• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Twingsy

Oct 27, 2017
Moon
As you may or may not know, Ghost of Tsushima is an open-world stealth action-adventure title set in the Sengoku period in Japan, and is heavily inspired by Kurosawa films.
Now, they easy thing to do would be to recommend Kurosawa films, however in my experience people, especially younger, don't like watching black and white films because they're black and white. So, instead I'll try to recommend a few newer, readily-available Samurai films as an appetiser for the game.

1. 13 Assassins (Dir Takashi Miike)
An absolute must-watch and the epitome of the Samurai movie, 13 Assassins is one Miike's best and centres around, well, 13 Assassins. It has some great action, and really emits that old-school Samurai feeling through and through. Not the most complex of the bunch, but definitely an entertaining one.

2. Hara-Kiri (Dir Takashi Miike)
And we're back with good ol' Miike, this time with Hara-Kiri, which, like 13 Assassins, is a remake of a film from the 60s, and yet it matches the original in quality. Hara-Kiri is far more character focused than 13 Assassins, and, despite having little action, is gut-wrentchingly intense. Hara-Kiri revovles around a Samurai visiting his daimyo (Fedual lord), asking for the favour of being able to do the titular suicide in his castle's yard. Most of the film takes place in flashbacks, as he explains why he wants to do this, and with each new revelation your blood will pump faster.

3. The Hidden Blade (Dir Yoji Yamada)
The Hidden Blade is considered to be one of 00 Japan's greats. Unlike Miikes films, Yamada's are very down to earth and focused exploring the society of the time period dealing with corrupt lords and struggling with Samurai morals. It's also light on action.

4. Zatoichi (Dir Takeshi Kitano)
Zatoichi from Beat Takeshi, who may recognise from Yakuza 6, directs and stars in this film as the titular blind swordsman. This Dramedy, in which Zatoichi deals with the yakuza, is strange and quirky, yet poignant . The less said the better. If the trailer doesn't sell you, no words will.

OP
OP
Twingsy

Twingsy

Oct 27, 2017
Moon
5. Silence (Dir Martin Scorsese)
Wait, this isn't a Samurai film? This isn't even Japanese you say? Correct! Yet, this Scorsese film is a superb watch and gives another look into Sengoku Japan. Based on a novel written by Shusaku Endou, it deals with Jesuit priestsattempting to spread Catolicism to the Japanese. What follows is a film focused on Christian genocide and the question of faith. Like many of Scorsese films, it's a gut-punch and very very good and very very long.

6. The Twilight Samurai (Dir Yoji Yamada)
Another one of Yamada's, nominated for the Foreign Language Ocar. The Twilight Samurai focuses on Seibei, whose wive dies early in the film to a sickness, and whose mother as dementia. It explores the diffculties of living as a low-ranking Samurai in a precise character study. A slow film, but with a breadth of themes of topics tackled. Like Yamada's previous film, there is little action - but what little there is as good as the rest of the film.

7. Rurouni Kenshin (Dir Keishi Outomo)
Adapted from the manga of the same name, it's one the key examples of how to adapt manga into live-action. With beautifully shot cinematography, and some of the best choreographed sword action scenes you can find in modern cinema, especially well accented by Naoki Satou's soundtrack. It's popcorn cinema, but it's some damn good popcorn cinema.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks so much for these recommendations! They all look super interesting. Going to start going through these the coming weekend!

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize there was a remake of Harakiri.

Dunno about the remake but the original and such a tightly told story that'll keep you at the edge of your seat. Tons of great story beats in it.

[edit]

Probably shouldn't watch the trailer for the remake, it spoils a big reveal in the film.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
If you aren't afraid of black & white, go watch the master's work :
Rashomon,
7 samurais,
Yojimbo,
Sanjuro

eventually Ran and Kagemusha.

While you're at it, don't miss out on Stray Dog, High Low and Ikiru

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
You're recommending Rurouni Kenshin before The Seven Samurai or any other Kurosawa samurai film?

Why?

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Some good choices! 13 Assassins is a recent favorite -- that final action scene is something else.

Omar Ramzy

Banned
Oct 21, 2019
You at least could have mentioned the original Harakiri By Masashi Kobayashi.

