• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

arvan59

Aug 2, 2021
I've completely forgot about this lol. I've played quite a bit since I last updated this in February [Main Post]

10. James Bond 007: Agent Under Fire (PS2) 3/03 - 5/10
11. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2009) (Xbox One BC) 3/03- 7/10 -
decided to replay this on veteran difficulty on a whim, still a fun campaign
12. Strider 2 (PS1) 3/06 - 8/10
13. Shadow Warrior 3 (PC) 3/10 - 6/10 -
The dialogue and characters are pretty insufferable, but I do love Doom Eternal
14. PowerWash Simulator Midgar Special Pack (PC) 4/06
15. Resident Evil 4 (2023) (PC) 4/12 - 9/10
16. Save Room (PC) 4/15 - 7/10
17. Vampire Survivors: TIdes of the Foscari (PC) 4/21
18. Yakuza 2 (PS2) 4/30 - 8/10
- this and Kiwami 2 are some of my favorites of the series, just love the story and the introduction to Sotenbori
19. Crash Bandicoot (PS1) 5/19 - 7/10
20. Cassette Beasts (PC) 5/22 - 9/10 -
The first pokemon (on a surface level) to really click with me past age of 16
21. Streets of Rage 4 (Xbox One) 5/27 - 7/10
22. Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy) 5/28 - 6/10
23. Kirby's Dream Land 2 (Game Boy) 5/28 - 5/10
24. Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SNES) 5/29 - 5/10
25. Gunsuit Guardians (PC) 6/09 - 6/10 -
finished about as much as I can in early access
26. Slayers X: Terminal Aftermath - Vengeance of the Slayer (PC) 6/16 - 5/10
27. Lunacid (PC) 7/02 - 7/10
- solid, went back to the original, Japanese King's Field after this and had more fun with that despite it being more of a basic DC
28. AEW: Fight Forever (PS5) 7/07 - 6/10 - fun mechanics, but not enough juice
29. King's Field (PS1) 7/14 - 8/10
30. My Friendly Neighborhood (PC) 8/03 - 8/10 -
really charmed by this well designed piece of survival horror and how thoughtful its story is
31. Storyteller (Switch) 8/07 - 6/10 - lots of charm, but too short and the final puzzles felt too vague
32. Elden Ring (PS5) 8/22 - 10/10 - picked this up after about a year and it felt like I never stopped playing
33. Elden Ring Demake (Game Boy) 8/22 - 5/10
34. Overcooked! (PS5) 8/28 - 5/10
- love co-op, I have never loved the Overcooked games
35. Overcooked: All You Can Eat: World Festival (PS5) 8/29
36. Resident Evil 4: Separate Ways (2023) (PC) 9/26 - 7/10
37. Alan Wake (PC) 10/06 - 8/10
38. Alan Wake: The Signal (PC) 10/07
39. Alan Wake: The Writer (PC) 10/07
40. Chillquarium (PC) 10/23 - 6/10 -
a cute idler, got to the last tier of fish, love the axolotls
41. Celeste (PC) 10/23 - 9/10
42. Lies of P (PC) 10/27 - 8/10
43. Milk outside a bag of milk outside a bag of milk (PC) 10/29 - 6/10
44. Robocop: Rogue City (PC) 11/09 - 9/10 -
surprised by how much I loved it. It has this expansive, open level structure, the ability to upgrade Robocop's psychology and deductive reasoning, and a charming integration of the original film's satirical edge (though not quite as incisive, politically)
45. Ridge Racer Type 4 (PS1) 11/11 - 8/10

I'm currently playing LAD: Gaiden and loving it, just have a couple of achievements left before I master it. Just 7 more to go!

Last edited:

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Still a day left but I'm going to write up November because I'm not finishing anything else in a day.

17. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Switch, 2023) - 94:37 - November 8
18. Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name (PC, 2023) - 34:10 - November 27

I hate to say this, because I liked Breath of the Wild way more than I thought I would, but Tears of the Kingdom didn't really do it for me. It just felt like it retread too much of the ground Breath of the Wild established, and took much longer than I wanted it to. I had a much better time with Like a Dragon Gaiden, though that has its own issues. Though I was pretty happy with where we left Kiryu in Yakuza 6, I did appreciate having this extra chapter with him and felt like I had a little more closure this time around.

One more month and I'm clearly not hitting 52, but what about my original goal of just playing a bunch of longer games? Looking back at what I've played, I'm not really sure I accomplished this either. To be fair, I'm going to chalk part of this up to the shock of being laid off, but still. I think the big thing I spent time on this year that I might not have otherwise was that second playthrough of Fire Emblem: Three Houses. But I was always going to play Fire Emblem Engage, Starfield, Zelda and Atelier Ryza 3, the other long games on my list this year. Satisfactory almost feels like it doesn't count because it was so early in the year, but I guess it did also take up more time than all but three of the games I played so far this year.

December doesn't really offer a lot of hope on that front either, but that's okay because I think I'll at least get some completions in. Hell or high water, I plan to finish Forza Motorsport this month (and then probably drop it in the trash bin and never think about it again, tbh). My third attempt in seven years to complete a playthrough of Mirror's Edge Catalyst is going better than expected as well. And finally... well, I caved and bought Alan Wake 2 when it was on sale. I hope the spirits of independent music past, present and future don't condemn me to hell for giving Epic money. (P.S. Fuck Epic for what they did to Bandcamp.)

VahineCacao

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 11, 2022
MAIN POST

November
44) Super Mario Bros. Wonder (22/11/2023) - 10 hours
  • I think it's the first ever Mario platformer I managed to complete. It was so visually appealing and filled with cool ideas, you just want to see more.​
  • I managed to collect all the Seeds and do the Special World too but I didn't do the hyper duper secret level. I loved the game but not to the point of playing ALL the levels where I missed a big coin​
45) Chant of Sunnaar (23/11/2023) - 8 hours
  • When I saw this game (I think it was during the Tribeca Games Spotlight) I knew I had to play it. Hard to resist this art style and the concept was promising. Good call on my part for that one because it was amazing​
  • The game is easy enough to not make you stuck in the same puzzle for hours but it was still challenging for some parts. The most fun I had was translating from a language to another and I wish we had a little more of that. Great game, merci la France​
46) Alan Wake II (26/11/2023) - 19.5 hours
  • The only thing I want now is a FBI/investigation only game with the same scenery and creepy atmosphere. Also I really need to watch Twin Peaks.​
  • The whole Alan part was not that interesting, there's some cool ideas but the only thing I wanted was to get back and play with Saga. (Chapter 4 of Alan was the best part of the game though)​
47) Cocoon (26/11/2023) - 3.5 hours
  • Short but sweet, but really really too short. I would have easily took another 1 or 2 hours of these puzzles. The final ones were really interesting and cool, you just want to do it a little more.​
48) Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise (28/11/2023)
  • It's Rhythm Paradise​
  • I thought the Fan Club was also on this version of the game but NO, I was so disappointed​
49) Super Mario RPG (30/11/2023) - 11.5 hours
  • It started of really strong but after a few hours, you really really do the same things gameplay wise. The combats ends up having no interest, except the final boss and Culex because you can finally exploit an enemy weakness without them dying in one or two turns.​
50) Superliminal (30/11/2023) - 1.8 hours
  • I knew it was short but not THAT short. Also, the perspectives puzzles where you need to make objects bigger or smaller are cool and interesting but really feels underutilized. Too much traversals puzzle where you need to find your path, idk, most of the game was not interesting to me.​
December
51) Rollerdrome (01/12/2023) - 5 hours
  • You roller skate while shooting, or maybe it's the other way around​
  • I'll try to 100% it​
Currently playing
  • Lethal Company : with friends
Want to play
  • Yakuza 3 (and 4/5/6/7...)
  • System Shock (2023)
  • Resident Evil 4 : Separate Ways
Dropped
  • Half Life Alyx : I'll finish it someday I swear

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
56. Jusant ★★★

Climbing is a gaming staple, unfortunately an often underdeveloped and flavourless one that came in full homogenised force in the PS360 era, sparkly ledges or yellow paint, automated jumps, a means to an end to traverse around an area, finally reaching a nadir with Uncharted 4. A game that scuttlebutt says originally had grander ambitions for the series recurring scenic scrambling involving stamina and actual path planning. Alas whatever plans may have been had, they were dropped and left a plethora of dry stick holding segments, leaving my main interesting points of climbing in video games reference as the solid but not spectacular DK King of Swing/Jungle Climber duology, and that one monkey suit in Astro's playroom….oh and modern open world Zelda in a more freeform stamina focused way.
Climbing in real life has been in vogue over the last few years, I can't boulder for toffee, but I do like a good climbing wall, and now in rolls Don't Nod's Jusant to cash in on this more mechanically underexplored gaming territory right when clambering is kinda IN.

And this is where Jusant immediately hits a rockface of its own, where on a gameplay basis the core climbing feels ripe for a truly escalating set of stamina sapping feats, requiring careful planning, stamina management and more. Except the game structure is more akin to a 4 hour walking simulator, made for more casual players to not have too much trouble with and focused more on its worldbuilding. As such I felt this game had its feet on two footholds that might as well have been in opposing worlds.

I will say that I did enjoy this game throughout, it isn't bound by realism which offers some pleasingly gamey takes on handholds or gimmicks to support the base climbing mechanics. The deeper you get in the game, the more involved the design gets, it just never pushes quite as far as it could, leaving some of the stamina stuff and limitations of the cord length as almost an afterthought.
Visually lovely to look at, oozing with atmosphere and an inspired setting that adds extra flavour to a series of crags and caverns. Once more this year I found myself rapidly losing interest in the notes=story formula though, exploration to secret crevices are sort of rewarded, but said rewards are so meaningless that they feel entirely like trophy/achievement fodder (finding another stone stacking mound might be the most nothing burger collectable I've seen in some time).

57. F-Zero 99 ★★★

Well, they did it, they finally made me enjoy the SNES F-Zero game, albeit in a rather remixed and remastered manner. Nintendo's online Battle Royale offerings haven't been my bag, the first was the best, I'm just not good at Tetris so I never stuck around.
Mario 35 felt fundamentally flawed to me in numerous ways like forcing a square peg into a round hole, plus who wants to loop through 1-1 and 1-2 in perpetuity while slowly grinding out the rest of the game?
Pac-Man fared better than Mario I think? it just kinda lacks that BR tension though.

So initially an F-Zero 99, when we were all aboard the GX remaster rumour train to boot, sounded like a misfire. Instead it's the best of these Nintendo has popped out, relishing in the chaotic clusterfuck of 99 players crammed into a mix of a standard F-Zero race and Death Race, as stragglers are slowly consumed by the gulf between racers ala micro machines.
An important factor here is that despite the whole SNES flavouring, the game leverages F-Zero X's shared boost/energy bar and spin attack, throwing in the vital risk vs reward element that truly makes the series what it is to me.
There is however a problem, a skill gap problem, actually getting your Falcon or Goose dinner is a primarily purely skill based endeavour, with little luck like elements outside a fortunate late gain of player eliminating boost bar or a timely skyway track opportunity, which in itself are both elements the skilled can and will utilise. So no third partying, camping, forward planning etc here, just "are you the baddest dude on the F-Zero circuit?"
As courses get more complex, those who actually already mastered the SNES title widen that advantage significantly, while the game has a lot of dopamine hitting bar filling and small unlocks to make simply placing well a victory enough, I found it hard to stick around playing a title where actually winning felt so out of reach.
I do have exactly one Goose dinner under my belt though, and I'll likely retire with that peak.

If anything F-Zero 99 strikes me as a really cool second half of a modern F-Zero game, I now dream of classic single player on one side, multiplayer madness BR on the other that can move on from the SNES game and really shine. I dig it, it turned out to be a surprisingly strong way to revive a long dormant series that upended expectations, also a great way to remind us all that the SNES F-Zero OST is pretty bangin' outside of its known quantities.

58. Castlevania Legends

dracula-simpsons.gif

For Halloween this year, I'd pencilled in finally experiencing the inevitable trashfire of "Haunted Castle", somehow Konami left discounting their spooky games to Thanksgiving instead of Halloween, so instead I opted for my terrifying trashvania to be the surprise (kinda pleasant even) drop of the rare beast that is CV Legends on the Switch GB app.
Iga was right to strike this game from the canon, forget lore reasons, it commits game design sins that you might try to forgive for the ol' limited and screen crunched game boy.
Except this game came out in 1997, look I'll shit on the comically slow and plodding CV the adventure all day long, but I can respect that it's an early swing at a GB game that led to the pretty saucy Belmont's revenge sequel.
Legends meanwhile has no such excuse, it sucks hard at a point in time where such levels of game boy suckitude should be only the domain of licensed titles, which funnily enough have many stronger outings, forget vania for your spoopy late life GB needs, you'd have more fun as Wendy Witch.

Being a GB game, this game is mercifully brief, I think it was five levels of wank to shuffle through, the first of which felt like it took hours despite the game basically being about an hour long, repetitive and bland design abounds. The first sign of true kusoge calibre content reveals itself with the trap candle. Playing on series conventions to smash all waxy lighting into hearts, the rogue white tinged candle opens a trap door that drops you into a teeny tiny room that starts spawning a constant stream of foes, said rooms layout is expertly crafted to offer seemingly no way to actually avoid taking damage as it aims to maintain at least four shuffling zombies on screen at a time, contact damage galore! After mauling what feels like 15 or 20 of the undead, the game teleports you back to where you left off (and with the candle back in place, so obviously I whipped it again just to check…yep back down I go).

In general the whole game is something of a blur to me, level design has branching paths where some lead to dead ends which is an absolute cracker of design failing, some of these aren't actually truly worthless, just 99% worthless as they leave a piece of candle chicken for your trip back or in super special cases a sub weapon drop that you can look but not touch.
Yeah, you heard me, the vania sub weapon staples are here, as collectables to sit in your inventory achieving nothing, you get an axe sprite to wish you could throw for some needed vertical attacking.
In place of sub weapons are some type of magic I guess, you unlock one after each boss, they feel more like utility more often than not like a timestop (at least the stopwatch kinda snuck in here then), a full health heal (invaluable though thoroughly unexciting) and uhhh, maybe there was one fireball projectile? Or was that just the whip attack at level 2? Who cares, these are the worst heart consuming perks in the series I've experienced.
There's also a one time use per life super state, hit a+b to become invulnerable and face tank bosses, an addition that feels like an admission of crap design on the devs part.

Now the actual true turd of this game starts rearing up in stage 2, before going all in on the vertical focused stage 3, enemy positioning and spawns. We've got some real Ninja Gaiden 1 respawns happening in here, defeated foes will reappear at the earliest possible pixel, you'll start entering rooms where you have no time to respond to the new enemy bearing down upon you and take contact damage before you've even got a good look at the room. Fortunately for us connoisseurs of crap, we're blessed by modern technology rewind functionality, which I made liberal use of once the game decided that bullshit was the path to escalating challenge, no shame, rewind those blind attacks, rewind those dead ends, avoid anything that would require actually replaying a stage in defeat.

Eventually, in another misguided break from series conventions, you fight Dracula not at his famed castle peak, but deep under the castle in some dank ass cave, feeling less like you're journeyed to tackle the awakened evil and more like you arrived ahead of schedule to wake him up from his sleep yourself before sending him right back to it. And yeah, that's Castlevania Legends, the one with the lady Belmont we don't speak of being its only claim to fame, wait, here's a new claim to fame, my first one star review for these threads!

