• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
As per the thread title, Microsoft's output has been quite atrocious these past years. They've spent billions buying up new studios and multiple years into the generation they are starting to reap what they sowed... and it's been bad. Gamepass is a fantastic service (I've been subbed to it since Day 1) but the first party output, what actually distinguishes a console's output, has been quite poor.

2020 was the Halo Infinite debacle
2021 again was soured by Halo Infinite being an underwhelming experience to most (I freaking loved the campaign though). Edit: Yes, 2021 had some great releases. Sorry i didn't add them here, honestly forgot about the year those games released!
2022 was a dry desert of nothingness.
2023 started with a bang.. HiFi Rush is seriously a GOTY contender. Then... crickets. Redfall is obviously being rushed to the market and for having the self-proclaimed "strongest console" it's a shame that the game, a FPS at that, runs at 30 frames. Like wtf? Other third parties have had subpar experiences, like RE4. I bought RE4 because of the Atmos sound and because initially it was the best looking/running version... but it had the deadzone issue. The PS5 IQ issues were fixed the SX IQ went downhill (albeit with better performance).

I fully understand that this is not a Microsoft problem and it was a Capcom one, but seemingly more third parties are coming out which run better on the PS5. I am actively waiting on Digital Foundry's Jedi Survivor coverage to determine where to buy the game because I want to have a good experience, and PC gaming has been having a myriad of issues with games so I have crossed it out of my "go-to" gaming environment until things calm down. It's a freaking shame though, on paper the SX is a superior console spec-wise and supports a lot of nice things like larger VRR windows, Atmos sound and Dolby Vision. I have a nice Atmos home theater system and a nice OLED screen... so I like getting the benefit of all these things.

The Series S has been a great little box for those who don't care about high-end experiences and I like it since it's a great entry point for the ecosystem. Still, I can't feel but be disappointed with Microsoft as a whole. Redfall's potential problems, and other previous first party experiences, have soured me on the ecosystem quite a bit. At this point I may just use it my Series X a Gamepass box, subscribing when something cool is out in there, and just buying all third parties on my PS5 while the PC world gets their shit together. This gives me flashback to the Xbox One days. I got an Xbox One after they dropped Kinect and I was so disappointed by it that I sold it. I bought a One X afterwards and felt "this is it, Microsoft is going back to the glory 360 days". With all the acquisitions and movements I was sure they'd nail the Series X days but more than two years in and it's just... oof. Mind you, I know games aren't created in the blink of an eye. It takes years to get them out but then I look at the apparent mess they are having with titles like Perfect Dark, Fable, Everwild (I was so hyped for this...) and others and it's just... what the fuck are you guys doing? I am hyped for Starfield as well but I don't trust Bethesda to release a game with no game breaking bugs and stable performance, and even though I was confident Microsoft wouldn't let them fuck it up, one look at Redfall and I basically lose all that confidence. Here's hoping Avowed and future Gears are not disappointments. And yes, I agree this thread may be an overreaction since we don't know what's going on with many of those games, but I can't just be the only one disappointed with the output Microsoft is having right now, right? Hell, even the Switch is more exciting and that's on its last legs. The PS5 is just steamrolling them when I expected a more even competition between these two platform holders.

That's it, that's the rant. I am frustrated with Microsoft basically, not because I am a fanboy but because I wanted new franchises and a stronger competition to Sony's amazing first party output.

Last edited:

Golding

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. you really are taking everything to heart huh?
Microsoft is actually doing pretty well. They have pumped out a number of critically acclaimed titles over the years.
Just wait until all those studios start producing.. it will be insane.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Microsofts output is disappointing - Microsoft "oh no"

Gamepass is a fantastic service (I've been subbed to it since Day 1) - Microsoft "anyway"

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've made do with Game Pass for the last few years. Ultimately it's been hard to complain as a multi system owner - Game Pass keeps me in third party games, and PS and Switch are for the occasional exclusive - but for Xbox only gamers, I get the frustration. That said, despite my disappointment with Xbox's AAA exclusive lineup... There has been more to play on Xbox than I think some would admit, though those games won't do much for people who only like to play AAA games.

