Status
Not open for further replies.

southwest

Sep 15, 2022
It's been pretty terrible for non hardcore gamers and fans. Starfield and some other Bethesda releases *should* sort some of that out if they're good.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe we just live in different worlds. This is what I've played from them this generation:

2020:
Minecraft Dungeons
Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Gears Tactics
Battletoads
Tell Me Why
Flight Sim
Wasteland 3

2021:
Psychonauts 2
Age of Empires 4
Forza Horizon 5
Halo Infinite

2022:
As Dusk Falls
Grounded
Pentiment

2023 so far:
Hi-Fi Rush
Ghostwire Tokio

Skipped all other ones I have not tried. Also all Day 1 releases on Game Pass. Several of these are GOTY worthy.

I'm in total agreement about your overall point, and the ongoing support for stuff like Flight Sim and Sea of Thieves makes those games ongoing showcases. I do wonder if the sheer variety of their output is part of why a given individual might think of it as especially thin. Like, most of this stuff happens to be tailored to what I enjoy, but for example if someone didn't like racing/sim/strategy rpg stuff, this list becomes a different beast.

(To be clear, ignoring high-quality titles in hobby discussions about publisher output because we aren't into a genre is silly, but I do think that's a factor.)

OP
OP
Relix

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
These threads come from Xbox fans who aren't feeling it. They look at whatever sales thread, see PS5 sales up 5 billion percent and Xbox down 18 percent and go "yup" makes sense. Like, it's great that you enjoy all those games. But literally none of them past Infinite are the types that move systems. Not one. They just aren't. And the sales prove it. I think Game Pass is amazing. I think the Series X is the best console. I've been a bigger Xbox fan than any other system since 360 days, One hiccups and all. But the system itself, and now, with many years to prove it, subscription models don't move people. Games do. To varying degrees, all the games you mention are very good to great. They ain't moving people. That sentiment doesn't have to be felt by people that don't own the system alone. I feel it too. They need more. They need better, imo. I think they know that too.
Thank you. This explains a bunch of my feelings better than I could write them myself really. Some amazing games that are not system sellers and the market is starting to punish them hard right now.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
I get it, but $300, my last gen games perform better and I can play current gen ones easily.

I like Halo, I like Forza.

Just not invested in the Xbox brand personally, but I honestly don't have more to ask of it.

Diablo IV, Street Fighter VI. So it's getting its use.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Subscription models don't move people. Games do.

And here i thought subscription models had games on them. I was misled all this time

Anyone wanting to gauge their own engagement on the ecossystem by console sales is 1) going to end up always disappointed, xbox is never going to sell more than playstation and 2) weird as fuck

DidactBRHU3

Oct 17, 2019
Fortaleza - Ceará
Being a fan of Xbox is like sitting around waiting a few years for your new car to be built. Once it's done it's gonna be great and you'll have some good memories.

But you're sitting out in the garage picking grass off your lawn while the neighbors are driving their Mario Karts or import cars up and down the road having a great time.
Funny that you use cars here since Xbox delivered this gen's greatest car game and just released an expansion for it less than a months ago.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Use my Series X as a BC machine and a handful of GamePass games. That is about it. None of the MS published games really excite me since I'm more of a fan of Japanese developers.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I'm counting it since everyone else did. Psyconauts, Halo and Deathloop also. So 4 GOTY contenders.
Let's be honest, including Deathloop give more ammo to the people who are saying Xbox has a content problem than it helps to prove that they don't. Counting Deathloop is the definition of semantics, it's at best a multiplatform title.

OP
OP
Relix

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
No need to be so defensive. You made a thread in which you called out Xbox for being disappointing this generation. Of the 2 full years of this generation you completely omitted one of them. A year in which Xbox was publisher of the year. That deserves being called out, as several folks have done.

If you don't care for this just ask for the thread to be closed.
And I went ahead and modified the OP to reflect my initial oversight. It was a genuine "whoops" and not trying to ignore a, frankly, good year. Your implication was that I was biasing the conversation one way because of what, I "Stan" another console maker? I couldn't give a shit, I just want to play great games and have competition between them which is healthy.