59. Payday 3 ★★

Because sometimes your plan for a new multiplayer game goes pear shaped, wont spend much time here, this game was pushed out the oven underbaked and that alone says a lot. Fundamentally I can't help but feel the whole stealth option is piss poor and the game deliberately makes that so to force the clearly preferred frantic gunplay heist instead. Why are so many actions unable to be performed unmasked? Why is masking up a permanent state? The art museum stage is like a comical encapsulation of how lopsided the game is against going for a ghostly stealth run, is it possible? Sure, just don't expect it to be particularly well structured for such an outing, because we all know that of all heists, art museums are the ones where you go guns blazing, or should I say, the ones where you deactivate security protocols by holding your mobile phone over randomly scattered wi-fi hotspots like you're trying to get signal, HACKING
We got a few laughs at least, but let's just say that when I uttered "guys, I'm beginning to think that this game is in fact, not very good", there was a unanimous agreement and we never returned having dabbled in each of the game's few stages which I'll count as "finished enough".

el_galvon

Jun 13, 2019
November update:

Main Post

mlhliMh.jpg

59. M.U.S.H.A. (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis - 1990) | Nov/05 - 1hr | 8
The Good:
Frantic action with a very interesting aesthetic
The Bad: The final stages do not maintain the same level as the rest of the game

A nice shmup with beautiful graphics and a good challenge.

BaEPyPh.jpg

60. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES - 1991) | Nov/06 - 15hrs | 7.5
The Good:
The world full of puzzles and secrets
The Bad: The challenges in dungeons are sometimes very frustrating

Another classic to cross off the list. I enjoyed exploring the Hyrule map, but most of the dungeons I didn't find very interesting.

It's funny to think that there wasn't another Zelda for the SNES, I feel like a sequel could be more polished and fix the issues I had with that game (like Link's Awakening does).

Still, it's easy to understand why this game is so influential and beloved.

NXTIjO3.jpg

61. The Punisher (Arcade - 1993) | Nov/09 - 1hr | 7.5
The Good:
Many destructive elements in each level and several weapons to use
The Bad: "Pretty boy" is a really annoying enemy

One of those classic Capcom beat 'em up that still holds up pretty well. The visuals are great and the stages are pretty fun.

JelYuHI.jpg

62. Mario Tennis (Game Boy Color - 2000) | Nov/17 - 8hrs | 8
The Good:
The RPG mode is actually pretty engaging
The Bad: Attributes evolve in a weird way

Was really surprised by how much I enjoyed the Game Boy Color version. The gameplay is well adapted from the N64 version and the RPG mode is very interesting, as you play as a student in a "Tennis Academy" and battles through the rankings from each Jr and Senior classes, eventually joining the Top 4 from the Academy and going on a competition in another island.

9MF9fre.jpg

63. Bust A Groove (PlayStation - 1998) | Nov/21 - 5hrs | 7
The Good:
The music and the characters
The Bad: There's not much besides the arcade mode

Always had curiosity on this game. Very fun to learn how to play, the characters are all pretty unique and the musics (both JP and US versions) are incredible. Even if it gets repetitive eventually, and there's not much to do besides beating the game with each character. But man, the musics are really good.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Finished up November. Main post is here.

November (50/52)
47. Super Mario Wonder - Switch - 10 hours
48. Robocop Rogue City - PS5 - 10 hours
49. Thirsty Suitors - Xbox Series X - 6 hours, 36 minutes
50. Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name - PS5 - 13 hours, 42 minutes

Well almost done, only 2 games to go and I should finish up the list. Probably be the last time I do this, too lol.

December (52/52)
51. Alan Wake 2 - PC - 16 hours, 41 minutes
52. WarioWare: Move It! - Switch - 2 hours

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ah December... As the year draws to a close, I kinda wonder if I can reach that magic "200" barrier! Ive got Alan Wake II to finish, as well as Yakuza Gaiden to 100% (I mean, technically that one is already "finished") so it could be possible, especially as I focus on retro and indie stuff this month.

174. Mega Man X (Evercade) - Another absolute timeless classic here, along with Mega Man 2 this is pretty much my definition for "perfect" in gaming. The game is masterfully designed so that you can get through it with or without powerups, the weapons are all ace, the levels are well designed and the music is amazing. The SNES shows off by doing my bigger, detailed bosses compared to the then aging NES. Gorgeous graphics, super smooth gameplay, and more complicated boss fights... aside maybe X4 I dont think I enjoy any of the X games more... 2 and 3 are good, 5s ok, and then... well 8 tried darn it!
My run had me do a buster run for almost all bosses save for Sigma's final form, grabbing all the power ups as I go... Ive come to appreciate how the boss refights are split up in this one, like MM1, compared to most games that do the teleport system... Id rather space the fights out rather than go through each one again right after another...

Not really much more to say on this one, Ive played it tons of times and I dont think there's a single thing I dont love about it!

Next Up:
Every Console/Handheld (unique) Spidey game... seriously
Super Mario RPG
Runner
Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak
Rez Infinite (trophies)
Lost more VR stuff
MGS Rising
Splatterhouse (PS3)
Bayonetta 3
And a game generation worth of SFVI play!

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

A thread for people that are trying to play 52 games in a year. Tell us how you're doing and what you are going to play next - claim a post and update us on your progress! How do I take part? Claim a 'main post' where you will list all your completions for the year. You can use fancy images...

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Main Post

[15/52 completed]

Final Fantasy XVI
- Platform: PS5 | Rating: 8/10 | Date finished: December 1st

FF16-Release-Date-Set_12-08-22.jpg

Started this back when it first came out in June but only made it about 10 hours in before putting it aside. Finally came back to it after Thanksgiving and finished it up over the past week. It's a pretty good game but I never found myself enamored by it. It takes way too long to get the different Eikons which is one of my biggest gripes. I get that they wanted to space them out for story reasons but you basically just have Ifrit, Phoenix, and Garuda for the first 15-20 hours. Once you have more than those initial 3 eikons, I think the combat opens up a lot more with all the options you have. Speaking of combat, it's a lot of fun and the abilities are satisfying to use. There are a few bosses with annoying attacks but overall the game is fairly easy. The dodge window is very generous. As for the eikon battles which are the biggest draw of the game, they start out pretty on rails but later on they feel more like actual battles at times. You don't have a whole lot of options for special abilities while playing as an eikon which makes it feel a little tedious, but they're still fun moments. The Bahamut fight was incredible in terms of spectacle and scale. There's a lot of downtime in between the major story beats and I think the pacing suffers because of it, but when shit pops off it's really good. The side quests are largely boring IMO, and I ended up mostly sticking to the ones that give you upgrades like extra potions, more HP from potions, chocobo, etc. because the rewards for normal side quests are lacking and they often can feel like filler. I have a lot of side quests left and I'm not sure I'll bother with the rest. Might do the hunts because there are some unique bosses in there from what it seems, so that's neat at least.

As far as the story and characters go, it's a mixed bag. I think there are some really great moments here and there but some characters like Jill and Benedikta are given early prominence only for Square to squander their potential. Clive is the main protagonist and I like him a lot, but I do wish other characters were given more of a chance to shine. Jill is mostly just tagging along with Clive and we don't get much background for her beyond her brief mission for revenge halfway through the story. I really liked Dion too, but thankfully I do feel like he was given a solid arc. The story ends in a relatively unsatisfying way IMO with a lot of collateral damage, but it is what it is. I'm curious to see what the DLC will bring and if it will help to make the ending feel a bit less underwhelming. So yeah, it sounds like I didn't like the game that much but overall I enjoyed my time it. I just think it had some fundamental issues that hold it back from being a truly great game which is a bummer. I think it's a game that is well worth a playthrough (and I'm interested in the upcoming DLC) but not sure I'd revisit for another playthrough.

RedShift

Oct 27, 2017
Main post
Week 48: 51 Games played

mural.png

Only one game finished in November as I continue to slog through BG3.

51. Pikmin 4 (Switch)
I was nervous going in because I hated Pikmin 2, but this game is Pikmin 2 if it was fun. I think it might actually be my favourite of the series, or at least up there with 1 and 3. I love Oatchi, and I really like the feeling of the hub area which you slowly populate. The switch from the caves being randomly generated to having actual level design, and puzzles makes such a huge difference. The overworld also is a big step up from the second game. Highly recommend both to anyone who's played the series before, and to anyone who hasn't (this is a great jumping in point)

One more game to go. I'm in Act 3 of Baldur's Gate 3, just hoping that Christmas doesn't take up too much time and stop me finishing it.

Memory Pak

Aug 29, 2018
5GddURE.png

32. Kirby's Dream Land (1992, Switch - GB NSO) ★★★☆☆
This is the first Kirby game ever, back when he was still white rather than pink, and could not absorb foes yet. A lot of future series staples were already present though, including bosses like Whispy Woods, Kracko the thundercloud, and of course King DeDeDe. The game is a short, breezy, 5-level affair, clocking in well under an hour tops (and that's including a boss rush to stall for time). Its runtime works in its favour though: the game can continually impress with new big sprites and level backgrounds, which might grow stale if they were drawn out over entire worlds.

h2Z6hH0.png

33. Kirby's Dream Land 2 (1995, Switch - GB NSO) ★★☆☆☆
By this time Kirby was already a full-fledged franchise, with pinball and mini-golf spin-offs already out before this sequel landed. His characteristics were rapidly solidifying too, with copy abilities originating from Kirby's Adventure on NES, and animal companions getting introduced here. Their addition is a mixed bag however: they speed up your movement, but if you show up with the wrong one you'll wind up platforming with a fish on land, or swimming with the owl. Occasionally the game does this on purpose, and in those cases it works to add some light extra challenge, but just as often you're ditching your buddy to stop them dragging you down.
Unfortunately Dream Land 2 grows stale quite fast. The last set of mirrored stages are neat, but half the worlds feel extraneous, and it doesn't help how they get progressively longer. I'm not into its SNES sequel either, so maybe these non-Sakurai directed platformers just aren't quite for me.

RRkH7fA.png

34. Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (2000, Switch - N64 NSO) ★☆☆☆☆
Bit of a hot take perhaps, since the game isn't awful, but I liked almost nothing about playing it besides the environments and cute picnic moments. It's a slow, dull platformer with forgettable music relative to the franchise's pedigree. It's got several good tunes, but also a lot of meandering synthscapes and tracks full of irritating chimes and bells. There are some selling points to Kirby 64, but few of them come without reservations. For e.g.: the "2.5D" backgrounds hold up well thanks to their angular designs, but the camera sometimes chooses angles which result in situations where you can't see ahead, or enemy traps get purposefully obscured to engineer cheap gotcha-moments.
Likewise, the game's main innovation of combining 2 copy abilities to form new ones unfortunately results in a shallow novelty. Sure, it's funny to turn Kirby into a fridge or snowman, but with so many possible combinations picking up new powers after finding one you like becomes a risk, rather than a reward. The only reason to interact with the system outside of curiosity and short-term amusement is to collect 100% of the items (which feels damning for the game's main raison d'être), and doing so presupposes an interest in prolonging your stay in the already quite boring levels.
Some stages have strong theming (the factory), but outside of a single chase and some vehicles sections you're going through level 1 exactly the same way as the last one. Iteration within the game feels very minimal, resulting in a samey experience spread very thinly across its runtime.

QMhAmbV.png

35. Kirby & The Amazing Mirror (2004, Switch - GBA NSO) ★★★☆☆
Coming straight ouf of Kirby 64 the movement in Amazing Mirror feels like a breath of fresh air. If it wasn't for Kirby's slow turning, I'd invoke comparisons to Shovel Knight degrees of speed. Amazing Mirror features an interconnected world, and at times approaches Metroid-like world design. Unlike in that series however, it's mostly a detriment here. Without persistent upgrades outside of heart containers, you frequently run across obstacles you can't clear without a certain power-up you last saw 8 screens ago. Add the amount of one-way doors into the equation, and suddenly that short trek back involves looping around the entire area. It also doesn't help how the game's map system is impressively uninformative, so it's difficult to remember which power-up you need to bring to which precise map square.
Admittedly it does seem impressive how the game can track 4 players across the game world, and the idea of 2 players simultaneously fighting different bosses across the map to speed up completion is cool. As a solo player however, you need to mop up the entire world yourself, and will get irritated at the constantly respawning enemies and frequent backtracking. Luckily the strong finale means the game ends on a high note.

hR6YeSg.png

36. Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble (2000/2001, Switch - GBC NSO) ★★★☆☆
Puzzle game centered around rolling Kirby through stages using motion controls. Pretty novel for its time and hardware, but it's not a game I've heard about often. Inititally I found the controls quite annoying, especially since jumping is mapped to a shaking motion (a mistake you'd see Wii games like DeBlob make too). But from level 4 onwards you're combining mild puzzle elements with the longer hallways and can really gain some speed. The game gets surprisingly gnarly towards the end, but the final boss fight ends on a cute note to make it worth it.

One more month and I'm clearly not hitting 52, but what about my original goal of just playing a bunch of longer games? Looking back at what I've played, I'm not really sure I accomplished this either. To be fair, I'm going to chalk part of this up to the shock of being laid off, but still.

Sorry that happened to you. :( Hope you'll be able to land a new gig soon!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
175. 1942 (Evercade) - One of my "talents" if you can call it that, is to basically be able to play anything without complaining about it being too old or "unplayable" today. That lets me appreciate games no matter their age, and see them through the lens from when they were initially released and appreciate the impact they had on games going forward. 1942 is one such game - it did amazingly well for Capcom at the time, created a new series for them that lasted for several excellent arcade games AND spawned so many ports I'll eventually play through. That said I equally cant stand the fucking game. Here's why:

The game itself is a vertical scrolling shoot em up, based in WWII where your flying to Okinawa to take on the Japanese. The game is super simple - shoot down enemy planes over 32 similar stages. You get few power ups (bomb, gun upgrade, wingmen, and the loop de loop which serves as an evade/invincible frames). Its simple to pick up and play, and for the first few stages, its darn fun. And honestly, for most arcade goers who probably played one or two games until they ran out of cash, its excellent, clear why the game did so damn well.
But... playing it for longer stints of time and the boredom sets in and that's where my dislike of the game also comes in.
As mentioned, the game has 32 stages. And they are all very similar. And it drags the game down over time... I played this in chunks thanks to the Evercade having save states - while I played it in chunks the fact that later stages got more annoying, dragging things on more and more anyway...

Overall, its a good game for the time and I can totally see why it did well. And its ports for the most part were great as well. But its probably the hardest Capcom game for me to return to after all these years due to its length. Doesnt really explain why I keep returning to it so often though lol.

176. Ghouls n Ghosts (ZX Spectrum) - And on a more positive note, here's a pretty decent port of Ghouls n Ghosts. Up front - the one thing this game really needed was infinite continues, seems weird to complain about a GnG port being hard, but it is lol. Its not "impossible" hard, but it definitely isnt a game I wanted to play with limited continues, starting at the beginning after running out (yay for save states).

So this port of GnG has only 5 stages. Its missing the second loop... sort of. But actually does something kinda unique with it, more on that in a moment.
The levels are actually fairly sized, they dont feel cut down like Ghosts n Goblins for the Spectrum were. All the areas are there from the arcade with only the final boss being missing (again, no second loop). While the game still manages to be tough due to enemy placement and a little jank here and there (the platforming in stage 3 can be really darn annoying at points), I feel it represents the arcade game pretty well, again considering the woefully weaker hardware. I kinda expected the fourth boss (the big monster you shoot the sores of) to be cut, but its still there. not as dangerous (the flying worm things are all gone) but hey the machine put in a good effort. Likewise the obstacles in stage 3 are much more sparse, compared to how manic it is in other versions, here its actually pretty relaxed. If it werent for some issues with jumping/platform collision detection Id say its actually a fairly straight forward level.
Even stage 5 is pretty accurately recreated - you have the initial section with several Red Arremers, the ascent on the ladder, fights with Astaroth(s), the wall monster section, and the platforming bit before the end stage boss. Again there's less enemies on the whole (aside the infamous winged demons!) and the cloud enemies are gone entirely, and the stage boss is made way easier due to restricted movement, but its a decent representation. If the game ended after that stage, Id say its excellent and give it a gold star. But...