My Xbox gets a lot more play than my Switch and PS5 (and I mean a LOT), though that's entirely thanks to Game Pass. Well, that, and the fact that I prefer the Xbox as a platform over the PS5, thanks to specific features and functionalities that are either absent or not as fleshed out on Playstation. That said, where AAA exclusives are concerned... the PS5 is where it's at, absolutely no argument, and that's something that Microsoft needs to address as soon as possible, before Sony well and truly eats their lunch. It's not very fun to hear 'it'll work itself out soon' year after year, even if it's absolutely going to be true eventually.

Last edited:

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Xbox Series feels like the same thing as Xbox One, which was disappointing. It's only a matter of time before they pop off though. They have too many studios not to.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
When Phil Spencer says that it will be the greatest year for Xbox, you should expect it to be the worst

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
It's been this way for two generations. I do think the back end of this generation will be much better though, and luckily Game Pass is a pretty good deal, even without a lot of major first party releases so far.

I can see the food cooking in the kitchen, just waiting for it to come to the table this generation. Last gen, I didn't even get a whiff that the stoves were really on.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
I think Bethesda output is going to be great this year, the acquisition going to pay off and buying ABK going to drastically improve that too on a yearly basis. The long devs times going to all come to fruition for some of MS own studios before Bethesda. Just takes time.

Also wrong about digital foundry stuff. Most games run better on Series X.

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
The fact you glossed over 2021 to try an make your point tells us all we need to know about the purpose of this thread lol

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't agree more. 2021 was a banger of a year with Halo Infinite's launch, Forza Horizon 5, Psychonauts 2 and their Game Pass additions. Beyond that their output has been extremely inconsistent. I am also finding Game Pass to be underwhelming these days.

PcPlasticFuzz

Nov 4, 2017
Xbox has been on a downward slope for a good while now. There were sprouts of hope when Phil took over but software wise nothing has materialized.

Forza looks same old same old so far. Hi Fi Rush however is absolutely amazing. There's just not enough first party products.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Starfield will finally be the first must-play game from them. Took them long enough.

OP
OP
Relix

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit I forgot 2021 yeah. I loved Psychonauts 2, it's in my top 3 games for that year… but it's not a must have that generates a lot of buzz for the system

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Microsofts output is probably going to kick ass once the studios they bought up start to put out projects that began under Microsoft, but that's who knows how long out given the dev time on some of those projects.

But they're still pumping out some bangers and unique titles now. They pushed out things like Pentiment and just cause the game isn't some huge technical showcase for their box doesn't make it any less of a game and I really honestly respect the fact that they allowed a project like that the time and passion it deserved rather than pushing it to the side for the big showcase titles. It's really cool. Their current output is a matter of perspective and if you view first party output as just big huge trillion selling graphical masterpieces then I could see it as being disappointing but from any other perspective not really.

It's not like Sony is doing too much at the moment either, honestly. Arguably even less.

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
Microsoft's pipeline is terrible, and their output shows that. I feel there is a fundamental issue with their studios, like leadership must be a mess or something. This issue isn't exclusive to a single studio either, look at the track record with having a release window for a game just to have the game delayed a year. What would have been the condition of the game if it released in the expected time? What if we got Halo on its original launch date? Or if Starfield actually released last year? Look at Redfall, it got delayed and even then, still doesn't release in a complete state.

There is something really wrong and they got to figure it out.

dessertadmirer

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 5, 2022
Feels like every year we hear the sentiment that "next years gonna be the one". Seems like games that were announced years ago still feel a ways off.
So far this year has promise, Hi-Fi Rush was great. Just need to be more consistent. really hope the Activision deal goes through and Diablo 4 is on gamepass in time

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
"Disappointing" is probably a fair assessement, though you've got some big holes in your account of their output this gen. I'm not saying they're some unstoppable giant, but there's been solid output (especially in 2021), and even some of the points of "failure" have turned around into solid experiences.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They didn't produce a single AAA game in 2022, which is probably why.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
I was satisfied with Halo Infinite, though the announcement it's dead in the water really soured the experience. Forza Horizon was awesome, and gamepass makes it my most used console. I'm perhaps no longer a "power gamer" and I have all consoles so I have little to fight about here, but my experience with Series S has been nothing but excellent, so I am not complaining.

However, I'm certainly aware that their output has been dissapointing in the past year. Xbox does not have a lot of flagships: it's always been Halo, Forza and Gears. Other than this we're waiting for these magic aqcuisitions to turn out into great games, and so far it doesn't look great. The only thing I'm looking forward to that comes to mind is Hellblade 2 and that's a year or two away from being released. They have indeed released (or rather published) a bunch of great games, but exclusives and franchises, very little. If that's what you're interested into, you might be out of luck.

