or fall at pace it haemorrhages coins in this gloriously cathartic fashion, there's a golden fire flower that gives you an explosive midas touch causing enemies and block to explode in a shower of, you guessed it, COINS.
It's unusually satisfying, like my primal lizard brain is just getting dopamine hits from all the ching ching ching noises and watching coin numbers go brrrrring. Now what are coins used for here outside the usual "100 coins equal 1 life"….
errr, uh-oh, not much. And here is the first big stumble of NSMB2, it sets up a mario game where every stage could have had a rad score attack mode, a 2D mario game where coins as a currency to unlock things could've been central, the game instead does both of these things in one of the worst ways possible.

Introducing coin rush, a time attack side mode where the game roulettes you three stages to play back to back and try to achieve your highest coin score, why that kinda sounds like what I wanted right? Well, so close yet so far. A host of strange decisions kneecaps this otherwise great idea, since stages are randomly selected, your coin amassing is at the mercy of what stages you rolled, there's only one record you save as your best thus losing any kind of stage specific bragging rights. The third stage is always a castle or tower, complete with boss fight, so have fun fighting the bloomin' Koopalings over and over as well as higher odds of rolling the same stages. And the game drops a massive X2 coin modifier on the top of the end of stage flagpole, which is pretty much imperative to hit for maximum coinage, but of course not all flagpole access is created equal, most are admittedly easy (and this game has a flight item to boot), but goddamn if you just had a great run of coin collecting and slightly miss the tip top of the pole.
Still it's the best mode for amassing coins, coins for what you ask? Well, there is a reward, all you need is a million coins! I've played this game multiple times now, spent over 20 hours in it, I have maybe around 30,000 coins, the target is completely absurd and would require tediously grinding coin rush with optimal stages being rolled, and you do this all for A GOLD STATUE ON THE TITLE SCREEN
That's it, nothing else, all the coins this game is built around, entire side modes devoted to their accumulation, for basically nothing, god damn, GOD DAMN, WHY?!

It's a Mario platformer so level design is consistently good, rarely great mind you. You can spy a different approach to level design and structure from this team even outside of the coin surplus and I do find that interesting when you have 4.5 very similar entries in the series. This team took the chance to play more with autoscrollers, water stages (everyone but me immediately damning this game forever, and yes they do have multiple water autoscrollers!) and a strange infatuation with snake blocks as obstacles and pow blocks, it's just…intriguing to me, I can't really explain why.
Also they place star coins pretty well, no fake wall nonsense, these are the coins worth nabbing as they'll unlock secret stages.

Challenge wise, the game is EZ, perhaps a bit tougher than the original NSMB, but it rarely bares any fangs, the post game secret world is as easy as the rest of them just to put things in perspective here. Aesthetically it reuses NSMBwii music and visuals thus limiting any attempt to stand out outside of coins and probably the main reason for the game's crummier rep, except it throws in more WAHS/BAHS, to the point where they're now in your castles and the athletic theme is remixed into being fully WAH WAH, which is actually hilarious to me, they saw the hate and went "fuck you, now it's all BAH all the time".
Still, I kinda enjoy NSMB2, fundamentally solid, it has BOOHEMOTH which is one of my favourite autoscroller gimmicks in a platformer (a gigantic derpy looking boo who one hit kills you and takes up nearly half the screen, but is just as shy as any other boo, except eventually he dares to meet your gaze and inch forward, it's adorable), they try to spice up the samey visuals with a few more unique assets and backgrounds compared to other entries so there was an attempt, shame about the 3D effect though, why make it pop when you could make it BLUR? No really, why? Whose idea was this?!

34. Mail Mole ★★★
NSwitchDS_MailMole_02.jpg

A nice and simple indie 3D platformer utilising a low poly art style, it had been sitting in my wishlist for yonks so I finally dug in alongside its DLC on a recent sale.
The game's 3D Mario inspiration is pretty clear, particularly 3D World with its linear obstacle course focus while also cribbing the Sunshine/Galaxy like pre level flyovers, Odyssey's currency based death penalty and what not. Hey I ain't judging, take from the king, I know I would, and this game does strike me is the kind of thing I'd make if I was to tackle a to the point 3D platforming project.