It's not a bad list, It's just watching Akira Kurosawa's movies would be a much better Idea, I guess.
They made a vintage filter for the game inspired by his movies. IMO anyway.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Very surprised by the recommendation of Miike's Harakiri over Kobayashi's legendary original. Harakiri is one of the best films I've seen in my life.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Firstly not watching films because they're black and white is lame

Also Kurosawa has 2 Jeadigeki epics in full colour, Ran and Kagemusha

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Ooh fun thread idea. I'm not really interested in the game itself, but these films seem like solid recommendations. They have to be, when they're in the same list with Silence. Unexpected recommendation for the thread (or Era at all tbh), but it's damn fine film and was happy to see it mentioned. Very underappreciated, partly because nobody's seen it.

If you aren't afraid of black & white, go watch the master's work :
Rashomon,
7 samurais,
Yojimbo,
Sanjuro

eventually Ran and Kagemusha.

While you're at it, don't miss out on Stray Dog, High Low and Ikiru
Only seen 7 Samurais and Yojimbo, I def should watch more. Did you mention Rashomon first as you think it's the best, is that what I should check first?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Watched Samurai Rebellion 2 days ago, that's another great film that any fan of the genre should watch.

The only Kurosawa samurai films I've not watch are Ran, Kagemusha and Red Beard. I've been wanting to watch those for, like, 12 years but haven't gotten around to it.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Ooh fun thread idea. I'm not really interested in the game itself, but these films seem like solid recommendations. They have to be, when they're in the same list with Silence. Unexpected recommendation for the thread, but it's damn fine film and was happy to see it mentioned. Very underappreciated, partly because nobody's seen it.

Only seen 7 Samurais and Yojimbo, I def should watch more. Did you mention Rashomon first as you think it's the best, is that what I should check first?
All of those movies are great, and all are very different (save Yojimbo and Sanjuro. The latter is a direct sequel to the former with the same protagonist).

Jul 24, 2018
Love_and_honor.jpg

The third film in the Yoji Yamada trilogy Love and Honor stars Takuya Kimura (Yagami from Judgment) and he's quite excellent in it. Everyone should watch all 3 of them

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
FYI if you're in the UK you can watch most Kurosawa films on the BFI player which recently started a Japan season. It's got a two week free trial and supporting the BFI is a good cause because it's a registered charity that does a lot of work for film preservation and indie films.

Socky

Oct 27, 2017
Manchester, UK
Some good choices here, but there are so many classics not mentioned.

Sword of Doom, The Samurai Trilogy and Lone Wolf and Cub, to name but a few.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I was really surprised by how good Rurouni Kenshin was. A lot of those live action anime films tend to be pretty dookie, so while the trailer was good, I kinda expected the final film to not be much but I was wrong. The action in particular was incredible, they translated it perfectly into live action.

OP
OP
Twingsy

Twingsy

Oct 27, 2017
Moon
You're recommending Rurouni Kenshin before The Seven Samurai or any other Kurosawa samurai film?

Why?
You at least could have mentioned the original Harakiri By Masashi Kobayashi.

It's not a bad list, It's just watching Akira Kurosawa's movies would be a much better Idea, I guess.
They made a vintage filter for the game inspired by his movies. IMO anyway.

No Yojimbo and it's sequel, Seven Samurais or Ran or any Kurosawa movie?!?

These are a must watch.

I wholeheartedly agree! But I've met a lot of people who would just flat-out refuse to watch black and white films, or even just films that date back to before the 80s. Convincing my gf to watch a black and white film is a near impossible task, which why I decided to recommend some newer films instead. I've learned that for a lot people these films look and feel like they're, well, from the last century and are difficult watch without an inherent fascination for either the time or for film.

Could also just be that I've met the wrong people, but yeah.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
LOL, you can tell who hasn't read the OP if they're wondering why there are no Kurosawa movies:

Now, they easy thing to do would be to recommend Kurosawa films, however in my experience people, especially younger, don't like watching black and white films because they're black and white. So, instead I'll try to recommend a few newer, readily-available Samurai films as an appetiser for the game.

DavidBoring

Oct 27, 2017
There are so many great films to discover, you shouldn't really narrow it down to a list of films from the last couple of years

Lady Snowblood and the Lone Wolf and Cub Series would be my suggestions

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody watched Lady Snowblood?

220px-Lady_Snowblood_%28film%29.jpg

From Wikipedia:
Lady Snowblood (Japanese: 修羅雪姫, Hepburn: Shurayuki-hime) is a 1973 Japanese jidaigeki film directed by Toshiya Fujita and starring Meiko Kaji.[2] It is based on the manga series of the same name, recounting the tale of Yuki, a woman who seeks vengeance upon three of the people who raped her mother and killed her father and brother.
Lady Snowblood is great.

It heavily inspired Kill Bill, QT even used the theme in KB.

