Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
"Violating their first amendment"

Fuck them

Eventually they were told: The school's WiFi system requires students to use individual IDs to get online. After they log in once, their phones automatically connect whenever they are on campus.

At 11:35 p.m. on May 23, the students' IDs began auto-connecting to the WiFi. It took only a few clicks to find out exactly who was beneath those T-shirt masks.

it's always the smallest things

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like it's been, and still is a shithole considering the mentions of the things behind the scenes and the new Senior "prank".

The way they just describe the crimes as "a blur" really shows how fucked up they were in the first place.

Even if these kids "learned their lesson" the rest of the class hasn't.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Y'know what's a senior prank? Planting thousands of sporks in the front lawn. Parking a car in the hallway overnight. Not blatant fucking hate crimes.

Mathiassen

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Kids are so dumb. Everything's a joke until it's not.

btw, is there a name for the writing style used in the article? Reads like a novel.

dmann

Oct 27, 2017
TF kind of sentence is that? Weekends in jail? They should have served 6-12 months minimum.

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
"He has filed an appeal, still arguing that his First Amendment rights had been violated."

What the shit is this.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
People put prank at the end of anything these days

*cracks someone over the head with a bat*

PRANK! You see it's funny because you weren't planning on going to the ER today!

Shit like this is aggravating to no end. Its really fucking tiring to see overtly bigoted white people get treated like doe-eyed babes filled with innocence. Happens with White Women and Kids the most.

"Oooohhhhh I had no idea the KKK were murderous terrorists..... I couldn't be racist, its just a jokeeeee"

Somehow, some fucking way they know enough that such crap gets a rise out of people but they have no grasp on how "serious" their actions are.

Like everybody around them is a bunch of idiots. And matters are made worse when you have even more idiots coming to rally for them and give them "benefits of doubt"", you even see that shit on this site as well.

Its annoying as fuck, then legally you get a wrist slap on top. Drives people mad.

subrock

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Alternate title: A black principal, four white teens and the hate crime that became a hate crime (WaPo)

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
A swastika was a Hindu symbol that the Nazis reversed and bastardized and is an internationally known hate symbol.
Yes, painting a reverse swastika is a hate crime and is an active act of racism and hate.

"I spray paint one racist thing and, suddenly, I become a racist? Just because I did it doesn't mean I hate Jews, gay people or black people "

"oh I just shot a dude, does that make me a murderer?"

Yes, yes it does.
I've heard that the reversing thing is a misconception, and the Hindu swastika goes both ways. Which makes some sense; why would they feel like they had to keep it only oriented the same way when it wasn't a hate symbol for most of its history. I think moreover, it's just really fucking obvious why you're using a swastika. You're white, you're not Hindu or Buddhist or anything else that directly links to those, you're not using it in any sense connected to religious unity or tolerance or anywhere else you'd expect a religious symbol to go. Fuck out of here.

Like, I'm Indo-Aryan, but even I don't go around calling myself an Aryan on a regular basis. It's would be still very obvious if I decide to shift from using it to describe historical ethnic and language groups from Iran and northern India to using it as Nazi propaganda.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Say what? Why? Also:
The Trump thing would have to be a prank by liberal students right (racist liberal students)? Conservative students would lack the self awareness to know that Trump and MAGA are racist symbols.

I dunno, that was totally out there and weird that the article ended on that with no follow up.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
To some people, racists are mythical beasts like the basilisk or the draugr. They'll agree that racists are bad, they just don't agree that you should go around calling people "racists" if they haven't turned anyone to stone and you've seen them cross running water.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
"I didn't know I was committing a hate crime"

*after googling if committing a hate crime is illegal*

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Shit like this is aggravating to no end. Its really fucking tiring to see overtly bigoted white people get treated like doe-eyed babes filled with innocence. Happens with White Women and Kids the most.

"Oooohhhhh I had no idea the KKK were murderous terrorists..... I couldn't be racist, its just a jokeeeee"

Somehow, some fucking way they know enough that such crap gets a rise out of people but they have no grasp on how "serious" their actions are.

Like everybody around them is a bunch of idiots. And matters are made worse when you have even more idiots coming to rally for them and give them "benefits of doubt"", you even see that shit on this site as well.

Its annoying as fuck, then legally you get a wrist slap on top. Drives people mad.

I've had to explain to people that lack of physical violence doesn't make something not racist

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Something must be seriously wrong with the student culture for them to even contemplate something like this. Punishing a few kids won't fix it. The rot goes deep.

Oct 28, 2017
Good article indeed. It's cool to read off a crime and with the sentencing. That ending makes my fucking blood boil though. Dumb Racists kids.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"He has filed an appeal, still arguing that his First Amendment rights had been violated."

