HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this would be the case but people have such short memories that I'm worried about.

And you don't think Trump campaigning as loudly and belligerently as possible to his overzealous supporters is not going to remind everyone else what a monster he is in the bluntest fashion possible?

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
For every "high disapproval ratings on immigration" result there's always an extremely bleak follow up where you find out the issue isn't that he's continuing Donald Trump's immigration policies, it's that he isn't being even worse

MglT25t.png

ort55kF.png

This isn't particularly surprising given that during the first several months of the Biden Administration, instead of covering the fact that the concentration camps are still open (they are still open btw!), the media ran nonstop stories about how our borders are being overrun.

But at least slightly more folks seem to understand that deporting asylum seekers is bad, actually.
b1sJjof.png

z1tFLbA.png

This is from the poll the article cites on Biden doing poorly on immigration, for the record.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Biden won on an anti-Trump vote.

That is what the 2020 election was about.

Lets not kid ourselves about broad support for the person himself or his policies.

The country is still really divided and kind of crazy.

Granted a lot of Presidents experience this kind of dip at this stage in their presidency, but "I'm not Trump" is only going to carry you so far. The country is still in complete shambles in so many ways, nobody is going to give Biden this extended benefit of the doubt. A lot of people have been at their wit's end with this stuff for years now, they don't have the time or patience to wait and see if promises and rhetoric are delivered on, some may say its unreasonable, but people's faith is going to erode quickly nowadays.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Biden is as good as done in 2024, he only won because people couldn't stand 4 more years of trump. The guy has been a disaster otherwise. Unluckily for Kamala her political prospects are tied directly to Bidens, so I reckon we wont be seeing her much after 2024.

Trump is likely to be the 2024 GOP nominee. So that might save Biden. Unless the economy is bad.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
And you don't think Trump campaigning as loudly and belligerently as possible to his overzealous supporters is not going to remind everyone else what a monster he is in the bluntest fashion possible?

I am hoping that's the case at least. I expect far new lows if he does have a new campaign.

Just hope Twitter continues to stand by their ban.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure he's lost the support of every anti-vaxxer in the country.

I think it's still too early to make any kind of call about how 2024 is going to go. This data is pretty in line with historical trends, right? Presidents bleed approval in their first two years.

In our time of hyper partisanship and a one-in-a-generation pandemic, I think this is pretty expected.

tbf, even if I disapprove, I'm definitely not voting republican.
Same here, and that's not changing.

Last edited:

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
I think the supply chain issues stands to be the biggest hurdle Democrats are going to face in 2022, especially if it carries into the next election season. My local supermarket has been out of frozen french fries for two weeks and the MSM is warning people to buy their holiday gifts early. Americans are going to judge Biden and the Democrats a lot more harshly if they can't buy their kids a PS5 or eat french fries than whether climate change or free community college bills pass.
I forsee a lot of breathless "THIS IS WHAT LIFE WOULD B LIKE UNDER SOCIALIZM" headlines as we live that experience under capitalism.

Biden is as good as done in 2024, he only won because people couldn't stand 4 more years of trump. The guy has been a disaster otherwise. Unluckily for Kamala her political prospects are tied directly to Bidens, so I reckon we wont be seeing her much after 2024.
A disaster? Really?

karmaforgotme

Oct 27, 2017
Knoxville, TN
Biden is as good as done in 2024, he only won because people couldn't stand 4 more years of trump. The guy has been a disaster otherwise.

Not so fast my friend. The political landscape changes daily and he is only 10 months in. Myself I really don't care about 2024 polling in 2021. Who knows what will happen in the next 3 years that could bounce him to record highs or lows. Plus many many times presidents have lost both houses and it was all doom and gloom in the midterms, and that president gets reelected. Not saying it is going to happen, but I am not going to be so knee jerky in 2021 about 2024.

I guess my point is the back half matters a lot more than the first half. I do agree why he won in 2020, but he would have steamed rolled Trump in 2016.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
The way Democrats have governed has been borderline incompetent.

