Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Comic Book Guy's Guide to the Oscars

We need to have a comic book movie nominated for Best Picture. This is a clear bias.

*film is nominated*

...well yeah, but not that one.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have a link to the live stream? I accidently closed the tab and now it's just playing a recording of it but not the live thing.

[edit]

Wait, it's already over? Why was it "live" for me before? The fuck.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
The last PS2 battle scene in BP should have disqualified it from Best Picture, but really, that whole list is weak.

Glad Roma made it in, at least

TheTyrant

Nov 27, 2018
It's not because worse films get nominated that Black Panther (an important movie, but in artistically a mediocre one) deserves one. Especially when much better films like First Man, If Beale Street Could Talk and First Reformed are robbed
I don't even care if you think it deserves a nom. Every year I feel that several films don't. It's the chaos that ensues every time BP is even mentioned in awards talk. Especially when freaking Green Book is one of our BEST PICTURE FRONTRUNNERS together with Roma. It's laughable honestly.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Literally nothing for Eighth Grade. You shitting me, Academy?

Vault Boy

Nov 2, 2017
All the complaining about the BP noms being "the worst ever" is pretty silly and shortsighted. This same discussion happens every single year. There are almost always one or two terrible movies in there, even back when the slate was limited to 5 movies. Let's not kid ourselves by pining for the glory days, you know, back when movies like Seabiscuit and Chocolat were BP nominees.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
So the Oscars snubbed good movies to pander to the comic book crowd and Disney? Gross.

Black Panther -- really no Marvel popcorn movie -- is deserving of a Best Picture nod.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Average Resetera member opinion of movie films keep being bad. News at 11.

Only Broly deserves an Oscar this year.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Just realised MI: Fallout didn't get any technical nominations. Insane. Editing and sound work were excellent. Bohemian Rhapsody couldn't even get the lip sync right half the time lmao

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
umm no, especially when Spiderverse and Infinity War came out this year.
Is this the part where we say a black man feeling resentful towards the racist white western society and alienated from his african roots is a less relatable villain than a purple guy who wants to kill half of the universe for no reason

Let's not even compare these movies. One tries to be something, the other is good fanservice. Also, it's not like BP is winning best picture anyway

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't feel right that Coogler's first Best Picture nomination is for his third-best film, but it's not as if the Academy can retroactively nominate Fruitvale Station.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
Really hoping Spike Lee gets best director. Last time the dude was nominated was back in 1990 for Do the Right Thing (Best Original Screenplay); Do the Right Thing didn't even get a best picture nomination back then, with Driving Miss Fucking Daisy winning it all.

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
That Leading Actress nomination list is going to be a goddamn bloodbath.

My money's on Olivia Coleman, but still - it could really go to any of them.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
How can Bohemian Rhapsody get the nod for Best Film and Rami Malek get snubbed for best actor. The whole film was him centre screen and he was brilliant. Or has there been a mistake in the OP?

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, only 8 slots were filled so the robbed argument doesn't really apply this year.
That makes it even worse, lol. Why nom BP and BH while skipping much better films, and leaving 2 places open? And even if everything was filled, there was a way better superhero movie this year: Spider-verse. Would deserve a best pic nom waaaay more

At least Cold War got a unexpected, but well deserved nods outside of foreign language

Last edited:

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Just saw "Shoplifters" last night. Great film. Go Shoplifters!

always feel weird rooting for any movie considering I see like 4 new movies per year ha.