I wanted new franchises and a stronger competition to Sony's amazing first party output.

Conversely, the only reason I am playing in a PS5 is because my friends play on it, because their output hasn't been particularly amazing for me. Returnal was great (though released on PC now) and Demon Souls is impressive but other than that there is little they have released that has been intriguing for me. If I'm being honest this generation has been slow and meh so far.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Yeah, it's been pretty dire for me. Outside of Flight Sim, they haven't really put out anything this gen that I have enjoyed much. FH5 was fine, but it didn't really move the series forward enough for me, 3 is still my go to. Hi-Fi Rush looks great, but I am not really into that style of Rhythm game so the gameplay loop wasn't it for me, but I can at least see it's a good game just not for me personally. Even Gamepass is whatever since I buy 99% of games anyway. I'm looking forward to Fable and Avowed, but not much else they have coming is even interesting to me. Starfield I'll check out but Bethesda hasn't made a game I like since FO3. I basically just turn my Series X on now to get my Gamepass Quest things done.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
It has been like this for a while outside of a few gems here and there. Like Forza Horizon being good isn't a surprise, it's the norm.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
to my experience, having a series s with gamepass has been extremely fun, so i'm pretty sure i made the best choice of console and service

Allice

Oct 9, 2018
Not every game has to be a over the shoulder extremely dramatic and cinematic third person shooter.

Games like Pentiment, Wasteland 3 are far better experiences than any designed by committee over the shoulder action game. See, that's how opinions work ?

Microsoft was the best publisher when it comes to variety in the previous generation and they still are the best publisher this generation when it comes to variety.

Their first party line up basically has a game from almost every genre imaginable, including real time strategy on console which is simply unheard of.

You may prefer one type of gameplay or experiences over the extremely varied ones Microsoft offers, but that doesn't make it better. It just means you personally prefer those type of experiences better.

I haven't had a console since PS2 and the last handheld i had was a 3ds. As far as I'm concerned Series S is a wonderful system and I'm glad i invested in it.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
It's one of the rare times I fully agree with what Gerstmann grouses about concerning MS. They just haven't had a big hit that hits. I enjoyed the Halo campaign for the most part, but even that didn't come close to the original trilogy's heights. There's been good games between then and now, but I wouldn't say anything on the level of a God of War or Spider-Man or Zelda or whatever.

Hi-Fi Rush was amazing. It's the first game this entire gen that I could not put down until it was finished. That's rare for me. I'm not even a rhythm game lover. And I've been subbed to Game Pass since day one too. I'm still waiting for the banger that makes buzz like one of the big games mentioned above. Starfield looks to be it. Redfall super fucking doesn't for more than one reason. They really do need to start coming out with genuine system sellers.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
Agree but I think Starfield will be huge, but even that will probably be better on PC with mods...

Oct 25, 2017
much better than the xbox one's wave of mediocre games. Pentiment alone beats it's entire line-up (almost). They are lacking in big stuff for people who care only about that, tho

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I 100% agree. Microsoft always fails at capitalizing on their momentum. Most of their main franchises have lost steam since last gen and they can't get them on track. They announced a bunch of games that are nowhere to be seen years later. They got good word of mouth from an unexpected game like Killer Instinct and 10 years later nothing came out of it. Series X is my main platform but it's 100% getting carried by gamepass and bc for me.

HiFi Rush was a nice surprise but it seemed to have been a surprise for them too lol. Let's hope they do something with that. Now their main focus is the Activsion/Blizzard acquisition and it's dragging on. It hope this ends soon one way or another. I'm just sick of hearing about it

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox has been the "next year for sure" console for like a decade. I still like my series x, but mostly for the BC

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
I've been trying to cut them some slack, but the recent news that Redfall would be launching at 30fps on console along with Ghostwire's performance controversy really kind of tipped me over the line into frustration with them. If they're going to be buying up all these developers I'm really expecting an extra bit of polish for their console releases. They might as just become a multiplat publisher and ditch the console business entirely if they're not willing to make sure Xbox users have great experiences with first=party titles. At this point they've got enough studios to fill out a first-party slate and need to focus on proving they can deliver a great experience to their customers before they go out and aquire more studios.

Status
Not open for further replies.