What really started his spiral was the pullout of Afghanistan. I don't think anyone can say it was handled well.
Also things like inflation and shortages in areas like grocery stores are finally affecting the average American.

Meanwhile the only thing I see Democrats doing is fighting over the size of the plan they want to enact. They plan on spending 3 Trillion dollars and they haven't even bothered to sell the benefits to Americans.

Stuff like having the IRS snoop on accounts with as little as $600 in it isn't going to bring support to your bill.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Biden has done more actual work in less than a year than Trump did in 4. People are fucking dense and Republicans have completely scrambled everyone's brains on what to expect from government and POTUS.
Politics is about PR unfortunately.

Biden has been poor here although I agree with most of his policies.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well the narrative for Biden is changing, you mention Biden and people would say lack of leadership, failure and lack of energy. That's what people are saying and I don't see that many people defending him anymore besides the hardcore democrats.

viandante

Apr 24, 2020
the president can only do so much tbh. his agenda is a good agenda. it isn't getting passed. he can't go beat up manchin. 🤷

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I'm not sure how true this is. Hispanics aren't a monolith and many are very against things like DACA and blanket amnesty. I see it here in South Texas and it's not uncommon.
Yup. Lots of fuck you got mine going on.
The big unforced error, in my eyes, is not that the house of cards fell, but that it fell so much more rapidly than expected, creating secondary crises. The US should have started evacuating all interested/vulnerable Afghan citizens long, long before we did.
This I still don't get. What was accomplished was by far the most ambitious and successful refugee operation in American history. Media focused on issues in the first days and largely ignored the overall successes and people lapped it up.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I think polls are still broken from 2016, Elder was on track to beat Newsom. Newsom ended up with record numbers in a off year. Shit is wild day to day, let along years out

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I would actually blame the idiots who allowed scum like Collins and other Republicans to get reelected. As an outsider, they are the reason Biden can't pass his agenda, and emboldened deplorables like Manchin and Sinema.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
This I still don't get. What was accomplished was by far the most ambitious and successful refugee operation in American history. Media focused on issues in the first days and largely ignored the overall successes and people lapped it up.
You're not wrong, but evacuations of vulnerable Afghan citizens still should and could have started much earlier. There were stories all summer about people within the administration sounding the alarm at the slow rate of evacuations, well before the withdrawal & Taliban takeover.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I personally hate Latino narratives. It's a very complex demographic.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
You're not wrong, but evacuations of vulnerable Afghan citizens still should and could have started much earlier. There were stories all summer about people within the administration sounding the alarm at the slow rate of evacuations, well before the withdrawal & Taliban takeover.

didnt the afghan govt prevent that?

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
It seems to me that the vaccination rate was fast during the first half of the year, then plateaued. Now people are unhappy on both sides of the divide: The vaccinated because the rate has basically stopped, and antivaxxers because of the mandates.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Even if someone wanted to defend Biden, it's a problem when the best defense is a whole ass Civics lesson, an elaborate explanation about the demographics of West Virginia, and then a whole economic lesson about supply chain management.

Like that just doesn't fit neatly into a Twitter post ya know?

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think polls are still broken from 2016, Elder was on track to beat Newsom. Newsom ended up with record numbers in a off year. Shit is wild day to day, let along years out
The general thought was that Newsom had it in the bag, which was correct after they made Elder the Trump like person and fought against that, but that's California. The bluest state of them all, a Democrat was always going to win.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017

There's the incumbency advantage plus three years is a goddamn long time in the world today and an eternity in the goldfish brains of the electorate. Always in motion the future is.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I seriously fear a Trump win in 2024.

I do too, but that fear will get people to the polls. If it's true that Biden only won in 2020 because of the anti-Trump vote, then Trump on the ballot is the best thing for him. And Biden will be the incumbent this time. On the other hand, there's the fear that Trump's cronies in swing states help him steal the election.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

Trump is likely to be the 2024 GOP nominee. So that might save Biden. Unless the economy is bad.

