• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Joan Ryan fabricated a false antisemitism charge against a Palestinian solidarity activist in 2016 which led to her local party passing a motion of no confidence in her. Another brave hero.

Last edited:

Otherist

Oct 27, 2017
England
The writing was rather on the wall with Joan Ryan; if I recall she'd already been no-confidenced by her local party for being a shockingly terrible person and went to Twitter to blame it all on "Trots and Stalinists!" rather than acknowledge they got sick of her shit.
Bye.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
It ultimately feels like labour politicians are abandoning labour to attempt to avoid the brexit stink prior to us leaving. Tories are old hat, they'll all resign after..just to stick the knife in

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Joan get a vote of no confidence a year back when some dodgy video of MPs getting bought came out?

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
Joan Ryan fabricated a false antisemitism charge against a Palestinian solidarity activist in 2016 which led to her local party passing a motion of no confidence in her. Another brave hero.

There was some undercover footage at one of the labour party conferences involving her. Can't remember the TV show

EDIT was on Al Jazeera

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was some undercover footage at one of the labour party conferences involving her. Can't remember the TV show

EDIT was on Al Jazeera

Yeah, she made a formal complaint against the activist and called for her expulsion from the Labour party. Luckily the Al Jazeera footage surfaced and exonerated her.

lemonhat

Dec 6, 2018
When Kanye West and Donald trump hung out, did you defend him? Was it appropriate for either Trump or West to claim they were representing the relationship black people had with the republican party? No, of course you didn't. Because it wasn't. And it's the same situation with Jewdas.

Mainstream Jewry in the UK is not a monolith but it is largely homogenous. The facts speak for themselves. 85% of British Jews feel that Corbyn is a racist, 90% of them support the state of Israel's right to exist, so how is a tiny group who believe the opposite of that in any way representative and why is it appropriate for Corbyn to say there's no problem, I met these Jews for a Seder, as if that puts things to bed?

He demonstrably does not have the support of British Jews. For reasons I've outlined, which keep getting ignored.

So far as I'm concerned Jewdas are largely an irrelevance, but to paint it as if they're not an extreme tangent of a tiny minority is just disengenous.

Wow. I was going to try and reply to this awful nonsense (comparing Corbyn and Jewdas to Trump and Kanye? WTF?!), but I can see he's been banned so no point. Good riddance.

And good riddance to Joan Ryan too.

knight714

Oct 27, 2017
Joan Ryan wrote an open letter to Corbyn calling for Palestinian refugees to be denied their legal right of return because of their race.
She's a vile racist and should've been kicked out the moment that happened.

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
I'll be surprised if any Tories leave and join this group, I feel that with the exception of Berger the rest of them are a bunch of chancers trying to save their political careers.

The gang of 4 leaving to form the SDP was a massive shake up but then the four that left were very very talented individuals the eight that have left again with the exception of Berger are talent less chancers trying to save their skins.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
That is all that is going to happen really. Tories to win the next 10 elections and the country to race wars. Sounds dope.... /s

I think people are getting ahead of themselves quite a bit. TIG is not yet an official party and, to do serious damage to Labour, they would have to stand hundreds of candidates in a forthcoming GE. Ultimately, before the next general election, the outcome of Brexit is going to completely alter the landscape anyway.

The polls that suggest they'd end up with 10% of the vote reflect a knee-jerk reaction: nobody really knows what they stand for. I guess it's basically New Labour 2.0, which probably could do quite well, but it's way too early to make predictions about what this is going to do given how hectic the immediate future is bound to be.

Personally the whole thing has been rather frustrating - I don't feel like Labour or the Conservatives represent me whatsoever. I do want something else, but this certainly isn't it.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017

For people to vote IG, firstly IG would have to be a party and not a corporation and secondly they would have to stand a lot more candidates than what they have currently.

On the first point, what are the odds that IG just creates a new entity as a political party and just transfers funds from the current IG corporation, effectively laundering the donations?

What are the odds that there are more, and they are trying to slow drip this? What other centrist shitbags do we reckon are likely to jump before they get pushed by their CLP?

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
What are the odds that there are more, and they are trying to slow drip this? What other centrist shitbags do we reckon are likely to jump before they get pushed by their CLP?