Upon clearing the stage the first time, your booted back to the ladder climb. Your told to find Princess Prin Prin, initially I assumed you were supposed to beat the final boss again - you even get the special weapon you'd usually get on your second run AND it functions correctly - with its ability to decimate enemies and destroy enemy shots... I love it!
BUT
The game actually wants you to not use the weapon at all weirdly, as I realise that you just looping around over and over when beating the end boss, I started looking for the Princess. And it turns out there's an alternate route - where you'd usually go up to fight the wall creatures, instead take a somewhat obscured corridor to the right and drop down. This leads to a platforming section where ultimately you need to do some amazing feats of platforming while evading spikey coconuts as you reach the platform the princess is on... is what I think your supposed to do. See, remember I complained about jumping being janky? Well here there's a jump that seems so pixel perfect that I could never figure out if it were possible. Logic suggests it is or Im doing something wrong, but it'd hardly be the first Spectrum platformer to be released in an unwinnable state (cough Jet Set Willy) so I instead abused the system. In GnG when you get hit you fly backwards, and you also are propelled up a bit. So using this and said coconuts, I purposely jumped into one, used the hit state to propel myself onto a otherwise "unreachable" platform, and quickly ascend before my invincibility state dissipates. It worked after several tries and I win. No real end boss, no fan fare, just the Princess sprite greating me.

Overall, aside that last climb, its a good port. Compromised a bit due to system constraints but still very fun and very playable. Definitely one of the best Capcom ports for the Spectrum Ive played thus far.

Next Up:
Super Mario RPG
Runner
Rez Infinite (trophies)
Lost more VR stuff
MGS Rising
Splatterhouse (PS3)
Bayonetta 3

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

A thread for people that are trying to play 52 games in a year. Tell us how you're doing and what you are going to play next - claim a post and update us on your progress! How do I take part? Claim a 'main post' where you will list all your completions for the year. You can use fancy images...

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
68: Super Mario RPG (Remake). End: 11/27/2023.

A remake that sticks very close to the original, with some QOL improvements, and some new mechanics that not everyone will be pleased with. At its core it is still the original Super Mario RPG with a fresh coat of paint. And for many people, myself included, that is exactly what they wanted. I'm curious to see where things go from here, and I have to imagine I'm far from alone on this.

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
I am back and I try to beat it again! I am not very hopeful since I have two kids now but I just finished building my gaming pc two days ago with receiving my 3080ti fe - so maybe that'll help!

Here we fckn go!
And happy new year to everyone.

1. Portal with RTX - 01.01.2023 (PC)
2. Neon White - 16.01.2023 (PC)
3. ADACA - 11.02.2023 (PC)
4. Hi-Fi Rush - 17.02.2023 (PC)
5. Returnal - 05.03.2023 (PC)
6. Aperture Desk Job - 04.04.2023 (Steam Deck)
7. Resident Evil 4 Remake - 19.04.2023 (PC/Steam Deck)
8. The Callisto Protocol - 04.05.2023 (PC/Steam Deck)
9. OlliOlli World - 24.05.2023 (PC/Steam Deck)
10. The House of the Dead Remake - 27.05.2023 (PC)
11. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse - 10.06.2023 (Steam Deck)
12. Cuphead (for the 7th time I think) - 04.07.2023 (Steam Deck)
13. Star Wars Jedi: Survivor - 07.07.2023 (PC)
14. Cassette Beasts - 16.07.2023 (PC/Steam Deck)
15. Gravity Circuit - 21.97.2023 (PC/Steam Deck)
16. Ghostrunner Project_Hel - 24.07.2023 (PC)
17. Lost in Play - 25.07.2023 (PC/Steam Deck)
18. Paw Patrol The Movie - Adventure City Calls - 02.08.2023 (Steam Deck)
19. Hogwarts Legacy - 08.08.2023 (PC/Steam Deck)
20. Warhammer 40.000: Boltgun - 14.08.2023 (PC/Steam Deck)
21. En Garde! - 19.08.2023 (PC/Steam Deck)
22. Shadow Tactics Blades of the Shogun - Aiko's Choice - 22.08.23 (Steam Deck)
23. Signalis - 25.08.2023 (PC/Steam Deck)
24. Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty - 29.08.2023 (PC)
25. Super Mario 3D World - Bowser's Fury (Switch)
26. Steelrising - 07.09.2023 (PC)
27. Lunistice - 09.09.2023 (PC/Steam Deck)
28. Final Fantasy 7 Remake Intermission - 18.09.2023 (PS5)
29. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge - 19.09.2023 (XBox Series S)
30. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - 20.09.2023 (PC)
31. I Expect You To Die 2 - 20.09.2023 (Quest 2)
32. Resident Evil 4 Remake Separate Ways DLC - 26.09.2023 (PC)
33. Alan Wake's American Nightmare - 05.10.2023 (Steam Deck/ PC)
34. Cocoon - 06.10.2023 (Steam Deck/PC)
35. Streets of Rage - 06.10.2023 (Steam Deck)
36. Streets of Kamurocho - 07.10.2023 (PC)
37. Streets of Rage 2 - 07.10.2023 (Steam Deck)
38. Streets of Rage 3 - 08.10.2023 (Steam Deck)
39. Streets of Rage 4 - 09.10.2023 (Steam Deck)
40. Sonic The Hedgehog - 09.10.2023 (Steam Deck)
41. Sonic The Hedgehog 2 - 10.10.2023 (PC)
42. Sonic The Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles - 11.10.2023 (Steam Deck)
43. Sonic CD - 11.10.2023 (Steam Deck)
44. Sonic The Hedgehog 4 - Episode I - 12.10.2023 (PC)
45. Sonic The Hedgehog 4 - Episode II - 12.10.2023 (PC)
46. Sonic Mania - 13.10.2023 (Steam Deck/PC)
47. The Last of Us Part I - 16.10.2023 (PS5)
48. CRISIS CORE –FINAL FANTASY VII– REUNION - 17.10.2023 (Steam Deck/PC)
49. Super Mario Bros. Wonder - 22.10.2023 (Nintendo Switch)
50. Spider-Man 2 - 08.11.2023 (PS5)
51. Sonic Superstars - 20.11.2023 (Steam Deck)
52. Dead Space - 03.12.2023 (PC)

Sidenote: If I make it this year, I'll retire from core gaming and move on to a new hobby only sticking to like three or four games a year.

And that's 52! Done!

tbassett

Jan 8, 2019
I managed to complete 52 games. Dang that was not easy. Here is my list:

1. Tunic
  2. Somerville
  3. Vampire Survivor
  4. Sonic 2
  5. Pentiment
  6. High on Life
  7. No More Heroes 3
  8. Signalis
  9. Callisto Protocol
  10. Castle of Illusion
  11. Contra 3 Alien Wars
  12. Alan Wake
  13. Goldeneye
  14. Hifi Rush
  15. Jet Grind Radio
  16. Sonic 3
  17. LAD Ishin
  18. God of War 2005
  19. Little Nightmares 2
  20. Wo Long
  21. 007 Agent Under Fire
  22. Super Mario World
  23. Deathsmiles Arcade
  24. Ghostwire Tokyo
  25. Punch Out Wii
  26. Jedi Survivor
  27. Ravenlok
  28. RE: Code Veronica
  29. Planet of Lana
  30. Ghouls N Ghosts
  31. Diablo 4
  32. From Russia With Love
  33. Warhammer 40K Boltgun
  34. THPS4
  35. NBA TE
  36. Persona 5 Royal
  37. Venba
  38. MW3 2011
  39. Stray
  40. A Short Hike
  41. Starfield
  42. Mortal Kombat 1
  43. Cocoon
  44. Super Mario 64
  45. Resident Evil 4 Remake
  46. MW3 2023
  47. Jusant
  48. TMNT Turtles in Time
  49. Super Mario Wonder
  50. Like a Dragon Gaiden
  51. Dead Space Remake
  52. Tiny Thor
Favorites of the year for me are Starfield, Hifi Rush, Pentiment, Wo Long, Cocoon, Signalis and Persona 5

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
actually been finishing up a few games lately, mostly in the 4 hour range (a Portal replay, another replay in Tales from Space, Agent A, Itta) and am up to 38 now, which if I kept at it with shorter games would deffo be possible to catch up, but at the same time I'm off work for a week now until the 16th so I won't do much gaming outside of WoW when im home (ironically its when I'm at work where I play most of my shit, on the Switch lol), so I'll still probably fall short of the 52. We'll see, maybe when I'm back to work, in the 2 weeks from the 16th until the end of the year I can make something happen, if I continue to play shorter games. Its silly but I don't want to break my streak damn it lol.

VahineCacao

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 11, 2022
MAIN POST

December
52) Professor Layton and Pandora's Box (05/12/2023) - 12 hours
  • Like the first one, played it on my phone. It was really cool, I love the city and I didn't remember this on as much as the first game.​
  • Not a fan of the "twist" for the story though.​
  • I completed all the puzzle but I really didn't like the Bonus Puzzles. It's too much MATH, Layton these are not puzzles, it's just math problems please leave me alone. I gave up for a few of them.​

Currently playing
  • Lethal Company : with friends
  • Hi-Fi Rush

stn

Oct 28, 2017
18. AEW Fight Forever (XSX) - I can see the No Mercy comparisons but the game is missing a lot of stuff (including polish). Still fun. [7/10]

Next: Wanted: Dead (XSX)

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of progress made this week lol. I'm kinda still hoping to crack that 200 barrier, and since Im on another retro streak at the moment, that could potentially happen. Plus a Goldeye series playthrough, up next will be the Activision reimagining! Yakuza is almost done so that'll be added soon, as will COD2. Then its back to Alan Wake II and a few other indies Im playing. And Half Life. And...

177. Goldeneye (Series X) - Sorta on a mini Goldeneye spree currently, and decided to start with GE on the Series X. Its a pretty straight forward port of the N64 version, and is for the most part great. First thing I noticed to my relief when starting the game was that they'd tweaked the controls for the Series X - so it plays far closer to a standard modern FPS - dual sticks for movement and camera, triggers for shooting etc. This makes a tremendous difference compared to the N64 version (well, unless you play with two controllers) or the Switch version out of the box.
Sadly the game is only 30FPS, and even then there's some weird dips/hitches at points. Its not frequent, but you do feel it when it happens.

Now for the game itself - back on release the game was a pretty big deal. MP aside, the missions in the game were all really well designed (save for Control) and difficulty was more than just more enemies or taking more damage - but rather giving you more mission objectives to complete. The Dam (the first level) is an excellent example, as in Agent and Secret Agent you only need to jump off the dam, but in 00 Agent you venture into a new area (after first attaching a modem elsewhere) in order to intercept data - this area is completely optional in the other versions of the mission, and really fleshes out the mission nicely.

Since 00 is still somewhat annoying in places, I stuck to Secret Agent for now, which feels just about right difficulty wise for me. Mission wise there's a ton of classics here - between the memorable first level in Dam, the nightmare that is Control, the epic showdown on Cradle, and my favourite - the fast paced clostrophobic train mission. Id never cleared Secret Agent before, only Agent, so there was still a bit of a learning curve on a couple of stages, but on the whole things went fine. A couple of objectives were sometimes a bit vague, some annoying shit with scientiests in the Caves, and the shock of the turrets in Control took some getting used to but I managed to clear them all after a few tries. It even let me do Aztec for the first time, which was a blast!
The only thing Im conflicted on mission wise is the lack of checkpoints - now the stages themselves are fairly short, its not like I need 'em, but sometimes when you get fucked for the nth time on a level, it'd be nice to not have to do the whole thing again especially when it happens right at the end. But I feel that more of a moan than a legit requirement!

Gameplay wise, with the modernised controls, I really did appreciate just how fast the game's pace is - you move pretty fast (except when climbing ladders) and as a result the shooting/action feels so damn satisfying - attacking a huge group of goons as you strafe around them popping them in the head (and various other areas which lead to hilarious animations) never got old, even when I was redoing Caves for the 5th time!

Soundtrack wise, this is one of the most memorable of the era for me. Tons of excellent tunes that go along perfectly with the levels, and manage to tie it all back to the classic Bond theme more often than not.

All in all, aside a few small issues here and there, I loved replaying GE. It holds up nicely, the objective based difficulty is still the best way of handling difficulty in a FPS ever for me, and it hurts that it seemingly was never really touched on again outside of Rare's pseudo sequel Perfect Dark (well... and PD Zero I guess... but PD did it waaaaaaaaay better). Id say this'd be the best way of playing the game these days... that's if Rare hadnt already made an amazing remaster of the game years ago that's absolutely amazing - equally good control, 60FPS, proper remastered graphics, toggle between said graphics and the N64 originals... and they weren't aloud to release the darn thing! Up next on my completion list should be said remaster, because it leaked onto the Internet and is fully playable via emulation. Huzzah!

178. Goldeneye Remaster (Xbox 360) - The unreleased, basically finished remaster of GE for the 360 thankfully leaked onto the Internet and while I feel it has a couple of issues/things that are unfinished, the quality of the remaster is right up there with Perfect Dark's 360 remaster...
So, as an unreleased game - a few points which are not a problem so much with the game but rather issues because its unfinished:
On the boat level - the water is just flat out not textured. Its just blue outside the boat.
In the caves, likewise water is still pretty untextured, clearly not finished.
In the Egypt hidden level, there are certain doors which are "invisible" - as in you can see through them as if its an open space, but then you hit an invisible wall which can be opened like a door.
Music doesnt play on the mission select after finishing a mission.
Music doesnt play for either the Xenia (character, not the Xbox emulator!) boss fight, or the final Janus boss fight (when he's almost defeated).

So, aside those tiny issues, how's the rest of the game? Pretty fucking great as it turns out!

So the game is flat out the same as GE as per my comments in 177. above, but now compared to the N64 original we get:
Enhanced graphics (including VASTLY superior character models and textures)
More modern control scheme (much like what was done with the Series X port)
Gigantic FPS increase - game now runs at 60FPS (I did have some instances where the emulator seemed to stick at 30 but I think that's the emu not the game)

All the levels are the same as they were on the N64, when replaying the levels as Id already played the game just prior to the remaster I knew where all the items etc. were and there wasnt so much as a guard out of place as far as I could tell. It really is just the N64 game with a fresh coat of paint.
Now, while that alone is probably enough for people to say "oh so it always looks better", Im gonna have to be my usual self and be like "they didnt quite capture the look of the original" at points. Now, 90% of the time its way better - like the Moonraker level looks way better here, especially the ruins area under the launch site), but there's a handful of instances where I feel it drops the ball:
The two levels in the snowy surface area lose a certain something... The sky is completely different in the first stage, its brighter, and kinda loses that cold, low vis feel from being in a snowstorm/bad weather type environment - sure a good portion of that is console limitations, but its one of those instances where that worked to the games advantage. The second is way worse though, again the sky is wrong, it being pitch black, without that wonderful red hue suggesting that the sun was still setting on the horizon, and again I feel the better draw distance works against it despite technically that being a welcome improvement...
Lastly, Cradle has a background - you can see the Cuban jungle below, and... I dont like it. Its not a great background as is detail wise, but it completely ruins my mental image of this stage - where your hundreds of miles in the air, so much so you cant see the ground below through the clouds. This one just feels like your nowhere near as far up, and it sorta sucks.

Brightness is another issue at points. The game is overly dark at points and so it makes it hard seeing certain obstacles (Jungle's cave is SO bad at this). No brightness control either, which is really annoying.

But to end on a high note, the character models are excellent. Vastly more detailed than what we got in the N64 one.

Performance though is a universal improvement. No matter which other version you play - N64, Switch, Series X, you aint getting the game running this good. Its silky smooth and is THE way to play this game. Likewise the controls complement the smooth frame rate.

I dont really have much else to say... Its the same game but the frame rate alone makes it vastly superior. Plus the visuals are almost always better (with a few nit pick exceptions). This is definitely THE way to play this game if you know how. Otherwise the Xbox Series port is still a really darn good port.

179. Fantasy Zone (Sega Mark III) - After playing the amazing arcade version of FZ so much it was nice to hit up the MKIII console port, and... its amazing. Its obviously a step down graphically but the gameplay is so close (aside replacing two bosses with new ones) that I cant help but love this one as well.

