• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Watched 13 Assassins with my wife and she enjoyed it. I had seen it and she never had. Hoping to watch some of the suggested movies in here with her but need to pick something probably with good pacing, I don't think a black and white slow burn would be the best to start her out with. Any suggestions on the below movies of which to watch with her as a good starting point? Good pacing, action, not too campy
Yojimbo
Sword of Doom
Lone Wolf and Cub
Kagemusha
Harakiri
Zatoichi 2003
Rashomon
Lone Wolf & Cub

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna toss in a recommendation here for The Sword of Doom, one of the best and most underrated samurai films I've ever seen. It's one of the rare samurai movies that has an outright villain protagonist who doesn't get any kind of redemption arc, and it's a very interesting and creepy character study that asks a lot of questions about the nature of evil (and it has great fights too).
You sold me, lol. Just ordered a copy.
Also don't miss this.
cinema.36chambers.com

36 Chambers: Contemporary Fashion & Vegan Accessories

Contemporary Fashion & Vegan Accessories. Bomber, Coach's & Souvenir Jackets. Wallets, Backpacks, Bags. Select music products from 36 Chamber artists. Influenced by Chinese Culture, Hip Hop, Kung Fu.
Shogun Assasin with live commentary from RZA.
This is really interesting. I just hope there's a physical copy of this or digital download option later on.
Rifftrax does live shows too, but they'll put those up for grabs digitally and some on disc too. I guess this thing is more "interactive" though.

Re: Lady Snowblood.
Again, I haven't seen it yet, but I asked for it as an early birthday present last year from my sister during the annual Criterion sale (I think it was like less than 20 bucks at the time).
When she asked me why I wanted these old movies, I texted her a link to this video.

Again... I haven't seen them yet, so I don't know how well this represents the movies, but I just thought it was badass (and also I wanted to send it to her because the long paved walkway down a hill reminded me of some castle or maybe just large old-ass house we visited when we lived in Okinawa. It did for her too).

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
You sold me, lol. Just ordered a copy.

This is really interesting. I just hope there's a physical copy of this or digital download option later on.
Rifftrax does live shows too, but they'll put those up for grabs digitally and some on disc too. I guess this thing is more "interactive" though.

Again, I haven't seen it yet, but I asked for it as an early birthday present last year from my sister during the annual Criterion sale (I think it was like less than 20 bucks at the time).
When she asked me why I wanted these old movies, I texted her a link to this video.

Again... I haven't seen them yet, so I don't know how well this represents the movies, but I just thought it was badass (and also I wanted to send it to her because the long paved walkway down a hill reminded me of some castle or maybe just large old-ass house we visited when we lived in Okinawa. It did for her too).

Lady Snowblood is absolutely amazing. You won't be disappointed. The sequel is different in tone than the first, but is still good and crucially thematic in its own way

Wrote these impressions when I saw the first film earlier this year
You know, I think Tarantino might have liked this movie.

As awesome as Kill Bill Vol 1 is, I might appreciate Lady Snowblood even more. Fujita's film straddles two niches that I love: the early-1900s gangster action of Chang Cheh and the period anti-hero, blood geysers, and artful pulp of Lone Wolf & Cub. Reminiscent of Ogami's demon path, Yuki is ruthlessly dedicated to the asura lifestyle, a demon in human form sculpted from birth towards a single purpose. A mother's wrath incarnate, her birthright is vengeance. From beneath her sword-concealing parasol, actress Meiko Kaji radiates cold fury, her gaze cutting as deeply as her blade. It's a haunting stare: badass, furious, sad depending on the context.

She may be blood-splattered but Snowblood is no bride. We root for her success yet there is a tragedy to this vision of a woman stripped of everything but her mission, fulfilling an oath that isn't even her own. Even Beatrix Kiddo had a life beyond assassination; Yuki was never anything but hate and rage reaching out from beyond the grave.

Tarantino plucked shots, scenes, and story beats wholesale from this. Kill Bill's anime section echoes a sketched interlude here. Both films have the same POV shot of the perpetrators. There's a very similar plot point of cyclic violence being revenge's consequence. "We [You and I] have unfinished business." That is to be expected given his style, but in the original context of Lady Snowblood, those elements emerge as naturally stylistic rather than like lovingly nostalgic homages. The spraying blood and flying limbs are on par with Lone Wolf's carnage from the same era, here rendered stunningly ice-cool and sleek compared to that series' excess. The entire film oozes atmosphere, from the grimy prison where snow swirls beyond the bars to the striking imagery of Snowblood's crimson-streaked kimono. The camerawork is crucial to evoking that mood and tone, through how it smoothly flows along with Yuki's slaying strikes, or eerily frames her ready to pounce upon terrified foes, or captures the snow-cloaked sets.