I think you're right on the slow drip, but I think it's semi-intentional. MPs waiting for other MPs to go, some may stay to see if the "we will do better" type speeches by the Labour leadership actually turn into something.. and I think we may see the odd Conservative MP join here and there. That alone would be big.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The absolute arrogance of this though

"Thanks for the money and support but I didn't really give a shit about Labour so I won't give you the chance to get rid of me"

And people wonder why people are happy to see the back of them.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The lib dems destroyed themselves after the first coalition government.

The manifesto isn't a plan, it's a collection of general policy areas that they would implement if they were in power.

But they're not in power, so that's not much of a plan is it?
"A lib Dem party who are not the Lib Dems" is kind of the obvious solution to the "We would like you if you didn't keep making such horrible decisions in power that empower the Tories instead of providing a check on a Labour government."

Ian Austin sounds like he's considering the jump. https://twitter.com/IanAustinMP

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
On paper that's how the GE is supposed to work but you can have a shaved monkey and just change the rosette to red or blue depending on the constituency and you've got yourself an MP.

It's a common practice for parties to parachute their more "talented" candidates into these safe seats.

lemonhat

Dec 6, 2018
If this group has any lasting effect beyond the initial buzz of their founding, that seems all too likely. I rather suspect they'd be more comfortable with more Tory rule than an actual left-wing government anyway.

Does seem like many of them were disappointed that Labour wasn't crushed in the 2017 general election so that they could force Corbyn out and reclaim the party (where's that Stephen Kinnock gif when you need it?). So now they're going to try and destroy Labour from the outside by killing its chances at a future general election (because 2017 shows it does have a genuine chance) and then try and take over the rubble I guess? Although the left isn't going to be put back in its box thankfully so I've no idea where it will all lead. Hopefully make sure to pick select really good, diverse progressives with links to their local communities, not just PPE types, and make full use of the party's campaigning machinery to get a message of hope out there. These Independent Group lot don't really have much of a base amongst the public so I'm sure Labour will be able to run rings around them on the ground. The media is another matter, but as a minor party (or whatever they are) they won't be getting much coverage during an actual campaign. In key marginals it could be a bloodbath though. They know they'll be guaranteeing Tory victories if they stand in them. Amber Rudd must be absolutely thrilled.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I'd prefer the MPs just got together and killed the party off than this nonsense, there isn't time for a death by a thousand cuts, get on with it.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's extremely annoying that selfish Labour cunts continue to hand more and more power to the Tories.

If they hadn't spent every fucking day since Corbyn was voted in trying to find a way to get rid of him, maybe (huge maybe to be honest) we'd be in a different place.

I mean they can call whatever the fuck this is, whatever the fuck they want.

But all they're doing is handing power over to the Tories.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
As far as 9 year old dug up gotcha tweets go, this is pretty weak.
It's doing the rounds, it's not so much a gotach as facts. We don't vote for the party, we vote the person and cry as people might there's absolutely no reason for any MP to give up the seat they were elected in.

Honestly sick of the whole process now and the sooner it all burns the better.

Deleted member 862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's doing the rounds, it's not so much a gotach as facts. We don't vote for the party, we vote the person and cry as people might there's absolutely no reason for any MP to give up the seat they were elected in.

So why does anyone even join a party if they're actually all just mercenaries? All the money and effort put in to get people on the ground to get someone elected on a manifesto should mean something.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
It's extremely annoying that selfish Labour cunts continue to hand more and more power to the Tories.

If they hadn't spent every fucking day since Corbyn was voted in trying to find a way to get rid of him, maybe (huge maybe to be honest) we'd be in a different place.

In a general election, with the Tories at their absolute weakest and most inept, and Labour riding the goodwill of the confusion of their Brexit policy, Labour still couldn't manage anything other than "closing the gap", but still we have a Tory government.

What's the solution really? Just keep holding general elections Labour will keep failing to win?

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales

Hilarious thing is if Chukka didn't bottle it he would have been leader.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017

In my area it feels like the opposite. People vote for the party regardless of how shite the MP is.

Edit: Sorry, misunderstood your point - you're correct that MPs as individuals earn their place through the system we have rather than the party itself.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London

I'm pretty fucked off with both wings to be honest, they can't win without the votes of each other, I just wish there was PR and the party could split and move on.

The right of the party is not going to accept anyone from the left of the party, it isn't a broad church if only one side thinks it can run it.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
So why does anyone even join a party if they're actually all just mercenaries? All the money and effort put in to get people on the ground to get someome elected on a manifesto should mean something.
Because they are just Mercenaries? Kate Hoey is the perfect example of everything that is wrong with the current system.

