Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Valheim so far. Returnal was great; only wish there was a bit more to it, I was done with it pretty quickly.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Monster Hunter Rise is in a throne warming spot currently, I feel like it can be easily unseated since it's another iterative round of monster hunter, but it's a damn fine round that takes all the improvements of World and then manages to hit many of the sweet spots I found World to miss a bit on (notably new monster designs and battles, Rise has a strong lineup)

All the praise had me making plans for it takes two with a friend, but then it turned out his PS plus had expired, and now mine is also expired, this moves to me Xbox options and my friends on that side don't feel like as good a fit to put it bluntly, so it's stuck on limbo despite all the praise having me very intrigued.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
It takes two. It has some flaws but the creativity and ingenuity deserves every accolade it potentially receives.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I'm actually struggling to think of a 2021 game I bought aside from Mass Effect Legendary Edition, Guilty Gear Strive and the SMT: Nocturne remaster. And I only got the last two yesterday.

So ME: LE it is then.

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
I mostly played on PS5, but yeah Returnal by far. Just feels so good to play.

I only played the first 5h or so of Rift Apart and it feels so bland to control in comparison.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Hard to pick one - so here's 10 so far that I really liked

Manduan
Chivalry 2
Loop Hero
Narita Boy
Before Your Eyes
RE Village
Hitman 3
Genesis Noir
Knockout City
Outriders

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Ratchet & Clank. RE8 I own but still need to play through and Returnal is dope but releasing it without a proper save system kicked it down a few notches for me.

I put the most time into Outriders (50 hours with friends) and had a blast but that game was such a buggy fucked up mess that I can't bring myself to add it to any GOTY list.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Mass Effect Legendary Edition. Great version of my favorite game series.

If it has to be a new release and not a remaster/remake, I guess Outriders. Had a blast with the campaign and haven't played many new releases this year as few have interested me enough to pay launch/near launch prices.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Returnal is looking good right now. Rift Apart was fantastic but essentially more of the same. If we get to count PS5 patches then maybe Ghost of Tsushima? Outriders is finally in good enough to shape to be a contender in my book.

I haven't played RE8 yet as I refuse to play it till its in VR.

Doing a disservice to your avatar man…

Ghosts n Goblins Resurrection for me.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Ratchet and Clank is kind of undisputed at this point. And judging by the rest of 2021 I don't see many other challengers on the horizon except for well.... Horizon.

Need to play the first Horizon before that one comes out though!

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
People can be pedantic and say it doesn't count but meh, recently beat Disco Elysium Final Cut and it blew all the others I've played this year out of the water. If I really thought about it I'd probably give it a 10. It's one of the better stories in a game I've seen in a long time. The hype was justified.

That's not to say this year has been bad so far, far from it, but Disco was just that good.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Ld68GZEWdjhRWw8B8WuYQiEU.png

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
So far Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart. I imagine it'll be high in my list at the end of the year, but not my GotY. Unless everything else I'm looking forward to disappoints.

madgorillaz

Oct 28, 2017
Returnal. I honestly think that with time, this game has the potential to be looked upon as a classic.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
For me is ratchet and clank at moment.
Its a fantastic game but didn't have so much competition to be honest.
Didn't like Returnal and didn't play RE8.

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
I'd probably say R&C:RA.

Followed by RE:VIII and then Mario 3D: Bowser's Fury (never played the OG).

Oct 25, 2017
Difficult, probably Resident Evil Village or R&C but I can't chose a winner.

Can I just say Ghost Recon Wildlands? Im playing that for the first time and can't put it down hah

fjollum

Apr 9, 2020
1. Knockout City
2. Chivalry 2
3. Hitman 3

(honorable mentions go to Dorf Romantik, Wildermyth, and Loop Hero)

mudron

Feb 13, 2020
Aside from still plugging away at Animal Crossing in the dim hope that some big update might be coming to the game soon, I've only played Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury, Wreckfest, RE Village, Ratchet & Clank and Yakuza: Like A Dragon., but I'd have to say….

…. Yakuza: Like A Dragon.

It feels like one of those games that was unique enough that it'll be one of the few games to really jump off the page when looking at the list of the games that came out in 2021 (or close to it) when looking back years from now.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Mass Effect Legendary Edition. Followed closely by Nioh 2 (complete edition).

Still need to play Subnautica Below Zero and, when they launch, System Shock and Deathloop, which are the only other 2021 GOTY contenders on the horizon for me.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Returnal is comfortably in that spot for me. Only Metroid Dread and SMTV have a shot at dethroning it for me this year looking at the upcoming release schedule.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Ratchet would clinch it, but It Takes Two still reigns as my favorite of the year. One of my favorite gaming experiences in years, tbh.