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
They're doing better than last Gen, that's for sure. That being said, it has been disappointing to me at least. People keep saying to give them time to let their acquisitions do their thing…and while I agree, man is it rough. I do believe good things are coming though

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah...I think it has been very weak in terms of big titles...I got gamepass on PC because I could get it cheap a couple of years ago...and they haven't released any of the games, bar Halo (which I found wanting), that I actually bought the thing for in the first place...

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
idk these threads always turn into "But they have had good output since 2020", followed by "yeah but it's not as appealing to me" or "those aren't system sellers" or "but that isn't a console exclusive".

which always just leads me back to the point I keep saying regarding MS' output and lineup: unless they churn out a series of 3rd person narrative action games that are consistently good (like 4-5 released in the span of a year at 85+ MC) many will not consider their output good enough. Because they want them to go toe-to-toe in genre and design with Sony's portfolio.

That's fine if those are games you care about, too. They are all generally very good games. But it negates or ignores what has been put out which all had generally been quite good.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
These threads come from Xbox fans who aren't feeling it. They look at whatever sales thread, see PS5 sales up 5 billion percent and Xbox down 18 percent and go "yup" makes sense. Like, it's great that you enjoy all those games. But literally none of them past Infinite are the types that move systems. Not one. They just aren't. And the sales prove it. I think Game Pass is amazing. I think the Series X is the best console. I've been a bigger Xbox fan than any other system since 360 days, One hiccups and all. But the system itself, and now, with many years to prove it, subscription models don't move people. Games do. To varying degrees, all the games you mention are very good to great. They ain't moving people. That sentiment doesn't have to be felt by people that don't own the system alone. I feel it too. They need more. They need better, imo. I think they know that too.

Agreed. We can argue all day and night about personal preference, but none of the stuff they have released have moved consoles, and that is why sales are down across the board. Gamepass is great, they have done a bunch of great PR stuff, is easily the most user friendly console, yet sales are down and ps5 is destroying it. One of those reasons is games, its just how it is. One of those last big games was Halo, and we all know how that went. PS3 was an overpriced pile of crap, yet once the great exclusives started coming, the sales picked up. Games sell consoles, and as someone who expected much more from them this generation, it feels like they have kind of just stumbled out of last gen not really learning from any of the mistakes, software wise. Everything else is great.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Let's be honest, including Deathloop give more ammo to the people who are saying Xbox has a content problem than it helps to prove that they don't. Counting Deathloop is the definition of semantics, it's at best a multiplatform title.
The subject of this thread is Microsoft publishing is disappointing this gen. MS is responsible for Deathloop. Why wouldn't you credit them regardless of where the game was playable?

Scrobbles

Oct 25, 2017
Pentiment was the best game of 2022 and better than anything that they put out last gen so
giphy.gif

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Not too bad output in a vacuum but less flashy than the competitor(s) which can be a problem.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
And here i thought subscription models had games on them. I was misled all this time

Anyone wanting to gauge their own engagement on the ecossystem by console sales is 1) going to end up always disappointed, xbox is never going to sell more than playstation and 2) weird as fuck
They do? I'll have to double check. I could have sworn they only make you pay a monthly fee to download thumbnails.

This type of reply is trying to make an argument that doesn't exist. I didn't say anything about beating PS. Sales are down for MS. I have never expected them to "beat" Sony. That's a goal beyond reach. I'm talking about making up ground lost. They are falling further and further behind as the quarters go on. Game Pass sales on console have stagnated. Smartass quips don't let you skate past facts.

southwest

Sep 15, 2022
Yeah this absolutely explains it far better than I could.

iamandy

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
It is, even is they had released some excelent games.

Microsoft have been aquiring studios since forever and we are yet to see the frutitious of it. There's clearly some managment issues there.

Jun 20, 2021
What annoys me is they're mediocre AFTER a bunch of delays. Halo Infinite and Redfall both shipped unfinished after several delays.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
idk these threads always turn into "But they have had good output since 2020", followed by "yeah but it's not as appealing to me" or "those aren't system sellers" or "but that isn't a console exclusive".

which always just leads me back to the point I keep saying regarding MS' output and lineup: unless they churn out a series of 3rd person narrative action games that are consistently good (like 4-5 released in the span of a year at 85+ MC) many will not consider their output good enough. Because they want them to go toe-to-toe in genre and design with Sony's portfolio.