Mail Mole's gameplay is deceptively simple, you move, you jump, you dash, you can ground pound and yeah, that's pretty much it. On a surface level anyway, because your movement actually happens below the surface (eh? EH?), you move around as a roaming dirt pile, only emerging with the jump button before plonking right back into the earth. Now let me make a mountain out of a molehill quickly by pointing out that you take damage while in the ground which never looks quite right but completely makes sense in the context of y'know, challenge and obstacles, I just really wanted to make that bad yet oh so suitable pun.
Anyway, point is that the base movement of this game is incredibly to the point, the twist comes from how jumping and jump height, while still involving holding down the jump button, doesn't take to the air until you let go of the button. This small change creates a wrinkle to utlisling short hops and higher jumps in a sorta pre planning fashion. On top of this, hitting dash/run when you land back in the ground has the mole suddenly burst with speed allowing for a longer short hop/standard jump, and this is basically the game's secret sauce.

This movement quirk is enough to make Mail Mole that bit more than its inspiration, while stage gimmicks certainly have a familiar whiff about them (I like flipswitch galaxy too guys), the way you approach them can feel decidedly different since a high jump isn't immediate, point is, they utilised the fact that you're a mole pretty well for a game limiing itself to like three face buttons.
Unfortunately I wish the dash move after a jump was assigned to its own button, because as the game ramps up and requires a lot of quick jumps in succession, it's way too easy to accidentally dash as you hit the ground when all you wanted to do was move at the faster speed to extend the normal jump, and instead you go full dirt devouring long jump, pretty much 90% trips into a pit were because of this quirk.
In spite of that small annoyance, I liked the mechanic and it added a much needed extra layer to gameplay that leans into speed running (something the stages actively promote) and shortcut making, and that's always a good sign.

The game also has a host of autoscroller like stages that basically play like a (better) Plessie from 3D World, these were always a fun rush and it seems like one of the post game DLC packs was dropping 8 new ones on me, I approve.

The other DLC pack was a mystery mansion involving bitesize back to back challenge rooms on the clock and...wait, this is 3D World again! I see your mystery house challenge here game and once again, yeah fair enough, it's a concept worth cribbing and made for the game's best platforming challenges.
Game has a pretty suitable difficulty curve, with a bit of a finale spike mind you, it's not really a game to rave about and really only for those of us who need to fresh 3D platforming hit every few months.
Timely that I finished this when their next game based on the Summer in Mara series lands in just a couple of weeks, they may have convinced me to dive in on launch

Random thoughts
- The game takes place in carrotland, you collect carrots but...there's no rabbits? Is this the joke? Why is the mayor of carrotland an Owl? Outside the obvious that Owls >>>Rabbits of course.
- What few NPCs are here don't exactly have consistent art direction, the big bad being a Rat that looks like he landed in the uncanny valley between cartoon mascot game and more anthro game.
- Comic sans still ain't it!

35. Hey Pikmin ★★
YU9irLT.jpg

Hey Pikmin, it's kinda bad.
Developed by Arzest, they do no better.
A game, that surely failed to chart,
A concept that deserved better

Hey Pikmin, don't be afraid.
You were made to be 3DS filler.
The gameplay is wafer thin,
Damn do I wish this was better.

*ahem*
So with Pikmin 4's impending arrival, I decided that it was high time I finished the oft forgotten Hey Pikmin, turns out I had only one stage and two bosses left to do so this was an easy stat pad for this thread huh.
This also meant I'd forgotten most of the game since I played 95% of it 3-4 years ago and obviously it wasn't quite good enough to warrant finishing then.
So in a show of good faith, I replayed a few stages, unlocked some secret ones and refreshed myself on the gameplay loop and how it utilises the pikmin types in a 2D space.
In concept I actually really like this game, I always wanted a 2D pikmin, the idea is sound, there are moments in gameplay where I almost feel like the game is onto something.
More often though, the game is just kinda slow and simple, I actually think it makes a great kids game for sure, not everything has to be for my boomer arse, and it's clear that with the sheer abundance of mid stage skit like cutscenes of pikmin doing silly pikmin things, that this game is out there to try and make gardeners of the youth.
Unfortunately, I'm an ancient being in my thirties, so unskippable scenes of pikmin tripping over objects in every stage sure does begin to grate as much as the repetitive gameplay.

