• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
On the one hand, innocent minimum wage employees were hurt and terrorized. On the other hand, a corporation lost money so really who can say if this was bad or good? /s

Apr 25, 2020
Blackwater will be licking their lips when the emaciated skeletons of retailers like Walmart come crawling looking for a more intimidating security force to fight back against this.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
Only a moron would cheer this on. They're not fighting the system, they're not using the proceeds to give to the poor. They're regular thieves. They're terrorizing and attacking workers. Just scum.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
when social norms are turned upside down like this it will only lead to more chaos

The outcomes to deter these things are never fun. Recently within 2 weeks, 2 innocent people commuting on the highway were shot and killed. The answer (of course isn't gun related) is to add MORE cameras on the highway. Prob won't deter anything, but more eyes around is the answer here.

More theft will prob mean more security/cops. Just went to a new Japanese grocery that opened and I guess they hired a security guard out front. Sucks to see this, but some of these crime stats have some business owners worried and willing to hire private security. Could lead to even more profiling, with all these worries/tensions, and just... overall not good.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting a lot more of these closer to Christmas. Absolutely ridiculous that this is even happening.

Back in the day when I was working at Babbages, some kid stole a brand new PS2 and I gave chase until he got in to his get away car. Thinking back, that was really stupid.

When I worked retail, they pretty much told me to let loss prevention handle it and never attempt to stop theft. No reason to put yourself in danger like that.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
This happened again Sunday night apparently.

sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com

UPDATE: Smash-and-Grab Thieves Target Hayward Mall; Lululemon Store Robbed in San Jose's Santana Row

Looters targeting Bay Area businesses struck again Sunday evening, with smash-and-grab thieves hitting the Southland Mall in Hayward and suspects taking merchandise from a Lululemon store in San Jose.

I linked the Hayward one last page, but didn't even see the Santana Row thing. Yeah, they are really picking and chosing specific hits all over. I wonder if it's the same group doing it.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
bruh are you for real? when social norms are turned upside down like this it will only lead to more chaos, do you want us to fast track to the apocalypse?
we are fast tracked to to apocalypse, and guess what? on the list of blame for this, the looters would be last on a long list of like a billion things.

Eric_S

Nov 29, 2017
The outcomes to deter these things are never fun. Recently within 2 weeks, 2 innocent people commuting on the highway were shot and killed. The answer (of course isn't gun related) is to add MORE cameras on the highway. Prob won't deter anything, but more eyes around is the answer here.

More theft will prob mean more security/cops. Just went to a new Japanese grocery that opened and I guess they hired a security guard out front. Sucks to see this, but some of these crime stats have some business owners worried and willing to hire private security. Could lead to even more profiling, with all these worries/tensions, and just... overall not good.

Indeed. And it does absolutely nothing to solve any root cause issues that enabled this in the first place. Unfortunately, any changes to address the root causes will probably take a decade or so before you start seeing clear effects. Kids needs to grow up under them and so on.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe people are cheering this on. These kind of people wouldn't hesitate to ransack people's homes either.

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
With that many robbers there's no chance they all get away with it, at least a few will be identified for sure.

They used violence, their only motive is the theft itself and whatever money they can make out of it. You shouldn't be cheering them on, because they would terrorise you in that exact same situation if you were there just like what they did to the staff and people there.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

akilshohen

Dec 8, 2017
The Cabrini Green projects have been gone for more than a decade. These flash mob heists are happening all over the Chicagoland area including posh suburbs like Northbrook and Oakbrook. It's not about proximity to "projects".
I thought the robberies were going on as recent as a few years ago. I know they tore them down a long time ago, but people still linger around there. I was waiting for an uber on Division near the Dave and Busters in River North and just slid in a 7-11 because it was too much activity on the corner.

I did see someone on my TL talking about one that just happened in the burbs a few days ago.

Oct 26, 2017
It's almost impressive. How the fuck do you get 80 people to all coordinate for these things? You can hardly get 2-3 people to agree on where to eat lunch.

I was going to say the Dark Web, but I would laugh if we end up finding out it was coordinated through a Facebook group. With that many people from the same local area, I would imagine the communication method can't be too complicated.