That's fine if those are games you care about, too. They are all generally very good games. But it negates or ignores what has been put out which all had generally been quite good.
Spot on.

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Throw money at problems. Luckily, they have so much money, it will resolve itself.

They are coasting on good will of cheap Gamepass subs.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't even turned on my Series X on in three months. I'm pretty much PS5 exclusive at this point.

I mean, less than three months ago was Hi-Fi Rush and AoE2, this month is Minecraft Legends, and the start of next month is Redfall. As someone currently working on my PS4 backlog on the PS5, have there been more games published by Sony in that same window that I missed?

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
They're doing better than last Gen, that's for sure. That being said, it has been disappointing. People keep saying to give them time to let their acquisitions do their thing…and while I agree, man is it rough.
It's def been longer than it should have. I can also see how it can be frustrating for some who don't like the smaller stuff they've been outputting.

Me? I've finished pentiment, grounded, and hi fi rush between last october and now. Loved all 3 games dearly so I'm not disappointed like the OP is.

I think e3 this year will be crucial. Most games they've been talking about a lot for the past couple of years are coming our or have released. It's time for the quiet studios that they've purchased to start showing stuff.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
They do? I'll have to double check. I could have sworn they only make you pay a monthly fee to download thumbnails.

Given your pointless comparison, i actually believe you did. It's okay, now you know. Its games, not thumbnails.

I'm talking about making up ground lost. They are falling further and further behind as the quarters go on. Game Pass sales on console have stagnated.

if only microsoft had gamepass somewhere else
if only they were trying to think about other markets

hmmm cant think of anything. yup, their success is completely measured by console sales and console subs.

be happy you're at least getting smartass quips. your arguments are so weak you dont even deserve them

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The subject of this thread is Microsoft publishing is disappointing this gen. MS is responsible for Deathloop. Why wouldn't you credit them regardless of where the game was playable?
Where is that the subject of the thread? The word publishing/published is not mentioned in the OP, and every MS game OP talks about is a console exclusive. The thread is clearly centered around the idea of a lack of high quality exclusive games.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017

This is what I don't get, if you want MS to make more games like Playstation then why not just get a PS5.

Some of us like diversity.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Given your pointless comparison, i actually believe you did. It's okay, now you know. Its games, not thumbnails.

if only microsoft had gamepass somewhere else
if only they were trying to think about other markets

hmmm cant think of anything. yup, their success is completely measured by console sales and console subs.

be happy you're at least getting smartass quips. your arguments are so weak you dont even deserve them
Woof, that's it? You can stop now. This is embarrassing.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
This is so disingenuous it's hilarious. Like sticking your fingers in your ear and shouting la la la I can't hear you
What's the proper amount of time between purchase of a developer and the release of games that you can attribute those releases to the company actually paying the employees, paying for the marketing, and paying for the release? You know…publishing.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
The vast majority of the stuff they have released inthe last five years has been at least good with some great. As always its quantity and expectations where they hurt themselves.

southwest

Sep 15, 2022

But that's the crux of the thread, and thus the sales numbers. Microsoft simply aren't releasing enough games that cater to wide numbers yet. Gamepass doesn't make up for that either. Sure you can argue semantics that some people love those very good games, but not enough do and that leads to this problem.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I have to admit it's been really bad on the Xbox side of things even in this generation. The Xbox One generation was a write off, while Sony was firing on all cylinders throughout. This was a chance at a fresh start. It even started with a pretty huge let down for me in the controller - just honestly baffling how old and uninteresting their controller is. The PS5 controller feels like 2 generations ahead of the Xbox one. Gyro, advanced haptics, resistant triggers, speaker, etc. Like, stuff that actually makes the games exciting to control with. It's like the just conceded a pretty big differentiator to Sony without even trying. There are certain things like gyro that really affect gameplay, too. Like, why would I play Fortnite on Xbox when I can play with amazing gyro aiming on PS5?

The real meat of the issue by far, though, is one everyone is circling around: the software. They really badly need a hit. Not only am I playing big third party games on PS5 (better controller, great performance, etc.) but even the first party lineup has been leagues better on Sony's side, and it's only going to get bigger from here.

Xbox needs something "big" in my opinion. Something that will really turn some heads. It's definitely coming, though. They have so many irons in the fire, and one of them has to pop off eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.