Despite my SCATHING beatles parody, I don't consider this game bad as such, it's one of those perfectly functional outings that simply fails to excite. There are absolutely things to like about it, the game carries on the series tradition of amusing treasure analysis, I actually enjoyed grabbing as many collectables as I could just to see what off the wall take Olimar had on simple items to us that his alien self can't comprehend, actually I gotta share one of my favourite item descriptions from any game (yes, any game!) that comes from Olimar inspecting the original Super Mario Bros NES cartridge and its strange boxart layout

"The man this chronicle is presumably about is a very tragic figure. He seems to be simultaneously running up against a brick wall, falling to a fiery death, and menaced by a sort of reddish-white, wriggling larva. With so many insurmountable obstacles on all sides, he can't be long for this world. May you have better luck in the next life, my mustachioed friend."

Music might be the best the series has had since the first game in a low key pleasing manner (though that's more a knock on P2 and 3 not matching P1 here), game looks nice enough, uses dual screens effectively instead of 3D, I'm not wrong to think that 2D Pikmin has potential, it just needed something bolder and more ambitious than this, because all those good points don't really have much to do with the gameplay side.
Somehow even in 2D with a limitation of pikmin that can follow you, these dopes will still get lost, snagged by scenery and die off screen because you walked too far away and they presumably died of loneliness, hitboxes on enemies can feel iffy, puzzles are basic as can be, you get the picture, it's Arzest being Arzest (pray for Sonic Superstars!)

36. Super Mario Land 2 (replay) ★★★

yclZ5vH.jpg

And now for another handheld Mario 2 outing, one that feels almost like the opposite of NSMB2, where level design from a pure platforming standpoint is nothing to really write home about, but the theming carries it hard. Basically I remember these stages, they're unique, they're actually on the lower end of 2D Mario level design but you just don't forget the mechanical toybox of Mario Zone, or the Whale's interior in Turtle Zone, heck I finally noticed that the one Pumpkin zone stage with the umbrella enemies was a japanese themed yokai stage, ohhh those things with the tongue are paper lanterns! There you go younger me, we finally figured it out, thanks anime.

So SML2 is carried a lot by the tone and also how much of a visual jump it is coming off SML1, SML2 looked like witchcraft coming off its predecessor that looked like it would fit on an old school nokia mobile phone.
SML2 does carry on the Land trend of just being plain weird, those levels I mentioned should've given it away after all, even its most basic zone (Tree Zone) has like, this strange tree interior stage filled with floaty goop and ghostly cow monsters.
Hilariously this game actually gave me a use for 999 coins, to gamble and earn myself 99 lives, so it's kinda already beaten NSMB2 at its own game huh.
Strange decisions abound all over the shop, you can find hidden stages that are completely standalone, stages that can never be replayed after being beaten, worlds like the low gravity Space Zone have a whopping two mandatory stages with one hidden optional stage that exists to basically give you coins and upset the once happy moon on the world map by sending a shooting star into it (am I the arsehole?)
I found a hidden stage in pumpkin zone that required the fire flower to break down walls, make the tightest jumps in the game and be careful not to blast away the very ground itself (thus making it more challenging than every stage in the game around it), all under the seeming pretense of it being an extra live filled bonus stage where actually grabbing those lives were the diciest jumps in the game, and beating the stage didn't even move you ahead on the world map (this is what I mean by standalone stages). I'm not sure what this little anecdote says, just that SML2 plays by no sort of standard Mario ruleset

Despite the game's overall ease, the final stage is this wonderful borderline troll of a difficulty spike that broke many a child (myself included), even now some bits of its gauntlet run have me a bit tense. I may not be in danger of getting a game over now, but did you know if you DO game over, you lose all the golden coins that open the castle and have to go back and redo the bosses? Anything to make this hour long outing last longer I guess!
I have a fondness for this entry, the music bops, it's got is own vibe that stands out all the more after all those NSMB titles. Plays well, has aged fine, a nice breezy play.

37. Kirby's Tilt and Tumble ★★
*sad Kirby pic goes here*

Let me firstly say, it's great that they were able to emulate this with motion control, it was a game I expected I'd never play, yet here it is.