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
These Independent Group lot don't really have much of a base amongst the public so I'm sure Labour will be able to run rings around them on the ground.
I was thinking that too. Brexit will have happened before the next election comes around, the People's Vote campaign will be dead, what exciting polices will this shady-looking bunch of centrists have to make people interested, getting out going door to door, and voting for them? I don't get what they're trying to achieve, it seems like such a bad move to me that'll just hurt themselves and Labour.

Deleted member 862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because they are just Mercenaries? Kate Hoey is the perfect example of everything that is wrong with the current system.
Kate Hoey is on her way out. What we could do with then is open selection of MPs which is something people have been actively calling for. The practice of parachuting in people you like to safe seats (like Berger in Liverpool) causes too much tension when they then go on TV and radio and spend their days shit talking the party. If you don't want to be in a party then fine! Go back to the people and let them decide if you still represent them.

For a party (or "group") that seem to have one core issue right now of asking for a second vote they seem pretty shy about putting themselves in that position.

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017
I was thinking that too. Brexit will have happened before the next election comes around, the People's Vote campaign will be dead, what exciting polices will this shady-looking bunch of centrists have to make people interested, getting out going door to door, and voting for them? I don't get what they're trying to achieve, it seems like such a bad move to me that'll just hurt themselves and Labour.
People's Vote will become Rejoin the EU.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think people are getting ahead of themselves quite a bit. TIG is not yet an official party and, to do serious damage to Labour, they would have to stand hundreds of candidates in a forthcoming GE. Ultimately, before the next general election, the outcome of Brexit is going to completely alter the landscape anyway.

The polls that suggest they'd end up with 10% of the vote reflect a knee-jerk reaction: nobody really knows what they stand for. I guess it's basically New Labour 2.0, which probably could do quite well, but it's way too early to make predictions about what this is going to do given how hectic the immediate future is bound to be.

Personally the whole thing has been rather frustrating - I don't feel like Labour or the Conservatives represent me whatsoever. I do want something else, but this certainly isn't it.
It was all sarcasm man. I also am sort of pleaseda new party is being formed, but I can't support this party either. It's basically same old for me

Last edited:

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London

I read that the plan was to take over third spot in Westminster and try to use the position to influence the Brexit debate, but if it's one or two MPs quitting a day brexit will be over by then.

The not a party stuff has complicated that idea anyway.

lemonhat

Dec 6, 2018
In a general election, with the Tories at their absolute weakest and most inept, and Labour riding the goodwill of the confusion of their Brexit policy, Labour still couldn't manage anything other than "closing the gap", but still we have a Tory government.

What's the solution really? Just keep holding general elections Labour will keep failing to win?

If you're referring to the 2017 general election then the Tories were absolutely not at their weakest (most inept up to that point yeah, but they only got worse since). When calling the election they were polling miles ahead and a landslide looked guaranteed. Labour then went and achieved the biggest swing since 1945 (and over the shortest period of time basically ever). Their vote was surging big time in the last week or so as well. Who knows what could have happened if the election was a few days or the week after. The differences were tiny in many of the marginals (partly why this new grouping could be so damaging. Labour so very nearly got some major ministerial scalps last time).

Yeah, for a 'grouping' that claims to want a second referendum nothing they're doing seems to really be making that much more likely or helping to convince those who need convincing (have they explained their policy on brexit yet? What they think should be on the ballot?). We've only got a little over a month so quite what these people, most of whom nobody has ever hear of and who don't seem to stand for much other than hating Jeremy Corbyn and pretending to be appalled at racism in the Labour Party when it never much bothered them before Corbyn won the leadership, are trying to achieve other than throwing shit everywhere is beyond me. They want a new politics, but when asked what they imagine that being they just shrug. They just want to be front and centre in it. They're just so utterly pathetic.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Can't see the tweet he was replying too, but presumably it's from a constituent who wanted to vote for him but didnt like the direction of the Labour leadership at the time. Corbyn remained in the Labour party despite not being in lockstep with the leadership. Anyone voting for Jeremy Corbyn in 2010 knew exactly where he stood, both in terms of the party he represented and his personal beliefs. While the independent group MPs are under no obligation to resign and trigger by-elections, it's the right thing to do as their constituents voted for them believing they would remain members of the Labour party. I would say the exact same thing if it was Tories leaving their party. In fact, to his credit, Douglas Carswell did resign when he left the Conservatives and joined UKIP.