Amir Mirzaee

Sep 9, 2018
Considering we're talking about a game that has a black and white "Samurai Cinema" mode, don't you think your list of "absolute must watch films" should at least include a few?

I'd say if anyone is going get themselves ready for Ghost of Tsushima by watching Samurai movies, they should go for films such as "Yojimbo", "Seven Samurai", "Throne of Blood" and Kobayashi's "Hara-Kiri". Nothing against the remake, but it doesn't even come close to the original.

Oct 27, 2017

From Wikipedia:
Lady Snowblood (Japanese: 修羅雪姫, Hepburn: Shurayuki-hime) is a 1973 Japanese jidaigeki film directed by Toshiya Fujita and starring Meiko Kaji.[2] It is based on the manga series of the same name, recounting the tale of Yuki, a woman who seeks vengeance upon three of the people who raped her mother and killed her father and brother.

I watched this a long time ago. I really liked it. Still have the DVD somewhere. I tried to watch the sequel but fell asleep.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I wholeheartedly agree! But I've met a lot of people who would just flat-out refuse to watch black and white films, or even just films that date back to before the 80s. Convincing my gf to watch a black and white film is a near impossible task, which why I decided to recommend some newer films instead. I've learned that for a lot people these films look and feel like they're, well, from the last century and are difficult watch without an inherent fascination for either the time or for film.

I mean, those people exist, but if I want to recommend classic samurai films, I'll recommend what I feel is right, color be damned.

Also, yeah. Ran and Kagemusha are both in color.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
What's the name of the movie having Kojima's hand cut like Ocelot by Grey Fox?
Are you talking about the series by Winding Refn, Too Old to Die Young. It's actually Kojima cutting someone's finger off though, so maybe it's not the same?
All of those movies are great, and all are very different (save Yojimbo and Sanjuro. The latter is a direct sequel to the former with the same protagonist).
Rashomon is my favorite Kurosawa film, it is a must watch.
Aight, thanks! By a quick glance it seems Rashomon atleast is available in Amazon Prime Video. I guess I need to sub again.

Nov 14, 2017
I think anyone who flat out refuses to watch B&W films is on the same level as someone who refuses to eat vegetables. Those Kurosawa films are classic for a reason.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
Thank you for the recommendations OP! Gonna start with 13 Assassins, as I'm in the mood for some action, but I'll eventually watch all of them, as I'm in my vacation month and I can't go anywhere because of the quarantine. I'll keep a look at this thread for other recommendations too.

Oct 27, 2017

But they gotta learn!

The black and white movies are awesome. They are really beautiful.
LOL, you can tell who hasn't read the OP if they're wondering why there are no Kurosawa movies:
I admit. I overlooked that part cause I was reading really fast to see if Kurosawa's movies are in or not.
Lady Snowblood is great.

It heavily inspired Kill Bill, QT even used the theme in KB.

Yeah I heard about that which made me go and find it. I am really glad I did.
I watched this a long time ago. I really liked it. Still have the DVD somewhere. I tried to watch the sequel but fell asleep.
I never did watch the sequel. Will have to look for it once I rewatch the first.

playXray

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Those people are dumb.

I gotta say, I understand the OP's logic. I love old movies, as far back as the 20s at least, but the Kurosawa movies are bit dated compared to some of the movies in the OP. I'd definitely recommend anyone interested in the genre to watch the Kurosawa movies, but for a modern audience they're probably not the best place to start.

foggy

Oct 25, 2017
Shogun's Shadow
Shogun's Samurai
Hitokiri
Goyokin

Modern samurai movies are mostly lame, so it's no fun excluding b&w or older samurai films. They were just better(still love Miike's 13 Assassins and Hara-kiri though).

Three Outlaw Samurai felt super ahead of its time and is honestly more accessible than half of OP's list. If Kurosawa is too stodgy for your blood, watch Hideo Gosha.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017

From Wikipedia:

Absolute classic and masterpiece.

Also, I agree with the general sentiment that the Kurosawa films should've been included, even with the note that perhaps not everyone is into watching black and white movies. Include them regardless. After all, it's just recommendation. Everyone has to decide on their own what movies to watch.

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
Meant to watch Silence for a while now, good reminder.

From Kurosawa's films, which ones should someone prioritize to watch?

Bish_Bosch

Apr 30, 2018
The Kitano remake of Zatoishi is massively underrated but if you are interested in recent stuff Oshima's Taboo is essential viewing. Also for a classic both adaptations of Ballad of Narayama are great though the Imamura version is superior.