Now let me also say that I sure wasn't missing much. It's hard to tell if the game's control issues come from the emulation or if it was always like this, but let me tell ya, flicking your switch to jump ain't it and perhaps unsurprisingly, in a world where motion control and gyro is now normal, the novelty of this game's whole tilting thing ain't exactly as exciting as it once was, nor can its design measure up to what's come since.
I'd actually played my way to world 3 months back when first investigating this curiosity, I never really had plans to finish it, but something funny happened.
See after finishing SML2, I went back to the game boy app menu, saw this and thought "let's give it one more go", picked back up from the first stage in world 3, I find a barely hidden whispy woods chilling in a corner in the first area.
"do you want to warp to world 6?"
Heck yeah I will
First stage of World 6, I find another barely hidden Whispy Woods
"Do you want to warp to World 8?"
Aw yeah, let's just skip half the game and add it to my 52 game list.

This does however mean I had to actually play world 8, and without instant rewind I'd probably have just dropped it because this game can be fiddly n' frustrating to tilt n' tumble through, difficulty fluctuates all the time, it goes from cakewalk to pinball hell depending entirely on if bottomless pits are around or not, how the game chooses to centre the gyro/motion is a mystery to me, sometimes I have it, then I immediately lose it.
Nothing you can't brute force through, with an ironic delicate touch necessary at the same time, I beat Dedede, got an abrupt and uneventful ending and found that I collected just one of the game's 30 odd main collectables that probably lead to a true final stage or something as per series tradition. Jumped back in my completed save to quickly check out a couple of stages from the worlds I skipped, yep this game really does only have like 5 stage themes huh, I don't think I missed much, there was a quicksand gimmick in one world and ice in another, I definitely did not miss much.

Look tilt n' tumble, there's a nice slot for you right here at the bottom of my kirby franchise tier list, I almost want to give you one star so this post can have all five scores represented, realistically though, you're not a BAD game as such, just one built off a gimmick that doesn't hold up much now.

Last edited:

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
47: Final Fantasy XVI. End: 7/15/2023.

I have a lot of thoughts about this game. As a long time Final Fantasy fan and as a fan of character action games, I went into this wanting to know as little as possible. I went in knowing it was a character action game with some RPG elements and a story inspired by Game of Thrones.

Initially I was very excited about the game and its story. But I quickly lost that interest as I kept moving forward. The combat isn't as dynamic as other character action games. And the game itself is too long to compensate for the slow drip of new abilities (which also don't fundamentally change the gameplay). The story itself feels undercooked as well, with many seemingly important characters brushed aside. Jill probably gets the worst of it, which is unfortunate as I think she had a lot of potential.

If I'm giving the impression that I hate the game, I actually don't. But I don't think it lives up to its potential. It's an overly ambitious game that can't quite match those ambitions.

Sillen2000

Oct 1, 2019
Main Post

June update: 30/52

Very short little update for now since I honestly posted this by mistake before I had barely written anything (my biggest fear come true; making a fool of myself on a video game forum...), but slightly longer write-ups coming soon!!!

cxwzjE8.jpg

24. June 1st | Metroid: Zero Mission | Game Boy Advance | 2h 50m | ☆☆☆½(/5)
It's good, but, like, Super Metroid was already kind of a remake of Metroid, making Zero Mission kind of feel redundant and just a less interesting version of Super. Sure, it's nice and short and controls extremely well, but feels very basic, and while the QoL changes made from the original are appreciated (and just to clarify, it definitely is a much better game than the NES Metroid), they don't really amount to much, except for the final act that is wholly original, but also pretty boring and seems to be mostly an excuse to sexualize Samus in her zero suit as much as possible.

Soundtrack highlight:
Brinstar Theme

M0IGioj.jpg

25. June 7th | Secret Agent Clank | PSP | 5h 25m | Replay | ☆☆
Not very good, I'm afraid. Doesn't feel great to be yet another voice to criticize the franchise's punching bag, but it really is disliked for several very good reasons. The Qwark sections are awful slogs that go on and on, the Ratchet sections should be fun since they're just arena fights, but the weapons lack any sort of punch. Clank sections are decent, pretty similar to ordinary R&C gameplay though with some very basic stealth mechanics here and there. Sadly, they have to share so much screentime with the other two chracters, and also those absurdly long rhythm game that were both very easy and also never seemed to end.