The 2024 nominee is very likely to be either Trump or DeSantis. And in both cases I honestly think Biden wins hard. Against Trump because people are still scared shitless of him and will flock in droves to keep him out. Against DeSantis because Florida's become the poster child of fucking up COVID for everyone with DeSantis up top, plus he'd likely constantly bring up serving Trump's will which would again turn out all the anti-Trumpers.

Presidentially only becomes a problem IMO in 2028 because right now we don't have anyone as good at getting that anti-Trump turnout. So the far bigger concern in my mind is what happens with Dems overall beginning in 2022.

I personally hate Latino narratives. It's a very complex demographic.

It's complex because we've created this giant group that is so diverse they're frankly at ends of themselves. You cannot appeal to conservative Texas and Florida Latinos the way you do liberal California Latinos. And I don't think anybody knows how you square that circle.

Oct 27, 2017
He's a bore. And you may say that's what we wanted after Trump, but no, we wanted a boring president, we didn't want a bore as president. There's absolutely no charisma. SNL stopped parodying him because there's nothing to parody.
I don't give a shit about how "exciting" a president is. I want someone to do thing and improve things. People who expect the President to act like a celeb are what's wrong and that's only intensified thanks to Trump

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
The 2024 nominee is very likely to be either Trump or DeSantis. And in both cases I honestly think Biden wins hard. Against Trump because people are still scared shitless of him and will flock in droves to keep him out. Against DeSantis because Florida's become the poster child of fucking up COVID for everyone with DeSantis up top, plus he'd likely constantly bring up serving Trump's will which would again turn out all the anti-Trumpers.

Presidentially only becomes a problem IMO in 2028 because right now we don't have anyone as good at getting that anti-Trump turnout. So the far bigger concern in my mind is what happens with Dems overall beginning in 2022.

It's complex because we've created this giant group that is so diverse they're frankly at ends of themselves. You cannot appeal to conservative Texas and Florida Latinos the way you do liberal California Latinos. And I don't think anybody knows how you square that circle.
I'm Latino as well.

That said Biden can do better here. Him continuing Trump's immigration policy is a huge error.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
His approval rating is going to sink even more if he doesn't implement a solution to the supply chain issues before Christmas.

As fucking sad as that statement is, it is true. I feel like I'm living in a parody any time I catch up on politics.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I don't give a shit about how "exciting" a president is. I want someone to do thing and improve things. People who expect the President to act like a celeb are what's wrong and that's only intensified thanks to Trump
Exciting presidents win elections. Biden's win over Trump is really the only exception to this, because people voted more against Trump than they did for Biden.

Captain_Vyse

Jun 24, 2020
It's too early to say he's doomed, people. 2024 is several lifetimes away in political terms. If COVID gets under control, and the supply chain issues are sorted (gas and food prices going up hits every American, and is a big source of frustration) his numbers will begin to improve.

I suspect most Americans have already forgotten about Afghanistan.

Lucky Aces

Banned
Dec 7, 2020
at least Biden has 3 more years left to turn things around, but yeah…if an election was right around the corner, Biden would get crushed.

No wage increases while shortages and car prices, house prices, meat prices, etc are through the roof. People are gonna look for someone else to solve that even if it isn't his fault.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure how true this is. Hispanics aren't a monolith and many are very against things like DACA and blanket amnesty. I see it here in South Texas and it's not uncommon.
Sadly you're right but there are a lot of Mexican people here in SA that don't vote. I would hope something like Castro's plan would encourage more to do so. Of course, who knows. Sadly Trump getting like 30% Latino vote is maddening, and while the demographic is not a monolith, there are common issues that you'd think ppl would rally together for against republicans.

but the "fuck you I got mine" attitude is sadly really big here in south TX, for sure yeah

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Many independents were naive about what an exit from Afghanistan would look like. We lost this war in 2003, there's a reason why 3 presidential administrations kicked the can on evacuating from Afghanistan for 15+ more years. That along with the summer spike in COVID was the pivot for his administration with independents. There were other events too, immigration is one, but Afghanistan + Summer COVID spike were the major events that put him underwater. The economic recovery being mixed signals, good jobs numbers for 3 months, and then middling numbers, along with supply chain disruptions from the pandemic, has also hurt but those supply chain disruptions have been present since early 2021, they didnt' become contributing factors to job approval until Afghanistan Exit + COVID spike.