But yeah jeers to the people cheering on the looters and terrorizing minimum wage employees. Also if you steal an iPhone from a retail store, you're not hurting Apple. You're just hurting the local branch who usually have to eat the losses and worst case that local store will shutdown / relocate if they continue to have significant losses. But the fat cat mustache twirling CEOs and stockholders wont lose a wink of sleep over this and won't feel it in their bank account whatsoever. So no need to cheer these criminals on. They're just terrorizing low-hanging fruit. So heroic.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
I hate the obsession with money and big corporations as much as the next person, but treating this as a good thing outside of the employees being assaulted is fucking weird and honestly pretty naive.

Yeah, Nordstrom as a corporate entity is not going to be hurt by this, but the local employees may be. It's also not like the people doing this are doing it for anything beyond their own personal greed and I'm sure as hell not going to celebrate that.

Oct 30, 2017
As someone who was once robbed at a gas station many years ago: Fuck these robbers and anyone who supports them and belittles these acts.

The criminals do not primarily harm the companies, but the employees. Physically and mentally.

They deserve to rot in jail for a long time. And I will not shed a tear if they are shot by police or security personnel.

Last edited:

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure it'll be Nordstorm's fault when they close their stores and leave the area though.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Corporations won't be hurt by this. They are likely insured. What will be hurt is low level employees.

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com

UPDATE: Police Warn of More Mass Robbery Attempts After Looters Ransack Walnut Creek Nordstrom

Dozens of looters swarmed into the Nordstrom store in downtown Walnut Creek Saturday night, terrorizing shoppers, assaulting employees, ripping off bag loads of merchandise and ransacking shelves before fleeing in a several vehicles waiting for them on the street.

Sounds like some sort of Black Friday nightmare.
sales-black-friday.gif
]

Loot thread if old.

I'm just waking up so I foolishly assumed this old Black Friday gif was the actual heist. I felt silly, did a search and discovered it is even more WTF than I could possibly imagine:

Culex

Oct 29, 2017
Police have caught quite a few of them so hopefully, if this was organized, people rat on the others.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
If you celebrate this, you're a ghoul. Retail workers were attacked.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
I'm honestly shocked 80 people can organize like this. They either used a facebook thing or are a fucking church group. Like how do that many people get together and go, "yeah, let's do crimes". Also, you know the more there are the quicker they'll turn on each other. All it would take is one to get caught before giving up the facebook group or magic the gathering tournament they come from.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
As someone who was once robbed at a gas station many years ago: Fuck these robbers and anyone who supports them and belittles these acts.

The criminals do not primarily harm the companies, but the employees. Physically and mentally.

They deserve to rot in jail for a long time. And I will not shed a tear if they are shot by police or security personnel.

Thanks for the post, Charles Bronson. lol. These always tickle me.

I remember when driving into the mall window for a literal smash and grab was big in Florida. Kinda funny how we've got a police state survailence wise for so many things but figure at least half of em and planned this weeks in advance on some social media platform and considering how sloppy this was done, probably in public posts.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Back in the day when I was working at Babbages, some kid stole a brand new PS2 and I gave chase until he got in to his get away car. Thinking back, that was really stupid.

lol I used to work at a college bookstore that would get hit from people stealing the expensive books. I would often try to follow them out of the store. I heard in future trainings people were told to not be like me haha.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to say the Dark Web, but I would laugh if we end up finding out it was coordinated through a Facebook group. With that many people from the same local area, I would imagine the communication method can't be too complicated.

When groups use to crash the gates at Lolla, I heard it was a 4 chan board. They look more like a group of younger adults, so I wouldn't be surprised if its discord or something.

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
I'm laughing at people shrugging this off and then being shocked when minorities vote in law and order candidates....

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

Yes, it was very stupid. I remember back in the late 90's a local shoe store employee went chasing after some thieves and they killed him. Your life is never worth some company property.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This thought sounds intense. Do nordstroms things sell for that much on the market? I didn't realize people actually liked their stuff like that. Always figured if you had money, you would shop somewhere else.
There's a market for places like Nordstrom's. You've got people who have money, and are too busy/complacent to shop around at boutiques. You've got people who want to appear to have money, and Nordstrom's is low-end bougie that they can occasionally afford.

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I mean, when it's easier to gather 80 people, plan and execute a heist/robbery than making that money through conventional means, there is something fundamentally wrong with the system itself.