• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
in english speaking countries the use of like as a word-joiner-thingy

Vocalized comma is what you're after.

And everyone has speaking patterns that will get on the nerves of someone else for all sorts of reasons. Especially those who give others a hard time about it.

Last edited:

Bashful Trey

Oct 27, 2017
Houston TX
Was that really meant like that? I hope not.

Haha, We should tweet them and tell them that we're trying to make a welcoming, warm community. I'm not surprised that they might have heard some bad press about our community. Gaming is so fractured, with a lot of JP game fans leaning right, I imagine they hear we are censorship personified!

Or maybe I'm totally misunderstanding and following my own narrative here. Who can tell!

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Haha, I'm always curious what reputation our community has outside of ResetEra, doesn't sound too hot according to 59 min, 40 sec. oh well, still love the show!

Someone said, "ResetEra, the home of our new thread, and then Sarah said "TAKE IT SOMEWHERE ELSE!"

For those who can't listen.

Don't feel bad, it probably just has everything to do with the fact that this site has two different forums called "Hangouts" with zero indication of which one you're currently in.

Once this unholy assault on web-design is fixed, Resetera's rep will undoubtedly skyrocket; rivaling that of The Onion, Wikipedia, and whatever this thing is.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Haha, We should tweet them and tell them that we're trying to make a welcoming, warm community. I'm not surprised that they might have heard some bad press about our community. Gaming is so fractured, with a lot of JP game fans leaning right, I imagine they hear we are censorship personified!

Or maybe I'm totally misunderstanding and following my own narrative here. Who can tell!

"JP game fans leaning right" Huh? What do you mean? How do you know? I would have thought the opposite. Seems odd.

Bashful Trey

Oct 27, 2017
Houston TX
"JP game fans leaning right" Huh? What do you mean? How do you know? I would have thought the opposite. Seems odd.

I'm not meaning to make generalizations or offend anybody. That's just the read I got since most of the anime communities I see on Twitter & stuff get really lit up about localization and what they view as censorship. The most prominent time I saw that was during peak GameGate, but I still see the attitude floating around.

It could just be a case of a vocal minority. The reality I've constructed is viewed through my own subjectivity! Who knows, I could have put the pieces together wrong.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
tumblr_me4idwCX921qbxntw.gif

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Sarah was (rightly) dragging us for bragging about our involvement in getting the site running but then also complaining abt not all of our input getting factored in.

Bashful Trey

Oct 27, 2017
Houston TX
Sarah was (rightly) dragging us for bragging about our involvement in getting the site running but then also complaining abt not all of our input getting factored in.

That makes sense. Thanks for the insight! Wasn't trying to derail conversation, I was just making a passing observation and felt like I had said something wrong.

Just roaming the internet, making friends.

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
I only started listening last spring, but it's my favorite gaming podcast. Not crazy about the TV talk, but I can skip that if I need to. You guys keep doing what you want. As long as you promise to always do the E3 HYPE TRAIN!

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Come on ride the train
Yeah ride it
Choo Choo

Personally I prefer the tgs shinkansen. It's more friendly

OP
OP
Planet_JASE

Planet_JASE

Oct 26, 2017
8-4 Play 12/15/2017: SUNSET RIDERS

1iaikR4.png

Monster Hunter World, Zelda: The Champions' Ballad, Earth Defense Force 5, Shenmue walking tour, The Game Awards, and more!

Running Time: 1:32:34

Direct Download (61.7 MB)
Subscribe to 8-4 Play via iTunes
Subscribe to 8-4 Play via RSS Feed
Follow 8-4 Play on Twitter (twitter.com/84play)
Follow 8-4 on Facebook (facebook.com/hachinoyon)

Time – Topic Discussed:
1:22 – A Christmas Prince
15:58 – Monster Hunter World
33:30 – Zelda: The Champions' Ballad
47:50 – Earth Defense Force 5
55:10 – Video Game Awards
1:32:50 – News: Mega Man 11, Street Fighter 5 Season 3, Street Fighter Collection
1:38:47 – Closing Comments​

And now…a list of music used in our previous episode!

8-4 Play 12/1/2017: MEDIEVAL CRIMES
Intro: Kazumi Totaka – Animal Crossing Pocket Camp Theme
Break: Falcom Sound Team – Evildoer (Xanadu Next)
Ending: Ink Theory – Broken Coral (Splatoon 2)

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
Good episode, y'all. EDF5 sounds really fun. I hope it comes to PC like 4.1 did eventually.
That Shenmue tour sounds really cool for fans of the game.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
1:22 – A Christmas Prince

This is what I'm here for. Disappointed that it's not a 90 minute discussion of A Christmas Prince.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Damn just started the ep and saw here that she's leaving. Sad, love her stories. Oh well, at least we're Twitter friends.

arglebargle

Oct 26, 2017
Enjoyed the discussion of graham's trip to Dobuita/Yokosuka. I was in Tokyo for work about a year ago at the same time a friend was in Japan on vacation. We met up there and took a day trip down to Yokosuka, dragging his good sport of a girlfriend (now wife) with us. There weren't any maps highlighting the places used in the game, but the whole area is very reminiscent of the game. Several times we stood in a spot and speculated about whether we were by Ryo's house, or one of the shops, or something else. Good times and good to hear the city is embracing Shenmue tourism. I'd love to get my hands on one of those maps.