Soundtrack highlight:
TBD

djV2LOv.jpg

26. June 10th | Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga | Playstation 5 | 42h | ☆☆☆
Decent open hubs, very good recreation of the planets from the movies at least, and they house a lot of fun side quests and just overall feel good to be in, though traversal can be a chore sometimes since it's usually so vertical and no character can fly. Stages themselves feel mostly really uninspired (though they get a lot better during the Sequel trilogy, and especially Rise of Skywalker, surprisingly enough), being really short and almost always 99% combat which has never been the lego games' strongest suit. Still, had a good time playing through the whole game in multiplayer, and the character roster is pretty great for a Star Wars fan (even if the UI used for switching characters is awful.)

Soundtrack highlight:
I think this only reuses music from the movies, so, uh, March of the First order maybe, just to pick something not too obvious.

MUXiNlm.jpg

27. June 13th | Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty | Playstation 3 | 2h 10m | Replay | ☆☆☆
Short and sweet. No filler, not much killer either, but also nothing particularly bad and it's nice to see a Ratchet game with more focus on platforming and surprisingly clever level design than most games after Going Commando. There're no original weapons, which is understandable but kind of a bummer, but the selection is at least pretty good, and they feel a lot better to use here than in Tools of Destruction when almost every late game enemy had both way too much health and also didn't really react to taking damage, which isn't an issue here. Story is dumb, but who cares by this point.

Soundtrack highlight:
TBD

BNHxIsZ.jpg

28. June 14th | Castlevania | Playstation 4 | 35m | Replay | ☆☆☆½
Felt compelled to replay this for some reason, and it is certainly still Castlevania, by which I mean it's a platformer with very deliberately sluggish controls that are meant to teach you not to just go in guns blazing like in, say, a Mega Man game. It's the thinking man's platformer, so to speak, and I really appreciate that and think this is probably the best version of this Classicvania approach outside of Rondo of Blood. Still think Death without triple cross or holy water is close to impossible though, and the final stage is kind of a mess (though I enjoy the Dracula fight).

Soundtrack highlight:
Wicked Child

5mThphT.jpg

29. June 20th | The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom | Switch | ~150h | ☆☆☆☆☆
Think I'll keep this experience to myself for now :), but suffice to say this is GOTY and I can't imagine anything topping it. One of the most impressive games I've ever played, and maybe even my new favorite Zelda game which feels insane to say since I really love Ocarina of Time and Link's Awakening (and have done so for such a long time), but TotK is certainly up there.

Soundtrack highlight:
Main Theme

El93EGQ.jpg

30. June 27th | Pokémon Yellow Versions: Special Pikachu Edition | Game Boy | 18h 28m | Pseudo-Replay | ☆☆☆☆
Gen 1 is a mess of glitches and terrible type balancing, bad move pools, annoying HMs, and a pretty steep level curve going from the final gym to the Elite Four. However, I still just love the entire experience so much, especially how open Kanto feels to the player, all of the strangely dark things that never really appeared in the franchise again that are just sprinkled throughout this otherwise really simplistic and childis story, and trying out new weird teams I now try to form after having played the games so many times (Pikachu, Nidoqueen, Farfetch'd, Hypno, Dewgong, and Ninetales this playthrough, by the way.) Honestly prefer the weird sprite work from Red and Blue over Yellow's more refined, but otherwise a game I really can't find too many things I don't like about it.

Soundtrack highlight:
Champion Battle

Currently playing:
Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS)
Final Fantasy XVI (PS5)
Lost Judgment (PS5)
Street Fighter 6 (PS5)

Last edited:

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Main Post

2018-12-21_13-10-07_525-980x551.jpeg

9. Spider-Man: Silver Lining DLC
A nice way to close out the game. Silver Sable is cool and I'm glad we got to see more of her. I skipped all of Screwball's challenges because lol no. Bases missions were meh but the clue hunt was the real fun twist in this dlc. Can't wait to see more of Yuri, she's great. Hammerhead is a meh villain, this dlc is entirely carried by SIlver Sable and Spidey banter and it's honestly worth it for that.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
<< Previous Post | Main Post | Next Post >>

2ue2Ysi.png

24. No Man's Sky

No Man's Sky is probably the greatest comeback story in gaming; thanks to tons of consistent updates over the past 6 years, Hello Games has crafted the kind of experience originally promised. And as a sandbox romp across hundreds of planets, it's great! It's a very light space sim that gives you a lot of options and different ways to live out your intergalactic fantasy. I played it largely as a pacifist, building a base with a farm across vast acres. But you could easily play it as a hungry pirate hunter, commanding a fleet of ships to mow down bad guys.