Gameplay wise its your basic shoot em up game - take out the bases that spawn enemies, avoid bullets, shoot anything else that moves and grab coins. Then grab the 7 way spreader gun from the shop and cause more carnage! After all the bases are destroyed the boss will spawn - these are big creatures all with their own attack patterns, but are all fairly straight forward if you know what your doing. The new added bosses fit the game well, and are great fun to fight - not too easy but not too hard either.

The game itself is addictive and has a nice number of secrets/cheats to uncover (I love the infinite ammo cheat, certainly turns the tables on the bosses!) and as per usual daddy OPA needs a heavy weight dropped on his head to defeat him - so dont spend all your money before getting to the final boss! Overall, this is one of my favourite arcade ports for any system, its incredibly close to the original, plays great, sounds amazing and is infinitely replayable.

180. Alex Kidd in Miracle World (Sega Mark III) - There are three things that hinder AK from being an otherwise great game - the slippery platforming, having to cheat to continue, and that fucking Rock Paper Scissors mechanic!
Otherwise AK is a pretty pleasant platformer - it has your usual variety of levels (castle, lava cave, forest, swimming levels etc.) plus some unique vehicle power ups/levels that definitely help it stand out from the pack. However anyone whose played this throughout the years probably noticed two issues as mentioned above - Alex moves like he's on ice and using rollerskates. Precision jumping is a nightmare since the momentum you get from a running jump can ruin you, especially if your jumping onto a small one block platform. In the last castle there's some crazy precise jumps that'll really test you.
The second issue is the Rock Paper Scissors stuff - you'll come up against bosses that force you to fight in this style, and I loathe it. Now granted they forever pick the same choices but its such a shitty way to handle encounters that I cant help but complain about it every chance I get.
The rest of the game is actually pretty fun. I think the level design is solid IF you get the hang of the controls/handling, then you can clear stuff like that final castle or the forest. But if you cant, I doubt you'd ever clear said forest stage... or even reach it.

181. Alien Storm (Sega Mark III) - Maze like maps, weak weapons with bad fire rates and hilariously limited reach, one hit kills and badly designed boss fights...
Yeah, to say Im not a fan of the MKIII port of AS is an understatement.. Your default weapon is pathetic - it has a low rate of fire, low damage and until you can replace it, it drags the game down... Things dont get much better when you get a better weapon though (especially as losing a life means losing said weapon). The maps are maze like so its a chore to explore, dodging enemies is better than fighting, and the bosses tend to feel unfair since again, lose a life and your basically fucked due to default weapon... Except the last boss ofcourse because you have no choice BUT to do it wit said default weapon. And its an absolutely miserable experience. All I'll say is, yay for rewind features.

182. Mega Man (Evercade) - Ye old original release of the Blue Bomber, its often seen these days as... not a good game. People can be quite harsh on it, and I feel that's kinda unwarranted at points. Its not Mega Man 2, that's for sure. Its aged, its rough in places, but is it bad? Nah, not by a long shot, its still a really solid platformer, with great level design on the whole, solid mechanics, enemies, bosses etc. Then again on a good day I can clear this without continuing or losing lives, can buster only defeat bosses including Yellow Devil etc. so maybe my perception is skewed a bit.
But even revisiting it all these years on, I really still enjoy the heck out of this game - bosses like Elec, Guts, Cut etc are memorable designs, proper classics, the level designs on the whole I find a blast to replay, even stuff like the Guts Man moving platform stuff. Only part I dislike in both Wily and Ice Man's stages are the hovering platforms that shoot - these are sorta broken, at points the platforms wont rise, so your technically stuck without the M Platform (and dont get me started about how you fall through the platform if your damaged while standing on it!)
But otherwise, I really do enjoy how fast paced these stages are on the whole, and while bosses can be pretty harsh when you dont know how (like how Fire or Elec Man can go nuts), when you know how to tackle them, they are easy to no damage, buster only clear.

All in all, despite being eclipsed by many a MM game in the years since its release, I just cant stop replaying this one when I have the chance. Its a nice, short replayable experience that always challenges me, and just feels good to play (when you know how).

Next Up:
Super Mario RPG
Runner
Rez Infinite (trophies)
Lost more VR stuff
MGS Rising
Splatterhouse (PS3)
Bayonetta 3

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

[/QUOTE]

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
183. Secret Command (Sega MKIII) - Its Sega's answer to Commando! Only nowhere near as good. The main issues I have with SC is that movement is really slow and shots are way too big (coupled with slow speed, evading is annoying)... It makes for a really frustrating experience - if you have a number of enemies coming at you, and grenades, your in for a really tough time. Its only around 5 stages long, with a particularly bad final boss wall that will test your patience as much as your reflexes... There's a particularly bad part where you go through a small arched tunnel and enemies can basically hide behind said tunnel so you cannot see them or their shots at all... that one took me many tries to get through... Commando did a similar thing a couple of times in its levels, but again its still way easier to clear these sections in that game due to the pace/control. Dont even get me started about crossing through water in this game!

184. SDI (Sega MKIII) - A port of the arcade game, this one has you controlling a satellite that is shooting down debris and missiles that are being shot at the planets. As well as your satellite getting blown up, there's also a health bar for the planet at the bottom of the screen - it cant take too much damage else it explodes!
The game is divided into two sections - offense and defense. The first half - offense - is a horizontal side scrolling shoot em up where your shooting down the debris, while trying to stay alive. Once you reach the end of the section, you move onto the defense side of things - a static screen shooter stage where you defend the planet against the various debris and projectiles being shot at the planet. The more damage the planet took in the offense half, the less it can take in the second half... this really gets tough in the last few levels as its naturally harder to take everything out.
The game's controls are sorta weird - you move the crosshair on the screen to target where you wanna shoot (like in Missile Command by Atari), but by holding down another button, you move your satellite - you need to utilise both control styles in the offense sections in order to evade enemies.

My only real issue with this one is the default movement speed is too low. Like many shoot em ups of the time (Gradius, R Type etc.) your default movement speed is garbage, you gotta grab that powerup (and not die) else good look finishing some of these stages. Its an issue with shooters as a whole, whoever first thought movement speed should be a power up should have been stopped back in the 80s lol, it really does piss me off...

Otherwise its a great addictive shoot em up. The switch between styles is a great idea, the control scheme works better than you'd think, and its so satisfying positioning the target just right to take out everything in a stage to skip the defense segment entirely, and get a one up for your troubles!

185. Maze Hunter 3D (Sega MKIII) - The worst thing I can say about this game (aside your attack being a power up) is that its boring. You explore mazes, find the key, and escape. Easy enough, aside boredom you'll have to fight off randomly spawning enemies that do an amazing job of getting in your way. Its all very annoying and certain enemy spawn patterns lead to a nightmare when it comes to trying to complete stages.
Its competently designed otherwise, its really not bad (not like Secret Command) but I struggle to finish it in one sitting because it just plods along slowly... Not one of the MKIIIs best games.

186. Viewfinder (PS5) - A brief diversion away from MKIII games, Ive also been working through Viewfinder on the PS5. Its a really clever puzzle game that involves you using phots, a camera, and manipulating the environment to reach the exit. There's a story that starts out pretty ignorable but actually starts hitting pretty hard in the last 3rd or so... that one caught me off guard, but its worth sticking with.
The puzzles though are the real show piece for this game - initially you'll just be exploring the short levels, finding a photo left around, and then using the photo to create a new path - usually this means you use said photo to bridge the gap to reach the exit.
Then you find a camera and you can take photo's of your own, which adds a new wrinkle to these puzzles. Then later you find the camera cant take photos of certain parts of the environment so you need to find ways to manipulate the environment in order to pass these areas... then things get crazier still at the end.
In terms of difficulty, I was pretty pleased with it. There's a couple of challenges that took me a fair few minutes to figure out, but I only ever needed a guide for one which was an optional challenge involving a melon... In general the game is super clever when it comes to how you can manipulate the envionrment and use the various things at your disposal, and there's a general satisfaction to figuring the puzzles out. Id argue this one does puzzles better than Cocoon, definitely better than Planet of Lana. There's a small demo available that gives you an excellent idea of how the game plays, give it a shot!

187. Call of Duty 2 (Xbox 360) - Slowly working my way through the COD campaigns, and its been years since I replayed 2. Thankfully it holds up really well, and like the original COD, its mainly focusing on doing video gamey retellings of major battles in WWII, Captain Price returns (yay), Nolan North voices a sergeant in the American army and its impossible to not think of him playing Nathan Drake each time he speaks...

As before, the game is broken up into different campaigns - Russia, UK, America.

Gameplay wise, it mainly feels identical to COD1, though the set pieces have more flair and production to them, probably owing to better technology (and thanks to being BC, the game now runs at 60FPS locked on Series X, it would dip sometimes on the original Xbox). The only major change is how health works - it was a health bar with first aid kits originally, but now its Halo style recharing and... Im not a fan of the change. I felt COD1 handled things perfect tension wise and part of that was thanks to the health bar, now its just the usual "dont worry, you'll heal" like in other shooters, so you can play rather sloppy. Also, I couldnt find a way to lean in this one, it was so handy in COD1 and is greatly missed here.

My only complaints with the game, aside the health, is mainly collision detection related. I constantly get stuck on objects and NPCs are fucking morons most of the time, not being able to clip through them when you have a grenade coming your way, dooming you to restarting, is really damn annoying. Still not a fan of "defend/hold until reinforcement" style bits either, they still end up annoying due to bad NPC AI, and you left hoping you scrape by, somehow.
Otherwise, the missions are well contructed, Hill 400 was probably my favourite of them. It manages to be pretty tough, but fun/not frustrating like some other late game missions. All in all, its still solid. Oh, and grenade spam sucks, how could I forget... I know that only gets worse in 3 lol.

Eventually gonna get to:
Super Mario RPG
Runner
Rez Infinite (trophies)
Lost more VR stuff
MGS Rising
Splatterhouse (PS3)
Bayonetta 3

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
188. Quartet (Sega MKIII) - A MKIII game which always takes me a couple of tries to really warm to! The game itself is a 2D platformer, where the main goal is to find and beat the boss to get an exit key, then find the exit. While its your standard side scroller you do go through doors at points leading to new areas, so you gotta figure out your bearings, remember where that exit is, and return to it when you get the key.
Now, if you want to get the ending, there's another objective - all levels have stars to find (one per), and if you miss any, when you clear the penultimate stage, you'll get booted back to the stage where you missed your star to find it again.

The game itself can be fairly harsh until you learn it. Controls are pretty snappy (unlike Alex Kidd in ice world), but there is one humerously difficult jump right at the beginning of the game (to get the first jetpack), and it took me so many tries to nail it! That aside, the game is one of the fairer games Ive played for the system, dont get me wrong its hard, but the hidden power ups to get tons of health back really do go a long way! That plus jet pack makes things way easier for you IF your careful. As one hit and you drop it - you can pick it up again but if you fall to the bottom of the screen from the top, your facing a struggle to grab the damn thing again.

The final boss/level is surprisingly easy, it just involves destroying these towers, then a mounted set of turrets which are easily defeated... honestly the darn dragon/dino boss the stage prior was more of an annoyance!

My one critisism in the game is the GnG levels of enemy respawn you face... some will respawn the second they are destroyed which makes moving forward an annoyance, made harder by getting hit and needing to go back for the jetpack.

189. Fantasy Zone II (Sega MKIII) - Remember my point about doors and different areas in Quartet? Well this game fucks you over bad with rooms! But dont worry, the game is still good, but the good ol' radar from FZ was sorely needed here, as you can be going from room to room trying to find the one where enemies remain and its a complete chore...

But Im getting ahead, FZII is the sequel to the arcade classic, and this time being a MKIII game, I guess they thought it needed fleshing out. And... Im not sure I agree with the choices here... The game itself plays identically, you fly left to right, take out enemy spawners while evading shots and enemies, then fighting bosses. In the original its simple - single wrapping screen, then it fades out and its boss time. But this time, as mentioned above, you have several rooms to deal with, and levels get longer and longer as you go... and there's also a boss door you gotta find... Basically later levels are as much you going through empty areas as it is actually fighting.
Another side step change are the spawners - the health they have is much bigger here, and bullets alone will take years to destroy them, your bombs are a much more important part here and really help speed things up. Bosses for the most part (aside 7 and 8s) are simple, probably easier than the ones in FZ since you do have a health bar that can be extended.

Overall? Its still great fun. Its just a bit more frustrating and lacking compared to the laser focused original. Had they included a radar at least, or better yet not done the non linear area progression, Id love it way more.

190. Yakuza Gaiden (PS5) - And here's the big one... 90 hours (and counting) because I just cant help myself with this series! If your wondering why there's a big number of MKIII games suddenly popping up in my list, here's the reason (there's a dozen to play within Gaiden), not to mention Model 3 arcade games like Daytona 2 and Fighting Vipers 2 with other mini games like Mahjong, Pool, Hostess romancing... oh and it has a story, lets not forget that!

Gaiden is actually a pretty short game. The chapter length is less than half the usual number for the series, though arguably chapters are longer so it sorta evens out in a way. Its one that takes place parallel to Yakuza 7, and honestly the story might be the weaker part of the game. Dont get me wrong, its still packed with great characters, moments and an ending that had no right to be as heavy as it was, but its a bit lacking compared to other recent games like Judge Eyes or Yakuza 7.
Returning from Lost Judgment is a good combat system. Gone are the dark days of early Dragon Engine "drunk and lumbering" feeling combat, here Kiryu is sharp and smooth, with two badass fighting styles - one that harkens back to his Yakuza roots, and one that gives him web shooters and rocket shoes... and its amazing! Returning after being absent from LJ are "long fights" - scripted, linear fights as part of the story where you fight many enemies and bosses, Im super happy to have them return every chapter, and have some genuinely amazing moments for the game. Bosses are actually more fearsome now due to their super armor, but that's really just a challenge to figure out the new ways to beat on them (which I quickly figured out! While I wont jump into spoilers, I will say the final chapter is amazing in terms of combat (especially fully leveled up) and there's so many great moments that it completely fixes the issues I have with 6 being Kiryu's former final game.

Also returning is the fighting arena, and boy oh boy do I fucking love this mode. Aside from the usual motley crew of dudes to fight, there's a surprising dose of nostalgia and fan service in some of the fights, so you'll get to see all sorts of stuff that reference past games (hope you didnt skip them!)

And the side content... I obviously loved the MKIII console you can play - it has a ton of (mainly) good games, saving, rewind functions and even the ability to change regions. But that's actually the lesser side mode for me. The real shining jewel is the arcade - long since forgotten Model 3 games finally see modern ports - this game features the absolute legend Daytona 2, and my surprise favourite fighter - Fighting Vipers 2! Daytona 2 is as amazing as it was on release, a good portion of my time spent was on this, with me getting a little better at tracks every time! FV2 is a pretty nice pick up and play fighter that's just the right side of flashy and has depth (unlike Sonic Fighters which has the depth of a puddle, but is nice otherwise). Also present is awesome futuristic racer Motor Raid, and perennial classic Virtua Fighter 2.

Plus there's a ton of other stuff to do - a nice juicy completion list, side stories, secret bosses, tons of gambling and skill mini games, and just that unmistakable Yakuza vibe. Is it the best in the series? Not close. But did I absolutely love it? No doubt about it, it exceeded my expectations to the point where even after 100%ing it and plat'ing it, Im still playing! No doubt my game of the year.

Eventually gonna get to:
Super Mario RPG
Runner
Rez Infinite (trophies)
Lost more VR stuff
MGS Rising
Splatterhouse (PS3)
Bayonetta 3

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
60. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: Booster Pass
2023071222083100-16857zd92.jpg

It's been nearly a decade of mario kart 8, to think there was a time where in that period we'd have had 4 individual mario kart titles, still if there was an entry to keep alive as the most infrequently updated service game, this was the one to do it with, the base MK8 was always among the series best, if not arguably the best.