What the shit is this.
The argument is that the spray painted statements are vandalism, and vandalism is undeniably a crime, but the type of statements made (e.g., all this racist shit) can't be punished more or less than other statements (e.g., spray painting "BURTON IS A BUTTFACE") without violating the First Amendment. The First Amendment prohibits the state from abridging free speech, the state (in this case, local government in Maryland) charged them with both vandalism and a hate crime based on the statements (speech), thus they're claiming a constitutional issue to penalize them for speech.

Not saying I agree with the argument, but that's the legal argument.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
To some people, racists are mythical beasts like the basilisk or the draugr. They'll agree that racists are bad, they just don't agree that you should go around calling people "racists" if they haven't turned anyone to stone and you've seen them cross running water.
Yeah, from experience a lot of white people define "racist" as "KKK" so as long as they aren't lynching people they can't be racist.

There's also that thing where they went "just because I did a racism doesn't make me racist.". Like, ok, on a philosophical level that might be possible, but does that matter? To anyone hurt by your actions, does it matter what your intent or even true beliefs actually are? All that matters is that they've been hurt.

zeioIIDX

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
"Eventually they were told: The school's WiFi system requires students to use individual IDs to get online. After they log in once, their phones automatically connect whenever they are on campus.

At 11:35 p.m. on May 23, the students' IDs began auto-connecting to the WiFi. It took only a few clicks to find out exactly who was beneath those T-shirt masks."

Got 'em.
As an IT security professional, I love this so much.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Several White seniors at my high school, I believe, were expelled when I guess somebody told on them that their Senior quotes in the yearbook had coded racist messages.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Then he saw it: this year's version of a senior prank. A tractor was pulling into the parking lot. On the front was an old couch bolted to the forklift, a sign that read "2019," and a few students sprawled on the cushions. On the back was a blue flag. "TRUMP," it read, "MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN."

And nobody going to that school learned anything from this except to make your racism just a *little* less overt by hiding it behind a layer of MAGA rather than going straight to the swastikas and slurs. I know that supporting Trump doesn't fall under the legal definition of hate crime, but I wouldn't shed any tears if the perpetrators of this 'prank' were punished for it.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
"prank" like fuck off. These little fucking stupid shits deserve as big of a punishment as possible

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What kind of boggles my mind is how they thought this would be a good "prank" in 2019?

They are high schoolers, not 5. How don't they understand this is stupid and wrong? And that they will be found out too.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
God damn. Yeah shit Iike this is why I hated going to a majority white high school. It never got this bad but every day I was pelted with diet or straight up racism. Being one of the lone minorities was absolute suffering.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
"I spray paint one racist thing and, suddenly, I become a racist? Just because I did it doesn't mean I hate Jews, gay people or black people."

No, you don't become a racist. It means that you were always more racist than you had assumed you were, based off of nothing but the inertia that carried you from no one telling you otherwise.
Also as of now you're willing to harm actual people with your hateful message so yes you do engage hate on them with hateful behaviour and yes bingo you're racist. Fuck off and change or fuck off forever

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I'd be fine with that punishment of these kids showed remorse or took responsibility for the crimes.

Judging by the quotes in here they see themselves instead as victims of the media and the criminal justice system, which is just as disgusting as the hate crime to me and I imagine continues to be damaging to minorities who always have to read this shit.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It's amazingly consistent how white kids seem to routinely be the ones to pull flagrantly racist shit to this degree. Wonder why that is.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
What kind of boggles my mind is how they thought this would be a good "prank" in 2019?

They are high schoolers, not 5. How don't they understand this is stupid and wrong? And that they will be found out too.
Trump and his cronies embolden these idiots.

Also, all the disgusting memes that are being thrown around like it's nothing. They think they can do the same in real life as they do on the Internet.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck those 4 racist students they clearly knew what they were doing and only got a spa on the wrist for what they did. Some of their excuses were just straight up awful. I will say this I loved how they got caught.

The principal seems like a cool dude and I'm sorry he had to go through a situation like this.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"Eventually they were told: The school's WiFi system requires students to use individual IDs to get online. After they log in once, their phones automatically connect whenever they are on campus.

At 11:35 p.m. on May 23, the students' IDs began auto-connecting to the WiFi. It took only a few clicks to find out exactly who was beneath those T-shirt masks."

Got 'em.

Geofencing a public boon?

No in context at least, that's awesome lol.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
These kids, and their parents. They think being racist is something you choose to be called. And while there are racists who admit to it, most of them don't.

Racism is the things you do and the way you treat people different from you.

American culture in general doesn't understand this.

Last edited: