• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
Stuff like this happens on a smaller scale all the time in my city. Even worse they target peoples homes and dems wonder why people want more police lol

Bobby Peru

Banned
Jun 10, 2020
User Banned (1 Week): Conspiracy Theorizing
I'm in the "have a hard time believing 80 people could organize that well without someone blabbing to cops" camp. Definitely has false flag op vibes for playing to wealthy suburbanites' fears in prep for next year's elections.

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone thinks that shit like this will won't get Democrats hammered in 2022/2024, you are delusional. Republicans are going to parade this to suburban voters and show as an example what happens when Democrats hold the state and don't prosecute lower level crimes. You can see an example on what happened in VA a bit with education and crime (and admittedly terrible campaign for Dems).

And this isn't going to play only for white audiences either.
GOP have consistently made up boogie men to scare white voters. Actually having a real event is a moot point, they were doing it anyway.

They definitely shouldn't have assaulted people.

I am way more sketched about protesting after this week's news, than i am of shopping at Nordstroms, if we are talking about clutching pearls over "law and order"

This isnt a policing or carceral problem, its we are living at the largest wealth gap in human history problem and also see the government (especially Wisconsin with its super conservative courts) who cares nothing for the lives of the poor and workers.

Until we start caring for everyone this shit is just going to get worse.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone supporting this is a dumbass, and you do your community and PoC no favors. Shit like this is what gets the GOP elected. Shit like this is what gets you "Law and Order" type politicians elected and public support for well funded, harsh policing tactics we all hate. And we all know those harsh policing tactics will be aimed at PoC and the poor.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I'm in the "have a hard time believing 80 people could organize that well without someone blabbing to cops" camp. Definitely has false flag op vibes for playing to wealthy suburbanites' fears in prep for next year's elections.

You have a hard time believing that 80 people could organize to run into the same store and take what they can get and an easier time believing that a group of cops formed a conspiracy with those 80 people to make them rob stores so that Republicans win the next election?

This is a direct equivalent to the batshit false flag conspiracy theories you keep reading about from weird trump cultists.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
GOP have consistently made up boogie men to scare white voters. Actually having a real event is a moot point, they were doing it anyway.

I am way more sketched about protesting after this week's news, than i am of shopping at Nordstroms, if we are talking about clutching pearls over "law and order"

This isnt a policing or carceral problem, its we are living at the largest wealth gap in human history problem and also see the government (especially Wisconsin with its super conservative courts) who cares nothing for the lives of the poor and workers.

You are missing the point. Its not just the white voters. And having actual events as "proof" and just showing general state of unrest in CA is going to be all over variety of Republican campaigns.

Outlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Seeing people steal shit in real life is so weird. There was a time when someone grabbed a whole bunch of clothes at jc penny's and booked it out the door. One lady screamed, but the rest of us just were confused about what happened. The alarms went off but no security guards or anyone went after the lady. It wasnt nearly as dramatic as I thought it'd be.

This thought sounds intense. Do nordstroms things sell for that much on the market? I didn't realize people actually liked their stuff like that. Always figured if you had money, you would shop somewhere else.
Yeah bro Nordstrom has small sections of high end shit like Gucci and Louis Vuitton.

ADS

Oct 27, 2017

Right. Shouldn't you be down in Dallas for JFK Jr's return?

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017

People respond more viscerally to real events than they do to hypothesized ones. Huh?

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
It seems like a lot of this has been very brazen lately. Like the incidents of DGAF smash and grab robbing at everywhere from CVS to LV have been piling up in the last year or so.

I'm not saying this is the beginning of breakdown of societal norms, but I'm not saying it's not either.

I agree with whoever said this is going to be bad when either the corps hire PMC types to defend their product or when they move their stores out and only local stores are left for targeting.

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I mean, when it's easier to gather 80 people, plan and execute a heist/robbery than making that money through conventional means, there is something fundamentally wrong with the system itself.

"Show up at X at Y, block the road with your car, bring a skimask, we're cleaning the place out" is probably all the planning it took to perform this smash and grab. It don't take any special skills or planning to execute a bunch of folk showing up at a place, rush in, grab what they can, and run away.