What surprised me the most is how good the story concept was. It dealt with existentialism, loneliness, the nature of reality...but it was all delivered in text-based dialogue via stiff character models. This game could really use like...a single cutscene.

JCvMQHD.png

25. The Stanley Parable: Deluxe Edition

So I played this game on and off for...a few years. I loved the original, far back when it was a mod, and loved the enhanced full game that it became. This ultra deluxe edition was fun but I had taken such a long break from it I couldn't remember anything about the new endings I got, what I did or didn't see...so I played until I unlocked this "epilogue." It was really good, more of the same great game, but I probably should have played the sessions closer together.

fG2DG8l.png

26. Wuppo: Definitive Edition

This is a silly metroidvania(?) where you're a little wum(?) trying to find a home after being evicted from your home.

Had a love-hate relationship with this one. Sometimes it was cute, with interesting locations and characters. You get powers in the form of hats - a hat that lights up the dark, a hat that disguises you, etc. How cute is that? But sometimes, the platforming and combat was garbage, and there was a LOT of it, mostly in the form of boss battles. There were also sometimes puzzles that were...alright.

But I guess when I think back on it, I only really remember the worst parts of it. So it couldn't have been that great.

Last edited:

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
MAIN THREAD
master30.png

master35.png

Quick Update
  • Chrono Trigger - A classic that lives up to the hype
  • Wolfenstein 3D - I really enjoyed this game despite it being lumpy in mission packs (1,3,5, fantastic, 2,4,6 less enjoyable)
  • Tales from the Galaxy Edge - I didn't find this game that great. Its a fun playthrough once in VR but I am glad I rented it.
  • Blake Stone: AoG- Had a good time with it and its description of Wolfenstein 3D in the future is accurate.
  • Diablo IV - Fantastic game. The leveling system could be better (the amount of content in the world will get you to the level cap way before your journey ends.)
  • Miles Morales - Ton of fun just like first game. Miles deserved a longer story as it felt like it was missing a few big fights and enemies.
  • Humanity - In my top 10 for the year, enjoyed this a ton. In VR doesn't add a ton on normal levels (besides extra immersion), but boss levels are really cool.
  • FFXVI - Loved it a lot. Combat could be tougher but the world was good, and it had some of the wildest boss fights visually in any game I have played.
  • Shotgun King - Really fun take on chess thats kept me coming back daily.
  • Superliminal - Great idea. Feel like they are only scratching the surface level though of each concept and could be harder.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
51344091514_0ed200203d_h.jpg

41. Stray

Cute little game with very little action, a few simple puzzles, an endearing story. It just doesn't get to the level of the games it's trying so hard to emulate like Limbo or Inside. I guess playing as a cat is cool, but honestly it's really all over the place in terms of plot which is tries to have a lot of and it ends up feeling like a constant whiplash. Still, playable and a fun if limited experience.

image_lifeless_planet-22820-2794_0004.jpg

42. Lifeless Planet

What happened during the last 00s and early to mid '10s
? There are so many of these indie games with these pseudo philosophical voice overs and / or text (optional)and these confusing, yet intriguing narratives. This felt like I was going through Narcosis in a different setting, and if I sit here I could name a lot of these (the aforementioned Limbo, Braid, Yet it Moves, Thomas Was Alone and more) . It's weird because we were coming from the late 90s, early 00s angry era to this one.

Lifeless Planet is a simple puzzle/platforming game in a *gasp* lifeless planet. It looks gorgeous and it's so atmospheric, but it's clearly a product of its time and the animations are funky. The music is also stunning. Worth for the 4 or so hours it lasts, the final stages are really a mindscrew.