Lady Snowblood remains an iconic tale of revenge drenched in blood and pulpy tragedy. Its legacy across the action cinema and thriller landscape is felt as sharply as a blade to the heart.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Lady Snowblood is absolutely amazing. You won't be disappointed. The sequel is different in tone than the first, but is still good and crucially thematic in its own way

Wrote these impressions when I saw the first film earlier this year
Hmmm... I was planning on watching them after watching the Lone Wolf and Cub movies I haven't gotten to yet, but maybe I'll just watch Lady Snowblood first. I mean, since it's only two movies (and I probably could've watched them both in the time I spent rewatching Seven Samurai today lol). Thanks for your thoughts on it.

Another piece of trivia I texted my sister: Lady Snowblood has a 100% "Tomatometer" score on Rotten Tomatoes.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna toss in a recommendation here for The Sword of Doom, one of the best and most underrated samurai films I've ever seen. It's one of the rare samurai movies that has an outright villain protagonist who doesn't get any kind of redemption arc, and it's a very interesting and creepy character study that asks a lot of questions about the nature of evil (and it has great fights too).
Sword of Doom is amazing but I feel, compared to other samurai films, its tendency to spend so much time on subplots that ultimately go nowhere make it suffer a bit. That said, I think that ending works perfectly despite the way it abruptly cuts like five different plots short. It's the kind of ending that the protagonist deserves

Have you seen Demons (Shura)? That's another tar-black samurai film that follows a descent into madness. I'd say it's even more f'd up and disturbing than Sword of Doom

wagesoffear98

Dec 8, 2019
Sword of Doom is amazing but I feel, compared to other samurai films, its tendency to spend so much time on subplots that ultimately go nowhere make it suffer a bit. That said, I think that ending works perfectly despite the way it abruptly cuts like five different plots short. It's the kind of ending that the protagonist deserves

Have you seen Demons (Shura)? That's another tar-black samurai film that follows a descent into madness. I'd say it's even more f'd up and disturbing than Sword of Doom
I have never even heard of that one, but now I'm excited to watch it!

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I have never even heard of that one, but now I'm excited to watch it!
Yeah, I'm interested in watching it, but delivery keeps getting delayed. Hopefully it actually shows up today.

Lady Snowblood was great! ...and yeah like More_Badass mentioned, as someone who has seen Kill Bill a fair number of times, there were definitely lines of Lady Snowblood that made me go "Oh! Look at that! That's... "familiar."" (not to mention the look of Oren Ishii)
VX2IsRl.jpg
0LzV0uf.jpg

qhJsD7z.jpg
DM8vW8e.jpg

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm interested in watching it, but delivery keeps getting delayed. Hopefully it actually shows up today.

Lady Snowblood was great! ...and yeah like More_Badass mentioned, as someone who has seen Kill Bill a fair number of times, there were definitely lines of Lady Snowblood that made me go "Oh! Look at that! That's... "familiar."" (not to mention the look of Oren Ishii)
VX2IsRl.jpg
0LzV0uf.jpg

qhJsD7z.jpg
DM8vW8e.jpg
DSpHBhdXUAU6bph.jpg

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what it is, but having seen some of those b&w movies, it seems they are far more visually interesting that the Tsushima b&w mode. Something is missing, but I'm not theatrically experienced enough to know what that is.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am actually 400% salt none of the Kurosawa movies are in a convient place to be watched without having to buy them all individually in the US

It would probably be cheaper to actually hire a samurai then to buy all these movies or pay for them alon a bunch of different services.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I am actually 400% salt none of the Kurosawa movies are in a convient place to be watched without having to buy them all individually in the US

It would probably be cheaper to actually hire a samurai then to buy all these movies or pay for them alon a bunch of different services.
Most of them are on Criterion

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
HBO Max is gonna have a ton of these:

Lady Snowblood
7 Samurai
The Samurai Trilogy
Kill!
All the Lone Wolf & Cub movies
Hanzo the Razor
...and some others.

hichanbis

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
OP's list is terrible honestly. Only lesser modern remakes of great movies.

Must watch are (from the top of my head) Kurosawa's samurai movies of course, the original hara kiri, Sword of doom, the Musashi trilogy with Mifune, and the original zatoichi movies.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Most of them are on Criterion
Yeah, I was about to mention I think the Criterion streaming service has like a 1 or 2 week trial.
Oh yeah, I definitely see it in that image you posted, but for some reason it just didn't "jump out" at me like those lines did when I was watching it.
HBO Max is gonna have a ton of these:

Lady Snowblood
7 Samurai
The Samurai Trilogy
Kill!
All the Lone Wolf & Cub movies
Hanzo the Razor
...and some others.
HBO Max, from what I understand, is also going to be the first place you can stream Studio Ghibli films, I think?
Not a bad launching lineup.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I was hoping their would be a few cool samurai movies on Netflix(UK),but there is fuck all......gonna have to make do with my The Last Samurai DVD to get me in the mood,not exactly what I had in mind though,lol.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
OP seems to be a pretty good list of post-Kurosawa samurai movies, almost none of which I've seen. I guess I'll have to rent/buy them individually because almost none seem to be streaming anywhere. A lot of the old black & white classics are coming to HBO Max though.