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
"Show up at X at Y, block the road with your car, bring a skimask, we're cleaning the place out" is probably all the planning it took to perform this smash and grab. It don't take any special skills or planning to execute a bunch of folk showing up at a place, rush in, grab what they can, and run away.
Sure, but no one would feel motivated even for that if money wasn't a struggle.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Shit like this doesn't just hurt the corporation. It hurts the community cause businesses large and small will eventually be hesitant to set up shop if this becomes the norm.

Sad and gross to see this shit going down and eventually someone's gonna get crushed/killed.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Crazy story. It's hard to organize a group this big to do anything, much less raid a bougie retail space with coordinated disguises and getaway cars. The violence is obviously deplorable, and people shouldn't be cheering this on just because the stores are owned by wealthy corporations.

It's scary to me not because I feel personally vulnerable but because there were apparently dozens of people who agreed that this was a good idea in the first place. That's a lot of disillusioned people who apparently don't believe building a good life for themselves is viable through normal means. That's very bad for us as a society, and it can't really be fixed by just spending more money on policing and putting more people in jail. Increasing wealth inequality may actually be turning us (very slowly) into a nation of feudal lords, serfs, and bandits.

Bobby Peru

Banned
Jun 10, 2020

I have a hard time believing that 80 completely random people would be competent enough to pull this off correctly and in unison. Why would someone who knows what they're doing, go to a flash rob with people they don't really know, for a take that might not even be worth the trouble?

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have a hard time believing that 80 completely random people would be competent enough to pull this off correctly and in unison. Why would someone who knows what they're doing, go to a flash rob with people they don't really know, for a take that might not even be worth the trouble?

For all we know, the group chat could have been for much more than 80 people and that just happened to be the final number that showed up.

I don't think it is too hard to believe tbh. I totally get not taking everything for face value, I question enough things myself all the time, but this doesn't feel like anything close to a conspiracy.

Last edited:

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

If it's organized crime, most of these cases trace back to leaders, like a lot of those pharmacy break ins traced back to a few people who were storing the stuff at a warehouse, and then selling it off to like flea market vendors and stuff. In the case of the wide laptop left, same thing - a bunch of laptops were getting stolen out of cars, and then they were found out (among a bunch of other tech) to be loaded up into a shipping crate to be shipped overseas, because they found the heads of the operation.

'Organized crime' is just that - leaders that benefit off the works of people that don't mind doing the stealing. It's not normally a bunch of randos that just collaborate. There's a chance it could be, but I'd lean to more news in the future of finding out that like, 5 people were the heads of the whole string of recent robberies and they have like a storage locker full of all the stolen goods.

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
For all we know, the group chat could have been for much more than 80 people and that just happened to be the final number that showed up.

I don't think it is too hard to believe tbh.

Bingo, plus anonymity means if Jimmy gets nabbed he can't turn on anyone else involved, unlike an organized heist. Also they're picking high value targets like Nordstroms rather than something like Walmart, don't need to grab as much (or larger items) to make the thief worthwhile to the thieves.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
What's the organized crime situation like in the bay area? Everything I read about seems like some big entity is taking advantage of the "no prosecution" laws in the area.

I know the rightwingers are good, but they ain't that good, man.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, when it's easier to gather 80 people, plan and execute a heist/robbery than making that money through conventional means, there is something fundamentally wrong with the system itself.

Is it actually easier, though?

More than that, I think some of the wealth gap comments would be more accurate if people were stealing necessities. That they are not implies other forces at work - maybe in addition to a wealth gap, but not only because of one.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Anyone supporting this is a dumbass, and you do your community and PoC no favors. Shit like this is what gets the GOP elected. Shit like this is what gets you "Law and Order" type politicians elected and public support for well funded, harsh policing tactics we all hate. And we all know those harsh policing tactics will be aimed at PoC and the poor.

Ironically getting those kinds of people elected is what leads to this.

No education
No equity
No hope
Massive inequality

you have a recipe for unrest right there.

More than that, I think some of the wealth gap comments would be more accurate if people were stealing necessities. That they are not implies other forces at work - maybe in addition to a wealth gap, but not only because of one.

Fuck aspirational luxury brands, they exist entirely to be rubbed in the face of an ever increasing mass of institutionally mandated have-nots. Why WOULDN'T people steal them?

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Thats a weird thing to say. Of course it's easier to just steal something than work for it. That's why people do it.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is it actually easier, though?

things that are expensive can be sold for more money

May 14, 2021
Cool conspiracy theory. You find it hard to believe 80 people could organize a robbery but have no issue believing 80 could fake a robbery to secure an election without anyone talking about said conspiracy?

yellowfury

Oct 27, 2017
This Nordstrom is cursed. I remember this location being one where someone jumped from the cafe to kill themself like a decade or so ago. Somewhat surprised more upscale shops in Walnut Creek weren't hit but I guess it may be because this Nordstrom doesn't have armed security like other stores.

Presice

Mar 1, 2018
Hope these idiots get caught and suffer serious consequences. There's no place in society for this.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Some people here (OK, one person) cheering them on because "corporation is bad, deserves it!" ...but these groups have also been hitting small businesses too.

Deleted member 4461

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck aspirational luxury brands, they exist entirely to be rubbed in the face of an ever increasing mass of institutionally mandated have-nots. Why WOULDN'T people steal them?

While I don't necessarily agree with you, this is close to what I was trying to say - that is, there's aspiration behind them.

things that are expensive can be sold for more money

People sell expensive things for money.

Is this actually what's happening, though?

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
One time a guy came into Linens 'n Things when I was working the register and filled up a basket with electric toothbrushes. He walked up to the door that only opens to go in and I was like "that's the wrong way" and then he pushed it open and I went "hey, you can't do that!" and I chased after him. Honestly, I was just super pissed he was running out the door with like 2 months of my salary worth of fucking toothbrushes. He got into a car that was waiting and was gone.

In retrospect it was dumb, but I was pissed that I was making like, 8 bucks an hour and this dude just got all that shit for free.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I was just super pissed he was running out the door with like 2 months of my salary worth of fucking toothbrushes. He got into a car that was waiting and was gone.
Not sure if you meant it, but this reads fucking hilarious.

I'm glad you weren't harmed in the process though. A lot of people are crazy out there and working retail really puts you in harm's way a lot.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While I don't necessarily agree with you, this is close to what I was trying to say - that is, there's aspiration behind them.

Is this actually what's happening, though?
idk???
?????? its a simple fact that if you steal something expensive, it can be flipped for lots of money, regardless of what their socioeconomic status is lmfao

Deleted member 4461

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
idk???
?????? its a simple fact that if you steal something expensive, it can be flipped for lots of money, regardless of what their socioeconomic status is lmfao

I think you got a little lost. Just because something can be stolen and flipped for money doesn't mean that's what is happening.

And if we can't say that these things are definitely being flipped, you can't explain it only as the "have-nots" doing this to provide for themselves because of the wealth gap (by itself).

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if you meant it, but this reads fucking hilarious.

I'm glad you weren't harmed in the process though. A lot of people are crazy out there and working retail really puts you in harm's way a lot.
No in retrospect it was hilarious. I was 17 and my manager yelled at me for doing it and I was like "but that guy just stole more money than I make in a month".

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think you got a little lost. Just because something can be stolen and flipped for money doesn't mean that's what is happening.

And if we can't say that these things are definitely being flipped, you can't explain it only as the "have-nots" doing this to provide for themselves because of the wealth gap (by itself).
???? i didnt make a value judgment either way. i said they could sell the stuff for lots of money if they wanted to. but they could also steal it to wear it. they could wear half and sell the other. who fuckin knows. im not trying to psychoanalyze thieves here

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
why hurt the employees and customers...just take your shit and leave.

Right? Who gives a shit about what they steal, but leave the employees and customers out of it ffs.

Like if someone steals $10,000 of purses and jewelry I'd lmao and move out of the way and tell the cops I saw nothing, but if that same person punched a person stealing nearby, I'm okay with assault charges and jail.

daschysta

Mar 24, 2019
It's not a matter of being broke it's feeling doing this is less of an effort than making a similar amount of money through their regular jobs.
I mean it's pretty much a given that strealing luxury items is more lucrative than a comparable amount of time spent working even at a good wage. Just because It's easier and more profitable to steal things I don't own than working in no way justifies it The delusion that only white people care about this kind of stuff is mind boggling too. If we can't even bring ourselves to condemn mass,premeditated and calculated robbery unconditionally then not only will we lose power for the forseeable future we'll own the overcorrection law and order fucking republicans implement. These people aren't the blameless victims of a an unequal society, though it is unequal and becoming moreso. Keep cheering this type of behavior on and we'll start losing in cities as well.

Fuck capitalism indeed, but if people see this as the alternative we're going to get a far more fucked up iteration of it.