VA11HallA_Screenshot_2.png

43. VA11-Hall-A

I bought (and played) this game because I liked the box art:

71ERyS4+RKL._SL1500_.jpg

It was expensive. I could have spent 15 bucks on the game, 50 cents on a spare nintendo switch case and just print it out, but I didn't think about it at the moment. (I will totally do this with Bayonetta tho).

I enjoyed it, but it meanders so much during the first half which really makes it hard to sit through at times. After that halfway point, it's engaging as hell. Music is top notch and Jill. Oh Jill. I'll never forget you (they said we'd never make it -8-)

Switchatrwork.jpg

Maybe it's the uniform. Or that she reminds of Ergo Proxy's Re-I, one of my favorite characters in what little anime I've seen.

a6b93bfcedcd6c822cb2818f28c93f14.jpg

Who's conversely based very obviously on my last true celebrity love, Amy Lee, some 20 years ago.

re-1-mayer-e-amy-lee1.jpg

The mind is a fascinating and utterly scary thing. Fun fact: I saw Evanescence a few months ago for the first time. She's singing so well. I don't know what band that is anymore though.

ss_3dd91c71a3d65a93df647252ba82808f5fe3319b.600x338.jpg

44. StarOS

Following the bright footsteps of The Hex, StarOS is a short indie game about investigating a very old computer with a few games and an irritating assistant. The thing? part of the narrative is built via steam achievements. It's pretty genius and the game itself is really cool. Recommended.

water-womb-world_2.jpg

45. Water Womb World

Yames, of Discover My Body fame, comes back with another religiously themed cosmic horror short game. It's utterly unnerving.

cgEWgO.png

46. Mr. Tomatos

What the fuck. I mean you feed a creepy looking tomato. At some point it got angry and began eating human parts.

mapfriend-4.jpg

47. Mapfriend

Short game about using some sort of google maps expy to explore a few different places. It's probably way too simple for what it is atempting to do tbh, though there is some sort of metanarrative about the game that's kind of interesting.

RRbiSzFZEDn3KuPDYw2v9a.jpg

48. Gears Tactics

I am a gigantic Gears of War fan. More than Halo, to be honest. Gears Tactic's gameplay it's great. It's fun, well designed and interesting. The issue is the campaign itself which is padded by some 15 or so "side missions" that are actually important to gather new equipment and members for your rooster, but they are all restricted to the same 5 or so maps and it turns out to be extremely repetitive. Neverthless, the rest of the campaign is a lot of fun, it adds to the lore of the series which is really cool, and you end up having your favorite gears to trust and building them up is really fun.

Shoot out to Valerie "Mommy" Engel, who carried me through that campaign so hard.

Main Post

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
48: Dordogne. End: 7/21/2023.

Sometimes it's enjoyable to play a mostly relaxing game where narrative is the most important aspect. Dordogne is such a game. With some light puzzle moments sprinkled throughout the gameplay, the game can focus on a girl and her relationship with her grandmother. There's a sense of melancholy to the whole thing.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Should actually make some progress this next week - I have some vacation days that will be spent targeting my backlog/playing random stuff lol. Im already well into Pikmin 4 (its amazing, go buy it) plus a few other games. Aiming to hit Game #100 by the end of next week.

97. Exoprimal (PS5) - Such a great game, once you get past the opening few hours. There's a lot of amazing set pieces here, and the different exo suits all play amazingly well. The story was surprisingly good, and the bosses are legit some of - if not - THE best Ive faced all year. Its an uneven game at times, but its highs are dizzyingly high! Well that and shooting hundreds of dinos just never gets old. Winning formula (like adding dog to Pikmin)

98. Monster Hunter Rise (PS5) - Debated whether to include this alone, or with Sunbreak which Im about to start. But you know, 120 hours and a real ending and Im counting it as complete (but Im not done with it). Its MH, but more refined. I like the new wirebug stuff personally (works well) and the actual hunts work amazingly well as per usual. Definitely one of my absolute favourites in the series.