Count me as one of the people who used to say that they'd be happy to have the Tour tracks added as DLC for 8, that it finally happened doesn't surprise me, that they went and doubled the track content of 8 deluxe in general on the other hand, that does surprise me.
And while it comes at the cost of the visual opulence that the original release of MK8 came with, I'll honestly happily take more grottier tracks than fewer lavish ones, even if the background of Athens cityscape looks like a work In progress clay project.

Time for everyone's favourite phrase in critique, a mixed bag, that's really the quickest way to summarise the 48 tracks here. We've got stone cold classics better than they've ever been, we've got classics now worse than they've ever been, unexpected highlights from the GBA additions (riverside park, snow land, Boo Lake) and two crushing disappointments from said GBA additions (what did they do to Sky Garden and Sunset Wilds?)
Arguably the real draw from this was dragging the MK Tour unique tracks out of mobile prison, these tracks heavily divide opinion on quality, the circumstances in which they were created, that being a borderline on rails MK game, limits them in a number of aspects, but ever shifting routes per lap create a varied albeit messy compromise on creativity. Interestingly you can see the tour tracks getting better and better as they go in, earlier outings like Tokyo and London are plain and just not all that interesting, while later outings in Singapore and Bangkok massively outshine them.
There's even a few non city related "new" tracks, Yoshi's Island is a GOATed nostalgia rush while Sky High Sundae is a mess of clipping and camera woes that feels out of place with the rest of the game.

And after much begging, we even got new characters added outside the scope of the original pass, something I both massively appreciate but also feel childishly salty about because those chucklefucks really put Peachette in over Dixie Kong, and I'm still mad, I'll be forever mad, but apparently not mad enough to stop myself from getting a gold star on every cup, my mark of completion if you will.
Now please do something fresh with the series.

61. Sonic Superstars ★★

ksk1zD0.gif

It's that time of the year again, how will sonic speed headfirst into another obstacle and spill his rings this time? We're back in classic Sonic territory and as such it already has a strong foundation to work with, they got the physics down so there's none of this sonic 4 malarkey, it's up to Arzest (uh oh) to deliver strong level design to accompany it, to follow up Sonic mania and…
Okay cutting the crap, this ain't no mania, it's not a Sonic 3, or a Sonic 2, it's an initially enjoyably average outing that then slips into actively being bad with its tedious bosses and rom hack level design post game.

There is however good in here, let's focus on that first. Five playable characters, all expressively animated and with a neat enough spin on the core sonic gameplay, the new emerald powerups are a pretty sweet addition that makes collecting chaos emeralds from the accursed special stages more rewarding, as well as adding extra wrinkles to level design ala the Wisps from colours.
Superstars gets by quite well simply because that fundamental momentum meets pinball focused design is always enjoyable to me to an extent.
However, this is the first time I stopped to wonder the question that haunts era's sonic fans on a regular basis, "am I playing this wrong?". An increasingly common query for those coming into classic Sonic beyond its heyday, it's about being fast right? But I keep crashing into things? Usually this is where you point out speed as a reward and the layered stage design, these are things superstars clearly attempts, it just doesn't do it very well.
The game is hamstrung by a perplexingly zoomed in field of view that makes bumbling into obstacles all too easy, when travelling vertically the camera just isn't all that interested in showing what's coming up above. This extends to the multiple path layout where split second reactions are required to reach certain pathways due to how suddenly you spot them, the emerald powers can work as a bandaid fix for this as they allow mobility and even slow down abilities, it's all very close but not quite.

Audiovisuals are unfortunately lacking for the series, outside the character models of course. Music is 30% okay to 70% "please take those damn Sonic 4 synths away from Jun!" .The zones are a good enough batch of series tropes that ticks all the usual boxes, Grassy Hill, Factory, aquatic temple, desert, pinball/casino adjacent, sky ruins etc,
The backdrops really let the zones down, one zone in particular, a golden temple of sorts which is one of the most tedious zones in the series to me, has a blurro vision backdrop that reminds me of turning up the 3D slider in New Super Mario Bros 2, outside of the one act cyber zone (for some reason all the game's best zones are just one act long here) there's nothing that really jumps out as a fresh and novel concept to drop Sonic into, though I'll shout out Press Factory using background elements as stage gimmicks, even if the first of which leads to some spotty design at points.

The boss fights here come across as an overcorrection to the emerald abilities, if you could summon a screen full of shadow clone sonics to sprint around for 10 seconds in the older games, Eggman's robots would blow apart in mere moments. So now all the bosses take one hit before going into i frame purgatory, overanimating, and often then shifting into the background so your ability can time out before they next attack. Combined with the amount of hits each boss takes and the frequency of them, you can in fact spend more time in slow drawn out boss encounters than the actual level itself. A late phase defeat can send you back three to four minutes, especially on a first run where you were having to figure things out, if these were a few isolated boss stages I'd be more tolerable towards it, as it stands though this is some of the worst boss design in 2023, and yes it does in fact get worse.

The post game, or second half of the game considering the true ending segment is locked behind it, is where madness lies, when Arzest seemed to study the absolute mess of Sonic 4's episode metal as a how to guide to remix existing level design for increased challenge, and oh boy, is it something.
Think of all the (ironically) easiest ways you could make a level's design more difficult, spikes everywhere? More enemies in random places? Add bottomless pits in areas that used to be solid ground? You better believe this second run is full of it. In moderation this'd be a good start, but there's no moderation here. Starting up the revamped version of the lagoon zone is actually hilarious because the screen is immediately besieged by spiketraps running off the ceiling, across the floor as an ill omen for the rest of the game. One late game zone has spinning bars of death right above the player as the stage starts, obscured somewhat behind the opening act text, feels like it's only there to punish people like me who tend to jump at the start of each act to get the character moving quicker.

Bosses now take more hits, and in some case remove phases where you could more easily hit them in favour of the ones where you can't, this escalation of sheer fuckery reaches a peak that has to be played to be believed as the new final boss of this run has numerous one hit kill moves, a cheap shot GOTCHA floor destruction attack to pit death you, and it's made up of two phases with no checkpoint. it is arguably not actually that difficult a boss, it's just that it abuses the one hit ko attack in the last phase so a single slip up after yet another 6 tedious minutes puts you all the way back to the start, absolutely cracking stuff.
Oh and there's the whole super sonic boss fight to wrap it all up, among the weakest in the series with a straight up bemusing design where they whipped up an entire dense moveset for this spectacle boss, and it turns out that none of the attacks actually harm the player in any significant way, leaving the challenge to actually be really collecting RNG drop rings against the clock, and the clock is 8 to 10 minutes of waiting around to get your licks in, truly they did not understand the assignment here.

Sonic Superstars is just hard to rate, I think I enjoyed parts of it, even the romhack redesigns gave me a kinda "I can't believe what I'm seeing" perverse joy. There's just too many design flaws, too many moments where I fell through the floor, died to being crushed by something I shouldn't have (and in one case, died from literally NOTHING, crushed by the weight of Arzest's sloppy design perhaps). While I'm ragging on Arzest, there's a very real sense that including their work as Artoon, this could be their best game yet! Which passes or at least equals the low bar of Yoshi's Island DS, so uhh congrats are in order? Maybe next time eh

62. Super Mario RPG ★★★

As a localising shunned PAL lander, the first time I saw any SMRPG characters was on the internet, and it was like looking into a strange alternate reality, Boshi the edgy blue sunglasses wearing Yoshi? Grim reaper like Shy Guys with scythes? Viking Wario expy Booster? I was intrigued for sure, but wouldn't be able to get my hands on it until the Wii's hanabi festival gimmick for the virtual console, you know where you paid 100 or 200 points more for the same rom being sold on the NTSC store because reasons.
SMRPG could never live up to its internet reputation as someone who had already been through three Paper Mario games and two Mario & Luigi outings, what was a bold and exciting venture for those who could play it at the time, for me it was like the enjoyable yet rougher first draft of what would become both Paper Mario 64 and M&L Superstar Saga.
So the announcement of a remake didn't have me frothing with hype, I am however glad to have gotten a chance to revisit this game with one of its most glaring flaws turned into one of its greatest strengths. That by the way is the visuals, yes prepare for hypocrisy from the DKC trilogy lover but SMRPG SNES is a kinda ugly game, its take on pre rendered visuals to more approximate a 3D game leads to a rougher art direction, not without its charms in places, but rapidly surpassed by the styles of its two aforementioned successor series.
The remake juices up these boxy isometric dioramas with clean and sharp visuals that pull off the trick of looking better than what the Switch should be able to pull off, somewhat ironically after my slating of the original look, this was probably what it felt like for those playing the SNES game in 1996. The visuals come at the cost of some chugonomics, especially when water is involved, fortunately it's stable where it counts in battle.

Now I know it's been a while since I played the OG game, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't quite as easy as the remake here. Modifications to the combat system that reward perfect timing with splash damage and maintaining timed hits/blocks with a continuous stat buffing counter that carries between battles are good ways to add a bit more meat to the otherwise simple and effective battle system of old. It's just the feeling that the enemies don't quite get the boost they need to not completely roll over, making this one of, if not the easiest games of the year where I played a Kirby game no less. As a fellow era user pointed out to me, Kirby is in fact a fitting comparison to what SMRPG remake offers, it's an entry level game that does just enough to maintain attention, snaps along at a pace that prevents boredom, and then flips a mammoth difficulty spike postgame switch for good measure.

There's something to be said for an RPG that clocks in at 9-10 hours, some may feel shortchanged, yet it still felt like I was taken on a full journey (even if the moleville segment was so brief that I'd legitimately forgotten it existed until blasting through it in this remake). Isometric platforming is always a spotty proposition, though I do like that it's here to give that Mario flavour, even with how slippery it can be. There's an idea out there that what SMRPG has that the other Mario RPGs don't, is carrying much more of that Squaresoft vibe that makes it stand out.
Honestly though, I kinda don't see that too strongly outside of the fact that your (small) party is more traditionally presented here and the two OC characters Mallow and Geno being mage like party members, I still find the various things that make SMRPG what it is to be more reminiscent of casting off Square's more typical stylings of the time.

The remastered soundtrack makes for tasty ear sustenance, I slept somewhat on the original soundtrack and I feel foolish for doing so, Yoko Shimomura never really came close to matching her work here in later Mario spinoffs outside a few scattered themes across the entire M&L series and the overlooked sparks of hope OST.
I think there's room to continue this branch of the mario series, and I'd like to see what the team behind this game could do when not having to meet the design criteria of a 1996 game, with paper mario leaning more and more adventure game (I'm a heathen, I like it, they just need to fully drop the RPG pretences) and M&L worn into the ground where it then perished, there's room for more SMRPG, where hopefully they add a hard mode to function as a normal mode next time.

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Made a quick update to my main post and I'm "only" at 32 games right now. Still, that's way more than I usually plan so I'm happy with that. I also played a bunch of huge games so I take this as an accomplishment of my part.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Note - numbering was a bit off on previous posts, as I've been one behind my actual total for several posts now. So that's why Im "jumping" from 190 to 192. Almost at 200!

192. Gargoyles (PS5) - A real travesty of a release this one. Graphically and audio wise the game is pretty darn nice, for the few characters that are actually in the game that come from the series, they look great, but those are few and far between. This is yet another shit heap of a Disney America game where the games look pretty nice, and control so damn bad you'll never normally see later levels (think Lion King levels bad, only way worse). The first couple of levels up to present day are... functional, but then things completely fall apart. There's enemies that take forever to defeat and have no real good ways to do so without taking damage (you basically just mash attack and hope), and boss fights are so unforgivingly bad that you'll fall down pits over and over - especially for the weird spider/elevator... thing, dont even get me started on the final boss.
The Foundry level is abject garbage, made by a studio who was either under extreme crunch or just... couldnt make a good game. Feels harsh to say but its not something that could have been playtested and given the green light, the level of difficulty is high, thanks to so many one hit KOs, bottomless pits, and controls so unresponsive Id forgive you in assuming that my controller is disconnected lol, trying to evade or move has so much lag that only with rewind abuse did I clear these last couple of levels.
Ive honestly not played a retro game quite this bad... I dont get remasters like these - why bother remastering the game and not fixing some pretty damn glaring problems. Its just a waste of everyones time, a waste of the IP...

Oh, but on the brighter side, Quake 2's remaster is fucking phenomenal - this has nothing to do with Gargoyles, I just didnt want to end things on a sour note. Buy Quake 2.

Eventually gonna get to:
Super Mario RPG
Runner
Rez Infinite (trophies)
Lost more VR stuff
MGS Rising
Splatterhouse (PS3)
Bayonetta 3

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

[/QUOTE]

Mar 19, 2021
Completed the challenge a few weeks ago and posting now! Full list of game completions this year below, I'll probably get a couple more done. What an insane year, a lot of 9's and 10's for me. Included a few live service games, mainly if I played more than 10 hours of them. Might do a bit of write up later on.

1. PlateUp! (PC) - 8.5 - January 11
  2. Pikmin 3 Deluxe (NSW) - 9 - January 15
  3. Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (PS5) - 9 - January 15
  4. Dead Space Remake (XSX) - 9 - January 30
  5. Hi-Fi Rush (XSX) - 10 - February 2
  6. Pizza Tower (PC) - 9 - February 4
  7. Season: A Letter to the Future (PS5) - 8.5 - February 5
  8. Metroid Prime Remastered (NSW) - 10 - February 20
  9. Wave Race 64 (NSW) - 8 - February 20
  10. Sin & Punishment (NSW) - 8 - February 26
  11. StarFox 64 (NSW) - 8 - February 26
  12. Tetris Effect: Connected (XSX) - 9 - February 27
  13. Journey (PS5) - 9 - February 28
  14. Gorogoa (NSW) - 7.5 - March 2
  15. Hades (NSW) - 9.5 - March 2
  16. Rez Infinite (PS5) - 7 - March 2
  17. Huntdown (NSW) - 9 - March 7
  18. Super Mario Maker 2 (NSW) - 8.5 - March 9
  19. Metroid Fusion (NSW) - 8.5 - March 11
  20. Octopath Traveler II (PS5) - 9 - March 22
  21. Resident Evil 4 (2023) (PS5) - 10 - March 28
  22. Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon (NSW) - 8 - March 31
  23. DREDGE (NSW) - 8.5 - April 1
  24. Terra Nil (PC) - 8 - April 3
  25. Advance Wars 1: Re-Boot Camp (NSW) - 9 - April 24
  26. Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores (PS5) - 8 - April 27
  27. Advance Wars 2: Re-Boot Camp (NSW) - 8.5 - May 4
  28. Golden Idol Mysteries: The Spider of Lanka (PC) - 9 - May 5
  29. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (XSX) - 8.5 - May 9
  30. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (NSW) - 10 - June 3
  31. Humanity (PS5) - 9 - June 12
  32. Diablo IV (XSX) - 8.5 - June 19
  33. Street Fighter 6 (PS5) - 9 - Jun 30
  34. Pikmin 1 (NSW) - 9.5 - Jul 1
  35. Final Fantasy XVI (PS5) - 8.5 - Jul 5
  36. Dave the Diver (PC) - 9 - Jul 16
  37. Planet of Lana (XSX) - 8 - Jul 17
  38. Gravity Circuit (NSW) - 9 - Jul 20
  39. Pikmin 4 (NSW) - 10 - Jul 24
  40. Venba (XSX) - 8 - Jul 31
  41. Stardew Valley (PC) - 9 - Aug 3
  42. Blasphemous II (NSW) - 8 - Sep 4
  43. Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon (PS5) - 9.5 - Sep 24
  44. Baldur's Gate 3 (PC) - 10 - Sep 25
  45. TREN (PS5) - 9 - Sep 25
  46. F-Zero 99 (NSW) - 9 - Sep 26
  47. Golden Idol Mysteries: The Lemurian Vampire (PC) - 8.5 - Sep 28
  48. Super Mario Bros. Wonder (NSW) - 10 - Oct 27
  49. Cocoon (XSX) - 9.5 - Oct 28
  50. Marvel's Spider-Man 2 (PS5) - 9.5 - Nov 1
  51. Alan Wake II (PS5) - 10 - Nov 15
  52. Pocket Card Jockey: Ride On! (iOS) - 8 - Nov 16
  53. Counter-Strike 2 (PC) - 8 - Nov 17
  54. Jusant (XSX) - 9.5 - Nov 19
  55. Super Mario RPG (NSW) - 8.5 - Nov 23
  56. Starfield (XSX) - 8.5 - Nov 30
  57. finity. (iOS) - 8.5 - Dec 5
  58. Fortnite (PC) - 8.5 - Ongoing
  59. Lies of P (XSX) - 8.5 - Dec 12
By platform:

PS5 - 14
XSX - 11
NSW - 22
PC - 10
Quest 2/PCVR - 0
iOS - 2

2023 releases - 39

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
193. Powerwash Sim Back to the Future pack (PS5) - More Powerwash Sim this week, this time the BTTF pack which unsurprisingly has you cleaning a number of vehicles and areas from the 3 movies. Otherwise its business as usual, there's a couple of trophies to trigger certain little easter eggs from the movies (like seeing the Delorian time travel after you finish cleaning it, and then reappear shortly afterwards. The attention to detail on the vehicles (the train especially) is ace, and the gameplay is as addictive as usual. Up next for the game is W40K stuff, which should be a blast lol. Hopefully they keep up with these licensed DLC packs.