Isn't Ghost of Tsushima set during the Kamakura period?
Why's that hilarious? People just wanna see samurai films to set them in the mood, who cares what period they're set in.

Silence isn't even a samurai film but it's a great pick since it also sets the mood perfectly for GoT.
The developers are really inspired by all these movies, and that's inspiring all the weapons and armor you'll be seeing in the game, but all that stuff is from later periods which is gonna make this game extremely anachronistic. The western equivalent would be making a game/movies about pilgrims in the 1600's but dressing them up like cowboys or even modern people, with weapons from the 1800's and later.

If you notice, most of these movies are actually set during the Edo period (1600's through late 1800's) where it would make sense for combat with Katanas to be more common. Most of these movies don't feature a lot of large-scale open warfare, but rather intimate, personal conflicts between individuals or small groups of people, because the Edo period was one of relative peace. A lot of these movies are basically crime movies.

In the open warfare of earlier periods like the Kamakura and Sengoku periods, halberds, spears, and bows were probably way more commonly used than swords. Among the movies being listed here the obvious exceptions are Sengoku-era pieces like Ran, Kagemusha, and Seven Samurai.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Here's another off-beat recommend. I don't even think it qualifies as a cult classic, but I enjoyed it when I saw it earlier: The Silent Stranger (1968), the film that originated the East-meets-West concept, taking the Fistful-Yojimbo connections to their logical conclusion

This is a legit (if average) chambara plot, that happens to include a trickster cowboy playing both sides and meddling among feuding samurai clans. The clan storyline is played completely straight, and the movie was actually shot on location in Japan. (It had a sizable budget that shows onscreen and studio support, at least until the constant typhoons). The sword fights aren't half-bad either. There are no subtitles, making Tony Anthony's "The Stranger" a quirky fish out of water unable to understand the language. But the language of money and killing is universal, as he bounces between clans to even their odds with his skills. One side has a Gatling gun and a foreign gunslinger of their own, but the Stranger has Bugs Bunny-tier wile and eventually a gargantuan flintlock shotgun that sends samurai flying through walls. The rain-drenched finale is a climactic highlight, with ample amounts of clashing katanas and Stranger's cat-&-mouse shenanigans. There's just something undeniably fun about a laconic poncho-clad gunslinger wrecking havoc in the middle of a jidaigeki.

Last edited:

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping their would be a few cool samurai movies on Netflix(UK),but there is fuck all......gonna have to make do with my The Last Samurai DVD to get me in the mood,not exactly what I had in mind though,lol.

BFI player in the UK has a two week free trial and most classic Kurosawa Samurai films and will likely add more soon (Hara-Kiri is in the Japan Season key art but hasn't been added yet).

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
Weird question, watched Yojimbo today and enjoyed it. When did they start to get more realistic cut effects in the films? In Yojimbo the character basically would hit the guys with a sword and there were no cut shirt, slash, blood,etc effects at all.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017

I actually started watching the Lady Snowblood movies after reading the manga. I still need to watch the second one, but it's pretty badass.

The manga already had a very cinematic look and feel to it. You can definitely see where it inspired Kill Bill (the whole story really feels like a proto-Kill Bill).

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Less than 2 weeks until the game releases and I suppose this weekend and next are only left to consume as much Samurai Cinema as I can until the 17th. lol

So I pretty much binged the entire Lone Wolf & Cub series in the week which were all great, pulpy fun but I was also pleasantly surprised how good the action was. Pretty damn gory too. LOL There's a wonderful shot though in the first film after a duel earlier on, Itto standing victorious silhouetted with the setting sun in the background and his foe in the foreground standing decapitated for a moment before collapsing.

Today I'm starting up The Hidden Fortress and damn the presence of Toshiro Mifune in his first scene was awesome. The fact the other characters describe him as a lumberjack wasn't far off the mark. lol

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Less than 2 weeks until the game releases and I suppose this weekend and next are only left to consume as much Samurai Cinema as I can until the 17th. lol

So I pretty much binged the entire Lone Wolf & Cub series in the week which were all great, pulpy fun but I was also pleasantly surprised how good the action was. Pretty damn gory too. LOL There's a wonderful shot though in the first film after a duel earlier on, Itto standing victorious silhouetted with the setting sun in the background and his foe in the foreground standing decapitated for a moment before collapsing.

Today I'm starting up The Hidden Fortress and damn the presence of Toshiro Mifune in his first scene was awesome. The fact the other characters describe him as a lumberjack wasn't far off the mark. lol
Here's Mifune being one of the coolest people to ever live on the set of Sanjuro:

46d7d1aacdf02863a4961a96fb3ff2a4.jpg

And another one:

4724c5bfcf097a911f741ddc3d478630.jpg

Behind the scenes shots from period flicks are the best.

Oct 28, 2017
The lack of Seven Samarai and Hidden Fortress on your list are disturbing. Those are two amazing films. Seven Samarai basically laid the groundwork for many Samarai films to follow, Hidden Fortress actually was one of the inspirations to Star Wars and is considered one of the best Samarai movies as well.