I also visited Aberdeen on a trip to Hong Kong a few years ago when I had an afternoon to kill while my wife went to some business meetings. That also looks quite a bit like its representation in the game but is actually a pretty depressing area. Cool to see the boats in the harbor, which was definitely the spot that looked closest to its in game analogue. On that trip I stayed in Kowloon, but the walled city doesn't exist anymore.

One day I will make it to Guilin!

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't she just get her visa renewed and was hoping they would give her a longer lasting one? What the heck!

timelyhoward

Nov 15, 2017
Enjoyed the discussion of graham's trip to Dobuita/Yokosuka. I was in Tokyo for work about a year ago at the same time a friend was in Japan on vacation. We met up there and took a day trip down to Yokosuka, dragging his good sport of a girlfriend (now wife) with us. There weren't any maps highlighting the places used in the game, but the whole area is very reminiscent of the game. Several times we stood in a spot and speculated about whether we were by Ryo's house, or one of the shops, or something else. Good times and good to hear the city is embracing Shenmue tourism. I'd love to get my hands on one of those maps.

I also visited Aberdeen on a trip to Hong Kong a few years ago when I had an afternoon to kill while my wife went to some business meetings. That also looks quite a bit like its representation in the game but is actually a pretty depressing area. Cool to see the boats in the harbor, which was definitely the spot that looked closest to its in game analogue. On that trip I stayed in Kowloon, but the walled city doesn't exist anymore.

One day I will make it to Guilin!
It looks like the English version still isn't ready yet, but you can check out a PDF of the Japanese pamphlet here. I love that they're embracing the whole Shenmue thing as well, but not nearly as much as I love how the entire situation smacks of "nerdy public servant just climbed high enough up the municipal ladder that people have no choice but to listen to him now."

Kowloon was actually my top priority when I visited Hong Kong! Sure the walled city is gone, but the park itself is quite lovely and I had a wonderful time wandering around it imagining what the city must have been like. Amazing to think that something so incredible disappeared from the world during my lifetime.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
She gets outed as second-in-command Animal Crossing fan on the show, leaves the following week. I see what's happening here.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Goddammit, what a bummer of a way to end the podcast. Sarah was fantastic on the show. :(

And yes, whoever it is (John or otherwise) who's bad with the filler words (mainly "like"), please work on that.

Oct 27, 2017
Uh, Sarah's leaving? Outta nowhere! Didn't she start working for 8-4 properly less than a year ago? And her boyfriend moved to Japan a few months ago? I still have like 45 minutes of the podcast that I'm not going to listen to until tomorrow. Did she say where she's heading to?

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, that's a bummer. Sarah is great.

Is this not a Mark situation where she could still be on the pod?

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Damn good luck to Sarah!

I imagine she much have gotten another gig in Japan given all of the moving/boyfriend moving recently? (Haven't listened yet)

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the episode. Was super ecstatic to find out JJ was hosting not only this episode, but the next one as well... But then I got the rug pulled out from under me when I heard Sarah was leaving. :(

I'm really bummed to hear that since Sarah brought a refreshing take on almost everything she spoke about and was genuinely funny to boot. And she definitely got bonus points from me for being one of the few people who'd call Mark out for his bullshit lol. Anyway, I wish you all the best Sarah. You will be missed.

I'd also like to take this the time to say that this is easily my favorite cast 8-4 has had yet. You all gel together extremely well and honestly feel like friends just shooting the shit. It's a pleasure to listen to you all (bi)weekly and I'm going to be super bummed if anyone else leaves.

Ace

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Damn good luck to Sarah!

I imagine she much have gotten another gig in Japan given all of the moving/boyfriend moving recently? (Haven't listened yet)

They mentioned her moving back to the Homeland which means the US and that doesn't make any sense to me at all.

She studied there, went back to work at 8-4 and then all of a sudden moves back to the US?

Very sad to hear that, she was great on the show.

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't finished the episode yet but I'm super bummed to hear Sarah is leaving. She's so funny and I always appreciate how much she stands up for herself and her opinions about games. 8-4 is my favorite gaming podcast, so any shake up to the crew is always a bit sad.

Sarah, if you read this, make a podcast when you move back to America!