Eventually gonna get to:
Super Mario RPG
Runner
Rez Infinite (trophies)
Lost more VR stuff
MGS Rising
Splatterhouse (PS3)
Bayonetta 3

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
194. Half Life (Steam Deck) - One of the most impressive games back in the day... with unquestionable one of the most bone headed final areas in any AAA game Ive ever played. One that ages more and more with each replay.

The Deck improvements/implementation for the controls is excellent btw. Super playable and customisable and it leads to an incredible experience. All the buttons map perfectly to an action, even quick save/quick load are mapped to a convenient button command and trust me your gonna need that!
The game itself skews a bit harder than I remember. Not so much for combat (though enemies arent harmless), its more the high amount of platforming, some of it requires precise movements. And as the game is from a time where hand holding was unheard of, some of the places you gotta go arent exactly clear! There's a few bits that require you to do some pretty precise platforming to reach obscure locations, and that's actually the way your supposed to go!

Each section feels pretty lengthy, and mostly pretty unique - so it never really feels like your doing the same thing for 10 hours, but rather a new mechanic is introduced every chapter or two which spices things up. That + the platforming and you'll always be on your toes. The military are a legit threat, and the aliens get more dangerous as you go as some pretty powerful ones show up (in bigger numbers) at the back half of the game. My only complaint is some of the small ones hit like a truck and are a nightmare to hit...

So all in all, its a great ride, figuring out where to go next, fight through the groups of enemies, explore some more etc. And looking back on when this was released, it was truly a revolutionary game. Amazing stuff... is what Id be saying if Xen wasnt in the game, an ending so fucking terrible that Id honestly say it could never be rated 10/10 because it ruins the game this much... and since its at the end of the game, its not even like you can psyche yourself up to get past it onto better areas... its just several chapters of shit, each even more shit than the last... The enemies used are insanely annoying, ammo cant really be wasted since while you shouldnt be starved, you cant exactly waste it either (and hitting flying enemies aint exactly a piece of cake...), navigating is annoying, as the place looks justifiably "alien" and at times its unclear which way your supposed to go...
This culminates in not one but two terrible boss fights... And honestly, the end fight is up there with Doom 2's as "this is complete shit". It completely sours my experience with the game, and makes it harder and harder to replay it... I basically should just stop at the portal and start HL2 and say "yeah he just like, warped straight there!"

Eventually gonna get to:
Super Mario RPG
Runner
Rez Infinite (trophies)
Lost more VR stuff
MGS Rising
Splatterhouse (PS3)
Bayonetta 3

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Main Post

header.jpg

24. Zwei: An Arges Adventure
A comedy action rpg to finish my year. This was a blast. Terrible controls and some truly galaxy-brain mechanics weren't enough to stop me from enjoying this very silly game. It's funny, gorgeous and has an incredible soundtrack. And I found the grind fun after a while. I focused on main story only, so I missed a lot of extra dungeon content. I don't think I'll go back for the extra hard optional bosses but I like that there's more to do.

Oct 25, 2017
Here's my ongoing list for 2023:

1Donut CountySteam
2Vampire SurvivorsSteam
3Woflenstein: CyberpilotSteam
4Doom VFRSteam
5The Callisto ProtocolSteam
6Batman: Arkham VRSteam
7Rick and Morty: Virtual Rick-alitySteam
8Lost CaslteSteam
9Psychonauts in the Rhombus of RuinSteam
10Killing Floor: IncursionSteam
11Rez ∞Steam
12John Wick ChroniclesSteam
13Haiku, the RobotSteam
14Crisis Core ReunionSteam
15Dead SpaceSteam
16Katamari Damacy RerollSteam
17Super Stardust PortablePS5
18Persona 5 RoyalPS5
19Wolfenstein: YoungbloodSteam
20Resident Evil 4Steam
21Ghostwire TokyoSteam
22Dead CellsSteam
23Dead Cells Return to CastlevaniaSteam
24Titanfall 2PS5
25Sonic CDSteam
26Save RoomSteam
27The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the KingdomSwitch
28Freedom FingerSteam
29A Short HikeSteam
30The Last CampfireSteam
31MonacoSteam
32Monument ValleySteam
33Monument Valley IISteam
34Devil May Cry 5: Special EditionPS5
35Gravity CircuitSteam
36Devil May Cry 5: Special EditionPS5
37Dave the DiverSteam
38Dr. Fetus' Mean Meat MachineSteam
39The Knight WitchSteam
40Kaze and the Wild MasksSteam
41Remnant From the AshesSteam
42CayneSteam
43Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's RevengeSteam
44Sonic 3 & KnucklesSteam
45Grapple DogSteam
46The Adventure PalsSteam
47KaikanSteam
48Bloodstained Curse of the Moon 2 Steam
49Remnant from the Ashes: Subject 2923Steam
50GrisSteam
51New Super Lucky's TaleSteam
52Super Lucky's TaleSteam
53Final Fantasy PIxel RemasterSteam
54Final Fantasy II Pixel RemasterSteam
55Terror of HemasaurusSteam
56Final Fantasy 16PS5

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
<< Previous Post | Main Post | Next Post >>

JAvn5QT.png

49. Lethal Company

I've never had emotional whiplash this hard. One minute I'm laughing, the next I'm holding my breath in terror, the next I'm cheering from the top of my lungs.

Lethal Company is a 4 player co-op (I have no idea if you can play it solo, but you shouldn't) where you are an intergalactic scavenger, scouring the universe for scrap to return it to The Company. The Company sends you to deserted wastelands with dangerous wildlife, and you only have a limited amount of time to grab what you can before the sun goes down and the wildlife gets worse. You only have your friends to rely on, so come prepared with flashlights, walkies, and weapons.

In practice, it's about teamwork and extraction. You can all go into a facility together and die horribly. You can have one person stay behind on the ship and use the radar to spot danger and shut off traps. You can have a "runner" who transports findings between the scrapyard and the ship. In my experience, the game is best when you have a plan and it all goes horribly awry, you have to improvise to stay alive, and coming out on top despite being the only one left. However, the game doesn't take itself seriously, so it's no real loss if you keep dying and losing your "progress" because just being in the game and doing shenanigans is fun.

When your friends die in this game, you get to hear their final words – sometimes incoherent screaming, sometimes deadpan expressions of acceptance – before their mic cuts off and they're thrown into a separate lobby where they can spectate the living. If you're lucky, your friends will die within your range so you can see whatever killed them and run the fuck away, or scavenge their bodies. If you're unlucky, they'll die on the opposite side of the map and you'll have no way of knowing unless you stumble upon their corpse or whatever killed them. All the while they get to spectate and yell at you or cry at you or laugh at you, and you'll never know what they're saying. When your friends aren't around, the game feels so large and cold and scary, and you feel so alone and vulnerable.

This review is probably a little disjointed. Bottom line, Lethal Company is equal parts fun and terrifying and it is only in Early Access. I can't wait to see it grow even bigger and better.

yCyLPY9.png
50. Butterfly Soup

I played this game years ago in the early 2010s or whenever it came out. I was a questioning young woman who dated another girl in middle school but shied away from that in high school. I also was totally, completely, helplessly weeby, so Butterfly Soup caught my attention as an LGBT visual novel for young adults still figuring themselves out, who were also massive nerds. Now, upon replay, as an adult woman, I felt an explosion of nostalgia. But before that, the game itself:

Butterfly Soup follows four young women just starting high school: Diya, an athletic wallflower; Noelle, cynical and studious; Min-seo, perpetually angry and destructive; and Akarsha, resident weirdo. Each girl gets her own chapter that delves into snapshots of their lives, their fears for the future, their rocky relationship with their parents, and their budding feelings. While they've been friends for a while (with Min-seo recently moving back after spending a good chunk of their childhood out of state), they really begin to bond when they all join the high school baseball team.

Diya and Min-seo are the main focus of this game, with their stories focusing heavily on their close childhood friendship, their parent's disapproval of their friendship, and their blossoming romance after they reunited.

This game brought back the positive feelings I had back in middle school when I was new to love and giddy about all my firsts. I'm not used to fondly remembering that period of my life, so I'm glad Butterfly Soup was able to wring it out of me. That aside, it is a heartwarming and empathetic story about girls trying to be true to themselves. (It is also relentlessly silly when it's not tugging at your heart strings, so be aware there is plenty of cringe yet relatable humor.)

1*Qt2ivWcTgdK9txFxEfDWAA.png

P9YLQGV.png
51. Butterfly Soup 2

Released a decade after the first one, Butterfly Soup 2 picks up right where the first one left off. While the first one was, I think, meant to feel more validating for queer people, this one I think leaned heavier on the first-generation Asian American experience. Queer romantic themes were still present but there was more reflection on family, trying to relate to your family, trying to understand each other but constantly hitting a wall, and trying to love each other despite that. Some of it hit a nerve with my own experiences with my parents, but some were foreign to me. Even so, the game is written so well, you feel like you're right in the shoes of these characters. (Diya reminds me so much of me when I was in school, severely shy and nonverbal, only opening up with close friends and family.)

There were also some great lessons in this one. Butterfly Soup 2 felt like it wanted the reader to come away with a message about confronting your own biases and examining yourself, which I appreciated. Also, Noelle and Akarsha got together in this one!! My little shipping heart.

Great game. If you're interested in queer coming of age stories, or the Asian American experience, or you were in middle or high school from like 2009 to 2015, try out this series.

butterfly_soup_2-(4).jpg

Last edited:

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Main Post

[17/52 completed]

God of War Ragnarök: Valhalla
- Platform: PS5 | Rating: 9/10 | Date finished: December 14th

56935f822f365f2cae0282333bf9f2e60dcb4211.jpg

I'm including this because while it's just a free DLC, it's basically a self-contained 6-8 hour story and a damn good one at that. I played through and platinumed GoW:R when it came out last year and loved my time with it. Valhalla adds a roguelite mode that has a surprising amount of story content and dialogue. Do not skip this DLC if you're a fan of God of War but don't like roguelites. This is a very worthwhile mode that ties up the events of Ragnarok with a satisfying epilogue. Santa Monica could've easily charged for this but the fact that we got such a meaty piece of content for free is amazing.

The gameplay loop of Valhalla is addicting and adds a huge amount of replayability for a game that already has top tier combat. Lots of challenge here for anyone who wants to keep playing and push themselves further. Also really loved that they brought back so many Greek enemies. This was an excellent DLC and I really enjoyed coming back to the game.

Lies of P - Platform: PS5 | Rating: 8.5/10 | Date finished: December 14th

726aecde55db02155c75a121cc914c7d48d66fabcea33fe7.jpg

Lies of P is a game that I initially wrote off almost entirely when it was revealed. The concept of a Pinocchino themed Soulslike that is heavily inspired by Bloodborne seemed ridiculous and I didn't see any way this would end up being anything other than a forgettable game with a unique concept. I even tried the demo and didn't really care for it at the time either. The level design in the first area seemed uninspired and the parrying/dodging felt off. Boy, was I wrong. Once I finally dove into the game, I saw very quickly that it has a ton to offer and that it was an extremely well made Soulslike. The progression systems throughout the game are designed in a way they you constantly feel like you're unlocking something and getting stronger. The game has a brisk pace of moving through a wide variety of environments and they never overstay their welcome. You're in and out of an area in just enough time and I loved that. Same goes for enemy variety, of which there's an insanely high amount of. Combat feels fantastic and it's very parry focused so you basically have to learn the parry timing if you want to make sure you don't struggle much.

Lastly, I think this game handles its characters better than any other Soulslike (and some Souls games too). I was actually intrigued by everyone in the hotel and their backstories. The story isn't anything to write home about, but it was much better than I would've ever expected from a Pinocchio game. Overall, this game was such a wonderful surprise and I had a blast playing through it. Really looking forward to the DLC and the sequel. The post-credits tease for the sequel was so out of left field (in a very good way) that I still cannot believe that they're seemingly going that route. I can't wait to see what the devs do with the sequel. Shoutout to the devs for making arguably the best Soulslike yet, especially considering this was their first big game and everything they've done before wasn't particularly good. Huge glow up for them.

Last edited:

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Does lethal company have a completion point? me and my pals haven't even made it past the third quota successfully yet.
What a hilarious game though.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
Does lethal company have a completion point? me and my pals haven't even made it past the third quota successfully yet.
What a hilarious game though.
No, I think it just keeps escalating until you can't go any further. Even when you make quota and cash in your stuff, you just given a new, higher quota and are sent off again.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
Main post

58 - Yakuza Kiwami - Xcloud - 30hrs / 15th December - 8/10
First time playing through the original Yakuza. It's fun to see how much was already present from the get go. Great time spent with Kiryu as always.

Currently playing:
- Teardown
- Baldurs Gate 3
- Remnant 2
- Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
69: Star Ocean: The Second Story R. End: 12/4/2023.

This game has a reputation as the best Star Ocean. And I agree with that reputation. The second remake of the second SO game may not seem like it brings much new to the table, but if you missed the game before, you have another chance to play this classic game. This isn't just my favorite Star Ocean games. It's one of my favorite RPGs.

70: Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster. End: 12/11/2023.

Coming back to the Pixel Remasters. FFV is one of the earlier games that I am least familiar with. The job system makes this one of the deepest in terms of gameplay. But it is not without flaws. And all jobs are definitely not created equal.

71: Final Fantasy VI Pixel Remaster. End: 12/15/2023.

I love Final Fantasy VI and I had an excuse to come back to it. It had a few QOL improvements to make some things easier (such as Sabin's blitz attacks) while removing some rather notorious bugs (goodbye to the "vanish" and "doom" combo). I still burned through this game just to experience it again. (I know this game too well.)

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
195. BZZZT (Steam Deck) - A 2D platformer indie title that's cut from the same cloth as stuff like Celeste or Super Meat Boy. You play as a little robot who traverses a number of increasingly difficult levels. As you play, you acquire more power ups - double jump, dash/air dashing etc.
The game is fairly short (that caught me out, its only 50 stages) and in my opinion, I found it fairly easy. Of course I find stuff like Ghouls N Ghosts fairly easy so what do I know! The game really gets going when you get the double jump and dash moves fairly early into the game - this lets the level design have fun with more obstacles that require longer stretches where your dashing and jumping through electrified floors/walls of death, lasers and what not. Movement feels incredibly good - with slick and responsive controls.

There's also the option to grab all bolts (collectibles) in stages - I ended up instinctively doing it just because most are in your path and generally point out the best routes through levels, so it felt somewhat worthwhile using them as a guide.

The game does have a few "bosses" but really these barely felt like bosses in the traditional sense. Which is actually a good thing, considering this is something Meat Boy fell down on (they lasted too long, and were not all that fun...)
The final boss does last longer, but he's still a fairly short fight, and very clear on how to tackle him.

All in all, my only complaint is its short run time. Its an excellent platformer, I just wish there was more!