Next up:

Tetris Effect VR
Pikmin 4
American Fugitive
Runner
Mudrunners
Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak
Rez Infinite (trophies)
Lost more VR stuff
MGS Rising
Splatterhouse (PS3)
Avengers
NMH3
Bayonetta 3
Sonic Frontiers
Plague's Tale

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
99. Sonic 3 & Knuckles (PS5) - Knuckles run, all emeralds. S3&K remains one of those amazing games that were released back in the day for me, the mystique of it releasing in two halves and you slotting the games together to unlock the "true" version of the game, going from Launch Base to Mushroom Hill for the first time, and of course replaying all those stages as Knuckles with brand new areas, bosses etc. It was really amazing.
And the game itself holds up insanely well - the different paths keep things fresh, Knuckles different move set likewise keeps things fresh over the Sonic playthrough, and what you get is a very different yet still similar version of Sonic 3 from a different perspective. The final boss (Metal Sonic) rocks, and aside Sandpolis Act 2, I dont think there was a single act in the game I didnt enjoy. Just platforming perfection pretty much.

100! Pole Position (PS5) - Arcade Archives release, race complete. I contemplated listing this as an un numbered bonus considering the game itself is just a qualifier and one race, but the fact that I had to race PERFECTLY to finish it (no crashes, no screw ups) made me feel from a skill based perspective it counts. Compared to even Outrun, its really strict on your performance - countless runs were cut short by brushing into one car and exploding lol.
In the end you have to race several laps, no collisions on anything, handle the corners perfectly (dont break too much unless you absolutely have to) and eventually I just finished it, only had a couple of seconds to spair!
The game itself is a great time capsule of 80s arcade racers though - before Outrun (I think?), its one of the first into the screen racers I can think of, trying to go for a more "realistic" approach - the focus being learning the track and controls perfectly so you commit every corner to memory. Then for the final race, simply race good enough and hope the random enemy AI doesnt get in your way in such a way that it makes overtaking incredibly difficult (you dont want a build up on some of the sharper corners, that'll slow you down way too much and could also kill your run)
While later arcade racers like Outrun ultimately improve on the basic concept, this one will always have a soft spot with me because of its ground breaking steps in the genre.

Oh, and did I mention its insanely addictive? Because it is.

Next up:

Tetris Effect VR
Pikmin 4
American Fugitive
Runner
Mudrunners
Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak
Rez Infinite (trophies)
Lost more VR stuff
MGS Rising
Splatterhouse (PS3)
Avengers
NMH3
Bayonetta 3
Sonic Frontiers
Plague's Tale

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
HoGljCj.png

8. Resident Evil 4 - 7/10

Never played the original so I was a bit surprised by how combat-heavy the game is. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed most of the combat encounters, but the game lacked the horror atmosphere which I appreciated so much in RE1, RE2 and RE7. Still, a very fun action game which some minor annoyances, e.g. not clear when paths get blocked off for backtracking.

eNws1WU.png

9. Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales - 8/10

I played Thronebreaker at release but dropped it due to very poor balancing; every fight was basically ridiculously easy to win. The game is a lot more balanced now on the highest difficulty, even presenting a challenge sometimes. The real standout is the story though, with an intriguing cast of characters but the star of the show is Meve and her political and personal quest to restore her rule. Also loved the battle of the bridge cameo that coincides with the books!

8mxe7f1.png

10. Steelrising - 7/10

This might be Spiders' best game. Surprisingly polished, just had to reload a few times due to getting stuck in the geometry. The combat is fun but gets a bit repetitive two thirds of the way in, unless you switch it up I guess. Still, you can max out your weapons quite early. Liked the setting a lot with a lot of recognizable figures from the French Revolution. Very excited for the next Spiders project after this.

1. Remember Me (PC) | 1st Jan - 10 hrs | 7
2. Signalis (PC) | 8th Jan - 10 hrs | 8
3. Dead Space (PC) | 3rd Feb - 15 hrs | 8
4. Horizon Forbidden West (PS5) | 20th Feb - 60 hrs | 5
5. Atomic Heart (PC) | 8th Mar - 25 hrs | 8
6. Hi-Fi Rush (PC) | 29th Apr - 15 hrs | 9
7. Ghostwire Tokyo (PS5) | 3th May - 25 hrs | 5
8. Resident Evil 4 (PS5) | 26th May - 20 hrs | 7
9. Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales (PC) | 19th July - 35 hrs | 8
10. Steelrising (PS5) | 24th July - 25 hrs | 7