2024 is a long time away, and polling approval numbers aren't strong indicators of re-election. Trump was underwater for his whole presidency and while he lost, it was like ~60,000 people over 3 states that bumped him, basically the same sort of thing that got him elected.

Something unique about Biden from Trump (Well, a thousand things) is that Biden does not have the sort of support from his party that Trump does, either from the left or the right. Trump had that rock solid ~90% support from his party because it's devolved into a personality cult, something that no Democrat will have in our generation.

His approval rating is going to sink even more if he doesn't implement a solution to the supply chain issues before Christmas.

As fucking sad as that statement is, it is true. I feel like I'm living in a parody any time I catch up on politics.

The Administration is throwing everything at the wall with supply chain disruption, but there's not much that can be done. It's a global supply chain, building ports takes years, and while both infrastructure bills overhaul and streamline our ports of entry, neither of those are shovel ready immediately to make any dent in ~3months.

When Americans are ordering far more goods from overseas, like growth in foreign imports by 50% in one single calendar year, 33% in a the following quarter, and the places we're buying them from have much stricter rules on factory supplies during COVID (China closes plants when there are individual cases of COVID), there's nothing that can be done unless consumer buying habits change, but those aren't changing, and if they do change it's goign to be *more* purchases from Amazon, *more* imports from Asia and abroad, not less.

I try to "buy local" as much as anybody, but during the pandemic I bought *everything* on Amazon, shit I've never bought online before. I had never done food delivery from the grocery store, but then realized like, "oh, shit, this is actually kinda awesome and convenient." I had never bought toilet paper or household supplies online before, Ia lways went to the supermarket or Target, but then realized it's just as convenient and the same price to buy it online. And that leads to more stuff bought digitally that's shipped from around the world.

For every "high disapproval ratings on immigration" result there's always an extremely bleak follow up where you find out the issue isn't that he's continuing Donald Trump's immigration policies, it's that he isn't being even worse

MglT25t.png

ort55kF.png

This isn't particularly surprising given that during the first several months of the Biden Administration, instead of covering the fact that the concentration camps are still open (they are still open btw!), the media ran nonstop stories about how our borders are being overrun.

But at least slightly more folks seem to understand that deporting asylum seekers is bad, actually.
b1sJjof.png

z1tFLbA.png

This is from the poll the article cites on Biden doing poorly on immigration, for the record.

Exactly. Spot on with this and Afghanistan.

Biden dropped below 50% and into the 40s and 30s because independents never wanted to leave Afghanistan, or at least, they wanted the war to be over but they don't know what losing a 20 year war looks like. They see people cramming into airports to escape a country that's going to be overrun by militant religious zealots and say, "Jesus... maybe we should stay another 6months... another 18months... another 4 years..." This is what happens when you lose a war 15+ years ago but leadership keeps it going indefinitely.

And with immigration it's the same thing. A large majority of independents *want* draconian immigration policies and they buy the narrative of "invasions" and what not. I have in-laws who voted for Trump in 2016 or didn't vote for anybody, and then they voted for Biden in 2020 because they thought Trump was too much of a disaster even for them, but talk to them about immigrants and it's "Country's full as it is," "we can't provide for our own let alone [insert Latin American or Carribean country]," etc. And most of these people are the children of immigrants or the grandchildren of immigrants themselves.

Last edited:

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
Supply chains are going to be fucked for *years*. This is not a quick fix thing.

I understand that. You think the average American will understand that? Of course not.

That is why politics in this country feels like a fucking parody. The populace is so brainwashed by consumerism, that they will froth over some gifts not delivering by Christmas, while ignoring real issues like wealth inequality, racial injustice, and a deteriorating environment.