Eventually gonna get to:
Super Mario RPG
Runner
Rez Infinite (trophies)
Lost more VR stuff
MGS Rising
Splatterhouse (PS3)
Bayonetta 3

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

[/QUOTE]

Celestial Descend

Corrupted by Vengeance
Aug 15, 2022
52 games completed!

52. Super Mario Bros. Wonder | ACT | PC | ★★★★☆ | 12-16
Let me preface by saying I am by no means a veteran platformer player. In my unprofessional opinion, Wonder's new direction towards spectacles and exploration instead of traditional platforming challenge and depth makes the game more appealing to the wider audience. Wonder seeds don't offer much of a skill check, but they are just so unpredictable that it's always exciting to encounter a new one. The fresh new art direction greatly enhances the overall experience. Every level is a feast to the eye, full of amazing design, and there is a strong sense of place among each big area, adding coherence to the unpredictability. On the flip side, the nastiest tradition of platforming games: masquerading poor control as challenge still persists. Some of the badge challenges and secret levels are prime examples of this.

Some thoughts on completing the challenge:
I feel like I cheated becuase I played so many 2 hour indies and not enough big games. The lack of AAA titles is also very obvious. I do not regret any games that I played because while they varies in quality (and none of them actually got 5/5 from me, though Pentiment came pretty close), they all offer something fresh and unique. With that said, I don't think I'll participate next year because my short game playlist is almost depleted and I want to tackle some big boys that I've been missing.

Best game I played this year: Pentiment
Best games I played that came out in 2023: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (relunctantly, only because I haven't most of the 2023 games I want to play)
Special shoutout: Liyla and the Shadow of War

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
196. Shinobi Non Grata (PS4) - Gameplay wise this feels pretty close to the old 2D Ninja Gaiden's, but in game design, it feels closer to something like Alien Solider (or many of Treasures games) as the stages between bosses feel more like points where you catch your breath - very brief bits where you battle a few enemies (that arent all that dangerous) and then its onto fighting another boss.
And thankfully the boss fights are excellent - it goes from evil ninja's, to demons, to a giant enemy crab (lol). Each fight is very unique, and has a ton of attacks to learn, but all of them feel very possible to beat, even if my first couple of tries were over in seconds.

Aside your basic sword attack, jump and evade moves, you also have a range of sub weapons to select from. Unlike the likes of Ninja Gaiden (NES) or the various Castlevania games where you only get one at a time, you can swap between them on the fly - you have basic throwing stars, some sort of AOE chain move, a slow, but incredibly damaging gun attack... there's a couple of others, but honestly your gonna be swapping between the AOE and gun moves 90% of the time depending on the boss. My tactics mainly had me using the gun as its super damaging, but it required planning on when you use it, due to its recovery time.

Its a fairly short, yet immensely fun. I suppose the one issue people might have with it is the lack of checkpoints before bosses (even though the stages are super short).

Eventually gonna get to:
Super Mario RPG
Runner
Rez Infinite (trophies)
Lost more VR stuff
MGS Rising
Splatterhouse (PS3)
Bayonetta 3

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
Holy moly I have neglected updating in this thread. Still been playing and keeping notes ofc so here's the last 10 as I probably won't beat anything else this year.

#45 A Plague Tale: Requiem - Xbox - 15 hours - 7.0
A little dissapointing? Definitley not bad but there's a lot of trial and error which could get frustrating, and the pacing is worse than the first game

#46 Lies of P - Xbox - 23 hours - 8.5
This game blew my socks off compared to how I thought it was going to turn out. Definitely the best Souls clone I've played. They really nailed the combat and level design. Was challenging but never felt BS

#47 El Paso, Elsewhere - PC - 7 hours - 6.5
I can easily image a version of this game which is great rather than just ok. I really like the main VO and the soundtrack but the gameplay is a little dissapointing. Having 90% of the enemies be melee just doesn't work when you're going for Max Payne gameplay. There is very little need to use any of the movement or diving so a lot of the time I just stood still and killed from a distance with no threat

#48 Super Mario Bros. Wonder - Switch - 14 hours - 9.0
Loved it, such an improvement over the NSMB games. So much creativity in the levels, the graphics and animations are amazing and I had a smile on my face the whole time (apart from the secret last level)

#49 Wolfenstein II - The New Colossus - Xbox - 8 hours - 7.0
Tone is all over the place, and gameplay isn't really improved from the first game which is a little bit of a shame,
And yet, the story is a enjoyable watch and shooting nazis is fun

#50 Alice: Madness Returns - Xbox - 13 hours - 7.0
This one has better gameplay that the original but felt a little less original and interesting. It goes on longer than it should but I had a decent time

#51 Sacred 3 - PC - 8 hours - 6.0
Mindless hack n slash, dissapointing direction they went in after Sacred 2 but it's not the worst thing ever. Just fairly repetitive. Turned the audio off because the voices were so grating and listened to podcasts

#52 Yakuza 5 Remastered - Xbox - 43 hours - 8.0
Damn this is a chunky game. I don't think anyone on the dev team ever heard the word No, there's like a million different styles of gameplay and mini games.
Good thing all the sidequests were actually fun as hell, the taxi driving, hunting, dancing, I liked all of it! The main story gets kinda confusing at the end but overall this was one of my most liked Yakuza games so far

#53 The Legend of Korra - PS4 - 3 hours - 5.5
The combat, while basic by Platinum standards, is still quite fun especially once you get all your avatar powers, but the game is so short that once you do there's like an hour left to enjoy it. Doesn't offer much else outside the combat, the levels are pretty linear and ugly and even for a fan of the show, the story is pretty worthless. The moments where it does feel like Bayonetta-lite are there, but it's not really enough

#54 Lost Planet 2 - Xbox - 7 hours - 7.0
Improvement over the original, more variety in the locations and missions. Downside is the game and boss fights are clearly designed for co-op, the AI bots don't really cut it

#55 Jusant - Xbox - 4 hours - 7.5
Climbing mechanics are quite clever and enjoyable, the game never really challenges you as much as it could have with them though. Didn't really pay attention to the notes left scattered around so while I enjoyed it, I did kinda forget a lot about it as soon as I was done

My Main Post
and for fun, a top 10 of the year (no replays allowed!)
Hi-Fi RUSH
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Super Mario Bros. Wonder
Cyberpunk 2077
Pizza Tower
Lies of P
Cassette Beasts
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD
Diablo IV
Yakuza 5 Remastered

Memory Pak

Aug 29, 2018
2wi69HV.png

37. F-Zero 99 (2023, Switch) ★★★★★
The mad lads finally made the F-Zero online death race people have been fantasising about for years! I will admit to being slightly disappointed at seeing this go for the SNES aesthetic upon reveal, but I couldn't have been more wrong. This is a very natural evolution for the franchise, with the aggressive risk-reward managing of mid-pack battles found in F-Zero GX now done with 98 other human opponents. The progression systems are super addictive, always giving you things to strive for, even if you're never winning races.

pwuIkM4.png

38. F-Zero (1990/1991, Switch) ★★★★☆
Got curious to try the original after F-Zero 99, and found it holds up really well. It is lacking the attacking moves of later entries, and also doesn't combine health and boost into a single bar like its sequels, so there's more emphasis on risk mitigation rather than taking risks. But a lot of the series' trademarks are already here: a remarkable sense of speed, excellent soundtrack, and the enduring futuristic vision. It's missing some obvious features like a trophy ceremony after every Grand Prix, and multiplayer. But while Nintendo would introduce those in Super Mario Kart, that game feels like it runs choppier, with less precise controls, and with tighter, more angular tracks than F-Zero's wider, more legible circuits.

7GY0Ps9.png

39. Super Mario Kart (1992, Switch - SNES NSO) ★★★☆☆
The first Mario Kart has a dinky feel to it, with very obvious limitations imposed by its hardware. Many of the hallmarks were already present: most of the cast would return in every instalment, items like banana peels and shells are introduced here, and even some track themes would become mainstays (ghost houses, Bowser's castle, Rainbow Road). However, the lack of verticality requires some suspension of disbelief on the player's part to work. Why can't you go over certain lines? Well they represent walls, obviously, and no your short hop doesn't clear them.
I do like how coins and item boxes (both also flat here) disappear in future laps, requiring you to take slightly different racing lines. Speaking of racing lines, the CPU opponents drive near flawlessly here, and sometimes it feels like your rivals are flat-out cheating since they seemingly always have an invincibility star in their back pocket. Decent game overall, even it has been made thoroughly obsolete.

WRPj7E9.png

40. Mario Kart 64 (1996/1997, Switch - N64 NSO) ★★★★★ Replay
Still one of the best entries in the series. Probably the most iconic character roster, and the item balance is better here too by cutting the fairly inconsequential coins and feathers, while introducing the rare blue shell. Music is much better too, and it features several enduring course designs (D.K. Parkway), as well as the best-in-series Battle stage (Block Fort). Not every course is a winner in single player, but even the annoying ones become hilarious in multiplayer. My only complaints are how the CPUs blatantly cheat on 150cc, and I guess the drifting isn't as refined yet as Double Dash!! would eventually make it.

BD6MVUn.png

41. Mario Kart: Super Circuit a.k.a. Mario Kart Advance (2001, Switch - GBA NSO) ★★★☆☆
Somewhat perfunctory third instalment in the series. It's not outright bad, mashing the flat surface tracks of Super Mario Kart with Mario Kart 64's character models, items, and voices. However, it adds very little to the series, other than bringing it to handhelds. Perhaps that was enough at the time, but through a modern lens the lack of verticality is very noticeable once again. The track selection is lacking too, with many themes getting repeated (did we really need 4 Bowser Castle variants?), although it does include all the SNES tracks if you take the time to unlock them. There's a few winners here, like Sunset Wilds with its changing sky, and Rainbow Road with its ample opportunities for risky jumps. But overall this feels like a step back for the series until Double Dash!! would introduce new innovations.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
197. Corn Kidz 64 (Steam Deck) - As the "64" in the title suggests, this game is trying to pay homage to the Nintendo 64. In this case, it succeeds, very well. Its a 3D platformer with a collectathon focus for most of its short playtime. That is to say - the game has 3 "areas". One is a training area where you get the hang of movement, one is a full fleshed out game level (like any painting in Mario 64), and one further level which is a bit more linear in design but with a heavy platforming focus which I loved.
The tutorial level is not quite a full fledged level on its own - it has no real design of its own - its basically a series of sticky notes (tutorial notes) with a number of platforming challenges which gets you acquainted with how platforming and the controls works in this game. Contrrols wise its mainly like Mario 64 or Banjo Kazooie, but there's also a focus on climbing... sorta. See, the game lets you wall jump, which you can do to basically "double" jump or wall jump to try and reach a higher point on a platform. Your mid air attack (a headbutt attack which propels you forwards) also gives you a little bit of extra vertical height, so the idea is you mix your air attack and wall/double jump together to reach higher platforms. You also can do similar where you head butt an enemy, then jump, then head butt the next enemy etc. Think of it sorta like homing attacks in Sonic, but more complicated as its not just a homing attack and a single button doing all this, it requires more skill to pull off.

It takes a little while to fully get the feel down, but the tutorial area does a decent job of familiarising yourself with the controls and then off you go into the big level of the game - its a town filled with pig like people, and a big evil owl who rules over them. This level feels the most like a Rare stage, with you exploring the level high and low to get XP (needed to progress further), as well as finding a power up which lets you burrow underground. My only real complaint with this bit is that the game is rather... vague on where you need to go and what needs to be done. The actual requirement is to get the power up, get 5 disco ball collectibles, then reverse the level, then trigger the music box again forcing the owl to retreat. Honestly - unless Id fumble around for hours Id never figure this out for myself... as far as I could tell, this was not really relayed to the player well.
Otherwise, the level is ace. Its a decent size and there's plenty of platforming challenges to do, basically something round every corner to do, and as you open the level up more and more, you discover more. And as you get more comfortable with the controls is further opens up. While I do think it could have given the player a little more direction, its a great area and feels great to actually explore/play.

The last area is the tower. Unlike the last area which was really open, this one goes for a way more linear, platforming focused challenge. This one really tests your reflexes and pure skill, and I honestly adored it the most. There's several "areas" to the tower, so they switch up the exact challenge frequently, with the only constant being "gotta go higher". Some of the platforming in the higher tiers of the level really leave very little margin of error, with you needing to do fairly pixel perfect jumps off of small blocks... Thankfully the controls are really solid so this is easier than it sounds!

The game ends suggesting that this is just the first "area" and more will (hopefully) be added. I hope this gets fleshed out over time, its honestly one of the better 3D platformers Ive played lately.

198. Enchanted Portals (PS5) - You know that "No, we have X at home" meme? Well this is the Cuphead version of that meme... This game had a checkered past as it had a failed Kickstarter that showed the game off, and its inspiration was very clear. Well the game was finally released and Youtube vids only got me more curious about it, I wanted to try it for myself. And... eh, its ok. Definitely not the worst gave Ive even played this month (take that Gargoyles!) but Id definitely tell anyone who wanted to play it, just get Cuphead instead (its not like this is actually even easier)

So the game is about a magic book that escaped, and you chase it through time periods/cliches and go up against a range of bosses as you go. The sad thing is, if this was like Cuphead which was mainly bosses, Id rate the game higher, but its not, its mainly side scrolling sections. Every one of these are the same - loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong walks from left to right, fight some enemies to slow you down, jump sometimes, and then keep going. Some levels have obstacles - like the platforms on the UFO or the crocs in the swamps, but otherwise its just lots of walking. The enemies, little variety in them, kinda just... exist. They get in the way but arent that threatening. You do have three shot types - red (rapid), blue (useless) and green (spread). Sometimes enemies have shields that require certain weapons to be used, otherwise just rock the green spread shot and barely feel the need to aim lol. I actually dont know if shots do different damage like they do in Cuphead, I did a few bosses a few times but never was able to tell if one was better than the other...
Now the bosses, these are sadly mainly middling. 90% of them stand in place, so the basic tactic is to lock in place yourself and hold fire down, moving only when you need to. The witch boss only gets interesting at the end when you gotta actually move, the Cow boss in the UFO is a piece of trash that outstays its welcome and you barely need to move at all until the final phase (which is ripped off obviously from Cupheads Iron Giant fight), the Cerberus fight at the end of the game actually has you moving slightly at least, as does the Disney princess fight (which is honestly the best fight in the game).
The last boss is basically a boss rush firstly against two clearly unfinished ideas, then against the book and that... actually kinda forces you to move about in the first phase - it springs a number of obstacles so both you and the boss are never left in place for long - arguably its one of the stronger phases in the game. Then... well things get worse. Art styles shift and your now fighting a tree, its like if Kirby's tree was not so good... dodge stuff falling from the branches, obviously it aint moving at this point... the last phase has another art style shift and I think it was trying to be tough by having three additional obstacles (colour coded) but... I honestly find it easy to avoid them all and just attack the final boss directly... Not quite sure what they were going for there...

Overall... it had promise but perhaps ideas were more grand than time or the budget permitted.... I actually do wish this one got more time to smooth stuff out as honestly I did enjoy it (despite being harsh on it at times...)

Eventually gonna get to:
Super Mario RPG
Runner
Rez Infinite (trophies)
Lost more VR stuff
MGS Rising
Splatterhouse (PS3)
Bayonetta 3

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I've hit my personal goal of 60!

I just got an Amiga mini and I'm enjoying going through my childhood games so I expect to finish even more before the year is out as well as I intend to play them all with trainers and cheats as those games were short but hard as nails to make up for it.

59 - Cabal - Amiga Mini - 1 hour / 20th December - 8/10
Great little shooter. The amount of variety in the controls considering it uses just one button is really fun. I like how you press up and down to throw a grenade for example. Add a second player and it becomes a riot. I did need to sue use cheats for infinite lives as it's hard as nails but it doesn't dilute from the fun.

60 - It Came from the desert - Amiga Mini - 1 hour / 20th December - 8/10
Classic adventure game with a nice variety of mechanics and a fun "real-time" element. The ant shooting can get fiddly and frustrating but it doesn't detract from the overall enjoyment.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Hit that 200 mark! Still reckon I have a few more games I can complete (I mean, Im fairly certain Im at the end of Alan Wake 2). I reckon next year I wont be able to hit the same target since Yakuza, FF and Persona are gonna take a looooooooooong time to clear, not to mention Dragons Dogma and Ronin. But I look forward trying lol.

198. Angry Video Game Nerd 1 (PS4) - Ok, Im not a fan of AVGN (not a fan of anyone who's persona is "angry") but I do like retro styled platformers and the reviews on this one skewed pretty positive so I gave it a shot. As expected most of the references to the show goes over my head but the game still has a ton of references to retro games that I totally get, so I still enjoyed that (respect to them that they do a full on Custer's Revenge parody - Id say its fucked up, but lets face it that original game is fucked up, this was pretty mild all things considered)

The game itself is a 2D platformer/run and gun so right in my wheelhouse. Its designed to be fairly challenging but frequent checkpointing and fairly kind health refills balance things out nicely. Your default NES Zapper deals solid damage so its not a bullet spongey mess to play. Many a level has instant kill mechanics (skull bricks, as well as Mega Man 2 style beams of death) but again, the checkpointing very much evens all this out so at no point did I ever feel like the game frustrates (actually it was a pretty breezy game to play!)
Bosses are pretty well designed and while they certainly put up a fight, again none ever really annoy, once I get the patterns down Id usually have then beat in 1 or 2 tries.

The difficulty does skip up a bit in the final level where it does the "bit of everything" approach of just mashing all previous stage hazards into one long stage, and its definitely way tougher than what came before it, culminating in... a fairly easy boss actually!

There's also random extras to find in stages - four NES carts that spell out "NERD" and some other hidden stuff. I only ended up getting the carts, I might go back and do the rest later but Im not usually one for hidden collectibles, feels like padding in the worst sort of way. The carts though arent really hidden, they are easy to see, but usually require some extra thought and care to reach, so I really enjoyed tracking each down.

Overall, its a fun and short little platformer. It does a good job of referencing many past retro games and I assume AVGN jokes, its challenging but never unfair, and it doesnt outstay its welcome. I actually started the sequel directly after this one, and its definitely the better game - longer, tougher, more to it... more on that below!

199. Angry Video Game Nerd 2 (PS4) - The sequel to the last game is mainly more of the same (which seems fitting considering this IS a game playfully mocking certain retro games after all!), but its that "all the same in the best kind of way" feel as the game still plays fantastically.

As with the previous game, its a 2D platformer/run and gun that has you running through a number of game levels that heavily reference certain retro games - there's some Ghosts n Goblins here for example, but the most recognisable set of levels are undoubtedly the sewers which is a parody of Konami's original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game (you know, the one with the Dam). The game pokes fun at certain level design quirks in TMNT, most notably the electric seaweed (which you can actually turn off at one point!)
Unlike the original AVGN game, this one breaks each "world" up into four stages - the last always being a boss stage. The stages are probably a little shorter than the original games but honestly since the difficulty has been increased across the board, I probably spent just as long on each as I would have on any one AVGN1 level. So honestly that makes this one feel far more expansive because of that.

New for this game is power ups - think Mega Man X - as you can find bits in each levels first act which gives you some sort of advantage - from better weapons, wall jumping, a punch that destroys weak walls, and "better vision" which reveals certain platforms which really help when it comes to the many spiked or bottomless pits you encounter.

Bosses are honestly the only thing here which havent really seen an increase in difficulty. They are still the easiest part of the game, it rarely took me more than 2 tries to beat any of them. If you get the best weapon upgrade, your charged shot basically decimates them with very little difficulty.

After clearing all initial stage bosses you open the final set of level(s) - which basically ramps the difficulty up further and sorta does a Virtual Boy looking parody stage (red and black graphics). Its definitely the pinnacle of difficulty in the game, with certain screens taking me a large number of tries to clear. It definitely works as that "final challenge" the game gives you, considering the final boss is fairly easy again!

And after clearing the second game, I unlocked a final bonus short campaign. Its only 4 stages long, with the stages designed to be a big more challenging than 2 I guess. Though honestly, a couple of bits aside, I dont think I really found these too tough... As with 2, I retained my upgrades which no doubt helped me clear the levels a bit easier.

The final boss here... eh. A little harder... but still figure out where to stand and its really not tough.

Overall, the second game is definitely an improvement on the first game - having more stages and a higher difficulty level is really all I needed, the game lasts longer, is more satisfying to play, and just more fun all round.

Definitely recommend both to anyone wanting a nice retro themed platformer/shooter. They dont outstay their welcome and despite paying homage to many a NES game, the games are definitely far more fair thanks to kind checkpointing!

200!! Pursuit Force Extreme Justice (PS5) - Absolutely bonkers arcadey racer/action sequel that somehow is even more absurd than the original. And I love it!
The game mainly retains the gameplay from the first game - a mix of point to point races, car combat, on rails shooting, and some on foot sections alongside a blistering fast pace. The weakest part is the on foot sections - limited due to the PSP's lack of a second analogue stick, so you cant move and aim at the same time and the whole thing still feels super janky. Perfectly playable, but definitely the least good bit. The racing/car action sections are amazing fun - long point to point races and you can leap from car to car, take out enemies, shoot down helicopters etc. Its got a really silly story and some insanely silly set pieces, but I love it. If something like TLOU is trying to be this serious, thoughtful plot, this is trying to be the complete opposite - a Saturday morning cartoon and OTT action movie all rolled into one.

Eventually gonna get to:
Super Mario RPG
Runner
Rez Infinite (trophies)
Lost more VR stuff
MGS Rising
Splatterhouse (PS3)
Bayonetta 3

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

[/QUOTE]

Chas Hodges

Nov 7, 2017
Looking very likely my streak of 5 years breaks in 2023. 40 down with just a week and a half to go. I could cheese it out with some really short games, but is that REALLY how I want to succeed?

(maybe?)

Part #1 1-20
Part #2 21-40

41. Moorhuhn Kart (PS1) - 22/12/23 - ~2 hours (All Achievements [RA])

You were all feeling a bit miffed that I hadn't played many detritus kart racers this year weren't you? THOUGHT AS MUCH.

Last year I played Crazy Chicken Racer 2 on the Switch. It was up there with the worst kart racers I've ever played. Crazy Chicken is the English version of the German 'Moorhuhn' franchise. This PS1 kart racer is technically the OG Crazy Chicken Racer and it's also bad.

To beat this one I had to finish the Grand Prix mode with all 5 characters, and then beat a tight par time for each track's time trial mode. The Grand Prix was tedious, but I genuinely quite enjoyed the time trial stuff. Making the most of shortcuts and learning the corners of each of the wonky tracks was genuinely enjoyable. If there were more tracks and more times to aim for it wouldn't be half bad!

42. Tetraminos (PC) - 22/12/23 - ~3 hours (All Achievements [Steam])

Last time I played through this game I described it as 'Very much an example of 'Can we have Tetris?' / 'We have Tetris at home.' made flesh.' and I can't really deviate too much from that.

A development team who felt bold enough to change up the fundamental rules of Tetris - i.e. block shapes, gravity implementation, rotation rules, scoring - but who come up short with every single alteration they make. I'd say 'points for trying' but I'd be lying.

43. Root Bear (Playdate) - 24/12/23 - ~100 hours? (Top of the Leaderboard)

100 hours might seem a horrendous exaggeration for how long I've played a game where each round lasts just 60 seconds, but I've played a LOT of Root Bear in my quest to 'beat' the game by topping the in-game leaderboard, and a lot MORE Root Bear in my quest to 'beat' social media by uploading what feels like thousands of Root Bear themed clips to the O3C Games TikTok channel.

Today, after an incalculable number of attempts, I managed to hit a score of $103 dollars overtaking the in-game leaderboard champion, and so, for Christmas at least, my Root Bear odyssey is at a temporary pause.

44. Assemble With Care (PC) - 27/12/23 - ~3 hours (All Achievements [Steam])

A lovely game.

Richard Dawson | Wooden Bag

45. Florence (PC) - 28/12/23 - ~60mins (All Achievements [Steam])

First time I've played Florence since beating it in one go whilst sat in the bath on my old iPhone. Back then, for whatever reason, it didn't hit me with quite the weight I was expecting. This time, it did so even less, and I found myself focussing entirely on the mechanics of the thing rather than the story.

I really like how mechanical motifs are repeated and subverted throughout the story: the conversation 'puzzles' or the packing and unpacking of shared spaces. There's little moments throughout the game that really work, but the execution of the wider package felt a little too twee though. This isn't an attempt to drag the aesthetic, as the art and music are lovely throughout, but I wanted a bit more from the narrative design. Maybe a few more chapters that show subtle cracks in the relationship rather than the more binary 'good, good, good, not good' we end up with here.

Little side note too - this is a great example of when achievements hinder rather than help a game. The goals in Florence force you to play certain scenes in certain ways, and this means that you can be put in positions where you're fundamentally betraying the 'Florence' you've built up in your head.

46. 100 Pumpkins (PC) - 28/12/23 - ~60mins (100%)

Basically a modern Jet Set Willy clone. 100 screens, 100 collectibles. A dumb name for each room. It's fun!

I beat the whole thing, but will probably stop short of chasing the last few achievements which track number of deaths across a run. The final trophy is for 'beating the game without any deaths'. Considering my first playthrough I died nearly 100 times, that probably isn't happening.

47. Producer 2021 (PC) - 28/12/23 - ~3 hours (Credits)

Yeah, dude.

What a trip - what a vibe!

A visual novel / adventure game mechanically reminiscent of something like Snatcher I guess but with a message and feel all its own. From the store page: "Woken by a phone you never bought, you quickly find yourself hired by a nebulous company. You're the producer now."

It's bleak, it's weird, and most interestingly, it's the type of art that could only be produced by millennials. Borderline dadaist at times, but strangely parseable by nature of coming from a place of poignant 30-something frustration. Who's really qualified to do anything? And why do we care so deeply about doing at all?

Top stuff. Oh, and it's scored by ThorHighHeels so the music absolutely fucking rips as well.

48. Cat Quest (PC) - 29/12/23 - ~8 hours (100%)

I played this about 5 years ago on the PS4 and had a thoroughly good time. It's a nice RPG-lite that seems to riff on games like Deathspank with its simple fetch quests and console friendly combat.

This time through on the Steam Deck I found there was way more content (promo missions for Cat Quest 2, some mobile game the team went on to work with, a Christmas themed quest line etc), and an entire 'Mew' Game Plus mode that allows you to use modifiers to toughen up the experience. On the PS4, I got every trophy, but here, despite finishing the same amount of game, I'm a fair few achievements short. If I wanted to go for a true 'perfect' clear it would mean playing through the campaign another 4 times minimum with insane modifiers like 'you can't die more than 9 times' or 'you can't level up so have to beat the whole game with your dodging chops at Level 1'.

No thanks.

49. Who Wants To Be A Millionaire (Dreamcast) - 29/12/23 - ~60mins (All Achievements [RA])

Googling the answers? Me? Wouldn't have thought so, guv?

OK, it's a bit of a grubby clear, but we are where we are.

A few words about this game though. The general quiz show format set by WWTBAM back in the day is still top tier. Chris Tarrant, as the resident host of the UK show at the time, absolutely gives this game his all with a great vocal performance that doesn't sound phoned in at all. There are more questions here than appeared in the contemporary release for Switch, Xbox and PlayStation which is mad in itself, but EVERY question also has a bespoke voice recording for when you use the phone-a-friend lifeline. We're talking a special 30 second clip relevant and specific to the question, not just a generic 'Oh, I think it's B'. One of the achievements was for phoning a friend on the million pound question, and our fake pal reeled off a huge number of specific facts about 'Isle of White disease', a tracheal affliction that lead to the death of millions of bees in the early 1900s. I LOVE this sort of totally unnecessary addition and care in a fucking family quiz game for the Dreamcast.

Also, can we all agree that the music from the original Millionaire run is absolutely belting?!

50. Felix the Cat (Gameboy) - 29/12/23 - ~60mins (All Achievements [RA])

The Gameboy has such a massive library it can be impossible to know what you're going to get when you boot an unknown game. From screenshots it was clear Felix was going to be a platformer, but was it going to be a brutal NES-difficulty platformer or something brisk like Kirby's Dream Land?

Thankfully, it was the latter, and it was easy enough to blitz through the game in about half an hour. I lost a few too many lives though and so didn't get the final score achievement until I started a fresh playthrough and was a bit more careful with my play. A thoroughly nice time though.

51. Sonic Chaos (Master System) - 30/12/23 - ~4 hours (Credits, [RA 53/81])

I owned this one as a kid and loved it. It felt much closer to the zippy Mega Drive games than the 8-bit versions of Sonic 1 and 2, AND you could play as Tails. Sonic obsessed, but stuck with my hand-me-down Master System for at least a year or so longer, when we got Sonic Chaos, I was in heaven.

This is the first time I've really sat and played it again in earnest for years. It feels baaad. Slowdown all over the place, sprites flickering horribly whenever you're sat on the same scan line as enemies or rings. 2023 tech to the rescue though! Using Retroarch I overclocked the Master System's paltry processor and removed the hardware sprite limit to reduce flicker - suddenly the game ran like butter, and made the 3+ playthroughs (guided by a recent Retroachievements set) a joy.

Beat the game as Sonic (no emeralds due to lack of skill), Tails (no emeralds due to him not being able to collect them), and Sonic again (with 4 out of 5 emeralds because I ran out of stages to grind for rings on as you need to collect 100 rings during open play in a stage to get a shot at the goods). Retroachievements also asks you to beat the game without losing a life, rewards you for speedrunning every stage in the game, and gives a plethora of esoteric goals to work towards. I chipped through a fair amount of these, but 100% was a bit beyond me: full set mastery would easily push the game to be a 15-20 hour effort, and this late in the year, I've got no time.

52. Rusty Lake Paradise (PC) - 31/12/23 - ~8 hours (All Achievements [Steam])

THE BUZZER BEATER!

The longest and most involved Cube Escape / Rusty Lake game so far.

It's been interesting to play through this series with its interconnected lore and self-referential puzzles and easter eggs and wonder how far exactly the team at Rusty Lake planned any of the timeline or if they were just riffing it with each release? The early stuff all felt pretty ramshackle - 'oh, by the way, that was so and so's mother, and that box was actually really important to such and such's dog because reasons' - but by the time the series went 'premium' with the stand alone Rusty Lake stuff like Roots, Hotel and Paradise, there seems far more thought behind the individual familial ties and timelines of the titular lake, hotel and bloodline.

Paradise is the earliest story, canonically, following one family of outcasts living through 10 plagues in the late 1700s. Each plague is its own chapter, and the game goes all out with far more involved puzzles, far more involved lore, and way more achievements to work for and hidden 'bits' to explore.

Playing alongside my partner Georgia, the core game took 6 hours, with the achievement mop up taking another two.

52 games. What a rush.

53. Geology Business (PC) - 31/12/23 - ~5 hours (All Achievements [Steam])

Fuck it, what's one more, eh?

An idle game that you can't actually leave idle, as it relies, even in the later game, on what it terms 'human' clicks. With Steam Input though, it's pretty easy to set up a pad on a turbo switch though!

Working in a mine, you harvest a variety of rocks and later 'memes' which are presented, satisfyingly, on a constant conveyor belt at the top of your screen. Towards the game's end, certain rocks present codes to crack which require you to type certain words into the game. It's nothing special, but it's a decent amount of fun as idlers go.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wozzer

Wozzer

QA Architect at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Waking up from a lengthy hibernation, and have updated the hall of fame with a slew of folks that have hit the 52. Reminder that if you want me to add you to the hall of fame and do the ol' pretty avatar medal thingy, hit me up in DM so I don't miss ya!

Look at all them pretty faces. Have a great rest of year all, and new thread will be up prompt Jan 1st!